stratosphere
Topic Author

Miss America drops swimsuit competition

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:37 pm

Well there goes the swimsuit from Miss America which started out 97 years ago as a swimsuit pageant and now is no longer about swimsuits or pageantry. The boy scouts started 108 years ago and is no longer about boys or scouting. Thank you progressive liberals guess you won't be happy until we are one big genderless society. Why don't we just scrap Miss America all together and for that matter cheerleaders at NFL or College games it is all demeaning to women.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/05/us/miss- ... index.html

CCGPV

Re: Miss America drops swimsuit competition

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:06 pm

Sounds good to me.

The whole concept of beauty pageants is outdated. Its nothing more than a

As for the scouts nothing has changed. Its up to the individual troops if they want to include girls.
Stay curious

2122M

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:24 pm

stratosphere wrote:
Well there goes the swimsuit from Miss America which started out 97 years ago as a swimsuit pageant and now is no longer about swimsuits or pageantry. The boy scouts started 108 years ago and is no longer about boys or scouting. Thank you progressive liberals guess you won't be happy until we are one big genderless society. Why don't we just scrap Miss America all together and for that matter cheerleaders at NFL or College games it is all demeaning to women.

Isn't it just terrible that you can no longer just look at women as sex objects any more and have to take them seriously? Its almost like those awful hippie liberals want women to be treated like real people instead of being paraded around as something pretty for you to look at. SAD!

afterburner

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:30 pm

stratosphere wrote:
Why don't we just scrap Miss America all together and for that matter cheerleaders at NFL or College games it is all demeaning to women.

Football (soccer, to you Americans), the world's most favorite sport, doesn't need cheerleaders to attract spectators to watch its games.

jetero

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:49 pm

I think we should take sex off birth certificates and force everyone to try the other sex twice for five years, surgery and all.

(Strato continues to be obsessed with gender, doesn't he/she/it/they?)

L410Turbolet

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:51 pm

afterburner wrote:
Football (soccer, to you Americans), the world's most favorite sport, doesn't need cheerleaders to attract spectators to watch its games.

Watching paint day is more exciting than 2x11 sissies docking around a ball. :shakehead:

Francoflier

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:54 pm

stratosphere wrote:

Cry us a damn river...
:sarcastic:

There's no shortage of ways for you to watch scantily clothed women. Do you really still need a televised pageant or cheerleaders for that?
Or are you just an old man yelling at clouds because the world around you is changing?

Just live your life and try to get with the times, please, instead of constantly finding ways of getting outraged about frivolous stuff that have no bearing on you whatsoever.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Airontario

Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:52 pm

stratosphere wrote:
Why don't we just scrap Miss America all together and for that matter cheerleaders at NFL or College games it is all demeaning to women.

Well we should scrap those things.

Aesma

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:09 pm

I've heard the head for the pageant say it will no longer be about the girls' looks at all. What's the point, then ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

seahawk

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:10 pm

stratosphere wrote:

In sense you have little respect for the sport that cheerleading is. If you do not see the athletic challenge and the choreographic elements it is your problem.

Olddog

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:21 pm

I maybe look at it if they rather drop the swimsuit.

zkojq

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:24 pm

afterburner wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

Rugby and Formula One also.
Most recent aircraft flown: A318 F-GUGQ, A319 F-GRHR, A320ceo D-AIZH, A320neo D-AINE, A330-300 VH-QPD, A350-900 B-LRA, A380-800 D-AIMH, 717 VH-YQW, 737-600 LN-RPA, 737-700 OY-JTY, 737-800 LN-NGA, 767-300 ZK-NCI, 777-300 ZK-OKN, 787-9 VH-ZNA, CS100 HB-JBG

StarAC17

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:45 pm

afterburner wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

I know and I am excited for the World cup next week!! :D
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

seb146

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:45 pm

stratosphere wrote:

Ever hear of a thing called "The Internet"? There are these places there called "sites" and some of them show women in various stages of undress, from what I am told. People can ogle women in the privacy of their homes any time they like, is what I understand. But, I am sure "The Internet" is just a passing fancy. We will be back to the old timey ways of cat calling women on the street and grabbing them wherever in no time....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Kiwirob

Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:31 pm

I can’t wait for the first obese Miss America, the normalisation of obesity just got another step closer to reality.

seb146

Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:40 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
I can’t wait for the first obese Miss America, the normalisation of obesity just got another step closer to reality.

Obese meaning size 2 to 6 or "I have three whole chickens for a light snack" obese?

jetero

Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:44 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

I take it you're not a chubby chaser?

727LOVER

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:03 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

Already happens in France

But to show American pride....
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

seb146

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:23 pm

MY EYES!!!! MY EYES!!!!! I need ipecac!!!!

Seriously, though, why are some people offended at the notion that women can do more than just cook and pop out babies?

Freakysh

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:15 pm

I have to agree it is a silly decision. Let's be honest, the girls entering the pageant generally arent the sharpest tools in the shed. You've taken away their strongest asset and what are you left with? Spinning some plates and wonderful insights into why Americans can't locate America on a map.

It's not a crime to be beautiful and it's not bad to celebrate beauty. That's what the pageant is about, not to exploit. It's funny to see people's attitudes on here. Some things it's "let a woman decide what she wants to do, who are you as a man to tell her what she can' and can't do" then in the same breath, defend exactly that attitude. If I'm a hypocrite, then so are most of the people posting on here, no matter how virtuous you think you are.

bagoldex

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:21 pm

Freakysh wrote:
I have to agree it is a silly decision. Let's be honest, the girls entering the pageant generally arent the sharpest tools in the shed.

The same can be said of the men who watch the pageant.

Tugger

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:25 pm

727LOVER wrote:
But to show American pride....

Oh Gawd! Too much pride America! Way too much pride!

Freakysh wrote:
I have to agree it is a silly decision. Let's be honest, the girls entering the pageant generally arent the sharpest tools in the shed. You've taken away their strongest asset and what are you left with? Spinning some plates and wonderful insights into why Americans can't locate America on a map.

It's not a crime to be beautiful and it's not bad to celebrate beauty. That's what the pageant is about, not to exploit. It's funny to see people's attitudes on here. Some things it's "let a woman decide what she wants to do, who are you as a man to tell her what she can' and can't do" then in the same breath, defend exactly that attitude. If I'm a hypocrite, then so are most of the people posting on here, no matter how virtuous you think you are.

Uhhh....Why is it a foolish decision? Regardless of what you think or say it is the pageant that decides "what it's about" and though you are correct enough about its past, now they have decided to change to be more than just "beauty" (augmented beauty at that) and focus more on all the other bits that the pageant has been doing the last couple decades. So this isn't some instant change.

Besides how often have you (or anybody) actually watched it in the past few years? I sure haven't, no interest in it. But I say go for it if a woman wants to do it, it is a good thing to try. I think its fine for them to do this.

And for those that complain or are offended there are plenty of "skin" pageants like the Hooters one or the Hawaiian Tropic or Miss Fit America, FHM, and dozens and dozens of others.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

727LOVER

Freakysh wrote:
Let's be honest, the girls entering the pageant generally arent the sharpest tools in the shed. You've taken away their strongest asset and what are you left with? .

THIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

In case you didn't follow that:

I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some, uh, people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future. For our children.
Last edited by 727LOVER on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Freakysh

bagoldex wrote:
Freakysh wrote:
I have to agree it is a silly decision. Let's be honest, the girls entering the pageant generally arent the sharpest tools in the shed.

Yes that's true. So you agree it's a dumb decision?

bagoldex

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:46 pm

Freakysh wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
Freakysh wrote:

Yes that's true. So you agree it's a dumb decision?

I don't care that much either way. I've never watched it. From a business standpoint, if they think this will improve their viewership in key demographics then I agree that they made the right decision but if it's just to be PC at the expense of the bottom line then probably not.

Freakysh

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:46 pm

Tugger wrote:

And for those that complain or are offended there are plenty of "skin" pageants like the Hooters one or the Hawaiian Tropic or Miss Fit America, FHM, and dozens and dozens of others.

Tugg

I'm not complaining about it, I'm just pointing out the cognitive dissonance from the viewpoint that this needs to be done because it exploits women. Fair enough, if the organisers want to go down this path that's fine, but if it's because of the above reasoning, then yes, it's silly.

DIRECTFLT

Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:12 pm

Glad to see this... I also hope that this means that the twerking competition under consideration was scrapped!! America doesn't need those 'Liberal Values' on display at the Miss America Pageant!!
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

B777LRF

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:25 am

I've always found the organised celebration of a fortunate bone structure and fat distribution in women strange, bordering on abhorrent. But that's what they're celebrating, so taking away that part would be akin to removing the ball from a game of football. Which makes no sense at all but, then again, beauty pageants never made any sense to me in the first place.
Signature. You just read one.

jetero

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:45 am

Wouldn’t it be better if they just showed their tits? And vag, too. I think plenty of opportunities for judges to score on areola circumference and presence of stubble on landing strip.

dmg626

Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:22 pm

jetero wrote:
Wouldn’t it be better if they just showed their tits? And vag, too. I think plenty of opportunities for judges to score on areola circumference and presence of stubble on landing strip.

That would be too distracting and take away from all their well thought out answers as to how they would solve world hunger, poverty, save the whales, etc

DLFREEBIRD

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:54 pm

stratosphere wrote:

They are looking for woman with substance and who are leaders in their community, some call that progress. I know i do.
but, don't worry people like the president and Rudi are still judging women by their looks.

seb146

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:44 pm

Here is another point about beauty pageants:

Beauty is subjective. I know these pageants have a panel but the scores are averaged. So, of one person says "the woman from Iowa is a 10!" another judge will say "I think she is a 2 on a good day" and someone at home will give her anywhere from 0 to 10.

Also, anyone can walk in heels and a gown or swimsuit, so that has nothing to do with anything, either.

aviationaware

Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:06 pm

I am gay, so there's that, but dropping the swimsuit competition renders the entire Miss America thing pointless. It's like doing Mr Olympia in hoodies. Whoever made this decision is a dumbass.
PS: It's probably a smart business decision, because Miss America is mostly watched by women, and they probably won't care or even feel more comfortable.

DL717

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:00 pm

seb146 wrote:

Beauty is subjective. I know these pageants have a panel but the scores are averaged. So, of one person says "the woman from Iowa is a 10!" another judge will say "I think she is a 2 on a good day" and someone at home will give her anywhere from 0 to 10.

Also, anyone can walk in heels and a gown or swimsuit, so that has nothing to do with anything, either.

Dude, they’re all hot and they know it and don’t mind flaunting it. This whole thing is stupid.
Everything is chits and giggles until you get old enough to giggle and then you chit.

DL717

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:02 pm

aviationaware wrote:
I am gay, so there's that, but dropping the swimsuit competition renders the entire Miss America thing pointless. It's like doing Mr Olympia in hoodies. Whoever made this decision is a dumbass.
PS: It's probably a smart business decision, because Miss America is mostly watched by women, and they probably won't care or even feel more comfortable.

I would think gays are the most disappointed. No one to mock for looking hideous, not unlike the Oscars.
Everything is chits and giggles until you get old enough to giggle and then you chit.

Kiwirob

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:05 pm

seb146 wrote:

That's not really true at all, women who enter beauty contests are attractive, even if the woman might not be you type most men would still say they are attractive, whereas the chunky woman in the stars and stripes bikini posted above is not attractive, most men would agree unless they are on the freaky fringe i.e. chubby chasers and feeders.

Kiwirob

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:07 pm

jetero wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

truer words have never been written.

seb146

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:20 pm

DL717 wrote:
aviationaware wrote:

I would think gays are the most disappointed. No one to mock for looking hideous, not unlike the Oscars.

You are thinking of the evening gown portion of the competition....

DL717

Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:35 pm

seb146 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
aviationaware wrote:

You are thinking of the evening gown portion of the competition....

That’s supposed to be toast too.

jetero

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:46 am

Kiwirob wrote:
jetero wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

truer words have never been written.

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Cheers Kiwirob :thumbsup:

jetero

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:53 pm

aviationaware wrote:
I am gay, so there's that

Yikes that’s like finding out Voldemort is gay.

Jetty

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:52 pm

Sad! :cry:

I was hoping that feminist influences would cause nipples to be freed during the swimsuit competition, but this result is entirely different. :shakehead:

jetero

Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:08 am

CitizenJustin wrote:
aviationaware wrote:

I very much doubt anyone will notice. The next time it’s on I’m not gong say”hey! Where are the swimsuits!”

This is a nonissue and will be forgotten in 3,2,1.......Another Trump scandal.

BTW, Mr Olympia aviationaware?! Who are you?!

CitizenJustin

Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:12 am

aviationaware wrote:

I very much doubt anyone will notice. The next time it’s on I’m not gong say”hey! Where are the swimsuits!”

This is a nonissue and will be forgotten in 3,2,1.......Another Trump scandal.

Aesma

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:38 pm

The Miss France pageant has gone from a bikini to a one piece last time around. I've not heard about any more planned changes (not that I follow closely such things).
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Flighty

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:47 pm

What is a beautiful woman with not much else supposed to do? There is already a math olympiad. What is so wrong about having a competition to figure out which woman is most graceful and beautiful? Why not also have a similar competition for men?

Is the obesity epidemic in the US really that bad now? Why don't people just lose some weight instead of ban these competitions? :stirthepot:

CCGPV

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:08 pm

Flighty wrote:
What is a beautiful woman with not much else supposed to do? There is already a math olympiad. What is so wrong about having a competition to figure out which woman is most graceful and beautiful? Why not also have a similar competition for men?

Is the obesity epidemic in the US really that bad now? Why don't people just lose some weight instead of ban these competitions? :stirthepot:

Everyone is on Instagram, Twitch, and freecams, etc now. A lot more money to be made there than with TV pageants.

Plus you can tell them what to do and they do it. Its great.
Stay curious

seb146

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:19 am

CCGPV wrote:
Flighty wrote:

Everyone is on Instagram, Twitch, and freecams, etc now. A lot more money to be made there than with TV pageants.

This is why I think you are more than one person, CC. Comments like this.

I, personally, would love to see The Rock, Kevin Hart, and Trivago guy in swimsuits and tuxedos standing side by side.

I think there are a couple of points that were lost earlier in the thread: beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and these pageants have to compete with the internet.

CCGPV

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:47 am

seb146 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
Flighty wrote:

I, personally, would love to see The Rock, Kevin Hart, and Trivago guy in swimsuits and tuxedos standing side by side.

I think there are a couple of points that were lost earlier in the thread: beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and these pageants have to compete with the internet.

What about that comment makes you think I'm more than one person haha?
Stay curious

seb146

Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:14 am

CCGPV wrote:
seb146 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

What about that comment makes you think I'm more than one person haha?

The few women who have been very active here in the past would never have made a comment about adult cam work about other women. Your comment is more of a frat boy comment.