Topic Author

Roseanne canceled!!!

Tue May 29, 2018 6:20 pm

Words and actions have consequences.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/roseanne- ... st-twitter

Tugger

Re: Roseanne canceled!!!

Tue May 29, 2018 6:28 pm

She was stupid. Seriously, unbelievably stupid. I get comedy and making fun of things and saying what is never to be said, but this was just dumb. It affects anyone with dignity that works for/on her show. And how does she walk back from a comment like that?

I do suspect another network will pick her show up though, or at least try.

Tugg

Tugger

Tue May 29, 2018 6:28 pm

Brick wrote:
The late night talk show hosts have said far, far worse things about Republicans, Trump, Christians, and conservatives. Yet cancelling their shows was never considered by their respective networks.

Please site those things. I am curious.

Tugg

Brick

Tue May 29, 2018 6:29 pm

The late night talk show hosts have said far, far worse things about Republicans, Trump, Christians, and conservatives. Yet cancelling their shows was never considered by their respective networks.

CCGPV

Tue May 29, 2018 6:29 pm

Which emotions am I supposed to feel? The first person to respond will determine which side I take on this issue.

jetero

Tue May 29, 2018 6:32 pm

CCGPV wrote:
Which emotions am I supposed to feel? The first person to respond will determine which side I take on this issue.

Outraged.

No, wait, vindicated.

bagoldex
Topic Author

Tue May 29, 2018 6:34 pm

Brick wrote:

That's satire and those despicable groups have all rightly earned whatever condemnation they receive.

CCGPV

Tue May 29, 2018 6:34 pm

Tugger wrote:
Brick wrote:

Tugg

Well Seth Meyers makes fun of Eric Trump's looks almost every day. He calls him the "loser child", the weirdo, a ghoul, vampire, etc.

Just about everyone makes fun of Trump's physical appearance all the time- he's fat, he has bad skin, his hair, etc. Just apply that to any woman and would that be acceptable? Would calling Hillary Clinton a fat pig every day be something the late night crowd would do? I doubt that.

CCGPV

Tue May 29, 2018 6:35 pm

jetero wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Outraged.

No, wait, vindicated.

Vindicated. Like finally she's being held accountable for her brash opinions or that the show was cancelled?

CCGPV

Tue May 29, 2018 6:36 pm

bagoldex wrote:
Brick wrote:

That's satire and those despicable groups have all rightly earned whatever condemnation they receive.

Ah, so if you don't like someone and think they deserve it its fair game?

Flighty

Tue May 29, 2018 6:36 pm

Huh she must have been loopy on meds. Everybody knows you can't say that. They were right to cancel her show. A shame, because she was, and is very talented.

jetero

Tue May 29, 2018 6:37 pm

CCGPV wrote:
jetero wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Outraged.

No, wait, vindicated.

Vindicated. Like finally she's being held accountable for her brash opinions or that the show was cancelled?

Vindicated that she is finally getting her just desserts over her trashing of our beautiful national anthem, of course.

CCGPV

Tue May 29, 2018 6:41 pm

jetero wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
jetero wrote:

Outraged.

No, wait, vindicated.

Vindicated that she is finally getting her just desserts over her trashing of our beautiful national anthem, of course.

Yes indeed that was a heck of a performance. Its in the so bad its great category.

Its about time her true self pay for the actions she's known to share from time to time. She has a long history of this sort of behavior and its a good thing the enlightened world is seeing her for what she is= a fat, racist, pig of a woman.

bagoldex
Topic Author

Tue May 29, 2018 6:48 pm

CCGPV wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
Brick wrote:

When it comes to people and organizations who promote racism and discrimination, one's either on the right side or the wrong side of the issue. Roseanne for example and many in the GOP and many who call themselves Christians have placed themselves squarely on the wrong side of virtually every issue..

On the topic of Roseanne though, I do like John Goodman and some of the others. It's somewhat disappointing that the writers couldn't have killed off Roseanne’s character, perhaps with a fentanyl OD or a stairlift mishap, and continued the show under the name ‘Dan’.

seb146

Tue May 29, 2018 6:53 pm

CCGPV wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Brick wrote:

Tugg

Well Seth Meyers makes fun of Eric Trump's looks almost every day. He calls him the "loser child", the weirdo, a ghoul, vampire, etc.

Just about everyone makes fun of Trump's physical appearance all the time- he's fat, he has bad skin, his hair, etc. Just apply that to any woman and would that be acceptable? Would calling Hillary Clinton a fat pig every day be something the late night crowd would do? I doubt that.

Actually, tRump called Hillary a nasty woman and crooked. No proof, just said those things. It is clear, from pics and videos that Eric and Donnie have bad skin and health problems. Oh, also, let's not forget "bleeding out of her... whatever..." comment and "grab her by the pu$$y comment.

Yeah, totally the same thing....

einsteinboricua

Tue May 29, 2018 6:53 pm

Flighty wrote:
Huh she must have been loopy on meds. Everybody knows you can't say that. They were right to cancel her show. A shame, because she was, and is very talented.

She's losing it. Her performance for the season seems too scripted, like she was reciting something.

seb146

Tue May 29, 2018 6:55 pm

The right: WAAAAA!!! Why do people hate freedom of speech!!!! WAAAAA!!!
Also the right: I hate the stoopid libtards have opinions different than mine and they should be banned!!!

I think that her stupid tweets were the catalyst for cancelling her show. I think there were just enough ratings for her to get a renewal for a second season but it probably would have been cancelled after that.

CCGPV

Tue May 29, 2018 7:02 pm

seb146 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Actually, tRump called Hillary a nasty woman and crooked. No proof, just said those things. It is clear, from pics and videos that Eric and Donnie have bad skin and health problems. Oh, also, let's not forget "bleeding out of her... whatever..." comment and "grab her by the pu$$y comment.

Yeah, totally the same thing....

Nobody is calling it the same thing.

We're talking about entertainers on network TV doing it, not Trump. They do it but lose their minds when someone else makes a joke about the physical appearance of someone its just over the line!!!

CCGPV

Tue May 29, 2018 7:03 pm

bagoldex wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
bagoldex wrote:

When it comes to people and organizations who promote racism and discrimination, one's either on the right side or the wrong side of the issue. Roseanne for example and many in the GOP and many who call themselves Christians have placed themselves squarely on the wrong side of virtually every issue..

On the topic of Roseanne though, I do like John Goodman and some of the others. It's somewhat disappointing that the writers couldn't have killed off Roseanne’s character, perhaps with a fentanyl OD or a stairlift mishap, and continued the show under the name ‘Dan’.

Like I said if you disagree with someone and call them racists then it is OK to make fun of them and their physical looks.

Flighty

Tue May 29, 2018 7:05 pm

bagoldex wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
bagoldex wrote:

Good idea. They could have done what they did on Silicon Valley, cremated a rotting pig in place of the character, then rave about how bad it smells and how glad they are the character is gone.

einsteinboricua

Tue May 29, 2018 7:07 pm

seb146 wrote:
The right: WAAAAA!!! Why do people hate freedom of speech!!!! WAAAAA!!!
Also the right: I hate the stoopid libtards have opinions different than mine and they should be banned!!!

FREEDOM OF SPEECH!! :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit:

Never mind that the 1st Amendment ensures you can say whatever you want and the GOVERNMENT can't do anything about it. But if corporations are people, then surely they have freedom of speech as well and can decide how to use that freedom...

mbmbos

Tue May 29, 2018 7:17 pm

CCGPV wrote:

She compared a black person to a character in Planet of the Apes. Are you okay with that?

seb146

Tue May 29, 2018 7:21 pm

CCGPV wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Like I said if you disagree with someone and call them racists then it is OK to make fun of them and their physical looks.

And people do both. But, the difference is actually being racist vs. making fun of peoples looks.

MaverickM11

Tue May 29, 2018 7:26 pm

Brick wrote:

Such as?

einsteinboricua wrote:
Flighty wrote:

She's losing it. Her performance for the season seems too scripted, like she was reciting something.

She's always been crazy. The right hated her guts before they very recently took a liking to her because she fell for Trump.

NIKV69

Tue May 29, 2018 7:28 pm

Tugger wrote:
Brick wrote:

Tugg

https://ethicist.blogs.nytimes.com/2009 ... alin-joke/

casinterest

Tue May 29, 2018 7:32 pm

ABC was well within their rights to cancel the Roseanne show. However I do have to wonder if Fox-News ownership will snap up the show and continue it. Ratings were strong for it's slot.

Roseanne was absolutely racist and abhorrent in her rants, but other personalities have done the same , and they have been given a pass by Disney corporate.

CCGPV

Tue May 29, 2018 7:33 pm

seb146 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
bagoldex wrote:

And people do both. But, the difference is actually being racist vs. making fun of peoples looks.

Ok. Making fun of the way someone looks on TV is OK as long is its not based on their race.

MaverickM11

Tue May 29, 2018 7:33 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Brick wrote:

Tugg

Letterman called Palin's whore daughter a whore? Quelle whorreur! Sounds like he hit the bulls eye--if you don't practice what you preach (abstinence only yadda yadda yadda) then you are fair game.

MaverickM11

Tue May 29, 2018 7:34 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Brick wrote:

Tugg

Letterman called Palin's whore daughter a whore? Quelle whorreur! Sounds like he hit the bulls eye--if you don't practice what you preach (abstinence only yadda yadda yadda) then you are fair game.

CCGPV

Tue May 29, 2018 7:35 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

So insults, racism and things like that are OK if they deserve it.

CCGPV

Tue May 29, 2018 7:37 pm

mbmbos wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

She compared a black person to a character in Planet of the Apes. Are you okay with that?

I don't care. I'm not getting outraged by what someone says on Twitter. Just like I don't care when some Antifa nutjob does something stupid. Its not worth my time.

Its rediculous.

As we've seen in this very thread as long as the person "deserves" it they can be made fun of based on their gender, weight, age, looks, etc. As long as they are a hypocrite they are fair game. Its insanity.

"She was wearing slutty clothes why wouldn't she want me to grab her ass. She's being a hypocrite!"

MaverickM11

Tue May 29, 2018 7:40 pm

CCGPV wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Who said anything about racism? If you campaign on 'traditional family values', abstinence only, taking away sex education, contraception, and access to family planning but pop out two kids out of wedlock while your brother is beating the bejesus out of your dad? You betcha! You are deserving of all the insults coming your way.

luckyone

Tue May 29, 2018 7:43 pm

Social commentary and valid (to a point) argument about hypocrisy aside...ABC is a private corporation, who reserves the right to do whatever they please. Sucks when capitalism, the golden rule (He who has the gold makes the rules), and private business interests blow up in your face and work against you. Seriously, "outraged" people on both sides of the ideological spectrum have more in common with each other than they apparently realize...
MaverickM11 wrote:
Brick wrote:

Such as?

einsteinboricua wrote:
Flighty wrote:

She's always been crazy. The right hated her guts before they very recently took a liking to her because she fell for Trump.

Roseanne had been talking about a reboot of her show for years, well before Trump announced his candidacy. I will never know, but it wouldn't surprise if Roseanne had a long view of the publicity in the build up for her show, and used her rather out-of-character support for Trump as free publicity. We're talking about a woman who is a hard-core feminist, pro-union/labor, anti-corporation, pro-choice, pro-LGBT right, etc
Last edited by luckyone on Tue May 29, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mbmbos

Tue May 29, 2018 7:43 pm

CCGPV wrote:
mbmbos wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

I don't care. I'm not getting outraged by what someone says on Twitter. Just like I don't care when some Antifa nutjob does something stupid. Its not worth my time.

Its rediculous.

As we've seen in this very thread as long as the person "deserves" it they can be made fun of based on their gender, weight, age, looks, etc. As long as they are a hypocrite they are fair game. Its insanity.

"She was wearing slutty clothes why wouldn't she want me to grab her ass. She's being a hypocrite!"

You don't care? Wow!

Then you launch into a straw man argument. Those who renounce Roseanne for her racism are hypocrites because they say hurtful things about people when they think they deserve it? What a rambling, untethered line of thought.

It's really simple: compare a black person to an ape and you've said something overtly racist, and you deserve blowback. That you cannot grasp that reveals so much about you.

CCGPV

Tue May 29, 2018 7:46 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Who said anything about racism? If you campaign on 'traditional family values', abstinence only, taking away sex education, contraception, and access to family planning but pop out two kids out of wedlock while your brother is beating the bejesus out of your dad? You betcha! You are deserving of all the insults coming your way.

Like I said, if you are judged at being a hypocrite you can be made fun of based on your gender, looks, weight, etc. Its fine and acceptable to do that.

Insults and things like that are allowed against those we dislike and judge to be bad people. Its not that insults are bad or wrong or send the wrong message to kids- its that they are deserving to some people. We need to do a better job at teaching our kids who is and is not fair game to insult.

2122M

Tue May 29, 2018 7:48 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Brick wrote:

Tugg

Did you read that article? The whole article is in defense of Letterman's admittedly bad, but otherwise harmless joke. And while even Letterman apologized and admitted it was a bad joke, it was not at all racist, unlike the Roseanne Tweet. At the very worst it was mild slut-shaming, something "pro-lifers" on the right usually embrace wholeheartedly.

CCGPV

Tue May 29, 2018 7:49 pm

mbmbos wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
mbmbos wrote:

Its rediculous.

You don't care? Wow!

Then you launch into a straw man argument. Those who renounce Roseanne for her racism are hypocrites because they say hurtful things about people when they think they deserve it? What a rambling, untethered line of thought.

It's really simple: compare a black person to an ape and you've said something overtly racist, and you deserve blowback. That you cannot grasp that reveals so much about you.

Like I said she deserves to be made fun of because of what she said. We can make fun of her physical characteristics because she's a racist. I AGREE WITH YOU.

Either personal insults are bad or they should be allowed for people that "deserve" it. And if they are allowed in certain circumstances you don't get to decide.

She, like Sarah Sanders, is an ugly fat mess. They're racist and awful people so its all good.
Last edited by CCGPV on Tue May 29, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CCGPV

Tue May 29, 2018 7:51 pm

God I miss Patrice Oneal.

He would have had such good material at all this fake outrage.

MikeDrop

Tue May 29, 2018 7:52 pm

Flighty wrote:

She crossed a line you cant cross, and the network really had no choice. Its unfortunate for the other actors on the show and for the stockholders of the network. Whatever was going on with her that day has cost a lot of people a lot of money, not to mention the distress that her victim must have felt.

EA CO AS

Tue May 29, 2018 7:55 pm

What a shame. The Clinton/Soros joke? Eh, whatever. But the Valerie Jarrett comment definitely crossed a huge line.

As the saying goes, with great power comes great responsibility. And Roseanne abused that power, so this is the consequence.

I feel badly for the rest of the cast and the crew, especially after just getting renewed. You know there are likely many of them who are having to sell that car they'd just bought, cancel that vacation, back out of the home purchase, etc. All because Roseanne decided to make tasteless comments online.

luckyone wrote:
Social commentary and valid (to a point) argument about hypocrisy aside...ABC is a private corporation, who reserves the right to do whatever they please.

I agree. Can I assume then that you'll also defend the NFL for their policy on the national anthem, then?

jetwet1

Tue May 29, 2018 7:58 pm

I feel sorry for John Goodman, I have always liked him.

Roseanne.... After listening to an interview with her when she was a nut farmer on the Big Island you couldn't help but wonder if the solitude had turned her into an even stranger character than we knew her to be.

CCGPV

Tue May 29, 2018 7:59 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
What a shame. The Clinton/Soros joke? Eh, whatever. But the Valerie Jarrett comment definitely crossed a huge line.

As the saying goes, with great power comes great responsibility. And Roseanne abused that power, so this is the consequence.

I feel badly for the rest of the cast and the crew, especially after just getting renewed. You know there are likely many of them who are having to sell that car they'd just bought, cancel that vacation, back out of the home purchase, etc. All because Roseanne decided to make tasteless comments online.

Its worth hundreds and hundreds of people losing their jobs and livelihoods so we can punish what one person said on a Twitter account that was apologized for deleted shortly afterwards.

Its a necessary evil.

What a world.

luckyone

Tue May 29, 2018 8:01 pm

EA CO AS wrote:

luckyone wrote:
Social commentary and valid (to a point) argument about hypocrisy aside...ABC is a private corporation, who reserves the right to do whatever they please.

I agree. Can I assume then that you'll also defend the NFL for their policy on the national anthem, then?

If they had penalized Tim Tebow for doing the same when he kneeled citing protest of a government that supports abortion...then yeah.
jetwet1 wrote:
I feel sorry for John Goodman, I have always liked him.

Roseanne.... After listening to an interview with her when she was a nut farmer on the Big Island you couldn't help but wonder if the solitude had turned her into an even stranger character than we knew her to be.

Roseanne is nuts. Water is wet. No news there.
Last edited by luckyone on Tue May 29, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EA CO AS

Tue May 29, 2018 8:02 pm

CCGPV wrote:
Its worth hundreds and hundreds of people losing their jobs and livelihoods so we can punish what one person said on a Twitter account that was apologized for deleted shortly afterwards.

No, to me it's not, but it's also not my call, it's ABC/Disney that made that call, as is their right as a private employer.

CCGPV

Tue May 29, 2018 8:07 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

No, to me it's not, but it's also not my call, it's ABC/Disney that made that call, as is their right as a private employer.

Exactly.

jetero

Tue May 29, 2018 8:08 pm

luckyone wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

luckyone wrote:

If they had penalized Tim Tebow for doing the same when he kneeled citing protest of a government that supports abortion...then yeah.

Since we’re on the topic, is Timmy still a virgin?

2122M

Tue May 29, 2018 8:10 pm

CCGPV wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

Its a necessary evil.

What a world.

Hundreds and hundreds of jobs? I admit I don't know the exact number, but I can promise you the number of jobs that rely solely on this one show is very, very small, and most if not all will find plenty of similar opportunities very quickly. And I'm sure if the other actors (and even Roseanne) have even half decent agents, they will all be getting the money they were promised and can take the vacations they have planned. Even the crew will just move onto the next project. They are union anyway, they'll get paid.

Once again, you show a need to go overly big and dramatic in these arguments (while simultaneously claiming to not care and that its all faux outrage)

Anyway, It's not a necessary evil, its just necessary.

CCGPV

Tue May 29, 2018 8:13 pm

jetero wrote:
luckyone wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

Since we’re on the topic, is Timmy still a virgin?

Hopefully.

EA CO AS

Tue May 29, 2018 8:13 pm

luckyone wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
Can I assume then that you'll also defend the NFL for their policy on the national anthem, then?

Might want to check your facts:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tim-t ... el-anthem/

So again, you'll defend the NFL for their policy on the national anthem, then?
Last edited by EA CO AS on Tue May 29, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NIKV69

Tue May 29, 2018 8:16 pm

CCGPV wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

No only if they are spoke from a Democrat insulting a Republican