Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

teams/institutions with STATE names instead of CITY name

Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:10 pm

...should be banned.

It seems that 1961 was the year that saw the introduction of the "Minnesota Twins" baseball franchise, the first team to have a state name instead of a city name, and hence the begging of humanity's decline. Sports teams should be named for cities, not states. Why wouldthey be named for states? In 1991 Larry King on his nighttime radio show inveighed heavily against MLB's then-new teams, the "'Colorado Rockies' - BAD NAME!!!" he said, and "The 'Florida Marlins' - BAD NAME!! Anyone in Pensacola on line to buy tickets??"

The same sort of question applies to Minnesota, where the Twins have how many people coming down to the stadium from Thief River Falls? Or for that matter, Rochester? I grew up 40 miles outside of Boston and I was quite OK rooting for the Boston Celtics, not making any issue out of them not being called the "Massachusetts Celtics." I mean please.

When the Marlins changed their name a few years ago to the Miami Marlins, there arose a glimmer of hope for humanity. There is still work to be done. There are still the Florida Panthers, the Colorado Avalanche, the Rockies, all four of Minnesota's sports franchises, "Golden State" Warriors, and others. They all need to be renamed for Miami, Denver, Minneapolis, and Oakland or be removed from existence.

It's not just sports teams either. Fetch your List of Coffee Mugs Airstud Owns - go on, fetch it right now, before reading any further.

Got it yet? On examining it, you will see that my coffee mugs say "Chicago Symphony Orchestra," "Los Angeles Public Library," "Milwaukee Sesquicentennial" (purchased that one on a 1996 visit to Milwaukee, when they were celebrating their big 150, see), "San Francisco Symphony," "Detroit Motor City," and "1996 Atlanta Olympics." (I'm not sure how I have that last one, as I've never been to (the non-airport parts of) Atlanta.) The point is, each of my mugs sports the name of a major city. And I now live in Minneapolis so what am I supposed to say when the coffee mug cops show up and demand an explanation of me not owning a mug with that city's name on it? See, I always like going to symphony concerts - and thereafter picking up a mug for my cultured, cosmopolitan collection - but there is no "Minneapolis Symphony," for as surely as Satan himself compelled the sports people to name teams after non-city entities, the orchestra people amorally named it the "Minnesota Orchestra." Like there's a subscriber base in Grand Marais. The opera company out here is called the "Minnesota Opera," just to make things even worse, and "Minnesota Dance Theatre" is there just to spit on me. (Gross.)

I call upon the a.net community to rise up against this too-long-overlooked state-name-instead-of-city-name scourge. Common sense - and my cosmopolitan coffee mug collection - demand it.
Pancakes are delicious.

petertenthije

Re: teams/institutions with STATE names instead of CITY name

Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:41 pm

Airstud wrote:
The point is, each of my mugs sports the name of a major city. And I now live in Minneapolis so what am I supposed to say when the coffee mug cops show up and demand an explanation of me not owning a mug with that city's name on it?

Just tell the mug police that minneapolis is not cultured and cosmoplitan enough to have earned a place among your collection :)

Or do a google image search on minneapolis + mug to get a few dozen designs promoting Minneapolis.
Attamottamotta!

ltbewr

Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:42 pm

You have some NHL teams with state names, including the New Jersey Devils. In the case of the New Jersey Devils, it was because they initially or for years played in small towns, not in major cities. For the NJ Devils that included for years in East Rutherford, NJ and later to their current location in Newark. That made it easier for market identity, perhaps deals done with other NHL teams, like with the Devils as to the NY Rangers, to keep exclusive rights to keep a city/metro area name. Then there is the political and marketing angles of the home state where they play. With the NJ Devils, the devil reference is to a southern NJ based mythical creature called 'The Jersey Devil' so a play on that connecting to NJ.

TWA772LR

Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:54 pm

You have the Texas Rangers because even people in the DFW area are ashamed to be associated with Dallas! :biggrin:

And the Carolina Hurricanes sounds better than the Raleigh Hurricanes. Tennessee Titans is much better as an aliteration than Nashville Titans.

And how about the NY Jets/Giants? They don't even play in the State of New York. ;)

Add to that the Foxboro Patriots and Bay Area Warriors.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

71Zulu

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:08 pm

Utah Jazz

Colorado Avalanche

Arizona Cardinals

Carolina Panthers

Minnesota Vikings

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

LittleFokker

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:37 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Tennessee Titans is much better as an aliteration than Nashville Titans.

Also, Nashville Titans sounds too close to Nissan Titan (ironically, their stadium has now sold their naming rights to Nissan).

Airstud wrote:
I call upon the a.net community to rise up against this too-long-overlooked state-name-instead-of-city-name scourge. Common sense - and my cosmopolitan coffee mug collection - demand it.

Why don't you just get a retro mug of the Minneapolis Lakers? They got it right.... except for not changing the team name after moving to a place with no lakes.

And while on the topic... how do you feel about the Washington , D.C. area teams who go by just "Washington?" Yes, it's referring to a city, but it's concurrently the name of a state. Does that cause you conflict?
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

LittleFokker

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:50 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
And while on the topic... how do you feel about the Washington , D.C. area teams who go by just "Washington?" Yes, it's referring to a city, but it's concurrently the name of a state. Does that cause you conflict?

Although quoting yourself without a reply is an internet faux paus, I am going to do so now.

I had another thought....the MLS team in that area is the DC United. That's not a city, state, or state nickname, but rather the name of a Federal District. What kind of feelings or emotions does that generate within you?

And since the R*dsk*ns don't even play in the city of Washington (Landover, MD), what are your thoughts on pilfering another city's name?

vikkyvik

Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:16 pm

Airstud wrote:
...should be banned.

I note that despite growing up 40 miles from Boston, you conveniently left out the New England Patriots, whose name represents a SIX-STATE area.

Anyway, I grew up 15 miles from Boston, so my opinion is 25 miles more important than yours. And I don't care about state- (or multi-state-) named teams.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

BobPatterson

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:29 pm

The Minnesota Twins were named for the Twin Cities (Minneapolis-St. Paul), so your argument loses force from the outset.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

B777LRF

Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:00 pm

Are you telling me my BMW should henceforth be called a MMW? Is the Zealand Symphony Orchestra also forced to change name and, if so, do you have a suggestion?
Signature. You just read one.

bgm

Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:36 pm

I think the egg salad has gone to his head... :duck:
If you hate wearing a mask, you’re really going to hate using a ventilator.

seb146

Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:43 pm

And why aren't more sports teams wearing pink all the time?

What about the BC Lions and the Saskatchewan Roughriders? Golden State Warriors when there are three other NBA teams already in California? The symphony where I grew up is called "Oregon East Symphony" because they have musicians from all across "Eastern Oregon" which is roughly ten counties in northeast Oregon.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Jetsgo

Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:52 pm

California in particular is guilty of this which is ironic given the states size and diversity. The Angels are perhaps the worst offender having gone through four geographic name changes in the last 20 years despite having played at the same ballpark since 1966. Then there’s the Warriors, who while Golden State, are benefiting in a way as they move across the Bay over to San Francisco. Lastly, everyone’s favorite team these days, the 49ers, now play nearly 40 miles from the city they’re supposed to represent.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

LittleFokker

Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:07 pm

71Zulu wrote:
Utah Jazz

Colorado Avalanche

Arizona Cardinals

Carolina Panthers

Minnesota Vikings

Also:

Arizona Coyotes (who were the Phoenix Coyotes after ditching the Winnipeg Jets moniker)

Arizona Diamondbacks

Georgia Force (Arena Football)

And since I am going head first into this rabbit hole, what are your thoughts on colleges who identity by the state name only? Especially in states where there are multiple state schools? Or is it because they are state government institutions, that makes it okay?

SmithAir747

Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:35 pm

Indiana Pacers

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

Thunderboltdrgn

Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:46 pm

Jämtarna speedway (Jämtlands Motorklubb) based in Östersund.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

seb146

Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:48 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
71Zulu wrote:
Utah Jazz

Colorado Avalanche

Arizona Cardinals

Carolina Panthers

Minnesota Vikings

Also:

Arizona Coyotes (who were the Phoenix Coyotes after ditching the Winnipeg Jets moniker)

Arizona Diamondbacks

Georgia Force (Arena Football)

And since I am going head first into this rabbit hole, what are your thoughts on colleges who identity by the state name only? Especially in states where there are multiple state schools? Or is it because they are state government institutions, that makes it okay?

Like the Minnesota State Screamin' Eagles or the University of Southern North Dakota at Hoople?

yeah, I was really reaching for those....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

einsteinboricua

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:48 am

So The Pennsylvania State University should change its name to the State College/University Park/Happy Valley State University? What about MIT? After thinking about it, I find that Boston Institute of Technology has a better ring to it (BIT).

I guess Kentucky Fried Chicken will have to change its name. It can honor the Bowling Green Massacre by calling itself Bowling Green Fried Chicken with a tag line "explosive taste to die for".
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."