AirbusMDCFAN
Topic Author

'A buffet is not a takeaway': London hotel shames Air India's crew

Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:58 pm

Link/Source: http://mashable.com/2017/02/09/air-indi ... _Lwci3dEqN

Hotel Renaissance London located close to Heathrow Airport alleged that "some AI crew members regularly come down for breakfast with empty boxes into which they fill food items from the buffet, presumably to eat later". 

" Some crew members have reportedly said that such incidents happen because of the reduced layover time in London that doesn't allow Air India members to catch up on food and sleep properly. "

"Moreover, meagre layover allowances prohibit them from eating out or spending on room service. Hence, some resort to sneaking food from hotel buffets."

What is the average length of time a flight crew (both flight ops and in-flight) layover in London after their flights from India.
What does the contract between said hotel and Air India cover aside from a room.

Sean-SAN-

Re: 'A buffet is not a takeaway': London hotel shames Air India's crew

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:25 am

This is also very common in the USA .. especially with regional FAs and the fact they often stay at hotels with free breakfast like the Hampton Inn.

Tedd

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:35 am

Sean-SAN- wrote:
This is also very common in the USA .. especially with regional FAs and the fact they often stay at hotels with free breakfast like the Hampton Inn.

Nothing wrong with staying at a hotel that offers free breakfast, I`d be happy to do it myself ( hope they`d have grits, bacon & eggs ),
but I wouldn`t go down to said dining room & start taking food away.....I think there`s a distinction.

eta unknown

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:48 am

Agree with above- if included in the room rate, then no problem. If the Renaissance leaked this, I suspect they are trying to get out of their contract by shaming AI.

teriyaki

Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:18 am

I think that the crew members are entitled to the buffet. The issue the hotel is having the guests take the food away which is generally frowned upon at any sort of buffet. It is a "eat all you can eat while seated here" kind of affair.

Ih8b6

Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:20 am

Hampton Inn breakfast sucks. Easily the worst of all the Hilton properties. Those regional flight attendants must be pretty damn desperate.
Over-moderation sucks

anshabhi

Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:24 am

There is more to this story that paid anti-Ai media won't tell you!
AI gives B/F and Meal coupons to all the crew members but they use B/F coupons for Buffet&meal allowance for shopping/saving
. Many senior AI crew believe that AI will reduce costs if it pays to hotel instead instead of giving the crew coupons.

They get a layover of 26 hours at LHR and $600-$800 as monthly layover allowance, apart from $2000+ monthly salary. By Indian standards, they are among top 0.1% of employees by salary.

The interesting thing is an AGM of In-flight services department writing a letter on her own to all crew members to not behave like this. AI management is becoming serious now.
(Everything leaked out because of this letter but interestingly, media quotes AI crew instead of management).
Last edited by anshabhi on Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZeeZoo

Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:39 am

Apparently it costs £10 room service for food.

DiamondFlyer

Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:40 am

Ih8b6 wrote:
Hampton Inn breakfast sucks. Easily the worst of all the Hilton properties. Those regional flight attendants must be pretty damn desperate.

You need to realize that a regional FA is paid slightly more than minimum wage and a Hampton is on the higher end of where they may stay on a trip.
From my cold, dead hands

uberflieger

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:18 am

AirbusMDCFAN wrote:
London hotel shames Air India's crew

The hotel isn't 'shaming' the crew. It also isn't 'alleging'.
Renaissance management is making AI management aware of the fact some crew members are regularly violating its restaurant policy. Totally legit. The contract is not with the individual, but Air India.

Armodeen

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:31 am

ZeeZoo wrote:

I think it's £5 at the Renaissance but that is a technicality. You very often see AI crew when staying there, I can't say I have noticed any unseemly breakfast behaviour though :D

SFOA380

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:34 am

As a hotelier with experience in gateway cities across the USA, I can tell you that airline crews from every corner of the globe misbehave; USA and U.K. are certainly no exception. As "partners" in the travel industry airlines and hotels are absolutely worlds apart. While hotels typically will bend over backwards to promote good service and ensure satisfied guests, airlines border on having contempt for their customers unless elite. That mentality can permeate an organization. Airlines known for exceptional service like Emirates, Singapore, Qantas and Air New Zealand have equally friendly and respectful crews.

ZeeZoo

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:37 am

Armodeen wrote:
ZeeZoo wrote:

I think it's £5 at the Renaissance but that is a technicality. You very often see AI crew when staying there, I can't say I have noticed any unseemly breakfast behaviour though :D

A senior cabin member, requesting anonymity, said, "There are a few rotten apples everywhere, not just among cabin crew members."

Though they decried the practice of takeaways from the buffet table, they pointed to three factors that could have got this practice going. "We land in London either at 7.30am or 6.30pm. We are dead tired by then as it's 14-15 hours from the time we have left home. So we just want to crash. Unlike earlier when the layover was 2 days, it's now only 26 hours and so we have to catch up on sleep before the next flight. Even so, only a couple of us would be bringing boxes to fill and eat later. Most don't do that," the crew member said.

"It's the worst for cabin crew who have been taken on contract as they are paid 60% less than the regular crew. The layover allowance is meagre and ranges from $600-1200 per month during which time we do at least ten layovers," he said.

Then again, room service is not provided for free in the said hotel. "It comes with a service charge of 10 pounds so as to discourage people from ordering meals in their room. So one has to dress up and go to the restaurant downstairs for a meal. The menu is limited to sandwiches and such things so one is not inclined to have that lunch/dinner every time one lands there. Since the hotel is located close to Heathrow airport, one has to take the long trip to the city to have a proper meal," he said adding which is why a couple of crew might have started taking some food to eat later.

dtw2hyd

Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:14 am

AI London Crew Hotel accommodation RFP.

1 Facilities to be provided in the Room rate.
1.1 Complimentary English Breakfast at Coffee Shop and Room Service.
1.2 Hotel should preferably offer Complimentary Airport transfers in Air Conditioned vehicles at the time of arrival and check-out. One vehicle for Cabin Crew is to be provided.
1.3 24 (twenty-four) hours Room service with adequate menu.
1.4 Complimentary laundry and pressing of one set of uniform / any 4 (four) pieces of clothes per person per rotation stay. However Crew on postings shall be given this facility on a daily basis.
1.5 Complimentary 2 (two) bottles of mineral water (1 litre each) and 2 (two) non alcoholic drinks per person per day. Room to be equipped with tea/coffee facility with daily replenishment and Iron/ Ironing Board.
1.6 Complimentary unlimited high speed Wi-Fi access (preferably >5 Mbps) in the room with connectivity for up to minimum 2 (two) devices for the entire duration of stay.
1.7 Complimentary usage of Swimming pool (if any) & Health Club/Fitness centre.
1.8 Complimentary use of Crew Lounge and access to Executive Lounge for Captains, if any.
1.9 Preferably free access to in-house entertainment facilities.

2.Other Facilities
2.1 Cabin-In-Charge will be provided with complimentary upgrades to higher category rooms.
2.2 Crew will be provided an early check-in and/or late check-out, at no additional cost, based on the flight pattern, as communicated by the airline. Hotel to confirm 24 (twenty four) hours check-in / check-out will be applicable. (Note: Air India will be billed on the actual rooms utilized on a 24 hours check out basis. For a check out exceeding 24 hours the following conditions shall apply:
1. No overlapping charges should be levied up to six hours.
2. Thereafter up to twelve hours, 50% of the room rent should be levied.
3. After twelve hours full rate will be applicable.

2.3 Cash Float – Allowances to be disbursed to Crew Members in cash in Local currency which will be reimbursed by Air India or Air India will maintain a float system.
2.4 The Hotel will recover any expenses incurred by the Crew member not covered by the quotation and shall have no claim against Air India for the same.
2.5 Priority/ Dedicated Check in / Check out at reception counter (i.e no waiting in queue)
2.6 Rooms shall be readily available to the crew on arrival at the hotel.

3.Medical Facilities
The Hotel, in case of emergency, shall arrange for medical assistance and doctor on call. The Hotel shall bill Air India for the expenses incurred for the same.

4. Meal Entitlement
4.1 The crew member will be entitled to complementary English breakfast.
4.2 The crew will also be entitled to F & B Discount on all Food & Beverage items purchased over and above the meal Entitlement.

5 Minimum Technical Specifications of Rooms
5.1 Minimum Room Size : As found suitable by the Committee
5.2 Must be free of external Noise (Noise proof )
5.3 Must have 100% Blackout Curtains to control levels of light inside the room
5.4 Must be well ventilated with Individual Temperature Controllers inside the room to control levels of Temperature

audian

Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:18 am

The crew should be regretting by now, given the attention this whole incident got. This sort of noise is good and bad. Good in the way that AI is serious on their employee conduct. Bad in the way that employee morale may be at stake.

anshabhi

Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:48 am

audian wrote:
The crew should be regretting by now, given the attention this whole incident got. This sort of noise is good and bad. Good in the way that AI is serious on their employee conduct. Bad in the way that employee morale may be at stake.

Only unionized aunty FA's morale will be at stake. New and young FA's are actually devoted towards towards AI

seahawk

Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:02 am

The location is hardly an excuse, when you have a McDonalds on the other side of the road.

Kiwirob

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:06 am

seahawk wrote:
The location is hardly an excuse, when you have a McDonalds on the other side of the road.

Hindus with there dietary requirements and McDonalds don't mix well.

B777LRF

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:12 am

seahawk wrote:

Apart from the religious restrictions, McD cannot be classified as a nutritious meal - let alone a healthy one - in any shape or form. It's called junkfood for a reason.
Signature. You just read one.

coolian2

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:21 am

seahawk wrote:

How to spot a wannabe CEO
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

tonystan

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:23 am

Appalling behaviour from the hotel if you ask me.

The Renaissance at LHR is actually owned by the Arora group who run many of the big name hotels around the airport including he Sofitel T5, Hyatt Bath rd and quite a few others. I'd be very reluctant to enter into any such contract with the hotel and company if this is how it deals with such matters, in a underhanded and quite frankly dangerous manner. It is a security concern that airline crew hotels be named publicly (I know it's not difficult to find out but still) and incredibly unprofessional.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

aviationaware

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:28 am

Granted, such behavior is utterly classless, but what difference does it make for a place like the Hampton Inn whether I eat my paid-for breakfast in the hotel or take it with me? If it were the Waldorf Astoria fearing for its reputation, ok. But the Hampton Inn? Give me a break.

seahawk

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:48 am

B777LRF wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Apart from the religious restrictions, McD cannot be classified as a nutritious meal - let alone a healthy one - in any shape or form. It's called junkfood for a reason.

Well how many healthy and nutritious components do you find at an English breakfast at a hotel? And McDonalds does have vegetarian and chicken products in addition to the 3 food options in the hotel and further within 1km distance. In my experience no hotel ever complained when you took an apple or a banana from the buffet without eating it right there, but they complained about crews filling containers at the buffet. In the end the hotel would either need to accept this for all guests or face the problem of explaining to normal business travellers why they are not allowed to do what aircrew are allowed to do.

ikramerica

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:49 am

ZeeZoo wrote:
Armodeen wrote:
ZeeZoo wrote:

A senior cabin member, requesting anonymity, said, "There are a few rotten apples everywhere, not just among cabin crew members."

Though they decried the practice of takeaways from the buffet table, they pointed to three factors that could have got this practice going. "We land in London either at 7.30am or 6.30pm. We are dead tired by then as it's 14-15 hours from the time we have left home. So we just want to crash. Unlike earlier when the layover was 2 days, it's now only 26 hours and so we have to catch up on sleep before the next flight. Even so, only a couple of us would be bringing boxes to fill and eat later. Most don't do that," the crew member said.

"It's the worst for cabin crew who have been taken on contract as they are paid 60% less than the regular crew. The layover allowance is meagre and ranges from $600-1200 per month during which time we do at least ten layovers," he said.

Then again, room service is not provided for free in the said hotel. "It comes with a service charge of 10 pounds so as to discourage people from ordering meals in their room. So one has to dress up and go to the restaurant downstairs for a meal. The menu is limited to sandwiches and such things so one is not inclined to have that lunch/dinner every time one lands there. Since the hotel is located close to Heathrow airport, one has to take the long trip to the city to have a proper meal," he said adding which is why a couple of crew might have started taking some food to eat later.

Some whine with their buffet?

I'm hungry and tired but I simply won't eat a sandwich!

There is no place to eat a "proper meal" between Heathrow and London...

I can't eat 2-3 meals with $60-$100 per layover.

Give me a break.

It sounds like the allowance is sufficient for basic needs, but some want either to pocket as much as possible or to eat higher end meals but not have to pay the difference.

As for the room service service charge, it's pretty standard around the globe but isn't per item. You can order a hot meal for now and a cold for later. Or pool orders with other crew members.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

VSMUT

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:28 am

anshabhi wrote:
They get a layover of 26 hours at LHR and $600-$800 as monthly layover allowance, apart from $2000+ monthly salary. By Indian standards, they are among top 0.1% of employees by salary.

Sorry, but 600-800 USD per month is absolutely nothing by european standards (and really, neither is 2000 USD). In some places (airports, hotels and the areas where crew-hotels are typically located) I would struggle to find just a single meal per day within that allowance. I know for a fact that a lot of European airlines have allowances that are 4-8 times as much. One LCC even has per diems that could potentially run up to 250 USD per day!

Being among the top 1% of salaries in India is worthless if you pay your bills in Europe. Meal allowances should reflect that.

ikramerica wrote:
'm hungry and tired but I simply won't eat a sandwich!

There is no place to eat a "proper meal" between Heathrow and London...

I can't eat 2-3 meals with $60-$100 per layover.

Give me a break.

It sounds like the allowance is sufficient for basic needs, but some want either to pocket as much as possible or to eat higher end meals but not have to pay the difference.

Sorry, with all due respect, this isn't just a case of doing so for a single week per year over during a holiday. This is the life of the crew, i.e. "hometime" or spare time if you will. They can't just go to the kitchen and make up whatever they want. They are also required to get the mandatory rest. These crews have to live with it day in and day out all year round. Have you tried eating sandwiches off a limited menu 2 times a day for an entire week, and then repeating that every other week?

I don't know how AI works, but if this meal allowance is all they get, then it is pretty shameful. If however they also receive other allowances such as per diems, then I absolutely agree with you.

:smile:

thekorean

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:37 am

Then why don't they tell the crew violating the rules to stop and threaten them with eviction?

migair54

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:38 am

dtw2hyd wrote:

1.2 Hotel should preferably offer Complimentary Airport transfers in Air Conditioned vehicles at the time of arrival and check-out. One vehicle for Cabin Crew is to be provided.
1.3 24 (twenty-four) hours Room service with adequate menu.

the mistake is doing it yourself, when you have complimentary room service english breakfast, now then the crew should be calling room service every five minutes asking for items in the breakfast, so the hotel can't complain and you still have the food in the room to do whatever you want.

I have taken food myself and I don't work for AI, sometimes because of the time difference you don't feel like having breakfast at the local breakfast time, but later you can't get, so I just got some food and save for later, and in many places the hotel staff even pack food for many people to take away, so I don't understand the hotel behaviour.

seahawk

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:53 am

It sounds like the crew eats at the buffet and then takes away another large amount of food to be eaten later. I am not aware of any hotel that likes this behaviour.

oldannyboy

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:06 am

VSMUT wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

Sorry, but 600-800 USD per month is absolutely nothing by european standards (and really, neither is 2000 US. In some places (airports, hotels and the areas where crew-hotels are typically located) I would struggle to find just a single meal per day within that allowance. I know for a fact that a lot of European airlines have allowances that are 4-8 times as muchOne LCC even has per diems that could potentially run up to 250 USD per day!

You wished! Wishful thinking on your part maybe? I think you will have to take a second look at the payscales of airlines like FR, AZ, VY etc.. not to mention the US regionals... :indifferent: :ill:

JannEejit

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:19 am

What typically are layover crews expected to pay for from their allowance ? Meals yes, what else, the hotel room too ? My employer used to pay me a flat daily rate to cover accommodation and meals whilst on layover jobs. I could chose to stay in a cheap B&B or a nice hotel if I wanted to. Likewise it could be fine food or junk food for dinner, pocketing the change if I chose too. Nowadays all accommodation is pre-booked and meals have to be paid by ourselves,and reclaimed via online expenses system on production of VAT receipts.

Ryanair01

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:57 am

I know the hotel quite well and there aren't many dining options in the area. Certainly airport hotel restaurants are generally expensive at LHR, but the benefit is you get a longer rest. My gut feeling is that the Renaissance has a lot of airline crew stay and has for many many many years, so there is probably more to this than meets the eye.

TC957

Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:37 am

It's just as well the hotel doesn't have Aeroflot crew staying there....
The InterCity at FRA has the right idea, providing plastic wraps and bags and facilities to make up sandwiches etc to take out for later in their breakfast room.

dtw2hyd

Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:54 am

migair54 wrote:
the mistake is doing it yourself, when you have complimentary room service english breakfast, now then the crew should be calling room service every five minutes asking for items in the breakfast, so the hotel can't complain and you still have the food in the room to do whatever you want.

I have taken food myself and I don't work for AI, sometimes because of the time difference you don't feel like having breakfast at the local breakfast time, but later you can't get, so I just got some food and save for later, and in many places the hotel staff even pack food for many people to take away, so I don't understand the hotel behaviour.

If crew are in a rush in the morning and AI already paid for room service breakfast, they are actually doing hotel a favor by packing their own. Imagine 50 crew members ordering room service in the morning with different menu selection and what are the chances of getting all orders right.

I think there is something else going on. It would be interesting to know who was the catering T4 AI lounge, may be AI initiated contract termination talks. Some one was milking that contract for decades with mediocre food service, not happy now that easy revenue stream would disappear.

anshabhi

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:24 pm

VSMUT wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

Sorry, but 600-800 USD per month is absolutely nothing by european standards (and really, neither is 2000 USD). In some places (airports, hotels and the areas where crew-hotels are typically located) I would struggle to find just a single meal per day within that allowance. I know for a fact that a lot of European airlines have allowances that are 4-8 times as much. One LCC even has per diems that could potentially run up to 250 USD per day!

$600-800 excludes hotel and food charges. They seperately come for free. They get $600-800 is for less than 10 overseas days every month.

There are about 250 McDonalds in India. They are customized "Indian McDonalds" with prices starting from about $0.4 and a large variety of veg items. McD is adding at least 50 restaurants every year.

Revelation

Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:25 pm

anshabhi wrote:
audian wrote:

Only unionized aunty FA's morale will be at stake. New and young FA's are actually devoted towards towards AI

Their devotion is not being rewarded given that we read "they are paid 60% less than the regular crew"...

Eventually the newness wears off, and the realization that they're getting paid 40 cents on the dollar sinks in.

Then their morale will be far lower than that of the "auntys", and they will wish they had a strong union working in their favor!
Last edited by Revelation on Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

anshabhi

Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:41 pm

Revelation wrote:
Their devotion is not being rewarded given that we read "they are paid 60% less than the regular crew"...

Eventually the newness wears off, and the realization that they're getting paid 40 cents on the dollar sinks in.

Then their morale will be far lower than that of the "auntys", and they will wish they had a strong union working in their favor!

Don't forget that it's another Union member who is claiming that they earn 60% less than normal crew. First, there won't be many less paid cabin crew since they can easily get a better paying job in India's booming Aviation sector.
2nd, only senior crew is deployed on long haul routes.

sciing

Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:42 pm

seahawk wrote:
It sounds like the crew eats at the buffet and then takes away another large amount of food to be eaten later. I am not aware of any hotel that likes this behaviour.

It is allowed in the hotel I will stay in my skiing holidays. It is called lunch packet and they even provide material to take away:-) And they are charging much less than 100€/night and person for half pension.
There are hotels who understand what is service and there seems to be hotels who see their guests as enemies, forgetting how much they paid for the last night, but claiming about peanuts. Likely the hotel through half of the buffet usually uneaten away.

jfklganyc

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:17 pm

This is ridiculous letter from a ridiculous complaint.

Perhaps crew wasnt being discreet, but...

As a well paid pilot, I regularly go down to BK with my backpack and take apples, boxes of cereal and or rolls/bagels for later.

As a tourist, I do the same thing while visiting (especially in Europe where conversion rate over last decade made everything ridiculously expensive).

And a lot of people do this.

Perhaps the AI crew was doing this in excess. Perhaps they werent discreet. Especially with crew, the hotel usually gives lots of leeway. These are working people on the job.

Or perhaps this is some good old fashioned racism. I honestly dont know.

But I am shocked to read this whole thread

enilria

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:31 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

If the room service breakfast is included for free what is the issue with taking food back to the room from the buffet when they can just order a poor hotel employee to do the same thing?

md94

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:34 pm

I do admit the breakfast at the Renaissance is pretty darn good! Yum!
72?, 732/3/7/8/9, 763/4, 772/3, 744, 787, MD88/90, F100, 319/20/21, E145/135/175/195, CRJ200/700, B206, 152/72/8

BawliBooch

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:39 pm

anshabhi wrote:

I don't think the unionized FA auntie's are the ones doing it or the ones who are getting affected by this. Its the "new & young" FA's under fire here.

The aunties get cushier salaries & allowances and wont be caught dead doing such LS stuff (Low Society).

Many(not all) of the younger lot were recruited on contracts after the fall of KingFisher. I know some Indigo FA's who have chosen to join AI on contract as "they get to fly international". There is some resentment, perhaps justified, from the unionized crew who have been waiting in que for years to go international and now getting pipped by these new hires.

The conspiracy theorist in me says that this letter from the CEO was designed to show the newer hires in poor light, and was written after pressure from a Union Leader aunty. She is standing for BMC elections when she retires - on a Shiv Sena ticket. Mr.Lohani has a tough job - keeping these mischeivous Union Leaders at bay - especially those nasty Mumbai ones and ensuring younger crew on International flights.

All the best to him! :lol:
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

dtw2hyd

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:41 pm

enilria wrote:
If the room service breakfast is included for free what is the issue with taking food back to the room from the buffet when they can just order a poor hotel employee to do the same thing?

This could be a planted story by Indian media. They have an obligation to publish n number of bad reports about AI every month.

I am thinking VJ should stop hiring editors' high school dropout children and relatives as aviation reporters.

planeophilic

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:41 pm

seahawk wrote:

You travel halfway around the world, dealing with pax and kids all the way- and have a complete, fulfilling meal at a McDonald's, and then fly back all the way, with the same pax load, and not collapse.
I will wait.
IQ 6969- If I wasn't addicted to Frog Porn, I would be perfect.

N353SK

Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:34 pm

tonystan wrote:
Appalling behaviour from the hotel if you ask me.

The Renaissance at LHR is actually owned by the Arora group who run many of the big name hotels around the airport including he Sofitel T5, Hyatt Bath rd and quite a few others. I'd be very reluctant to enter into any such contract with the hotel and company if this is how it deals with such matters, in a underhanded and quite frankly dangerous manner. It is a security concern that airline crew hotels be named publicly (I know it's not difficult to find out but still) and incredibly unprofessional.

It appears to me that the source of this story was a leaked Air India memo. Ive worked at two different airlines where we've had issues of crewmembers taking far too much food away from breakfast buffets, and at both companies the hotel spoke directly with the company who then issued a memo to crewmembers.

kgaiflyer

Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:41 pm

B777LRF wrote:
seahawk wrote:

I really don't have a dog in this fight, and I can see both sides of the argument. And I have done similar (for instance, from the hotels down the street from San Diego Airport) but usually not more than a breakfast pastry and a plastic cup with a tea bag.

But there is a vast difference between the crew of a 320 raiding a buffet and the crew of a 77W raiding a buffet.

That may be one of the thoughts here.

ckfred

Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:10 pm

This was back in the 1990s. My father was the head of a trade association based in suburban Chicago, which put on 2 conventions each year. He got to know the management of what used to be the Oak Brook Hyatt (it's now a DoubleTree). The hotel had contracts with several foreign airlines for crew layovers, since the hotel is walking distance to Oakbrook Shopping Center.

The problem arose that the flight crews from an Asian carrier weren't tipping the appropriate staff (waiters, maids, and bellmen). The general manager figured out that tipping wasn't customary in the homeland, but airlines are supposed to inform flight crews as tipping customs in different countries. He took up the issue with his contact at the carrier, but staff members were still seeing flight crews that either didn't tip or tipped less than 5%.

The general manager eventually decided that he wouldn't renew the contract.

luftaom

Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:25 pm

ZeeZoo wrote:

At the Renaissance at LHR? I doubt that you get very much for £10.
airliners.net's passenger - simultaneously connecting and flying direct.

airzona11

Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:26 pm

Ih8b6 wrote:

Or they are smart with their money. Said FAs work grinding schedules away from home without lavish expense accounts or budget. But go ahead and indulge your taste buds for $18 on the same breakfast at the Hilton across the street.

SMUtexan

Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:55 pm

Maybe this type of behavior was having a negative effect on other guests and flight crews staying there. If the buffet was constantly picked over/abused and the hotel is incapable of replenishing it in a timely manner, that leaves other paying hotel guests out of luck. I think it's ok to discreetly take some items for later but to eat a meal at the buffet and then return with a takeaway box for loads more is a bit disrespectful to other guests.

seahawk

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:07 pm

planeophilic wrote:
seahawk wrote:

You travel halfway around the world, dealing with pax and kids all the way- and have a complete, fulfilling meal at a McDonald's, and then fly back all the way, with the same pax load, and not collapse.
I will wait.

Well, I would put it that way, if they put more in the boxes than what you can easily replace at a McDonalds, it most likely will be seen as excessive. Even at McDonalds you can get a muffin, a apple & grape fruit bag, an orange juice and a coffee without risking your health.