falstaff
Topic Author

Do boycotts actually work in the modern era?

Thu May 31, 2018 5:02 pm

Do boycotts actually work in the modern era? The thread about somebody here canceling their membership to Netflix because they don't like Obama got me thinking about this. I have other people tell me I should cancel my account because as a conservative I should be outraged. I could really care less about who they hire because I only watch the programing I want.

A couple decades ago I stopped buying Levis because they were supposedly anti gun, but after I while I realized me not buy Levis was not hurting the company one bit, but was keeping me from using something I previously enjoyed.

Lately liberal and conservative snowflakes are calling for a boycott on all kinds businesses because they do or do not support some sort of political cause. A few years ago some people were saying that we should boycott Chick Fil-a and Hobby Lobby, but those businesses are still around and all that boycotting by a few people made no difference. Lately my fellow conservatives are saying I should boycott Dick's Sporting Goods because they choose to not sell a specific type of firearm. I don't see Dick's declaring bankruptcy due to lack of business. With that being said what is the point; apparently real Americans buy what they want and aren't generally deterred by political causes.

Historically boycotts like the bus boycott in Montgomery and the boycott of South African goods worked well and helped bring about a change in society, but the world has changed a lot since then. My personal feeling is that a lot of these "boycott something for the political cause of the day" is really something that gets started by people who probably don't use the product to begin with and they feel self righteous starting a boycott. I can see a local boycott of a local business working to bring pressure to conform, but on a large scale I can't see a boycott working because too many people could care less about any particular issue.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

CCGPV

Re: Do boycotts actually work in the modern era?

Thu May 31, 2018 5:08 pm

They generally do not work. Can we come up with any of the major ones that did? People want their social media posts to get some likes and they want to feel like they're making a difference but they don't really care in the end.

Target for the bathroom thing? Nope.
Starbucks? Nah.
Hannity/Ingraham? Bigger than ever.
Nexflix? Please.
BP? Ha.
Chick-Fil-A? Fastest growing chain in the USA.

Boycotts work when people are actually upset and outraged at something legitimate. These recent boycotts are media manufactured outrage. Smart companies in the face of a modern day boycott just go dark for a few weeks and come out on the other side smelling roses.
Stay curious

ACDC8

Thu May 31, 2018 5:12 pm

I choose to give my spending dollars to the company that offers the product/service I’m looking for and gives me the best product/service I’m looking for. Who they hire or fire, their political stance, social views or whatever has 0.00000000000% affect on my purchasing decisions or concerns.

A lot of people here keep calling to boycott certain gas stations because of the high prices. But no one ever does. Just a lot of talk but when it comes down to it, for most people nothing changes.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

MaverickM11

Thu May 31, 2018 5:14 pm

E pur si muove -Galileo

falstaff
Topic Author

Thu May 31, 2018 5:25 pm

CCGPV wrote:
People want their social media posts to get some likes and they want to feel like they're making a difference but they don't really care in the end.

Recently I was seeing a lot of people on Facebook saying I should stand with the NRA and not buy any Yeti products. I asked them if they were NRA members and owned any yeti products. The answer was no to both questions 100% of the time. My response was "If you really want to support the NRA join them. Since you don't own a Yeti item already you probably aren't going to buy one." You can't support the NRA without giving them money and you can't hurt Yeti by not buying something you weren't going to buy to begin with.

CCGPV

Thu May 31, 2018 6:07 pm

falstaff wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
People want their social media posts to get some likes and they want to feel like they're making a difference but they don't really care in the end.

Recently I was seeing a lot of people on Facebook saying I should stand with the NRA and not buy any Yeti products. I asked them if they were NRA members and owned any yeti products. The answer was no to both questions 100% of the time. My response was "If you really want to support the NRA join them. Since you don't own a Yeti item already you probably aren't going to buy one." You can't support the NRA without giving them money and you can't hurt Yeti by not buying something you weren't going to buy to begin with.

Pretty typical really. Its just hollow outrage. These are people who are considering paying $600 for a cooler too. Not the smartest bunch to begin with.
Stay curious

727LOVER

Thu May 31, 2018 7:03 pm

CCGPV wrote:
Boycotts work when people are actually upset and outraged at something legitimate.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

SL1200MK2

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:15 am

Well, I’m not sure if it’s a boycott at all, but I do choose to and not to use my money at places I don’t agree with though it’s more so I can actually put my money where my mouth is, so to speak.

NYPECO

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:54 am

No.

fr8mech

Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:03 am

I boycotted Yeti, and other "high end cooler" companies when I saw their prices.
I stopped patronizing Starbuck's and my local "gourmet" coffee shop when my favorite cup of coffee went above $4 and I figured out that I could make it a whole lot cheaper at home. I sometimes grab a cup from McDonalds, because it's good coffee and cheap.
I stopped shopping at Dick's when I realized I could get anything they sell at my locally owned running store, archery store or Amazon. Especially now that my kids have greatly reduced the amount of team sports they play.

I spend my money where I want, when I want. If I choose to not patronize someone because of their (who are they anyway?) positions on a particular subject, I tend to let them know. I don't threaten them with some amorphous boycott or mass sanctioning, I just don't go back. I can count those businesses on one hand.

Do they miss me or my revenue? I doubt it. Does it make me feel better? No, I don't think so. It's just a decision I make...like the thousands of other decisions I make every damn day.

Faux indignation does not a boycott make.

727LOVER wrote:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Was that a boycott or market forces? There is a difference.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

seb146

Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:46 am

I shop where I shop and avoid what I do because of my own personal choices. I will not give one cent to Chick-Fil-A or Wal-Mart. I know I pay more where I do shop. It is my choice. If anyone asks, I will tell them.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

tommy1808

Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:25 am

CCGPV wrote:
They generally do not work. Can we come up with any of the major ones that did?.

Shell Brent Spar woked quickly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brent_Spar

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

stlgph

Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:18 pm

My favorite from this year was the March 1 "one day" boycott of Apple because of NRA TV running on Apple TV, when you know, everyone would use their iPhones to tweet about their boycott efforts.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

TWA772LR

Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:10 pm

I dont think a handful of people buying not buying something hurts the bottom line of multi-billion dollar companies.

My former roommate was a gun megalomaniac, and never wanted to eat at Buffalo Wild Wings again when he saw a "no guns" sign on the front door. More wings and beer for me!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

mham001

Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:34 pm

CCGPV wrote:
Target for the bathroom thing? Nope.

I don't much follow the the boycott brigade but I do often avoid companies with public political policies. A well run business really needs to stay out of political controversy.

That said, I believe you are dead wrong about Target. I know for a fact they lost customers from the bathrooms and some have not returned. Meanwhile, I doubt many new bathroom supporters flocked to Target. Target suffered immensely financially after the bathrooms, not all entirely because of it but I believe it incorrect to claim it had no part. It did, I for example have not set foot in the Target across the street for dog food since. Notice they eventually backed down a bit in response.

c933103

Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:36 pm

Boycott have limited use in places like China where the government can also affect all the paperwork and populations are also under manipulation
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

2122M

Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:48 pm

This is more of an institutional boycott than a boycott by individual consumers, but in 2017 the NCAA boycotted the state of North Carolina over the 'Bathroom Bill'. NC repealed the bill and the NCAA ended the boycott. I can't prove the NCAA boycott was the driving factor behind the repeal, but there is a potential example of a very effective boycott.

falstaff
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:25 pm

seb146 wrote:
I will not give one cent to Chick-Fil-A or Wal-Mart

I know several people who won't shop at Wal-Mart, but the reason some people give is stupid. The one I hear is "all their products are from China", but those same people shop at Meijer where they buy the exact same products they sell at Wal-Mart. Other people I know shop at Meijer because it's a Michigan based company and in Michigan that means a lot to some people. I hear a lot "Wal-Mart" destroys small retailers who pay good wages, but often times the same person who says that shops at Best Buy and Home Depot and doesn't seem to have a problem with putting local hardware and electronics retailers out of business.

fr8mech wrote:
Was that a boycott or market forces? There is a difference.

I would say that was market forces. People didn't like "New" Coke so they didn't buy it, it wasn't that people loved the product, but wanted the old one back. The new stuff was terrible so people didn't buy it.

TWA772LR wrote:
My former roommate was a gun megalomaniac, and never wanted to eat at Buffalo Wild Wings again when he saw a "no guns" sign on the front door. More wings and beer for me!

I'm a gun guy, but that doesn't bother me. They are covering their ass is all they are doing. Plus in the state I live, Michigan, I can't carry a gun while I'm drinking. I have never been in a BWW without drinking so I wouldn't be drinking to begin with.

My dad is friends with the former head of security of the Schnuck's grocery store chain, based in St. Louis. I asked him about Schnuck's no firearms policy, because he was one of the people who decided on that policy and I know he is a CPL holder and pro gun guy. His response was that Schnuck's had no way to know if you were carrying a concealed firearm in the store and wasn't going to do anything to see if you were. However if something went down in the store and a citizen fired their concealed pistol, missed the bad guy, and shot another customer or employee they would have some legal cover.

I frequent a scrap yard near Detroit and they have a No Firearms sign outside and the management is all pro gun and CPL holders. Several of the behind the counter people carry everyday. It was explained to me by the general manager that it has more to do with deterring the open carry crowd. A lot of cash gets transferred at the scrap yard everyday. There are a LOT of customers who have criminal backgrounds or who are criminals. If he, or the other people behind the counter, see a firearm they assume an armed robbery is going to go down and are going straight for their weapons. There was an incident a few years ago; a guy walked who was open carrying and the counter person didn't think anything of it and pulled their gun and robbed the place. That is exactly why I am pro gun, but VERY anti open carry. I have no idea your intentions so I will assume the worst and in the era of mass shootings I have a lot of evidence to back up my assumption.

CCGPV

Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:53 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
They generally do not work. Can we come up with any of the major ones that did?.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brent_Spar

Best regards
Thomas

I think once you start including firebombing businesses and trespassing to disrupt them then you're going to be more effective. It makes you a terrible person but you're more likely to get a result when people fear for their lives.
Stay curious

seb146

Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:05 pm

falstaff wrote:
seb146 wrote:
I will not give one cent to Chick-Fil-A or Wal-Mart

I know several people who won't shop at Wal-Mart, but the reason some people give is stupid. The one I hear is "all their products are from China", but those same people shop at Meijer where they buy the exact same products they sell at Wal-Mart. Other people I know shop at Meijer because it's a Michigan based company and in Michigan that means a lot to some people. I hear a lot "Wal-Mart" destroys small retailers who pay good wages, but often times the same person who says that shops at Best Buy and Home Depot and doesn't seem to have a problem with putting local hardware and electronics retailers out of business.

I don't shop at Wal-Mart because of how they treat their employees. To get the few benefits they offer, employees must be scheduled for something like 35 hours a week so Wal-Mart scheduled employees 32 hours per week. Also, the Walton family funds campaigns against public assistance but their employees are the largest block of people who use public assistance. Some kind of hypocrisy like that.

I prefer shopping local, but that is not possible to shop local for everything.

Cadet985

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:26 am

So, back in college, we had a LOT of complaints about the food service on campus, even more than your typical complaints of bland food, the same stuff served repeatedly, etc. We complained through official channels, but either got nowhere or just got lip service. One day, someone bit into her eggs at breakfast and found pieces of a Brillo pad. That was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

So the student government scheduled an emergency meeting. This was too much. We had a very legitimate concern on our hands. All but one of our SGA senators voted for a boycott.

In addition to a letter of our grievances, we also wrote up a list of rules we would follow that we’re self imposed. We would not stop anyone from going into the building, we would be calm and orderly (the building had offices and lounges in it), and we would not stop traffic.

After three days, we got a meeting with administration and executives from the food service company. The first thing campus administrators told us was how impressed they were that we protested and boycotted without a single incident or complaint.

Long story short, our grievances and demands were listened to, and the situation with food improved immensely. Odds are that if we had been loud and rude, it would have just caused more problems — especially for me since I worked for campus security.

What people need to understand is that just because you may organize a boycott or protest, not everyone else is going to feel the way you do, and keeping them from a business, or something like that by force or intimidation does not work.

So to answer the question of the OP, yes, boycotts can work if they’re done intelligently.

Sorry for being so lengthy.

Marc

Kiwirob

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:37 am

My wife won’t buy anything with palm oil in it, I know a lot of people who do that same.

fr8mech

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:35 pm

tommy1808 wrote:

That’s not a boycott, it’s terrorism.

Cadet985 wrote:
So the student government scheduled an emergency meeting.

A boycott, with a large relative population against a single entity can work, if handled correctly.

tommy1808

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:38 pm

fr8mech wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

That’s not a boycott, it’s terrorism. .

Not filling up your car at one of their gas stations, the boycott that changed their mind, is terrorism?

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

mham001

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:57 pm

seb146 wrote:
falstaff wrote:

I don't shop at Wal-Mart because of how they treat their employees. To get the few benefits they offer, employees must be scheduled for something like 35 hours a week so Wal-Mart scheduled employees 32 hours per week. Also, the Walton family funds campaigns against public assistance but their employees are the largest block of people who use public assistance. Some kind of hypocrisy like that.

The reasons given for boycotting Walmart are really stupid. For example, I've heard people trash Walmart while singing the praises of buying from Amazon, who is creating all these "good" jobs. They are not, the vast majority of the sorting and distribution centers are part time, drivers too, no benefits except for voluntary time off and 5 days sick leave (state mandate) while paying as little as they can. There are no raises and no hope for advancement, virtually no different than Walmart but they get a liberal pass because....Bezos. I think much of the Walmart thing is really just little people needing to look down on the poor people more likely to use Walmart - as well as work there.

Additionally, those who claim it is all Chinese junk are ignorant, probably never set foot in the store. I once outfitted years ago an entire kitchen with all Made in USA pans, dishes and utensils. There is often a choice with a small price difference. Truth is, if you want to find Made in USA, Walmart might be the first place to look. I have no fondness for Walmart, I don't like to go there, or any store really, but a lot of the criticisms are off base. Like yours, Seb.
Last edited by mham001 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mham001

Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:00 pm

dup

Aesma

Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:13 pm

Personally I boycott Israel. I don't think it's very effective as trade between France and Israel isn't that big to begin with, but I do it anyway.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

seb146

Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:14 pm

mham001 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
falstaff wrote:

The reasons given for boycotting Walmart are really stupid. For example, I've heard people trash Walmart while singing the praises of buying from Amazon, who is creating all these "good" jobs. They are not, the vast majority of the sorting and distribution centers are part time, drivers too, no benefits except for voluntary time off and 5 days sick leave (state mandate) while paying as little as they can. There are no raises and no hope for advancement, virtually no different than Walmart but they get a liberal pass because....Bezos. I think much of the Walmart thing is really just little people needing to look down on the poor people more likely to use Walmart - as well as work there.

Additionally, those who claim it is all Chinese junk are ignorant, probably never set foot in the store. I once outfitted years ago an entire kitchen with all Made in USA pans, dishes and utensils. There is often a choice with a small price difference. Truth is, if you want to find Made in USA, Walmart might be the first place to look. I have no fondness for Walmart, I don't like to go there, or any store really, but a lot of the criticisms are off base. Like yours, Seb.

I think many things in the tech sector are more "liberal." Combine that with not actually being faced with poverty and poor working conditions would sum up why conservatives and righties hate Bezos and Amazon. At least you can walk into Walmart and say "I can see all the losers suckling off the government teat" and feel fine. We can not see that with Amazon. Remember one of the Walton family throw a fit over priceless art while their employees can not even afford food and health care? No? That is a huge problem. At least Amazon/Bezos want everyone to have health care. He is for everyone having health care. If we all have health care, we all can have more money to spend at Walmart or Amazon or wherever.

I know my point is lost somewhere but I need to get to work, ironically.....

mham001

Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:47 pm

seb146 wrote:

I think many things in the tech sector are more "liberal." Combine that with not actually being faced with poverty and poor working conditions would sum up why conservatives and righties hate Bezos and Amazon. At least you can walk into Walmart and say "I can see all the losers suckling off the government teat" and feel fine. We can not see that with Amazon. Remember one of the Walton family throw a fit over priceless art while their employees can not even afford food and health care? No? That is a huge problem. At least Amazon/Bezos want everyone to have health care. He is for everyone having health care. If we all have health care, we all can have more money to spend at Walmart or Amazon or wherever.

You've gone off the deep end again. No idea what you're talking about having the poor in plain sight - I thought it was liberals who were more likely to boycott Walmart and avoid those "ugly" people. Amazon allows them to keep the working poor hidden in warehouses, and thus, less scrutiny.

If Bezos "is for everyone having health care." why the hell doesn't he provide it to all his employees? He did not even give them a bonus after receiving a tax cut, meanwhile...

Walmart raises wages, gives bonuses after GOP tax cut - CBS News
https://www.cbsnews.com › MoneyWatch › Markets
Jan 11, 2018 - Walmart (WMT), the largest private employer in the country, said Thursday it will raise its starting wages for U.S. store workers and offer some employees bonuses following passage of tax cuts in Washington. ... "As you know, the President and Congress have approved a lower business tax rate.

Flighty

Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:23 pm

Boycotts don't work when they are a trite, self-serving marketing campaign like they are used today.

The greats would be appalled by the grifters who use terms like "boycott" today.

Here's a pro tip, if you aren't Rosa Parks, how about not polluting her memory by pretending your little issue or tweet is important like hers was?

Super80Fan

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:50 pm

Flighty wrote:
Boycotts don't work when they are a trite, self-serving marketing campaign like they are used today.

The greats would be appalled by the grifters who use terms like "boycott" today.

Here's a pro tip, if you aren't Rosa Parks, how about not polluting her memory by pretending your little issue or tweet is important like hers was?

Agreed. I laugh at both the right and the left when they want to "boycott" something for their self serving purposes. Just in the past week I've been to Chick Fil A, Starbucks, Publix, Walmart, flew on Delta, watched Netflix, and bough something on Amazon. All of them seem to be doing fine despite 2-3 people not giving them money.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

fr8mech

Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:08 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Not filling up your car at one of their gas stations, the boycott that changed their mind, is terrorism?

From your linked Wiki article:

In the face of public and political opposition in northern Europe (including a widespread boycott of Shell service stations, some physical attacks and an arson attack on a service station in Germany), Shell abandoned its plans to dispose of Brent Spar at sea

Yes, physical attacks and arson to achieve a certain result are terrorism.

As soon as violence is used, all credibility is gone.

seb146

Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:25 pm

mham001 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

You've gone off the deep end again. No idea what you're talking about having the poor in plain sight - I thought it was liberals who were more likely to boycott Walmart and avoid those "ugly" people. Amazon allows them to keep the working poor hidden in warehouses, and thus, less scrutiny.

If Bezos "is for everyone having health care." why the hell doesn't he provide it to all his employees? He did not even give them a bonus after receiving a tax cut, meanwhile...

Walmart raises wages, gives bonuses after GOP tax cut - CBS News
https://www.cbsnews.com › MoneyWatch › Markets
Jan 11, 2018 - Walmart (WMT), the largest private employer in the country, said Thursday it will raise its starting wages for U.S. store workers and offer some employees bonuses following passage of tax cuts in Washington. ... "As you know, the President and Congress have approved a lower business tax rate.

"...and offer some employees bounses..." hmmmmm.... I wonder which employees those would be? Those who are scheduled for more than 39 hours per week? Or those at district management and above?

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-its ... ut-merit-8

An article about working at Amazon reviews those who work at all levels of the company. It sounds like any other tech company. Sounds better than Wal-Mart.

You righties are all up in arms that Jeff Bezos owns Washington Post and WaPo speaks out against tRump. What happened to freedom of speech and let corporations own whatever they want and post whatever opinions they want? You all were perfectly content with that under Obama. What does his ownership of WaPo have to do with Amazon?

seb146

Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:05 pm

I did not get back in time to edit my last post.

I am an "instant gratification" type. Plus, with my 60+ pair of shoes, I need to know they fit well and look fabulous. So, I do not use Amazon for much. DVDs every now and again. Other than that, I go to Kohl's, Macy's, Target, or Fred Meyer. So, I don't know why you, mham001, automatically compared Wal-Mart to Amazon and linked them both to me. You don't know my shopping habits. I know Target's business model is close to Wal-Mart, but they contribute to causes that closely identify with what I support, and their stores are more relaxed.

There is no "perfect" company to shop with or work for. I choose the ones I think match my life and my values. I add the good and the bad and make an informed decision that way. Not "well, they are cheap, so why not?" I know it does not make much difference to them, but it makes a huge difference to me!

Super80Fan

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:08 am

fr8mech wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

From your linked Wiki article:

In the face of public and political opposition in northern Europe (including a widespread boycott of Shell service stations, some physical attacks and an arson attack on a service station in Germany), Shell abandoned its plans to dispose of Brent Spar at sea

Yes, physical attacks and arson to achieve a certain result are terrorism.

As soon as violence is used, all credibility is gone.

Furthermore after that, Greenpeace got a lot of controversy/negative feedback from it.
RIP McDonnell Douglas