Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Topic Author
Posts: 13278
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:29 am

He's like a Kardashian for the Hitler Youth: getting attention for absolutely no reason.

Who actually enjoys listening to this creepy little runt?
I know it's anecdotal: but even my staunchest Rightwing acquaintances think he's a freak.

Image

People keep comparing him to Ann, but heck, even Stacey Dash did a better job of being a provocateur than this.

Anyone?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
Mir
Posts: 19491
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:55 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:39 am

Because people keep paying attention to him. If they stop doing that, he'll cease to be relevant.

LAX772LR wrote:
I know it's anecdotal: but even my staunchest Rightwing acquaintances think he's a freak.


Yet he was going to be the keynote speaker at CPAC until he finally crossed the line by suggesting that "inter-generational relationships" with underage kids would be fine. Because everything else up to that point was okay, I guess? :sarcastic:
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Topic Author
Posts: 13278
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:47 am

Mir wrote:
Because everything else up to that point was okay, I guess?

The majority of GOPers showed us that they don't have a problem with electing racism, misogyny, xenophobia, etc to the highest seat of power.

So is anyone truly surprised that they'd invite it to speak?

And even then, I doubt they'd care if he were talking about underaged girls.
They were willing to look the other way for the fact that he's 1) gay, 2) constantly mentions his preference for non-White penis, but I guess excusing *gay* pedos was finally strike three?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
User avatar
alberchico
Posts: 3233
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:52 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:51 am

This needs to be put into perspective. The guy was sexually abused as a young teen by a priest. Sexual abuse victims often perform bizarre mental gymnastics to cope with the experience. That is why he jokes about how he was the one who came on to the priest and it was a mutual affair. It also puts his weird opinions of age of consent into focus.

If he convinces himself that the experience really was consensual, then the horrible memory of having a penis shoved into your mouth at the age of 14 is not as traumatic.
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !
 
BMI727
Posts: 11300
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:29 pm

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:33 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

I have no idea. There's plenty of space to push back against political correctness and oversensitivity but Yiannopolis, like Trump, just corrupts it as an excuse to act like an ass.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?
 
User avatar
OA412
Moderator
Posts: 4783
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:41 am

I'm also at a loss. I've never heard him say anything particularly thoughtful or insightful. He's a truly awful person, and clearly has deep-seeded issues (be it abuse or self-hatred) that manifest themselves in his need to attack some of the most vulnerable in society. He's said and done some really awful things, but his attacks on trans people are particularly galling.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
planeophilic
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:02 am

Milo is a natural reaction against 'political correctness' and the 'offensiveness' overload that is the cancer of society today. Remember, he is only as extremist as the extremists of the other side.
IQ 6969- If I wasn't addicted to Frog Porn, I would be perfect.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 13266
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis,6 a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:06 am

alberchico wrote:
This needs to be put into perspective. The guy was sexually abused as a young teen by a priest. Sexual abuse victims often perform bizarre mental gymnastics to cope with the experience.


While any normal person will agree to your analysis, we are talking about the American right wing. You know, those people that post all those "do you agree pedophiles should be put to death? Share if you do!" Posts on facebook, which is wrong on so many levels.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
Flighty
Posts: 9963
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:07 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:14 am

I guess it's a long tradition of attention seekers. Kanye West. Tila Tequila. Pauly Shore. Paris. Perez.

I haven't heard anything really outrageous either. It is just that he refuses to follow directions and apologize. This short circuits people's brains. He realized he has a talent there. Whatever.
 
Sydscott
Posts: 3513
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:50 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:18 am

LAX772LR wrote:
He's like a Kardashian for the Hitler Youth: getting attention for absolutely no reason.

Who actually enjoys listening to this creepy little runt?
I know it's anecdotal: but even my staunchest Rightwing acquaintances think he's a freak.

Image

People keep comparing him to Ann, but heck, even Stacey Dash did a better job of being a provocateur than this.

Anyone?


Both Trump and people like Milo thrill in the attention that what they say brings. It's not what they say, it's the amount of attention that it generates that is the key to their success.

The real question is why the "mainstream" media bothers covering him. The natural way to neuter people like this is for media outlets to make the democratic decision to completely ignore what he says and not report it. Deprive a celebrity of the oxygen of publicity and eventually they'll disappear all together.

It's the same with Trump and Twitter. Trump has 25.4 million people as followers on Twitter, a substantial portion of which are not in the US and not US voters. The vast majority of the populace of the US find out what Trump says on Twitter via media outlets reporting on it. Given Trumps apparent disdain for the "fake" "mainstream" media if I was them I'd simply take the editorial decision not to report on anything that he says which isn't directly said to one of your own reporters. Deny him the oxygen of media coverage, force him and all future Presidents for that matter, to engage in real and meaningful discussions with all forms of media if they want to get coverage. That's how you turn this around. You certainly don't do it by giving them more attention.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 22543
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:50 am

alberchico wrote:
This needs to be put into perspective. The guy was sexually abused as a young teen by a priest. Sexual abuse victims often perform bizarre mental gymnastics to cope with the experience. That is why he jokes about how he was the one who came on to the priest and it was a mutual affair. It also puts his weird opinions of age of consent into focus.

If he convinces himself that the experience really was consensual, then the horrible memory of having a penis shoved into your mouth at the age of 14 is not as traumatic.


So much about those in power abusing children is wrong. Priests, politicians, teachers, coaches, whatever. To use that abuse as an excuse to further that abuse is disgusting. He is gay. That is one thing. He is a man. That is a completely and unrelated separate thing. I think it says a lot about the right when they can hate gays so much unless they say the exact political words the right demands. There are so many things wrong with all of this, I can not even. I can say that it is very strange that he is so supportive of a political party who wants to take away his basic rights. That is my biggest question. Maybe he is just in it for the money. Before anything else, though, he better get a good and honest therapist.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 13163
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:00 am

planeophilic wrote:
Milo is a natural reaction against 'political correctness' and the 'offensiveness' overload that is the cancer of society today. Remember, he is only as extremist as the extremists of the other side.


Natural is not the world I would use, he's doing it on purpose, not because it's natural for him. Trump appears more natural.

Also, I doubt it works. The core GOP voter is not likely to approve of him for various reasons. So he manages to rile up the left, but not strengthen his camp, on the contrary, he brings confusion to people who like things black and white.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 4319
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:20 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Anyone?

Because he's the closest thing the Alt-Right has for a leader. He's somewhat charismatic, he embodies a lot of their values and he makes his views know...loudly.

alberchico wrote:
This needs to be put into perspective. The guy was sexually abused as a young teen by a priest. Sexual abuse victims often perform bizarre mental gymnastics to cope with the experience.

True. Such experiences have an unbelievably large psychological effect on the victims which lasts long after the occurrence. It's incredibly sad.

planeophilic wrote:
Milo is a natural reaction against 'political correctness' and the 'offensiveness' overload that is the cancer of society today.

Silly statement. You can be against 'political correctness' without being racist, misogynistic and a neo nazi.

planeophilic wrote:
Remember, he is only as extremist as the extremists of the other side.

:roll: So who is the left wing equivalent of him?
First to fly the 787-9
 
User avatar
moo
Posts: 4968
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 2:27 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:37 am

planeophilic wrote:
Milo is a natural reaction against 'political correctness' and the 'offensiveness' overload that is the cancer of society today. Remember, he is only as extremist as the extremists of the other side.


Uh no, there arent any natural laws of physics balancing things out here, one side of the discussion has no limiting effect on the other side - he is extreme even for the concept of free speech, and hes now paying the price.
 
vrbarreto
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:22 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:16 pm

Wonder what would happen if you put him, Katie Hopkins, Ann Coulter, Piers Morgan and the Grim Reaper in a room?

How soon before the grim reaper topped itself?
 
UltimoTiger777
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:19 pm

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:44 pm

He's a massive whiner.

In fact, a lot of the so called "Alt-Right" are as bad as the people they criticise in this regard. Always the first to tell others not be offended but then always the first to get offended when challenged in anyway.

Good riddance.
 
Pyrex
Posts: 4789
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:24 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:07 pm

zkojq wrote:
So who is the left wing equivalent of him?


Jon Stewart, John Oliver, Stephen Colbert, Bil Maher, etc. Heck, the entire late night TV line-up. Amazing that people who get their news from comedians feel so outraged when someone on the right does the same. Perhaps the same reason why they feel so outraged by Fox News all the time (or as they see it, "the one that got away").
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!
 
planeophilic
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:19 pm

zkojq wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Anyone?

Because he's the closest thing the Alt-Right has for a leader. He's somewhat charismatic, he embodies a lot of their values and he makes his views know...loudly.

alberchico wrote:
This needs to be put into perspective. The guy was sexually abused as a young teen by a priest. Sexual abuse victims often perform bizarre mental gymnastics to cope with the experience.

True. Such experiences have an unbelievably large psychological effect on the victims which lasts long after the occurrence. It's incredibly sad.

planeophilic wrote:
Milo is a natural reaction against 'political correctness' and the 'offensiveness' overload that is the cancer of society today.

Silly statement. You can be against 'political correctness' without being racist, misogynistic and a neo nazi.

planeophilic wrote:
Remember, he is only as extremist as the extremists of the other side.

:roll: So who is the left wing equivalent of him?


*cough* Bill Mahler *cough*

All Trump voters are misogynistic white men with small p*****s.
Now...Who said that, I wonder?
IQ 6969- If I wasn't addicted to Frog Porn, I would be perfect.
 
planeophilic
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:20 pm

Pyrex wrote:
zkojq wrote:
So who is the left wing equivalent of him?


Jon Stewart, John Oliver, Stephen Colbert, Bil Maher, etc. Heck, the entire late night TV line-up. Amazing that people who get their news from comedians feel so outraged when someone on the right does the same. Perhaps the same reason why they feel so outraged by Fox News all the time (or as they see it, "the one that got away").


All these jokers looked SO hilarious on election night. GOD it was fun.
Also, The Young Turks. Crying, pulling hair, and flashing middle fingers all over the place.
IQ 6969- If I wasn't addicted to Frog Porn, I would be perfect.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19123
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:43 pm

Pyrex wrote:
Jon Stewart, John Oliver, Stephen Colbert, Bil Maher, etc. Heck, the entire late night TV line-up.


There's a huge difference between political satire and rabid, right-wing ranting.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
KLDC10
Posts: 1409
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:00 pm

scbriml wrote:
Pyrex wrote:
Jon Stewart, John Oliver, Stephen Colbert, Bil Maher, etc. Heck, the entire late night TV line-up.


There's a huge difference between political satire and rabid, right-wing ranting.


Late Night shows have gone way past the point of political satire. Nowadays they're just a constant stream of anti-Trump tirades. They don't even pretend to be balanced - if you want to know what condescending arrogance looks like, tune into 'Last Week Tonight' with John Oliver and watch him criticize over the course of a season virtually everything about America. This attitude comes in spite of the fact that America has made him the TV success that he is today. The correct response to such good fortune is "Thanks America", not "This country is so terrible" - I mean really, how ungrateful? Although it's the same with Trevor Noah and Samantha Bee, both of whom were born in other countries (South Africa and Canada respectively), have made it in America and respond by verbally attacking the deeply-held beliefs of a great many Americans on a nightly basis.

That's not to say that the home-grown "comedians" are any better, but there's something really sickening about people who owe their entire success to America being such sanctimonious critics of anything insufficiently liberal.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300
 
User avatar
pvjin
Posts: 3586
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:15 pm

scbriml wrote:
There's a huge difference between political satire and rabid, right-wing ranting.


What about rabid left-wing ranting? Oh I get it, you call it political satire.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr
 
User avatar
OA412
Moderator
Posts: 4783
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:22 pm

scbriml wrote:
There's a huge difference between political satire and rabid, right-wing ranting.
:checkmark: But then again, I suspect you do crazy things, like looking at the world in shades of gray rather than in black and white. :lol:

planeophilic wrote:
Milo is a natural reaction against 'political correctness' and the 'offensiveness' overload that is the cancer of society today. Remember, he is only as extremist as the extremists of the other side.

Right. Sure. I'd be willing to believe the push back against "political correctness" and "offensiveness" were it not coming from the same people who become outraged over the color of a Starbucks cup, a Budweiser ad, being told "Happy Holidays," or Colin Kaepernick taking a knee. To the anti-PC brigade being offended because of actual racial discrimination = delicate snowflake, but being outraged and boycotting Starbucks over the color of a damn cup = perfectly rational behavior.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
planeophilic
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:31 pm

OA412 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
There's a huge difference between political satire and rabid, right-wing ranting.
:checkmark: But then again, I suspect you do crazy things, like looking at the world in shades of gray rather than in black and white. :lol:

planeophilic wrote:
Milo is a natural reaction against 'political correctness' and the 'offensiveness' overload that is the cancer of society today. Remember, he is only as extremist as the extremists of the other side.

Right. Sure. I'd be willing to believe the push back against "political correctness" and "offensiveness" were it not coming from the same people who become outraged over the color of a Starbucks cup, a Budweiser ad, being told "Happy Holidays," or Colin Kaepernick taking a knee. To the anti-PC brigade being offended because of actual racial discrimination = delicate snowflake, but being outraged and boycotting Starbucks over the color of a damn cup = perfectly rational behavior.


Generalizing....Generalizing all over the place...
IQ 6969- If I wasn't addicted to Frog Porn, I would be perfect.
 
User avatar
OA412
Moderator
Posts: 4783
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:36 pm

planeophilic wrote:
Generalizing....Generalizing all over the place...
Agreed, you've done nothing but generalize in this thread. Now how about actually responding to my substantive points?
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
User avatar
Channex757
Posts: 2400
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:07 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:05 pm

Milo is a male Ann Coulter.

That's his schtick. He is a consummate self-publicist, playing to the peanut gallery that laps up his output.

Boeing should employ him. If they did, Airbus would be a distant memory as he's one of the best salesmen I've ever seen. Just like Coulter I am also convinced that he doesn't believe a tenth of what he spouts. he just sprays it out as that's what sells.
 
Mir
Posts: 19491
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:55 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:25 pm

Pyrex wrote:
zkojq wrote:
So who is the left wing equivalent of him?


Jon Stewart, John Oliver, Stephen Colbert, Bil Maher, etc. Heck, the entire late night TV line-up. Amazing that people who get their news from comedians feel so outraged when someone on the right does the same.


Bullshit. Those people aren't cruel toward members of the general public the way Yiannopoulous is. There is absolutely no comparison that can be drawn there.

The sad thing is that I was ready to agree with the point about him having left-wing equivalents. They're out there, but they're ignored by most of the left, just as he could have been ignored by most of the right (much like David Duke is) and we'd just keep going without a problem. But when his views start getting elevated closer to a position of power, then there's going to be a lot of pushback, because it's dangerous to have someone like that in that position. And when you try and cast him from the same mold as Colbert or Oliver or Maher or Stewart, you lose all your credibility.

KLDC10 wrote:
They don't even pretend to be balanced - if you want to know what condescending arrogance looks like, tune into 'Last Week Tonight' with John Oliver and watch him criticize over the course of a season virtually everything about America. This attitude comes in spite of the fact that America has made him the TV success that he is today. The correct response to such good fortune is "Thanks America", not "This country is so terrible" - I mean really, how ungrateful?


Really? Everything about America? He criticized the vibrant multiculturalism that this country possesses? He criticized the fact that our record of integrating immigrants is one of the best, if not the best, in the world? He criticized the country's work ethic? He criticized Americans' generosity? He criticized the country's innovative spirit? He criticized the fact that our barbecue will beat the crap out of any other country's barbecue and it's not even going to be close?

You should look into him more. He loves this country. He also recognizes that for all the great things about it, it's got some problems. Is it wrong to point out how civil forfeiture is legalized robbery? Is it wrong to point out how the prospect of losing net neutrality would have a deleterious effect on startups and innovation? Is it wrong to point out that our prison policies are creating more problems than they solve? How insecure do you have to be as an American to reject out of hand any statement of 'this isn't working as well as it should'? In fact, if there were one country in the world that I'd count on the most to want to do something about its problems rather than just shrug and say they're intractable and there's nothing that can be done, it would be the US, because that's the sort of get-things-done spirit that this country has (which, incidentally, he has not criticized, because why would you?). Hell, the first line in the Constitution is "in order to form a more perfect union", and you can't make something more perfect by sticking your head in the sand and ignoring its problems because it makes you feel uncomfortable.
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day
 
planeophilic
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:29 pm

OA412 wrote:
planeophilic wrote:
Generalizing....Generalizing all over the place...
Agreed, you've done nothing but generalize in this thread. Now how about actually responding to my substantive points?


That's because you haven't even read all my posts in this thread.
I started out by carefully using the term 'extremists' for both Milo and his equivalent opposition from the other side. Your points are simply not 'substantive' (really??) and are generalizing, because you have conflated the entire anti-PC opposition with people who boycott Starbucks.
One big generalization, I would say.
IQ 6969- If I wasn't addicted to Frog Porn, I would be perfect.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 13489
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:32 pm

Just another attempt to paint the GOP with the same brush so in two years when they try to get the house and senate back they can tell you every person that voted for Trump is like this guy. You would think the DNC would have learned by the shocking defeat they took last November but it seems not.
I am the Googlizer!!!
 
User avatar
Dano1977
Posts: 719
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:49 pm

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:12 pm

https://order-order.com/2017/02/22/12-t ... elsewhere/

1.Despite being tarred in the failing media as a white supremacist he has a penchant for picking up gay black men. For years he would leave late-night parties flamboyantly telling friends that he was “off to KFC” in the hope of getting lucky.

2.Milo is completely disorganised. Punctuality problems have been the cause of him losing many jobs. By “punctuality” we mean actually turning up daily. Only two years ago he was working for Sky TV in an inexplicable technology guru role. Briefly.

3.Milo’s political philosophy is fluid. He has at various times been an ultra-conservative Catholic, libertarian and now a Trumpian alt-right fellow traveller. His lifestyle has always been enjoyably libertine.

4.As a nerdy child Milo was a gamer into Warhammer and bragged his paintwork on the game figurines was “impeccable”.

5.Milo has terrible eyesight and is so worried about going bald he uses an expensive hair re-growth serum.

6.Milo owns a pink swastika fashion piece. Lately he has been claiming Jewish ancestry.

7.His parents gave him the name Milo Hanrahan, he also went by the name Wagner before settling on Yiannopoulos. God knows why.

8.Milo’s father Nicolas Hanrahan is a geezer, you know what I mean.

9.Milo tells friends he likes to try to have sex with a woman “once a year”.

10.Milo kept a spreadsheet of his friends where he ranked them for looks, intelligence and how much he likes them.

11.Milo is surprisingly shy and has difficulty looking people in the eye.

12. Milo self-publishes he will make far more than $250,000 from book sales this year. He will also spend it all.
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Topic Author
Posts: 13278
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:52 pm

Dano1977 wrote:
1.Despite being tarred in the failing media as a white supremacist he has a penchant for picking up gay black men. For years he would leave late-night parties flamboyantly telling friends that he was “off to KFC” in the hope of getting lucky.

And you're offering that as "proof" against white supremacy?

Curious: are you naive enough to believe that because someone routinely takes an opportunistic f#ck, that it somehow precludes supremacist views and actions?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19473
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:56 pm

alberchico wrote:
This needs to be put into perspective. The guy was sexually abused as a young teen by a priest. Sexual abuse victims often perform bizarre mental gymnastics to cope with the experience. That is why he jokes about how he was the one who came on to the priest and it was a mutual affair. It also puts his weird opinions of age of consent into focus.

If he convinces himself that the experience really was consensual, then the horrible memory of having a penis shoved into your mouth at the age of 14 is not as traumatic.


I don't like what I know about the man in any way, or what he says, but at least in this regard I cannot say that he is wrong. When I first became sexually active at about 13, I was the seducer, not the seduced. I deliberately sought out sexual contact with men who were older than I was, if only by a very few years. I have no "horrible" memories of it at all - LOL - why would I, since it was what I wanted?

He now says that his mistake was to use the word "boy" when describing himself then. I think his mistake was to mention it at all because it is the least understood, and least tolerated, aspect of queer sexual adolescence.

mariner
aeternum nauta
 
LMP737
Posts: 6042
Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 4:06 pm

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:47 pm

He's a thing because the knot heads at Berkeley made him a thing. If they had just sat back and let the guy spew his vitriol most a lot of us would have no idea who he is. I know I didn't until that whole thing at Berkeley went down.

On a side note it says a lot about CPAC inviting him to their little party in the first place.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.
 
StarAC17
Posts: 3841
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:54 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:08 am

BMI727 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

I have no idea. There's plenty of space to push back against political correctness and oversensitivity but Yiannopolis, like Trump, just corrupts it as an excuse to act like an ass.


Agree 100%.

Being Politically Incorrect means pointing out a truth (which not everyone agrees with to begin with) which is uncomfortable. Such as making fun of racial quirks, different cultures or religion. There are more examples but these are a few.

What Milo does, Trump also does and other (mostly conservatives do), being from Toronto the late Rob Ford and his brother Doug are also guilty of this.

They in essence will insult an individual personally and lets use Trump's examples. Insulting Megyn Kelly when she called out his previous insults towards contestants on The Apprentice and his attacks on Rosie O'Donnell which he uses a defense of political incorrectness when someone calls them out on their blatant personal attacks. Milo attacking Lena Dunham personally also is not going to get him a lot of points. How about attacking the idea of entitled millennial white girls and not Lena Dunham who while many may hate made millions of making a show about it which is actually Politically Incorrect.

A good comedian does the latter. Jim Jeffries does an amazing bit about mocking the American gun culture that is probably politically incorrect to gun nuts. But does he go and attack Wayne Lapierre directly? Nope he mocks the idea of the US gun culture and how irrational it is. Also some gun enthusiasts probably thought his bit was hilarious.

Bill Maher said this with Milo last week. Attack the idea and not the individual.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!
 
StarAC17
Posts: 3841
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:54 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:46 am

Pyrex wrote:
zkojq wrote:
So who is the left wing equivalent of him?


Jon Stewart, John Oliver, Stephen Colbert, Bil Maher, etc. Heck, the entire late night TV line-up. Amazing that people who get their news from comedians feel so outraged when someone on the right does the same. Perhaps the same reason why they feel so outraged by Fox News all the time (or as they see it, "the one that got away").


I could make the same argument about talk radio. Where are the liberals?

The late night comedian scene is liberal because good comedians are liberal!! If there was a good conservative comedian I would at least give them a chance but conservatives suck at comedy. Dennis Miller is the best you have got and he does amuse me but John Oliver is 100 times better.

One of the reasons for this is that many comedians grow up in cities in diverse cultural environments and even tough climates (which is why Canada has a lot of comedians) and the best American comedians come from the northeast or Chicago and a lot of their lives are mocked as a coping mechanism. Conservatives tend to be raised in more monotonous environments and in an environment where mockery (especially self deprecation) is frowned upon.

Chris Rock made a good bit to explain comedy.

The poor can mock the rich (rich mocking poor is mean)
The fat can insult the skinny (skinny insulting fat is mean)
The cold climate can insult the warm climate (the opposite is mean)

The late night guys also make fun of liberals too. You look at Leno and his success is a lot of good timing, OJ, followed by Clinton, and GWB all easy pickings for comedians that people relate to. Had Bernie won would be having Larry David doing cold opens on SNL and not Alec Baldwin and they would have taken their shots at Hillary also when appropriate (look at Kate Mckinnon on the SNL debates, it is funny as hell her doing Hillary). The reason Obama wasn't made fun of was that he did little in 8 years that warranted it, no real gaffes or scandals by him and he was boring. However these same comedians loved to mock Biden with his gaffes and Trump just fuels the ammo every week. If you want comedians to stop mocking Trump how about he actually does some freaking legislative work which is boring as hell.

And above why conservatives suck at the comedy business is that you suck at self-deprecating humour which is why Ricky Gervais and John Oliver bother you. Gervais mocks celebrity culture and John Oliver mocks the US political culture. Liberal Americans are better at this but Brits, Aussies and Canadians love making fun of ourselves and we have the best comedians out there.

Now to turn the tables. Liberal talk radio plain sucks and I'm a Liberal!! Liberal talk shows make an effort to talk about the issues in a rational way which when your driving makes you think so much you lose focus on driving. I just laugh at the conservatives and their outrage and let it roll off my skin and occasionally they will discuss something that I might actually agree with like infrastructure spending but with maturity the outrage amuses me and I don't get angry.
Rush will occasionally talk about cigars and Thom Hartman is all about the issues.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!
 
DLFREEBIRD
Posts: 1485
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:18 am

Pyrex wrote:
zkojq wrote:
So who is the left wing equivalent of him?


Jon Stewart, John Oliver, Stephen Colbert, Bil Maher, etc. Heck, the entire late night TV line-up. Amazing that people who get their news from comedians feel so outraged when someone on the right does the same. Perhaps the same reason why they feel so outraged by Fox News all the time (or as they see it, "the one that got away").


Milo Yiannopoulos not a comedian. he's a professional provocateur and so is Steve Bannon.
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 4319
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:39 am

Pyrex wrote:
zkojq wrote:
So who is the left wing equivalent of him?
Amazing that people who get their news from comedians feel so outraged when someone on the right does the same.

Except that Milo isn't remotely funny. Nor is Alex Jones nor Tori Lahren.

planeophilic wrote:

*cough* Bill Mahler *cough*

Is he? I for one think that Maher is a moron.

scbriml wrote:
There's a huge difference between political satire and rabid, right-wing ranting.

Indeed.

planeophilic wrote:
Also, The Young Turks.

If you actually watched any TYT, you'd see that he's far more angry at Hillary, incompetence & corruption from the Democrats etc than he is about the right. The whole premise of TYT's political views is that the left has a larger support base and is potentially more powerful than the right, however they're constantly hamstrung by corruption, poor leadership, self-interest, turning the other cheek etc.


OA412 wrote:
I'd be willing to believe the push back against "political correctness" and "offensiveness" were it not coming from the same people who become outraged over the color of a Starbucks cup, a Budweiser ad, being told "Happy Holidays," or Colin Kaepernick taking a knee. To the anti-PC brigade being offended because of actual racial discrimination = delicate snowflake, but being outraged and boycotting Starbucks over the color of a damn cup = perfectly rational behavior.

:checkmark: Agreed. I always find it amusing when the right tries to suggest that the left has a monopoly of invoking political correctness. Right wingers love to invoke political correctness too. A classic example was just above:

tune into 'Last Week Tonight' with John Oliver and watch him criticize over the course of a season virtually everything about America. This attitude comes in spite of the fact that America has made him the TV success that he is today. The correct response to such good fortune is "Thanks America", not "This country is so terrible" - I mean really, how ungrateful?

How very politically incorrect of Mr John Oliver!! How dare he criticise anything about the country within which he resides! He should be grateful and spend the length of his show telling everyone how great america is!


Mir wrote:
Bullshit. Those people aren't cruel toward members of the general public the way Yiannopoulous is. There is absolutely no comparison that can be drawn there.

:checkmark:

NIKV69 wrote:
Just another attempt to paint the GOP with the same brush so in two years when they try to get the house and senate back they can tell you every person that voted for Trump is like this guy. You would think the DNC would have learned by the shocking defeat they took last November but it seems not.

What exactly does Milo have to do with either the DNC or RNC? As far as I know, he is a member of neither.

StarAC17 wrote:
Chris Rock made a good bit to explain comedy.

The poor can mock the rich (rich mocking poor is mean)
The fat can insult the skinny (skinny insulting fat is mean)
The cold climate can insult the warm climate (the opposite is mean)

When it comes to mocking and insulting in comedy, it works when you're insulting the powerful, not the powerless. If you try and mock the weak and the powerless it really doesn't turn out so great.

Good post, by the way.
First to fly the 787-9
 
planeophilic
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:46 pm

zkojq wrote:
Pyrex wrote:
zkojq wrote:
So who is the left wing equivalent of him?
Amazing that people who get their news from comedians feel so outraged when someone on the right does the same.

Except that Milo isn't remotely funny. Nor is Alex Jones nor Tori Lahren.

planeophilic wrote:

*cough* Bill Mahler *cough*

Is he? I for one think that Maher is a moron.

scbriml wrote:
There's a huge difference between political satire and rabid, right-wing ranting.

Indeed.

planeophilic wrote:
Also, The Young Turks.

If you actually watched any TYT, you'd see that he's far more angry at Hillary, incompetence & corruption from the Democrats etc than he is about the right. The whole premise of TYT's political views is that the left has a larger support base and is potentially more powerful than the right, however they're constantly hamstrung by corruption, poor leadership, self-interest, turning the other cheek etc.


OA412 wrote:
I'd be willing to believe the push back against "political correctness" and "offensiveness" were it not coming from the same people who become outraged over the color of a Starbucks cup, a Budweiser ad, being told "Happy Holidays," or Colin Kaepernick taking a knee. To the anti-PC brigade being offended because of actual racial discrimination = delicate snowflake, but being outraged and boycotting Starbucks over the color of a damn cup = perfectly rational behavior.

:checkmark: Agreed. I always find it amusing when the right tries to suggest that the left has a monopoly of invoking political correctness. Right wingers love to invoke political correctness too. A classic example was just above:

tune into 'Last Week Tonight' with John Oliver and watch him criticize over the course of a season virtually everything about America. This attitude comes in spite of the fact that America has made him the TV success that he is today. The correct response to such good fortune is "Thanks America", not "This country is so terrible" - I mean really, how ungrateful?

How very politically incorrect of Mr John Oliver!! How dare he criticise anything about the country within which he resides! He should be grateful and spend the length of his show telling everyone how great america is!


Mir wrote:
Bullshit. Those people aren't cruel toward members of the general public the way Yiannopoulous is. There is absolutely no comparison that can be drawn there.

:checkmark:

NIKV69 wrote:
Just another attempt to paint the GOP with the same brush so in two years when they try to get the house and senate back they can tell you every person that voted for Trump is like this guy. You would think the DNC would have learned by the shocking defeat they took last November but it seems not.

What exactly does Milo have to do with either the DNC or RNC? As far as I know, he is a member of neither.

StarAC17 wrote:
Chris Rock made a good bit to explain comedy.

The poor can mock the rich (rich mocking poor is mean)
The fat can insult the skinny (skinny insulting fat is mean)
The cold climate can insult the warm climate (the opposite is mean)

When it comes to mocking and insulting in comedy, it works when you're insulting the powerful, not the powerless. If you try and mock the weak and the powerless it really doesn't turn out so great.

Good post, by the way.

You are making the fatal mistake "If it agrees with me, It is harmless satire, and if it does not, it is ABC-ist XYZ-ist drivel."
IQ 6969- If I wasn't addicted to Frog Porn, I would be perfect.
 
User avatar
Dano1977
Posts: 719
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:49 pm

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:05 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:
1.Despite being tarred in the failing media as a white supremacist he has a penchant for picking up gay black men. For years he would leave late-night parties flamboyantly telling friends that he was “off to KFC” in the hope of getting lucky.

And you're offering that as "proof" against white supremacy?

Curious: are you naive enough to believe that because someone routinely takes an opportunistic f#ck, that it somehow precludes supremacist views and actions?


I'm not offering it as anything.

Until it came up on Guido (UK Political/satire site) I did not know who or what a Milo Yiannopolis was.
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.
 
User avatar
Asturias
Posts: 1977
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:32 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:32 pm

Milo is smart, brave, funny and entertaining. That's why he has an audience.

The regressive left hates that. So. Much.
Tonight we fly
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 13163
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:01 pm

Image
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
Olddog
Posts: 1519
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:17 pm

Well, he seems to be a better Kardashian than Rob. He also dose nothing useful in his life and have a thing for black men :)
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12972
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:40 am

Milo is the mother of all contradictions, right wing, christian, gay, peodophile, he's certainly made some unique life choices for sure. The minorities minority.
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12972
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:57 am

mariner wrote:
alberchico wrote:
This needs to be put into perspective. The guy was sexually abused as a young teen by a priest. Sexual abuse victims often perform bizarre mental gymnastics to cope with the experience. That is why he jokes about how he was the one who came on to the priest and it was a mutual affair. It also puts his weird opinions of age of consent into focus.

If he convinces himself that the experience really was consensual, then the horrible memory of having a penis shoved into your mouth at the age of 14 is not as traumatic.


I don't like what I know about the man in any way, or what he says, but at least in this regard I cannot say that he is wrong. When I first became sexually active at about 13, I was the seducer, not the seduced. I deliberately sought out sexual contact with men who were older than I was, if only by a very few years. I have no "horrible" memories of it at all - LOL - why would I, since it was what I wanted?

He now says that his mistake was to use the word "boy" when describing himself then. I think his mistake was to mention it at all because it is the least understood, and least tolerated, aspect of queer sexual adolescence.

mariner


Flip the situation over mariner, what would you do if an underage person had a go at seducing you?
 
Flighty
Posts: 9963
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:07 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:53 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
Pyrex wrote:
zkojq wrote:
So who is the left wing equivalent of him?


Jon Stewart, John Oliver, Stephen Colbert, Bil Maher, etc. Heck, the entire late night TV line-up. Amazing that people who get their news from comedians feel so outraged when someone on the right does the same. Perhaps the same reason why they feel so outraged by Fox News all the time (or as they see it, "the one that got away").


I could make the same argument about talk radio. Where are the liberals?

The late night comedian scene is liberal because good comedians are liberal!! If there was a good conservative comedian I would at least give them a chance but conservatives suck at comedy. Dennis Miller is the best you have got and he does amuse me but John Oliver is 100 times better.

One of the reasons for this is that many comedians grow up in cities in diverse cultural environments and even tough climates (which is why Canada has a lot of comedians) and the best American comedians come from the northeast or Chicago and a lot of their lives are mocked as a coping mechanism. Conservatives tend to be raised in more monotonous environments and in an environment where mockery (especially self deprecation) is frowned upon.

Chris Rock made a good bit to explain comedy.

The poor can mock the rich (rich mocking poor is mean)
The fat can insult the skinny (skinny insulting fat is mean)
The cold climate can insult the warm climate (the opposite is mean)

The late night guys also make fun of liberals too. You look at Leno and his success is a lot of good timing, OJ, followed by Clinton, and GWB all easy pickings for comedians that people relate to. Had Bernie won would be having Larry David doing cold opens on SNL and not Alec Baldwin and they would have taken their shots at Hillary also when appropriate (look at Kate Mckinnon on the SNL debates, it is funny as hell her doing Hillary). The reason Obama wasn't made fun of was that he did little in 8 years that warranted it, no real gaffes or scandals by him and he was boring. However these same comedians loved to mock Biden with his gaffes and Trump just fuels the ammo every week. If you want comedians to stop mocking Trump how about he actually does some freaking legislative work which is boring as hell.

And above why conservatives suck at the comedy business is that you suck at self-deprecating humour which is why Ricky Gervais and John Oliver bother you. Gervais mocks celebrity culture and John Oliver mocks the US political culture. Liberal Americans are better at this but Brits, Aussies and Canadians love making fun of ourselves and we have the best comedians out there.

Now to turn the tables. Liberal talk radio plain sucks and I'm a Liberal!! Liberal talk shows make an effort to talk about the issues in a rational way which when your driving makes you think so much you lose focus on driving. I just laugh at the conservatives and their outrage and let it roll off my skin and occasionally they will discuss something that I might actually agree with like infrastructure spending but with maturity the outrage amuses me and I don't get angry.
Rush will occasionally talk about cigars and Thom Hartman is all about the issues.



Yeah it is interesting that the two "sides" in politics use different media.

Republicans use talk radio. Democrats use Facebook, the New York Times. I listen to NPR sometimes but it is becoming insufferable. Everything is about multi-racial ethnic cultural malaise and animosity, organic food, and how business should be eliminated in favor of a dominant nonprofit sector. And I guess Republican talk radio says the opposite, which would also be wrong. It is all just mindless belly scratching.
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19473
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Why is Milo Yiannopolis, a thing?

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:32 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Flip the situation over mariner, what would you do if an underage person had a go at seducing you?


Since it's never happened, I have no idea.

I suspect that my very openness abut who I am - defined queer - might be alarming to a young man exploring his sexuality. I wasn't looking to define myself as anything then, I was simply looking for others who felt as I did, but privately, something unspoken.

Obviously, I have no idea what it's like these days, in these more open societies, but the reaction to Mr. Yiannopoulos's statements suggests that not much has changed.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Airontario, bananaboy, FGITD, Kent350787, MaverickM11 and 46 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos