Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mham001
Topic Author

Travel Ban is Trump's Second Best Liked EO

Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:39 pm

You'd never know this from all the screaming in the media...

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-tr ... lls-2017-2

tommy1808

Re: Travel Ban is Trump's Second Best Liked EO

Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:11 pm

mham001 wrote:

About what one would expect of you ask a sample group that is 81% white and 29% tea party supporters with Trump voters overrepresented with 40 to 37%. All higher than the US average.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

BestWestern

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:45 pm

Just because something is liked doesn't mean it's good.

I think trumps problem is that those who object are in the cities and in power. Just like less people at the inauguration doesn't correlate to his lack of popularity, they just don't live near DC.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

coolian2

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:58 pm

I'd rather chlamydia than herpes too.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

Flighty

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:12 am

I am pretty middle-of the road and I am fine with the ban. The voters heard about this idea and generally they responded just fine to it. Trump was then elected by a majority of electoral votes, which is the system we use. He then used authority that is written quite clearly in statute, and has been used before in a similar manner. This should not be done on the basis of religion, and luckily, it was not. It was done based on whether a country is a sponsor of terror according to the Obama administration.

Now, whether identity politics can be used as a cudgel to take control of the country in some sort of coup, I think is the question, and the answer is likely to be no. There is a lot of noise by some very ambitious, entitled people who believe they may have a ticket to massive unearned power and wealth, if they can replace the American system with a new pan-global, pro-plutocrat, faux leftist philosophy.

The Right is full of fake Judeo-Christians, and the Left is full of fake people who like to invoke Martin Luther King when it suits their own selfish interests. Each tries to take unifying, holy language and distort into their own vulgar grasps for power.
Last edited by Flighty on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

LMP737

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:14 am

Funny how Trump supporters complain about the media and yet when they think it supports their views.....
Speaking of polls what about the Trumps record low approval ratings for an incoming president? Or is that just fake news?

Here's a list of things that had support back in the day. Slavery, Jim Crow, internment of US citizens of Japanese decent, women not being able to vote, taking other peoples land. There's more of course.
Last edited by LMP737 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

salttee

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:18 am

Flighty wrote:
I am pretty middle-of the road and I am fine with the ban.
You're middle of the road? In another very recent thread I saw you gleefully proposing that the US would send B2 bombers to nuke Sacramento in the event California voters voted to Calexit. Middle of what road?

LMP737

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:19 am

Flighty wrote:
It was done based on whether a country is a sponsor of terror according to the Obama administration.

The Obama Administration labeled Iraq as a state sponsor of terrorism? When did this happen? Do you have a link?

Flighty

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:20 am

LMP737 wrote:
Funny how Trump supporters complain about the media and yet when they think it supports their views.....

Here's a list of things that had support back in the day. Slavery, Jim Crow, internment of US citizens of Japanese decent, women not being able to vote, taking other peoples land. There's more of course.

Absolutely. And, autocracies run by "intellectuals" did even worse things.

casinterest

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:23 am

mham001 wrote:

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-tr ... lls-2017-2

Liked doesn't mean it is intelligent. There really is no operating intelligence behind this ban
1. There was no threat that was different than before
2. There was no attack precipitating the ban
3. The advisers that penned the order did not consult with those tasked with enforcing such bans prior to it's implementation ( This means homeland security, border patrol, immigration officers and basically everyone tasked with actually securing the borders. This is the biggest cause for concern. because....
4. There seems to be no intelligence going on in the background on how to better screen the immigrants across these departments
5. no good guidelines on how to spot a terrorist
6. Nothing pointing to a breakthrough in identity politics.

Having traveled recently, no terrorist is going to make it into the US with anything other than his ideals and non weapon oriented possesion. At this point, other than active CIA/FBI tracking and watch lists, there is no way to identify a persons future actions.

Trumps Ban would have still allowed a person from Egypt, a citizen of which , was the perpetrator of an attack in France.

This Ban has no real substance to it, other than it satisfies the biases of the citizens against immigrants from percieved threats. It really does nothing better than what other less than scrupulous leaders did during the 20th century where they blamed a whole subset of society for non issues.

So while the ban is liked. It does not make it a good or productive decision. On the contrary, it is a destructive order, and is showing that Trump and his administrative would rather lead through fear, than intelligence and sound policy.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Flighty

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:25 am

salttee wrote:
Flighty wrote:
I am pretty middle-of the road and I am fine with the ban.
You're middle of the road? In another very recent thread I saw you gleefully proposing that the US would send B2 bombers to nuke Sacramento in the event California voters voted to Calexit. Middle of what road?

Of course. I can't believe we are even discussing whether states are allowed to secede unilaterally. It's ignorance and a lack of education about the most basic history and moral foundations of our country, in my view. Abraham Lincoln is perhaps the most highly regarded US President in all of history... read about why.

LMP737

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:42 am

Flighty wrote:
It was done based on whether a country is a sponsor of terror according to the Obama administration..

Now I can see that in the case of Iran, Syria and Sudan. But as I mentioned in an earlier post what about Iraq? Who said they were state sponsors? Or Somalia where the actual government while having limited power in the country is aligned with the west. Libya, can you show me who actually is in charge there? Same goes for Yemen.

Airstud

Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:01 am

BestWestern wrote:
Just because something is liked doesn't mean it's good.

I think trumps problem is that those who object are in the cities and in power. Just like less people at the inauguration doesn't correlate to his lack of popularity, they just don't live near DC.

I think Trump's problem is that he's a superspoiled, unbelievably ignorant, childish, querulous, hypocritical man-child who genuinely doesn't understand that the entire world isn't in fact obligated to contort itself into exactly what he at any given moment expects or desires it to be, and will release ignorant, petulant tweet after ignorant, petulant tweet after ignorant, petulant tweet until he tires himself out the way a superspoiled toddler does after a loud-mouthed, protracted tantrum when he doesn't get his ignorant, hypocritical demands met.

Is what I think Trump's problem is.
Pancakes are delicious.

mham001
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:29 am

tommy1808 wrote:
mham001 wrote:

About what one would expect of you ask a sample group that is 81% white and 29% tea party supporters with Trump voters overrepresented with 40 to 37%. All higher than the US average.

There are a number of dichotomies in the poll but a 40/37 split hardly accounts for a 55/38 approval, does it?

I had trouble with this
"As you may know, Supreme Court nominees typically require 60 votes in the Senate to
be conܧrmed. Do you think Supreme Court nominees should be required to receive 60
votes to be conܧrmed, or not?"

Absolutely false and misleading, there is no "requirement" for any such a thing and never has been.

N867DA

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:47 am

It is important to determine if the travel ban is well-liked because if more people like it, more people will vote Trump and he will win again. It seems a bit silly that needed to be said.

It is also important to flesh out whether this ban is a good thing, which is very different from whether it is well-liked. On strict legal terms it is not a Muslim ban but a ban against seven countries that have gotten a poor reputation in America in the past 10-15 years. Its purpose is to apparently keep America safe, but there are already people from those countries here right now. Some of them have become citizens. This does a very poor job of encouraging integration in America, which is something this country has done a great job--far better than other western countries--in the past several decades.

I always thought I was a perfectly integrated American who paid my taxes, loved my country, all that good stuff. I'm not even from one of those seven countries originally and I can already follow Steve Bannon's logic--no matter what I do, people like me will never be American. Now it's time to see what the majority of Americans believe, and later whether they were right.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

Hillis

Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:16 am

Nice to know the OP approves of racism, bigotry and hatred.

mham001
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:42 am

Hillis wrote:

I am tired of being on the receiving end of the same. It's time to fight back now.

tommy1808

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:22 am

mham001 wrote:
There are a number of dichotomies in the poll but a 40/37 split hardly accounts for a 55/38 approval, does it?

Having the Tea Party over-represented by a factor of almost two certainly does. That alone may turn 55/38 approval into 41/43% disapproval, if you consider them all or almost all in support of the EO. Assumption on my side, but not a crazy one.

But most importantly, if you have a group that over-represented in your sample it is mathematically pretty much impossible to explain that away with random chance and makes it plain obvious that there was a significant bias in who they picked to be asked. Even the white over representation is hard to explain given the sample size of more that 2k. But, they at least say they corrected for that. But not for political affiliation. I have the feeling if one would sit down and do the math, other groups may be over represented as well. Retirees also seem to be drastically over-represented, and they lean above average right as well.
I think there is a reason why they hide the study pretty deep link wise.

best regards
Thomas

vfw614

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:39 am

Fun fact:

Constitutional law is not based on opinion polls.

scbriml

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:05 am

Not in The 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals, it isn't! :rotfl:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

coolian2

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:05 am

Nobody else going to defend herpes vs chlamydia?
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

WIederling

Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:25 pm

vfw614 wrote:
Fun fact:

Constitutional law is not based on opinion polls.

He :-)

Intelligence and reasoning capabilities don't change over night.

Those righteous minds will take some time to understand what they really voted for.
Murphy is an optimist

wingman

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:13 pm

I don't know if Quinnipiac is a lefto-commie outfit or not but I know the name at least. Here's a counterpoint to the OP's poll. Someone's obviously full of shit, outright fake, or intentionally attempting to mislead the public:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plu ... acfaee7a1d

Hillis

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:15 pm

LMP737 wrote:
Speaking of polls what about the Trumps record low approval ratings for an incoming president? Or is that just fake news?

Good news = reliable news.
Bad new = fake news.

Simple, really.

mham001 wrote:
Hillis wrote:

I am tired of being on the receiving end of the same. It's time to fight back now.

I guess you could form a Brownshirt regiment. And I'm assuming you're white? Am I correct? If you are, don't insult my intelligence by telling me how awful you have it.

johnboy

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:31 pm

mham001 wrote:
Hillis wrote:

You poor thing.
Maybe you should leave California and hang out with the cool kids in northern Idaho. :roll:

OA412

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:03 pm

scbriml wrote:

Not in The 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals, it isn't! :rotfl:

3-0

johnboy wrote:
You poor thing.

Hey, have some respect! It's tough being a straight, white, middle-class man. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

solarflyer22

Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:34 pm

Most of America is ok with ditching the immigration process and being the so called "Leader of the Free World" too in my unsubstantiated opinion. The need for mass immigration has long passed. This was a relic from the 1800s. Iran is about 50% of the ban's Visas and the problem with letting all those people in as that you are kind of acknowledging they aren't terrorists. On the other hand, if you wanted to be friends with the people but not the Government, then why did you sanction and collapse the entire economy which obviously affects all the people. Obama wanted it both ways which I disagree with. He was sanctioning all of them while giving a pittance of Visas. Trump at least is consistent and the ambiguity of friend vs. foe is gone.

MaverickM11

Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:47 pm

What a dumb statement. The vast majority of voters would love more gun control and we know how far that would get. The irony is that if this administration spent more time on properly vetting the EO and less time on being idiot rednecks, it probably would have gone through without much of a fight or demonstration on the streets.
johnboy wrote:
mham001 wrote:
Hillis wrote:

You poor thing.
Maybe you should leave California and hang out with the cool kids in northern Idaho. :roll:

Our lil bigot doesn't like being called a bigot! Stop being meeeeeeean you guys.
Last edited by MaverickM11 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't take responsibility at all

Ken777

Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:52 pm

I don't believe that Trump knows what he is doing.

The silly ban on new regulations unless two others are eliminated? There was an article a few days ago about the problem the FAA has on issuing new Air Worthiness Rules. Deadbeat Donald does't have to worry about his safety, and doesn't give a damn about yours.

Remember Trump talking about deporting violent criminals first?? Now he has sent back a woman whose violent crime was making up a fake SS Number so she could work and pay taxes. That is beyond Trump as he doesn't pay taxes.

scbriml

Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:05 pm

Ken777 wrote:

That's becoming painfully obvious. I await his next Twitter rant with interest.

He's the American equivalent of Del Boy.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Francoflier

Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:22 am

scbriml wrote:
That's becoming painfully obvious.

Let's be honest here. Trump's incompetence has been in plain sight to anyone with half a working brain ever since he started to campaign...

Not to mention all his other, uh, characteristics, such as narcissism, vanity, megalomania, obvious lack of reasoning ability, lack of any substantial knowledge in any field, greed, bigotry, misogyny, laziness, hypersensitivity, impetuousness, callousness, etc.

What's surprising is that people are surprised by this.
;)

Nor should anyone be surprised by the fact that populist measures are somewhat popular...
This is not a measure of effectiveness. Abolishing taxes would be an extremely popular measure for instance, even though it would lead to societal collapse and anarchy (otherwise known as the alt-right dream).
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

seb146

Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:59 am

This American Life on NPR made a very good point: This ban was just something that happened with zero interaction with any intelligence or CIA or ICE or anyone else. Also, there is already extreme vetting for immigrants, thanks to 9/11. It was a very good show this week. Give it a listen.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

rfields5421

Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:36 pm

salttee wrote:
send B2 bombers to nuke Sacramento in the event California voters voted to Calexit.

I'm sure that was being sarcastic.

It has been firmly established beyond any doubt that our Constitution does NOT allow any state to leave the Union. For a state to attempt to do so on its own is an act of war/ a declaration of war.

(Nor can the other 49 states expel a state from the union.)

Until we get a new constitution or make a significant change to this one - such talk of leaving the union is just a mental pass gas exercise.

mham001 wrote:

Though his most popular executive order which I see daily quoted as having 74% of Americans approving is one he never signed - the one to cancel welfare benefits for illegal aliens.
Not all who wander are lost.

Nicoeddf

Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:49 pm

rfields5421 wrote:
salttee wrote:
send B2 bombers to nuke Sacramento in the event California voters voted to Calexit.

It has been firmly established beyond any doubt that our Constitution does NOT allow any state to leave the Union. For a state to attempt to do so on its own is an act of war/ a declaration of war.

Haha, so what? After all, the United Kingdom was not too pleased with the Declaration of Independence and until now the US runs around in circles of joy that it threw the "oppresor" back into the sea.

I'd say: Go California if you feel like it. It musn't start with war, but its legitimate for people to feel they don't belong to a social system aka "state" and make a (hopefully peaceful) process out of it.
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

Flighty

Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:06 pm

seb146 wrote:
This American Life on NPR made a very good point: This ban was just something that happened with zero interaction with any intelligence or CIA or ICE or anyone else. Also, there is already extreme vetting for immigrants, thanks to 9/11. It was a very good show this week. Give it a listen.

Well, I do think Trump works with ICE. But otherwise, yes. Trump is doing what the voters wanted. It's about economic migration, #1, and security, as kind of an afterthought.
Last edited by Flighty on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hillis

Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:17 pm

Flighty wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Well, I do think Trump works with ICE. But otherwise, yes. Trump is doing what the voters wanted.

Oh, they wanted coal ash in their streams and rivers? They wanted him to cave into big pharma and give them tax breaks and less regulation? They wanted him to threaten war against China, Iran and Mexico, did they?

And as for his promises to bring back their jobs, he won't be able to deliver, because the world has changed, and those jobs are gone, or, in the case of coal, are going. You won't see the rebirth of the American steel industry as it was up until the mid-1970's; you won't see the eruption of manufacturing other products that have gone oveseas back to America. The biggest reason for that is that Americans demand higher wages than those in other parts of the world, and the irony of this is that this President, who says he's for bringing these jobs back, has been guilty of outsourcing to other companies because labor is cheaper.

As for coal, Obama didn't kill it, the rise in Natural Gas, and in renewables is killing it. Coal is a dinosaur, and it will never come back. And those in the coal producing regions of this nation are deluding themselves if they think otherwise. What's needed is not to dig for more coal, but to invest in the region. I'm for a national policy and effort to transform the coal regions, most notably Southeast Ohio, Western Pennsylvania, Eastern Kentucky and Tennessee, and West Virginia, into areas of study, reasearch and development, and the manufacture of goods for renewable energy. The region can't stay stuck in the past. And we owe it to those men who are there now, and work their asses off, to get their future generation off of coal. That won't only help the environment, but also make the people in those regions healthier as well.

But if you believe this is what they wanted, with the daily chaos, lies and the clown-car mentality, they they and you are out of your minds.

seb146

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:01 am

Flighty wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Well, I do think Trump works with ICE. But otherwise, yes. Trump is doing what the voters wanted. It's about economic migration, #1, and security, as kind of an afterthought.

He is not doing what we wanted. Never forget that a majority of American voters voted for Hillary. Also, his supporters wanted her locked up and wanted a wall built with Mexico paying for it all and a better health care plan than ACA. When did any of that happen?

seb146

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:03 am

News outlets like CNN and NPR need to keep reminding We The People that not only did the orange menace ban travel from mainly Muslim countries but also banned travel from countries where he has no business interests.

Francoflier

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:18 am

What they need to keep reminding people as well, is that this ban is factually and demonstrably completely ineffective, and in fact, counterproductive.

It is only a feel-good measure for the angry electorate that feel for the fear, doom and gloom rhetoric we keep hearing.

Plenty of bad guys in Yemen, but none in Pakistan...
Plenty of Trump business in Pakistan, but none in Yemen...
Got it. Makes perfect sense. We're so much safer now. Yay.

:eyebrow:
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

tommy1808

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:37 am

rfields5421 wrote:

"Land of the Free", riiiiiiiiiiight....

There is international law to consider, and that certainly gives California the right to leave the Union, if they´d desire to do so.

best regards
Thomas

mham001
Topic Author

Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:23 am

johnboy wrote:
You poor thing. :

Get used to it, white boys do not need to roll over and subjugate themselves because they're white boys.

MaverickM11 wrote:
Our lil bigot doesn't like being called a bigot! Stop being meeeeeeean you guys.

You've provided quite a lot of evidence that you are about the most "bigoted" person in this forum. You ought to look up the word before using it so freely.

Ken777 wrote:
Remember Trump talking about deporting violent criminals first?? Now he has sent back a woman whose violent crime was making up a fake SS Number so she could work and pay taxes.

That's quite the spin. Identity theft is hardly a victim-less crime and is a felony for all, there is no illegal-felony pass.

tommy1808 wrote:
There is international law to consider, and that certainly gives California the right to leave the Union, if they´d desire to do so.

best regards
Thomas

So you have no problem with the whole Crimea thing? Or the annexation of Eastern Ukraine? I'm glad you clarified that.

tommy1808

Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:30 am

mham001 wrote:
Get used to it, white boys do not need to roll over and subjugate themselves because they're white boys.

Right, the Mater race doesn´t have to do anything at all.

So you have no problem with the whole Crimea thing? Or the annexation of Eastern Ukraine?

The only problem i have with that is the form. Properly done it is simple self determination of people, the way it was done i would have no problem with someone flattening the Kremlin to get most war criminals at once, or any asymmetric measures Ukraine deems necessary.
And, of course you are wrong as well, neither the whole Crimea thing, nor the Eastern Ukraine thing are legal under international law.

best regards
Thomas

jetwet1

Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:22 am

scbriml wrote:
Ken777 wrote:

That's becoming painfully obvious. I await his next Twitter rant with interest.

He's the American equivalent of Del Boy.

What an amazing thought....And yes, I tend to agree....

tommy1808 wrote:

"Land of the Free", riiiiiiiiiiight....

best regards
Thomas

Huh ?

International law doesn't mean anything, there are way for a state to leave the Union, the state can petition for Secession, will never be approved and there can be a revolution, very little chance of success.

International Law, good luck trying to get that on.

tommy1808

Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:42 am

jetwet1 wrote:
International Law, good luck trying to get that on.

It is really rare to find people that say Iraq´s invasion into Kuwait was ok.

best regards
Thomas

scbriml

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:20 am

seb146 wrote:
News outlets like CNN and NPR need to keep reminding We The People that not only did the orange menace ban travel from mainly Muslim countries but also banned travel from countries where he has no business interests.

Did Trump actually handover control of his business interestes to his sons as he said he would?

BestWestern

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:26 am

To be fair, Donald is the heart of the business. He can't extract himself from it.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

tommy1808

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:46 am

BestWestern wrote:
To be fair, Donald is the heart of the business. He can't extract himself from it.

to be fair, he shouldn´t have run for President in that case. It is not a part time job.

best regards
Thomass

Nicoeddf

Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:16 pm

mham001 wrote:

So you have no problem with the whole Crimea thing? Or the annexation of Eastern Ukraine? I'm glad you clarified that.

How is that in even the most remote kind of circumstance similar to the free (or not so much?) People of California hypothetically deciding on independency from the USA?

If Crimea would have decided fully on their own accord that they want to belong to Russia, or the People of Donbass, if would be the same. Russian soldiers helping certainly put that "own accord" thing in doubt.
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

MaverickM11

Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:31 pm

mham001 wrote:
You've provided quite a lot of evidence that you are about the most "bigoted" person in this forum. You ought to look up the word before using it so freely.

Uh huh...the same amount of evidence that supports all the other bigoted garbage you repeat.
BestWestern wrote:

Is he though? He clearly benefits from the business monetarily, but I suspect the less he has to do with it the better it performs.
I don't take responsibility at all

seb146

Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:37 pm

scbriml wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Did Trump actually handover control of his business interestes to his sons as he said he would?

Well, not exactly

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/23/news/do ... -business/

Oddly, this was the only link I could find.

From the article:

He refused to sell his ownership stake, a step that many ethics lawyers say is critical to avoid conflicts of interest.