Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

desertjets
Topic Author

This topic sux: Cordless vacuum advice

Tue May 29, 2018 5:06 pm

Long story short I need a good cordless vacuum cleaner that can do everything, hard floors, carpet, carpeted stairs and upholstery. Bonus points for being useful for a quick vacuum in the car as well. Long story is that my current vacuum is a well loved Kenmore canister that is frankly a PITA to use -- stairs are especially bad. It is a PITA to the point that it lives in a closet upstairs and we don't use it very often and are floors are dirtier than we'd like. So I am looking at picking up a cordless unit like the Shark HV301 or the Dyson V7. Both seem right sized to our home, both can be easily stored out of sight but in a convenient location. But one is certainly cheaper than the other... do I go with the cheaper Shark (currently $189,99 at my local Target) or do I go with the marketing and buy the more expensive Dyson (currently ON SALE for $299.99 at my local Target).
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

CCGPV

Re: This topic sux: Cordless vacuum advice

Tue May 29, 2018 6:39 pm

I've used the expensive Dyson and cheap $40 black and deckers from Walmart and honestly I think the cheap ones are just fine for almost all uses.

The battery life on the cordless Dyson (and probably other brands) is abysmal. I think putting up with a cord it way worth it in the end unless its absolutely essential to have a battery.

I take mine completely apart every year and give it a good soak and clean and its like new.
Stay curious

desertjets
Topic Author

Tue May 29, 2018 7:20 pm

How abysmal is is abysmal? Though it would be an added bonus to be able to vacuum the whole house in one swoop, our place isn't that big; barely 1200 sq ft, two stories and two bedrooms. Really I need something that I can grab easily and quickly to do a quick clean up of the kitchen floor after kiddo finishes a meal or do a quick run of the stairs every week or the upstairs hallway.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

CCGPV

Tue May 29, 2018 7:42 pm

desertjets wrote:
How abysmal is is abysmal? Though it would be an added bonus to be able to vacuum the whole house in one swoop, our place isn't that big; barely 1200 sq ft, two stories and two bedrooms. Really I need something that I can grab easily and quickly to do a quick clean up of the kitchen floor after kiddo finishes a meal or do a quick run of the stairs every week or the upstairs hallway.

No way you'll be able to vacuum a whole house on one charge- at lest with the Dyson cordless I had. I'd say 15 minutes of run time on a good day. And when it dies it just stops- it doesn't start to slow down or anything, just shuts off.

Now, if you have all wood or tile floors and have a small apartment a cordless will be just fine. Introduce carpets or high-pile rugs...its going to be difficult. You're just not going to beat the power of a corded vacuum cleaner.
Stay curious

EA CO AS

Tue May 29, 2018 8:00 pm

I've had nothing but luck with my Dyson D7 Motorhead - it's a terrific vacuum, and it's incredibly handy. It gets used far more often than my big vacuum (also a Dyson, which is 14 years old and still runs like a champ).
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

SOBHI51

Wed May 30, 2018 3:38 am

Few weeks ago i bought the Shark® IONFlex™ 2X DuoClean™ Cordless Ultra-Light Vacuum, it comes with 2 rechargeable batteries a lot of additional parts and cheaper than Dyson. Very happy with it.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

OA260

Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:37 am

flipdewaf

Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:44 am

We bought a dyson V8 and subsequently got rid of the Henry. The dyson wont do the whole house in one go but then you just whip it out more often because its so simple to do. would take 30mins to do the whole house with the Henry but it was such a ball ache that it would only get done every couple of weeks, now with the dyson there are 3 x 10 min sessions over the week which is much more manageable with a toddler running around (plus she also can use the Dyson) and for the spills that happen several times a day with a little one its invaluable to not have a cable to worry about.

Fred

Fred

mham001

Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:25 pm

A dust mop is easier on smooth, hard surfaces such as hardwood. Bona sells a small cleaning kit (vacuums don't clean) for $20 in many hardware stores that will easily eliminate any need for a mechanical contraption. Less wear on the surface too.

DIRECTFLT

Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:46 pm

I threw away the "Dirt Devil" hand held I got at Wal-Mart several years ago. The cheap battery just can't hold a charge very long. Good rechargeable batteries cost something... and I got what I paid the $20 for... a piece of junk.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

desertjets
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:08 pm

Did some poking around online and at Target this weekend and while it is still on sale I think the Dyson will win. I really do hope it lives up to the hype, but they seem to have a pretty solid product and you gotta pay to play. Though the price to pay according to the other half is that the old Kenmore canister vac will need to go. But I think for the time being it can continue to hide in the upstairs closet.