Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bmacleod
Topic Author

Former FBI director Comey testifies before Senate hearing

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:45 pm

This likely will be watched very closely by all the networks.

Could there be a 'smoking gun' unveiled during Comey's testimony?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/08/politics/comey-hearing-live/index.html

moo

Re: Former FBI director Comey testifies before Senate hearing

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:49 pm

I think McCain needs a dementia test from a doctor, he was definitely showing signs of something - incoherent at times, odd questions, pointless lines of questioning, confused understandings of events and situations etc.

Lemieux

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:49 pm

moo wrote:
I think McCain needs a dementia test from a doctor, he was definitely showing signs of something - incoherent at times, odd questions, pointless lines of questioning, confused understandings of events and situations etc.

My thoughts exactly, was impossible to watch.

salttee

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:57 pm

Comey was scathing in his testimony. He out and out called Trump a liar. And he pulled the rug out from under Trump's witch hunt for leaks when he said that it was he who fed the press the fact that Trump had tried to get him to end the investigation of Flynn.

DfwRevolution

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:16 pm

salttee wrote:
And he pulled the rug out from under Trump's witch hunt for leaks when he said that it was he who fed the press the fact that Trump had tried to get him to end the Russian investigations.

Comey never said that. You are completely misrepresenting what was said today.

- Comey said (repeatedly) that no member of the Trump administration ever pressured him to end the investigation into Russia's election tampering.
- Comey said that he leaked the memo of his one-on-one conversation with President Trump regarding Michael Flynn in response to Trump's claim or suggestion that he had a recording of their meeting.
- Comey said that Trump never gave him any direct orders on how to handle the Flynn investigation
- Comey said that he interpreted Trump's comment regarding the Flynn investigation that he "[hoped] you can let this go" as a request.
- Comey said he knew of no statute of precedent for interpreting Trump's request as an obstruction.

Also of interest:
- Comey said that he was instructed by the Obama administration to downplay the Clinton investigation
- Comey said that he made his July 5, 2016 remarks about Hillary Clinton because he perceived that Obama and Lynch were not impartial

So basically, Comey just obliterated the narrative that Trump was meddling in the Russia investigation and just gave concrete testimony that the previous administration was meddling in the Clinton investigation. Is that what everyone expected to learn today?

mbmbos

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:21 pm

Well, you can continue to spin it - desperately- any way you like, DfwRevolution. Comey's testimony pretty much confirms obstruction charges at the very least.

salttee

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:36 pm

DfwRevolution wrote:
salttee wrote:
And he pulled the rug out from under Trump's witch hunt for leaks when he said that it was he who fed the press the fact that Trump had tried to get him to end the Russian investigations.

I corrected my statement before you made this post. No, I did not completely misrepresent what was said. Comey did throw a monkey wrench into Trump's witch hunt for leaks when he announced that he had fed the press his memo about Trump. And Trump was trying to shut down the whole Russian investigation. That was what all the talk of "loyalty" was about.

But you're right, Comey's testimony was that Trump had only ventured as far as Flynn's part.

Reuters headline is: Comey says Trump fired him to undermine FBI Russia investigation
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN18Z0HC

So I wasn't far off.
Last edited by salttee on Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seahawk

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:37 pm

I hope the new FBI director will now focus on the crimes of Hillary and Obama. The Russian cloud is gone.

DfwRevolution

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:42 pm

mbmbos wrote:
Well, you can continue to spin it - desperately- any way you like, DfwRevolution. Comey's testimony pretty much confirms obstruction charges at the very least.

I am relaying what Comey said in the plainest terms. Comey just said that he was not aware of a situation in which Trump obstructed an investigation. Now, if you question the credibility of what Comey says, then your dispute is with Comey and not me.

It must be brutally painful to go through life twisting other people's words into the opposite of what they just said. Surely the mental gymnastics would exhaust you at some point.

salttee

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:45 pm

seahawk wrote:
I hope the new FBI director will now focus on the crimes of Hillary and Obama.
LOL

seahawk wrote:
The Russian cloud is gone.
LOL

You must have posted this on the wrong site, this isn't freeperville. Everyone here knows that the Russian investigation is now being handled by Mueller's independent committee now.

salttee

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:54 pm

DfwRevolution wrote:
mbmbos wrote:
It must be brutally painful to go through life twisting other people's words into the opposite of what they just said.

Oh, the irony!

Comey's words:
"Again, I take the president's words. I know I was fired because of something about the way I was conducting the Russia investigation was in some way putting pressure on him, in some way irritating him, and he decided to fire me because of that."

Comey earlier told the Senate Intelligence Committee that he believed Trump had directed him to drop an FBI probe into Flynn as part of the Russia investigation. But Comey chose not to give his opinion on whether Trump sought to obstruct justice:

"I don't think it's for me to say whether the conversation I had with the president was an effort to obstruct. I took it as a very disturbing thing, very concerning,"

He (properly) didn't voice an opinion.

DfwRevolution

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:58 pm

salttee wrote:
DfwRevolution wrote:
salttee wrote:

I corrected my statement before you made this post. No, I did not completely misrepresent what was said.

Your reply #4 shows unedited, but I'll take you at your word.

Comey just testified that Trump never asked him to "end the Russian investigations." Comey explained that he leaked the memo in response to Trump claiming that he had an audio recording of their exchange. So, you have misrepresented both the reason and the content of Comey's leak.

salttee wrote:
And Trump was trying to shut down the whole Russian investigation. That was what all the talk of "loyalty" was about.

Comey just said the opposite. Here is the verbatim text of Comey's sworn testimony:

BURR: Director Comey, did the president at any time ask you to stop the FBI investigation into Russian involvement in the 2016 U.S. Elections?

COMEY: Not to my understanding, no.

BURR: Did any individual working for this administration, including the justice department, ask you to stop the Russian investigation?

COMEY: No.

salttee wrote:
DfwRevolution wrote:
mbmbos wrote:
It must be brutally painful to go through life twisting other people's words into the opposite of what they just said.

Oh, the irony!

Comey's words:
"Again, I take the president's words. I know I was fired because of something about the way I was conducting the Russia investigation was in some way putting pressure on him, in some way irritating him, and he decided to fire me because of that."

Operative words: "the way I was conducting the Russia investigation"

It is easy to imagine that Trump wanted the Russia investigation to continue but under the leadership of someone other than Jim Comey. It was likely infuriating to Trump that the Comey was privately telling Trump that he was not the subject of an investigation while refusing to say so publicly.

salttee

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:05 pm

DfwRevolution wrote:
Comey just testified that Trump never asked him to "end the Russian investigations." Comey explained that he leaked the memo in response to Trump claiming that he had an audio recording of their exchange. So, you have misrepresented both the reason and the content of Comey's leak.

salttee wrote:
And Trump was trying to shut down the whole Russian investigation. That was what all the talk of "loyalty" was about.

Comey just said the opposite. Here is the verbatim text of Comey's sworn testimony:

BURR: Director Comey, did the president at any time ask you to stop the FBI investigation into Russian involvement in the 2016 U.S. Elections?

COMEY: Not to my understanding, no.

BURR: Did any individual working for this administration, including the justice department, ask you to stop the Russian investigation?

COMEY: No.
No, Trump never out and out asked him to end the investigation. But Comey's testimony indicates that Trump danced around that request from January until the day Comey was fired.. Burr's question was a specific question and he received a specific answer.

You're not fooling anyone with this poor attempt at spin.

DfwRevolution wrote:
It is easy to imagine that Trump wanted the Russia investigation to continue but under the leadership of someone other than Jim Comey.

Yea, it's also easy to imagine Polar bears dancing on the bar at Mar a Lago if you're of the type who imagines such things.

flyingturtle

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:24 pm

Damaging enough when somebody can't publicly answer the question if and how Trump (and his entourage) colluded with Russia during the elections. If there was nothing, Comey would simply have said "To my knowledge, there are no indications of any collusion between Mr. Trump and any Russian entities."

But yet, Trump fanboys cherish the fact that Comey reassured that Trump wasn't the target of any investigation. Which is pretty stupid of them, because nobody ever said Trump was being investigated. Straw men are useful men.

McCain was painful to watch. "President Comey..."

David

Tugger

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:28 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
If there was nothing, Comey would simply have said "To my knowledge, there are no indications of any collusion between Mr. Trump and any Russian entities."

Actually, no, he wouldn't say any such thing. He would not say anything indicating a direction or what may or may not have been found in the investigation. He would not want to put any onus on the investigation and investigators be saying something one way or another.

Tugg

Flighty

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:31 pm

If the president doesn't control the Attorney General and the FBI Director, does the president control the US military? Does he control the Dept of Education?

Would he be obstructing the military's activity if he offered them his input, (as their supreme commander?)

The whole thing seems precious, and let's be honest. The NYT theme is that Trump is not the legitimate president, and that they and the Elect/elite get to appoint the leader of the world, as has been custom for years (in their mind). They are furious that the US voters still retain their constitutional powers. That's what this is about. (really)

socalgeo

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:33 pm

Total nothingburger. The CNN web site has big headlines about Comey calling Trump a liar right now. If that's all that they can say after their build up of this event then they must be sorely disappointed.

I can't believe that people actually took the morning off from work to watch this.

Ken777

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:36 pm

Since Trump actually went on TV and tied Comey's firing to the Russian Investigation it's is axiomatic that the firing was linked to the Russian Investigation.

Part of that Russian Investigation includes Flynn and that is where Trump was trying to "influence" Comey instead or directly ordering him. Evaluating the difference will be one of the points where Congress will need as they go down the path to potential impeachment.

I can understand why Trump Supporters are going to try to distort Comey's testimony but the burden they are carrying is that Trump is so lost when it comes to the President's jobs, responsibilities and limitations that he easily tosses out SNAFUs, FUBARs and legal violations. Totally ignorant decisions like Article 5, the Paris Accord and trying to kick 23 million off of Medicare are good examples.

On the legal issues there will be a lot of posts on a lot of boards,, but it is the duty those serving in Congress to make actual determinations on the legality (or illegality) of Trump's actions. There are going to be multiple Senate sessions that are not open to the public and there will also be Grand Jury testimonies for those who "declined" to answer in a public session. I believe that TrumpGate is much further down the line than Watergate was at this stage.

flyingturtle

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:50 pm

Mr. Trump's lawyer, Mr. Kasowitz, just wrote "Predisent" in his communique. Wholly unpresidented!

And he continues to defend Trump where he hasn't been attacked at all:
- Comey: The Russians didn't change a single vote. Kasowitz: See, Comey said the Russians didn't change a single vote... but silence on how Russians influenced the elections with fake news, et cetera.
- Comey divulged information from private meetings. Oh, really? What Comey "leaked" to the public is pretty benign, but you get a feeling of how Comey must have felt during these one-to-one meetings. And all his memos aren't public yet, they are in the possession of Robert F. Mueller now.

I begin to believe the Trump presidency will end in some months.

David

socalgeo

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:56 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
Mr. Trump's lawyer, Mr. Kasowitz, just wrote "Predisent" in his communique. Wholly unpresidented!

And he continues to defend Trump where he hasn't been attacked at all:
- Comey: The Russians didn't change a single vote. Kasowitz: See, Comey said the Russians didn't change a single vote... but silence on how Russians influenced the elections with fake news, et cetera.
- Comey divulged information from private meetings. Oh, really? What Comey "leaked" to the public is pretty benign, but you get a feeling of how Comey must have felt during these one-to-one meetings. And all his memos aren't public yet, they are in the possession of Robert F. Mueller now.

I begin to believe the Trump presidency will end in some months.

David

I predict it will end in about 92 months....

BobPatterson

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:57 pm

Lemieux wrote:
moo wrote:

My thoughts exactly, was impossible to watch.

Sen. McCain is not a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee. As a matter of Senatorial courtesy he was allowed, as a former member of the committee, to sit in and ask questions.

He had a personal agenda in trying to discredit Mr. Comey. He tried to play dumb to the fact that the investigation (now closed) into Mrs. Clinton's emails, and the current investigation (still very much open) into Russian meddling and possible wrongdoing by persons close to Mr. Trump (and perhaps Trump himself), are two very different things.

I got the impression that Sen. McCain was in way over his head, and a sorry shadow of his former self.

He should have retired.

mbmbos

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:00 pm

socalgeo wrote:
Total nothingburger. The CNN web site has big headlines about Comey calling Trump a liar right now. If that's all that they can say after their build up of this event then they must be sorely disappointed.

I can't believe that people actually took the morning off from work to watch this.

Ah yes, nothing to see here folks - just move along.

Riiiiight.

I understand you have very few viable defenses for this execrable behavior on the part of Trump, but this is weak. And the use of "nothingburger" is pulled directly out of the Right's talking points today. So you don't even get extra points for originality.

mbmbos

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:07 pm

Flighty wrote:
If the president doesn't control the Attorney General and the FBI Director, does the president control the US military? Does he control the Dept of Education?

Would he be obstructing the military's activity if he offered them his input, (as their supreme commander?)

The whole thing seems precious, and let's be honest. The NYT theme is that Trump is not the legitimate president, and that they and the Elect/elite get to appoint the leader of the world, as has been custom for years (in their mind). They are furious that the US voters still retain their constitutional powers. That's what this is about. (really)

I would respectfully encourage you to take a civics class on U.S. government. You are conflating a whole bunch of things here that are not equivalent. For example the FBI, CIA and Justice Department are all structured to have much more independence from the presidential administration than, say, the Department of Education. And it is set up that way for very good reasons. Reasons that are playing out REAL TIME right now!

In the U.S., we elect Presidents not kings. Our elected officials - including presidents - are subject to scrutiny and have been factored into a system of checks and balances, which are a part of our constitution, a part of our governmental traditions and a part of our culture for over 200 years.

socalgeo

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:07 pm

mbmbos wrote:
socalgeo wrote:

Riiiiight.

I understand you have very few viable defenses for this execrable behavior on the part of Trump, but this is weak. And the use of "nothingburger" is pulled directly out of the Right's talking points today. So you don't even get extra points for originality.

I understand that Trump has hurt your feelings and that you are angry. The bottom line on this latest sad episode of global Trump derangement syndrome is that once again, despite the protestations of the left, Trump is shown to have done nothing illegal, or wrong, other than going out of his way to offend the likes of you.

At this point, most Trump supporters are happy for this to continue because the more you focus on this bullshit the less you focus on actually doing anything worthwhile. Come 2018 and 2020 this will result in note GOP wins, not less.

dtw2hyd

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:14 pm

Chris Como and Jake Tapper could have appeared today.

Is there one person Comey was not talking to about his job outside the bureau? Every family member and friend is aware of his dealing and feelings.

If Russian meddling started in 2015 what did Obama do? Kept quiet because HRC was a sure thing? Blindsided by Trump win and dems are throwing a fit.

Liberals are better than this.

Dutchy

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:18 pm

socalgeo wrote:
mbmbos wrote:
socalgeo wrote:

Riiiiight.

I understand that Trump has hurt your feelings and that you are angry. The bottom line on this latest sad episode of global Trump derangement syndrome is that once again, despite the protestations of the left, Trump is shown to have done nothing illegal, or wrong, other than going out of his way to offend the likes of you.

At this point, most Trump supporters are happy for this to continue because the more you focus on this bullshit the less you focus on actually doing anything worthwhile. Come 2018 and 2020 this will result in note GOP wins, not less.

Based on what? What will the Trump administration actually have done for the people whom have voted for him? The new health care act certainly isn't it.

mbmbos

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:19 pm

socalgeo wrote:

And you keep soldiering on. Sad. Keep going with it. But remember, shouting "nothingburger" isn't going to stop the investigation.

coolian2

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:21 pm

The Trump administration lied?

Well slap my ass and call me Betty.

BobPatterson

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:25 pm

I find it interesting that no one here has mentioned the fact that at least half of Mr. Comey's testimony was reserved for secret/closed session of the committee.

We might have to wait a few hours, possibly even a day or two, for it to begin to leak out.

I doubt that we have yet to hear the worst about "Mr. Trump and his satellites".

flyingturtle

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:34 pm

Who cannot love the Trumpians - "See, Comey admitted X! We have been right all the time! But everything else he said is still a lie!"

David

coolian2

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:43 pm

"We wouldn't lie so badly. We only have the best, most tremendous lies"

socalgeo

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:55 pm

Dutchy wrote:
socalgeo wrote:
mbmbos wrote:

Riiiiight.

Based on what? What will the Trump administration actually have done for the people whom have voted for him? The new health care act certainly isn't it.

This is a fair question. But honestly, I'm very confident that there is absolutely nothing that I can say or do to change your mind, or even help you understand where I'm coming from. Wouldn't you agree?

salttee

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:01 pm

socalgeo wrote:
I'm very confident that there is absolutely nothing that I can say or do to change your mind, or even help you understand where I'm coming from.

Where are you coming from?

Just go ahead and say it.

Flighty

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:02 pm

Mmmbos, if you feel that the Justice Dept is an independent organization, or enjoys some form of constitutional protection from presidential supervision, can you cite a source for that?

I think that is kind of a made-up thing. J Edgar Hoover was independent, not by statute, but because he blackmailed people. Subsequently, the ten year term at least implies some separation. I get that there is an implication there, so that's nice.
Last edited by Flighty on Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dutchy

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:03 pm

socalgeo wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
socalgeo wrote:

This is a fair question. But honestly, I'm very confident that there is absolutely nothing that I can say or do to change your mind, or even help you understand where I'm coming from. Wouldn't you agree?

No, please explain. I think we need to explain more why we think the way we do. Perhaps per PM if you prefer, I will listen I will answer.

bhill

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:07 pm

Comey is/was a PRIVATE citizen after he was fired...as long as it was not classified, he can say whatever he wants, not a leak. There will be an obstruction of justice for the Flynn fiasco. And Cheetoe's attorney has already misspoke about the dates of the release of the memo Comey wrote. I would too if I knew the evidence was going to be swept away by Cheetos minions in the Justice Department....

Tugger

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:16 pm

Flighty wrote:

Sure, he could if that is desired. A president could order the military to something that is illegal (not saying any of this would happen but: "I order you to take the Congress into custody." Or: shoot that guy on the street, I feel threatened."). Also the president can make statements that people and in particular other nations take as threatening creating a dangerous situation for the military.

I am not saying a president would say or do such things, just saying that he could cause "obstructions" with input he gives.

Tugg

socalgeo

Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:11 pm

Dutchy wrote:
socalgeo wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

No, please explain. I think we need to explain more why we think the way we do. Perhaps per PM if you prefer, I will listen I will answer.

I do think that it would be great to have an actual respectful conversation with a non-Pres.Trump supporter.

I just don't think that it is possible.

There seems to me to be little or no understanding on the Left of the level of "bridge-burning" that has taken place at every level of this country since November. I honestly do not believe that our county will ever recover. This may sound a bit melodramatic, but there it is.

Sure, the Right did their share of obstruction and gnashing of teeth with Pres. Obama, and yes there were fringes on the right who made unacceptable and racist statements about Pres. Obama. But, not to this level.

For me, at a very personal level, I gave up on any hope for this country when my lovely wife, who is the nicest person you will ever meet, a registered Democrat, and Hillary voter, and a Mexican-American on top of all of that, posted a very reasonable message on a social media forum right after the election that while she did not support President Trump, the people rioting at the inauguration were wrong and that we need to give him a chance. The response from many of her so-called friends was that she is a racist and probably in the KKK. She has been shunned, and lost several of these friends permanently. Literally over one single innocuous post. Just a little microcosm of what has been going on all over this country since November.

At a different level, I gave up on any hope for this country when during the election, Democratic Senator Harry Reid (the Minority Leader at the time) called for the US Intelligence agencies to lie to then Candidate Trump on their security briefings to him. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/har ... 80b5317f6e. This outrageous action was embraced by most on the left, and condemned by none of the left. Totally outrageous and disgusting.

So, I'll end this with a question, do you actually believe that there is any possibility for common ground after the last 6 months of anti-Trump hysteria? I certainly do not.

salttee

Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:27 pm

So your obsessive hatred for the "left" is based on your wife's tiff on a social media forum and something Harry Reid said?

That's it?

socalgeo

Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:33 pm

salttee wrote:
So your obsessive hatred for the "left" is based on your wife's tiff on a social media forum and something Harry Reid said?

That's it?

Well that ended quickly. So much for having a real conversation. Oh well.

DIRECTFLT

Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:18 pm

Now, can we please let The President get back to #MAGA !!!

Mir

Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:44 pm

socalgeo wrote:

Other than suggest to the FBI director that he should drop an investigation into one of his buddies, and then fire him when he refused to do it. You know, obstruction of justice and all that.

coolian2

Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:14 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Now, can we please let The President get back to #MAGA !!!

Get him off the fucking golf course then.

tommy1808

Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:52 am

DfwRevolution wrote:
So basically, Comey just obliterated the narrative that Trump was meddling in the Russia investigation and just gave concrete testimony that the previous administration was meddling in the Clinton investigation. Is that what everyone expected to learn today?

Ah.. Spin control at its best.

A) they didn't meddle in the investigation, they told him to downplay it, i.e. keeping it less public
B) the alternative, level playing field and such, would have been to make the investigation how Russia is meddling in the election in Trumps favor public before the election.

How would you have liked that?

Best regards
Thomas

ltbewr

Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:59 am

Comey's testimony in public and in closed session today is only 1 part of the investigations as to Trump and his administration. Comey has his issues in part from his controversial handling of the Hillary Clinton e-mail server investigation and related issues but in the end did hurt Trump. To me a critical issue is that of Trump in his discussions with Comey was desperate to quash any investigations in connections with the elections and Russia of him and his key people. Trump still has terrible issues of financial dealing with Russians that need further investigations, especially release of decades of tax returns of Trump himself and of his companies. In the end, it will be politics that will break Trump.

Francoflier

Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:34 am

This went pretty much as expected.

-Comey confirmed that the president met with him in a one-on-one fashion more than once and at least once asked for his loyalty.
-He confirmed that Trump asked or suggested that he would 'go easy' on Flynn and that he hoped he ' could let this go', which Comey interpreted as a request from the President.
-He confirmed he felt uneasy and hawkward when the President made these various request in 'tete-a-tete', and that he felt it was inappropriate.
-He confirmed that Trump asked him to state whether he was under investigation and Comey said no.

What I find interesting is that Trump's insistance that he be declared not guilty was the source of his frustration. He was visibly trying hard to get Comey to admit this publicly. The problem is that Comey felt this would not be appropriate since the investigation concerned several key members of his campaign team, and as such, there was the possibility that Trump could possibly be implicated at a later stage of the investigation.

Crucially, he confirmed unequivocally that there was serious Russian interference in the campaign, and when asked, seemed of the opinion that the President, despite being told of this fact, did not seem unduly worried or willing to do much about it...

DIRECTFLT

Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:24 am

Mir wrote:
Other than suggest to the FBI director that he should drop an investigation into one of his buddies, and then fire him when he refused to do it. You know, obstruction of justice and all that.

Trump fired the Director, he did *not* fire "the FBI" !

Nothing Trump did rises to the level of impeachment. It's perfectly legal for the President to fire the FBI director, for ANY reason. Even if that makes you feel unhappy.

coolian2

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:06 am

Would you be so kind as to stop using memes (if they qualify) as a response? It really doesn't help you eh.

ThePointblank

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:16 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Mir wrote:

Trump fired the Director, he did *not* fire "the FBI" !

Nothing Trump did rises to the level of impeachment. It's perfectly legal for the President to fire the FBI director, for ANY reason. Even if that makes you feel unhappy.

Unless the President fired the director of the FBI in an attempt to hinder or shut down an investigation... That's easily impeachable, as that's obstruction of justice.

Dutchy

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:28 am

socalgeo wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
socalgeo wrote:

I do think that it would be great to have an actual respectful conversation with a non-Pres.Trump supporter.

I just don't think that it is possible.

There seems to me to be little or no understanding on the Left of the level of "bridge-burning" that has taken place at every level of this country since November. I honestly do not believe that our county will ever recover. This may sound a bit melodramatic, but there it is.

Sure, the Right did their share of obstruction and gnashing of teeth with Pres. Obama, and yes there were fringes on the right who made unacceptable and racist statements about Pres. Obama. But, not to this level.

For me, at a very personal level, I gave up on any hope for this country when my lovely wife, who is the nicest person you will ever meet, a registered Democrat, and Hillary voter, and a Mexican-American on top of all of that, posted a very reasonable message on a social media forum right after the election that while she did not support President Trump, the people rioting at the inauguration were wrong and that we need to give him a chance. The response from many of her so-called friends was that she is a racist and probably in the KKK. She has been shunned, and lost several of these friends permanently. Literally over one single innocuous post. Just a little microcosm of what has been going on all over this country since November.

At a different level, I gave up on any hope for this country when during the election, Democratic Senator Harry Reid (the Minority Leader at the time) called for the US Intelligence agencies to lie to then Candidate Trump on their security briefings to him. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/har ... 80b5317f6e. This outrageous action was embraced by most on the left, and condemned by none of the left. Totally outrageous and disgusting.

So, I'll end this with a question, do you actually believe that there is any possibility for common ground after the last 6 months of anti-Trump hysteria? I certainly do not.

I will condom the reaction to the perfectly reasonable post from your wife. Things are polarized, your president does contribute a great deal to that. Now we are a few weeks into the presidency of Mister Trump.

I am not so pessimistic about America. In the end, America is still a country and Americans have to deal with each other one way or another. Nobody is going anywhere. In my country, things are not that polarized, but we are also on our way, like in many western countries. We have the protest party, PVV. We had a site before our election with which we could chat with people which supported other parties, like the PVV. Talking to them is a great way to bridge the cap. And not talk about the differences, but talk about what they see as problems in society first. And then you probably see many make the same analysis and that is a great common ground to look at why people support this kind of solutions. And will make you understand the other side and understanding will bring everyone along way.

So I invite you to talk about the issues itself. I am thuly interested in why you support this president.