jetero

Re: Supreme Court Rules on the Colorado Cake Case

Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:16 am

Freakysh wrote:
jetero wrote:
Freakysh wrote:

Ok, whatever you call the Colorado court the case was originally raised with Mr pedantic.

Here's another recommendation.

The gay couple walks in and asks for a gay wedding cake.

The cake maker says no, I don't believe in gay marriage, I won't do it.

The gay couple walks out.

The next day, the gay couple has some hetero couple friends go in and ask for a wedding cake in the same design the gay couple wanted, sans the male/male figures. The get the couple to request an extra set of male/female figurines, cause you know, they want their day to be perfect and want them just in case one of the ones on the cake breaks. No problem.

Get the cake, replace the female figurine with the extra male purchased and have your wedding.

Take lots of photos of the happy couple in front of the wedding cake.

Plaster your Facebook account with these photos saying "A big thanks to masterpiece cake makers for help make our day perfect and supporting gay marriage!"

Get all your friends to spread the Facebook thanks.

Instead you've had your asses handed to you and all you can do is have a cry about it.

Stop being so emotional (I know that's hard being gay) and get a bit creative. Help yourselves.

I don’t understand why you think you are the first person to think of any of the above, nor do I know why you feel the need to lecture me on what I would do and then proceed to condescend by telling me, and other people like me, to “help ourselves.” The remedy you describe is pretty close to what I would’ve done in the situation.

But that’s not the point. Your legal standard seems to be WWFD. If you’re so damned cynical I’d love to know why you seem to be so concerned about the caker case.

I haven't claimed I'm the first person to think of it sweetheart, I don't know where you got that idea.

I like to point out absurdities. I know it hurts to hear it, but it needs to be said. It's called tough love. I'm on your side honey.

OK another Seahawk :wave:

Freakysh

Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:52 am

jetero wrote:
Freakysh wrote:
jetero wrote:

I don’t understand why you think you are the first person to think of any of the above, nor do I know why you feel the need to lecture me on what I would do and then proceed to condescend by telling me, and other people like me, to “help ourselves.” The remedy you describe is pretty close to what I would’ve done in the situation.

But that’s not the point. Your legal standard seems to be WWFD. If you’re so damned cynical I’d love to know why you seem to be so concerned about the caker case.

I haven't claimed I'm the first person to think of it sweetheart, I don't know where you got that idea.

I like to point out absurdities. I know it hurts to hear it, but it needs to be said. It's called tough love. I'm on your side honey.

OK another Seahawk :wave:

Play it how you like jetero.

Keep the tears and lawsuits flowing bud and enjoy licking those wounds :D

LMP737

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Blerg wrote:
The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled in favour of a Colorado Christian who refused to bake a cake for a gay couple.

Two liberal judges joined the five conservative ones in a historic ruling. It's historic as it represents one of the first large and important victories for those who are fighting to preserve natural marriage.

The Court stated that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission showed impermissible hostility towards religion when it claimed the baker violated the state's anti-discrimination law. They concluded that the commission violated the baker's religious rights enshrined in the US Constitution (First Amendment).

The two liberal judges who sided with the Christian baker were Stephen Breyer and Elena Kagan.

U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions expressed his satisfaction with the decision. He stated the following:

'"The First Amendment prohibits governments from discriminating against citizens on the basis of religious beliefs," Sessions said. "The Supreme Court rightly concluded that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission failed to show tolerance and respect for Mr. Phillips' religious beliefs. In this case and others, the Department of Justice will continue to vigorously defend the free speech and religious freedom First Amendment rights of all Americans."'

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/04/supreme ... asons.html

The fight between conservatives and leftists is far from over, despite the ruling. Interesting times ahead if you are a conservative ... especially as Trump keeps on appointing Christian judges.

What blows my mind about this is that the Supreme Court has basically said that it's okay to discriminate according to ones cherry picked interpretation of a fairy tale.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

DL717

Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:06 pm

If someone doesn’t want to bake you a cake, move on. I doubt they’d make a penis cake for a bunch of tramps at a bachelorette party either. Go find another baker. Lawsuit shopping, nothing else. Ruined their day? BS.
Everything is chits and giggles until you get old enough to giggle and then you chit.

artofzen

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:16 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
seahawk wrote:
What I find most interesting is the basic idea of forcing some one to perform a service for you. Do you really want to force a baker to make a cake for you, even if he really does not want to? Would you eat the cake?

I'm talking about how two people with "sincerely held beliefs" react different when required to do something that they themselves believe to be sinful.

Alcohol and Islam don't mix; the Muslim store clerk could very well find another job where they don't have to sell alcohol. Yet they do it anyway because they understand, it's not them who are sinning. But somehow, baking a cake makes you complicit in gay wedding?

They are sinners too

One more tradition says, that the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) cursed ten types of people in connection with wine:

1) One who plants a sapling with the intention of producing wine.

2) One who cultivates this sapling so that wine may be manufactured.

3) One who crushes the grapes.

4) One who drinks wine.

5) One who serves the wine.

6) One who transports wine.

7) One who takes delivery from the supplier.

8) One who sells wine.

9) One who buys it.

10) One who uses the income that is earned by (making or selling) wine.

https://www.al-islam.org/greater-sins-v ... reater-sin

LMP737

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:37 am

DL717 wrote:
If someone doesn’t want to bake you a cake, move on. I doubt they’d make a penis cake for a bunch of tramps at a bachelorette party either. Go find another baker. Lawsuit shopping, nothing else. Ruined their day? BS.

Just like all the other groups in this country that have been treated like crap. They should have just moved on.

LMP737

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:21 am

DL717 wrote:
Lawsuit shopping attention whores. Nothing more, nothing less.

Now there's a intelligent, well thought out argument.

DL717

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:23 am

LMP737 wrote:
DL717 wrote:

Just like all the other groups in this country that have been treated like crap. They should have just moved on.

Everything is chits and giggles until you get old enough to giggle and then you chit.

Tugger

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:16 am

DL717 wrote:
LMP737 wrote:
DL717 wrote:

I know! Just like Rosa Parks!
The outrage! The temerity! How dare they!

Yup, get a couple white friends to get what you need, Or that Christian you know might do you a favor. Maybe... Yup, don't do it, it's just grandstanding.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

jetero

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:17 am

Tugger wrote:
DL717 wrote:
LMP737 wrote:

I know! Just like Rosa Parks!
The outrage! The temerity! How dare they!

Yup, get a couple white friends to get what you need, Or that Christian you know might do you a favor. Maybe... Yup, don't do it, it's just grandstanding.

Tugg

People who comment in these situations with such a degree of certainty can’t even be bothered with the facts of the case.

The gays are “attention seeking” because they expect to be able to go to a caker and get a cake, the blacks are “ungrateful” because they have opinions, the immigrants are all illegal and the sole source blame game for the entire country, zero nuance.

All of the above is exactly what I was taught Is not a good thing. In Texas. We have taken so many steps backward.

seb146

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:37 pm

DL717 wrote:

This is the dumbest argument. Equating a penis cake with a wedding cake? This is below scraping the bottom of the barrel. C'mon.... You can do better than that.

Evangelicals have their knickers in a twist because "their" tax dollars are spent on millions of abortions a day and defending the sinful and blasphemous homosexuals and paying for millions of gender reassignment surgeries every day. Or something like that. It is hard to keep up with their arguments. But they are offended when I say that MY tax dollars are funding religion like defending hateful Colorado bakers or taking food and shelter away from children and giving tax breaks to churches and change makers in the temple.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!