Topic Author

Florida to go Daylight Savings time year-round

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:32 am

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING

Friday and Saturday may be our last day of Standard Time :x

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/07/us/flori ... index.html

8 things to consider----
http://wfla.com/2018/03/08/8-things-to- ... n-florida/

Trying to keep my TV times will be frustrating...so now, everything airing early Nov to Early March will be an hour later ????

Adjustments you'll have to make:
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/a ... 42499.html

Why it's a BAD idea:
http://www.miami.com/funny-stories/flor ... ss-184636/

They just voted...no input from the citizens :roll:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Brick

Re: Florida to go Daylight Savings time year-round

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:45 am

1) Your subject line is incorrect. This is not a done deal yet.
2) Arizona and Hawaii stay on the same time all year round and everyone there continues to lead normal lives.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

scbriml

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:53 am

727LOVER wrote:
ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING

There are so many things wrong in the World that you should be really angry about.

This is so far down the list, it shouldn't even register. :sarcastic:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

jetero

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:08 am

Brick wrote:
2) Arizona and Hawaii stay on the same time all year round and everyone there continues to lead normal lives.

Actually this would be the first instance of a state sticking with daylight savings, ie not observing standard time.

jetero

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:10 am

scbriml wrote:
727LOVER wrote:
ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING

There are so many things wrong in the World that you should be really angry about.

This is so far down the list, it shouldn't even register. :sarcastic:

I feel for 727LOVER ... Florida will be 1 hour ahead of the entire East Coast for 4 months a year. And the decision was arguably unilaterally decided by elected officials.

Airline schedules probably won’t change so 6am departures will become 7am departures but 9pm arrivals will be 10pm arrivals.

SNL would be Sunday Morning Live, starting at 0030?!?!

einsteinboricua

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:04 pm

Talk about a first world problem. For the 24 years I lived in PR I had to adjust to US programming as PR didn't observe DST (that meant programming would be an hour later during standard time).

The horror! :eek: :eek:

I would love it if we could stop the clock change. There's no benefit to DST except "more daylight in the summer". Just make the switch permanent and see how that works out.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

LittleFokker

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:35 pm

Daylight Savings Time is dumb, but having a few states not do it while the rest of the country does is even dumber. I lived in Phoenix for a year and a half, and my job operated on a national scope. When DST adjustment rolls around, sure, we didn't have to change our clocks, but TV show start times changed, my schedule had to be adjusted by an hour, and it's more of a hassle than changing the clocks.

This is another issue that shouldn't be decided by the States. Federal Standard, now.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

casinterest

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:50 pm

I like DST. In the summers without it, i would be getting up way to early when daylight hits like an anvil. However I like Standard time in the winter, as it stays dark way to late in the mornings to get stuff done.

I think the time changes should go back to a more even distribution of DST and standard time.

For Puerto Rico and southern Florida, the difference isnt' quite as noticeable as they are closer to the equator, or their days and nights aren't quite like the northern folks as the wobble from solstice to solstice occurs.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

c933103

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:04 pm

casinterest wrote:
I like DST. In the summers without it, i would be getting up way to early when daylight hits like an anvil. However I like Standard time in the winter, as it stays dark way to late in the mornings to get stuff done.

I think the time changes should go back to a more even distribution of DST and standard time.

For Puerto Rico and southern Florida, the difference isnt' quite as noticeable as they are closer to the equator, or their days and nights aren't quite like the northern folks as the wobble from solstice to solstice occurs.

In my opinion, if people think the regular time is too early during summer, then shop/business/etc can always dynamically adjust their time and so as people's life cycle, that would be simpler and more flexible than having everyone switching the clock by an hour together

PixelPilot

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:07 pm

So much tears about having to adjust clock not to miss TV show... a TV Show... a show on TV...
I don't even know what to say but ROFL!
Last edited by PixelPilot on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

L410Turbolet

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Meanwhile...

European Union may end daylight saving time across 27 member states

"MEPs have called for the European Commission, the central body which is responsible for proposing EU policy, to consider abolishing DST, which means clocks go forward one hour in Spring and back in the Autumn to ensure extra evening daylight in the summer and extra morning daylight in winter."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 03446.html

Let's see if the EU Politburo does something actually useful for once.

c933103

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:39 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
Meanwhile...

"MEPs have called for the European Commission, the central body which is responsible for proposing EU policy, to consider abolishing DST, which means clocks go forward one hour in Spring and back in the Autumn to ensure extra evening daylight in the summer and extra morning daylight in winter."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 03446.html

Permanent DST can also be seen as an end to DST, when you view the DST time as a new standard

einsteinboricua

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:45 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
Meanwhile...

I didn't know the EU mandated DST. I thought each country was sovereign to change its clocks as it pleased. It can't be that EU policy is what is dictating that continental Europe be on the same time zone minus Portugal (UTC), Finland, the Baltic sisters, Cyprus, and Greece (all UTC+2).

Tugger

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:52 pm

casinterest wrote:

For me I definitely prefer DST and would like it to become the "standard time" year round. The extra daylight at the end of the day is far better to me than the darker mornings. I definitely don't want DST to be ended.

But that is me.

c933103 wrote:
In my opinion, if people think the regular time is too early during summer, then shop/business/etc can always dynamically adjust their time and so as people's life cycle, that would be simpler and more flexible than having everyone switching the clock by an hour together

You can't actually "just switch time" on your own, to your own life cycle. Schools, businesses, sports activities, midnight deadlines, study groups, meetings, etc. are all locked to a standard time. You either follow it or live out of sync with everyone around you.

Again for me (I don't pretend to speak for everyone else) I am fine with the dark in the morning. I don't need daylight to drive to work and get started with my daily tasks (lights in the building really help :biggrin: ). And coming home having more evening daylight is just nicer and I get more done.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

treetreeseven

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:00 pm

It needs to be summer time year round IMO. But either way, the time change has long outlived whatever highly dubious usefulness it ever had and needs to be abolished. It's associated with a spike in accidents, and it's surprisingly disruptive to people with circadian rhythm issues, which are more common than one might think.

CCGPV

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:24 pm

I wish they'd change it so its light until 9-10PM year round.

Who cares if its dark at 8AM?
Stay curious

cjg225

Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:02 pm

CCGPV wrote:

People commuting after having rolled out of bed not that long ago?
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

vikkyvik

Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:11 pm

Tugger wrote:
For me I definitely prefer DST and would like it to become the "standard time" year round.

treetreeseven wrote:
It needs to be summer time year round IMO.

Agreed. I love DST, and hate standard time during the winter.

cjg225 wrote:

I start my drive at 6 AM every morning. And I'm not a morning person - it's difficult to get up every single morning.

But the evening drives home are far worse, in terms of being tired, and darkness doesn't help.

But of course everyone is different.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

CCGPV

Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:26 pm

cjg225 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

What does that matter? So you're commuting in the morning in the dark rather than in the evenings when you can actually go out and enjoy being outside. It would be much better to have some light in the evenings rather than it being pitch black an hour before you even get off work.
Stay curious

StarAC17

Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:53 pm

jetero wrote:
Brick wrote:

Actually this would be the first instance of a state sticking with daylight savings, ie not observing standard time.

Yes so if Florida did this then it would effectively be on Atlantic Standard Time (GMT-4) and for computers and cell phones that is likely how they will have to be programmed.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

einsteinboricua

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:08 pm

CCGPV wrote:

I certainly don't mind it, but I'm confident some parents are not gonna be in the mood to leave their kids in pitch black darkness to wait for the school bus. It's one of the arguments against permanent DST, especially from the northern states. Maybe at 7am in Florida during the Winter Solstice there are some rays of sun whereas in Maine, it would be dark until probably 8am or beyond.

coolian2

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:17 pm

I swear to god, daylight savings is the dumbest damn hill some people choose to die on.

Anything that keeps it lighter, later wins in my books.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

CCGPV

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:43 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

I certainly don't mind it, but I'm confident some parents are not gonna be in the mood to leave their kids in pitch black darkness to wait for the school bus. It's one of the arguments against permanent DST, especially from the northern states. Maybe at 7am in Florida during the Winter Solstice there are some rays of sun whereas in Maine, it would be dark until probably 8am or beyond.

Do they not in most of the country anyway? It was dark when I went to school most of the year.
Stay curious

910A

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:02 pm

Since this idea needs the approval of Congress, consider it dead..

jetero

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:34 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
jetero wrote:
Brick wrote:

Yes so if Florida did this then it would effectively be on Atlantic Standard Time (GMT-4) and for computers and cell phones that is likely how they will have to be programmed.

Yes, I guess you’re right, like PR and the USVI. Arizona is always on MST, so that’s straightforward.

casinterest

Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:03 am

c933103 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Time switches are so automated these days Remember the days of setting all the clocks?

Now all I have to do is set the stove, microwave, and cars. Everything else is automatic.

I just know that time should shift in the winter. I remember going to British columbia once in the winter, and wondered why the ski lifts closed at 3:30. At 4:00, i understood.

Darkness and mood have a connection, and I do think keeping it lighter later is the best way to go, but I also think a sunny morning matters.

einsteinboricua

Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:02 pm

casinterest wrote:
I also think a sunny morning matters.

It would be interesting to fund a study on mood changes between dark mornings and sunny mornings.

To me it makes no difference since I'm tucked away in the corner of the building where there are no windows (only a select few on the other side have even a glance outside). Since I come in to work (very early I might add) and immediately enclose myself, it's not a big deal. Sunny evenings, however, are a boon as I'm able to take in a few rays of sun. In other words, I would benefit greatly from evening sunlight as opposed to morning sunlight.

Aesma

Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:14 pm

Summer time all the time !

I don't mind the dark in the morning, I even like it on occasion, seems the day starts slower, a bit more relaxed.

I hate the dark in the afternoon though, I get sleepy way to early and get nothing done.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:17 pm

casinterest wrote:
Now all I have to do is set the stove, microwave, and cars. Everything else is automatic.

Appliance clocks rely on grid frequency for their base clock. Since some months there is an "electric war" going on between Kosovo and Serbia, and as a result the entire European grid's frequency is slightly below the standard 50Hz. Hence millions of clocks are running late by a few minutes !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

golfradio

Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:28 pm

910A wrote:
Since this idea needs the approval of Congress, consider it dead..

Just curious, why would Congress care either way?

Good for Florida. I wish Ontario would get away from this nonsense.
CSeries forever. Bring back the old site.

einsteinboricua

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:04 am

golfradio wrote:
Just curious, why would Congress care either way?

Because Congress passed the Uniform Time Act by dictating when DST began and ended. States are NOT required, however, to observe DST but any exemptions should be approved by Congress since it's a deviation of their time zone.

The exemptions have usually been to NOT observe DST. Florida's case will be unique in that it is requesting to observe it year-round. The US will have 7 time zones ranging from UTC-4 (AST) to UTC-10 (HST).

DIRECTFLT

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:16 pm

Does anybody really know what time it is ???

https://youtu.be/xoJpyYu_NMk
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Tugger

Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:13 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Well I must say, for once I 100% agree with you! :bigthumbsup:

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

DIRECTFLT

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:11 am

Tugger wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Well I must say, for once I 100% agree with you! :bigthumbsup:

Tugg

It's time to listen to some great music from the Motherload that was the late '60's to the late '70's. 8-)
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

c933103

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:19 am

If FL adopt permanent DST then...
PR and USVI will always be same time as FL despite being further east
Florida Panhandle, if also observe permanent DST, would also result in its own special rule..

einsteinboricua

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:03 am

c933103 wrote:
If FL adopt permanent DST then...
PR and USVI will always be same time as FL despite being further east
Florida Panhandle, if also observe permanent DST, would also result in its own special rule..

I don't see anything wrong with that. Look at Argentina which would normally be under UTC-4 and UTC-5, yet the entire country is on UTC-3. Look at Sudan and South Sudan. While the former is at UTC+2, the latter is at UTC+3, despite its easternmost point being roughly at the same distance as Sudan's mean center. Heck...all of Russia's time zones observe at least one timezone ahead of where they're supposed to be.

In FLorida's case, the panhandle region will be aligned with EST...so a drive to AL will result in a one hour change during standard time.

Kiwirob

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:19 am

casinterest wrote:

Both my cars set the time automatically.

casinterest

Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:40 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Cool. Any internet connected or well programmed device can do it.

But as expected, my jog yesterday morning at 7:00 A.M started in the dark.

c933103

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:53 pm

casinterest wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Please don't forget there are people behind all these automations and in order to properly implement it now developers of everything would need to take DST into accounts even if they are just making a program for a car...

casinterest

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:43 pm

c933103 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Please don't forget there are people behind all these automations and in order to properly implement it now developers of everything would need to take DST into accounts even if they are just making a program for a car...

I have written DST code. Not to complicated. However it is a nice to have item. Most simple clocks will not have access to storage for variables/DST configs. However anything running on an OS with basic memory can do DST.

cledaybuck

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:46 pm

CCGPV wrote:
cjg225 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

What does that matter? So you're commuting in the morning in the dark rather than in the evenings when you can actually go out and enjoy being outside. It would be much better to have some light in the evenings rather than it being pitch black an hour before you even get off work.
Because on Friday, I commuted to work both ways in daylight. Today, it was pitch dark when I left. I also find it much easier to wake up when it isn't pitch dark out. Obviously everyone's schedules are different.

Kiwirob

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:46 pm

casinterest wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
casinterest wrote:

It’s set through the navigation system.

cledaybuck

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:50 pm

casinterest wrote:

This is how I feel too. I like the dates we used to use before it was changed sometime in the Bush administration though.

einsteinboricua

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:36 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
casinterest wrote:

This is how I feel too. I like the dates we used to use before it was changed sometime in the Bush administration though.

Back then it was about 7 months for DST and 5 for standard time. With the 2007 extension, we get about 8 months of DST vs 4 of standard. Congress should just make it official already and brings us year-long DST...maybe as a trial to see what happens.

Don't ski resorts stand to gain from an extra hour of daylight in the winter?

cjg225

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:47 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
Because on Friday, I commuted to work both ways in daylight. Today, it was pitch dark when I left. I also find it much easier to wake up when it isn't pitch dark out. Obviously everyone's schedules are different.

Agreed. I hate commuting to work in the dark. Coming home, it's really not that bad. Yes, it's after the work day, but at least my mind has been running all day. In the morning, in the dark, my mind just wants to go back to sleep. I'm sure lots of people are like that. In the morning, people are guzzling caffeinated beverages to wake up, and the dark doesn't help.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

cledaybuck

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:55 pm

cjg225 wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:

Agreed. I hate commuting to work in the dark. Coming home, it's really not that bad. Yes, it's after the work day, but at least my mind has been running all day. In the morning, in the dark, my mind just wants to go back to sleep. I'm sure lots of people are like that. In the morning, people are guzzling caffeinated beverages to wake up, and the dark doesn't help.
It is always light out when I come home with my schedule (8-5), so I don't have that problem either which probably influences my perspective.

cledaybuck

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:00 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Back then it was about 7 months for DST and 5 for standard time. With the 2007 extension, we get about 8 months of DST vs 4 of standard. Congress should just make it official already and brings us year-long DST...maybe as a trial to see what happens.

I'm not sure I would like it not getting light until 9 am in the winter. The "extra daylight" doesn't do me much good here as the weather is crappy enough that time of year that I don't want to be outside anyway. Other parts of the country probably have different perspectives (different locations within the time zone too). At least Indiana fixed itself.

coolian2

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:28 pm

When I worked days I hated going home in the dark.

Going in at dawn feels like you're waking up with the city and I felt it was energising.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

NIKV69

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:31 pm

Brick wrote:
1) Your subject line is incorrect. This is not a done deal yet.

Except in Bullhead City where in winter there is a hour difference from Nevada and them! :banghead:
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

scbriml

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:46 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

Changing the clocks doesn't gain any additional daylight. Daylight can start earlier or finish later, but you only get the same amount of it. In the most northerly parts of the UK, the shortest day of the year features less than six hours of daylight. It really doesn't matter whether the sun comes up at 07:45, 08:45 or 09:45 - less than six hours later it's dark again.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.