Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dfwjim1
Topic Author

CARMAX - Mercedes Question

Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:52 pm

I was checking the CARMAX website today and looking at their inventory of used MB C250s Sport priced between 20 and 22K with 35 to 45 K miles on them. I drive only about 8,000 miles per year (in Florida) for commuting so I do not mind at all buying a used car for cash. Would a C250 be a good purchase or should I avoid buying a used MB? I don't mind purchasing premium fuel but how are the maintenance and insurance costs on the 250s? BTW, I have used CARMAX in the past and really like the way they do business.

Thanks for your help.

AA747123

Re: CARMAX - Mercedes Question

Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:36 am

I would lean more toward finding one from a MB dealer and buy it CPO. I just purchased a 2014 E350 4Matic from a MB dealer as a CPO. I wound up getting better coverage (I did buy an additional warranty) and got better financing than Car Max could offer. I looked at Car Max and had trouble finding one with all the equipment I liked. You may get lucky and find just what you are looking for at Car Max, but I was more than happy with my purchase from a MB dealer as a CPO unit. Right now MB is offering 1.99 APR on CPO and two years of pre-paid maintenance.

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:53 am

AA747123 wrote:
I would lean more toward finding one from a MB dealer and buy it CPO. I just purchased a 2014 E350 4Matic from a MB dealer as a CPO. I wound up getting better coverage (I did buy an additional warranty) and got better financing than Car Max could offer. I looked at Car Max and had trouble finding one with all the equipment I liked. You may get lucky and find just what you are looking for at Car Max, but I was more than happy with my purchase from a MB dealer as a CPO unit. Right now MB is offering 1.99 APR on CPO and two years of pre-paid maintenance.

Thanks for the info!

QueenoftheSkies

Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:55 am

Maintenance and insurance costs will get ya for sure.

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:55 pm

QueenoftheSkies wrote:
    Maintenance and insurance costs will get ya for sure.

Yes, something that worries me in the high end European car segment so I am doing plenty of research.

diverted

Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:49 pm

If you do buy CarMax, on something like a late model MB, buy the extended warranty...they're usually quite well priced, and on cars like that, they tend to pay for themselves.

For an example, google Doug Demuro's CarMax saga with his Range Rover

DLFREEBIRD

Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:23 pm

Not sure why some are trying to push MB dealer. carmax has CPO. and nobody needs to buy additional warranty if the MB under 50k or less than 48 months the vehicle will still be under MB factory warranty.

I thought the OP was paying cash. Anyway, the last place i would go for financing on a used car or new car is a dealer that includes CARMAX. go to your local credit union Watch for add ons. Doesn't matter if your have 1.99 APR they are going to soak you by enticing you with no money down offers. Don't do it. The minute you drive off the lot your upside down, and it's going to take you a couple of years to dig out of that hole. Always pay cash for a car if you can. Try not to fall in love with a car, the people who do are the ones driving around paying 800.00 a month for a car.

Yeah MB are high maintenance and care, and more expensive to insure. That's a given. Just try to get something that's interior looks well taken care and has good maintenance records. avoid the opposite, excessive miles, poor maintenance.

ual777

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:29 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
    I was checking the CARMAX website today and looking at their inventory of used MB C250s Sport priced between 20 and 22K with 35 to 45 K miles on them. I drive only about 8,000 miles per year (in Florida) for commuting so I do not mind at all buying a used car for cash. Would a C250 be a good purchase or should I avoid buying a used MB? I don't mind purchasing premium fuel but how are the maintenance and insurance costs on the 250s? BTW, I have used CARMAX in the past and really like the way they do business.

Thanks for your help.

If it's one owner and low mileage I wouldn't worry too much. In fact you can often find a great deal at any car dealer if it has been on the lot for a while.

I had a (used) c350 for about 4 years and only had one issue.
    It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

dfwjim1
    Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:35 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
    Not sure why some are trying to push MB dealer. carmax has CPO. and nobody needs to buy additional warranty if the MB under 50k or less than 48 months the vehicle will still be under MB factory warranty.

I thought the OP was paying cash. Anyway, the last place i would go for financing on a used car or new car is a dealer that includes CARMAX. go to your local credit union Watch for add ons. Doesn't matter if your have 1.99 APR they are going to soak you by enticing you with no money down offers. Don't do it. The minute you drive off the lot your upside down, and it's going to take you a couple of years to dig out of that hole. Always pay cash for a car if you can. Try not to fall in love with a car, the people who do are the ones driving around paying 800.00 a month for a car.

Yeah MB are high maintenance and care, and more expensive to insure. That's a given. Just try to get something that's interior looks well taken care and has good maintenance records. avoid the opposite, excessive miles, poor maintenance.

OP here...thanks for the advice. Yes, my intention is to pay cash for my next vehicle purchase but my credit union is offering a 1.89 APR on used car loans so I might go that way and keep my car purchase money parked in the mutual fund that I am using as a new car fund. Fortunately my current vehicle is running well but it has 112,000 miles on it so I am doing some research to see what would be a good fit for me.

FriscoHeavy

Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:01 pm

I've got a 2014 MB C250 Sport, Black with 22,000 miles if you want it! :) Great, fun little car and no you DO NOT have to use 'Premium' gas. It says to, but I've done extensive research and spoke to many people, even at the dealership and have stated it is not necessary.

Regular Maintenance has been completed every year since I got the vehicle (I believe 3 services now).

Also, insurance is not expensive if you have a good driving record. My wife and I pay about $2,100/year for a 2014 & 2015 Mercedes. That is full coverage and very high coverage limits on each.
    Whatever

dfwjim1
    Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:51 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
    I've got a 2014 MB C250 Sport, Black with 22,000 miles if you want it! :) Great, fun little car and no you DO NOT have to use 'Premium' gas. It says to, but I've done extensive research and spoke to many people, even at the dealership and have stated it is not necessary.

Regular Maintenance has been completed every year since I got the vehicle (I believe 3 services now).

Also, insurance is not expensive if you have a good driving record. My wife and I pay about $2,100/year for a 2014 & 2015 Mercedes. That is full coverage and very high coverage limits on each.

Thank you for the information. I checked with my carrier, Geico, and my insurance would go up about $70 per month if I purchased a 2014/15 C250 and sold the car (older vehicle without comp and collision) that I am currently driving. Good to hear that premium gas is not needed for the MB. The other car my wife and I have is a VW Tiguan with a turbo that has a sticker on gas lid that says 93 octane only. I have done some research about the type of gas needed for the Tiguan and some sources say to use only 93 while others say 87 is okay. Neither of us drive that much so we have continued to put 93 in the vehicle.

jetstar

Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:15 pm

Check the owners manual for fuel specifications, it will probably say 93 octane recommended, minimum required 87.

My Volvo says that, and all I ever use is 87.

JetStar

MCOflyer

Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:43 am

The oil they rec. is expensive. Usually Mobil and some other expensive oil. Buy certified pre-owned and get the extended warranty. You can't go wrong if its been maintained properly. As always, do a carfax report to find out its history. .
    Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

diverted

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:08 pm

jetstar wrote:
    Check the owners manual for fuel specifications, it will probably say 93 octane recommended, minimum required 87.

My Volvo says that, and all I ever use is 87.

JetStar

Europeans and Americans use different ways of calculating Octane ratings. Euro RON and AKI (R+M)/2. 91RON is approx. 87 AKI. I've seen cars that say they need 91 RON, which is obviously just regular. So premium in North America, 93/94 Octane, works out to 97.5/98.5 RON.

Furthermore, part of the fuel injection system is the knock sensor. Even if your car required premium, if you run regular, the ECU will pull timing(and boost if it's turbo'd) to compensate. You'll be down on power, but it'll run and drive.

GuitrThree

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:55 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
    Not sure why some are trying to push MB dealer. carmax has CPO.

Well, CarMax has CPO that they made up. It's CERTAINLY not FACTORY CPO. And there is a difference. Anytime you are buying CPO, you NEED to be buying at a dealer that sells the same brand. Buying a CPO Camry, get it at a Toyota dealer. Buying a CPO Accord, buy it at a Honda Dealer, Buying a CPO Benz, buy it a MB dealer, etc.

Thinking that CarMax CPO is equivalent to Mercedes Benz CPO is simply wrong. Do your homework. You fell for the CarMax marketing lie. Like a lot of people do.

diverted

Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:02 pm

GuitrThree wrote:
    DLFREEBIRD wrote:
    Not sure why some are trying to push MB dealer. carmax has CPO.

Well, CarMax has CPO that they made up. It's CERTAINLY not FACTORY CPO. And there is a difference. Anytime you are buying CPO, you NEED to be buying at a dealer that sells the same brand. Buying a CPO Camry, get it at a Toyota dealer. Buying a CPO Accord, buy it at a Honda Dealer, Buying a CPO Benz, buy it a MB dealer, etc.

Thinking that CarMax CPO is equivalent to Mercedes Benz CPO is simply wrong. Do your homework. You fell for the CarMax marketing lie. Like a lot of people do.

Eh, again, read up on Doug Demuro's Range Rover CarMax adventures. Seems their warranty might even be better than a CPO warranty. And less hassling with the manufacturer. All the work done at the Land Rover dealer, so not by some shady guy in the back of the CarMax shop.

DLFREEBIRD

Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:49 pm

That's a pretty broad brush your painting with, ( some shady guy in the back of the CarMax Shop.

diverted

Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:49 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
    That's a pretty broad brush your painting with, ( some shady guy in the back of the CarMax Shop.

Sorry if it came across as a bit ambiguous. But I've seen some aftermarket warranties where the work is done through one of "their" shops...I'd much rather have it done by the dealer, or a niche independent shop. Wasn't trying to insinuate that CarMax employs a bunch of shady people. Poor choice of words on my part