CCGPV

Re: Trump announces North Korea frees 3 prisoners

Wed May 23, 2018 4:37 pm

jetero wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
jetero wrote:

When is the rain going to start?

I have no idea.

Do you ever give people the full can when they ask?

Depends on which "side" they're on.

What are your criteria for this selection process?
Stay curious

jetero

Wed May 23, 2018 4:38 pm

CCGPV wrote:
jetero wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

ABC or DEF

Smart. Helps keep the drink cart stocked so you have enough for the return leg while still being friendly to the customers.

For the return leg?! Silly, it's all for me.

CCGPV

Wed May 23, 2018 4:40 pm

jetero wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
jetero wrote:

Depends on which "side" they're on.

ABC or DEF

Smart. Helps keep the drink cart stocked so you have enough for the return leg while still being friendly to the customers.
Stay curious

CCGPV

Wed May 23, 2018 4:55 pm

jetero wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
jetero wrote:

ABC or DEF

For the return leg?! Silly, it's all for me.

Typical.
Stay curious

seb146

Thu May 24, 2018 1:26 am

mham001 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
So, what position of power did Wright hold in the Obama administration? What cabinet position was he nominated for? What Wright policies did Obama implement?

Barack Obama's African American Religious Leadership Committee.

So, none. Thanks for adding to the conversation.

Go look at the right wing and evangelical policies being enacted by Betsy DeVos and Mike Pence and compare them to what Jeremiah Wright did. Go read. Compare. THEN get back to me.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

casinterest

Thu May 24, 2018 2:02 pm

Trump has canceled the NK summit

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Mir

Thu May 24, 2018 2:18 pm

Well, it's the least bad option at this point, I suppose, though it would have been nice if Trump hadn't shot the US in the foot with regards to diplomacy first.

I'm sure the Cult of Orange will be along shortly to explain how this was a diplomatic masterstroke and how he still deserves that Nobel.
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

MaverickM11

Thu May 24, 2018 2:29 pm

When do we get to use the commemorative coins?
I don't take responsibility at all

jetero

Thu May 24, 2018 2:29 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
When do we get to use the commemorative coins?

Melt them down for the Nobel . . . it'll be beautiful . . .

Planeflyer

Thu May 24, 2018 4:18 pm

This is what happens in high stakes negotiations.

jetero

Thu May 24, 2018 5:16 pm

Planeflyer wrote:
This is what happens in high stakes negotiations.

Yes, definitely. Those always include letters saying “If you just so happen to change your mind, don’t hesitate to give me a call or drop me a line!”

Planeflyer

Thu May 24, 2018 6:14 pm

Not always but depending on the personality on the other side it may be exactly the right move.

We have kicked the can down the road for decades so this will not be easy.

jetero

Thu May 24, 2018 8:37 pm

Planeflyer wrote:
Not always but depending on the personality on the other side it may be exactly the right move.

We have kicked the can down the road for decades so this will not be easy.

Keep the (blind) faith, brotha.

Planeflyer

Thu May 24, 2018 10:18 pm

Not blind, been in many negotiations that swing 180 degrees in seconds. Some deals fall apart at the last minute and some that seem to be going south have been resurrected.

Be honest, even w today’s setback, are we any worse off than where we were under Obama or Bush?

I give Trump credit for taking on a tough problem that Bush and Obama ignored. Obama’s red line mess and Iran deal made this all the more difficult.

c933103

Thu May 24, 2018 10:40 pm

Planeflyer wrote:
Not blind, been in many negotiations that swing 180 degrees in seconds. Some deals fall apart at the last minute and some that seem to be going south have been resurrected.

Be honest, even w today’s setback, are we any worse off than where we were under Obama or Bush?

I give Trump credit for taking on a tough problem that Bush and Obama ignored. Obama’s red line mess and Iran deal made this all the more difficult.

The difference is that now North Korea have at least what claimed to be usable nuclear weapon. It is not even the matter of who's the president anymore, it won't even matter if it is Trump or Clinton being the president, the problem now is that from now on how will the United States deal with North Korea. If inaction continues, then North Korea will live on as a nuclear power. Alternative, what actions can the United States do now? Options are limited and risks are great. Regardless of who is the president, the longer it drag on the more advantageous it would be to North Korea. What could and what will the United States do after talk failed?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate 求同存異 よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones
You're now at your youngest moment in your remaining life

jetero

Thu May 24, 2018 11:15 pm

Planeflyer wrote:

Whatever you say.

#Deal

Planeflyer

Fri May 25, 2018 1:37 pm

c933103 wrote:
Planeflyer wrote:

The difference is that now North Korea have at least what claimed to be usable nuclear weapon. It is not even the matter of who's the president anymore, it won't even matter if it is Trump or Clinton being the president, the problem now is that from now on how will the United States deal with North Korea. If inaction continues, then North Korea will live on as a nuclear power. Alternative, what actions can the United States do now? Options are limited and risks are great. Regardless of who is the president, the longer it drag on the more advantageous it would be to North Korea. What could and what will the United States do after talk failed?

I think it is a mistake to think about this a NK problem. Kim( or rather his survival instinct) is the strategic point. While nukes give him power he's totally alone and for the most part surrounded by people who would love nothing more than for him to be gone. And the only people who support him will not if China abandons him.

China support NK because the way the US has handled NK up to Trump gives them leverage. And they don’t want US troops or chaos on their border. And they most assuredly do not want ROK, Japan or Taiwan to develop and control nukes.

So while Nukes may protect NK they only protect Kim from one of many adversaries.

Trump’s actions can be seen in light of all of this.

c933103

Fri May 25, 2018 2:35 pm

Planeflyer wrote:
I think it is a mistake to think about this a NK problem. Kim( or rather his survival instinct) is the strategic point. While nukes give him power he's totally alone and for the most part surrounded by people who would love nothing more than for him to be gone.

Indeed Kim have a valid reason to have a nuke for himself, but that doesn't mean it would be acceptable to rest of the world. And the US is supposed to find a way to work around the situation in order to make the situation acceptable to the world.

And the only people who support him will not if China abandons him.

China support NK because the way the US has handled NK up to Trump gives them leverage. And they don’t want US troops or chaos on their border. And they most assuredly do not want ROK, Japan or Taiwan to develop and control nukes.

China support on North Korea have been very limited. Especially for the current state leader after his bother being assassinated in Malaysia that almost all high level communications have been stopped up until recent that they meet again out of the necessity to prepare for the talk with America. The only remaining support they have on North Korea are based on geopolitical reason of keeping American force away from their border, together with historical ties. But that is it. And as you said, they don't want ROK, Japan nor Taiwan to have nuke, so they would also favor denuclearization of North Korea. As for the role of past US handling on North Korea issue, there are virtually no influence on the ties between the two countries other than might be little bit of ad hoc strategic cooperation that they would try to cooperate to make the US agree on something.

So while Nukes may protect NK they only protect Kim from one of many adversaries.

Trump’s actions can be seen in light of all of this.

The thing is actually, how will the US and Trump act on top of the current situation, now that Trump have suspended the talk? No action will only give them more leverage over time as North Korea claimed themselves that their nuclear program have been completed and it is now the time to focus on develop their economy so they might actually become more powerful and harder to deal with on the issue of nuclear over time.
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones

Mir

Fri May 25, 2018 6:35 pm

Planeflyer wrote:

North Korea has more legitimacy now than they did before. There is now a precedent when it comes to future negotiations that the US will have to deal with. And for that we have gotten...a few hostages, some of which were taken during this administration for the explicit purpose of being used as pawns in a negotiation.

Planeflyer wrote:

Bush and Obama could have easily done everything that Trump did. They were just smart enough not to.

Aesma

Fri May 25, 2018 7:01 pm

Planeflyer wrote:
Many "news" stories simply wrong.

If you doubt Trump's animal reference was directed at MS13 there are many stories that can easily be looked up.

I never said otherwise. Gang members are still part of the human race, last time I checked. Unless you prefer justice Dutertre style ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

WIederling

Fri May 25, 2018 9:38 pm

Mir wrote:
...a few hostages, some of which were taken during this administration for the explicit purpose of being used as pawns in a negotiation.

Back when the DDR still existed Mr. Blumfeld negotiated some money complemented releases of "dissidents from the DDR government. ( O-tone press in those days.)

Later it came to light that the vast majority of these "dissidents" were hamfistdedly inserted CIA agents that were caught.

I would not be surprised when these harmless hostages were anything but harmless tourists caught in the raw abrasive force of a political face off.
Murphy is an optimist

CCGPV

Fri May 25, 2018 10:22 pm

WIederling wrote:
Mir wrote:
...a few hostages, some of which were taken during this administration for the explicit purpose of being used as pawns in a negotiation.

I would not be surprised when these harmless hostages were anything but harmless tourists caught in the raw abrasive force of a political face off.

Many of the "hostages" detained by North Korea have been linked to religious organizations. They're secret missionaries who were caught.
Stay curious

Planeflyer

Sat May 26, 2018 3:11 am

Mir wrote:
Planeflyer wrote:
Be

Bush and Obama could have easily done everything that Trump did. They were just smart enough not to.

Nonsense, this negotiation is high risk with a higher probability of failure then success. Neither Bush or Obama would have risked it.

Moreover it will only succeed to the extent that Trump will develop a personal relationship w Kim. Neither B or O had the negotiation experience, creativity and the ability to keep so many balls in the air to manage the complexity of this.

Planeflyer

Sat May 26, 2018 3:33 am

Aesma wrote:
Planeflyer wrote:

If you doubt Trump's animal reference was directed at MS13 there are many stories that can easily be looked up.

I never said otherwise. Gang members are still part of the human race, last time I checked. Unless you prefer justice Dutertre style ?

C’mon, MS 13 is chopping people up. Trump is promoting, jail, deportation and eliminating illegal immigration.

Some of these guys have been caught and released and then gone to commit terrible crimes.

stratosphere

Sat May 26, 2018 3:36 am

Aesma wrote:
Planeflyer wrote:

Really? Human race? Could have fooled me. Some human filth does not ever need to walk among us. Save your bleeding heart liberalism for another day. Trump calling MS-13 animals was actually doing a disservice to animals. They are sub human.

Mir

Sat May 26, 2018 3:45 am

Planeflyer wrote:
Nonsense, this negotiation is high risk with a higher probability of failure then success. Neither Bush or Obama would have risked it.

It's true that failure was a very likely option, which is why Trump was foolish and reckless to try, certainly if using the "let's make a huge concession right off the bat and ask for nothing in return" approach.

Planeflyer wrote:
Neither B or O had the negotiation experience, creativity and the ability to keep so many balls in the air to manage the complexity of this.

Nonsense. Trump's negotiation skill might be the only thing more overrated than his abilities in bed. He is completely in over his head in pretty much everything he's tried to do in the White House. That some people refuse to see it doesn't make it less true.

Planeflyer

Sat May 26, 2018 6:55 am

Mir wrote:
Planeflyer wrote:

It's true that failure was a very likely option, which is why Trump was foolish and reckless to try, certainly if using the "let's make a huge concession right off the bat and ask for nothing in return" approach.

Planeflyer wrote:
Neither B or O had the negotiation experience, creativity and the ability to keep so many balls in the air to manage the complexity of this.

Nonsense. Trump's negotiation skill might be the only thing more overrated than his abilities in bed. He is completely in over his head in pretty much everything he's tried to do in the White House. That some people refuse to see it doesn't make it less true.

Are you telling us that you think it foolish to negotiate w Kim because you are worried about concessions?

You must be really pissed at Obama.

seb146

Sat May 26, 2018 7:11 am

stratosphere wrote:
Aesma wrote:
Planeflyer wrote:

Really? Human race? Could have fooled me. Some human filth does not ever need to walk among us. Save your bleeding heart liberalism for another day. Trump calling MS-13 animals was actually doing a disservice to animals. They are sub human.

So you just go with whatever tRump says.

MS13 is awful. It is interesting that you are outraged over them and use the same language when tRump says something and the same language and not before. Just sayin'
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

WIederling

Sat May 26, 2018 9:15 am

Planeflyer wrote:
... creativity and the ability to keep so many balls in the air to manage the complexity of this.

What you seem to associate with "balls in the air" is massive rain of Sh*t droplets that wont settle
due to some imbecile trashing them with a stick to no end.

About ZERO creativity applied.
Murphy is an optimist

WIederling

Sat May 26, 2018 12:05 pm

stratosphere wrote:

I've just decided on a whim that you too are "animal".
( Now lets assume I have the power to make it stick.)

How do you feel?
Murphy is an optimist

Planeflyer

Sat May 26, 2018 9:12 pm

WIederling wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

I've just decided on a whim that you too are "animal".
( Now lets assume I have the power to make it stick.)

How do you feel?

For words to have power they must accurately describe a situation or artfully cover up a painful situation.

Your description of Stratosphere does neither so has no power.

The reason animals has power is that dismembering teenagers while they are still alive is an act so despicable that the perps need a description that puts them outside of humanity.

A concentration camp survivor described the Nazi guards as monsters with human faces. Better but still, somehow lacking. All this goes to show why evil is such a difficult concept. Words just don’t convey the crime.

WIederling

Sat May 26, 2018 9:24 pm

Planeflyer wrote:
For words to have power they must accurately describe a situation or artfully cover up a painful situation.

You are living in LaLa land, my dear.
The success of media campaigns that push allegations that have no foundation in reality speaks strongly against your assertion.

There is so much well known (but fake) "fact" around and people acting on those "fake facts" ,
though a bit of thinking would have brought insight to how false that information was. ...
And retention of "first imprint" though fake is very high.
Especially in a society that has been conditioned to act reflexively.
Murphy is an optimist

Planeflyer

Sat May 26, 2018 10:39 pm

WIederling wrote:
Planeflyer wrote:
... creativity and the ability to keep so many balls in the air to manage the complexity of this.

What you seem to associate with "balls in the air" is massive rain of Sh*t droplets that wont settle

In Europe kicking the can down the road is practice for the National sport but it is not something Trump does. He was elected in large part because he promised to take on tough, intractable problems.

NK was one of them. Let’s review:

Every year NK was making significant( give credit where it is due)progress with nukes and the delivery systems. They were exporting key parts of the delivery system to places like Iran.

NK was threatening, in explicit terms to use their weapons.

In response we sped up missile defense( can anyone imagine our position if we had listened to Europeans and left on this issue?) attempted to ratchet up sanctions and entice the Chinese to close the border with NK.

Trump campaigned( and was much maligned ) on changing the rules vis-à-vis China, Japan, SK, NK.

From day 1 Trump ratcheted up on China to close their border with NK. For the first time threats are used against China in public. SK and Japan are reminded that there is no such thing as a free lunch. In Syria, w increased defense spending, the scrapping the Iran deal and moving the embassy to Jerusalem Trump sends the message that he is not afraid to make tough decisions.

Most importantly , Trump ups the ante be flipping NK’s insistence on direct talks with the US by making it all about him and Kim. He by turns demeans and strokes him ignoring the diplomatic geniuses in the state department and UN who are apoplectic with Trump’s approach.

But lost in the noise is the fact that the Chinese, for the first time are ratcheting up sanctions which reminds Kim that he is surrounded by enemies who unless they get paid will poison him in his sleep. If you don’t know that Kim goes to sleep every night wondering if we will wake up in the morning you don’t fully understand the dynamics. Trump has used this dynamic to make the following proposition; nukes give you power against outsiders but you are much more likely to be killed by those around you unless you can continue to pay them off with Chinese gold.

And China has been informed that they can either support Kim and watch their neighborhood become armed with Nukes and fully lose the one sided trade deal they currently enjoy.

Sure the odds of success are still less than 50/50 but there is much more upside than downside.

c933103

Sat May 26, 2018 11:16 pm

Planeflyer wrote:
WIederling wrote:
Planeflyer wrote:

In Europe kicking the can down the road is practice for the National sport but it is not something Trump does. He was elected in large part because he promised to take on tough, intractable problems.

NK was one of them. Let’s review:

From my memory Trump said he will contract US military and focus on internal affair after election
Every year NK was making significant( give credit where it is due)progress with nukes and the delivery systems. They were exporting key parts of the delivery system to places like Iran.

NK was threatening, in explicit terms to use their weapons.

In response we sped up missile defense( can anyone imagine our position if we had listened to Europeans and left on this issue?) attempted to ratchet up sanctions and entice the Chinese to close the border with NK.

The US have been doing this for years regardless of government
Trump campaigned( and was much maligned ) on changing the rules vis-à-vis China, Japan, SK, NK.

From day 1 Trump ratcheted up on China to close their border with NK. For the first time threats are used against China in public.

Except China have been shutting down its border with North Korea since they assassinated Kim's bother which was China's plan B and whatever threat the America gave at the time was meaningless because of it. Maybe China would actually feel threatened id America continues to push for the issue of Taiwan strait but Trump didn't
SK and Japan are reminded that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

You mean giving South Korea a big middle finger after they just withstand the pressure of boycotting South Korean business to support the SK-US alliance,
And also further fuel the Japanese nationalistic group's campaign for normalization of the country's status on international stage which would in turn weaken American presence in the area especially after numerous incidents caused by American military in Okinawan area just caused further escalation on opinion for getting rid of American presence in the country
In Syria, w increased defense spending, the scrapping the Iran deal and moving the embassy to Jerusalem Trump sends the message that he is not afraid to make tough decisions.

For what? What did US gain from it, even just virtually? Enhanced relationship with Israel, and how's that gonna solve anything?
Most importantly , Trump ups the ante be flipping NK’s insistence on direct talks with the US by making it all about him and Kim. He by turns demeans and strokes him ignoring the diplomatic geniuses in the state department and UN who are apoplectic with Trump’s approach.

Who hired those people into white house in the first place?
But lost in the noise is the fact that the Chinese, for the first time are ratcheting up sanctions which reminds Kim that he is surrounded by enemies who unless they get paid will poison him in his sleep. If you don’t know that Kim goes to sleep every night wondering if we will wake up in the morning you don’t fully understand the dynamics. Trump has used this dynamic to make the following proposition; nukes give you power against outsiders but you are much more likely to be killed by those around you unless you can continue to pay them off with Chinese gold.

You thought the tightened Chinese sanction is a result of American pressure?What a joke, it's like saying Soviet break up with China in 1950s-1960s is a result of American policies. And you thought the meeting was realized because of pressure acted onto North Korea? They are more comfortable now than ever in the past decade in picking whatever options they can take thanks to the favorable international environment with the new South Korea president being pro-North Korea and China under pressure from the US trade talk to find ways to exert their influence against America i. other ways as well as with Trump being the American president that is far easier to read and understand his way of thinking than any other politicians.

And China has been informed that they can either support Kim and watch their neighborhood become armed with Nukes and fully lose the one sided trade deal they currently enjoy.

Sure the odds of success are still less than 50/50 but there is much more upside than downside.

And you are saying as if North Korea can be controlled by Chiba which I assume even Trump know it is untrue by his failed attempt to ask the Chinese president to exert influence against North Korea for disarmament and is now skipping China to talk with Kim

Planeflyer

Sun May 27, 2018 12:33 am

Chinese nationalism is definitely a factor in all of this.

WIederling

Sun May 27, 2018 7:29 am

c933103 wrote:
Except China have been shutting down its border with North Korea
since they assassinated Kim's brother which was China's plan B a ...

I was wondering at the time.

Looking back:
Could this have been a US controlled "false flag" op?
Murphy is an optimist

c933103

Sun May 27, 2018 9:54 am

WIederling wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Looking back:

If you think the US can randomly grab a few North Korean from North Korea to instruct that then maybe.

WIederling

Sun May 27, 2018 10:51 am

c933103 wrote:
WIederling wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Looking back:

If you think the US can randomly grab a few North Korean from North Korea to instruct that then maybe.

The only visible NK person involved was the deceased.
WP:EN wrote:
@ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassina ... he_airport

On 14 February Malaysian police arrested a 28-year-old Vietnamese woman named Đoàn Thị Hương at Kuala Lumpur International Airport in connection with the attack.[17] Hương was identified through CCTV footage.[21] On 16 February, a 25-year-old Indonesian woman named Siti Aisyah was arrested and identified as the second female suspect.[22] Aisyah's boyfriend, a 26-year-old Malaysian named Muhammad Farid bin Jalaluddin,[nb 1] was also arrested on 16 February to assist in the investigation.[19][23]

Hương told the police that she was instructed by four men who were travelling with them to spray Kim with an unidentified liquid while Aisyah held and covered his face with a handkerchief as part of a prank. She claimed that after she returned to look for the others, they had disappeared, and thus she decided to head back to the airport the next day.[24]
Murphy is an optimist

c933103

Sun May 27, 2018 2:41 pm

WIederling wrote:
c933103 wrote:
WIederling wrote:

Looking back:

The only visible NK person involved was the deceased.
WP:EN wrote:
@ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassina ... he_airport

On 14 February Malaysian police arrested a 28-year-old Vietnamese woman named Đoàn Thị Hương at Kuala Lumpur International Airport in connection with the attack.[17] Hương was identified through CCTV footage.[21] On 16 February, a 25-year-old Indonesian woman named Siti Aisyah was arrested and identified as the second female suspect.[22] Aisyah's boyfriend, a 26-year-old Malaysian named Muhammad Farid bin Jalaluddin,[nb 1] was also arrested on 16 February to assist in the investigation.[19][23]

Hương told the police that she was instructed by four men who were travelling with them to spray Kim with an unidentified liquid while Aisyah held and covered his face with a handkerchief as part of a prank. She claimed that after she returned to look for the others, they had disappeared, and thus she decided to head back to the airport the next day.[24]

Those who are behind the incident, and also see North Korea state response.

Planeflyer

Mon May 28, 2018 5:42 pm

WIederling wrote:
Planeflyer wrote:

You are living in LaLa land, my dear.
The success of media campaigns that push allegations that have no foundation in reality speaks strongly against your assertion.

There is so much well known (but fake) "fact" around and people acting on those "fake facts" ,
though a bit of thinking would have brought insight to how false that information was. ...
And retention of "first imprint" though fake is very high.
Especially in a society that has been conditioned to act reflexively.

As you know very well the best lies work because they have just enough truth to fool enough people.