Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
CH47A
Topic Author
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:06 pm

U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:52 am

I am actually asking, even though I did not place a question mark in the topic line.

What do you think the United States response should be to this act by the DPRK?
 
User avatar
maortega15
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:52 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:27 am

A few threads down from this one, the same "Fire and Fury" rhetoric.
 
CH47A
Topic Author
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:37 am

maortega15 wrote:
A few threads down from this one, the same "Fire and Fury" rhetoric.


I apologize, but this is a much more serious act by the government of the DPRK than any previous act this year.

Firing a missile directly over Japan and at the rather low altitude they flew it at is a new provocation that falls far outside any previous missile launch in recent times.

Quite frankly, the Japanese could respond on their own and the world would have no reason to condemn them. And the Japanese do have military assets sufficient to engage with the DPRK, if the matter came to that.

No, this matter is way beyond what is being discussed in that other thread.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 8009
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:43 am

North Korea: Our glorious missile brought daylight to the dark skies of Japan. Kim Jong Fatass ftw!
UN: We are angry.
Trump: Obama and Clinton sux!

The world spins on.
 
CH47A
Topic Author
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:47 am

TWA772LR wrote:
North Korea: Our glorious missile brought daylight to the dark skies of Japan. Kim Jong Fatass ftw!
UN: We are angry.
Trump: Obama and Clinton sux!

The world spins on.


Do you view this act as a direct threat to the peace and security of Japan?

We have treaty obligations with Japan regarding their peace and security.

Is anybody advocating that we ignore our treaty obligations with Japan?
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 8009
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:52 am

CH47A wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
North Korea: Our glorious missile brought daylight to the dark skies of Japan. Kim Jong Fatass ftw!
UN: We are angry.
Trump: Obama and Clinton sux!

The world spins on.


Do you view this act as a direct threat to the peace and security of Japan?

We have treaty obligations with Japan regarding their peace and security.

Is anybody advocating that we ignore our treaty obligations with Japan?

They did the same in 2009. And in 2012(?) NK actually shelled (live ammunition and all) Yeonpyeong Island in SK, and both exchanged fire for a few hours, and soldiers on both sides died. And the US and the world still did nothing...
 
CH47A
Topic Author
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:59 am

Well, it has been a very long time since the citizens of Japan were driven into basements and other areas below ground by an alert of a threat from the air, AND the Abe government is already on weak political underpinnings, so I think we have to consider the very real possibility that Prime Minister Abe is going to want more than just talk this time. And I suspect the citizens of Japan are going to view the matter as serious enough for the United States to do something a little more than the usual yak-yak-yak.
 
Freakysh
Posts: 502
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:49 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:00 am

TWA772LR wrote:
CH47A wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
North Korea: Our glorious missile brought daylight to the dark skies of Japan. Kim Jong Fatass ftw!
UN: We are angry.
Trump: Obama and Clinton sux!

The world spins on.


Do you view this act as a direct threat to the peace and security of Japan?

We have treaty obligations with Japan regarding their peace and security.

Is anybody advocating that we ignore our treaty obligations with Japan?

They did the same in 2009. And in 2012(?) NK actually shelled (live ammunition and all) Yeonpyeong Island in SK, and both exchanged fire for a few hours, and soldiers on both sides died. And the US and the world still did nothing...


Why can't Japan and south Korea deal with it? why does the US have to get involved?
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 8009
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:03 am

Freakysh wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
CH47A wrote:

Do you view this act as a direct threat to the peace and security of Japan?

We have treaty obligations with Japan regarding their peace and security.

Is anybody advocating that we ignore our treaty obligations with Japan?

They did the same in 2009. And in 2012(?) NK actually shelled (live ammunition and all) Yeonpyeong Island in SK, and both exchanged fire for a few hours, and soldiers on both sides died. And the US and the world still did nothing...


Why can't Japan and south Korea deal with it? why does the US have to get involved?

I'm not saying we do, I'm just illustrating that more serious and precedents incidents have occurred and absolutely nothing of value has happened as a result of them for the OP.
 
CH47A
Topic Author
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:06 am

Do you really want the nation of Japan to start a serious rearmament program so they can then deal with the matter in a way that many may feel the matter deserves?

A missile designed to carry a nuclear warhead was fired over Japanese airspace and you think that talk is enough?

If such a missile were flown over Alaska, would talk be enough?
 
CH47A
Topic Author
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:15 am

As far as the example brought up about that exchange of artillery fire on the DMZ (waters off the main peninsula) I do not think the citizens of Japan are interested in that issue. Yes, it was serious for the ROK and no military action by the United States resulted.

As for the examples of earlier missile flights near, or over, Japanese airspace, they cannot be viewed as more serious than this case.

This case is in a class of its own.

If you can't understand that, then you need to study world history and what has caused armed conflict in past cases of trouble between nations.

In addition, the United Sates has treaty obligations and this case can be viewed as a direct threat to the citizens of Japan. You better take that seriously, otherwise you open the door for a new Japan in a very near future.
 
salttee
Posts: 3149
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:26 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:17 am

CH47A wrote:
Do you really want the nation of Japan to start a serious rearmament program so they can then deal with the matter in a way that many may feel the matter deserves?

A missile designed to carry a nuclear warhead was fired over Japanese airspace and you think that talk is enough?

If such a missile were flown over Alaska, would talk be enough?

Would you please outline your idea for how we should act?

Also please give it some detail so we know that you're not a wishy washy guy just throwing out strawmen.

Enough beating around the bush!
 
CH47A
Topic Author
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:18 am

salttee wrote:
CH47A wrote:
Do you really want the nation of Japan to start a serious rearmament program so they can then deal with the matter in a way that many may feel the matter deserves?

A missile designed to carry a nuclear warhead was fired over Japanese airspace and you think that talk is enough?

If such a missile were flown over Alaska, would talk be enough?

Would you please outline your idea for how we should act?

Also please give it some detail so we know that you're not a wishy washy guy just throwing out strawmen.

Enough beating around the bush!


The movement of military assets into the area in a very visible manner is not a wishy-washy statement to the world. It is also a necessity if one is considering military options because of a threat to an ally.

Japan is viewed as an ally, yes?
 
User avatar
moo
Posts: 5117
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 2:27 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:34 am

CH47A wrote:
Do you really want the nation of Japan to start a serious rearmament program so they can then deal with the matter in a way that many may feel the matter deserves?


You do realise that Japan has already started a rearming program, right? And its moved twice in recent years to fundamentally change Article 9 of its constitution (the article which limits its military to a very restricted self defence force) firstly to allow "collective self defence" and more recently to basically eliminate the restrictions altogether (this one is ongoing).

Japan is definitely moving to reposition itself as a serious player on the military world stage - this move by North Korea won't affect that, its been in the pipeline for years.
 
CH47A
Topic Author
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:45 am

Yes, I am very much aware of the change on collective defense that Prime Minister Abe had enacted and the only reason the second set of changes hasn't yet happened is because his political situation has been not so hot recently and this act by the DPRK could be just what is needed to see that second set you cite be enacted.

But, quite frankly, I am also very concerned with how we are viewed by the world regarding our treaty obligations.

We were doing some rather serious yakking about just a verbal threat to our territory, Guam, but here is a situation that is way beyond words.

We are trying to forge new alliances with nations around the world and how we respond to this can be rather important, I think.

Am I wrong in thinking that?
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 8009
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:50 am

CH47A wrote:
salttee wrote:
CH47A wrote:
Do you really want the nation of Japan to start a serious rearmament program so they can then deal with the matter in a way that many may feel the matter deserves?

A missile designed to carry a nuclear warhead was fired over Japanese airspace and you think that talk is enough?

If such a missile were flown over Alaska, would talk be enough?

Would you please outline your idea for how we should act?

Also please give it some detail so we know that you're not a wishy washy guy just throwing out strawmen.

Enough beating around the bush!


The movement of military assets into the area in a very visible manner is not a wishy-washy statement to the world. It is also a necessity if one is considering military options because of a threat to an ally.

Japan is viewed as an ally, yes?

So are you calling for a US-led invasion? Stealth bomber and Tomahawk raids? A first-strike nuclear attack?

There's a difference of what has happened and what you want to happen in regard to North Korea. I have presented cases (one identical to this, and another involving loss of life in armed exchange) and you write me off as ignorant to world history and not caring of US allies. What exactly is your point?

Your attack on me upthread was very uncalled for and will be reported.
 
CH47A
Topic Author
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:03 am

TWA772LR wrote:
CH47A wrote:
salttee wrote:
Would you please outline your idea for how we should act?

Also please give it some detail so we know that you're not a wishy washy guy just throwing out strawmen.

Enough beating around the bush!


The movement of military assets into the area in a very visible manner is not a wishy-washy statement to the world. It is also a necessity if one is considering military options because of a threat to an ally.

Japan is viewed as an ally, yes?

So are you calling for a US-led invasion? Stealth bomber and Tomahawk raids? A first-strike nuclear attack?

There's a difference of what has happened and what you want to happen in regard to North Korea. I have presented cases (one identical to this, and another involving loss of life in armed exchange) and you write me off as ignorant to world history and not caring of US allies. What exactly is your point?

Your attack on me upthread was very uncalled for and will be reported.


I am slightly confused from the quote box what you view as an attack upon you, but if you happen to be referring to post number five or number seven, ... well, then I would be even more confused.

In addition, I only advocated the moving of military assets in a very visible manner, as opposed to doing that secretly. Nothing else has been advocated by me in this thread so far.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 20764
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:06 am

I'm sure Trump will tweet shortly - something to the effect "Un is a really bad dude." After he gets off the golf course!
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 15344
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:45 am

Moving military assets openly ( "exercises" of the US navy with the ROK navy) is exactly what caused this missile launch to begin with, according to North Korea.
 
johns624
Posts: 5177
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:02 pm

We have to back Japan. We don't have to do anything unilaterally. Japan has the resources to shoot down missiles. Let them make the first move.
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 11268
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:14 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
They did the same in 2009. And in 2012(?) NK actually shelled (live ammunition and all) Yeonpyeong Island in SK, and both exchanged fire for a few hours, and soldiers on both sides died. And the US and the world still did nothing...

Let's add to this, they also sank a Corvette a couple years ago, which was much more serious than a missile over flight, and no one did anything, so why exactly do people think NK does not have the right to do what they want to do when they want to do it. To be sarcastic, they have more chance of being punished if they open up an off shore tax haven for wealthy Westerners to hide their wealth from the tax man.
Not saying wkik is the best source, but when you look back at the list of incidents, one get's an appreciation of the reach of social media and the illusion it creates that this is just something that just started since the younger son took over, the war never really ended.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... orth_Korea
 
User avatar
SAS A340
Posts: 938
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 5:59 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:44 pm

Japan has previously said that they would shoot down any missile if they came in over japan, so I'm most surprised that it did not happen...... should be a concern to US regarding NK threats to Hawaii since that missile probably will have to take the path over Japan?
 
User avatar
Mortyman
Posts: 6140
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:26 pm

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:28 pm

CH47A wrote:

We are trying to forge new alliances with nations around the world and how we respond to this can be rather important, I think.

Am I wrong in thinking that?



How the US responds to this is indeed important and no, there is no millitary solution to this problem. Just like there is no millitary solution for Afghanistan ...

The fact that the US and certain allies in the region have millitary exercises in the region in adittion to President Trump's recent retoric does not help and is only fuel to fire.
 
CH47A
Topic Author
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:07 pm

Does anyone here view this unannounced flight of a missile into the Pacific area as any sort of a safety hazard to flights crossing the Pacific? My understanding is that it broke up into at least three large pieces when it came down and I suspect if any of those pieces had struck an aircraft, it could have posed quite a problem for those in the aircraft. Thoughts on that, anyone?
 
salttee
Posts: 3149
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:26 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:21 pm

CH47A wrote:
Does anyone here view this unannounced flight of a missile into the Pacific area as any sort of a safety hazard to flights crossing the Pacific? My understanding is that it broke up into at least three large pieces when it came down and I suspect if any of those pieces had struck an aircraft, it could have posed quite a problem for those in the aircraft. Thoughts on that, anyone?

You sound like chicken little: you have no plan of your own.
Maybe you should put the drum down and play with some of your other toys.
 
CH47A
Topic Author
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:37 pm

salttee wrote:
CH47A wrote:
Does anyone here view this unannounced flight of a missile into the Pacific area as any sort of a safety hazard to flights crossing the Pacific? My understanding is that it broke up into at least three large pieces when it came down and I suspect if any of those pieces had struck an aircraft, it could have posed quite a problem for those in the aircraft. Thoughts on that, anyone?

You sound like chicken little: you have no plan of your own.
Maybe you should put the drum down and play with some of your other toys.


So there are no internationally agreed upon rules relating to a situation like this?

My question is so far out in left field I am completely out of the game, right?

Nations just shoot ballistic missiles all over the place without any announcements and it is absolutely of no concern to any pilot or passenger on any aircraft?

Okay, thank you. I wasn't aware of that. I had the strange notion that something like what that country did was against some rules of conduct related to the safety of the millions of people that fly in airliners every year. Sorry.
 
wingman
Posts: 4299
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 4:25 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:28 pm

I hope Wenis Little doesn't confuse Asians like he confuses blondes and rains down fire and fury on Japan by mistake.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8786
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:57 pm

CH47A wrote:
Does anyone here view this unannounced flight of a missile into the Pacific area as any sort of a safety hazard to flights crossing the Pacific? My understanding is that it broke up into at least three large pieces when it came down and I suspect if any of those pieces had struck an aircraft, it could have posed quite a problem for those in the aircraft. Thoughts on that, anyone?

What is your plan to deal with this?

Do you want the US to invade? What are the consequences of doing so (short term and long term)? Is there any downside?

Do you want the US to set a bomb there as a warning? Again, what are the pros and cons?

When DPRK shoots missiles, countries all over take heed. But aside from sanctions and getting China to enforce them as well, there's no further action that can be taken...and if there is, why hasn't Trump picked you to lead his Pacific strategy?
 
bhill
Posts: 1898
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2001 8:28 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:10 pm

Time to star using the THAAD and AEGIS systems that we paid for. Shoot the fuckers down! What is NK going to do? And this will render his love for missiles moot.
 
salttee
Posts: 3149
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:26 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:11 pm

bhill wrote:
Time to star using the THAAD and AEGIS systems that we paid for. Shoot the fuckers down! What is NK going to do? And this will render his love for missiles moot.

That's a losing game. Trading a very expensive ABM missiles for Kim's pieces of junk would be a bad trade. And if there were to be a THAAD a failure, Fox news would be all over that.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8786
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:17 pm

salttee wrote:
And if there is THAAD a failure, Fox news would be all over that.

But this is Trump (a Republican), so naturally, they'll either:
1. Ignore it
2. Say that it was intentional
3. Point to Obama and his radical sequestration for not updating the system.
 
johns624
Posts: 5177
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:30 pm

salttee wrote:
bhill wrote:
Time to star using the THAAD and AEGIS systems that we paid for. Shoot the fuckers down! What is NK going to do? And this will render his love for missiles moot.

That's a losing game. Trading a very expensive ABM missiles for Kim's pieces of junk would be a bad trade. And if there were to be a THAAD a failure, Fox news would be all over that.
It would be worthwhile because it would show the Norks that their missiles aren't invulnerable.
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 22309
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:35 pm

The first thing that has to happen is that *extensive* ascent-stage anti-missile defenses need to be placed in as many places around the Korean Peninsula as possible. That way, if they do have a go at it, we can just slap it out of the air before it gets very high at all.

It's going to take a lot of intelligence, though. You don't want to go blowing every dummy missile out of the sky because the North Koreans will then get a very good look at how these defense systems work and that will give them a better idea of how to thwart them. You need to use the intelligence you have at hand to ensure that the one you knock out of the sky is actually carrying a warhead.

But if Mr. Kim is so stupid as to shoot first with a nuke, it will put China in a very awkward position of having to defend their neutrality or even defense of DPRK when that nation just used the first nuclear weapon in anger since Nagasaki.

Moreover, let us not forget that the existence of DPRK is a stragetic boon to the USA. Suppose, for the sake of argument, that Mr. Kim and his government suddenly fall on their swords tomorrow and vanish without shedding a drop of anyone else's blood. North and South Koreans tearfully reunite and the North lunges into a Democratic form of government and adopts free market economics (I know, I know, just humor me).

OK, then why is the U.S. in S. Korea anymore? Do you see the problem that would present? The Chinese would certainly have a valid question or two about that if they were to ask it. So in that sense, the DPRK presents a nice little bogeyman that serves to justify American presence in that part of the world.
 
AeroVega
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:32 pm

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:37 pm

DocLightning wrote:
You don't want to go blowing every dummy missile out of the sky because the North Koreans Chinese will then get a very good look at how these defense systems work and that will give them a better idea of how to thwart them.


Fixed that for you.
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 22309
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:09 pm

AeroVega wrote:

Fixed that for you.


I'd be shocked and disappointed if the Chinese intelligence services hadn't already figured that one out.
Last edited by DocLightning on Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 12944
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:09 pm

CH47A wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
North Korea: Our glorious missile brought daylight to the dark skies of Japan. Kim Jong Fatass ftw!
UN: We are angry.
Trump: Obama and Clinton sux!

The world spins on.


Do you view this act as a direct threat to the peace and security of Japan?

We have treaty obligations with Japan regarding their peace and security.

Is anybody advocating that we ignore our treaty obligations with Japan?


What exactly did the DPRK wrong? They flew a missile 550km above Japan, that is space, 100km above the ground is where space begins. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A1rm%C3%A1n_line

Sure it is a provocation, sure it is in violation of a number of UN resolutions, but so does Israel ever since resolution 242 ever since 1967. But I don't see this anything different than what they did before. Don't overreact.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 12944
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:12 pm

johns624 wrote:
salttee wrote:
bhill wrote:
Time to star using the THAAD and AEGIS systems that we paid for. Shoot the fuckers down! What is NK going to do? And this will render his love for missiles moot.

That's a losing game. Trading a very expensive ABM missiles for Kim's pieces of junk would be a bad trade. And if there were to be a THAAD a failure, Fox news would be all over that.
It would be worthwhile because it would show the Norks that their missiles aren't invulnerable.


It is quite hard to knock a missile out of the sky (or space actually) in its "cruise" phase, you might be able to do it just after launch or in its terminal phase. But even then it is extremely hard.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8786
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:23 pm

DocLightning wrote:
But if Mr. Kim is so stupid as to shoot first with a nuke, it will put China in a very awkward position of having to defend their neutrality or even defense of DPRK when that nation just used the first nuclear weapon in anger since Nagasaki.

China already stated that DPRK attacks first, it will not assist. But if it's the US who strikes first, it WILL.

Nice way to keep the status quo for now.
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 4456
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:41 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
But if Mr. Kim is so stupid as to shoot first with a nuke, it will put China in a very awkward position of having to defend their neutrality or even defense of DPRK when that nation just used the first nuclear weapon in anger since Nagasaki.

China already stated that DPRK attacks first, it will not assist. But if it's the US who strikes first, it WILL.

Nice way to keep the status quo for now.


And it's why L'il Kim will never launch a pre-emptive first strike. Because if his one and only ally sits idly by while the US, SK and Japan rain destruction down on the North, then he knows it's game over for his little fiefdom
 
Ken777
Posts: 10224
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:39 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:57 pm

I believe in shooting down all missiles aimed towards Japan, regardless of its ability to actually reach or fly over Japan. That is going to take naval resources from the US and Japan, plus the SEATO countries that have the ability to engage. Australia might be the only country with that ability.

This is yet another reason to stop wet dreams about tax cuts. Missiles are not cheap and we will probably need a lot over the next decade - as well as additional war ships that can detect the NK missiles and shoot them down.

In terms of expanding military activity I believe that NK will react to their missiles being killed by shooting at one of our ships. That basically means that DDGs sail in small groups to ensure the aggressor is killed. Of drones flying g over our ships 24/7 with precision weapons ready.
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 11268
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:03 pm

NK sunk a South Corvette with lives lost and the world did nothing, so why the uproar over a missile in space landing in the ocean near Japan?
Fake News??????
 
Ken777
Posts: 10224
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:39 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:23 pm

par13del wrote:
NK sunk a South Corvette with lives lost and the world did nothing, so why the uproar over a missile in space landing in the ocean near Japan?
Fake News??????


Or Fake President???????
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3416
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:52 pm

Ken777 wrote:
I believe in shooting down all missiles aimed towards Japan, regardless of its ability to actually reach or fly over Japan. That is going to take naval resources from the US and Japan, plus the SEATO countries that have the ability to engage. Australia might be the only country with that ability.

This is yet another reason to stop wet dreams about tax cuts. Missiles are not cheap and we will probably need a lot over the next decade - as well as additional war ships that can detect the NK missiles and shoot them down.

In terms of expanding military activity I believe that NK will react to their missiles being killed by shooting at one of our ships. That basically means that DDGs sail in small groups to ensure the aggressor is killed. Of drones flying g over our ships 24/7 with precision weapons ready.

Pssst: SEATO was dissolved 40 years ago.
 
L410Turbolet
Posts: 6389
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 9:12 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:05 pm

Dutchy wrote:
What exactly did the DPRK wrong? They flew a missile 550km above Japan, that is space, 100km above the ground is where space begins.


You are not THAT naive, are you?
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 12944
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:08 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
What exactly did the DPRK wrong? They flew a missile 550km above Japan, that is space, 100km above the ground is where space begins.


You are not THAT naive, are you?


What do you mean?
 
salttee
Posts: 3149
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:26 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:11 am

Dutchy wrote:
L410Turbolet wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
What exactly did the DPRK wrong? They flew a missile 550km above Japan, that is space, 100km above the ground is where space begins.


You are not THAT naive, are you?


What do you mean?
I guess he is.
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 22309
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:42 am

The Japanese are a bit...gun shy about nuclear weapons being flown across their territory.

For...reasons.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 8009
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:18 am

SAS A340 wrote:
Japan has previously said that they would shoot down any missile if they came in over japan, so I'm most surprised that it did not happen...... should be a concern to US regarding NK threats to Hawaii since that missile probably will have to take the path over Japan?

Looks like Japanese foreign policy just got egg on its face.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 8009
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:31 am

Mortyman wrote:

How the US responds to this is indeed important and no, there is no millitary solution to this problem. Just like there is no millitary solution for Afghanistan ...


The ONLY solution for Afghanistan is a decisive, armed civil uprising to establish and effective government. Let's have Trump persuade Putin take over the job, the Russians are better instigators than the US.
CH47A wrote:
So there are no internationally agreed upon rules relating to a situation like this?

My question is so far out in left field I am completely out of the game, right?

Nations just shoot ballistic missiles all over the place without any announcements and it is absolutely of no concern to any pilot or passenger on any aircraft?

Okay, thank you. I wasn't aware of that. I had the strange notion that something like what that country did was against some rules of conduct related to the safety of the millions of people that fly in airliners every year. Sorry.

You can have all the rules you want, but they are only as effective as the enforcement that is carried out.

Ummmmm, North Korea concerning for any human being currently, previously, or will be in existence besides the descendents of Kim il-Sung? Fat chance dude...

DocLightning wrote:
It's going to take a lot of intelligence, though. You don't want to go blowing every dummy missile out of the sky because the North Koreans will then get a very good look at how these defense systems work and that will give them a better idea of how to thwart them. You need to use the intelligence you have at hand to ensure that the one you knock out of the sky is actually carrying a warhead.

With Trump being a Republican president (and therefore a Reaganaut), he can just dust off the SDI plans for an orbital missile platform, except just make it interceptors (or rod-of-Gods) instead of nukes and put it in geosynchronous orbit over Pyongyang.
 
Draken21fx
Posts: 251
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:38 am

Re: U. S. Response to DPRK Missile Over Hokkaido

Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:04 am

Good analysis on why an interception of an ICBM is difficult by Aegis cruisers http://www.38north.org/2017/01/melleman012717/

The second line of defense THAAD is not the most reliable system either so let's not over-rely on those two systems.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aaron747, bikerthai, bpatus297, DH106, MrHMSH, petertenthije, tomcat, TriJets, VolvoBus, zakuivcustom and 63 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos