Samrnpage
Topic Author

Military Airport near Damascus completely destroyed by US,UK and France

Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:41 am

According to several Twitter posts and websites the airport is completely destroyed by bombs tonight.

I guess there is no way back for Syrian Aviation for a long time ?

RIP all who have lost their lives as well, armed forces, civilians , everyone. Horrible.

https://syria.liveuamap.com
Last edited by qf789 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed title for clarity

SumChristianus

Re: Damascus Airport completely destroyed by US,UK and France

Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:48 am

What brought this, retaliation for another chemical attack?
A Traddie wannaby---UA DL LH NW AA --- Next DEN-IND (to be decided) Any suggestions?
"Born in Wonder, Brought to Wisdom"

pipeafcr

Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:52 am

The only ones really affected by this action are the Syrian people. Let's hope this thread doesn't stray into politics now
Felipe Carrillo

Spacepope

Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:57 am

Do we have any independent confirmation that the airport was actually hit? There was no mention of striking that airport in the pentagon report.
The last of the famous international playboys

travaz

Saran and Chlorine? A crime against humanity. I pray for the poor innocent people and not the current regime.
Chemical weapons are banned by every civil country in the world. Germany shirked their duty.
Last edited by travaz on Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wingtips56

There's no way to avoid this going political. It is.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 178 airports, 89 airlines, 71 a/c types, 397 routes, 56 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,101,154 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

mercure1

Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:01 am

Well DAM is certainly a military target so it being leveled would be appropriate. Airport serves as gateway to endless supply flights from places like Iran and Russia.

Samrnpage
Topic Author

Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:03 am

mercure1 wrote:
Well DAM is certainly a military target so it being leveled would be appropriate. Airport serves as gateway to endless supply flights from places like Iran and Russia.

I wouldnt call anything that happened tonight "Appropriate" - I doubt there is any reason to bomb the airport other than supplies though.

WaywardMemphian

Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:07 am

Samrnpage wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

I wouldnt call anything that happened tonight "Appropriate" - I doubt there is any reason to bomb the airport other than supplies though.

Must have been the French and British. The US didn't include it on their target list they mentioned.

pipeafcr

Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:08 am

Going for an airport, specially the main one in the entire country, is definitely not an appropriate move as it provides a necessary service for the general public. Looks like the only way out or in would be land but even that is dangerous as there are so many players in that theater. One can only hope that operations are restored as soon as possible.
Felipe Carrillo

janders

Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:09 am

No doubt Damascus Intl. is a valid military target. Going back years its served as access point to get munitions and supplies to the Syrian regime.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:42 am

Nothing good comes from using chlorine on innocent civilians whose only crime is they were born in Syria. Its unfortunate that the airport was bombed, but when mad men use it for cover, it is fair game.

CriticalPoint

Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:52 am

Samrnpage wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

Standby and let me shed a tear for an airport while millions die horrifically at the hands of a low life with chemical weapons.

Get a grip

PerfectGriffin

Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:03 am

Hitting the main airport of the country? That's terrible but lets wait to hear more about this news... Perhaps it didn't happen, or maybe there was evidence of a chemical weapon lab or storage in the airport.

usdcaguy

Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:26 am

CriticalPoint wrote:
Samrnpage wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

Standby and let me shed a tear for an airport while millions die horrifically at the hands of a low life with chemical weapons.

Get a grip

Hey. This is anet. We treat airports like grandchildren.

seat55a

Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:27 am

Pics or it didn't happen. Liberal western media reports do not support the claim. Mods, please check news independently...

salttee

Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:33 am

The Mezze Military Air Base is in Damascus, the Intl Airport is about 10 miles outside of town.
It was obviously Mezze that was hit.

Blerg

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:19 am

SumChristianus wrote:

Alleged chemical attack. The three countries attacked Syria before experts were supposed to start their investigation.

Varsity1

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:30 am

Can't find any western media indicating the airport was hit, nor any pictures of damage.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

Varsity1

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:34 am

Blerg wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:

Alleged chemical attack. The three countries attacked Syria before experts were supposed to start their investigation.

Is the World Health Organization not credible anymore? 500+ people injured by chlorine gas and possibly sarin.

If you believe the nonsense assad's PR campaign pumps out, the airport was destroyed (with no pictures) and Syrian air defense stopped almost all the missiles. :roll:

The Russians pulled all their ships out of port and most aircraft out of Latakia, they aren't even willing to risk it. Heavily outgunned in the region by a coalition that has been there for 17 years.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

N14AZ

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:39 am

Samrnpage wrote:
According to several Twitter posts and websites the airport is completely destroyed by bombs tonight.

I know, "The first casualty of War is Truth“ but we really shouldn’t support this. As others said, besides here on a.net no reports about „airport completely destroyed by bombs“. By the way, can you imagine what it would take to destroy Damascus International Airport completely? Have been there several times, it’s a huge area.

Blerg

Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:07 am

Varsity1 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:

Is the World Health Organization not credible anymore? 500+ people injured by chlorine gas and possibly sarin.

If you believe the nonsense assad's PR campaign pumps out, the airport was destroyed (with no pictures) and Syrian air defense stopped almost all the missiles. :roll:

The Russians pulled all their ships out of port and most aircraft out of Latakia, they aren't even willing to risk it. Heavily outgunned in the region by a coalition that has been there for 17 years.

Almighty Jesus. You do realize that Russia has China and Iran on its side so I don't see how they are outgunned by anyone especially now when Turkey is no longer a US ally when it comes to Middle Eastern politics.

This is just the US trying to convince itself that it's still relevant in world politics.

JayBCNLON

Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:44 am

Title incorrect as flights take off from DAM according to schedule according to flightradar24.com. 36 min ago flight RB201 Seen taking off from DAM heading to CAI now over Jordan air space.

leghorn

Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:31 am

No proof available yet to German media that there was a chemical attack.
The German News carried a report which was quite unusual in that they said that there may not have been a chemical attack while showing videos of children being treated in a hospital where locals claimed there was an attack. The jist of the reporting was that there might have been an attack, there might not and we as a responsible news outlet can't reliably inform you one way or another at this stage.
Maybe the U.S. got reliable information in the meantime or maybe Trump's mouth committed the U.S. to something which they couldn't walk away from and they roped in a coalition of the willing i.e. useful fools like Tony Blair was to give the strike an air of legitimacy.
We don't know so best we can do is just hope that only militants were affected by the strike and not civilians.

N14AZ

Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:47 am

JayBCNLON wrote:
Title incorrect as flights take off from DAM according to schedule according to flightradar24.com. 36 min ago flight RB201 Seen taking off from DAM heading to CAI now over Jordan air space.

Naaaah, that’s constructed fake news... they strapped the responder onto a donkey and kicked him ....

SCQ83

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:11 am

Looking at DAM,

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airports/dam

Does anyone knows why flights to Iraq are so popular? According to Flightradar24, the busiest route is Najaf in Iraq and the 3rd busiest is Baghdad (with Kuwait being the 2nd).

stylo777

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:36 am

Cham Wings flights from KRT and NJF are currently bound for DAM, so it seems the airport is not completely destroyed and take-off/landings are possible?!?

N14AZ wrote:
JayBCNLON wrote:

Naaaah, that’s constructed fake news... they strapped the responder onto a donkey and kicked him ....

not funny at all....

FrancisBegbie

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:47 am

not funny at all....[/quote]

Actually a clever reference to a Narcos’ scene. And I did find it funny.

DominoxX

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:02 am

I hope Syrianair's A340 is ok
All I need in life is a QF/LA biz seat for me and my malinois doggo, edibles and the 2000's best diva hits

artofzen

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:16 am

SCQ83 wrote:
Looking at DAM,

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airports/dam

Does anyone knows why flights to Iraq are so popular? According to Flightradar24, the busiest route is Najaf in Iraq and the 3rd busiest is Baghdad (with Kuwait being the 2nd).

Najaf is a Shia holy city.

MileHFL400

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:20 am

CriticalPoint wrote:
Samrnpage wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

Get a grip

The low life being Netanyahu
Thanks and best Regards
AA

MileHFL400

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:21 am

Blerg wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Almighty Jesus. You do realize that Russia has China and Iran on its side so I don't see how they are outgunned by anyone especially now when Turkey is no longer a US ally when it comes to Middle Eastern politics.

This is just the US trying to convince itself that it's still relevant in world politics.

Damn right
Thanks and best Regards
AA

Bricktop

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:31 am

Blerg wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I can't seem to get the loony narrative correct. The US has too much power in the world, or is trying to convince itself that it's still relevant in world politics? "Alleged" chemical attack? Like the "alleged" Russian shootdown of the MH jet? :roll:

BawliBooch

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:39 am

No reports of Damascus airport being struck. A military base near Damascus used for Chopper operations was apparently struck and damaged. The site was previously inspected by UN inspectors.

Suggest title be edited and thread moved to Non-Av.
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle! on twitter @Banwaarilal

SheikhDjibouti

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:49 am

And here is the news.... from almost exactly 12 months ago
27 April 2017
"Damascus airport rocked by huge explosion after suspected Israeli air strike on Hizbollah "

"Israeli strikes hit an arms depot operated by the Lebanese Hizbollah group near Damascus airport on Thursday...".

"The early morning raid was outside the international airport itself on a hub operated by the Shia militia, where weapons from Iran are regularly sent by commercial and military cargo planes."

"According to a flight radar tracking site, four cargo planes originating from Iran landed at the airport just hours before the strike"

Reminder - this was 12 months ago, but sounds exactly like the sort of target they may have hit last night.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/0 ... rms-depot/
I promised myself I'd leave before the party turned ugly. I would quit at 1000 !
Here I am stuck at 994; each time I'm tempted to post, I find myself wondering who will even read it / what is the point?
Or maybe I've just got nothing left to say.

SeJoWa

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:52 am

leghorn wrote:
No proof available yet to German media that there was a chemical attack.
The German News carried a report which was quite unusual ...
We don't know so best we can do is just hope that only militants were affected by the strike and not civilians.

What "German News"?

Angela Merkel has said there's "very clear evidence" for the use of chemical weapons in Syria, and that the allied strikes were "necessary and appropriate".
Source: Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung
http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/ausl ... 35126.html
http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/ausl ... 41678.html

Of course, the Russian foreign minister has accused the UK of staging both the Skripals' poisening and the latest atrocity in Syria.
Thank god someone with a direct link to little green men can tell us what's up.

Dutchy

Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:03 am

Blerg wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

If Russia is betting on China, they will be kind of disappointed. Russia aint that important to China.

Iran is on the side of the Assad regime.............
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Andy33

Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:06 am

Bricktop wrote:
Like the "alleged" Russian shootdown of the MH jet? :roll:

I don't think anyone has ever alleged that the Russian military shot the MH plane down. The commonly accepted (except by Russia) view is that it was shot down by pro-Russian separatist Ukrainian militiamen, who were in a position to do so because Russian forces and their proxies had illegally occupied part of Ukraine. The occupying forces had failed to ensure that the air defence missiles were under the control of people who could distinguish between a scheduled passenger flight operated by an airline from a neutral country, and a Ukranian government military transport aircraft. The shooting down would hardly have been deliberate Russian policy - it did them immense political damage. For sure, if there had been no illegal Russian occupation, the missiles would have remained under the control of people who had been properly trained to use them.

Unfortunately even regular military personnel seem sometimes to be unable to distinguish between scheduled passenger flights with full ATC clearance operating on their authorised route, and potentially dangerous military aircraft, as in the case of IR655.

Dutchy

Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:07 am

Andy33 wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
Like the "alleged" Russian shootdown of the MH jet? :roll:

I don't think anyone has ever alleged that the Russian military shot the MH plane down. The commonly accepted (except by Russia) view is that it was shot down by pro-Russian separatist Ukrainian militiamen, who were in a position to do so because Russian forces and their proxies had illegally occupied part of Ukraine. The occupying forces had failed to ensure that the air defence missiles were under the control of people who could distinguish between a scheduled passenger flight operated by an airline from a neutral country, and a Ukranian government military transport aircraft. The shooting down would hardly have been deliberate Russian policy - it did them immense political damage. For sure, if there had been no illegal Russian occupation, the missiles would have remained under the control of people who had been properly trained to use them.

Unfortunately even regular military personnel seem sometimes to be unable to distinguish between scheduled passenger flights with full ATC clearance operating on their authorised route, and potentially dangerous military aircraft, as in the case of IR655.

I think the commonly accepted and the outcome of the official independent investigation is the BUK was supplied by the Russian military. Whom actually controlled the BUK is up for debate and is currently the focus point of the investigation. If Russian hadn't intervened in eastern Ukraine the shootdown would not have happened, clearly.

WIederling

Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:18 am

SeJoWa wrote:
Angela Merkel has said there's "very clear evidence" for the use of chemical weapons in Syria, and that the allied strikes were "necessary and appropriate".

compare to the run up to the Iraq invasion on faked proof by the US and its "allies of the willing"
( and a decade earlier the faked war entry narrative "Nayirah testimony") .

Only difference here is Merkel is more "cuddly" than Schröder was at the time.

There is a rumor around that the Syrians apprehended British special forces in the Dhouma enclave.

I am still waiting for some tangible proof offered by UK/US/F beyond "you have to believe us".
Murphy is an optimist

Aesma

Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:23 am

WIederling wrote:
SeJoWa wrote:

compare to the run up to the Iraq invasion on faked proof by the US and its "allies of the willing"

There is a rumor around that the Syrians apprehended British special forces in the Dhouma enclave.

I am still waiting for some tangible proof offered by UK/US/F beyond "you have to believe us".

The only reason we know the US faked proof leading up to the Iraq invasion is because another credible country (mine, France), said so. You will never get to touch the proof yourself.

Russia and Syria have no credibility whatsoever. Who is going to prove the western coalition lied in this case ? And to what end ? Iraq, the motives were obvious.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

salttee

Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:57 am

Andy33 wrote:
I don't think anyone has ever alleged that the Russian military shot the MH plane down.
I certainly believe, and have on many occasions stated here, that it is inconceivable that anybody other than Russian military shot down MH 17.

In order for any military officer, including a Russian military officer to give a even a manpad away to civilian irregulars would require authorization from the highest levels of government. The people who claim the Russian military loaned out a BUK system need to stand up and and actually debate the subject, which they so far will not do - they just say "they loaned it out" and disappear. If you ask them "at what level of command do you see this happening" (unit, battalion, Brigade, Army level or Kremlin) they don't answer, if you ask them if they think the the fact that the launcher found itself almost directly underneath the intersection of three airways was just an accident, they don't respond.

Sure, there's a possibly that the unit operating the BUK was ordered to give it to some special operations personnel, but in that case the recipients had trained, experienced operators with them, or operators came with the launcher. And if this was so, then it was still operated by the Russian military.

Anybody who thinks MH 17 was shot down by irregular civilians either has intentionally not thought it out, or alternatively, they believe in fairy tales. (or is a Russian propagandist)

Andy, I find it peculiar that anybody at this site could make the statement "I don't think anyone has ever alleged that the Russian military shot the MH plane down", who are you Andy?

Bricktop

Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:34 pm

WIederling wrote:
SeJoWa wrote:

The Koenig of conspiracy theories (especially when there could be an evil US component) sees one here. Shocking.
Some people will never accept any proof. I am surprised though to see you glossing over massacres of civilians.
What do you suggest happened then?

Andy33

Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:51 pm

salttee wrote:
Anybody who thinks MH 17 was shot down by irregular civilians either has intentionally not thought it out, or alternatively, they believe in fairy tales. (or is a Russian propagandist)

Andy, I find it peculiar that anybody at this site could make the statement "I don't think anyone has ever alleged that the Russian military shot the MH plane down", who are you Andy?

And where in the world are you, saltee, since the widely held view in Europe is exactly what I said. The plane wouldn't have been shot down if the Russians had not organised an illegal occupation of Ukrainian territory. In what way is the phrase "illegal occupation" Russian propaganda? Their propaganda says that there was a spontaneous popular uprising - and if you believe that you'll believe anything. Russian propaganda eventually settled for the BUK being fired by Ukrainian government forces, after a long period when they denied a BUK was involved at all. Nobody outside Russia believes this, of course.

Now the BUK, as has been discussed here many times, had its origins in Soviet Union defence systems, and when the Soviet Union split into its constituent republics, both Ukraine and Russia ended up with BUKs. There's been a long debate about whether the missile battery was brought across the border by Russian forces, or was captured from Ukrainian government forces by what you call irregular civilians. Do bear in mind that there was a limited civil war going on, some at least of the irregular civilians were serving or recent members of the Ukrainian military betraying their country (and others were Russian military pretending to be irregular civilians). There is no doubt at all that the team who aimed and fired the BUK knew how to aim and fire one. I doubt if we'll ever know if they were renegade Ukrainians or Russians pretending to be renegade Ukrainians, since both groups were Russian speakers. What is crucial is who made the mis-identification of the scheduled passenger plane (which had clearance from Russian ATC and Ukrainian ATC to be where it was) with a military aircraft, and told the BUK operators to fire at it.

zkojq

Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:22 pm

Good. I don't like war, but these kind military actions should me standard retaliation against any army/government who uses chemical weapons.

There's so much disinformation around now.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/russian-t ... d?ref=home

WIederling wrote:

Anymore info on this?

Aesma wrote:
The only reason we know the US faked proof leading up to the Iraq invasion is because another credible country (mine, France), said so. You will never get to touch the proof yourself.

To this day I am so proud of Chirac and his astute leadership at such a delicate time in world politics.

Aesma wrote:
Russia and Syria have no credibility whatsoever. Who is going to prove the western coalition lied in this case ? And to what end ? Iraq, the motives were obvious.

:checkmark:
Most recent aircraft flown: A318 F-GUGQ, A319 F-GRHR, A320ceo D-AIZH, A320neo D-AINE, A330-300 VH-QPD, A350-900 B-LRA, A380-800 D-AIMH, 717 VH-YQW, 737-600 LN-RPA, 737-700 OY-JTY, 737-800 LN-NGA, 767-300 ZK-NCI, 777-300 ZK-OKN, 787-9 VH-ZNA, CS100 HB-JBG

Blerg

Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:44 pm

Bricktop wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

I can't seem to get the loony narrative correct. The US has too much power in the world, or is trying to convince itself that it's still relevant in world politics? "Alleged" chemical attack? Like the "alleged" Russian shootdown of the MH jet? :roll:

Can you please show me the proof of the chemical attack? If you are going to cite WHO then let me tell you that they themselves have not published any concrete and real data. Even May in her speech used words like 'might have been an attack' and so on.
The US has a lot of power but it also has a lot of debt that's held by other nations. ;) All that power comes at a cost ... which is why the debt ceiling only keeps on getting higher and higher.

Bricktop

Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:55 pm

Blerg wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Can you please show me the proof of the chemical attack? If you are going to cite WHO then let me tell you that they themselves have not published any concrete and real data. Even May in her speech used words like 'might have been an attack' and so on.
The US has a lot of power but it also has a lot of debt that's held by other nations. ;) All that power comes at a cost ... which is why the debt ceiling only keeps on getting higher and higher.

So how did those people die? Or maybe the scenes were all shot on a Hollywood sound stage. Like the moon landing, right?

Dutchy

Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:59 pm

zkojq wrote:
Aesma wrote:

To this day I am so proud of Chirac and his astute leadership at such a delicate time in world politics.

For me, it was the report about the inspections. They said there were probably none. Lots of EU countries didn't want to go into Iraq, the Germans for instance. They had to deal with the Iraqi "whistleblower" on which the case was built, first. They found him less then credible and thus didn't want to join the coalition either.

Iraq is a case where the world should have listened to international institutions, just like today with Russia and Assad regime.

Blerg

Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:01 pm

Bricktop wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Bricktop wrote:

So how did those people die? Or maybe the scenes were all shot on a Hollywood sound stage. Like the moon landing, right?

Because this would be the first time the US and its allies fabricate situations to justify a military attack? Have we already forgotten about Iraqi weapons of mass destruction? Unfortunately for Trump, Syria is no Grenada.

Bricktop

Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:14 pm

Blerg wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Because this would be the first time the US and its allies fabricate situations to justify a military attack? Have we already forgotten about Iraqi weapons of mass destruction? Unfortunately for Trump, Syria is no Grenada.

So your answer is that they aren't dead, that this is just a fabrication. Despicable.