Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

727LOVER
Topic Author

NFL announces new national anthem policy

Wed May 23, 2018 5:44 pm

A comproimise of sorts.

The NFL announced Wednesday that all players who are on the field when the national anthem is heard before a game must stand — or they can choose to remain in the locker room without penalty.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nf ... rs-n876816

The NFL Players Association (NFLPA) issued a statement following the policy announcement saying they were not consulted.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44230772

CCGPV

Re: NFL announces new national anthem policy

Wed May 23, 2018 5:50 pm

Who cares? This was like 16 controversies ago.

ltbewr

Wed May 23, 2018 6:08 pm

The origin of these protests was the need to get attention for the racist treatment almost all Black persons, especially Black males, get from police and several well publicized and deadly encounters with police in the year or so before the 'kneeling'. They expanded when President Trump tweeted his condemnation with racist undertones of the flag protests. In the USA, there is no legal requirement, except for persons in the military, to have to stand for a flag salute or during the playing of the National Anthem. Persons cans also not be required to participate in them or to say the Pledge of Allegence per US Supreme Court Decisions if counter to faith beliefs. The playing of the National Anthem before sports contests in the USA started during WW I with baseball and expanded during WW II for obvious reasons. Some leagues, like the NBA, due to flag/anthem protests in the mid-1990's led to rules for game players, coaches and staff to be standing during the National Anthem to discourage disruption, losing White ticket paying fans and to assure team discipline.
I don't like the protests, I think they are counterproductive, but the dire need to bring attention to the deadly racism in out country caused these protests to happen. The NFL is now in a real mess with this half-assed rule but all the owners want is to curb the loss of fans and their money. I bet the NFLPA will make a big deal of this but will back off.

texdravid

Wed May 23, 2018 6:12 pm

The NFL is losing popularity and the players are too “woke” to realize it.

They went full social justice and were too arrogant to note that the core fan is a conservative and usually patriotic just so they can show off to liberals in the media.

Well those media liberals aren’t the ones sitting in freezing weather and buying t shirts and having tailgating parties. Those media types will move on after destroying the NFL and those stupid players will be bankrupt and unemployed with their lack of real world skills.

DIRECTFLT

Wed May 23, 2018 6:24 pm

I don't need an outlet to express my patriotism before watching a sporting event.

I don't want ANY politics, or social themes, at a sporting event.

Just the sports please, and no Breast Cancer, Salvation Army, or any other "causes" on the field.

Donation barrels at the entrance to the facility are fine though...

Tugger

Wed May 23, 2018 6:34 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
I don't need an outlet to express my patriotism before watching a sporting event.

Just the sports please, and no Breast Cancer, Salvation Army, or any other "causes" on the field.

Not your choice really. You get to choose to watch or not.

Should be interesting what happens when the owners end up paying large fines for an on field display. It's the team that gets fined, not the player.

Tugg

Brick

Wed May 23, 2018 6:35 pm

The only reason the NFL owners acted is because profits and ratings are down. For me, this is too little, too late.

And to those people that complain about "rights of the players"...this is an employee conduct issue, not a rights issue. Regular working people have to follow the rules set by their bosses everyday. NFL players should be no exception.

Tugger

Wed May 23, 2018 6:37 pm

Brick wrote:
The only reason the NFL owners acted is because profits and ratings are down. For me, this is too little, too late.

And to those people that complain about "rights of the players"...this is an employee conduct issue, not a rights issue. Regular working people have to follow the rules set by their bosses everyday. NFL players should be no exception.

The employees are hired and agree to contracted terms with the team. If it is not in the terms then its open to what is done and how it is managed.

This will be a part of the next player contract talks.

And for the record, kneeling is not disrespectful. In fact the players have been very respectful in what they are doing. It is the crazy public that is being disrespectful. I have sat and been eating during the anthem and any number of other things and I am not being disrespectful.

Tugg

kjeld0d

Wed May 23, 2018 6:46 pm

Brick wrote:

Maybe the working public is tired of the baldfaced arrogance. These players compete so hard to be chosen, and then forget that there are many thousands more waiting to take their place. We didn't pay to watch the social justice warring of overpaid jocks. If salaries were cut 50% or 75% we would see an NFL of "professional sportsmen" and not "stars".

910A

Wed May 23, 2018 7:21 pm

Perhaps the falling ratings and attendance is cause by what Tom Brady stated:
There’s so much for us to consume. As we all know. There’s so much happening. The amount I’m doing — I don’t follow [the NFL] like I used to, because there’s so many other things to follow. It’s just what can grab your attention. There’s a lot more competition today than there’s ever been, I think. Especially with social media — for people to consume information or to consume content.

I would also add some crappy match-ups for prime time games. If one takes the Thursday's night game away, I suspect the NFL games are holding their own especially in late season ratings wise.

Brick

Wed May 23, 2018 7:35 pm

Tugger wrote:
The employees are hired and agree to contracted terms with the team. If it is not in the terms then its open to what is done and how it is managed.

There is no doubt that written into the contract of each NFL player is a clause that says they cannot conduct themselves in a manner that causes harm to the NFL or their team and that's probably what this is going to fall under. If a player stomps a puppy to death on the 50 yard line during a game, you can't say "If it's not in their contact that puppy killing is not allowed then you can't punish them for it." In fact almost every company in the United States has some kind of wordage in the employee handbook or employment contract that says if you do harm to the company they have the right to discipline you.

Tugger wrote:
And for the record, kneeling is not disrespectful. In fact the players have been very respectful in what they are doing. It is the crazy public that is being disrespectful. I have sat and been eating during the anthem and any number of other things and I am not being disrespectful.

Well, several millions of Americans disagree with you and they have voted with their wallets and eyes.

Tugger

Wed May 23, 2018 7:53 pm

Brick wrote:
Tugger wrote:

There is no doubt that written into the contract of each NFL player is a clause that says they cannot conduct themselves in a manner that causes harm to the NFL or their team and that's probably what this is going to fall under. If a player stomps a puppy to death on the 50 yard line during a game, you can't say "If it's not in their contact that puppy killing is not allowed then you can't punish them for it." In fact almost every company in the United States has some kind of wordage in the employee handbook or employment contract that says if you do harm to the company they have the right to discipline you.

Tugger wrote:

Well, several millions of Americans disagree with you and they have voted with their wallets and eyes.

We are not talking about illegal activities nor activities that bring harm to others. the "moral turpitude" clauses that you refer to are for things like that not what is occurring currently. If it did you could say that CTE also is causing harm and so players should not tackle or hit each other. The kneeling actions by the players during a minute or two is not harming the NFL.

As to the millions voting with their wallets, OK and yet millions and millions more have voted that they are fine with it. So why should that small minority of the public be able to dictate what happens? Are you saying you think that minority groups of people should be followed and obeyed when they protest (with their wallets or otherwise)?

Tugg

910A

Wed May 23, 2018 10:32 pm

Brick wrote:

Let see here, only three teams had less than a 90% occupancy rate in their stadiums for NFL games in 2017. The 0-16 Browns, Rams, and Bengals.
Seven teams exceeded 100% capacity. Television ratings were down nearly 10%. Probably part of that is due to the number of games, and Thursday night football took a beating.
The NFL isn't in a vacuum, as the viewership drop is indicative of the general environment as less television is being watched and cable subscriptions have declined. The NBA, however, has seen a 20 percent increase in viewership this season as compared to 2016-17.

Despite the drop in NFL ratings, Nielsen data shows that the 20 of the 30 highest-rated shows on television in 2017 were football games. Both NBC and ESPN had the most-watched shows every single week, in terms of audience and in all key male demographics, for Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Football games this season.

NBC's Sunday Night Football finished first in prime time this fall for the seventh consecutive year,

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2196 ... lar-season
http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance

NIKV69

Wed May 23, 2018 10:37 pm

Brick wrote:

Amen!

jpetekyxmd80

Wed May 23, 2018 10:59 pm

In case anyone missed the memo, this is what patriotism is now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls1YVhcLD2c

All she needs is to throw in a "fuck you POWs!" and it would be perfect.

BN747

Thu May 24, 2018 2:08 am

texdravid wrote:

They went full social justice and were too arrogant to note that the core fan is a conservative and usually patriotic just so they can show off to liberals in the media.

Well those media liberals aren’t the ones sitting in freezing weather and buying t shirts and having tailgating parties. Those media types will move on after destroying the NFL and those stupid players will be bankrupt and unemployed with their lack of real world skills.

Spoken like someone without a clue to the NFL is all about, and your legendary disdain for people of color (as you are one) and subtle dog-whistle comments never fail to eek out.

The NFL doesn't give a rats ass if they're fans are conservative or Liberals or in between. The majority of players hired are not white conservatives AND they are not minstral show actors for you laugh and throw drinks at.

They are men (and 100% of them, could wax your scrawny carcass in 2 seconds flat including the waterboys) then to provide you entertainment in sport you cannot play - only watch. Given their large representation vs their propinquity to their fellow men being unfair treatment by authorities demands that they voice their feelings about the matter.

IF hundreds of Black cops were gunning down unarmed white men and brutalizing them not using turn signals and lesser infractions - and white NFL players were in protest, not only would you not be screaming at the top of your lungs about the injustice, you're type to actually risk running onto the field to join them (while getting body slammed for trying show your support!

'The liberal media sitting in freezing weather' comment is absurd, why? Just enlighten us as to what the conservative medias is doing during cold games aside from bitching about 'players kneeling'

Jeez, if this passive protest irks you so much ... it's damn good thing you weren't alive when the televised 1968 Olympics from Mexico City, when Gold & Silver USA winners John Carlos and Tommy Smith
raised their black gloved fist in outright protest of Black Oppression in the nation they represented...well then, the paramedics of the day would have found you face planted on your floor from cardiac arrest.

Stop telling athletes and actors to vice their opinions in their professions, I'm certain you speak your mind at work just like everyone else. Just because you watch them (and pay if you do) nothing they do or say deserves scrutiny from the likes of you, got a beef about it? Then strap your ass and get the field hoss, knock yourself out -- it get knocked out.

BN747

jpetekyxmd80

Thu May 24, 2018 2:23 am

texdravid wrote:

I almost think you think you are serious.

DL717

Thu May 24, 2018 2:28 am

Brick wrote:

This right here. I can’t run around the office spouting my politics, nor can anyone else for that matter.

WarRI1

Thu May 24, 2018 2:55 am

jpetekyxmd80 wrote:
texdravid wrote:

I almost think you think you are serious.

If he is, we are all in the shit more than we know. Madness is afoot.

seb146

Thu May 24, 2018 4:43 am

So no freedom of speech for NFL players? What a country we live in!

Tugger

Thu May 24, 2018 4:59 am

What will be interesting is when the first group of players together take a knee on the sideline. The team will be fined, a big fine probably, and then what will they do with their players? Not much they do without losing even more money.

Tugg

BN747

Thu May 24, 2018 5:38 am

New York Jets Owner Christopher Johnson announced that he will pay the fine for ANY of his players that elect to take a knee in protest at their games.

This man sees exactly how History look back and will judge this moment...

...to bad diminutive minds will continue to be Super Tanker anchor-weights on the Progress of Civilized Society, which will prevail anyhow, the past confirms that.

BN747

einsteinboricua

Thu May 24, 2018 11:15 am

The irony of it all...

MaverickM11

Thu May 24, 2018 11:46 am

Forced patriotism is the best patriotism, right after paid patriotism.

910A wrote:
Brick wrote:

Let see here, only three teams had less than a 90% occupancy rate in their stadiums for NFL games in 2017. The 0-16 Browns, Rams, and Bengals.
Seven teams exceeded 100% capacity. Television ratings were down nearly 10%. Probably part of that is due to the number of games, and Thursday night football took a beating.
The NFL isn't in a vacuum, as the viewership drop is indicative of the general environment as less television is being watched and cable subscriptions have declined. The NBA, however, has seen a 20 percent increase in viewership this season as compared to 2016-17.

Despite the drop in NFL ratings, Nielsen data shows that the 20 of the 30 highest-rated shows on television in 2017 were football games. Both NBC and ESPN had the most-watched shows every single week, in terms of audience and in all key male demographics, for Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Football games this season.

NBC's Sunday Night Football finished first in prime time this fall for the seventh consecutive year,

What are we blaming NASCAR's cratering ratings on? Black people too?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davecaldwe ... 0667fc1df5

tommy1808

Thu May 24, 2018 12:36 pm

Tugger wrote:

probably. They will also probably find another way of protest, keeping their eyes closed for example.

best regards
Thomas

StarAC17

Thu May 24, 2018 1:19 pm

texdravid wrote:

The NFL is losing popularity because they have gone crazy on instant replay, they basically throw a flag on every play and cannot figure out what a catch is. The quality is not like it used to be even 5 years ago.

DIRECTFLT wrote:

So you can do two things.

Not play the anthem at sporting events like everywhere else in the world.
Also tell your congressman and senator that as a US taxpayer I do not want the military paying the NFL for military flyovers and the other stuff it does at NFL games. The players being on the field started in 2009 when the military paid the NFL to do the salute to service stuff. Now probably what will happen is all the players will stay in the locker room.

Brick wrote:

So it is not a first amendment issue if the NFL is doing this to protect their image. But if what is being reported is true and they are doing this out of fear of any retaliation by Trump then IIRC it is a first amendment issue because the NFL is acting in fear of the government and if the government is using it's power to punish an individual or a corporations (they are people right) then that directly is unconstitutional.

dragon6172

Thu May 24, 2018 2:12 pm

seb146 wrote:
So no freedom of speech for NFL players? What a country we live in!

How do you figure? There has been no law passed that prevents them from kneeling. The players will be allowed to stay in the locker room if they don't want to participate in the anthem (previously they were required to be on the field). If the player is on the field and kneels for the anthem the TEAM (not the player) is fined by the league.

So yes, if you continue to do something in the workplace that causes your company to lose money, you run the risk of losing your job. Seems pretty normal to me.

mbmbos

Thu May 24, 2018 2:24 pm

I've noticed a few of you getting legalistic about employee rights. Indeed, if you want to split hairs, NFL players must adhere to their contracts.

But how narrow minded of you who make that argument! These men are making a silent and respectful protest that Black Lives Matter. Why is that offensive to anyone? Oh yeah, right, I remember. Some people pound their chests and declare they are more patriotic than others. That not standing for the National Anthem is unpatriotic. And it disrespects our troops. Huh? How does it disrespect our troops? Oh, right, now I remember. Those on the right want to be injured by players taking a knee, so they have to dream up something. So suddenly the National Anthem is all about our troops, not about how our nation was born. So not standing means you hate America and you hate our troops.

What an idiotic polemic. Talk about going out of one's way to be offended.

I'm done with the NFL. I've watched my last game. That bunch of rich, white guys can die off as far as I'm concerned.

Mir

Thu May 24, 2018 2:28 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

If you want to get rid of the anthem before games, that's fine with me.

kjeld0d wrote:
Maybe the working public is tired of the baldfaced arrogance. These players compete so hard to be chosen, and then forget that there are many thousands more waiting to take their place. We didn't pay to watch the social justice warring of overpaid jocks.

You weren't watching anyway. Nobody ever showed the anthem on TV because it was a good time to run some commercials (how's that for respect for the flag?). So what you're really objecting to is the knowledge that someone was kneeling. Big freaking deal.

AA747123

Thu May 24, 2018 4:26 pm

I dont think it goes far enough. If you are a member of the team, you will come out and stand at attention with your hand over your heart during the national anthem PERIOD! If you don't YOUR FIRED! Period!

seb146

Thu May 24, 2018 5:32 pm

I also don't understand this notion of forced patriotism. Especially being applauded by a draft dodger.

This whole thing started off as a protest against shooting unarmed black people and it evolved into a freedom of speech protest. Let me also ask this:

When you are sitting at home, swilling beer and grazing on nachos, how many of you stand and remove your hats when the National Anthem comes on? How many of you are outraged to the point of having someone arrested when you see a woman wearing US flag Daisy Dukes or a US flag bikini? How many of you are outraged when you see a pickup truck with an American flag on a pole in the bed?

If none of these things outrage you, you have no right to be outraged over taking a knee.

mbmbos

Thu May 24, 2018 5:42 pm

AA747123 wrote:
I dont think it goes far enough. If you are a member of the team, you will come out and stand at attention with your hand over your heart during the national anthem PERIOD! If you don't YOUR FIRED! Period!

PERIOD!

YOUR (sic) FIRED!

That's mighty authoritarian of you. You must be so proud.

Kiwirob

Thu May 24, 2018 6:04 pm

Why do they have a national anthem for a game between local teams, i get playing anthems if the teams come from two different countries, this appears pointless. Do other domestic competitions play the anthem before games?

The problem is easily resolved by dumping the anthem.

Kiwirob

Thu May 24, 2018 6:12 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Forced patriotism is the best patriotism, right after paid patriotism.

910A wrote:
Brick wrote:

What are we blaming NASCAR's cratering ratings on? Black people too?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davecaldwe ... 0667fc1df5

The problem with NASCAR IMO is they took a simple formula, racing around a bowl and for some reason made it more complicated, they also made it too safe, the cars don’t flip or get airborne, so the thrill factor has also gone, now it’s too complicated and sanitised.

MaverickM11

Thu May 24, 2018 6:44 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Why do they have a national anthem for a game between local teams, i get playing anthems if the teams come from two different countries, this appears pointless. Do other domestic competitions play the anthem before games?

The problem is easily resolved by dumping the anthem.

The military paid for it, to drum up enlistments and interest in two failing wars. Now maybe a third soon!

2122M

Thu May 24, 2018 6:58 pm

AA747123 wrote:

You'll have plenty of people disagreeing with you on the merits of this, so I'll just point out that what you meant to say is : YOU'RE FIRED, not YOUR FIRED.

DIRECTFLT

Thu May 24, 2018 7:49 pm

Mir wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Look, this is not our "US Football" team vs. the "Brazil Football" team kind of thing.

And, this is not "Soccer", where in other nations, the soccer team is your national identity.

It's just not that way here in the US.

We have lots of sports, more sports than any other nation in the world.

So our " National identity" is not wrapped up in any single sport or thing.

Dump the National Anthem from sports and save it for something else. Plus, we only sing the first part, so what the Hell is that? That's disrespect to the anthem. Just tired of all the Military buy-in to the sport of their choice.

Kiwirob

Thu May 24, 2018 8:20 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

I’d like to see you prove this. Even in NZ you can play all the major sports popular in the US if you want to.

CCGPV

Thu May 24, 2018 9:04 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

I’d like to see you prove this. Even in NZ you can play all the major sports popular in the US if you want to.

Yeah, you can play them but its not good. The population just can't support the quantity or quality of sports like the USA can. We just have more bodies. Doesn't mean one is "better" but to compare the sporting world in virtually any country to the USA is crazy.

einsteinboricua

Thu May 24, 2018 10:12 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Dump the National Anthem from sports and save it for something else.

Did hell freeze or are we actually in agreement on something?

It reminds me of weekend events I'd do with the National Honor Society...they'd play the PR anthem, the US anthem, and the organizational anthem...WHY?!

Ken777

Thu May 24, 2018 10:53 pm

I thin k it is time to tone down the issue. Keep the teams in the locker rooms until the fans have sung the song. Keep all the flash off the field. Have someone stand on a sideline and sing, an d at the end of the song the players & coaches can run onto the fiend, toss a coin and start the game.

dragon6172

Thu May 24, 2018 11:57 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
The military paid for it, to drum up enlistments and interest in two failing wars. Now maybe a third soon!

Not entirely true. The anthem has been performed at NFL games since WWII (same with other sports leagues). The only recent change (2009) was that players stayed on the field for it.

The whole paid patriotism thing is not really related to the anthem. DoD paid teams to allow re-enlistment ceremonies, full field flag holders, color guards, etc at games. In reality what the DoD was doing was buying game tickets for these military members, because once whatever ceremony they were taking part in was over they need a place to sit and watch the game. I am not arguing that this use of DoD money was appropriate, just that it is only loosely related to the pregame anthem.

dragon6172

Fri May 25, 2018 12:23 am

Mir wrote:

You weren't watching anyway. Nobody ever showed the anthem on TV because it was a good time to run some commercials (how's that for respect for the flag?). So what you're really objecting to is the knowledge that someone was kneeling. Big freaking deal.

I would agree, I wouldn't have a problem with the networks not showing the anthem. I would leave it as part of the pre-game for those in attendance though.

If you recall, the kneeling only became an issue after the 2nd or 3rd game that Kapernick did it and the media made a point to cover it. And last year one network showing a primetime game showed a graphic after the anthem on which players were kneeling. That is pretty much just stoking the fire and does little to address the issues the players want to bring attention to.

CCGPV

Fri May 25, 2018 12:24 am

dragon6172 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
T DoD paid teams to allow re-enlistment ceremonies, full field flag holders, color guards, etc at games. In reality what the DoD was doing was buying game tickets for these military members, because once whatever ceremony they were taking part in was over they need a place to sit and watch the game. I am not arguing that this use of DoD money was appropriate, just that it is only loosely related to the pregame anthem.

That sounds like a pretty reasonable arrangement to me.

I think the national anthem worship is a bit overboard but I have no problem participating in the anthem when I'm at a sporting event. Its neat seeing 50,000 participating in something together. Don't see that too often anymore. It doesn't make me feel like America is superior or that I'm literally pledging my allegiance to the USA full stop. Its just a neat thing to do in a group.

I totally think players should be allowed to kneel during the anthem. The teams should also be able to fine them.

dragon6172

Fri May 25, 2018 1:05 am

CCGPV wrote:

I totally think players should be allowed to kneel during the anthem. The teams should also be able to fine them.

What's interesting to me is that this new policy announcement from the NFL has no negative effect on the players.... yet. It says:
  • The policy is that team and league personnel will stand and respect the anthem
  • The requirement that players are on the field for the anthem is removed
  • Personnel who do not want to participate in the anthem can remain off the field in the locker room
  • TEAMS will be fined for any of its personnel who are on the field and not standing (this includes players)
  • Teams can make their own rules for handling their personnel (players) who do not stand for the anthem
  • The Commissioner can discipline league personnel (officials, etc) who do not stand for the anthem

So, if a particular team decides that it won't punish it's players for not standing, then this new NFL policy has no effect on them. They can still come onto the field and kneel during the anthem. The league will fine the team and that is it.

ESPN article that breaks it down http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23585814/nfl-national-anthem-policy-faq-answering-biggest-questions

So now we wait and see how 32 teams will implement policies.

*Edited to fix type-o

CCGPV

Fri May 25, 2018 1:29 am

dragon6172 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

What's interesting to me is that this new policy announcement from the NFL has no negative effect on the players.... yet. It says:
  • The policy is that team and league personnel will stand and respect the anthem
  • Personnel who do not want to participate in the anthem can remain off the field in the locker room
  • TEAMS will be fined for any of its personnel who are on the field and not standing (this includes players)
  • Teams can make their own rules for handling their personnel (players) who do not stand for the anthem
  • The Commissioner can discipline league personnel (officials, etc) who do not stand for the anthem

So, if a particular team decides that it won't punish it's players for not standing, then this new NFL policy has no effect on them. They can still come onto the field and kneel during the anthem. The league will fine the team and that is it.

ESPN article that breaks it down http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23585814/nfl-national-anthem-policy-faq-answering-biggest-questions

*Edited to fix type-o

Amazing. Thanks for the write up.

This whole thing is wonderfully American.

tommy1808

Fri May 25, 2018 5:13 am

CCGPV wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Yeah, you can play them but its not good. The population just can't support the quantity or quality of sports like the USA can. We just have more bodies. Doesn't mean one is "better" but to compare the sporting world in virtually any country to the USA is crazy.

Olympic medals per per million citizens today since 1906, sorted by number of total medals:

USA: 7.76
Russia (including USSR): 10.88
Germany (all 6 incarnations): 16.45
Great Britain: 13.01
PRC: 0.4
France: 10.7
Italy: 9.61
Hungary: 49.1
Australia: 21.21
Sweden: 49.9
Japan: 3.46
Finland: 55.1
South Korea: 5.23
Romania: 15.3
Netherlands: 16.76
Cuba: 19.4
Poland: 7.45
Czech Republic:19.22
Canada: 8.36
Norway: 29.42

Winter Olympic medals per per million citizens today:

Germany: 4.97
Russia: 2.45
Norway: 70.77 (!)
USA: 0.941
Canada: 5.48
Austria: 26.67
Sweden: 15.96

Outside of sports that are practically only really played in the US, the US does not seem to perform all that great.

And what the heck, Thor really seems to get involved in those games and shows Jahwe how it is done!

best regards
Thomas

sierrakilo44

Fri May 25, 2018 7:01 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Outside of sports that are practically only really played in the US, the US does not seem to perform all that great.

Expanding on that, the USA in total Olympic medals per capita of all time comes in at a world beating number #39, behind the former Yugoslavia and Mongolia!

http://www.medalspercapita.com/#medals-per-capita:all

How about in America’s past time, baseball? Well at the two international Baseball competitions, the World Cup and the World Baseball Championship the USA comes in behind Cuba and Japan on the total gold medals, and behind Colombia, Venezuela, South Korea, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic on a per capita basis. So much for America’s pastime.

Ice Hockey? Behind Canada, Sweden, Russia and Czech Republic.

NFL? No professional leagues outside of the US, doesn’t count.

The world’s most popular sport, football? They couldn’t even qualify for the World Cup.

The only competitive sport the USA is currently the world leader in is Basketball, due to the dominance of the US Men’s National Team. However on a per capita basis the website below ranks it 8th in recent Basketball successes per capita below nations like Serbia, Lithuania and Croatia.

http://www.greatestsportingnation.com/sport/basketball

Overall the website has calculated on a per capita basis with all sports the USA is only the 23rd greatest sporting nation on earth, with Norway, Switzerland and Sweden taking the 2018 top three places!

Too many Americans confuse their quantity with quality. Instead of bleating on about American exceptionalism all the time looks like they need to cut out the fatty foods, cut out the ridiculous military worship ceremonies before sports matches and hit the gym for a few generations if they want to get back to the top of the list.

seb146

Fri May 25, 2018 7:11 am

dragon6172 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

*Edited to fix type-o

This whole thing started as a protest against shooting unarmed Black Americans. I have seen a point raised about what if all the Blacks in NFL just did not play one or two weeks? There are some outstanding players in the NFL, regardless of race. But how would that work if no Black players showed up? Some others would not show up to support them, of course, but only the Black players. Especially in the heat of the play off run. Imagine....

Kiwirob

Fri May 25, 2018 7:14 am

CCGPV wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

You're just proving your ignorance yet again. So you're saying it's only good if it's played in America? I can think of plenty of sports were you won't find quality games played in the US which are played elsewhere. And the big 3 US sports, basketball, baseball and NFL, there are strong basketball and baseball leagues outside the US, nobody is really interested in NFL as it's stupid game which takes far too long, is devoid of actual game time which makes it unwatchable live, it's been killed by formatting it to fit tv advertising revenue.