Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

1337Delta764
Topic Author

What will you wear for Thanksgiving?

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:39 pm

For Thanksgiving 2017, what are you planning to wear?

While in years past I have worn Fairy Tale pink button-downs, this year I have decided I will change it up a little, and will wear my new IZOD Heritage Essentials button-down in Saltwater Red. This is one of IZOD's Fall 2017 products. I am invited to a friend's house this Thanksgiving, so I might as well get dressed.

desertjets

Re: What will you wear for Thanksgiving?

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:48 pm

Pants with an elastic waist band if I am smart.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Tugger

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:57 pm

Hmm, clothes probably. But it is also likely that much of the day will be in PJ's. When I do dress it will be casual, jeans and a nice'ish Hawaiian shirt.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

casinterest

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:02 am

desertjets wrote:
Pants with an elastic waist band if I am smart.

Winner.
Where ever you go, there you are.

vhqpa

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:21 am

I'll be wearing my uniform which is either white with brown pinstripes or my company red Christmas polo.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

BobPatterson

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:36 am

I will probably wear a suit and tie. Someone has to set an example for a family who thinks that casual wear is suitable for a significant national holiday.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

maortega15

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:08 am

I'll be in boxers and a t-shirt. Or maybe PJ's if it's cold.

I have nowhere to go.

bgm

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:23 am

I'm going to wear a pink tutu in honor of 1337Delta764

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:46 am

bgm wrote:

I don't really wear a pink tutu; my avatar is of Larry Guthrie (portrayed by Larry the Cable Guy) from my favorite movie, Tooth Fairy 2.

Super80Fan

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:39 am

My normal, casual clothes. Stupidly leaving the warmth of Florida for the cold of New England but that's where I was born and raised so...
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

einsteinboricua

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:07 pm

The OP should consider stepping up to replace Joan Rivers on the red carpet to comment on people's clothing choices...such obsession with clothing (EVERY HOLIDAY, EVERY YEAR) is not normal, unless you're a fashion major.

To answer the question: not pink. That sums it up.

BobPatterson wrote:
Someone has to set an example for a family who thinks that casual wear is suitable for a significant national holiday.

Ah yes...suit and tie to a holiday where people are supposed to be thankful for what they have but leave the dining table to go to a store and rack up debt to purchase more stuff. What's wrong with casual wear?

More significant national holidays are 4th of July, Veterans' Day, Memorial Day, and even Christmas. Even for all of these, people wear casual clothing (I have yet to see or hear about a family coming down to the Christmas tree in formal clothing to open gifts, or a family going out one summer evening in formal clothing to watch a fireworks display celebrating the Declaration of Independence).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

scbriml

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:43 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
The OP should consider stepping up to replace Joan Rivers on the red carpet to comment on people's clothing choices...such obsession with clothing (EVERY HOLIDAY, EVERY YEAR) is not normal, unless you're a fashion major.

Or live an alternative lifestyle? :wink2:

1337Delta764 wrote:
I don't really wear a pink tutu; my avatar is of Larry Guthrie (portrayed by Larry the Cable Guy) from my favorite movie, Tooth Fairy 2.

It's hilarious that you feel the need to clarify. :yes:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

zckls04

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:38 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
More significant national holidays are 4th of July, Veterans' Day, Memorial Day, and even Christmas.

Memorial Day and Veterans Day are not generally considered more important than Thanksgiving. Christmas is, but a lot of people will dress up for Xmas dinner; I certainly always have. Ditto for Thanksgiving.

I have special stretchy suit pants, so I have the best of both worlds :)
Four Granavox Turbines!

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:25 pm

zckls04 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
More significant national holidays are 4th of July, Veterans' Day, Memorial Day, and even Christmas.

Memorial Day and Veterans Day are not generally considered more important than Thanksgiving. Christmas is, but a lot of people will dress up for Xmas dinner; I certainly always have. Ditto for Thanksgiving.

I have special stretchy suit pants, so I have the best of both worlds :)

Agreed. Many people don't even get Veterans' Day off.

910A

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:35 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:

What about all the people that work Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Labor Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July? In short people (especially in occupations for public safety, pilots, ATC etc) are working every holiday.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:16 pm

910A wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

What about all the people that work Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Labor Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July? In short people (especially in occupations for public safety, pilots, ATC etc) are working every holiday.

But that is a minority of industries that don't give those federal holidays off. Most employers don't give the other federal holidays (Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, Columbus Day, and Veterans Day) off.

johns624

Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:50 pm

zckls04 wrote:

They are if you give any thought at all to what they are commemorating.

ual747den

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:31 pm

Whatever feels right that morning, no pressure!

For the 10 years I was married Thanksgiving was hell. We would wake up in Naples, FL. where we would have breakfast and catch the first flight out of RSW for DEN. I would watch the parade on my F9 flight home to Denver and drive an hour North to Ft. Collins as soon as we landed to have lunch with my family. After staying long enough for people to know I was there I would head back out for the airport and jump on a DEN-DFW that would get me into Dallas in time for dinner.
Frontier Airlines - Low Fares Done Right

BobPatterson

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:40 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
Someone has to set an example for a family who thinks that casual wear is suitable for a significant national holiday.

Ah yes...suit and tie to a holiday where people are supposed to be thankful for what they have but leave the dining table to go to a store and rack up debt to purchase more stuff. What's wrong with casual wear?

More significant national holidays are 4th of July, Veterans' Day, Memorial Day, and even Christmas. Even for all of these, people wear casual clothing (I have yet to see or hear about a family coming down to the Christmas tree in formal clothing to open gifts, or a family going out one summer evening in formal clothing to watch a fireworks display celebrating the Declaration of Independence).

Do you think the Pilgrims came to table in casual dress?

Forget Xmas. It is nothing more than a crass commercial activity.

On the 4th, Veteran's and Memorial Days we are apt to have parades with many formally uniformed participants. There was a time when adults along the parade route dressed appropriately.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

scbriml

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:58 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:

On the 4th, Veteran's and Memorial Days we are apt to have parades with many formally uniformed participants. There was a time when adults along the parade route dressed appropriately.

Bless you, Bob. But we live in 2017, not 1617. :wink2:

Here's one of those new-fangled pop songs that you may have heard about that sums it up nicely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7qQ6_RV4VQ
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

BobPatterson

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:19 pm

scbriml wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Bless you, Bob. But we live in 2017, not 1617. :wink2:

Here's one of those new-fangled pop songs that you may have heard about that sums it up nicely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7qQ6_RV4VQ

Thanks for reminding me of Dylan way back 53 years ago. Nostalgic stuff, just like dressing up for holidays :-)

Ken777

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:11 am

Turkey

Or at least Turkey Gravy

seb146

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:22 am

I would re-enact the final scene from the Robert Altman film "Pret-a-Porter" but there will probably be children around, so probably a sweater and pants or shirt and shorts, depending on how cold it is and where I am and how I feel....

The written word really does not translate with my sarcastic tone. Speech to text would work so much better with this. Maybe I should have just ignored this post.....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

zckls04

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:01 pm

johns624 wrote:
They are if you give any thought at all to what they are commemorating.

That's a case of personal opinion. Some might argue that remembering to be thankful for what you have is much more important than dwelling on the past.
Four Granavox Turbines!

Tugger

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:53 pm

BobPatterson wrote:

Actually yes I do. Most people did not have "dress up" and "dress down" options. They would wear what they had, probably cleaned up a bit.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Kiwirob

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:20 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
bgm wrote:

I’m sure you have one in your wardrobe.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:40 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
bgm wrote:

I’m sure you have one in your wardrobe.

Nope, my pink wardrobe is mostly polo shirts and button downs, with some pink fleeces as well.

Siren

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:01 am

I suspect that my wardrobe choice won't change much from my typical day to day uniform of "athleisure" stuff. Basically, it's the typical housewife of Orange County uniform these days. Lululemon compression pants - I have a number of these, some black, some with prints - purple, blue, grey... sneakers, and depending on the temperature that day, if it's typical California warm, probably will do a tank top with a built-in shelf bra. If it's cold, I break out the velour hoodie, probably the grey one.

If I end up with an invite to something, then that changes rather dramatically. I'd do a nice flowing tunic top, probably in a dark blue. I have a really nice one with a pattern that's perfect for fall - almost looks like autumn leaves on a navy blue background. And it's long enough (barely) that I can get away with just using black tights as pants. And some nice boots that go up to my knees...

fr8mech

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:24 am

I will come home from work, in my "work clothes", dockers and a casual button down...of whatever color came out of my closet the night before. I will change, do final prep and leave instructions for my daughter to put the bird in. I will get up around noon, and prepare the stuffing and anything else, whilst still in my sleep pants and a tee-shirt. For the dinner itself, I will dress much like I was dressed 24 hours before...for work.

Siren wrote:

Pictures?
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

RoySFlying

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:27 am

BobPatterson wrote:
There was a time when adults along the parade route dressed appropriately.

There was also a time when people dressed appropriately for the theatre or concert recital. People would even dress up to fly. Now, sometimes the actors on the stage don't even bother to wear any clothes.

But I guess dressing up becomes rather pointless when your usual day wear changes from overalls and hob-nailed boots or waders and becomes a suit and tie. Then dressing up is simply changing the tie you wear. Who notices the difference? After being in a stuffy suit all day, some people would rather wind down than dress up. To each their own. Whatever makes them happy, as long as it's clean.