einsteinboricua

Re: Florida to go Daylight Savings time year-round

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:16 am

scbriml wrote:
Changing the clocks doesn't gain any additional daylight. Daylight can start earlier or finish later, but you only get the same amount of it. In the most northerly parts of the UK, the shortest day of the year features less than six hours of daylight. It really doesn't matter whether the sun comes up at 07:45, 08:45 or 09:45 - less than six hours later it's dark again.

When the sun sets, on average, at about 5pm in the US during the winter months, moving sunset by an hour helps. If in the morning hours we're gonna be inside anyway, might as well sleep in on the weekends.

I gotta say, after 4 years of clock changing, I prefer the light in the evening. I don't mind commuting to work in the dark (I do so anyway all the time); but I need to feel like there's still daytime left when I go back home.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

flyingclrs727

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:19 pm

jetero wrote:
Brick wrote:
2) Arizona and Hawaii stay on the same time all year round and everyone there continues to lead normal lives.

Actually this would be the first instance of a state sticking with daylight savings, ie not observing standard time.

I'm not sure that's legal.

flyingclrs727

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:23 pm

scbriml wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
Don't ski resorts stand to gain from an extra hour of daylight in the winter?

Changing the clocks doesn't gain any additional daylight. Daylight can start earlier or finish later, but you only get the same amount of it. In the most northerly parts of the UK, the shortest day of the year features less than six hours of daylight. It really doesn't matter whether the sun comes up at 07:45, 08:45 or 09:45 - less than six hours later it's dark again.

But you can adjust the distribution if daylight relative to work, school, and transportation schedules.

flyingclrs727

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:31 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
casinterest wrote:
I like DST. In the summers without it, i would be getting up way to early when daylight hits like an anvil. However I like Standard time in the winter, as it stays dark way to late in the mornings to get stuff done.

I think the time changes should go back to a more even distribution of DST and standard time.
This is how I feel too. I like the dates we used to use before it was changed sometime in the Bush administration though.

Back then it was about 7 months for DST and 5 for standard time. With the 2007 extension, we get about 8 months of DST vs 4 of standard. Congress should just make it official already and brings us year-long DST...maybe as a trial to see what happens.

We had that experiment in the 70's after the first OPEC oil embargo as an energy conservation measure. It was very unpopular among parents of small children who had to walk to school or to school bus stops in the dark.

The US also had year round DST called, "War Time" during WWII, but it was discontinued after the war ended.

jakubz

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:57 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

But you can adjust the distribution if daylight relative to work, school, and transportation schedules.

Granted, this is from wikipedia, but it seems like the only choice a state has in DST is whether or not it is observed, but not when DST starts or ends.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_in_the_United_States#Procedure_for_modifications
KORD>RJAA>KORD day trip? Why not! The beauty of non-reving.
Yes, I use ICAO codes
Flown: PA-28, PA-38
Passenger on: A319/A320 737, 747-400, 757, 767, 777, 787-8/9
Finally got on a 747!

I work for United Airlines, but I don't speak for the company.

cledaybuck

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:01 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Congress should just make it official already and brings us year-long DST...maybe as a trial to see what happens.
You could just move within the time zone. There close to an hour difference from one side to the other. :D

Brick

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:17 pm

I'm so tired of hearing about "think of the children!" "What about the children that walk to school?" Well I have news for you, kids don't walk to school any longer. I drive by an elementary school every day on my way to work about 20 minutes before classes start and I see a kid actually walking to school about once or twice a month....and always accompanied by mom. 98% of kids are dropped off by the SUV brigade or the school bus.

30 years ago, yes a lot of kids walked to school. Not so much in most areas of the United States in this day and age.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

GDB

Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:24 am

There is a Congressman who is concerned about this, though he's fictional but such an idiot not so unrealistic these days, never mind Congress he'd fit in at the current White House;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyWr7XRiyVM