Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

stratosphere
Topic Author

Joel Osteen gets ripped

Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:31 am

The man of god Joel Osteen is having his issues I guess over not opening his church doors right away to Hurricane Harvey victims. Well I don't know the true story here I am an atheist anyway but I would think a true man of god would not live in a 10 million dollar house he would live modestly and give what a lot of what he makes to the less fortunate. I am not seeing that with this charlatan who is lining his pockets with the sheeples money.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/joel-osteen- ... 45140.html

1337Delta764

Re: Joel Osteen gets ripped

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:16 am

The church was in fact flooded on Sunday, and there were photos to prove it. Once the flood waters cleared someone posted photos of clear roads to attack and defame him. That person who posted the photos after the flood waters cleared should be thrown in jail. Hopefully Osteen has the guts to file a lawsuit.

jetero

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:24 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
The church was in fact flooded on Sunday, and there were photos to prove it. Once the flood waters cleared someone posted photos of clear roads to attack and defame him. That person who posted the photos after the flood waters cleared should be thrown in jail. Hopefully Osteen has the guts to file a lawsuit.

Yes, jail, definitely. Sounds totally proportionate and very Western democracy.
Last edited by jetero on Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

coolian2

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:27 am

1337Delta764 wrote:

Nah, guy is still an asshole.

Tugger

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:37 am

coolian2 wrote:

We pretty much are all assholes then.

I don't like it when people work to find a reason to dislike and even attack someone. I don't think he is any great shakes but I also don't think he is bad per se. He is just earning a living in his own way and millions of people have enabled that. He is really not much different than a actor, he presents himself in front of people and they reward him.
I don't need to like or approve of what he does.

As you say, he is an asshole, but everyone has got one.... so...

Tugg
Last edited by Tugger on Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

einsteinboricua

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:38 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
The church was in fact flooded on Sunday, and there were photos to prove it.

Looks like you also fell for the pictures of sharks swimming in flooded streets. His church was never flooded and, in fact, people staffed it soon after to begin distributing items. If the church was flooded, where are the pictures of the inside?

Surprise: there aren't any.

jetero

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:40 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

Looks like you also fell for the pictures of sharks swimming in flooded streets. His church was never flooded and, in fact, people staffed it soon after to begin distributing items. If the church was flooded, where are the pictures of the inside?

Surprise: there aren't any.

Oh damn! I locked the original liars up and threw away the key! No worry, I can open another cell for the real liars.

edmaircraft

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:43 am

If we're honest, how much of this entire fiasco is surprising?

Not a lot, if you ask me...

Aesma

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:49 am

Tugger wrote:
coolian2 wrote:

I don't like it when people work to find a reason to dislike and even attack someone. I don't think he is any great shakes but I also don't think he is bad per se. He is just earning a living in his own way and millions of people have enabled that. He is really not much different than a actor, he presents himself in front of people and they reward him.

Tugg

Actors don't prey on feeble minds by selling them eternal life and other such nonsense. Actors don't ask for donations, and don't ask you to come back every week and donate again.

jetero

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:53 am

Aesma wrote:
Tugger wrote:
coolian2 wrote:

Tugg

Actors don't prey on feeble minds by selling them eternal life and other such nonsense. Actors don't ask for donations, and don't ask you to come back every week and donate again.

To use for yachts and private jets because your wife got banned from Continental for harassing the "help."

Truly #Blessed

Tugger

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:59 am

Aesma wrote:

In some ways they do, how many awful actors are out there that are hugely successful? And basically all ministers are doing exactly what you note, living off the continuous donations of others. That does not make them bad people.

And Houston has more megachurches than any other area in the country, other similar churches did not open immediately either and people are not attacking them (New Light Church did not open four Houston-area locations till Wednesday, because of flooded roadways, their pastor was not able to drive around and check one out until then). Are all the churches and their leaders bad and bad people if they didn't immediately open their doors?

We love to outrage. The churches are helping and will help for years to come now. I am sitting comfortably at home typing on my computer.

Tugg

jetero

Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:02 am

Tugger wrote:
And Houston has more megachurches than any other area in the country, other similar churches did not open immediately either and people are not attacking them (New Light Church did not open four Houston-area locations till Wednesday, because of flooded roadways, their pastor was not able to drive around and check one out until then). Are all the churches and their leaders bad and bad people if they didn't immediately open their doors?

Abso-fing-lutely. The storm wasn't an overnight surprise. What about everyone saying Houston should've known something like this was happening? In cases like these the churches don't even have plans to help out their own parishioners? Government officials were bunkered at emergency centers. Pastor Yacht went home to mansion (funded by parishioners) and wasn't ready to mobilize? It's fine. I'm not surprised. It reveals very nakedly who they are.

Aesma

Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:20 am

Tugger wrote:
Aesma wrote:

In some ways they do, how many awful actors are out there that are hugely successful? And basically all ministers are doing exactly what you note, living off the continuous donations of others. That does not make them bad people.

I'm antireligious and anticlerical so I can definitely make an argument that they're indeed bad people.

However the few Catholic priests I've frequented lived very modestly, I have an aunt who is a working nun, again very modest. I still think they're preaching nonsense and that it's bad, but I'm much less offended by them than I am by televangelists.

910A

Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:38 am

1337Delta764 wrote:

And you were there?

Joel Osteen has confirmed that his church in Houston was not flooded, despite various photos that have been floating around the internet this week. There seemed to be a lot of confusion about why Osteen’s Lakewood Church didn’t open its doors to the people of Houston straight away.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/08/joel-oste ... ake-truth/

910A

Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:39 am

1337Delta764 wrote:

Joel Osteen has confirmed that his church in Houston was not flooded, despite various photos that have been floating around the internet this week. There seemed to be a lot of confusion about why Osteen’s Lakewood Church didn’t open its doors to the people of Houston straight away.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/08/joel-oste ... ake-truth/[/quote]

jetero

Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:08 am

910A wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

And you were there?

I'm running out of cells! Do you mind sharing with someone else 1337? I think he's wearing Inmate Orange. Hope you're OK with that color too.

LittleFokker

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:47 am

While it is possible that The Summit was flooded (or even the roads around the building too flooded to allow access), it is 100% true that Osteen is a pompous tax avoiding charlatan whose word shouldn't be trusted on any issue.

There needs to be a helluva lot more oversight on who actually qualifies for a 501(c3) tax exemption. Way too many organizations are getting it that shouldn't be, and then abusing the rules that go along with that designation.

tommy1808

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:06 am

LittleFokker wrote:
actually qualifies for a 501(c3) tax exemption.

Yup, among other things by removing "religious" from the text. Any Church that isn't a for profit business should be perfectly covered under charitable, educational, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering amateur sports competition, preventing cruelty to children, or preventing cruelty to animals.

Best regards
Thomas

Francoflier

Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:26 am

In his defense, that temple is a tax shelter, not a hurricane shelter.

:duck:

I have no sympathy for people like him who take advantage of the weak-minded and who prey on them to make a fortune. But then I don't think much of the people who actually believe his crap, enable him and give him money...
Let the chips fall where they may on this one.

einsteinboricua

Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:31 pm

In the meantime, the Mosques in the area all opened their doors immediately to act as shelters. No payment required to be admitted.

Let's just all remember:

MaverickM11

Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:41 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:

False.

910A wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

And you were there?

This is American christianity 2017: screw refugees, poor people, and hurricane victims, and just lie about it and pray you don't get caught....and try to make a ton of money off of it. And the same weekend a bunch of other neanderthal christians were busy in Nashville reaffirming LGBT people don't deserve to be treated as human beings. Trump never had to convince anyone he was christian...American christians have been Trumpian for decades.

jetero

Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:57 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
This is American christianity 2017: screw refugees, poor people, and hurricane victims, and just lie about it and pray you don't get caught....and try to make a ton of money off of it. And the same weekend a bunch of other neanderthal christians were busy in Nashville reaffirming LGBT people don't deserve to be treated as human beings. Trump never had to convince anyone he was christian...American christians have been Trumpian for decades.

There's a dandy editorial about that in the Washington Post today:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 60ba8d6936

Evangelical support for the president remains relatively firm; indeed, even as others criticized the president’s remarks in the wake of Charlottesville, evangelical leaders rose to the president’s defense. All of this gets under the skin of President Trump’s critics, who cannot believe that men and women who think of themselves as godly can possibly stomach Trump’s behavior. For such critics, the only possible explanation for evangelicals’ continuing faith in Trump is some combination of ignorance and hypocrisy.

[...]

These voters — and almost all of them voted — see Trump’s flaws but perceive him as a fellow sinner willing to fight the forces of the establishment on their behalf.

[...]

Another minister said he grows tired of hearing criticism of Trump on character issues. In the Bible and throughout history, “God uses rulers who aren’t themselves godly,” he said, pointing to the Old Testament example of David, a murderer and adulterer whom God later made king and eventually called “a man after my own heart.”

[...]

For example, when Trump refuses to fully adopt the conclusion that climate change is due to man-made influences, he demonstrates an affinity with evangelical Christians who do not blindly accept every scientific theory. (No matter what else they may blindingly accept or rationalize.)

[...]

Most evangelical believers don’t condemn Trump for the litany of words or deeds that so disturb others, even when they disapprove. Probably half the people in churches across the country defined as “evangelicals” were converted from lives that were even more unprincipled than the life Trump has led. (And their Christian response is to stick it to others that haven't converted yet.)

[...]

They know Donald J. Trump is not worthy of the grace of God, because neither were they — which, to them, is the mystery and beauty of this undeserved gift. (Yet, again, they are perfectly happy transferring their superstitious manias on others. By the grace of God we go!)

DLFREEBIRD

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:02 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

False.

910A wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

And you were there?

i thought this thread would be about Joel Osteen announcing god told him to divorce his wife.

carry on

MaverickM11

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:12 pm

jetero wrote:
They know Donald J. Trump is not worthy of the grace of God, because neither were they — which, to them, is the mystery and beauty of this undeserved gift. (Yet, again, they are perfectly happy transferring their superstitious manias on others. By the grace of God we go!)

Republicans and evangelicals have successfully rebranded christianty into the greedy, ignorant, vengeful hypocrisy relfected by their orange leader. I can't remember the last time a public official that's vocal about their christianity did something legitimately traditionally Christian--like help the less fortunate; it's always the complete inverse. If you want true Christianity these days, you need to look past the churches at look at what corporations like Walmart or Gallery Furniture are doing--that's where all the morals are now by comparison. Of course #notallchristians--just the ones in any position of power from state level up to and including the president...the good ones have been totally marginalized from power.
Last edited by MaverickM11 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jetero

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:12 pm

One of my (several) favorite snippets of evangelical history.

Preacher Jerry Falwell made a big splash last March when he wrested the PTL television ministry from Jim Bakker. Last week the minister made another big splash. Wearing a natty blue suit, Falwell, 54, plunged down the "Killer Typhoon" water slide at PTL's Heritage USA amusement park.

The televangelist was fulfilling a promise he had made during a fund-raising drive that netted $20 million for the debt-ridden PTL. Looking a little pale at the top of the 163-ft.-long water slide, Falwell recited the Lord's Prayer before his hellish four-second descent into the pool below, where he landed shoes up.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1987/09/11 ... 558331200/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHVBYR9RPyM

Of course Liberty University was birthed from this guy. And his son is kissing Trump's feet (probably didn't take much convincing) in exchange for looser regulation of his online college . . . so he can get more government money!!!!!
Last edited by jetero on Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jetero

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:13 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Gallery Furniture

Hey now even Mattress Mac didn't have to be shamed into opening his stores as shelters!

Dano1977

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:01 pm

A few years ago, I did a days consultancy work at one of the mega churches here in the U.K.

All the top people within the church, were driving Lexus 430's, lunch was provided everyday by contract caterers, and we are not talking soggy cheese sandwiches either.

Yet the main funding from the church came from it's parishioners via the collection plate.

So every time I see these "Men of God" with their million dollar smile and slick sales patter I'm reminded of this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35K6vQRt67g

jetero

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:07 pm

Dano1977 wrote:
Yet the main funding from the church came from it's parishioners via the collection plate.

Not much difference than paying to see Tony Robbins every week, I suppose.

Redd

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:52 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:

Please provide one photo, which I can't seem to find anywhere, that the church was flooded. It doesn't exist, because it didn't flood.

Redd

Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:00 pm

afcjets

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:53 pm

So you are comparing a $7 million home to a $10.5 million home, except for the fact that one of these guys purchased 4 neighboring homes for $30 million he intended to demolish for privacy.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/ ... te-n580216

http://www.businessinsider.com/mark-zuc ... use-2011-5

jetero

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:57 pm

afcjets wrote:
So you are comparing a $7 million home to a $10.5 million home, except for the fact that one of these guys purchased 4 neighboring homes for $30 million he intended to demolish for privacy.

Yeah, I'm sure that was the heart and substance of the comparison.

afcjets

Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:19 pm

jetero wrote:
afcjets wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure that was the heart and substance of the comparison.

One of the articles linked above mentions his former SF home was worth $10 million, almost the same price as Joel's home.

Even though Mark downsized, he later purchased 700 beachfront acres on Kauai for $100 million, which is more than double Joel's entire net worth.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/25/faceboo ... suits.html

Aesma

Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:38 pm

You're still not seeing that it's about one donating his money while the other wants your donations ?

afcjets

Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:50 pm

Joel's salary was $200,000 per year until 2005, when he quit taking one. He is not taking people's donations to enrich himself, he doesn't have to. He has earned $55 million outside the church and his net worth is only $40 million. Also, have you ever watched one of his services on TV? He never asks for a donation to his church, I am not sure how many televangelists can say that.

http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/joe ... id/643575/

stratosphere
Topic Author

Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:38 pm

afcjets wrote:
Joel's salary was $200,000 per year until 2005, when he quit taking one. He is not taking people's donations to enrich himself, he doesn't have to. He has earned $55 million outside the church and his net worth is only $40 million. Also, have you ever watched one of his services on TV? He never asks for a donation to his church, I am not sure how many televangelists can say that.

http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/joe ... id/643575/

I see your point and you are probably right in regards to other televangelists. My problem with any so called "man of god" is not like capitalists like Trump even. If you preach god and giving you do not live in a 10 million dollar house and your wife does not travel on an airline thinking working people are somehow beneath her. I am just a working stiff and I give a pretty good part of my salary to charity most of it animal charities and with the exception of St Jude. If your a man a god and preach giving to your fellow man show me! Until then he deserves his critics.

jpetekyxmd80

Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:49 am

1337Delta764 wrote:

You are a disgrace.

tommy1808

Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:02 am

I absolutely love how he supports ISIS....

“God won’t allow it unless he has a purpose for it,” he said. “We may not see it at the time, but that’s what faith is all about.”

So, if you get killed by terrorists, don't complain, that is God's will after all. NK's nuked must be fine too then.

Best regards
Thomad

readytotaxi

Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:00 am

jetero wrote:
Aesma wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

To use for yachts and private jets because your wife got banned from Continental for harassing the "help."

Truly #Blessed

Interesting, is there a link to the banning, when did it happen?

readytotaxi

Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:10 am

Oh while I'm here something else I do not understand. I hold no religious beliefs.

If an all powerful God, who is credited with creating the world, why does his work need money to get things done? If this God wanted it so it would have been done by now. Just my :twocents:

jetero

Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:09 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
jetero wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Truly #Blessed

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=5524479&page=1

jetero

Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:20 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Thank you.

She won the lawsuit, sadly.

In any case she showed her true colors.

readytotaxi

Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:21 pm

Thank you.

jetero

Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:25 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Thank you.

Very strange my post skipped yours!

readytotaxi

Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:48 pm

This site can be VERY strange. :o

MaverickM11

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:07 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
I absolutely love how he supports ISIS....

“God won’t allow it unless he has a purpose for it,” he said. “We may not see it at the time, but that’s what faith is all about.”

So, if you get killed by terrorists, don't complain, that is God's will after all. NK's nuked must be fine too then.

Best regards
Thomad

I condemn all sides. Or thank god for all sides. #blessed all around. :rotfl:

afcjets

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:09 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
jetero wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Truly #Blessed

She wasn't banned from Continental Airlines, she was kicked off the flight in 2005 and fined $3000 for interfering with a flight crew, she paid the fine without admitting wrongdoing. She won the civil suit brought against her though and the jury did not believe she assaulted the FA. The FA also claimed she was racist as she went past two black FAs and straight to a white one when things got heated. Another CO FA backed her up but then changed her story in court but three FC passengers and a pilot said they never saw her assault her. Another CO FA claimed in a deposition the same FA falsely accused her of assault 10 years earlier. The FA said she became depressed, feared losing her job for going after someone high profile, and as a religious woman it was very difficult for her and made her question her faith. Here is a link, I read a few articles about it so not all the details are in this one...

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26181548/ns/u ... attendant/
Last edited by afcjets on Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jetero

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:11 pm

afcjets wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:
jetero wrote:

Truly #Blessed

She wasn't banned from Continental Airlines, she was kicked off the flight in 2005 and fined $3000 for interferring with a flight crew, she paid the fine without admitting wrongdoing. She won the civil suit brough against her though and the jury did not believe she assaulted the FA. The FA also claimed she was racist as she went past two black ones and straight to the white one when tings got heated. Another CO FA backed her up but then changed her story in court but three FC passenger and a pilot said they neer saw her assualt her. Another CO FA claimed in a deposition the same FA falsely accusesd her of assault 10 years earlier. Here is a link, I read a few articles about it so not all the details are in this one...

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26181548/ns/u ... attendant/

God bless Victoria! So, so misunderstood. Definitely a victim.