Dutchy

Re: Trump fires Tillerson; Pompeo to replace him

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:03 am

And a denier of human-induced global warming. Yes America's future is bright.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

jetwet1

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:42 am

seb146 wrote:
Here is a shock to no one at all:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/30/politics ... index.html

From the article ...Pompeo once again warned that Russia will attempt to meddle in the 2018 US midterm elections..."

And he met with Russian spies.

Just to play devils advocate a little, we actually elected a head spy as our (the US) President...

CCGPV

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:11 pm

B777LRF wrote:
Russia 'elected' a spy to be their head of state, now the US has placed a spy as their most prominent foreign official, whilst placing a torturer as their new head of spying. If someone had put that plot in a novel, they'd be laughed out of town.

Mike Pompeo isn't a spy. He was a congressman and then the head of the CIA.

The new head of the CIA was a spy and has been in the upper management of the CIA for decades. Hardly a shocker really.
Stay curious

seb146

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:41 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

From the article ...Pompeo once again warned that Russia will attempt to meddle in the 2018 US midterm elections..."

Just to play devils advocate a little, we actually elected a head spy as our (the US) President...

I need a clarification on this. Are you saying that tRump was/is a spy? Or are you saying that, in the past, there was a spy elected president? I see tRump more as a pawn than a spy. A spy has to have some self censorship and be intelligent with information.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

StarAC17

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:51 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
I'm doubly disappointed - firstly because Tillerson was a level-headed and competent individual who, while not always publicly visible, was doing good work. My second disappointment is that the obvious choice for his replacement, Ambassador Nikki Haley, was not tapped for the role.

He might have been level headed and not completely crazy like Trump but there is a lot of valid criticism of Tillerson. The fact that he happened to like the deals that were in place before trump shows that he is a critical thinker and far more intelligent than Trump. Saying that the department of state is understaffed and there are a lot of ambassador seats still open, this is a very important government department to maintain relations with US allies and other global powers.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

tommy1808

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:14 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
Saying that the department of state is understaffed and there are a lot of ambassador seats still open, this is a very important government department to maintain relations with US allies and other global powers.

Interestingly understaffed at least in parts because Trump didn't the time approve his picks.

Side note, the Secretary of defense doesn't think cutting funds to the state department saves money, as he would have to buy more ammunition.

Best regards
Best
This Singature is a safe space......

ER757

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:32 pm

seb146 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I need a clarification on this. Are you saying that tRump was/is a spy? Or are you saying that, in the past, there was a spy elected president? I see tRump more as a pawn than a spy. A spy has to have some self censorship and be intelligent with information.

Bush I was head of the CIA prior to being POTUS - I am sure that is what he was referring to

BartSimpson

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:37 pm

seb146 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

He was certainly referring to Geoge H.W. Bush.

Kiwirob

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:07 pm

DfwRevolution wrote:
scbriml wrote:
DfwRevolution wrote:

What is remotely "damning" about this statement? That's an entirely innocuous well wish. Talk about TDS.

Seriously, you've never heard the expression before? :shock:

Damning with faint praise - saying something that sounds like a compliment, but really isn't.:

I understand the expression. Why are you assuming Trump's comment is insincere?

It's perfectly normal to thank someone when they are leaving a role.

You do realise that he was just fired don’t you, or did that go over your head???

Dutchy

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:09 pm

The people are jumping ship....
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Kiwirob

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:10 pm

Dutchy wrote:
And he's gone..............

Is there anybody left in this administration?

There’s Trump and his kids, they’ll do a bang up job.

Jouhou

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:11 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
And he's gone..............

Is there anybody left in this administration?

There’s Trump and his kids, they’ll do a bang up job.

What a dumpster fire this admin is.

Tugger

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:12 pm

Happily Pompeo's chance to actually be Sec of State is now tougher:
Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) said on Wednesday he would oppose President Trump's nominations of CIA Director Mike Pompeo to be secretary of State and CIA Deputy Director Gina Haspel to lead the spy agency.

Paul said that he will oppose the nominations and "do everything I can to block" them.

"My announcement today is that I will oppose both Pompeo's nomination and Haspel's nomination," Paul said.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3783 ... peo-haspel

I am hoping the nomination is successfully blocked (for both).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

MaverickM11

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:32 pm

Tugger wrote:
Happily Pompeo's chance to actually be Sec of State is now tougher:
Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) said on Wednesday he would oppose President Trump's nominations of CIA Director Mike Pompeo to be secretary of State and CIA Deputy Director Gina Haspel to lead the spy agency.

Paul said that he will oppose the nominations and "do everything I can to block" them.

"My announcement today is that I will oppose both Pompeo's nomination and Haspel's nomination," Paul said.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3783 ... peo-haspel

Tugg

Ohmigod knock me over with a feather--someone in the GOP found a scruple:

""I'm perplexed by the nomination of people who love the Iraq War so much that they would advocate for a war with Iran next. I think it goes against most of the things President Trump campaigned on," he said. "
E pur si muove -Galileo

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Tugger wrote:

Tugg

A nomination can't be blocked if it's not formally submitted. And if the Senate breaks for the summer, nothing's stopping Trump from making a recess appointment.

Cue the tweets of "Democrats keep blocking my agenda".

On The Hill's facebook page, they reported on McCain expressing concerns about the CIA nominee. My prediction on how it'll all go:

*McCain today*
McCain: *angry grandpa growl* I can't support this nominee *more angry grandpa growls*

*Senate Voting day*
Roll Call: Mr. McCain?
McCain: AYE!
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

bagoldex

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:50 pm

Trump taps Larry Kudlow to replace Cohn ... anyone with a $10k per month coke habit has to know a thing or two about the economy and making money.

Seriously though, anyone remember the outrage from the right over Barack Obama candidly admitting to having done “a little blow” and smoking weed?

seb146

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:51 am

ER757 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

Bush I was head of the CIA prior to being POTUS - I am sure that is what he was referring to

At least Bush had knowledge of things like the Constitution and foreign relations and people skills.

seb146

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:52 am

bagoldex wrote:
Trump taps Larry Kudlow to replace Cohn ... anyone with a $10k per month coke habit has to know a thing or two about the economy and making money.

Seriously though, anyone remember the outrage from the right over Barack Obama candidly admitting to having done “a little blow” and smoking weed?

Obama, however, was not born again. He was not a real Christian.

bennett123

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:20 am

Not sure I follow you.

seb146

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:43 am

bennett123 wrote:
Not sure I follow you.

The same people who insist tRump is a Christian and support his "Christian" values (three wives, prostitutes, rich getting richer, etc.) are the same people who told us that Obama was not a Christian because of the specific church he went to in Chicago and he took the oath of office on maybe not the Bible and that he was born in Hawaii (or Kenya) or any number of fake reasons...

seb146

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:45 am

As seen on social media:

Tillerson calls tRump a f*king moron and keeps his job. Tillerson speaks out on Russian interference in the election, is fired the next day.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:14 am

seb146 wrote:
As seen on social media:

Tillerson calls tRump a f*king moron and keeps his job. Tillerson speaks out on Russian interference in the election, is fired the next day.

I think Tillerson going against the White House's stance on Russia was the catalyst needed. I think everyone can agree that after the report about f*cking moron came out, that's when the relation began to deteriorate, but to fire him at the time would have meant that Herr Trump does not respect people's own thoughts (that was an off the record comment anyway).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

bennett123

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:45 am

In that case, why have a Secretary of State.

Aesma

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:00 pm

So no functioning diplomacy in Russia, and now no functioning diplomacy in the USA. What can go wrong ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

zkojq

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:26 pm

Lets look on the bright side; at least Trump didn't replace Tillerson with John Bolton.

StarAC17 wrote:
He might have been level headed and not completely crazy like Trump but there is a lot of valid criticism of Tillerson. The fact that he happened to like the deals that were in place before trump shows that he is a critical thinker and far more intelligent than Trump. Saying that the department of state is understaffed and there are a lot of ambassador seats still open, this is a very important government department to maintain relations with US allies and other global powers.

I agree.
Most recent aircraft flown: A318 F-GUGQ, A319 F-GRHR, A320ceo D-AIZH, A320neo D-AINE, A330-300 VH-QPD, A350-900 B-LRA, A380-800 D-AIMH, 717 VH-YQW, 737-600 LN-RPA, 737-700 OY-JTY, 737-800 LN-NGA, 767-300 ZK-NCI, 777-300 ZK-OKN, 787-9 VH-ZNA, CS100 HB-JBG

Jouhou

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:19 am

So now McMaster is out too, also after strongly condemning Russia. Trump really doesn't care about the optics of the "Russia Thing", does he?

Francoflier

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:03 am

Tsk tsk tsk... Thou shalt not anger thy supreme leader in Moscow.

This 'brain' drain is getting quite worrying, especially in a WH that was already severely deficient in the brain department.
Trump will continue seeking to surround himself with die-hard unquestioning loyalists, regardless of their ability, and he doesn't like to mingle with people smarter than him, which keeps the limbo bar quite low...

The GOP has long ago dropped their pants and bent over forward for Trump, as witnessed by the House GOP committee unilaterally deciding there was nothing to see in the Russia investigation, against the informed opinion of every single intelligence agency in the country, along with that of every semi-intelligent human being who possesses ears and eyes.

When the truth eventually comes out, the word 'treasonous' will be too kind for these scumbags.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Jouhou

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:16 am

Francoflier wrote:
Tsk tsk tsk... Thou shalt not anger thy supreme leader in Moscow.

This 'brain' drain is getting quite worrying, especially in a WH that was already severely deficient in the brain department.
Trump will continue seeking to surround himself with die-hard unquestioning loyalists, regardless of their ability, and he doesn't like to mingle with people smarter than him, which keeps the limbo bar quite low...

The GOP has long ago dropped their pants and bent over forward for Trump, as witnessed by the House GOP committee unilaterally deciding there was nothing to see in the Russia investigation, against the informed opinion of every single intelligence agency in the country, along with that of every semi-intelligent human being who possesses ears and eyes.

When the truth eventually comes out, the word 'treasonous' will be too kind for these scumbags.

Russia can expect some real backlash once we get rid of this Manchurian president and other treasonous weasels.

Alias1024

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:09 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
No...but usually cabinet members have been either in the spotlight for being from DC, a state official, or having made a name for themselves for their work. Before Trump nominated Tillerson, I didn't even know who he was. And that's not a big deal...but a CEO would have probably been a better suit for something related to the economy, not diplomacy. Name Tillerson to Treasury? Makes sense. Exxon CEO to Department of Energy? Makes sense (not ethical, but I could see the logic). A CEO as the nation's top diplomat? Nope.

I actually thought Tillerson was one of Trump's better picks. Most CEOs don't make sense as a diplomat, but they also aren't running the world's largest integrated oil company. As strange as it sounds, diplomacy is a huge part of the job for the CEO of ExxonMobil. The company has to negotiate with governments all over the world to obtain drilling rights, build refineries and pipelines, negotiate royalty payments, joint ventures, etc... Tillerson likely knew more world leaders than any other CEO in America if not the world before taking the Secretary of State job. The question for me was always whether a former CEO would chafe at working for such an impulsive boss having to tow the line on whatever idiotic idea Trump had at that moment.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

CCGPV

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:45 pm

Alias1024 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
No...but usually cabinet members have been either in the spotlight for being from DC, a state official, or having made a name for themselves for their work. Before Trump nominated Tillerson, I didn't even know who he was. And that's not a big deal...but a CEO would have probably been a better suit for something related to the economy, not diplomacy. Name Tillerson to Treasury? Makes sense. Exxon CEO to Department of Energy? Makes sense (not ethical, but I could see the logic). A CEO as the nation's top diplomat? Nope.

I actually thought Tillerson was one of Trump's better picks. Most CEOs don't make sense as a diplomat, but they also aren't running the world's largest integrated oil company. As strange as it sounds, diplomacy is a huge part of the job for the CEO of ExxonMobil. The company has to negotiate with governments all over the world to obtain drilling rights, build refineries and pipelines, negotiate royalty payments, joint ventures, etc... Tillerson likely knew more world leaders than any other CEO in America if not the world before taking the Secretary of State job. The question for me was always whether a former CEO would chafe at working for such an impulsive boss having to tow the line on whatever idiotic idea Trump had at that moment.

I think its pretty clear what Tillerson thought of Trump. He thinks he's a moron and he's probably right. Tillerson was well respected internationally and a decent pick IMO. As always the problem was Trump.

Traditionally the Secretary of State uses a mandate and operates semi-independently of the President to implement that agenda. This is how its usually done but of course with Trump we see he likes to constantly undermine long term goals for short term feelings.

I think Tillerson was banking on having that traditional role because most normal Presidents know the difference between campaigning and governing and can park it when necessary but with Trump we have this revolving shitshow.
Stay curious

tommy1808

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:45 pm

CCGPV wrote:
Traditionally the Secretary of State uses a mandate and operates semi-independently of the President to implement that agenda. This is how its usually done but of course with Trump we see he likes to constantly undermine long term goals for short term feelings.

Which makes perfect sense, because otherwise a Secretary would be no better as a negotiating partner than any other high level state department employee for anything else but optics.

For a control freak any sort of independence in an employee may be troublesome.

Best regards
Thomas

CCGPV

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:51 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Which makes perfect sense, because otherwise a Secretary would be no better as a negotiating partner than any other high level state department employee for anything else but optics.

For a control freak any sort of independence in an employee may be troublesome.

Best regards
Thomas

It's not all bad over at State. There are still lots of career diplomats going good work behind the scenes and out of the spotlight. The hysteria of the news does't understand the long term relationships with other nations has not changed one bit since trump has been in office. They change very little from admin to admin. They follow long established procedures and rules that are independent of any one President.

The optics aren't good but thats par for the course with Trump. ITs amazing.
Stay curious

tommy1808

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:08 pm

CCGPV wrote:
The hysteria of the news does't understand the long term relationships with other nations has not changed one bit since trump has been in office.

I can assure you that it has changed a lot, nothing a new sane president can fix yet of course, but you should hear Merkel practically declared the United States unreliable in a freaking beer tent speech the day after her first real Trump experience was over. Or the sort of fun the Australian PM has mocking Trump.

But of course that is not the real harm, manpower shortage is. When there is a conference in Asia, China shows up with dozens of people, the US shows up with 3 or 5. The effects of that will be long term.

Best regards
Thomas

Jouhou

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:20 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
The hysteria of the news does't understand the long term relationships with other nations has not changed one bit since trump has been in office.

I can assure you that it has changed a lot, nothing a new sane president can fix yet of course, but you should hear Merkel practically declared the United States unreliable in a freaking beer tent speech the day after her first real Trump experience was over. Or the sort of fun the Australian PM has mocking Trump.

But of course that is not the real harm, manpower shortage is. When there is a conference in Asia, China shows up with dozens of people, the US shows up with 3 or 5. The effects of that will be long term.

Best regards
Thomas

In the aftermath of tillersons departure, it would seem the issue was less tillerson and more the current administration as a whole. I can tell you this administration is even messing up departments it isn't actively attacking, such as the Department of Defense, with its sheer incompetence. Also I can tell you the opinion of the rank and file of the military is not high of this administration. They're worried about getting tossed into an idiotic war no one supports because the president is in a bad mood.

salttee

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:38 pm

Here's a pretty startling, yet quite believable theory: the Zionists are paying Trump for his policy against Iran. Trump probably will be a multi billionaire when he leaves office.

http://mondoweiss.net/2018/03/someone-e ... fe735b115b

DIRECTFLT

Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:44 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Hot off the press

President Trump has ousted Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and replaced him with CIA Director Mike Pompeo, orchestrating a major change to his national security team amid delicate negotiations with North Korea, White House officials said Tuesday.

Trump last Friday asked Tillerson to step aside, and the embattled top diplomat cut short his trip to Africa on Monday to return to Washington.

Remember how it was fake news when media outlets reported that Trump planned to replace Tillerson? "No...fake news. Tillerson is doing great."

Ta-da!

Speaking of Fake News....

NPR and the NYT disseminated and injected Fake News about Trump's Nominee Gina Haspel

ProPublica Corrects Its Story On Trump's CIA Nominee Gina Haspel And Waterboarding

March 16, 2018

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... aterboardi

Read this, and then, just think, how the Liberal Left would be roasting Alex Jones, if InforWars had disseminated such Fake News, and then offered a correction, if the Fake News had been against a Liberal Democrat, or, a RINO...

But this was done by their darlings, the NYT and NPR... so they'll excuse and explain it away, and a wrist slap... if that...
Last edited by DIRECTFLT on Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Jouhou

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:06 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
Hot off the press

President Trump has ousted Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and replaced him with CIA Director Mike Pompeo, orchestrating a major change to his national security team amid delicate negotiations with North Korea, White House officials said Tuesday.

Trump last Friday asked Tillerson to step aside, and the embattled top diplomat cut short his trip to Africa on Monday to return to Washington.

Remember how it was fake news when media outlets reported that Trump planned to replace Tillerson? "No...fake news. Tillerson is doing great."

Ta-da!

NPR and the NYT disseminated and injected Fake News about Trump's Nominee Gina Haspel

ProPublica Corrects Its Story On Trump's CIA Nominee Gina Haspel And Waterboarding

March 16, 2018

Read this, and then, just think, how the Liberal Left would be roasting Alex Jones, if InforWars had disseminated such Fake News, and then offered a correction, if the Fake News had been against a Liberal Democrat...

But this was done by their darlings, the NYT and NPR... so they'll excuse and explain it away, and a wrist slap... if that...

Infowars is forced to make corrections all the time. Remember the Chobani lawsuit? Alex Jones had to apologize to a yogurt company.

WIederling

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:03 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

March 16, 2018

Gina Haspel being a strong and active proponenent of Waterboarding and such appears to be longstanding established information.

A freshly released "What you see is not what you see" I'd handle with great care.
Murphy is an optimist

MaverickM11

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:58 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
Hot off the press

Ta-da!

March 16, 2018

Read this, and then, just think, how the Liberal Left would be roasting Alex Jones, if InforWars had disseminated such Fake News, and then offered a correction, if the Fake News had been against a Liberal Democrat, or, a RINO...

Oh shaddup. They corrected the story almost immediately. When is Trump going to correct...anything he's said?

CCGPV wrote:
It's not all bad over at State. There are still lots of career diplomats going good work behind the scenes and out of the spotlight. The hysteria of the news does't understand the long term relationships with other nations has not changed one bit since trump has been in office. They change very little from admin to admin. They follow long established procedures and rules that are independent of any one President.

If you're a country looking for America's direction on an issue and Tillerson (RIP) says one thing, Niki Haley another, and both are undercut by Trump--whom do you believe? And how much will you trust them? A lot of people, both allies and enemies, want to see the USA taken down a peg, and Trump is doing that for them.
E pur si muove -Galileo

WIederling

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:56 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
If you're a country looking for America's direction on an issue and Tillerson (RIP) says one thing, Niki Haley another, and both are undercut by Trump--whom do you believe? And how much will you trust them? A lot of people, both allies and enemies, want to see the USA taken down a peg, and Trump is doing that for them.

Nikki Haley is a tool that doesn't even notice when she is lying.
Murphy is an optimist

bhill

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:38 pm

DfwRevolution wrote:
scbriml wrote:
DfwRevolution wrote:

What is remotely "damning" about this statement? That's an entirely innocuous well wish. Talk about TDS.

Seriously, you've never heard the expression before? :shock:

Damning with faint praise - saying something that sounds like a compliment, but really isn't.:

I understand the expression. Why are you assuming Trump's comment is insincere?

It's perfectly normal to thank someone when they are leaving a role.

Because ANY utterance from that psychopath's mouth is either a lie, equivocation or vindictive.....
Carpe Pices

bhill

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:41 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
Hot off the press

Ta-da!

March 16, 2018

Lets keep it simpler...why isn't the right news commenting on Trumps' golfing or travel costs of him AND his cabinet? Or his promise to not golf...or have vacations...too busy my ass
Carpe Pices

WarRI1

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:19 am

bhill wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
Hot off the press

Ta-da!

March 16, 2018

Lets keep it simpler...why isn't the right news commenting on Trumps' golfing or travel costs of him AND his cabinet? Or his promise to not golf...or have vacations...too busy my ass

Simply because they are cowards, they care nothing for the truth. They only care for their agenda, first of all re-election for themselves and then the real Republican agenda, power and money for the already wealthy.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.