Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aaden
Topic Author

Job Interview procedure (references)

Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:32 pm

Hi all,

I was hoping for some insight on my situation.

I recently interviewed (2nd interview- the first was a long phone conversation) at a company in California for a position.
They flew me out and paid for everything. When I got back I sent a Thank you email her. She responded a few minutes ago asking form my references.

I have never been through this type of hiring process before.

What does that mean for my chances if anything? If anyone has any insight or experience with this type of situation I would love to hear it some.

I'm really interested and hopeful that I get the opportunity and it's driving me nuts.

Thanks everybody.

FriscoHeavy

Re: Job Interview procedure (references)

Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:39 pm

You have very good chances as long as you provide good references who don't throw you under the bus.

Dig up 2-3 professional references and send them to her right away.
Whatever

AdamVS

Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:47 pm

It sounds like you did a great job - companies generally don't spend money on a candidate unless they're particularly interested. Definitely get some solid references - coworkers you've worked with longer than a year and a manager if you've got them. If you don't have professional references, references from volunteer opportunities or schooling can work as well. I always prefer to let my references know that I'm using them so that they can be prepared for a call. And if you don't happen to get this position, definitely keep in touch with the company; you never know what might happen down the road (I've gotten calls months later in references to opportunities I thought were totally lost). Good luck!

casinterest

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:20 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
You have very good chances as long as you provide good references who don't throw you under the bus.

Dig up 2-3 professional references and send them to her right away.

Yep. Looks like the hiring managers are proceeding, and HR is just trying to cover it's basis.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

desertjets

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:21 pm

Of course you should have already had references picked out and notified that you are job searching, right?????

But yes once they get to the reference check stage it is usually a positive sign that they are close to making a decision. Of course this depends on how many folks they brought in for a 2nd in-person interview.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Bongodog1964

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:23 pm

Can't speak for the US, but over here employers normally only seek references once they've decided who to hire. LLooks to me like the jobs yours.

Can't see the point really in asking for references, no one in their right mind is ever going to provide details of someone who isn't going to be positive about them.

cjg225

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:28 pm

Bongodog1964 wrote:
Can't see the point really in asking for references, no one in their right mind is ever going to provide details of someone who isn't going to be positive about them.

Unless you misinterpret or don't actually know how people feel about you.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

aaden
Topic Author

Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:22 pm

desertjets wrote:
Of course you should have already had references picked out and notified that you are job searching, right?????

But yes once they get to the reference check stage it is usually a positive sign that they are close to making a decision. Of course this depends on how many folks they brought in for a 2nd in-person interview.

They haven't called my references yet- I don't want to get my hopes up, but I would really like this job.

I am in the dark as to how many candidates they chose to have a second interview for.

Would they ask for references if I wasn't the number one candidate?

aaden
Topic Author

Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:22 pm

desertjets wrote:

Yes and I gave them a heads up that I used them.

Flighty

Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:56 pm

You chances are excellent. You are either in the final-final pool of maybe 2 people, or they are focusing on you alone, and will give you an offer as long as nothing drastic comes up.