Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dutchy
Topic Author

TV evangelist and their planes

Wed May 30, 2018 8:04 pm

A televangelist wants his followers to pay for a $54 million private jet. It’s his fourth plane.

If Jesus were to descend from heaven and physically set foot on 21st-century Earth, prosperity gospel televangelist Jesse Duplantis told his followers, the Redeemer would probably take a pass on riding on the back of a donkey: “He’d be on an airplane preaching the gospel all over the world.”

And Duplantis thinks the Light of the World wouldn’t exactly settle for 30 inches of legroom or getting patted down by TSA.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... 7537a14d29

Why do people give these guys their money to buy a privet jet? For me, raised a Protestant, but lost my faith a long time ago if I truly believed at all, it is too bizarre.

I must say he does have a fine taste in a/c;

Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

LAX772LR

Re: TV evangelist and their planes

Wed May 30, 2018 8:16 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Why do people give these guys their money to buy a privet jet?

Because blind devotion to religion trumps all logic. :(

Sadly, I have friends/relatives back in Louisiana who've (literally) bought in to this nonsense.
The "Prosperity Gospel" is, perhaps after the concept of insurance, the 2nd greatest scheme ever pulled on humanity. :(
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

LAXdude1023

Wed May 30, 2018 8:18 pm

Who has got it easier than a preacher? They sell an invisible product and the religion itself teaches you to be as a sheep and follow.

These yahoo's run around selling this garbage so they can have a private plane and live in a giant "parsonage" meanwhile there are people starving and people who have literally nothing. People actually believe it despite the fact that (at least according to the Bible) Jesus talked explicitly about giving to those who were less fortunate and giving your riches away.

Maybe someone can convince me that religion doesnt turn people stupid, but I have yet to really see it.
Last edited by LAXdude1023 on Wed May 30, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

LAX772LR

Wed May 30, 2018 8:19 pm

If you want to see for yourselves, here's an example:

Video of the Money Dance, at The Word of Life church:
https://youtu.be/AYxeTjrckl0?t=33s

Watch the people get caught up, and *run* to the altar to throw down their money.
And just so you know, they aren't just throwing Ones....

This took place in Darrow, Louisiana; a part of Ascension Parish (county).

The per-capita income of Ascension is $17,800/yr......
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascension ... mographics

Think about that. Then watch that video again. :(
Last edited by LAX772LR on Wed May 30, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seabear

Wed May 30, 2018 8:21 pm

Fools and their money...

KLAXAirport

Wed May 30, 2018 8:22 pm

Myself, as a committed and devout Christian, find this as a very poor representation of what our faith is about. I think it gives a poor connotation to what it means to be a Christian. My faith is based in love and selflessness, whether that be for God or others. I totally understand how its impossible to see buying a Private Jet meets that criteria. After all, the heart of the members is what matters being a Christian at a church with 50,000 members that can afford a private jet or a Christian at a small community church. Just my two cents. Kinda pathetic to buy a jet though...

Cheers,
KLAXAirport

jetero

Wed May 30, 2018 8:34 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
after the concept of insurance, the 2nd greatest scheme ever pulled on humanity. :(

I'm sorry, what?

bennett123

Wed May 30, 2018 8:37 pm

Jesus preached humility.

This guy is a Snake Oil Salesman.

Only difference is he sells religion.

Shameless preying on the vulnerable.

flyingclrs727

Wed May 30, 2018 8:50 pm

Oh Lord won't you buy me a Global Express?

Seabear

Wed May 30, 2018 9:02 pm

KLAXAirport wrote:
Myself, as a committed and devout Christian, find this as a very poor representation of what our faith is about. I think it gives a poor connotation to what it means to be a Christian. My faith is based in love and selflessness, whether that be for God or others. I totally understand how its impossible to see buying a Private Jet meets that criteria. After all, the heart of the members is what matters being a Christian at a church with 50,000 members that can afford a private jet or a Christian at a small community church. Just my two cents. Kinda pathetic to buy a jet though...

Cheers,
KLAXAirport

Alas, it's always the exceptions that prove the rule.

CCGPV

Wed May 30, 2018 9:05 pm

If people are dumb enough to buy into this prosperity gospel garbage then more power to him.

A fool and his money....
Stay curious

smallvoyageur

Wed May 30, 2018 9:07 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Why do people give these guys their money to buy a privet jet?

Because blind devotion to religion trumps all logic. :(

Sadly, I have friends/relatives back in Louisiana who've (literally) bought in to this nonsense.
The "Prosperity Gospel" is, perhaps after the concept of insurance, the 2nd greatest scheme ever pulled on humanity. :(

Ironically John Oliver told in wonderful terms about the prosperity gospel in all in quirks, plus on how it bankrupts a lot of its followers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1xJAVZxXg

LAX772LR

Wed May 30, 2018 9:12 pm

KLAXAirport wrote:
at a church with 50,000 members that can afford a private jet

The issue at hand is never "can they afford it," as we know many of them can.

The point of contention is why in God's name (literally) would you choose to spend $50million+ on THAT?!
...how many kids in their community could they send to college?
...how many people in their vicinity could they FEED? CLOTHE?
...how many young families could they help with a downpayment on a HOME, so they could start building equity?
...how many Americans drowning in medical debt (often at no fault of their own) could they RELIEVE?

There will likely never be an end to the demand for all of the above, but every contribution helps.
But they're going to spend $50million on a jet, so one man's magical tushy will never have to touch anything but the finest Australian sheepskin while at 30,000ft? And then no doubt pay for the operation and upkeep?

Nah, that's a sickness. Afford it or not.

L0VE2FLY

Wed May 30, 2018 9:27 pm

To describe anyone who falls for these slimeballs as utterly stupid would be a huge understatement.

bennett123 wrote:
Jesus preached humility.

:checkmark: Exactly, I wonder what these Televangelists think when they read this Jesus quote...

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God"

There's no two ways to interpret it, is there?!

dfwjim1

Wed May 30, 2018 9:30 pm

KLAXAirport wrote:

Cheers,
KLAXAirport

I am a Christian too and I find that the prosperity preachers really give the Christian faith a bad name. I was watching a YouTube video of an interview with Kenneth Copeland and he said that he used his private jet to avoid flying in commercial airliners filled with demons...LOL.

LAX772LR

Wed May 30, 2018 9:34 pm

L0VE2FLY wrote:
"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God"

Actually, there is.

I'm guessing 90%+ of people who read that phrase have no idea what it ACTUALLY means, and believe it's a metaphor for impossibility, due to thinking it has something to do with a literal needle.

The "eye of a needle" is the (poorly translated) term used to indicate non-frontal entrances to walled cities that were intentionally kept small, in order to be easily plugged during an invasion attempt. Here's a picture of such a gate in the city of Nazareth in the early 1900s.

People wishing to enter/exit anywhere but the primary entrance would have to untack the cargo from their camels, and the camels were trained to lower their front knees (while still keeping their hind legs/haunches fully erect) and crawl through the openings.

It was not in any way impossible... it was just a pain-in-the-ass.
Which is basically what Christ's metaphor is comparing.
Last edited by LAX772LR on Wed May 30, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pdt2f

Wed May 30, 2018 9:35 pm

My parish priest, living in the church rectory and basically making no income, would find the portrayal of the clergy as rich amusing, to say the least.

The reason prosperity gospel offends everyone except those who fall for it is because it’s a heresy. Heresies always overemphasize ideas to the point that they have no relation to truth.
“The sky peoclaims God’s glory - the vault of heaven, the Hand of Him who made it.”

BNA based.

EvanWSFO

Wed May 30, 2018 10:08 pm

IMHO, there is a huge difference between "religion" and being a "Believer". I was disenchanted from growing up in a very conservative denomination. It took 30 years but I found a non-judgemental, non-affiliated church. My grandmother used to send half of her social security to these scheisters. My mom and her sister flipped when they found out. People like this, worship false idols, that idol being money. Besides, Jesus is omnipresent, which mean he is everywhere. He doesn't need a jet. (Yes, it's a nice one though).
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

LAX772LR

Wed May 30, 2018 10:08 pm

pdt2f wrote:
My parish priest, living in the church rectory and basically making no income, would find the portrayal of the clergy as rich amusing

While I'm sure your priest is a nice guy--- methinks the Catholic church doesn't exactly have much leg to stand on, on the issue:

Pretty sure all those gold altars, thrones, chalices, and figurines (not to mention real estate) could go a longggggg way towards succoring the poor, if liquidated. Just saying.

flyingturtle

Wed May 30, 2018 10:09 pm

What would Jesus do?

...grab a bazooka and finish off those temples of idolatry.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

L0VE2FLY

Wed May 30, 2018 10:37 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
L0VE2FLY wrote:

Actually, there is.

I'm guessing 90%+ of people who read that phrase have no idea what it ACTUALLY means, and believe it's a metaphor for impossibility, due to thinking it has something to do with a literal needle.

The "eye of a needle" is the (poorly translated) term used to indicate non-frontal entrances to walled cities that were intentionally kept small, in order to be easily plugged during an invasion attempt. Here's a picture of such a gate in the city of Nazareth in the early 1900s.

Traditional Christians don't subscribe to this interpretation but I guess it's used by these jet-setting crooks, Jesus unequivocally and completely rejected materialism and greed.

citationjet

Wed May 30, 2018 10:50 pm

You could purchase 10,800 airline tickets averaging $5,000 each for the $54M price tag of the 7X. Purchasing airline tickets instead would also eliminate the costs of crew, fuel, insurance, maintenance, and hanger space for the 7X.

Jesse Duplantis says that God told him that "you need a Falcon 7X".
The Falcon marketing department is missing a great opportunity here. Falcon's new marketing slogan should be: "Falcon 7X, the business jet recommended by God himself".

Jesse's congregation is donating tax deductible contributions to purchase the jet. The church is tax exempt, and can own and operate the plane without paying taxes. In a sense, we taxpayers are helping to foot the bill.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

DarthLobster

Wed May 30, 2018 11:01 pm

To borrow from a famous fictional captain...

”What does God need with an airplane?”

MaverickM11

Wed May 30, 2018 11:28 pm

Trump really missed his calling as an evangelist. If he could even feign asking for forgiveness he'd be the perfect megachurch pastor.

bennett123 wrote:
Jesus preached humility.

Jesus has left the building. It's hard to find any trace of him among evangelicals.
I don't take responsibility at all

maortega15

Thu May 31, 2018 12:36 am

Tugger

Thu May 31, 2018 3:00 am

DarthLobster wrote:

Excuse me but how else is "God is my copilot"?

Seriously, some people just don't get it...

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

LAX772LR

Thu May 31, 2018 4:53 am

L0VE2FLY wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
L0VE2FLY wrote:

Actually, there is.

Traditional Christians don't subscribe to this interpretation

Which would serve as yet another example of how divorced from fact/reality that some "traditional Christians" choose to be. ;)

You can disagree to the extent that the verse rejects materialism. That's of course completely subjective.

You can't however disagree what he's actually talking about though-- as that's describing a historically documented activity that's still observable even in modern times. That wouldn't be "disagreement," that would just be willful delusion.

DarthLobster

Thu May 31, 2018 6:00 am

Tugger wrote:
DarthLobster wrote:

Excuse me but how else is "God is my copilot"?

Seriously, some people just don't get it...

Tugg

That phrase always bothered me. If you have God as a copilot, why not just let him drive?

texdravid

Thu May 31, 2018 6:40 am

I just knew that this topic of his hideous preacher and his flagrant greed would be catnip for the Christian hating leftists of these boards.

As always, the initiator of this topic and all of his amen corner seek to paint a very broad brush on Christians in general with this story.

Well, I am neither a Christian nor am I particularly religious. However I can see rank leftist opportunism when I see it and this topic is being used to hammer the 99% of Christians who are wonderful, humble, and tolerant people.

I have a question for the distinguished leftist and militant atheists on this board:

Does the atheist Stalin who murdered millions represent atheists?

Mao killed millions more with his nonsense. Does he represent atheism?

Anytime you turn on the tv and see some militant atheists ridiculing people who pray or go to temple/church/mosques...is that behavior acceptable?

I know what makes most of you atheists ticks on this board. You hate religion for not supporting your lifestyles and you all are just as guilty as this horrible preacher with his jet.

Quit the anti-religious bigotry and generalizations.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

einsteinboricua

Thu May 31, 2018 10:46 am

texdravid wrote:
I just knew that this topic of his hideous preacher and his flagrant greed would be catnip for the Christian hating leftists of these boards.

As always, the initiator of this topic and all of his amen corner seek to paint a very broad brush on Christians in general with this story.

Well, I am neither a Christian nor am I particularly religious. However I can see rank leftist opportunism when I see it and this topic is being used to hammer the 99% of Christians who are wonderful, humble, and tolerant people.

I have a question for the distinguished leftist and militant atheists on this board:

Anytime you turn on the tv and see some militant atheists ridiculing people who pray or go to temple/church/mosques...is that behavior acceptable?

I know what makes most of you atheists ticks on this board. You hate religion for not supporting your lifestyles and you all are just as guilty as this horrible preacher with his jet.

Funny how you left out Muslims...does ISIS represent all Muslims? Does Al-Qaeda? The Taliban? Boko Haram?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Flighty

Thu May 31, 2018 11:01 am

I think it is great. More power to them.

blueflyer

Thu May 31, 2018 12:04 pm

I don't know why the article mentions Jesse Duplantis and Kenneth Copeland in the same paragraph, 'cause they really are not in the same league.

Even with a Falcon 7X, Duplantis is a mere wannabe.

Not only does Copeland have five already, but he has his own airport (4T2) to keep them away from demonic eyes! Now, that's evangelical class!

2122M

Thu May 31, 2018 12:17 pm

texdravid wrote:

Stalin and Mao didn't murder anyone in the name of Athiesm. They did it for political power and control. Most religious crimes (including this mass theft of the poor by this televangelist) are done using religion as the justification. That's the primary difference as I see it.

texdravid wrote:

I've literally never seen this type of behavior in the US before (with the possible exception of the Westboro Baptist Church who deserves everything they get). You are inventing something just so you can get mad about it.

CitizenJustin

Thu May 31, 2018 12:35 pm

texdravid wrote:

You can turn anything into a left vs. right argument regardless the topic. If we were talking about cake, you’d still figure out a way to get a political jab in there.

CitizenJustin

Thu May 31, 2018 12:36 pm

God and his chosen ones always need more money. It’s never enough.

DarkSnowyNight

Thu May 31, 2018 1:06 pm

DarthLobster wrote:

That phrase always bothered me. If you have God as a copilot, why not just let him drive?

Easy one... That guy took his very favorite people and and got them lost in the fucking desert for forty years. He also thinks burning bushes, floods, and toast prints are viable methods of communication. Then there was that other time he guided a boat full of animals into a freaking mountain.

I'm not anything like impressed enough with his piloting, navigation or communication skills to let him drive anything I'm in. But that's just me.

CitizenJustin wrote:
You can turn anything into a left vs. right argument regardless the topic. If we were talking about cake, you’d still figure out a way to get a political jab in there.

Here, I'll save him the effort.

Cake is for queers and libruls. Real, red blooded, god fearin' Amuricans eat pie. Says it right there in the song.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

casinterest

Thu May 31, 2018 1:37 pm

"Copeland and Duplantis also discussed the necessity of private jets on a 2016 episode of Copeland's show, "Believer's Voice of Victory," during which Copeland described commercial air travel as being "in a long tube with a bunch of demons."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/30/us/jesse ... index.html

There you have it Anet. We are all a bunch of demons on those passengers planes. Such sweet loving Christians these two thieves are.
Where ever you go, there you are.

SkyGourmet

Thu May 31, 2018 2:15 pm

It's always good to see that the last trijet in production is still going strong.

MaverickM11

Thu May 31, 2018 2:28 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
God and his chosen ones always need more money. It’s never enough.

"God loves you. He loves you and He needs money" -George Carlin

texdravid wrote:

#triggered
Last edited by MaverickM11 on Thu May 31, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2122M

Thu May 31, 2018 2:30 pm

SkyGourmet wrote:
It's always good to see that the last trijet in production is still going strong.

Don't forget about the Falcon 8X and 900 too!

BartSimpson

Thu May 31, 2018 2:57 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:

And that's why I don't understand that you still try to argue with these guys. It's hopeless and just a waste of time. Even ignoring would be too much of an honor for them...

Flighty

Thu May 31, 2018 3:26 pm

These guys are entertainers. In terms of religion, they are flaming, hellbound, grifting goblins who will meet an atrocious fate. It's the second or third-oldest profession. Amen!!! Hallelujah!!

TSS

Thu May 31, 2018 6:41 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
My parish priest, living in the church rectory and basically making no income, would find the portrayal of the clergy as rich amusing

While I'm sure your priest is a nice guy--- methinks the Catholic church doesn't exactly have much leg to stand on, on the issue:

Pretty sure all those gold altars, thrones, chalices, and figurines (not to mention real estate) could go a longggggg way towards succoring the poor, if liquidated. Just saying.

Comedian Buddy Hackett used to tell a story about taking a tour of the Vatican during which he brought up the exact same point you make. According to Mister Hackett, the Vatican's response was "Absconde obeso illegitimo", which was Latin for "Get out of here, you fat bastard!".
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

CCGPV

Thu May 31, 2018 6:44 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

And that's why I don't understand that you still try to argue with these guys. It's hopeless and just a waste of time. Even ignoring would be too much of an honor for them...

Its like playing with dogs. They're generally quite stupid but its still fun to watch them chase after sticks over and over and over.
Stay curious

texdravid

Thu May 31, 2018 8:28 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
texdravid wrote:

Funny how you left out Muslims...does ISIS represent all Muslims? Does Al-Qaeda? The Taliban? Boko Haram?

Muslims have a different problem.
99% of Muslims do not practice terrorism.
However over 50% tolerate and somewhat support Sharia law and do not eject the terror strain from their religion. The “they asked for it” line is unfortunately too prevalent.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Thu May 31, 2018 8:35 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Jesus has left the building. It's hard to find any trace of him among evangelicals.

There is a fysical trace though: the grave of Jezus in India.

Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

jetero

Thu May 31, 2018 8:38 pm

texdravid wrote:

Hey Dinesh, congrats on your pardon today!

2122M

Thu May 31, 2018 8:45 pm

texdravid wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
texdravid wrote:

Muslims have a different problem.
99% of Muslims do not practice terrorism.
However over 50% tolerate and somewhat support Sharia law and do not eject the terror strain from their religion. The “they asked for it” line is unfortunately too prevalent.

What kind of studies have you conducted to come to this conclusion? Or if this is based on someone else's study, can you provide a link?

MaverickM11

Thu May 31, 2018 9:07 pm

WingsFan wrote:
jetero wrote:
texdravid wrote:

Hey Dinesh, congrats on your pardon today!

:rotfl: :wave:

LOL...he can finally go back to writing how all liberals are Nazis. Including Trump's very fine ones.

LockheedBBD

Thu May 31, 2018 9:16 pm

If Jesus were to descend from heaven and physically set foot on 21st-century Earth, prosperity gospel televangelist Jesse Duplantis told his followers, the Redeemer would probably take a pass on riding on the back of a donkey: “He’d be on an airplane preaching the gospel all over the world.”

And Duplantis thinks the Light of the World wouldn’t exactly settle for 30 inches of legroom or getting patted down by TSA.

Good for him. He has worked hard to corral a feebly minded herd into a playpen for his enjoyment. You have to be a fool to believe that he needs to buy a $54 million jet to do his "charity" work. Jesse Duplantis is an entertainer of sorts. He is the opiate for his herd. He says jump, his herd asks, "how high?". Jesse is living the American Dream. Hallelujah! :praise: :cloudnine: