Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

brentclark2003
Topic Author

About operating drone in Florida US

Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:04 pm

Hello, I am from London going to have a 10-day trip at Florida in August. But the thing I want to ask is: I got a DJI Phantom 4 Advanced and I want to bring it in the next trip in order can capture some footage for entertainment. But I don't know if I must have a registration or not because I am just traveller. And if it do, how much time it takes to complete the process? I would be very appreciate if anyone can help me with this, thank you very much!

ChrisKen

Re: About operating drone in Florida US

Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:35 pm

Probably best to leave it at home (FL's drone/privacy laws are far too vague/draconian) but yes you have to register (and jump through their hoops).
https://www.faa.gov/uas/faqs/
http://www.dronethusiast.com/drone-laws-florida/

edit: Further down (faa)
."I'm a foreign national and want to fly my UAS in the U.S. on vacation. Do I have to register before flying?
If you are a foreign national and you are not eligible to register your sUAS in the United States there are two ways for you to operate. If you want to operate your UAS exclusively as model aircraft you must complete the steps in the web-based registration process and obtain a "recognition of ownership." This recognition of ownership is required by the Department of Transportation to operate a model aircraft in the United States. Alternatively, if you want to operate your UAS as a non-model aircraft you must register your UAS in the country in which you are eligible to register and obtain operating authority from the Department of Transportation."

BobPatterson

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:17 pm

brentclark2003 wrote:
[using a drone] in order can capture some footage for entertainment.

May I ask "what kind of entertainment?"

I should declare my bias against civilian (non-governmental) use of drones in American air space.

They can play a valuable roll in search and rescue work.

I can see the sense of using them in very remote areas to aid in resource exploration, under extremely strict rules.

The idea of Amazon (or anyone) using drones to deliver packages is frivolous and fraught with danger.

There should be no general hobbyist or commercial use of drones in areas populated by humans.

Just my opinion.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

brentclark2003
Topic Author

Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:38 pm

Thank you for your informative comments. I really want to bring that drone go with me. The footage is just familly memories for my daughters because they like it.
There are some thing more i want to ask
After 1 week of researching, i found this article http://gearupz.com/best-drone-cameras/# ... uying_Tips. it seems like a affliate site. And then i connected to the webmaster and asked them the same question as this topic, then they suggested me to register my drone under their link in that article, but I noticed that's not faa website. So can I trust them or not because they said it will be faster to submit my registration?

ChrisKen

Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:56 pm

The FAA warn against using 3rd party registration sites.
I would do the same. Use the official channels or leave it at home.

The site you reference doesn't have much of a reputation (because it's very new :redflag:) either way on the scams lists but there are plenty of them about.

Question: How registering through the third party be faster than going direct to where they supposedly will register you too? :redflag:

yeelep

Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:45 am

The FAA rule requiring registration of hobby drones was struck down on May 19th by a federal appeals court.

brentclark2003
Topic Author

Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:51 pm

I appreciated your recommendations. Yesterday I registerd my drone directly with FAA official website. It has some problems but generally everything will be okay with my next trip!

skywaymanaz

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:44 am

Don't forget to check for Temporary Flight Restrictions, they apply to drones too. If Trump is within 30 nautical miles of your location you can't fly your drone. tfr.faa.gov has updated restrictions. Here in Arizona we recently had two people fly their drones over wildfires in airspace restricted for firefighting aircraft. All water bombing/fire retardant flights were halted for hours. One of them was caught and sounds like they're trying real hard to make an example out of him.

vansoto1

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:17 am

Everyone can fly a drone but rules and regulations should be follow. Absence of these rules can cause to serious consequences. I read an article and get the tips that I find very useful. http://3dinsider.com/drone-safety/ FAA guidelines should be mandatory.