Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Tango-Bravo
Topic Author

Why the drop in NFL ratings?

Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:37 pm

So why have the NFL's television ratings declined for a second consecutive season (even more in 2017 than in 2016) and 33% of fans reported be boycotting the NFL?

StarAC17

Re: Why the drop in NFL ratings?

Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:02 pm

Tango-Bravo wrote:
So why have the NFL's television ratings declined for a second consecutive season (even more in 2017 than in 2016) and 33% of fans reported be boycotting the NFL?

A few reasons, outside of the boycotts of the player kneeling, which I think is overblown.

- NFL coverage is over saturated, it is on 3 out of 7 days of the week, 4 later in the season. You can only attract viewers so much and internationally they game is limited. Basketball and Baseball are far more popular globally with basketball popular in Europe and Asia and baseball popular in Asia an Latin America.
- The game has become less entertaining with all the flags and the replay/reviews. I used to criticize soccer (real football) for having none but the NFL has taken it to a crazy degree.
- In a effort to make the game safer which should be done, it has become less entertaining. More flags slow momentum in a game that already has a bunch of momentum issues.
- Millennials are cutting the cord and going without cable and not buying NFL packages, they might have an antenna to get their local game on CBS/Fox but primetime games are typically require cable which less people have now. This is the big one, and they might be streaming online but that is likely not counted in the ratings.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

jetwet1

Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:29 pm

Way to many commercial breaks, every couple of minutes there is a commercial running.

I watch hockey where every period there are 3 2 minute breaks, that's it, the game runs with so much more fluidity.

ltbewr

Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:11 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
Tango-Bravo wrote:

A few reasons, outside of the boycotts of the player kneeling, which I think is overblown.

- NFL coverage is over saturated, it is on 3 out of 7 days of the week, 4 later in the season. You can only attract viewers so much and internationally they game is limited. Basketball and Baseball are far more popular globally with basketball popular in Europe and Asia and baseball popular in Asia an Latin America.
- The game has become less entertaining with all the flags and the replay/reviews. I used to criticize soccer (real football) for having none but the NFL has taken it to a crazy degree.
- In a effort to make the game safer which should be done, it has become less entertaining. More flags slow momentum in a game that already has a bunch of momentum issues.
- Millennial are cutting the cord and going without cable and not buying NFL packages, they might have an antenna to get their local game on CBS/Fox but primetime games are typically require cable which less people have now. This is the big one, and they might be streaming online but that is likely not counted in the ratings.

I agree with the above noted reasons, and would add others
- Changing demographics with many newer immigrants from places where soccer football is far more popular so less likely to be as interested in American Football.
- Too many bad teams in some older markets (Like Cleveland)
- Too expensive to watch games live in stadiums
- Racism/White Supremacy as the NFL becomes a majority Black players game, well over their proportion of the general population, turning off many White fans (made worse by the 'kneeling' protests)
- Too many NFL and college football players caught on drugs or off-field criminal behaviors.
- Fewer young people getting into the sport due to the violence, risk of head and other serious injuries, pressure by parents for those reasons, fewer communities and high schools able to afford football teams
- More choices in sports by young K-12 and college aged young men including soccer
- Games take too long, with too many commercials and as noted above, too many officials time outs, and too little actual play in the clock time
- Collapse of FanDuel and other fantasy gaming sites so fewer into seeing how their players are doing
- More shifting of TV watching time to streaming and cable programs
- Who wants to be inside a dark bar or home on a nice day early in the season watching football, especially when early season games are usually lousy
- Reduction in pre-season hard/pads on practice so early season games are not as good as used to be

NoTime

Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:21 pm

A bunch of reasons, but the league would do well to find a way to address the kneeling nonsense - most of the people I know who used to watch the NFL are watching it less this season because of the kneeling.

Tango-Bravo
Topic Author

Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:36 pm

While I do not agree with "too much" TV exposure as the cause for the NFL's drop in ratings -- until 2016 ratings were doing quite well on each of the 3 days/nights games were televised during the regular season. Plus, NBA games are televised no less than 6 days a week and their ratings are through the proverbial roof.

In my case I 'tuned out' after many years due to excessive interruptions to the flow of the game due to the absurd frequency of "play is under review" and penalties called for violations (alleged or actual) of rules that have become so convoluted and subjective that there is virtually no way the refs can be consistent in enforcing the rules; ie the game has become as much about the officiating as the players...to the point where the 3rd or 4th member of the broadcast crew is a rules expert/analyst!

Then there are the senseless (other than for reasons of sheer greed) frequent and prolonged stoppages for commercial breaks. Just for my own information, on one of the rare occasions when a commercial break did not follow a kickoff, I timed how long it takes for the offense and defense to take the field and line up for first play of the ensuing possession. It took all of 25 seconds from the ball being downed in the endzone for a touchback to the snap of the ball on 1st and 10 from the 25. Most of the time a commercial break of at least 2 minutes follows a kickoff before the first play from scrimmage occurs. Same thing on punts and other changes of possession, to say nothing of needlessly prolonged stoppages for the 2-minute warnings and quarter breaks.

In short, too much BS and not enough football.

dfwjim1

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:20 pm

Another reason for the drop in interest in NFL football is that there are just a few really good teams while the rest are mediocre or just bad.

910A

Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:35 pm

Here is a link to an SI article on the subject: https://www.si.com/tech-media/2018/01/0 ... network-tv

One other important part to remember, all television is on a downward spiral.

casinterest

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:49 am

910A wrote:
Here is a link to an SI article on the subject: https://www.si.com/tech-media/2018/01/0 ... network-tv

One other important part to remember, all television is on a downward spiral.

9% and 9% drop on NFL and Cable

Too much time on Anet?

Seriously, we will have to see if it is the start of a bad trend , or the result of some truly horrible teams this year.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Runway28L

Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:33 am

This video hilariously yet accurately sums up the decline of the NFL...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwofkOVeSs0

StarAC17

Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:00 pm

NoTime wrote:
A bunch of reasons, but the league would do well to find a way to address the kneeling nonsense - most of the people I know who used to watch the NFL are watching it less this season because of the kneeling.

My solution to this might get American's mad at me but I stand by it.

Stop playing the anthem at sporting events and I would do the same in Canada. I have been to live sporting events in other countries and they don't play the anthem. I would have an exception for national matches but in terms of professional leagues stop playing it.

Failing that the NFL should let the contract they have with the department of defense expire and not renew it. Then it can go back to pre-2009 when they players were not on the field for the anthem.

If the NFL starts punishing players then even thought it is a not technically a first amendment violation as they are private employer. Granted there is a lot of public money invested in a lot of the stadiums that it could lead to a labour disruption or the NFL faces litigation by the ACLU.

dfwjim1 wrote:
Another reason for the drop in interest in NFL football is that there are just a few really good teams while the rest are mediocre or just bad.

Did you see the games this week? A lot of teams whom haven't been there in ages won and only about 4 teams made the playoffs this year that made it last year. 3 of the 4 teams in the championship games have never won a Superbowl.
Sure you have some really good teams and some bad ones but the season has been really exciting in the second half.

Route66

Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:20 pm

None of the myriad of reasons listed above caused NFL ratings to drop precipitously in the last two years, although they are ancillary. The last two years is all about the one thing every liberal pundit in the country has claimed would not affect ratings, and is now trying to downplay.

Unfortunately, football players are not always the most intellectual type and will never realize the perils of mixing politics with business. Colin Kaepernik is one of them.

Kiwirob

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:02 pm

So the downturn isn’t because it a shitty sport and people have found other better to watch sports like rugby union, which is on the up.

LittleFokker

!

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:12 pm

Route66 wrote:
None of the myriad of reasons listed above caused NFL ratings to drop precipitously in the last two years, although they are ancillary. The last two years is all about the one thing every liberal pundit in the country has claimed would not affect ratings, and is now trying to downplay.

Unfortunately, football players are not always the most intellectual type and will never realize the perils of mixing politics with business. Colin Kaepernik is one of them.

There's no evidence that Colin's protests have affected ratings/attendance in any meaningful way. You are only citing anecdotal evidence (which you may or may not be told the actual truth of said person's "protest"). The #1 reason behind the drop in ratings in the overall cord cutting that's affecting all TV program. Any other reason is only circumstantial/hearsay.

StarAC17 wrote:
My solution to this might get American's mad at me but I stand by it.

Stop playing the anthem at sporting events and I would do the same in Canada. I have been to live sporting events in other countries and they don't play the anthem. I would have an exception for national matches but in terms of professional leagues stop playing it.

Failing that the NFL should let the contract they have with the department of defense expire and not renew it. Then it can go back to pre-2009 when they players were not on the field for the anthem.

If the NFL starts punishing players then even thought it is a not technically a first amendment violation as they are private employer. Granted there is a lot of public money invested in a lot of the stadiums that it could lead to a labour disruption or the NFL faces litigation by the ACLU.

I can totally get behind this. I also could do without the daily trotting out of some military members for some reason, as well as the military jet flyovers. Wastes money and for me, crosses the line into "Salute the military....OR ELSE!"
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

StarAC17

Re: !

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:43 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
I can totally get behind this. I also could do without the daily trotting out of some military members for some reason, as well as the military jet flyovers. Wastes money and for me, crosses the line into "Salute the military....OR ELSE!"

All American's should be mad about this as your tax dollars were used by the military since 2009 to pay the NFL to have those flyovers and military ceremonies.

This also required the players on the field and the ironic part is that those troops are the ones that are least outraged by the players kneeling, they fight to protect that right that the players are exercising.

NoTime

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:27 am

LittleFokker wrote:
Route66 wrote:

There's no evidence that Colin's protests have affected ratings/attendance in any meaningful way. You are only citing anecdotal evidence (which you may or may not be told the actual truth of said person's "protest"). The #1 reason behind the drop in ratings in the overall cord cutting that's affecting all TV program. Any other reason is only circumstantial/hearsay.

Nonsense. Why aren't the NBA's ratings down b/c of cord cutting? Why are college football's ratings not going down b/c of cord cutting? If the protests and boycotts don't have any effect, why are no NFL teams willing to sign Kaepernick? Why are team owners so worried about their players not standing?

Okie

Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:35 am

LittleFokker wrote:

Bovine Manure.
NBA up, College Football up even Napcar up all generally dependent on Cable/Satellite.

Lot of season tickets were sold before the season started. Lets see how things go 2019. Lots of seats had no cracks this year saw $400 seats for $14.

Tango-Bravo wrote:

The TV looks like the high teen loss of eyeballs.
Interesting to see if NFL can save the TV contracts $9 Billion worth that come up again in 2022 season.

Okie

sierrakilo44

Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:54 am

Maybe it’s because Americans are realising watching a broadcast of a typical NFL game is a boring waste of time.

https://www.sportsgrid.com/real-sports/nfl/pie-chart-actual-football-watching-nfl-game-vs-replays-commercials-etc/

In a typical 3hr TV broadcast, there is an average of 11 minutes of gameplay. The average NFL play lasts a grand total of 4 seconds. The bulk of the 180 minutes is made up of replays, commercials, players and coaches milling around between plays, analysis, national anthems, jet flyovers, patriotic ceremonies etc. Only around 5% of the broadcast is an actual sports game in action.

Compare that to football (soccer). A few minutes of pre game and post game analysis, a bit of commentary and a few ads at half time but in a typical 2hr TV broadcast there’s about 95 minutes of action (including added time). So almost 80% of the broadcast is a sports game in action.

I do agree the NFL should drop all the patriotic nonsense as well. The only reason a national anthem should be played is before international sports games as you are actually representing the country, and military recruiters should drop the onfield patriotic recruitment pitches as well.

apodino

Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:00 am

Think about this. Kapernick started this kneeling protest last year. I think a lot of teams were turned off by it, and he found himself out of the league. This wasn't an issue. Where this became an issue is when Trump opened his mouth during the season and instead of letting Kapernick quietly fade away, he threw jet a on what was nothing more than warm coals by now. Then everyone responded with their own protest to trump, then a bunch of people suddenly got upset over the protests and turned off and didn't show up.

Having a pretty crappy product on the field didn't help either. Only three AFC teams realistically had a shot at winning the AFC, two of them play next week and the third team is using Terrible Towels as crying towels. In the NFC, markets where the NFL is typically strong (meaning good ratings), Green Bay, New York, Dallas, and Seattle all had teams with off seasons, and it got to a point where there was no hope. LA got back in the playoffs, but attendance still suffered, and the area isn't really a strong football town. Having all the London games and the fact that we get football three nights a week these days, and the product is diluted as well. Not to mention going up against MLB during the early part, which they would have won in past years, but everyone was watching after that World Series turned out to be one of the best ones ever.

So Trumps antics and the kneeling were a part. But its only one part of the equation. Plus Goddell is not handling many issues well at all, and many people, myself included would like to see him replaced. But he got a job extension. Even Billionaires can do dumb things.

DLFREEBIRD

Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:31 am

rating have been declining for a while, i suspect because there are so many injuries. I can't seem to sit through a football game without seeing someone seriously hurt. Football is extremely dangerous. It takes the fun out of watching. All i can think of is Jim McMahon going to the grocery store and not remembering how to get home. These injuries
have lifestyle consequences.

MaverickM11

Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:00 am

Route66 wrote:

NASCAR ratings are down 45% in the last decade--is that because of black people too?
I don't take responsibility at all

salttee

Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:50 am

What thinking person really gives a shit if a multimillionaires team can beat a billionaires team?

The only loyalty is to money. Any NFL owner would dump the city they're playing in and move their team to Baghdad or Beijing if they thought it would pay off. None of the players are from the region they represent. The whole thing is hype and is completely bogus.

sierrakilo44

Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:41 am

salttee wrote:
What thinking person really gives a shit if a multimillionaires team can beat a billionaires team?

The only loyalty is to money. Any NFL owner would dump the city they're playing in and move their team to Baghdad or Beijing if they thought it would pay off. None of the players are from the region they represent. The whole thing is hype and is completely bogus.

Well you’ve just described major European soccer teams and it doesn’t seem to be hurting their popularity?

LMP737

Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:10 am

NoTime wrote:

Nonsense. Why aren't the NBA's ratings down b/c of cord cutting?

Or maybe because NBA players are not getting their brains scrambled by playing. My viewing of football declined over the years and now I don't watch it anymore at all. Hard to enjoy watching something where you know the people doing it are doing permanent damage to their brain.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

LMP737

Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:17 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Maybe it’s because Americans are realising watching a broadcast of a typical NFL game is a boring waste of time.

Especially if you live in Cleveland.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

notaxonrotax

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:03 am

Soccer is conquering the USA slowly, yeah baby!

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

FlyingColours

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:55 pm

It's those cheating Patriots, everyone is sick of them :p

LMP737 wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

Especially if you live in Cleveland.

Ouch, Savage!

Well joking aside, I think the one of the main issues is the constant breaks in play and resultant commercial breaks, that and all the endless "this is brought to you by..." but then again sponsorship and ad-revenue is where the money comes from though.

Interestingly enough the NFL's popularity in the UK is still growing and gets a boost with each set of London Games (though this year's games look shocking both in terms of teams and choices of stadia).

How much of the drop in ratings can be attributed to the launch of the NFL Network or are those figures taken into account already? I think the main crux of it comes down to a combination of online streaming (both legally but un-recorded in the figures and illegally) and people going out and watching the games in a bar. Call me odd but I can't stand watching a soccer game (calling it soccer purely to avoid confusion) in a bar, I mean I actively try and avoid places with the game on but on the flip side of that I love being in a bar when the NFL is on, perhaps it comes down to the major differences in the fanbase (the fact that NFL fans tend to get along and not try and beat seven bells out of fans of the opposition).

I suppose you could call it realism but I fired up Madden 25 last night (for the first time in quite a while) and found it took nearly an hour to play one match (on the quickest 5 minute quarters) due to all the stoppages, which compared to FIFA 17 which I played earlier a single match could be completed inside of 10 minutes. The thing is, I stopped playing FIFA after 2 matches and fired up Madden and played that for hours and despite all the stoppages enjoyed it considerably more, mainly because it had the right "feel".

Phil - UK Based Redskins Fan
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

scbriml

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:29 pm

FlyingColours wrote:
UK Based Redskins Fan

So I'm not the only one? :eek:

Been a long time since we had much to cheer about.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

FlyingColours

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:14 pm

Haha, there was an impressive contingent at the London Game in 2016, I was there with the UK Supporters Club so at least there are more than 3 of us ;) But yeah, I thought this year may have been a good one but after a great start it all went pear shaped...
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

DigitalSea

Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:32 pm

They tried to milk the NFL for as much as they can. Cram in advertisements, cram in pre/post-game shows, cram games into as many nights of the week as possible. As stated above, it's pure over-saturation. You just get tired of it.