Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zrs70
Topic Author

Do you have tatoos and/or multiple piercings?

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:40 pm

I am not tatooted or pierced at all. The thought of it gives me the hibi jeebies. I don't like pain.

But I also don't understand what leads to multiple tatoos and piercings. Is it about individual expression? Is it about art? Is it about rebellion?

Certainly it differs for each person.

There are those whose bodies are completely covered.

Curious to know from our board... If you have tatoos, have you ever regretted it?
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

coolian2

Re: Do you have tatoos and/or multiple piercings?

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:55 pm

I have a Rebel Alliance logo on the inside of my left wrist, and a small (so far, I haven't finished the rest of the design) tattoo on my chest. Got them in about July of last year. No regrets and if anyone ever has an issue with the one on my wrist I'll just wear strapping over it. It's been a great conversation starter.

The one on my wrist is because I've wanted to do it for years and it's more about representing my interests, the one on my chest is meant to be a bit of an indigenous people of places I've lived life story of me. I'd been thinking about it for years so I don't consider it stupid or anything. I'd decided a few months previously to definitely do it, but getting the lady du jour to drag me to a place was spur of the moment just do it time.

I've gone out with a few women with tattoos and they've ranged from "really?" to actually pretty cool and well thought out.

Interestingly, the one on my chest hurt more the one on my wrist, even though the chest is much more basic and was a lot faster. The worst part afterwards was how weird it felt when the hair growing back on my chest rubbed the wrong way on clothes etc.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

einsteinboricua

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:00 pm

I will never say never to tattoos, but I don't like them and have no plans of ever getting one. I feel the purpose of a tattoo is to be able to show it (why would I tattoo something in a place even I can't see and remains covered up...like the back?) but I currently don't have the body for it nor has a design actually popped into mind for it. I like the idea of sleeve tattoos, but I'm afraid this will be a "yay got it done...but now I don't want it anymore".

I do have piercings (each earlobe). My very first piercing was a helix piercing that after two years never really fully healed. Took it off for a job interview and when I tried to put it back it wouldn't go. I decided it was for the best and left it alone until a year or two later when I decided to pierce my earlobes. Aside from an occasional flare up every now and then, it's been good. Only downside is how small the needle was so I'm trying to make them just a tad larger in order to insert hoop earrings. In the meantime, the studs are small enough to blend in through a professional atmosphere.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

falstaff

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:26 pm

I don't have any piercings, but I have two tattoos. On one arm I have a Falstaff Beer logo and the other arm has a Briggs & Stratton engine logo.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

bgm

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:39 pm

Tattoos look cheap and trashy, and don't give a good impression at all. I don't know why, but when I see someone covered in tattoos, it feels like they have no self worth. Kinda like a self-destructive thing.

Piercings look fine, although too many can look a bit too much.

Of course, this is only my humble opinion. :)

B777LRF

Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:57 am

Funny story. Last summer one of our agents asked me what the policy was on tattoos. 'Nothing visible' I answered, apart from that there's no policy. Off she went on a 1-month trip to Asia, and when she came back her right lower arm was covered in some kind of tribal scribble. I met her as we both got off the metro, and I remarked on her new tat. 'Looks like you'll be wearing long-sleeved shirts from now on'. I said. She looked at me with that puzzled and slightly offended look, only millennials will give you when it dawns on them reality is not in tune with their perceptions. 'But I don't have any long-sleeved shirts' she said. 'Wear your jumper' I replied. 'But it's summer and it's warm, I can't wear a jumper' she insisted. 'Call your duty manager and say you can't report for duty then' was my reply. That really upset her, and as I left her behind near the check-in area, she was reaching for her phone.

Few minutes later I get a call from the DM, who's had a conversation with the employee. 'Is it true you said she can't report for duty without covering up her arms?' he asked, to which I replied in the affirmative. 'But, we're short staffed today and really need her at check-in'. I suggested they called someone else in, and left the rest for HR to decide on.

I don't make the rules, and don't necessarily agree with them. They are, however, corporate rules that everyone is well aware off. One could successfully argue it's unfair, as the boys working the ramp are allowed to have visible tats. But, then again, nobody ever said corporate rules are always fair, let alone well considered.

End of the story? She got a written warning for reporting for duty in an 'unfit' state, got herself a batch of long-sleeved shirts and wore them all summer long.

Couple of months later, another of our female staff members returned from a trip to Asia sporting a tat on the front of her neck. 'Nice tat' I said, 'now close the top button of your shirt so it's not visible'. I got the usual 'but it's warm and I can't breath with the top button closed'. 'Should have thought about that before you got the tat' I thought to myself, before once again making her aware of the rules governing visible tats in the company.

To say I'm unpopular with the female tattooed millennial crowd would be an understatement, but that's something I can easily live with.

Morale of the story: Tatoos may be cool in the present fashion trend, but it's becoming a fad and fads have a tendency of fading out. But if you get yourself a visible tattoo, do so only if you're absolutely clear that it may hinder your employment prospects.

It's not that I don't like tattoos; I've got a couple of them myself. Both are unique and very personal, and were only applied after years of contemplating. I've got one on each shoulder, where they will never be visible when I'm in a professional capacity.
Signature. You just read one.

KruegerFlaps

Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:16 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
I feel the purpose of a tattoo is to be able to show it (why would I tattoo something in a place even I can't see and remains covered up...like the back?)

I can understand that due to employment prospects and/ or company policies I person might decide on a hidden tattoo or one that can be shown when they're at a nightclub, for example. But there is also the possibility that it might be an intimate secret that you share with someone close to you.

bgm wrote:
Tattoos look cheap and trashy, and don't give a good impression at all.
Would that not depend on the design of the tattoo as well as the ability of the tattooist? I agree that some can be poorly executed, be over the top, or a questionable subject matter but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

bgm wrote:
it feels like they have no self worth.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Some people might have tattoos because they come from a culture where wearing tattoos is traditional. Some because they wish to identify with a group, so there might be some peer pressure involved. Others might simply wish to express a particular part of their individuality, so it isn't necessarily about a lack self worth.

For myself, I have neither tattoos nor piercings simply because I have never felt the desire. But I do think that on some people a tattoo looks good. On others, not so much. But then, the same can be said about the way people choose to dress. What suits one, looks terrible on another.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt Speech, 1783

VapourTrails

Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:59 am

B777LRF, thanks for sharing that. Was a good read.

After saying that I will get a tattoo or three, probably after I retire from work, I have now decided NOT to get any.

I like and admire tattoos on others, well, some, that are well done and I can interpret some meaning to myself.

I just think that they've become mainstream and they will eventually fade (pun intended) as a thing to do, and frankly, yes, I will be stuck with them.

The fad of bolts through the tongue or the eyebrow seems to be a passe thing these days, you don't see THEM anymore?

It might sound funny, but I have used temporary tattoo transfers, that I can wear and love it, like a piece of jewellery, when I feel like it, or for a particular occasion. That seems to be where I am happy to be at with the whole body art thing.

As soon as I started wearing a temporary tattoo this time around as I started again in 2016, the whole been there done that thing, made the desire to get a real one just not so important anymore.

I thought about getting one (just) for DVI (disaster victim indentification) but even that may not be all that effective.

For the piercings, I was going to get a second set of ear piercings, when two or three seemed a thing to do, but glad I didn't. Well, they are a lot easier to reverse than tatts anyway.

The multiple ear piercings though.. another thing that went out of fashion, or people realised they didn't have the desired effect of getting noticed, or whatever. :praise:

IMHO if someone asked my advice on if they were going to get one, I would say..

..try a temporary one first.

..make the decision while sober.

..choose very carefully where you get it and what you get.

..bear in mind that it may limit your employment prospects for the rest of your working life.

..as far as I am aware, getting a tattoo removed is more expensive and painful than getting one, and apparently, the tattoo removal business is booming.

einsteinboricua

Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:25 am

B777LRF wrote:
Funny story. Last summer one of our agents asked me what the policy was on tattoos. 'Nothing visible' I answered, apart from that there's no policy. Off she went on a 1-month trip to Asia, and when she came back her right lower arm was covered in some kind of tribal scribble. I met her as we both got off the metro, and I remarked on her new tat. 'Looks like you'll be wearing long-sleeved shirts from now on'. I said. She looked at me with that puzzled and slightly offended look, only millennials will give you when it dawns on them reality is not in tune with their perceptions. 'But I don't have any long-sleeved shirts' she said. 'Wear your jumper' I replied. 'But it's summer and it's warm, I can't wear a jumper' she insisted. 'Call your duty manager and say you can't report for duty then' was my reply. That really upset her, and as I left her behind near the check-in area, she was reaching for her phone.

Few minutes later I get a call from the DM, who's had a conversation with the employee. 'Is it true you said she can't report for duty without covering up her arms?' he asked, to which I replied in the affirmative. 'But, we're short staffed today and really need her at check-in'. I suggested they called someone else in, and left the rest for HR to decide on.

I don't make the rules, and don't necessarily agree with them. They are, however, corporate rules that everyone is well aware off. One could successfully argue it's unfair, as the boys working the ramp are allowed to have visible tats. But, then again, nobody ever said corporate rules are always fair, let alone well considered.

End of the story? She got a written warning for reporting for duty in an 'unfit' state, got herself a batch of long-sleeved shirts and wore them all summer long.

Couple of months later, another of our female staff members returned from a trip to Asia sporting a tat on the front of her neck. 'Nice tat' I said, 'now close the top button of your shirt so it's not visible'. I got the usual 'but it's warm and I can't breath with the top button closed'. 'Should have thought about that before you got the tat' I thought to myself, before once again making her aware of the rules governing visible tats in the company.

To say I'm unpopular with the female tattooed millennial crowd would be an understatement, but that's something I can easily live with.

Morale of the story: Tatoos may be cool in the present fashion trend, but it's becoming a fad and fads have a tendency of fading out. But if you get yourself a visible tattoo, do so only if you're absolutely clear that it may hinder your employment prospects.

It's not that I don't like tattoos; I've got a couple of them myself. Both are unique and very personal, and were only applied after years of contemplating. I've got one on each shoulder, where they will never be visible when I'm in a professional capacity.

Man, I wouldn't want to work for you. And it's not the first situation you've reported where you may come out as a bit too harsh.

First of all, you say there is no policy, so why would she think it was a bad idea to tattoo something? If it had been me, the "nothing visible" would be interpreted as YOUR preference, but upon learning that there is no policy I'd use that as a defense. If my manager faulted me for coming in to work in jeans and tennis shoes but said that there's no dress code, his word goes down immediately because the company has no dress code policy other than to dress in keeping with good taste. In the same manner, if you told her "nothing visible, but no policy", what you're telling her is "it's preferred that you don't have visible tattoos but technically speaking I can't bar you from having one. Just make sure it's discreet".

But then later on you talk about corporate rules? Which one is it? The corporate rules don't necessarily preclude a person from having a visible tattoo depending on their line of work, and may even be flexible enough to allow something discreet that still is keeping with good taste (like guys with their ears pierced and wearing small studs).

There are ways to enforce the rules without being a dick. Don't get me wrong: I fully agree with you on how tattoos in the workplace just don't mix depending on the environment and that if you do get one, be prepared to accept that not everyone thinks they're appropriate for a corporate environment, especially if it's in an unusual area like the neck, face, or wrist (sleeves can be covered). But as a manager or supervisor, I would have called the person over, explain why tattoos are not appropriate (even if there's no policy), and let them off with a warning and a reminder that they need to be covered. A second instance can then result in corrective action, like a memo.

You can be seen as a manager who helps people or a manager who could care less about his employees. With the stories you've posted, you definitely lean toward the latter, and you may not care much for it, but eventually it comes back to bite you when it's time to move jobs or ask for promotions.

JJJ

Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:48 am

zrs70 wrote:

Curious to know from our board... If you have tatoos, have you ever regretted it?

I have three. Two I got almost 20 years ago when I was playing in a band, the 3rd one maybe 10 years later. One on each shoulder and one on my left wrist.

I like them, they're not visible while I'm wearing shirts and I can wear a watch over the wrist in a pinch, like when I travel to particularly conservative countries. I also recently hired a saleswoman in his early 30s with a small visible tattoo on her hand (a small origami bird, maybe 3cm wide) and it wasn't even part of the conversation.

I would definitely inquire about someone coming with full sleeves, neck or head tattoos, though.

Aesma

Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:27 am

What about long hair (for a man) and/or beard ? I'm not into tattoos or piercings, but for a time I wore long hair, managed with a pony tail. I didn't have to worry about work prospects as I was a student, but nowadays, I wonder how it would go. I have not much hair left but am hopeful future medical advances will allow me a second attempt at it.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

einsteinboricua

Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:19 am

Aesma wrote:
What about long hair (for a man) and/or beard ? I'm not into tattoos or piercings, but for a time I wore long hair, managed with a pony tail. I didn't have to worry about work prospects as I was a student, but nowadays, I wonder how it would go. I have not much hair left but am hopeful future medical advances will allow me a second attempt at it.

To me, it depends on how well kept it is. Straight hair usually is better than curly hair (my opinion), and there's a certain hair type and haircut that allows someone to either sport their hair loose or in a pony tail.

In my company, I've seen guys with pony tails...full head of hair or balding (this actually looks bad), but it's all because they don't interact with customers and they all have straight hair.

WarRI1

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:12 am

I have never understood tattoos really. Of 5 brothers, I am the only one without one. Most in my younger days were service time tattoos. I have nothing against them, but I really do not understand piercings. I find them repulsive especially when food servers have them visible. I have removed myself from an area where I have noticed them after being seated. Not compatible to my food enjoyment.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

coolian2

Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:41 pm

Interestingly I currently sport a beard. It's a tad unkempt but I trim it, and if needed I'd remove it. I've just found that women love it, so it hangs around. It gets a bit ginger and grey which is a little less than ideal. I also finally got a haircut recently and my hair is thinning - my scalp can now get sun bunt but really I don't care. Other than it bloody hurts.

I like to think I'm a classy savage. At some point I will accept that I'm balding and need to shave my head - so I can but sunblock on - but at the moment I'm happy. I've managed to get jobs looking the way I do, and nobody has expressed issues with me becoming a teacher looking like this.

I don't mind piercings on other people, but on me it's an absolute no. Scares me too much.

coolian2

Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:42 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
I have never understood tattoos really. Of 5 brothers, I am the only one without one. Most in my younger days were service time tattoos. I have nothing against them, but I really do not understand piercings. I find them repulsive especially when food servers have them visible. I have removed myself from an area where I have noticed them after being seated. Not compatible to my food enjoyment.

I know this post is essentially redundant, but kiss a girl with a tongue piercing.

vikkyvik

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:07 pm

B777LRF wrote:
She looked at me with that puzzled and slightly offended look, only millennials will give you when it dawns on them reality is not in tune with their perceptions.

You mean the same look I've gotten from my (senior citizen) parents when I tell them I'm not cutting my hair for job interviews?

Aesma wrote:
What about long hair (for a man) and/or beard ? I'm not into tattoos or piercings, but for a time I wore long hair, managed with a pony tail. I didn't have to worry about work prospects as I was a student, but nowadays, I wonder how it would go.

My last two jobs (and a third job I got offered but didn't accept), I've had long hair and a goatee when I interviewed. Hasn't presented any sort of obstacle whatsoever.

Each time, my parents asked if I was going to cut my hair before I interviewed. Each time, I said no. Each time, I got the job.

einsteinboricua wrote:
First of all, you say there is no policy, so why would she think it was a bad idea to tattoo something

Because he said:

B777LRF wrote:
'Nothing visible' I answered, apart from that there's no policy.

That's pretty clear to me.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Ken777

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:30 pm

Never planned on a tat, but that changed when I was set up for Radiation treatments after prostate surgery, The Radiation staff set up the "referenced points" (each a small dot) and they immediately tat those points. I have two and the better half had 3 when she had radiation for breast cancer.

11725Flyer

Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:10 pm

Both arms, and the upper third of my back. More to come.

WarRI1

Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:16 am

coolian2 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

I know this post is essentially redundant, but kiss a girl with a tongue piercing.

Not on my life, Ugly!!! I have seen them close up more than once, shown to me of course. I told my niece who we are close to and take out to lunch quite frequently about our distaste for them. She understands. No piercings, just a small ankle tattoo.

WarRI1

Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:26 am

Ken777 wrote:
Never planned on a tat, but that changed when I was set up for Radiation treatments after prostate surgery, The Radiation staff set up the "referenced points" (each a small dot) and they immediately tat those points. I have two and the better half had 3 when she had radiation for breast cancer.

I and many others hope we do not ever need those Tattoos. I hope they were beneficial for you and your wife. :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

coolian2

Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:07 am

WarRI1 wrote:
coolian2 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

Not on my life, Ugly!!! I have seen them close up more than once, shown to me of course. I told my niece who we are close to and take out to lunch quite frequently about our distaste for them. She understands. No piercings, just a small ankle tattoo.

All I can say is don't knock it 'till you've tried it. Once upon a time it would have been an outright no, but everyone has their things :)

usflyer msp

Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:09 am

WarRI1 wrote:
coolian2 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

I am with you, I hate tattoos in general, especially on women. I hate when I see an attractive, well dressed woman and her tattoos are showing. It just looks trashy IMHO.

And don't get me started on face and neck tattoos. Unless you are a Maori warrior, just say no! When I see those people, I just think "Oh, there is someone that plans on never having a serious job" ;(

WarRI1

Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:16 am

coolian2 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
coolian2 wrote:

All I can say is don't knock it 'till you've tried it. Once upon a time it would have been an outright no, but everyone has their things :)

I will certainly take your word for it. My things are beautiful unblemished and un-pierced bodies. (Women's by the way) Tongues that are the same. I like beautiful teeth, not metal baubles clanging around anywhere. I love smooth shapely legs, no drawings on them either. Call me old fashioned, maybe because I am. :cheerful: ;)

WarRI1

Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:20 am

usflyer msp wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
coolian2 wrote:

I am with you, I hate tattoos in general, especially on women. I hate when I see an attractive, well dressed woman and her tattoos are showing. It just looks trashy IMHO.

And don't get me started on face and neck tattoos. Unless you are a Maori warrior, just say no! When I see those people, I just think "Oh, there is someone that plans on never having a serious job" ;(

I could not agree more. I like the Moari Warrior bit. It is exactly like that and we are not in New Zealand either. Go figure !

coolian2

Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:52 am

WarRI1 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

I could not agree more. I like the Moari Warrior bit. It is exactly like that and we are not in New Zealand either. Go figure !

I am! And it can be good or bad. All personal taste

WarRI1

Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:26 am

coolian2 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

That it is, all personal taste, unfortunately sometimes there is a clash of personal tastes and personal space such as piercings. Tattoos do no bother me anytime, but piercings do sometimes when in my personal space such as waiters and waitress's.

coolian2

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:05 am

WarRI1 wrote:
coolian2 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

That it is, all personal taste, unfortunately sometimes there is a clash of personal tastes and personal space such as piercings. Tattoos do no bother me anytime, but piercings do sometimes when in my personal space such as waiters and waitress's.

I do totally get where you're coming from. I bet my current strappings (ankle, knee, wrist, elbow) are just as troubling.

seb146

Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:37 am

I have tattoos and had an infamous male piercing for a time and my tongue. The tongue was the scariest but it did not hurt. The worst part was the cheap plastic ball they used for the original. I was eating something hot and it came loose and broke. I was with my mom at dinner and told her I needed to find a tattoo shop to get a new one. She said she did not want to go because the tattoo women are usually lesbians and "I am afraid she will chase me around the room!" Of course she was joking but it was a good way to break the tension.

Tattoos are easy and annoying at the same time. Try to go to the same person and never let them wrap it in plastic.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

coolian2

Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:03 pm

I seem to be one of the few people who gets amused by the place I went to (in central Auckland) being called Christchurch.

Or rather Otautahi.

B777LRF

Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:04 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
First of all, you say there is no policy, so why would she think it was a bad idea to tattoo something? If it had been me, the "nothing visible" would be interpreted as YOUR preference, but upon learning that there is no policy I'd use that as a defense. If my manager faulted me for coming in to work in jeans and tennis shoes but said that there's no dress code, his word goes down immediately because the company has no dress code policy other than to dress in keeping with good taste. In the same manner, if you told her "nothing visible, but no policy", what you're telling her is "it's preferred that you don't have visible tattoos but technically speaking I can't bar you from having one. Just make sure it's discreet".

But then later on you talk about corporate rules? Which one is it? The corporate rules don't necessarily preclude a person from having a visible tattoo depending on their line of work, and may even be flexible enough to allow something discreet that still is keeping with good taste (like guys with their ears pierced and wearing small studs).

There are ways to enforce the rules without being a dick. Don't get me wrong: I fully agree with you on how tattoos in the workplace just don't mix depending on the environment and that if you do get one, be prepared to accept that not everyone thinks they're appropriate for a corporate environment, especially if it's in an unusual area like the neck, face, or wrist (sleeves can be covered). But as a manager or supervisor, I would have called the person over, explain why tattoos are not appropriate (even if there's no policy), and let them off with a warning and a reminder that they need to be covered. A second instance can then result in corrective action, like a memo.

You can be seen as a manager who helps people or a manager who could care less about his employees. With the stories you've posted, you definitely lean toward the latter, and you may not care much for it, but eventually it comes back to bite you when it's time to move jobs or ask for promotions.

1. Read again. There is a policy: No visible tattoos. Simple, easy, nothing complicated. Fail to adhere to that policy, and you have to wear garment that'll cover it up. If that's not an option, say you've smeared a tribal all over your face whilst on vacation, you'll be dismissed.

2. I'm not in business to make friends, I'm here to produce results. Sure, if we can have a laugh whilst doing it that's perfect, but at the end of the day results are what counts. And I've got zero time for millennials with a misplaced sense of entitlement. We've got a lot of them at work, and someone's got to be the adult from time to time, setting boundaries and generally being seen as a pain in their collective necks. I'm fine with that; those who shape up will learn a valuable life lesson, those who don't can ship out and try their luck elsewhere.

einsteinboricua

Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:47 pm

B777LRF wrote:
1. Read again. There is a policy: No visible tattoos. Simple, easy, nothing complicated. Fail to adhere to that policy, and you have to wear garment that'll cover it up. If that's not an option, say you've smeared a tribal all over your face whilst on vacation, you'll be dismissed.
Apologies. The way it was worded it sounded like there WAS no policy.

B777LRF wrote:
2. I'm not in business to make friends, I'm here to produce results. Sure, if we can have a laugh whilst doing it that's perfect, but at the end of the day results are what counts. And I've got zero time for millennials with a misplaced sense of entitlement. We've got a lot of them at work, and someone's got to be the adult from time to time, setting boundaries and generally being seen as a pain in their collective necks. I'm fine with that; those who shape up will learn a valuable life lesson, those who don't can ship out and try their luck elsewhere.

Managers/supervisors don't have to be friends, but at the end of the day you have to choose where on the spectrum you lie. If you're not cut out for people management, then maybe you shouldn't be in charge of people. Like I said: I totally would enforce company rules even if I disagreed with them. But I would be hesitant to flat out fire someone right off the bat or play with their money just because I'm all powerful. A simple "I want that covered up by tomorrow or else don't show up for work" would send the warning that they are not compliant and that failure to correct the situation will result in corrective action (which may be time off or being fired). The neck tattoo is hazy territory so I would be more strict.

Also, if "at the end of the day results are what counts", if an employee has no interaction with a customer, what does it matter how their appearance is? A person with a sleeve tattoo locked away in a lab will be productive regardless of whether they're wearing a suit or a polo shirt. There are standards, of course. A lab environment is not a place to dress fancy or loose. Show up in a tank top and flip flops, and out the door you go, but show up in a polo shirt and jeans, then what's it to me as long as you get the work done?

coolian2

Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:09 pm

I used to work in a call centre and had to enforce uniform rules (tatts were all good, and generally bloody impressive). I wasn't looking but someone in my team turned up in a skirt with a slit up to her eyeballs. The conversation, which was awkward as hell, was "Alicia, I would recommend not that again". Turned out she didn't think the cut was that high up and she got a pass from me as a one off. The next day I sent her and half of my team home because they were sick and couldn't talk.

On a more relevant note, I went to the NRL Nines yesterday and will be attending today. Holy crap I've never seen so many tatts and virtually none were bad.

Kiwirob

Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:32 pm

WarRI1 wrote:

They don't look good on most Maori these days either, it's been a long time since Maori were warriors.

There's also nothing worse than a skinny white guy with tribal tats.

B777LRF

Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:02 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Managers/supervisors don't have to be friends, but at the end of the day you have to choose where on the spectrum you lie. If you're not cut out for people management, then maybe you shouldn't be in charge of people. Like I said: I totally would enforce company rules even if I disagreed with them. But I would be hesitant to flat out fire someone right off the bat or play with their money just because I'm all powerful. A simple "I want that covered up by tomorrow or else don't show up for work" would send the warning that they are not compliant and that failure to correct the situation will result in corrective action (which may be time off or being fired). The neck tattoo is hazy territory so I would be more strict.

Also, if "at the end of the day results are what counts", if an employee has no interaction with a customer, what does it matter how their appearance is? A person with a sleeve tattoo locked away in a lab will be productive regardless of whether they're wearing a suit or a polo shirt. There are standards, of course. A lab environment is not a place to dress fancy or loose. Show up in a tank top and flip flops, and out the door you go, but show up in a polo shirt and jeans, then what's it to me as long as you get the work done?

I think you should read my post again. First of all, I gave the employee the option of covering up the tat by wearing a jumper, which she refused. You'll also find I did not fire anybody - I let the DM know the person was unfit to report for duty, and to let HR decide what, if any disciplinary action should be taken. And if you've read carefully, you'd noticed that the employee was working the front-line at check-in, where visible tats are not allowed. Further in my post I said it might not be fair, as the guys working the ramp are allowed to have visible tats. I don't make the rules, but I am paid to make sure they are followed - regardless of whether I agree with them.

As for where on the spectrum I lie, that's very simple: I lie on the side of order and discipline, and every single employee is told in no uncertain terms what the means at the beginning of their employment. Nobody gets kicked out for stepping over the line, not even the second time it happens. But they will be in for an adult conversation, and if they don't shape up we can't have them around. If that offends your sensibilities, so be it - companies are not kum-ba-ya singing democracies, where everybody gets to have a vote.

WarRI1

Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:07 am

Kiwirob wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

They don't look good on most Maori these days either, it's been a long time since Maori were warriors.

I am having trouble envisioning that. Maybe I am better off not being able to.

coolian2

Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:25 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

Well as a skinny white guy who will eventually have one that's annoying.

Moreso because I'm a proud New Zealander who is very slowly working on something that is reflective of my life.

Kiwirob

Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:48 pm

coolian2 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

Moreso because I'm a proud New Zealander who is very slowly working on something that is reflective of my life.

Hit the gym, get some big guns and tris, it's like skinny guys with skinny arms and wife beaters just looks stupid, the Justin Bieber look!

coolian2

Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:11 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
coolian2 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Hit the gym, get some big guns and tris, it's like skinny guys with skinny arms and wife beaters just looks stupid, the Justin Bieber look!

Oh that kind of skinny? My arms are probably my best feature and it has to tie in with the tatt on my chest. You only see me chest if I'm swimming or sleeping with you. I assume we'll never do the former and I hope like hell we don't do the latter.

Vallaby

Mon May 29, 2017 4:30 pm

I have a small poppy flower watercolor tattoo. I got it four months ago. I searched for a suitable drawing for a long time and found it here http://flowertattooideas.com/50-waterco ... y-tattoos/ I chose poppy because it symbolize strong family ties and eternal loyalty and devotion to the family.

727LOVER

Mon May 29, 2017 6:51 pm

You know what's missing from this thread?...PICS

I wonder if anyone has an airline logo? :lol:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

11725Flyer

Mon May 29, 2017 10:29 pm

coolian2 wrote:

You only see me chest if I'm swimming or sleeping with you. I assume we'll never do the former and I hope like hell we don't do the latter.

My vote for post of the year. :D

As I mentioned earlier, I have a few. On Thursday, I'm adding to one I already have. It will make it just visible below my right sleeve. It's my last one. (Until the next...)

edmaircraft

Tue May 30, 2017 1:47 am

I probably won't get a tattoo primarily because I can't make my mind up on what design I want, where I want it, how big I want it, etc. Maybe an Air Canada Rondelle on my shoulder, or a Dream Theater (my favourite heavy metal band) logo on my chest or top of my hand between my wrist and my knuckles, I dunno. As for piercings, I've never really felt any particular attraction to the idea of having pieces of metal embedded/sticking through me. Not sure what it is, but I'm just not fond of it. I personally find tongue and septum piercings ugly. For both, I've always thought (can someone correct me on this?) that it could hinder job prospects, especially as an airline pilot. What would the interviewers think if I looked like a hippie?
Let me up!

einsteinboricua

Tue May 30, 2017 2:43 am

edmaircraft wrote:
For both, I've always thought (can someone correct me on this?) that it could hinder job prospects, especially as an airline pilot. What would the interviewers think if I looked like a hippie?

Take them off during the interview process and subtly ask about a dress code. That was what I did before I joined my company. I've worn earlobe piercings since day 1. Studs, which are small and not loud. That's very simple compared to the many folks who have visible tattoos. In the corporate offices (think HQ and big division offices), tattoos are usually covered because people dress more formally...except engineers who are relaxed with jeans and polo shirts. Where I work, however, is an outpost, so people with sleeve tattoos are not uncommon.

As for a pilot, I really don't see an issue. You're in a cockpit and are really not the face of the company (that's the FA's duty). I would think airlines would be OK with small studs for men. Anything else is asking for trouble.

einsteinboricua

Tue May 30, 2017 2:46 am

727LOVER wrote:
You know what's missing from this thread?...PICS
If there's gonna be a back/chest tattoo, at least ensure it's on a fit body. Bring them on :lol:

727LOVER wrote:
I wonder if anyone has an airline logo? :lol:
I've seen people with the Nike, NBA, MLB, and many other logos. An airline logo wouldn't be surprising.

brentclark2003

Tue May 30, 2017 9:59 am

Personally had the tattoos which Lily sing a.k.a IISuperwomanII (YouTube personality) is having on each wrist. Both are punjabi for Nirbhao (which means without fear) and Nirvair (which is without hate).

mad99

Tue May 30, 2017 2:19 pm

the tramp stamp, Chinese words, tribal and the latest, a page of writing down your side, i just don't know why...

the best tat would be a winged unicorn complete with tramp stamp, tribal tats and some writing in a language you don't know. A fully sleeved winged unicorn!

treetreeseven

Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:01 am

Nah, the best would be a full back piece of Three Wolf Moon.

I have one tattoo which took almost exactly one year from root-cause epiphany to ink. It's a blue infinity symbol in Mathematica 1 font, but slightly modified at the center to appear as a Mobius Strip (or stylized Ouroboros). It's on the nape of my neck and I need it re-inked and the edges touched up.

I will likely get another this summer which will be maybe six or seven years from concept to execution. I still need to find an artist who is good at the style I want (high contrast, with the newer monochromatic green-black ink). The design will be a stylized top of a Douglas Fir tree, monochromatic and fairly abstract, little to no shading or pointillism. It's to go on the inside of my left wrist.

I will likely further get hand tattoos: TEND on my left hand, TOUCH on my right. However, that idea has only had six months dwell time since the events which caused its genesis, so I can wait on these. I am not in a rush.

All these are deeply personal to me. And, I'm lucky enough to live in an area and an era where this isn't a huge problem. I've worked with people with hand tattoos and neck tattoos and whatnot who were/are making six figures. Nobody gives a crap in the tech industry.

Where I live, tattoos are more than a fad. They may be one among suburban America, but there are artists here who've been working here for decades. There are plenty of morons walking around with terrible tattoos - after all, 90% of everything is crap, amirite? - but there are a number of people with thoughtful, beautiful or exceptional, and personally meaningful designs in my city. Including behind the hiring desk in plenty of positions and industries here.

Tramp stamps are actually weirdly rare here. If you see one, even odds are it's somebody from the suburbs. Or perhaps it's selection bias due to who I hang out with? Either way, there's a reason I chose to live here, I suppose.

treetreeseven

Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:07 am

Oh yeah, the text tattoos - they're currently in fashion so some people are getting them for dumb reasons, as people will do, but everyone I've actually known with text tattoos beyond a name/date type thing has them as a reminder of something deeply important. As for my TEND and TOUCH on either hand, it is to remind me what my hands are for.

mad99

Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:58 am

treetreeseven wrote:
Oh yeah, the text tattoos - they're currently in fashion so some people are getting them for dumb reasons, as people will do, but everyone I've actually known with text tattoos beyond a name/date type thing has them as a reminder of something deeply important. As for my TEND and TOUCH on either hand, it is to remind me what my hands are for.

i guess its no different than jewellery except for the permanent part.

i hired an engineer 5 years ago and during the interview i noticed that his ears were pierced but they looked like small slits. I thought to myself that he probably did it himself when he was 16. His first day he shows up with earrings about the diameter of a pencil.....why would someone do that to yourself?

coolian2

Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:49 am

I have two planned. A stylised Joshua Tree on my inside right wrist (U2 fan here) and a block text "Guilt is not of God" on my shoulder blade.