Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aaden
Topic Author

Got a promotion but have not received a contract. How do I proceed?

Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:02 pm

Long story but I was promoted but do not have a new contract, what action can I take?

I recently took a position as an assistant principal at an independent non-union school. My boss gave notice 30 days after my arrival. The school board voted to give me her position.
This fact has been announced and I have been acting in the role of principal for over 30 days.

As of Friday I still have not gotten a new contract. This has begun to bother me as now two pay periods have gone by and I am still being paid my previous rate.

Even more concerning I feel due to the personalities involved in the school and on the board there may be an attempt at a reorganization over the break which would leave me in a difficult spot.

I relocated a good distance for this opportunity. So not having a commitment made to me when I have made one to them is a problem for me.

I have spoken to the president of the board about my contract. As of Friday she is having difficulty getting responses about the matter in order to proceed. Knowing they can settle someone else's new agreement but not mind just adds to my concern.

My previous contract has a 90 day termination clubs on both sides. Is my previous contract void considering they have vastly changed my job duties and role? If I need to protect myself from these guys professionally and leave, do I have grounds to terminate my contract and leave without giving 90 days notice? From my view, the situation has vastly changed. This is not what I signed up for. The inability the settle my contract and compensate me appropriately when they can do so for other employees has me really nervous.

Am I overreacting to this issue?

Any advice or insight on how to approach the matter would be appreciated.

phatfarmlines

Re: Got a promotion but have not received a contract. How do I proceed?

Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:59 pm

aaden wrote:
Even more concerning I feel due to the personalities involved in the school and on the board there may be an attempt at a reorganization over the break which would leave me in a difficult spot.

This. Without a formal contract that defines your role as well as expected timeframe in the role, I'm afraid you are merely a pawn to the school board who can still execute a reorganization. Given your position, I'd recommend hiring an HR lawyer to provide additional advice on what recourse you may have.

BobPatterson

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:54 pm

aaden wrote:

Almost certainly.

aaden wrote:

Yes. First, demonstrate that you are a valuable employee worthy of rapid advancement. You have not yet been on board long enough to prove to anyone that you are a capable assistant principal.

Why should you be entrusted with a higher-level position when your first thoughts are about jumping ship?

Perhaps you should be thinking of serving your students, staff, school board and community, and not so much about me, me, me.

If you demonstrate that you are worth having, the rewards will come.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

Kiwirob

Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:28 pm

Just man up ask for it! It's not hard to do, otherwise continue as a doormat.

Flighty

Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:15 pm

I think you have good cause for concern. The school board has voted to employ you as principal.

With gratitude for their vote, as a "normal order of business," you should now submit contract language for the board's signature. To serve without any contract may open THEM to unlimited employment liability. It is in THEIR interest to have you under a typical contract appropriate for your position. Don't get greedy or clever about it. Keep it as short and sweet as you can, and make sure you are cheaper than the person you are replacing. The board will be impressed if you get it done as soon as possible.

11725Flyer

Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:18 pm

In the district where I teach, only one-year contracts are issued. There used to be tenure granted after three years, and those that have been around awhile are grandfathered.

So, we're now mostly a meritocracy.

jetwet1

Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:28 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Just man up ask for it! It's not hard to do, otherwise continue as a doormat.

Pretty much sums it up.

We had a similar thing happen at one of our properties, reviews start in January, normally raises are given in March, back dated to Jan 1st, well at this property the dept head left for another property the 1 st week of March, HR dropped the paperwork for the supervisors off on his desk in the middle of a move, the movers packed the paperwork, and off it went to his new property.

The new dept head came in from another property the the poor guy had no idea the raises hadn't been signed off on. It took until the last week of July for someone to say something.

Simply put, paperwork can be put down and lost, if you don't speak up you will get nowhere and honestly, there are school districts all over this country screaming out for Principle qualified people, yes it may mean moving again, but personally I would prefer to know where I stand rather than living in limbo.

Freakysh

Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:58 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
aaden wrote:

Almost certainly.

aaden wrote:

Yes. First, demonstrate that you are a valuable employee worthy of rapid advancement. You have not yet been on board long enough to prove to anyone that you are a capable assistant principal.

Why should you be entrusted with a higher-level position when your first thoughts are about jumping ship?

Perhaps you should be thinking of serving your students, staff, school board and community, and not so much about me, me, me.

If you demonstrate that you are worth having, the rewards will come.

Not sure which post you read :?

The school appointed him to the higher position so should pay him accordingly. What does he have to demonstrate? He already has done that hence the promotion.

DLFREEBIRD

Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:24 am

While i can understand your concern about not yet having a signed contract. You were verbally offered the job, and you've been doing the job for a month, so your commitment implied. Sounds like red tape to me. Your pay will be retroactive. Being new at the school, perhaps some teachers do not like the fact they picked a outsider as vice-principle and that they were passed over. I'm sure some teachers were upset. However, i wouldn't be too concerned. Just keep the pressure on, to get that contract signed. i highly doubt ANYBODY wants to find another vice-principle since the school year already started.