Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Playing with timezones

Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:44 pm

The end of DST is tomorrow. We in the states set our clocks back an hour at 2am local. Now, has anyone thought about falling back with the clock and carrying on with your days as if the clock hadn't changed?

For example: when we're at standard time, 6am is 6am. When DST kicks in, our internal clock still feels like it's 6am except the clock reads 7am. Over the year we get used to DST only to fall back again in November.

I asked my boss to see if for a couple of weeks I can come in to work as if we were in DST. My normal time coming in to work is between 6:30am-7:00am, which means, during standard time, it will change to be between 5:30am-6:00am (I also fell back with the clock). I'm eager to see if I notice any changes in my internal clock and if I can truly adjust. It's almost like not having lost/gained the hour.

I got the idea after seeing a video from CGP Grey who traveled from London to Las Vegas and remained in London time (that meant he would get up at about 9pm PST and go to sleep at about 2-3pm PST).

Anyone else done this before?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Aesma

Re: Playing with timezones

Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:31 pm

We changed last week.

I'd like to stay on summer time year long. Night in the morning, I don't mind, but night when coming out of work, it really depresses me.

With my current job I can't really do what you're proposing.

Another reason to become self-employed.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Tugger

Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:46 pm

Aesma wrote:
I'd like to stay on summer time year long. Night in the morning, I don't mind, but night when coming out of work, it really depresses me.

Same here.
They keep talking about ending DST, a lot of people seem to think it is too much to go through and with no real benefit but I like DST, prefer it even. The changing of the clocks does not bother me really at all and is a small price for a better time cycle in summer. If they ever do end it I would only support it if they keep DST as the new standard.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:56 pm

Tugger wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Same here.
They keep talking about ending DST, a lot of people seem to think it is too much to go through and with no real benefit but I like DST, prefer it even. The changing of the clocks does not bother me really at all and is a small price for a better time cycle in summer. If they ever do end it I would only support it if they keep DST as the new standard.

Tugg

I see more benefit in staying with DST than standard. On the other hand, a few countries experienced it before setting their clocks back to standard and leaving them there (Russia is the best example).

I wonder who is behind the push for the US to remain using DST. It serves absolutely no purpose. My house's power needs are more for the appliances and the HVAC than actual lighting (fluorescent lightbulbs greatly reduce power consumption). Either give me the "extra hour" of daylight or don't, but growing up in a place that never observed DST, it's a very baffling thing.

Thunderboltdrgn

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:00 pm

Aesma wrote:
We changed last week.

It doesn't really matter here. It will be dark before and after work anyway. Currently we only have about 8½ hours of daylight anyway where I live.
At the worst it will "only" be about 5½- 6 hours of daylight (depending on the weather) which is still decent amount of daylight.

The opposite obviously applies to the summer.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

casinterest

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:17 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
The end of DST is tomorrow. We in the states set our clocks back an hour at 2am local. Now, has anyone thought about falling back with the clock and carrying on with your days as if the clock hadn't changed?

For example: when we're at standard time, 6am is 6am. When DST kicks in, our internal clock still feels like it's 6am except the clock reads 7am. Over the year we get used to DST only to fall back again in November.

I asked my boss to see if for a couple of weeks I can come in to work as if we were in DST. My normal time coming in to work is between 6:30am-7:00am, which means, during standard time, it will change to be between 5:30am-6:00am (I also fell back with the clock). I'm eager to see if I notice any changes in my internal clock and if I can truly adjust. It's almost like not having lost/gained the hour.

I got the idea after seeing a video from CGP Grey who traveled from London to Las Vegas and remained in London time (that meant he would get up at about 9pm PST and go to sleep at about 2-3pm PST).

Good luck with it, but I don't see the point. When traveling, I can easily adjust to a 7 hour change within 3 days. 1 Hour is negligible, and we will be back to DST within 14 weeks.
Where ever you go, there you are.

787Driver

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:09 pm

Some people live on winter time year round as they refuse to accept DST. I saw an interview with one of those people a few weeks ago. Quite interesting

vikkyvik

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:44 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

I may do something like this. Maybe start going in a half hour earlier. Primarily because:

Aesma wrote:
Night in the morning, I don't mind, but night when coming out of work, it really depresses me.

Like Aesma, I'd much rather stay on DST all year round.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

BobPatterson

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:07 pm

The one hour variance has never made a difference to me.

I do not have a 24-hour biological (circadian) clock, and keeping time with rest of the world has always been a problem for me, from my early school years until retirement.

Now, I have the blessed opportunity to live according to what my body dictates.

The only problem is that when I must schedule appointments I have to ask for late afternoon. Trying to do anything before noon is for me an exercise in frustration.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

salttee

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:43 pm

I also would prefer DST all year around.
I bet there's a spike in Prozac sales every year when DST ends.

Ely Lilly is probably behind the push to end DST.
I've always suspected einsteinboricua of being an Ely Lilly bot.

treetreeseven

Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:47 am

The USA needs to switch to year-round summer time and be done with this idiocy.

I have serious issues with circadian rhythm and maintain control with bright light during the day and small doses of melatonin at night. I change the melatonin timing 3 days before a DST change and try to be as strict as I can about not varying too much from my preferred schedule for 3 days before and a week after, and can usually keep the disturbance to a minimum. It is quite unpleasant.

Braybuddy

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:55 am

I don't mind the change at all. It helps to define the seasons, and in winter the darkening afternoons add to the atmosphere, particularly when the Christmas (even though I'm a non-believer) lights come on. And the upside, of course, is the sheer delight when the extra added hour of afternoon daylight arrives in March. You have to remember too, that the downside of remaining on summer time would be the loss of an hour's daylight in the mornings.

WildcatYXU

Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:24 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

Yes. I've gone to the old country when my oldest brother celebrated his 50-th birthday. He rented a cottage and arranged one celebration with friends one weekend and with the extended family next weekend. We stayed at the cottage for the whole week between the two celebration and we had gone to sleep every night (day?) day at 06:00 and waking around 13:00. Since the time difference is 6 hours, for me it felt like going to sleep at midnight and waking up at 07:00. It wasn't intentional, but felt interesting nonetheless.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

VapourTrails

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:51 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
Now, has anyone thought about falling back with the clock and carrying on with your days as if the clock hadn't changed? Anyone else done this before?

I know of someone older than me who passively resists the change to Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT) - by not changing all the clocks in the house and telling people, 'the real time is actually..' but saying that, they grew up without the DST thing.

I have always liked DST, but I wish it would start earlier and finish earlier in the year, by a few weeks or a month. It starts to not feel right. It takes me days to catch up when it does though, and I recall recently when we changed about a month ago there seemed to be a spike in car prangs around my way too. :zzz:

BobPatterson wrote:
I do not have a 24-hour biological (circadian) clock, and keeping time with rest of the world has always been a problem for me, from my early school years until retirement. Now, I have the blessed opportunity to live according to what my body dictates.

Same. I haven't travelled a lot, maybe that is the reason, but if an hour throws me out for days, I know that jet lag does, but I now see it as a challenge and plan to adjust early, days out from departure to lessen that effect. Any increase in incidences of sleep paralysis are to be well avoided on that front (too). :taekwondo:

Braybuddy wrote:
I don't mind the change at all. It helps to define the seasons, and in winter the darkening afternoons add to the atmosphere, particularly when the Christmas (even though I'm a non-believer) lights come on. And the upside, of course, is the sheer delight when the extra added hour of afternoon daylight arrives in March. You have to remember too, that the downside of remaining on summer time would be the loss of an hour's daylight in the mornings.

Well said yes. When we had the Sydney 2000 Olympics we changed about six weeks earlier, that took some getting used to, but as above, I liked it after the first couple of weeks because I think we leave it too late to change anyway.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:01 am

Braybuddy wrote:
You have to remember too, that the downside of remaining on summer time would be the loss of an hour's daylight in the mornings.
I don't do anything during the mornings (except commute) so I'm not concerned about it. Some parents may be worried about leaving their kids alone in the dark to wait for a school bus but then again, it's just a temporary thing and I would improve infrastructure so that there are well-lit areas where students can catch the buses and not be concerned about a car driving in the dark.

VapourTrails wrote:
I have always liked DST, but I wish it would start earlier and finish earlier in the year, by a few weeks or a month. It starts to not feel right. It takes me days to catch up when it does though, and I recall recently when we changed about a month ago there seemed to be a spike in car prangs around my way too.

I wish it was on permanently or not at all. This whole "get an extra hour of daylight" just doesn't make sense. The energy saving argument does not apply: whatever money you probably saved by keeping lightbulbs off is offset by the time your HVAC is running. The fact that the US has about 8 months of DST makes me want to push to make DST permanent.

Braybuddy

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:25 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I don't do anything during the mornings (except commute) so I'm not concerned about it.

Therein lies the difference! I finished working over four years ago, so bright mornings are more important to me. I get up earlier now than when I was working (sometimes as early as 5:30) so waiting until after 9 for daylight in the middle of winter wouldn't be much fun. I remember being in Iceland after Christmas some years ago, and the days didn't start to get bright till 11am, which was very strange and difficult to adjust to. I can understand where SAD comes from!