dc10lover

Re: 2nd Amazon HQ Finalists - No SEA-CMH

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:52 am

Nashville, Tennessee might be good. As I understand, they don't have property taxes. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

luckyone

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:03 am

dc10lover wrote:
Nashville, Tennessee might be good. As I understand, they don't have property taxes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

They do.
https://smartasset.com/taxes/tennessee- ... calculator
As does the state of Tennessee. While every state officially levies a property tax, it’s safe to say wherever Amazon lands they won’t be paying much if any local property tax.

Caryjack

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:49 am

dc10lover wrote:
Please don't flame me but what about maybe Moses Lake, Washington. Plenty of land, cheap electricity, closer to Seattle, Alaska or Delta can quickly add flights to Seattle.

Just a thought.

Well it does have hundreds of square miles of open land, cheap electricity from Columbia River dams, and is located between Spokane and Seattle (about 200 miles from each). Not much to the north or south though. It has a community college, a high school and a public library; which are all fine for a population of 22,000. It is on I-90 and has an airport with a 13,000 foot runway (old SAC base, I think). It’s basically a small Eastern Washington farming community a long drive from....
I don't think this site will stand up to Amazon's criteria.

Moses Lake is used by Boeing as a test site. Some of their customers have (or had) offices there. My cousin lives there with his family and is a pilot.

Why Moses Lake, are you from the area?

Thanks
Cary

winginit

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:57 pm

You can bet that with actual money on the line, the international bookies are going to have a dedication to research and speculation around the topic that would surpass just about anything we can drum up. That being the case, it's of note that PaddyPower had new odds out today that establish Boston as a clear front runner:

BOS 2/1
ATL 5/1
AUS 11/12
DCA 8/1
PIT 10/1

dc10lover

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:51 pm

Caryjack wrote:
dc10lover wrote:
Please don't flame me but what about maybe Moses Lake, Washington. Plenty of land, cheap electricity, closer to Seattle, Alaska or Delta can quickly add flights to Seattle.

Just a thought.

Well it does have hundreds of square miles of open land, cheap electricity from Columbia River dams, and is located between Spokane and Seattle (about 200 miles from each). Not much to the north or south though. It has a community college, a high school and a public library; which are all fine for a population of 22,000. It is on I-90 and has an airport with a 13,000 foot runway (old SAC base, I think). It’s basically a small Eastern Washington farming community a long drive from....
I don't think this site will stand up to Amazon's criteria.

Moses Lake is used by Boeing as a test site. Some of their customers have (or had) offices there. My cousin lives there with his family and is a pilot.

Why Moses Lake, are you from the area?

Thanks
Cary

I'm on the west side of the mountains. No matter which city is chosen, people will complain about more traffic congestion and housing prices literally skyrocketing even though they want the jobs.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

flyPIT

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:10 am

"Best Amazon H2Q Locations for Living"

Another great result for Pittsburgh by an independent survey.

http://www.magnifymoney.com/blog/news/ranked-best-finalists-amazons-newest-headquarters955893794/
FLYi

Tugger

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:19 pm

I love it:
Jamie Dimon wants the Jeff Bezos deal.

The CEO of JPMorgan Chase & Co., which employs more than 250,000 workers, said he’ll call the governor of whichever state Amazon.com Inc. picks for its second headquarters and try to get the same benefits.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ts-for-hq2

I think all CEO's and companies should do this. Demand teh same breaks as others from states or municipalities that offer them to business.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

bagoldex

Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:06 pm

flyPIT wrote:
"Best Amazon H2Q Locations for Living"

Another great result for Pittsburgh by an independent survey.

http://www.magnifymoney.com/blog/news/ranked-best-finalists-amazons-newest-headquarters955893794/

More like the best cities for a boring/sedate lifestyle on a low to moderate income. No thanks!

cledaybuck

Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:30 pm

Did ATL just kiss its chance goodbye with the Lt. Governor’s rant against DL?
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

einsteinboricua

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:58 am

cledaybuck wrote:
Did ATL just kiss its chance goodbye with the Lt. Governor’s rant against DL?

It would be interesting if Amazon said that and replaced Atlanta with the 11th place city...the one that missed the cut.

Sure enough, GA politicians will try to save face by saying "well, we didn't want you here anyway", but I'm certain a lot of Georgians will be sorely disappointed that the jobs won't benefit them.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."