Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Topic Author
Posts: 26968
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Five people killed in terrorist attack near Parliament in London

Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:58 pm

Two men including a police officer have been shot outside the Houses of Parliament.

There was a loud crash outside parliament, then lots of shouting. I saw a policeman being assaulted, then a man carrying a knife or gun.


Image

Developing
https://twitter.com/whypersist/status/8 ... 0880290820
https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/statu ... 7975168000
Last edited by qf789 on Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
User avatar
Dano1977
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:49 pm

Re: British Parliament in lockdown after two people shot

Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:15 pm

It appears that:

Several people run over by 4x4 on bridge. Crashes into barriers. Driver gets out and stabs a policeman, and then as he runs to get into parliament is shot.
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.
 
User avatar
Dano1977
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:49 pm

Re: British Parliament in lockdown after two people shot

Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:21 pm

BBC now reporting...

12 people run over by a 4x4 vehicle
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.
 
User avatar
pvjin
Posts: 3586
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: British Parliament in lockdown after two people shot

Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:31 pm

I wonder what the motive is, could be either Islamic terrorism or some pro-EU anti-Brexit guy.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr
 
User avatar
Dano1977
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:49 pm

Re: British Parliament in lockdown after two people shot

Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:36 pm

pvjin wrote:
I wonder what the motive is, could be either Islamic terrorism or some pro-EU anti-Brexit guy.


So far it's being called a "Firearms Incident" on the BBC

But the MET Police are now calling it a "Terrorist Incident"
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 4124
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: British Parliament in lockdown after two people shot

Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:38 pm

pvjin wrote:
I wonder what the motive is, could be either Islamic terrorism or some pro-EU anti-Brexit guy.

Or someone planted by Putin to cause havoc, we don't know either way. I'll keep my eye on the news to watch out for facts.

Fred
Image
 
Aither
Posts: 1312
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:43 am

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:58 pm

Yes sure, a pro EU guy to protest against the Brexit...
Never trust the obvious
 
User avatar
winterlight
Posts: 1432
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:57 am

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:24 pm

Time for another round of mainstream media bingo! Eyes down for a full house.

ID card found at scene.
"Aloha Snackbar" heard being shouted
Suspect known to police and securuity services.
IS claim responsibility.
Question everything. Trust no-one.
 
VSMUT
Posts: 5498
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: British Parliament in lockdown after two people shot

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Meh, this has all the signs of a standard ISIS lone-(twin)wolf attack.

pvjin wrote:
or some pro-EU anti-Brexit guy.


Lol, as if. If it was related to Brexit then it would be a Brexiteer, especially considering that they also murdered that poor MP...
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 12418
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Terrible incident again. RIP to all that perished and hopefully the injured will get better.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14414
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:01 pm

3 French high school students from Brittanny were hit on the bridge and are in hospital.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
Dano1977
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:49 pm

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:09 pm

4 confirmed dead including the attacker

20 people injured
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.
 
P1aneMad
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:05 pm

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:28 pm

Resist the urge to blame it on someone wanting to impose his religion of Peace upon the infidels.
It could be an Episcopalian, a Jehovah's witness or a Buddhist responsible for it.
 
User avatar
Dahlgardo
Posts: 479
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:46 am

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:32 pm

A picture of the attacker.
Who would have guessed...

Image
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle
 
GDB
Posts: 14259
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:50 pm

Dahlgardo wrote:
A picture of the attacker.
Who would have guessed...

Image


It might well be, it also might also be a bystander who was a casualty. But he does fit the description of the attacker eye witnesses gave to the media.
We don't know yet, here is what we do at the time of posting;

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... now-so-far

The Police Officer who was stabbed and it seems later died, was given emergency aid by a government Minister at the Foreign Office who was nearby, Tobias Elwood MP is an ex Solider, who lost a brother in 2002 Bali bomb.

RIP to the victims, the killer is as likely to have had links with Mental Health Services as Islamists, at least that has been the case in the UK with these sort of improvised attacks, the most recent prior to today in December 2015 when a large blade was used in slashing attacks on the London Underground, though the attacker ranted about Syria, he was in fact a long term mental health case, he was tasered by the officers who arrived on scene.
 
Scorpio
Posts: 5050
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2001 3:48 am

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:29 pm

GDB wrote:
Dahlgardo wrote:
A picture of the attacker.
Who would have guessed...

Image


It might well be, it also might also be a bystander who was a casualty. But he does fit the description of the attacker eye witnesses gave to the media.
We don't know yet, here is what we do at the time of posting;

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... now-so-far

The Police Officer who was stabbed and it seems later died, was given emergency aid by a government Minister at the Foreign Office who was nearby, Tobias Elwood MP is an ex Solider, who lost a brother in 2002 Bali bomb.

RIP to the victims, the killer is as likely to have had links with Mental Health Services as Islamists, at least that has been the case in the UK with these sort of improvised attacks, the most recent prior to today in December 2015 when a large blade was used in slashing attacks on the London Underground, though the attacker ranted about Syria, he was in fact a long term mental health case, he was tasered by the officers who arrived on scene.

It's the terrorist alright. And apparently, he's not exactly unknown. He was a known radical hate preacher, of whom there are plenty of interviews and videos. His name is Abu Izzadeen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koc4w4Yjhss
 
P1aneMad
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:05 pm

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:46 pm

Scorpio wrote:
It's the terrorist alright. And apparently, he's not exactly unknown. He was a known radical hate preacher, of whom there are plenty of interviews and videos. His name is Abu Izzadeen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koc4w4Yjhss

Nooo, don't say that. He could just be lashing out after his girlfriend brake up with him.
Religion probably has nothing to do with it.
 
Scorpio
Posts: 5050
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2001 3:48 am

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:20 pm

Now it appears the reports of the attacker being Abu Izzadeen were false. Apparently Izzadeen is in prison, so it couldn't have been him...
 
User avatar
AirPacific747
Posts: 9848
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 am

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:54 pm

Yes, lets continue importing people from the ME to the continent and everything will be just fine and dandy. The more people that arrive from a different religious and cultural background, the easier they will be to integrate.
 
GDB
Posts: 14259
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:05 pm

winterlight wrote:
Time for another round of mainstream media bingo! Eyes down for a full house.

ID card found at scene.
"Aloha Snackbar" heard being shouted
Suspect known to police and securuity services.
IS claim responsibility.


Given how you were telling us how the Lizard People or whoever you think is running things, were going to fix the EU Referendum to Remain, surprised you haven't slithered back to whatever tin foil place better suits.
 
GDB
Posts: 14259
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:14 pm

Scorpio wrote:
Now it appears the reports of the attacker being Abu Izzadeen were false. Apparently Izzadeen is in prison, so it couldn't have been him...


I was going to post the same, then the doubts emerged. Channel 4 News seemed pretty certain at first, 45 mins later not so.
We don't know who he is, very likely a lone Islamist, who however might well (like others in similar attacks) have a background in crime and/or mental health problems.
Which is why the Met Police have been giving out limited info initially at least, when the wrong man was shot in 2005 they were putting out statements based on eye witnesses, some of which were mistaken and when what really happened emerged they took a lot of heat for it.

Now they are more careful, though that encourages the conspiracy nuts, see Winterlight above.
 
GDB
Posts: 14259
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:22 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
Yes, lets continue importing people from the ME to the continent and everything will be just fine and dandy. The more people that arrive from a different religious and cultural background, the easier they will be to integrate.


So YOU know who he is, or was?
If he had been who it was thought for a time, who happened to fit the profile from other attacks, you would have been describing the son of Christian immigrants from the Caribbean. Who have been a part of life in the UK since the late 1940's.
It still might be someone of a similar background, it might be someone like you described, or neither.
There are white Islamic fundamentalists - who also converted - in UK prisons for terrorist related criminal activity too.
But they were brought up in a Christian/Secular society.

Let's just wait, see how your polemic fits, or doesn't.
 
User avatar
alberchico
Posts: 3324
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:52 am

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:40 am

Still no word on the identity of the attacker ?

When something like this happens would the police have the right to detain the family and friends of terror suspects for questioning ?
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !
 
User avatar
SOBHI51
Posts: 3950
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:32 pm

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:38 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
Yes, lets continue importing people from the ME to the continent and everything will be just fine and dandy. The more people that arrive from a different religious and cultural background, the easier they will be to integrate.

If this is the true attacker, and it's a big if , then you should know that his real name is Trevor Brooks and he is from Jamaica.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 13494
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:01 am

SOBHI51 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
Yes, lets continue importing people from the ME to the continent and everything will be just fine and dandy. The more people that arrive from a different religious and cultural background, the easier they will be to integrate.

If this is the true attacker, and it's a big if , then you should know that his real name is Trevor Brooks and he is from Jamaica.


He's not the attacker, Trevor is locked up, he was born in Hackney not Jamaica. But he is Muslim and is likely celebrating in his cell.
 
User avatar
SOBHI51
Posts: 3950
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:32 pm

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:07 am

Kiwirob wrote:
SOBHI51 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
Yes, lets continue importing people from the ME to the continent and everything will be just fine and dandy. The more people that arrive from a different religious and cultural background, the easier they will be to integrate.

If this is the true attacker, and it's a big if , then you should know that his real name is Trevor Brooks and he is from Jamaica.


He's not the attacker, Trevor is locked up, he was born in Hackney not Jamaica. But he is Muslim and is likely celebrating in his cell.

My mistake, i read the report wrong, his family is from Jamaica.
Hope he will celebrate soon with the real killer in hell
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam
 
PhilBy
Posts: 840
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Five people killed in terrorist attack near Parliament in London

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:12 am

Of course the solution to this type of attack is obvious. The only way to protect the public from lunatics with SUV's is to give everyone SUV's! Time to buy shares in "Chelsea Tractors R Us"

It seems a little premature to start using the term 'terrorist attack' when 'independent nutjob' has not yet been ruled out. There was a time when a certain level of planning and coordination was required before an attack was classed as terrorist. This must be the least ept terrorist attack the UK has ever seen. Prince Philip and his cricket bat was more terrifying!

Condolences to the victims.
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 4124
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:19 am

SOBHI51 wrote:
Hope he will celebrate soon with the real killer in hell

This is part of the problem of religion, the sooner we stop believing in nonsense about the afterlife and people's souls continuing we'll still have crap like this happening. He isn't in hell, hell doesn't exist, his life just ended, there is nothing, he feels nothing he thinks nothing. It's the same as an earwig when it dies, its life just stops.

Religion is a construct in people's minds and if people do this and blame religion its nothing other than them being a Dick head and somehow telling people its because of an imaginary friend, then we tell people its because of the imaginary friend and after that.

If a child does something bad and then blames it on "Henry the wombat" we don't go and start giving grief to all the children who have wombat imaginary friends. Why do we do it with religion?

Fred
Image
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14414
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:22 am

alberchico wrote:
Still no word on the identity of the attacker ?

When something like this happens would the police have the right to detain the family and friends of terror suspects for questioning ?


In France it would be possible. Happened the other day with the family of the Orly attacker.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
Airstud
Posts: 4912
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:26 am

flipdewaf wrote:
SOBHI51 wrote:
Hope he will celebrate soon with the real killer in hell

This is part of the problem of religion, the sooner we stop believing in nonsense about the afterlife and people's souls continuing we'll still have crap like this happening. He isn't in hell, hell doesn't exist, his life just ended, there is nothing, he feels nothing he thinks nothing. It's the same as an earwig when it dies, its life just stops.

Religion is a construct in people's minds and if people do this and blame religion its nothing other than them being a Dick head and somehow telling people its because of an imaginary friend, then we tell people its because of the imaginary friend and after that.

If a child does something bad and then blames it on "Henry the wombat" we don't go and start giving grief to all the children who have wombat imaginary friends. Why do we do it with religion?

Fred


1. Going off-topic you are, at this moment, for we still don't know if there was a religious factor in the attacker's motivation.

2. Earwig?
Pancakes are delicious.
 
JJJ
Posts: 4071
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Re: Five people killed in terrorist attack near Parliament in London

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:01 am

PhilBy wrote:
It seems a little premature to start using the term 'terrorist attack' when 'independent nutjob' has not yet been ruled out. There was a time when a certain level of planning and coordination was required before an attack was classed as terrorist. This must be the least ept terrorist attack the UK has ever seen. Prince Philip and his cricket bat was more terrifying!


Independent nutjob and terrorist attack is classic AQ/ISIS.

Spread hate propaganda, wait for some idiot to swallow it whole then claim credit for the whole thing.
 
User avatar
winterlight
Posts: 1432
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:57 am

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:24 am

GDB wrote:
winterlight wrote:
Time for another round of mainstream media bingo! Eyes down for a full house.

ID card found at scene.
"Aloha Snackbar" heard being shouted
Suspect known to police and securuity services.
IS claim responsibility.


Given how you were telling us how the Lizard People or whoever you think is running things, were going to fix the EU Referendum to Remain, surprised you haven't slithered back to whatever tin foil place better suits.


You and Brimley are as predicable as these events!.
Question everything. Trust no-one.
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 13494
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:33 am

Airstud wrote:

2. Earwig?


Image
 
GDB
Posts: 14259
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:43 am

winterlight wrote:
GDB wrote:
winterlight wrote:
Time for another round of mainstream media bingo! Eyes down for a full house.

ID card found at scene.
"Aloha Snackbar" heard being shouted
Suspect known to police and securuity services.
IS claim responsibility.


Given how you were telling us how the Lizard People or whoever you think is running things, were going to fix the EU Referendum to Remain, surprised you haven't slithered back to whatever tin foil place better suits.


You and Brimley are as predicable as these events!.


They were predictable, since using vehicles as a battering ram to kill people by Islamists (if that is who he was/thought he was) has been used twice in the past year in other European countries. And requires few resources, just a car and a knife. Your point? Actually don't, three murdered and scores injured, some very severely (or are Doctors at St Thomas's Hospital in on whatever BS conspiracy you are implying).
You are not only stupid but rather disgusting too.





Your not onl
Last edited by GDB on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14414
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Five people killed in terrorist attack near Parliament in London

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:51 am

JJJ wrote:
Independent nutjob and terrorist attack is classic AQ/ISIS.

Spread hate propaganda, wait for some idiot to swallow it whole then claim credit for the whole thing.


I'd say it's classic Daesh, but not Al Qaeda. The main difference between the two is precisely that Al Qaeda is all about a hierarchy and planned attacks while Daesh advocates for "lone wolves" to do something, anything, in their name. Including plowing people with a car or attacking with a mere knife.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
GDB
Posts: 14259
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Five people killed in terrorist attack near Parliament in London

Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:02 am

Speaking of idiots, look who has stepped in with his ignorant size 9 boots;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39361079

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... sadiq-khan

Not only does this Spawn of Satan take Mayor Khan's comments about a NY bomb last year deliberately out of context, he reveals just what a scared, pathetic type he and his ilk are.
Living with terrorism IS a fact of life in major cities, especially Capitals, as London knows and has done for a long time, not just Islamists in the last dozen years but with the IRA from the 70's through to the 90's, you can go back further, in the early part of 20th Century Communists and Anarchists let off bombs, these were immigrants or fleeing from Eastern Europe, Jewish.
Indeed the rhetoric coming out from some mirrors what was said back then, blaming a whole group for the actions of a few.

This is not counting much worse terror in the shape of the WW1 and then much worse WW2 bombing from the air.

Trump Junior should stick to shooting half drugged Tigers in Africa where he pretends to be on Safari.
Last edited by GDB on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
Airstud
Posts: 4912
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: Five people killed in terrorist attack near Parliament in London

Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:08 am

CBS News is referring to Westminster as the home of the "oldest Parliament in the world" - however, I have long thought that distinction was held by the Alþing in Iceland. :boggled:
Pancakes are delicious.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15716
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Five people killed in terrorist attack near Parliament in London

Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:49 am

There are news reports that 6-7 people have been taken into police custody in Birmingham, UK in connection with this terror attack -
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/firearms-inci ... mycomments

Make no mistake, this was an act of Terrorism. Thankfully the perverted person who did this was killed by the police before they could kill more. Little has been discussed by the Police in London and the UK if this is connected to 'radical Islamic terrorism' in part to take away any benefit to that sick cause although the raids and arrests in Birmingham may be suggest that. I bet the person who did this terror act is a UK national, possibly by birth, faced discrimination on a regular basis that may have radicalized him. This is also another apparent 'lone wolf' attack, using a vehicle and a knife so near impossible to detect before carried out. London and the UK has long and sad history of terrorism, mainly 'domestic' by the IRA in the 1970's and into the 1990's and while take reasonable precautions, don't go militarized or have it take over politics with an overreaction and playing right into the terrorist's hands. Of course comment areas connected to this story spew mostly anti-Islamic hateful speech, that will just encourage more attacks.
 
User avatar
pvjin
Posts: 3586
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: Five people killed in terrorist attack near Parliament in London

Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:36 am

GDB wrote:
Living with terrorism IS a fact of life in major cities, especially Capitals, as London knows and has done for a long time, not just Islamists in the last dozen years but with the IRA from the 70's through to the 90's, you can go back further, in the early part of 20th Century Communists and Anarchists let off bombs, these were immigrants or fleeing from Eastern Europe, Jewish.


Usually those groups targeted only specific people / government assets or whatever, the way Islamic terror tends to target totally random people is very different and much worse IMO. Also, there are plenty of capitals in Europe that see little to no terror at all, and what they all have in common is that they have few radicalized Muslims in them. Political decisions in particular on migration & how much freedom hate preachers are given do affect the amount of terror a society witnesses.

But sure, do nothing and accept the attacks as an unavoidable part of daily life like a sheep. Personally I will rather limit migration & restrict the freedoms of radical Muslims and have no terrorism, thank you very much.

ltbewr wrote:
I bet the person who did this terror act is a UK national, possibly by birth, faced discrimination on a regular basis that may have radicalized him.


I bet he was just too lazy to work and didn't feel like integrating to the British society, and then blamed the society for problems that were truly his own fault.

ltbewr wrote:
Of course comment areas connected to this story spew mostly anti-Islamic hateful speech, that will just encourage more attacks.


What truly encourages more attacks is the way how westerners do absolutely nothing after each attack. Modern Western countries must be the most gutless, sheepish and cowardly nations that have ever existed on this planet, I can understand why radical Muslims lack respect towards them. Only thing they understand is force, and yet everybody is being soft and gentle.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr
 
PanHAM
Posts: 9719
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 6:44 pm

Re: Five people killed in terrorist attack near Parliament in London

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:35 am

The western Democracies have been through this testosterone swollen state of mind 100++ years ago. The result was two world wars and dozens of minor wars. Why should we repeat mistakes just becase some islamistic idiots are dreaming that they have to fight a war against us. Instead of cutting short these 100 years and arrive in 2017. Why should we give up our freedom and enter into a religious war when most of us are not even religious? Let them Play with the virgins, better, with themselves.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!
 
PhilBy
Posts: 840
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Five people killed in terrorist attack near Parliament in London

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:36 am

pvjin wrote:
Usually those groups targeted only specific people / government assets or whatever, the way Islamic terror tends to target totally random people is very different and much worse IMO.


The IRA list of specific people focussed on catholics, protestants (depending which IRA was doing the attacking), politicians, shoppers, random passers by.... The totally random approach is nothing new in the UK and definitely not invented by the modern islamic groups.
 
GDB
Posts: 14259
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Five people killed in terrorist attack near Parliament in London

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:44 am

pvjin wrote:
GDB wrote:
Living with terrorism IS a fact of life in major cities, especially Capitals, as London knows and has done for a long time, not just Islamists in the last dozen years but with the IRA from the 70's through to the 90's, you can go back further, in the early part of 20th Century Communists and Anarchists let off bombs, these were immigrants or fleeing from Eastern Europe, Jewish.


Usually those groups targeted only specific people / government assets or whatever, the way Islamic terror tends to target totally random people is very different and much worse IMO. Also, there are plenty of capitals in Europe that see little to no terror at all, and what they all have in common is that they have few radicalized Muslims in them. Political decisions in particular on migration & how much freedom hate preachers are given do affect the amount of terror a society witnesses.

But sure, do nothing and accept the attacks as an unavoidable part of daily life like a sheep. Personally I will rather limit migration & restrict the freedoms of radical Muslims and have no terrorism, thank you very much.

ltbewr wrote:
I bet the person who did this terror act is a UK national, possibly by birth, faced discrimination on a regular basis that may have radicalized him.


I bet he was just too lazy to work and didn't feel like integrating to the British society, and then blamed the society for problems that were truly his own fault.

ltbewr wrote:
Of course comment areas connected to this story spew mostly anti-Islamic hateful speech, that will just encourage more attacks.


What truly encourages more attacks is the way how westerners do absolutely nothing after each attack. Modern Western countries must be the most gutless, sheepish and cowardly nations that have ever existed on this planet, I can understand why radical Muslims lack respect towards them. Only thing they understand is force, and yet everybody is being soft and gentle.


The PM and police have stated the terrorist was BRITISH born. As there is an ongoing investigation, with those arrests, likely to ensure he WAS acting alone, however was he encouraged, or leant money to hire the car used in the knowledge why it would be? That has to be determined.
Parliament sat today, it's not about 'ignoring' or being 'soft and polite', it's about having experience in how to deal with these events, whatever the motivation or how it is carried out.
I'll take our way over yours. Always.

At least a dozen similar attacks have been prevented in the past few years in the UK, despite this lone wolf (if it is that in this case) type of attack being vey hard by it's nature to disrupt, for that you need intel, including from within the wider community these people come from.
Given the mumbers of attacks stopped, the numbers and convictions related to them, the security services seem to have had success here despite how little they have to go on when it's so low level, with no terrorist infrastructure to penetrate.

Unless you want to live in some kind of Police State, or make Muslims wear a crescent like another group once had to wear a Star Of David?
Not only would this create more radicalisation but it would show that they had won.
 
User avatar
winterlight
Posts: 1432
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:57 am

Re: Five people killed in terrorist attack near Parliament in London

Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:42 pm

Isn't a big brother police state what the government wants?
Question everything. Trust no-one.
 
User avatar
pvjin
Posts: 3586
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: Five people killed in terrorist attack near Parliament in London

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:49 pm

GDB wrote:
The PM and police have stated the terrorist was BRITISH born.


Yep, and the reason why some countries have so many native born terrorists are failed migration policies and integration. If you fail to integrate the parents it's very likely their children will not integrate either, as parents tend to have very strong influence over ideals and values of their children.

GDB wrote:
Unless you want to live in some kind of Police State, or make Muslims wear a crescent like another group once had to wear a Star Of David?
Not only would this create more radicalisation but it would show that they had won.


I believe that minorities inside any society should respect laws and social norms of the majority. Those who refuse should go find another society to live in. Those who agree are free to stay and be fully recognized & functioning members of the society. Some migrant groups seem to lack the idea of "When in Rome, do as the Romans do". Modern neoliberal individualism doesn't create successful societies, it simply results in social fragmentation and chaos which in long run will threaten the stability of the entire society.

To me it would seem that things will only continue to get worse in the future unless something changes in the way migration and integration are handled. Europe continues to receive more and more Muslim migrants, and it has a steady track record of failing to integrate a significant percentage of them. On top of this the poorly integrated migrants continue to have more children than the native population and better integrated migrants do, which means their influence over the society will increase every passing year. This can cause only more radicalization, more terrorism, more social fragmentation, and more pressure on European welfare systems. The entire model of European multiculturalism is flawed especially when it comes to dealing with certain migrant groups that face greater difficulties with integration than others, mostly because of their own cultural ideals.

I'm not fully sure whether the end result of this will be a police state or anarchy, but European liberal democracies can't stand increase of terrorism and social fragmentation forever. If we fail to stop these developments the terrorists have indeed won.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19949
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: British Parliament on lockdown after two people shot

Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:14 am

winterlight wrote:
You and Brimley are as predicable as these events!.


Pot, let me introduce you to kettle. Your not-job conspiracy theories are just as predictable. :rotfl:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19949
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Five people killed in terrorist attack near Parliament in London

Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:16 am

GDB wrote:
Speaking of idiots, look who has stepped in with his ignorant size 9 boots;


Apparently the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
JJJ
Posts: 4071
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Re: Five people killed in terrorist attack near Parliament in London

Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:23 am

GDB wrote:
pvjin wrote:
GDB wrote:
Living with terrorism IS a fact of life in major cities, especially Capitals, as London knows and has done for a long time, not just Islamists in the last dozen years but with the IRA from the 70's through to the 90's, you can go back further, in the early part of 20th Century Communists and Anarchists let off bombs, these were immigrants or fleeing from Eastern Europe, Jewish.


Usually those groups targeted only specific people / government assets or whatever, the way Islamic terror tends to target totally random people is very different and much worse IMO. Also, there are plenty of capitals in Europe that see little to no terror at all, and what they all have in common is that they have few radicalized Muslims in them. Political decisions in particular on migration & how much freedom hate preachers are given do affect the amount of terror a society witnesses.

But sure, do nothing and accept the attacks as an unavoidable part of daily life like a sheep. Personally I will rather limit migration & restrict the freedoms of radical Muslims and have no terrorism, thank you very much.

ltbewr wrote:
I bet the person who did this terror act is a UK national, possibly by birth, faced discrimination on a regular basis that may have radicalized him.


I bet he was just too lazy to work and didn't feel like integrating to the British society, and then blamed the society for problems that were truly his own fault.

ltbewr wrote:
Of course comment areas connected to this story spew mostly anti-Islamic hateful speech, that will just encourage more attacks.


What truly encourages more attacks is the way how westerners do absolutely nothing after each attack. Modern Western countries must be the most gutless, sheepish and cowardly nations that have ever existed on this planet, I can understand why radical Muslims lack respect towards them. Only thing they understand is force, and yet everybody is being soft and gentle.


The PM and police have stated the terrorist was BRITISH born.


Not only British born, apparently he was born of Christian (Jamaican) parents.

Coincidentally, the earlier suspect name given (Abu Izzadeen) was also born Trevor Brooks and converted to Islam as a teenager despite being born in a Christian family of Jamaican origin.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 14563
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Five people killed in terrorist attack near Parliament in London

Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:27 am

winterlight wrote:
Isn't a big brother police state what the government wants?


Have you been to London? That city is as close to a 1984 style surveillance city as you can make it.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
User avatar
Dano1977
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:49 pm

Re: Five people killed in terrorist attack near Parliament in London

Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:50 am

tommy1808 wrote:
winterlight wrote:
Isn't a big brother police state what the government wants?


Have you been to London? That city is as close to a 1984 style surveillance city as you can make it.

best regards
Thomas


Yep, But if you haven't done anything wrong then their is nothing to worry about.

Plus also factor in the laws put into place to stop misuse of surveillance cameras, and also take into account, the state just cannot put up a surveillance camera because they feel like it.

If you also look at the laws in use for surveillance cameras...

Protection of Freedoms Act 2012
The Private security Act 2001
Data Protection Act 1998
Human Rights Act 1998

And if used in a criminal investigation

Criminal Procedure and Investigations Act (CPIA) 1996 - Audit trails, integrity of evidence, continuity of evidence
Police and Criminal Evidence (PACE) Act 1984 - Documentary evidence, exhibits identification procedures
Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA)
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 14563
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Five people killed in terrorist attack near Parliament in London

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:06 am

Dano1977 wrote:
Yep, But if you haven't done anything wrong then their is nothing to worry about.)


And if you do plan on some wrong doing, they are mostly good for TV pictures after the event.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: anyong, flyguy89 and 26 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos