noviorbis77
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:26 pm

par13del wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
No need to re-apply, just ask nicely if you can revoke your article 50 letter. Chances are that indeed the remaining EU-members will ask for something in return, so some of those exemptions will be gone for sure.

So far I have not seen any legal opinions on revocation, we do know that the articles do allow extensions if approved by all 20+ members.
So the UK leaves the EU but applies for extension while they negotiate on an annual basis, say two meetings per year, each to be discussed and approved by parliament before going to the next meeting, how many years that will take can be based on how long it took Canada to complete their deal.
In the interim, the UK will pay its bill, continue to abide by all EU rules and regs, but they will be out of the EU and Brexit will have been delivered.


I can’t see that happening.

Joining the Euro and Schengen area are not wanted in the UK.
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 2375
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:49 pm

Kestrel333 wrote:
In reality, no one really knows for sure whether the UK can simply revoke article 50 and carry on as normal.

Some UK politicians have said that we can't. The UK Supreme Court operates on the basis that we can't.


But UK politicians are currently in the mode of trying to look strong, trying to look like they can deliver Brexit, trying to act as if no Deal is a negotiating position and that there will be no going back.

Over the coming weeks and months as we get closer to the end date and the cries grow louder, this position may change.

In fact it will have to, as Parliament does not want a no deal, and currently a deal is not possible with the current government.

Somethings gonna have to give.
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 8108
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:23 pm

Richard28 wrote:
In fact it will have to, as Parliament does not want a no deal, and currently a deal is not possible with the current government.

Parliament does not want Brexit, the other stuff is just fluff to get to the final position...
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 6533
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:35 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
par13del wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
No need to re-apply, just ask nicely if you can revoke your article 50 letter. Chances are that indeed the remaining EU-members will ask for something in return, so some of those exemptions will be gone for sure.

So far I have not seen any legal opinions on revocation, we do know that the articles do allow extensions if approved by all 20+ members.
So the UK leaves the EU but applies for extension while they negotiate on an annual basis, say two meetings per year, each to be discussed and approved by parliament before going to the next meeting, how many years that will take can be based on how long it took Canada to complete their deal.
In the interim, the UK will pay its bill, continue to abide by all EU rules and regs, but they will be out of the EU and Brexit will have been delivered.


I can’t see that happening.

Joining the Euro and Schengen area are not wanted in the UK.


Neither can I, but this was more a theoretical discussion if the UK wanted to revoke it what would happen then.

Although I think Schengen is more based on feelings than real life I guess.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 6533
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:37 pm

Richard28 wrote:
Somethings gonna have to give.


Indeed, and that aint going to be the EU, they won't and can't give the UK what this government wants.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 2375
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:23 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Indeed, and that aint going to be the EU, they won't and can't give the UK what this government wants.

:checkmark:
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 15931
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:24 pm

Olddog wrote:
The EU has just to ask the UK to make a new referendum to prove they want to satay :)


I'm really not sure what chicken skewers and peanut sauce has to do with Brexit. :confused:

tommy1808 wrote:
There should be protocols to all Lisbon treaty negotiations that should contain the whole discussion regarding art. 50 intents and purposes. I fail to see how no one could have asked "What if a state wants to change his mind, like after an election?" during that time....


I've read articles written by constitutional lawyers who say that several EU Articles are very poorly written and lack clarity. Article 50 is among those. I can easily imagine it being written almost as an afterthought - "Oh, you know what, we ought to have an article to cover the situation where a member state is stupid enough to want to leave!" Everyone else in the room laughs.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 6533
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:28 pm

That is basically what happened, as I understand. No one ever thought it would be actually used.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
Arion640
Posts: 1840
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:14 pm

Dutchy wrote:
That is basically what happened, as I understand. No one ever thought it would be actually used.


And i’m extremely proud Britain is the first and probably not the last to be invoking article 50. We lead the way.

Also extremely childish tweets by Martin Selmayr tonight, just shows how silly EU officials are. Not something the UK wants to be associated with in the future. Tut tut.
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

Brexit - It’s time to take back control
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 6533
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:30 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
That is basically what happened, as I understand. No one ever thought it would be actually used.


And i’m extremely proud Britain is the first and probably not the last to be invoking article 50. We lead the way.

Also extremely childish tweets by Martin Selmayr tonight, just shows how silly EU officials are. Not something the UK wants to be associated with in the future. Tut tut.


Bye, bye, good luck in the big world as a small country.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
Arion640
Posts: 1840
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:35 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
That is basically what happened, as I understand. No one ever thought it would be actually used.


And i’m extremely proud Britain is the first and probably not the last to be invoking article 50. We lead the way.

Also extremely childish tweets by Martin Selmayr tonight, just shows how silly EU officials are. Not something the UK wants to be associated with in the future. Tut tut.


Bye, bye, good luck in the big world as a small country.


But a lot bigger than the Netherlands don’t forget. Why not just become part of Germany and start to fully Integrate the EU?
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

Brexit - It’s time to take back control
 
ElPistolero
Posts: 1629
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:44 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:38 pm

Arion640 wrote:

But a lot bigger than the Netherlands don’t forget. Why not just become part of Germany and start to fully Integrate the EU?


And China is a lot bigger than the UK. Bigger =/= better. The Netherlands performs better than the UK on quality life indicators. But then again, so does Germany.

That said, what are your thoughts about post-Brexit UK joining the United States of America?
 
Arion640
Posts: 1840
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:03 am

ElPistolero wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

But a lot bigger than the Netherlands don’t forget. Why not just become part of Germany and start to fully Integrate the EU?


And China is a lot bigger than the UK. Bigger =/= better. The Netherlands performs better than the UK on quality life indicators. But then again, so does Germany.

That said, what are your thoughts about post-Brexit UK joining the United States of America?


Not sure what quality of life has to do with anything?

If big = better like you say, the UK is the 5th best country in world by GDP!
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

Brexit - It’s time to take back control
 
Olddog
Topic Author
Posts: 749
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:07 am

You deserved theses tweets with your arrogant it's coming home....
 
Kestrel333
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:09 am

Arion640 wrote:
ElPistolero wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

But a lot bigger than the Netherlands don’t forget. Why not just become part of Germany and start to fully Integrate the EU?


And China is a lot bigger than the UK. Bigger =/= better. The Netherlands performs better than the UK on quality life indicators. But then again, so does Germany.

That said, what are your thoughts about post-Brexit UK joining the United States of America?


Not sure what quality of life has to do with anything?

If big = better like you say, the UK is the 5th best country in world by GDP!


I think they explicitly said big doesn’t equal better...
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 7265
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:10 am

Kestrel333 wrote:
In reality, no one really knows for sure whether the UK can simply revoke article 50 and carry on as normal.

Some UK politicians have said that we can't. The UK Supreme Court operates on the basis that we can't.

But the EU President has said we can revoke it. And the person who helped draft the article says we can as well. Though he says that some EU States might wish to make capital out of such a situation. More significantly, he said that the UK can't be forced to leave - suggesting that the other member states would not have to agree to the UK changing its mind.

So it's all a bit of an unknown. The evidence points to the UK being able to revoke Article 50 but how this would work is not clear.


Sure you can revoke, but imho for the EU it would mean that the end of the negotiations, to which the 26 countries would need to agree, would reinstate the old status of the UK. Which is likely considering how much money the UK wastes on the EU.
 
sevenair
Posts: 2686
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:54 am

easyJet adding six aircraft to MAN and LPL in addition to previous announced growth throughout the UK plus three new routes from BRS and BFS, two new routes from LTN and the UK will be the base for their first A321s which are arriving this year adding capacity.

#DespiteBrexit.
BeLeave in better.
 
Arion640
Posts: 1840
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:09 am

sevenair wrote:
easyJet adding six aircraft to MAN and LPL in addition to previous announced growth throughout the UK plus three new routes from BRS and BFS, two new routes from LTN and the UK will be the base for their first A321s which are arriving this year adding capacity.

#DespiteBrexit.


But we’re about to leave the European Union? A British business creating jobs and growth, surely this can’t be happening!! #remoanermeltdown
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

Brexit - It’s time to take back control
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 6533
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:18 am

Arion640 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

And i’m extremely proud Britain is the first and probably not the last to be invoking article 50. We lead the way.

Also extremely childish tweets by Martin Selmayr tonight, just shows how silly EU officials are. Not something the UK wants to be associated with in the future. Tut tut.


Bye, bye, good luck in the big world as a small country.


But a lot bigger than the Netherlands don’t forget. Why not just become part of Germany and start to fully Integrate the EU?


And the EU is a lot bigger than the UK. So if bigger is better, you should be pro-EU :lol:
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 2375
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:18 am

sevenair wrote:
#DespiteBrexit.


Arion640 wrote:
#remoanermeltdown


You missed a couple:

#wearestillintheEU

#planescanberedeployed
 
tommy1808
Posts: 8709
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:22 am

sevenair wrote:
easyJet adding six aircraft to MAN and LPL in addition to previous announced growth throughout the UK plus three new routes from BRS and BFS, two new routes from LTN and the UK will be the base for their first A321s which are arriving this year adding capacity.

#DespiteBrexit.


Ah, good.... i guess EasyJet has come to the conclusion that Brexit won´t happen. Or they came to the realization that planes can fly and be relocated rather quickly.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 2375
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:27 am

The new Brexit Secretary has admitted the UK will be shut out of future decision-making on trade regulations with the EU, under plans to be unveiled today.

Getting Sovereignty back?

No with Brexit we will be losing it!

#ExitBrexit
 
sevenair
Posts: 2686
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 am

In fact it's 29 new routes to and from Brexit Britain announced by easyJet. In addition to WIZZ expansion, Ryanair expansion and BA expansion. All despite brexit.

'Oh but the routes will end once we leave'.
BeLeave in better.
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 7265
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:37 am

Once sovereign again the economy will take-off and Britain will be the strongest economy in Europe. Co-operations are seeing this and preparing. #hardbrexitnow
 
sevenair
Posts: 2686
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:39 am

Arion640 wrote:
sevenair wrote:
easyJet adding six aircraft to MAN and LPL in addition to previous announced growth throughout the UK plus three new routes from BRS and BFS, two new routes from LTN and the UK will be the base for their first A321s which are arriving this yet adding capacity.

#DespiteBrexit.


But we’re about to leave the European Union? A British business creating jobs and growth, surely this can’t be happening!! #remoanermeltdown


Yup. They'll be hating it! They want to be proven right and therefore will take delight in anyone losing their jobs.

This expansion is all from remoanJet, the airline that told us they'd struggle and even wheeled in David Cameron into their orange lair to scare their employees into voting remain!

Oh and I believe they're also having their biggest ever recruitment drive and you guessed it, mainly for UK bases!
BeLeave in better.
 
sevenair
Posts: 2686
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:42 am

Richard28 wrote:
sevenair wrote:
#DespiteBrexit.


Arion640 wrote:
#remoanermeltdown


You missed a couple:

#wearestillintheEU

#planescanberedeployed


Quite. You miss the part about most routed being on sale for winter and for the period after we have left the EU! It must be sad to actually take pleasure in and willing for companies to fail and redeploy assets!

Speaking of deploying assets, does anyone know where the aircraft from closed EU bases or Hamburg and Rome went/are going? I see Bristol is a bigger base than ever before so perhaps one or two went there?

And with Jet2 parent profits up 27% and over a dozen aircraft added to the market by Jet2 one wonders where they'll be redeployed to? Perhaps Boeing will take back the new craft?
BeLeave in better.
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 2375
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:34 am

sevenair wrote:
Quite. You miss the part about most routed being on sale for winter and for the period after we have left the EU! It must be sad to actually take pleasure in and willing for companies to fail and redeploy assets!

Speaking of deploying assets, does anyone know where the aircraft from closed EU bases or Hamburg and Rome went/are going? I see Bristol is a bigger base than ever before so perhaps one or two went there?

And with Jet2 parent profits up 27% and over a dozen aircraft added to the market by Jet2 one wonders where they'll be redeployed to? Perhaps Boeing will take back the new craft?


I really have difficulty with your ability to grasp this sevenair.

We are still in the EU, and thus planes fly and business models are currently unaffected.

Businesses have taken contingency actions already to minimise damage (e.g. easyJet Asutria) and may also take the view that a deal will be reached, in which case hopefully damage will be minimised and planes can continue to fly, in the meantime they press on with expansion plans - shareholders demand this.

However, should a deal not be reached then this is a big potential problem for airlines, based on route permissions, certifications, legal issues etc. All airlines will have had brexit impact studies done by their boards and have a plan B which could rewind this expansion (and more) very quickly - again shareholders would demand this.

Airlines continue to fly and exapnd now through being in the EU until March 2019 - after this it is dependent upon the government and parliament to strike a deal of some sort which is far from clear.

So current success is based on the EU and future position is jeopardised by not being in it.

This is far from being "#despitebrexit"

Most airlines I'm sure would cherish an #exitbrexit for their businesses.
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 7265
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:36 am

It is surely pure coincidence that such news brakes only after the strongest Brexiteers in the cabinet have resigned and that a BRINO looks possible.
 
Arion640
Posts: 1840
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:38 pm

seahawk wrote:
Once sovereign again the economy will take-off and Britain will be the strongest economy in Europe. Co-operations are seeing this and preparing. #hardbrexitnow


They are indeed. What a great country Britain is, I love living here.
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

Brexit - It’s time to take back control
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 8108
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:51 pm

It is said often that the EU is not a country or a superstate, why it is being compared now to a country, and yes we know that it is more than a trading bloc, as also stated.
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 8108
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:56 pm

ElPistolero wrote:
That said, what are your thoughts about post-Brexit UK joining the United States of America?

Why the USA, why not something much closer geographically and or politically, why not a part of Norway, Sweden, India, China even Russia, the USA is not politically aligned by its structures to the UK, they are after all a republic who had a little war of independence. How about Canada, they are a former colony and a current member of the Commonwealth.
If we are to engage the benefits of Brexit with the UK being so small compared to the rest of the world, they could join any of them.
 
ElPistolero
Posts: 1629
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:44 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:20 pm

Arion640 wrote:
ElPistolero wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

But a lot bigger than the Netherlands don’t forget. Why not just become part of Germany and start to fully Integrate the EU?


And China is a lot bigger than the UK. Bigger =/= better. The Netherlands performs better than the UK on quality life indicators. But then again, so does Germany.

That said, what are your thoughts about post-Brexit UK joining the United States of America?


Not sure what quality of life has to do with anything?

If big = better like you say, the UK is the 5th best country in world by GDP!


Not sure what size has to do with anything?

India's pretty close to replacing the UK as the fifth biggest economy.
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 2375
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:22 pm

So the white paper has been issued... 100 pages to go through...

some gems I've seen so far:

- end "free" movement and introduce a "Mobility" arrangement
- "take control of our borders" but not put up a border
- Leave the Single Market that covers nearly all our trade and implement a free trade area covering less than 20% of our trade
- take control of UK fishing, but we still want to sell all our fish tariff/quota free to EU :roll:


so much cherry picking, no respect for the four pillars, parliament will not accept it, such a waste of time!
 
ElPistolero
Posts: 1629
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:44 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:28 pm

par13del wrote:
ElPistolero wrote:
That said, what are your thoughts about post-Brexit UK joining the United States of America?

Why the USA, why not something much closer geographically and or politically, why not a part of Norway, Sweden, India, China even Russia, the USA is not politically aligned by its structures to the UK, they are after all a republic who had a little war of independence. How about Canada, they are a former colony and a current member of the Commonwealth.
If we are to engage the benefits of Brexit with the UK being so small compared to the rest of the world, they could join any of them.


Big market for U.K. goods. The hard Brexiteers want to get rid of EU regulations/Customs Union, which means they'll have to adopt US regulations for any meaningful new trade deal to make up for loss of access to SM.

Besides, "special" relationship.
 
Arion640
Posts: 1840
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:55 pm

Richard28 wrote:
So the white paper has been issued... 100 pages to go through...

some gems I've seen so far:

- end "free" movement and introduce a "Mobility" arrangement
- "take control of our borders" but not put up a border
- Leave the Single Market that covers nearly all our trade and implement a free trade area covering less than 20% of our trade
- take control of UK fishing, but we still want to sell all our fish tariff/quota free to EU :roll:


so much cherry picking, no respect for the four pillars, parliament will not accept it, such a waste of time!


The last two points are excellent.

Not sure if you noticed by the UK is an island and Nothern Ireland isn’t allowed a border with ireland, so there you have it.
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

Brexit - It’s time to take back control
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 2375
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:20 pm

Arion640 wrote:

Not sure if you noticed by the UK is an island and Nothern Ireland isn’t allowed a border with ireland, so there you have it.


err.. yes this has been the subject of countless posts.... as I mentioned earlier in the week :

Richard28 wrote:
At the end of the day, they will have to deliver one of the following:

1) Irish Border (not compatible with Good Friday agreement, or December 2017 policy)
2) North Sea Border (not compatible with Tory policy or DUP)
3) Close relationship with the EU (not compatible with Tory Red Lines, or hard right members)


We're heading down route number 3, but there are a load more concessions yet to come.....
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 2375
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:32 pm

ElPistolero wrote:
Big market for U.K. goods. The hard Brexiteers want to get rid of EU regulations/Customs Union, which means they'll have to adopt US regulations for any meaningful new trade deal to make up for loss of access to SM.

Besides, "special" relationship.


Which means we're a vassal state to the USA rather than the EU. - much better to have a say in matters - i.e. stay in the EU.

You also have to factor in geographical bias to trade. If I am buying a product and can source it from the Denmark or from Hong Kong, then if and the price is right, I'll get it from Denmark- cheaper to deliver, quicker to deliver, no customs issues.

In the advent of a USA trade deal then the same is true for potential USA customers - being so far away the UK is at a disadvantage, so in many areas will need to undercut on price to overcome shipping costs, time delays and delivery risks.

Much better keep a good trade deal with your neighbour/EU
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 2375
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:38 pm

Arion640, do you not also see the irony of your position?

You seem to be:

a) Happy to leave the Single Market, covering all our trade, to a free trade area covering less than 20%, and why? because you do not want free movement of people and restrict immigration, but then

b) You are quite happy having no border in place between the EU and the UK.


Do you not see how these two positions are intellectually incompatible?
 
Arion640
Posts: 1840
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:54 pm

It would be great to see mr farage in action again. Bravo to him for being a true great British patriot.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 39436.html
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

Brexit - It’s time to take back control
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 2375
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:07 pm

Arion640 wrote:
It would be great to see mr farage in action again. Bravo to him for being a true great British patriot.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 39436.html


He still hasn't got a solution for the Northern Ireland Border has he.... :lol:

Was UKIP leader for 9 years and neither he nor his predecessors or successors have even bothered to consider a solution for this or an actual strategy.


p.s. I am a patriot too, or is this title only reserved for your side of the argument?
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 8108
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:24 pm

[quote="ElPistolero"] which means they'll have to adopt US regulations for any meaningful new trade deal to make up for loss of access to SM.
/quote]
...but why the fixation on the US regulations, the EU is made up of nations who trade with non-EU nations on a daily basis, why is the UK so special that they must either trade
as a EU member or have no trade?
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 8108
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:28 pm

Richard28 wrote:
You also have to factor in geographical bias to trade. If I am buying a product and can source it from the Denmark or from Hong Kong, then if and the price is right, I'll get it from Denmark- cheaper to deliver, quicker to deliver, no customs issues.
In the advent of a USA trade deal then the same is true for potential USA customers - being so far away the UK is at a disadvantage, so in many areas will need to undercut on price to overcome shipping costs, time delays and delivery risks.

...which makes all the trade data put out by Project Fear, the Brexiters and the Big Red Bus so confusing, they all seem to indicate that the UK does as a member of the EU have significant trade with the USA, Canada and other non-EU countries, based on what is being discussed now, is all of that Fake News?
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 15931
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:35 pm

Arion640 wrote:
It would be great to see mr farage in action again. Bravo to him for being a true great British patriot.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 39436.html


Return to lead a political party with, let's count them, zero MPs? A man who has failed miserably to ever get himself elected as an MP? Go for it Nige!

Richard28 wrote:
He still hasn't got a solution for the Northern Ireland Border has he....

Was UKIP leader for 9 years and neither he nor his predecessors or successors have even bothered to consider a solution for this or an actual strategy.


Like all the other "leading" Brexiteers he's nothing but bluster and flag waving. Not a single solution to any of the issues us leaving the EU presents. Never mind, let's go for another photo-op with a fag and a pint. :banghead:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 2375
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:46 pm

par13del wrote:
[
...which makes all the trade data put out by Project Fear, the Brexiters and the Big Red Bus so confusing, they all seem to indicate that the UK does as a member of the EU have significant trade with the USA, Canada and other non-EU countries, based on what is being discussed now, is all of that Fake News?


No this is not fake news, but what they want is for the US trade to increase and make up for the potential drop off in EU trade.

All projections show this is Unicorn fantasy land.
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 2375
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:48 pm

scbriml wrote:
Return to lead a political party with, let's count them, zero MPs? A man who has failed miserably to ever get himself elected as an MP? Go for it Nige!


And no MEP's either from March!

They are a party of no significance with merely xenophobic policy strap lines and no policy or workable strategy whatsoever.
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 2375
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:50 pm

scbriml wrote:
Never mind, let's go for another photo-op with a fag and a pint. :banghead:


Don't forget the fish scbriml !!, its all about the 0.5% GDP Fish (and not the 80% GDP Services economy)
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 2375
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:59 pm

Image
Lloyds of London meanwhile are not happy with the latest white paper.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44805565

One of Britain's oldest and cherished institutions says this paper will speed up EU relocation plans

Deliberately leaving out 80% of our economy from a trade agreement - you have to ask yourself what is going on and why....
 
ZaphodHarkonnen
Posts: 758
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:20 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:02 pm

Its more amazing as the thing that really grew as part of being in the EU is the services economy. Financial and IT being the biggest of that very large pie. There's a reason that the vast majority of IT companies and startups in the EU have a presence in the UK. Brexit is only just going to cut the legs off that part of the economy. Kill it? Probably not entirely, but places like Berlin, Frankfurt, Paris, and Dublin are going to be huge winners.
 
Arion640
Posts: 1840
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Richard28 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Never mind, let's go for another photo-op with a fag and a pint. :banghead:


Don't forget the fish scbriml !!, its all about the 0.5% GDP Fish (and not the 80% GDP Services economy)


I’m sure if you and your family were fishermen/women you would have different view.

Also don’t forget not everything should revolve around the city of london.
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

Brexit - It’s time to take back control
 
ElPistolero
Posts: 1629
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:44 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:38 pm

par13del wrote:
ElPistolero wrote:
which means they'll have to adopt US regulations for any meaningful new trade deal to make up for loss of access to SM.
/quote]
...but why the fixation on the US regulations, the EU is made up of nations who trade with non-EU nations on a daily basis, why is the UK so special that they must either trade
as a EU member or have no trade?


"No trade"? Clearly says "meaningful new trade deal to make up for the loss of access to the SM". Doesn't say anything about no trade.

Not sure if you don't read before responding or if you're trying to create a straw man.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dutchy, einsteinboricua, mmo, Mortyman, Scorpius, stratclub, tommy1808, WildcatYXU and 16 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos