Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TerminalD
Topic Author

DL Pulls Sponsorship of Julius Caeser Performance Calling It "Trump-like"

Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:25 am

This appears to be similar to the Kathy Griffin controversy. At first I thought Delta pulled because it was pro-Trump, but it's the opposite.

Delta Air Lines announced via a series of tweets that it would be pulling its sponsorship of The Public Theater "effective immediately" because the company put on a production of "Julius Caesar" in which the central character mirrors President Donald Trump — until he is stabbed falling on stage with a blood-covered chest. The airline had sponsored The Public Theater for the past four years.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/et- ... ar-n770821

BroadwayLimited

Re: DL Pulls Sponsorship of Julius Caeser Performance Calling It "Trump-like"

Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:47 am

Bank of America pulled out also.

crownvic

Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:47 am

Thank you Delta...well done..totally agree with their decision

Flaps

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:13 am

I'm glad DL pulled out. Was considering switching carriers.

ltbewr

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:23 am

Sponsors have a proper right to withdraw sponsorships of entertainment events that have content as here that will upset customers instead of attracting them. With the current hyper-attention to bad and controversial service and treatment with passengers by airlines, the last they need is to support a production of a play that suggests the physical death of a sitting President. For sure they wouldn't have done it with President Obama or any other past President.
The Puerto Rico day parade held Sunday in NYC lost JetBlue Airlines and other major sponsors who pulled their long support of it due the original and later withdrawn Honored person who had spent over 25 years in Federal Prison due to connections to deadly terrorism bombings in NYC in the late 1970's and early 1980's (his sentence was commuted by President Obama, sadly for politcal too).
I suspect airlines and other companies will be less likely to be involved in any sponsorships where any hint of similar controversy or have clauses in future contracts with outs of them if they deem the subject not good for business. With the internet we also see how quickly any controversy can spread around the world and hurt companies.

coolian2

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:33 am

I'm pretty sure Julius Caesar was written in like 1599 by William Shakespeare?

carljanderson

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:36 am

ltbewr wrote:
With the internet we also see how quickly any controversy can spread around the world and hurt companies.

I do agree that companies have the right to pull sponsorship. However, what I do wonder is that in this day and age, when we all get outraged over every little thing, how much damage would any of these "controversies" actually do? There seems to be a outrage du jour.

Re: this one.. It is Julius Caesar, in case anyone actually read Shakespeare in high school

(and where was the "outrage" in 2012 when Caesar was black... http://www.theamericanconservative.com/ ... -of-march/ ... which is my point if there was any outrage)

seat55a

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:05 am

Heaven forbid, Shakespeare is topical! And there's a long tradition, as old as theatre (back to classical Greece), of plays taking the mickey out of political figures. The play certainly doesn't approve the actions of the assassins, but I guess that's too fine a distinction?

By the way, I understand the dialog is not altered at all, it's just that Caesar wears a ridiculous hairpiece.

airzona11

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:47 am

seat55a wrote:
Heaven forbid, Shakespeare is topical! And there's a long tradition, as old as theatre (back to classical Greece), of plays taking the mickey out of political figures. The play certainly doesn't approve the actions of the assassins, but I guess that's too fine a distinction?

By the way, I understand the dialog is not altered at all, it's just that Caesar wears a ridiculous hairpiece.

Harming the likeness of the President of the United States is not a good look, regardless of who is in office. DL takes the highroad. Good for them.

usdcaguy

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:52 am

Delta is free to do what it wants with its giving, but pulling sponsorship without first considering the merits of artistic license seems a little unsophisticated. The majority of New Yorkers love seeing their entertainers mock Trump, and if Delta is to be New York's airline, it should remember that.

EA CO AS

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:03 am

usdcaguy wrote:
Delta is free to do what it wants with its giving, but pulling sponsorship without first considering the merits of artistic license seems a little unsophisticated. The majority of New Yorkers love seeing their entertainers mock Trump, and if Delta is to be New York's airline, it should remember that.

It's not good business to alienate half of your potential customers nationally, regardless of whether or not Delta wants to be "New York's airline" (it's not - no one is).

jakubz

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:11 am

usdcaguy wrote:

Ok, I'm not gonna get into the merrits of the play or Trump.

What do they gain or loose by supporting a play which might be perceived as mocking/attacking Trump? I see little gain and potentially big loses (60+ million voted for him, how many of those would be mad enough to switch carriers over this)
What do they gain or loose by not associating themselves with such a production? I see little up or downside to staying away from the play.

Just my 2 cents.

Mir

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:35 am

For an airline that wants to compete in the NYC market, this is not a good look. This is not the first time a sitting president has been portrayed in Julius Caesar, why the outrage now? Obama was portrayed as Caesar a couple of times and nobody batted an eye. Perhaps those who want the sponsors to pull out should read the play and try to understand the context around it (a bit of a spoiler alert: Caesar is not the villain in the play).

I thought Delta was better than reacting to the basest instincts of FoxNews. Apparently I was wrong. Shame on them.

FlyUSAir

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:52 am

Mir wrote:
For an airline that wants to compete in the NYC market, this is not a good look. This is not the first time a sitting president has been portrayed in Julius Caesar, why the outrage now? Obama was portrayed as Caesar a couple of times and nobody batted an eye. Perhaps those who want the sponsors to pull out should read the play and try to understand the context around it (a bit of a spoiler alert: Caesar is not the villain in the play).

I thought Delta was better than reacting to the basest instincts of FoxNews. Apparently I was wrong. Shame on them.

I'd argue 90% of Delta flyers don't care about this at all, and will still fly on Delta due to status/price/routes. The 9% would take to other air carriers over this, and 1% are offended that Delta pulled advertising from this. Delta made a clear rational stance today that they don't want the 1% far left fringe flying on them, which is a good thing for the 99% of other flyers.

LJ

Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:15 am

BroadwayLimited wrote:
Bank of America pulled out also.

No they didn't. They inserted a comment that the view predicted in the play isn't the view of Bank of America and only withdrew their support for the play, not the theatre. This reponse is much better than the one from Delta. If you sponsor such a venue you should know what the risks are. Delta apparantly doesn't nor is able to handle this in a way that won't upset other people.

ltbewr wrote:
Sponsors have a proper right to withdraw sponsorships of entertainment events that have content as here that will upset customers instead of attracting them. With the current hyper-attention to bad and controversial service and treatment with passengers by airlines, the last they need is to support a production of a play that suggests the physical death of a sitting President. For sure they wouldn't have done it with President Obama or any other past President.

Yet why bother sponsoring then at all such events? You should know what you get into when you sponsor this kind iof events. Now it backfires onto you regardless what you do.

Anyway, the play will probably be a success thanks to Delta. One can only dream of this kind of free publicity.

BravoOne

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:29 am

Well one thing for sure is no one is likely to book a ticket on DL because of this, so the down side is minimal at best and upside is pretty darn good IMO. Tired of all the politics from the entertainment industry, as I don't find it entertaining no matter who's side you're aligned with.

b747400erf

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:32 am

BravoOne wrote:
Well one thing for sure is no one is likely to book a ticket on DL because of this, so the down side is minimal at best and upside is pretty darn good IMO. Tired of all the politics from the entertainment industry, as I don't find it entertaining no matter who's side you're aligned with.

Politics in a Shakespeare play?? Heavens forbid. DL can be the official snowflake airlines.

b747400erf

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:34 am

airzona11 wrote:
seat55a wrote:

Harming the likeness of the President of the United States is not a good look, regardless of who is in office. DL takes the highroad. Good for them.

There are politicians and celebrities on the right that have thrived after their attacks on the last President including some that called for him to hang on the white house lawn. Celebrities are only punished for their viewpoints if they attack conservatives. Not many Dixie Chicks concerts sell out these days.

smokeybandit

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:52 am

Portraying the killing of the president is not artistic license.

b747400erf

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:55 am

smokeybandit wrote:

Caesar got elected??

Dutchy

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:13 am

b747400erf wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:

Caesar got elected??

Complicated, but essentially yes :D

Francoflier

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:34 am

LJ wrote:
Yet why bother sponsoring then at all such events? You should know what you get into when you sponsor this kind iof events. Now it backfires onto you regardless what you do.

That's true... They were damned if they kept sponsoring, and damned if they stopped... I'd argue that the play has little audience outside of NY, and as such, they risked less by keeping the sponsorship than by pulling it, which attracted the attention of the press and made the play and its sponsors suddenly famous nation-wide...

EA CO AS wrote:
It's not good business to alienate half of your potential customers nation

It's gotta be less than half. A majority of Americans voted against Trump, and and even greater (and increasing) majority are not in favor of him now.
Not to mention that Trump's base is not the proportion of the population that patrons airlines the most...

But it's a fair point. It's good business practice to stay out of politics.

BravoOne

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am

b747400erf wrote:
airzona11 wrote:
seat55a wrote:

There are politicians and celebrities on the right that have thrived after their attacks on the last President including some that called for him to hang on the white house lawn. Celebrities are only punished for their viewpoints if they attack conservatives. Not many Dixie Chicks concerts sell out these days.

Got news for you...DL is the most politically correct airline in the world. Nothing from the PC crowd gets by them.

cvg2lga

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:44 am

It's only too bad that the play doesn't run longer. I won't have the time off to fly any airline but Delta to NYC and see it.

Tchau

DA-

BN727227Ultra

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:46 am

With a name like "The Public Theater", safe to assume that it's anything but. And since I'd not heard of it beforehand, also safe to assume that its audience is like-minded New Yorkers who plan their leisure time around getting their worldview reinforced. I seriously doubt that the theater gets a lot of capitalist tourist traffic. Therefore, also likely that it relies on grants from the New York state/city government.

I doubt that they'll miss Delta's (NYSE: DAL) bread crumbs, indeed, it'll be good for fundraising from fellow travelers (travelers not in the traditional sense.)

Mir

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:38 pm

BN727227Ultra wrote:
With a name like "The Public Theater", safe to assume that it's anything but.

Puts on free shows for the public during the summer. So the name is actually very apt.

johns624

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:08 pm

Note to those worrying about Delta being "New York's airline"---Sorry, the world (and Delta) does NOT revolve around NYC.

jfklganyc

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:12 pm

B of A pulled out as well.

The play is controversial in NY as well.

You assume we are all the same...but we are not.

Trump won 46 of 62 counties in New York. And in NYC he won 1 of 5 boroughs.

So to say all NYers are cool with this garbage is not true.

Been big (negative) headlines in NYC area for a week. Much like the Puerto Rican parade honoring a terrorist was. Sponsors are right to move away from controversy.

From B of A, " The Public Theater chose to present Julius Caesar in a way that was intended to provoke and offend. Had this intention been made known to us, we would have decided not to sponsor it. We are withdrawing our funding for this production."

BN727227Ultra

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:33 pm

Mir wrote:
BN727227Ultra wrote:
With a name like "The Public Theater", safe to assume that it's anything but.

Puts on free shows for the public during the summer. So the name is actually very apt.

Thank you. I don't mind being wrong as long as I learn.

ldvaviation

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:35 pm

b747400erf wrote:
BravoOne wrote:

Politics in a Shakespeare play?? Heavens forbid. DL can be the official snowflake airlines.

Delta should stop pretending it is an airline for elites in NY City and LA.

Moves like this show how little cultural capital Delta has.

N62NA

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:45 pm

BN727227Ultra wrote:
With a name like "The Public Theater", safe to assume that it's anything but. And since I'd not heard of it beforehand, also safe to assume that its audience is like-minded New Yorkers who plan their leisure time around getting their worldview reinforced. I seriously doubt that the theater gets a lot of capitalist tourist traffic. Therefore, also likely that it relies on grants from the New York state/city government.

I doubt that they'll miss Delta's (NYSE: DAL) bread crumbs, indeed, it'll be good for fundraising from fellow travelers (travelers not in the traditional sense.)

You are correct. They do receive public funding.

HeeseokKoo

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:58 pm

Mir wrote:
Obama was portrayed as Caesar a couple of times and nobody batted an eye.

Can you elaborate more? In my searches, an African-American played Caesar on the play you're referring but there's no mocking per say: no costume, no hair, no signature movement, etc. Didn't have time to read all the articles, but it's clear that a color blind wouldn't find Obama at the Play. The nytimes review article did not even mention Obama.

http://theactingcompany.org/plays/2016- ... ar-2010-11
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/ ... -of-march/
https://playoffthepage.com/2012/01/revi ... e-theater/
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/theat ... aesar.html

jetblastdubai

Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:02 pm

jakubz wrote:
a play which might be perceived as mocking/attacking Trump?

I case anyone was wondering if the play might be "perceived" as mocking/attacking Trump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qfzqBr1qh0

D L X

Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:05 pm

How is this aviation related?

usdcaguy

Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:51 pm

BN727227Ultra wrote:

All excellent points. It's mainly people outside of NYC who are complaining and who have not seen the show. Not all New Yorkers are alike, but then who is it that goes to these plays? That would only be those interested in the arts, and we know how little they would be offended at political satire. Delta supporting the play would therefore be a good way to for them to promote the brand to those attending the show, however discreet the promotion may be.

stlgph

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:01 pm

Mir wrote:

The 2012 production did not stir any echoes of President Obama, nor was it a presentation of the Public Theater.
This Delta association with the Public didn't even come until 2013.

And the Public for what it's worth does receive public monies but it is a very very lucrative cash cow.
A quick search of things like Here Lies Love, Joe's Pub, the revival of Hair and a little show called Hamilton gives one a lot of answers here.

airzona11

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:19 pm

b747400erf wrote:
airzona11 wrote:
seat55a wrote:

Haha ah yes, your unbiased aviation post talking about political bias. There was never a play where what you insinuated with Obama occurred. If there was and airline sponsored it, they should pull their sponsorship (the premise of this thread). Celebrities are entitled to their sponsorships. If they want DL or AA or WN or any airlines sponsorship money, they should avoid harming a likeness of the President of the United States. There is nothing controversial about that.

TVNWZ

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:29 pm

To make this about aviation: Would Caesar be a Boeing or Airbus kind of guy? Would the Romans bail out AZ? And would Shakespeare fly Virgin or BA? Questions demanding answers.

jakubz

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:34 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
To make this about aviation: Would Caesar be a Boeing or Airbus kind of guy? Would the Romans bail out AZ? And would Shakespeare fly Virgin or BA? Questions demanding answers.

I get a feeling that Caesar would have decimated the workforce once. The remaining employees would make sure AZ would never be in the position of needing a bailout.

ikramerica

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:41 pm

I'm not anti-trump but I don't see the issue. The scene is about Senators ganging up on someone they perceive as a potential tyrant, and stabbing him in the back. It is pretty apropos to the current events in the Senate, where the lack of evidence of wrongdoing seems to energize the Senators more to continue the knife attacks. One wonders if Pence will play the role of Brutus or Antony...

StuckinCMHland

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:43 pm

usdcaguy wrote:

Okay then,

Let's dial it back to 2013.

1. Would this theater company do this and make sure it was former President Obama being mocked?
2. Would the potential audience have such a positive reaction to it if it was Mr. Obama instead of Mr. Trump?
3. How many times were mainstream media outlets employing people with a bloody head of President Obama on social media?
4. How many times were plays and books written postulating the killing of former President Bush, and current president Trump as opposed to former president Obama?

The simple point of the matter is that certain parts of society have such hatred for the current president and party in power they feel they can say and do everything and anything they want, including killing the President. The opposition to the former President did not say or do such things. In time there is going to be backlash for such obscene behavior. I'm not a fan of President Trump or former President Obama, but I am still an American and I'm really tired of seeing my country's legitimately elected president being trashed in such a terrible manner.

Good on you Delta.

RDUDDJI

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:03 pm

I'm anti-Trump, but I commend DL's move. IMO as an investor, businesses have no business getting into politics, it only alienates/divides people (read: customers). Not to mention all the money they throw into politics. If this theater, or any other business, wants to engage in politics in an outrageous way, it must do so knowing that it will piss off some people or sponsors and there may be consequences. In this case, I suspect it was a ploy to get free press, and in that respect it worked.

tavong

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:20 pm

D L X wrote:

Completely agreed Only causa an Airlines is involved doesn´t neccesarily mean that is aviation related.

Gus
SKBO

TheF15Ace

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:16 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
Would the Romans bail out AZ?

alfa164

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:02 pm

Mir wrote:
For an airline that wants to compete in the NYC market, this is not a good look. This is not the first time a sitting president has been portrayed in Julius Caesar, why the outrage now? Obama was portrayed as Caesar a couple of times and nobody batted an eye. Perhaps those who want the sponsors to pull out should read the play and try to understand the context around it (a bit of a spoiler alert: Caesar is not the villain in the play). I thought Delta was better than reacting to the basest instincts of FoxNews. Apparently I was wrong. Shame on them.

:checkmark:

usdcaguy wrote:
BN727227Ultra wrote:

All excellent points. It's mainly people outside of NYC who are complaining and who have not seen the show. Not all New Yorkers are alike, but then who is it that goes to these plays? That would only be those interested in the arts, and we know how little they would be offended at political satire. Delta supporting the play would therefore be a good way to for them to promote the brand to those attending the show, however discreet the promotion may be.

Unfortunately, the unwashed masses probably heard some one-sided news report about a play "killing" Trump... and the lemmings began their organized letter-writing campaign. Remember the (manufactured) stunk about the Delta-Saudia "relationship" in SkyTeam?

Unfortunately, DL got cold feet quickly on this one. Now they will get a reputation for being easy patsies whenever a controversy erupts.

BobPatterson

Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:28 pm

D L X wrote:

Airline advertising and public relations efforts are always "aviation related". What else might they be related to?

Delta's sponsorship spat with Fox Theatre in Atlanta was also "aviation related".

All airlines should be concerned about their public image.

StuckinCMHland

Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:53 pm

alfa164 wrote:
Mir wrote:
For an airline that wants to compete in the NYC market, this is not a good look. This is not the first time a sitting president has been portrayed in Julius Caesar, why the outrage now? Obama was portrayed as Caesar a couple of times and nobody batted an eye. Perhaps those who want the sponsors to pull out should read the play and try to understand the context around it (a bit of a spoiler alert: Caesar is not the villain in the play). I thought Delta was better than reacting to the basest instincts of FoxNews. Apparently I was wrong. Shame on them.

usdcaguy wrote:
BN727227Ultra wrote:

Unfortunately, the unwashed masses probably heard some one-sided news report about a play "killing" Trump... and the lemmings began their organized letter-writing campaign. Remember the (manufactured) stunk about the Delta-Saudia "relationship" in SkyTeam?

Unfortunately, DL got cold feet quickly on this one. Now they will get a reputation for being easy patsies whenever a controversy erupts.

Sir, have you seen any part of this production? Have you seen playing Ceaser with black suit, red tie and blond wig? Or coming out for bows after the performance with a woman trying wear dresses like the First Lady wears?

To call people who object to it as 'Lemmings' is a self-indictment of your attitude toward people who disagree with you politically, when the behavior of the actors/producers of the play are obscene and should be questioned and defunded.

alfa164

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:35 pm

StuckinCMHland wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
Mir wrote:

usdcaguy wrote:

Sir, have you seen any part of this production? Have you seen playing Ceaser with black suit, red tie and blond wig? Or coming out for bows after the performance with a woman trying wear dresses like the First Lady wears?
To call people who object to it as 'Lemmings' is a self-indictment of your attitude toward people who disagree with you politically, when the behavior of the actors/producers of the play are obscene and should be questioned and defunded.

Have you even seen the play? Or is your vision of "obscene" determined by what you hear from some media channel with an ax to grind?

Unless you have seen it and understand (a concept not natural to many of the Mutant Cheeto's voters) it, your position as a "lemming" hereby noted.

seat55a

Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:07 am

Nice capsule history of controversies provoked by this play (including John Wilkes Booth, and the Guthrie theatre Obama-ish version) in the NYT
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/12/thea ... trump.html

It was pretty clearly intended to be provocative to start with.

DL should brush up their shakespeare before agreeing to support anything - they probably thought it was just bread and circuses...forgetting what actually happened in the Roman circus.

DLFREEBIRD

Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:07 am

coolian2 wrote:
I'm pretty sure Julius Caesar was written in like 1599 by William Shakespeare?

yeah, they do this play all the time, last time they did it Julius Caesar looked like Obama.

nobody got upset, and conservatives outlets loved the play and DL sponsored that play as well.
there will probably be a backlash. seems DL can't do anything right lately.