af773atmsp

Re: FIFA World Cup Thread

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:25 pm

At this point I'll cheer on any team that hasn't won a World Cup or England since its been a very long time since they won.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

tu204

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:25 pm

scbriml wrote:
What a poor game. Russia had no quality and despite all of Spain's tikki-takka, possession football, they had no teeth.

But, another shock in a surprising WC. I will be particularly interested to see how Croatia go this evening.

Albeit obviously extremely happy with the result, agree that was a boring game.

But such defensive tactics were the only way Russia could win against Spain. The tactic worked.

Great goalkeeping by Akinfeev!!
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

NIKV69

Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:04 pm

CROATIA!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

Aesma

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:11 am

Damn that game started well, then was a complete borefest for 2 hours !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

ltbewr

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:42 am

The Russians seemed to play with more desire, perhaps inspired by their playing in their home country and one has to wonder some, ahem...help by the officials. There only goal was a penalty kick. Spain, not so much, just keep ball control passing and passing and passing the ball and no real offense and when did, took bad shots.
Croatia seemed to be really trying, they seem to a good team, Denmark was no slouch either, both teams had great goalies. I just wish both games were won on real goals, not 'penalty' ones. Now to see if Mexico can show up.

wingman

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:10 pm

Belgium - Japan was easily one of the top 5 matches I've ever seen in my life. Feel utterly gutted yet again this WC but hats off to both teams, what an epic display.

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:52 pm

I'm so gutted for Japan, they played a brilliant and exciting game, just undone by their lack of power in the air and a tiny bit of bad luck. Belgium to their credit really did turn it up when they went 2-0 down.

This has been a brilliant World Cup so far.

Dutchy

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:56 pm

Oh boy, not good for my heart.........

Next obstacle Brazil.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

scbriml

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:30 pm

Agreed, another excellent game and almost another major shock.

Two mouthwatering QFs to look forward to so far - Uruguay vs France and Brazil vs Belgium.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

NIKV69

Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:18 am

What a comebackl I had Belgium dead and buried!

agill

Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:36 pm

Yay Sweden 1 Switzerland 0

scbriml

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:50 pm

agill wrote:

One of the few poor games of this WC - a distinct lack of quality from both sides. That a deflected shot resulted in the only goal just about summed it up.

Neither Colombia nor England will be worried about facing Sweden in a quarter final.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Dutchy

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:52 pm

scbriml wrote:
agill wrote:

One of the few poor games of this WC - a distinct lack of quality from both sides. That a deflected shot resulted in the only goal just about summed it up.

Neither Colombia nor England will be worried about facing Sweden in a quarter final.

neither was Belgium facing Japan...... or Spain facing Russia....... the ball is round is a verb in the Netherlands.

NIKV69

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:18 pm

scbriml wrote:
agill wrote:

Yea Sweden had a gift wrapped goal early and shot it over the net that was horrid

agill

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:31 pm

scbriml wrote:
agill wrote:

You never know. We had Netherlands and Italy in out qualifying group, and then Germany. Football is football.

Freakysh

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:09 pm

scbriml wrote:

This could become quote of the tournament! :lol:

lugie

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:46 pm

This World Cup HAS IT ALL.

Germany out in the group stage, Russia beats Spain and ENGLAND WINS ON PENALTIES.

Pure madness.
Q400 E175 CRJ9 CRJX A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 B733 B738 B764 B788
X3 LH 4U TP US YX SN EI FR LA YW IB CM UA DL 9E
FRA STR HAM TXL ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR SJO PTY

Gonzalo

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:02 pm

Ok, six European teams and only two from South America among the best eight. Although my heart ( and nationality ) is completely Uruguayan, I have to admit that France is the favorite for the next game. That young boy MBappe could easily be running against Usain Bolt in the Olympic Games.
Brazil is the other big candidate to win this cup, although in the last game they were way under the usual quality for the game.
If I have to dream, I obviously dream with a third WC for Uruguay, but being objective, I think Brazil and France have better chances.
Belgium is other very good team when they are inspired.
Looking at the past games until today, my four candidates with better chances to win the cup will be :
France / Brazil the most likely
Belgium / Uruguay also have some chances.
Croatia will be my fifth candidate.
England will be a very big surprise considering their performance with Colombia today, same for Sweden the borefest against Swiss was embarrassing.
Russia is a good team but I think is an underripe fruit, will be the biggest surprise to me if they win the tournament.

Just my two cents.

Rgds.
G.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / Fairchild-227 / Ab318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:18 pm

England winning a penalty shootout is apocalypse-inducing stuff. It's like if Southwest became an all-A32X operator, Ryanair becoming a premium airline or Al Baker keeping his mouth shut.

Colombia were a very snide team, I was very unimpressed with their antics and I'm glad they've gone home.

scbriml

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:29 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
England winning a penalty shootout is apocalypse-inducing stuff.

It is! After all that pain, it's such a relief. :faint:

MrHMSH wrote:
Colombia were a very snide team, I was very unimpressed with their antics and I'm glad they've gone home.

"Snide" just isn't strong enough, IMHO. They pulled every dirty trick in the book and were very lucky to keep 11 players on the pitch. The ref really struggled to keep things under control. Glad to see them lose. :wave:

alfa164

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:45 pm

ltbewr wrote:
The Russians seemed to play with more desire, perhaps inspired by their playing in their home country and one has to wonder some, ahem...help by the officials.

The right mix of drugs will help, too... ;)

LDLT

Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:01 am

alfa164 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
The Russians seemed to play with more desire, perhaps inspired by their playing in their home country and one has to wonder some, ahem...help by the officials.

Ah, so I wasn't the only one who thought those Russians looked very fresh at the end

LDLT

Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:24 am

Out of the 8 remaining teams, 4 have never been champions.
3 of them in fact have never made it to the finals: Croatia, Russia and Belgium

Just getting to the finals is an exclusive club, 12 countries in total have ever done it: the 8 winners + the Netherlands, Sweden, Czechoslovakia and Hungary.

marcelh

Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:37 am

MrHMSH wrote:
England winning a penalty shootout is apocalypse-inducing stuff. It's like if Southwest became an all-A32X operator, Ryanair becoming a premium airline or Al Baker keeping his mouth shut.

:rotfl:

Dutchy

Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:02 am

marcelh wrote:
MrHMSH wrote:

:rotfl:

Hell has frozen over......

scbriml

Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:34 am

OMG, two whole days without World Cup football. My wife will be expecting me to do stuff around the house! :eek:

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:57 am

scbriml wrote:
OMG, two whole days without World Cup football. My wife will be expecting me to do stuff around the house! :eek:

It's a disgrace! I don't know what to do with my life anymore. I may have to actually interact with this strange bunch of people in my house. What the hell is a 'family'?

ltbewr

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:12 pm

Too bad no matches on July 4th as today is a holiday in the USA, our Independence Day where we told the British to 'get lost', in 1776 and most people have the day off. I bet Friday will not be a very productive day in a number of workplaces here in the USA, or some will say they have a 'summer cold' and take the day off.

wingman

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:54 pm

Croatia is my little Cindarella now with Spain dispatched to the Great Waiting Room on The Sidelines for another 4 years. I must say I haven't been so excited for two days of morning sports in a long long time. Friday and Saturday will be very bigly fun and probably as good as it gets in this tournament if you don't have a true contender left in it..4 games with scorched out lungs and rivers of tears. The stuff of dreams.

Happy 4th y'all. Like most everyone else here I'm forced into deep house cleaning after getting red carded trying to fake my way out of the chores by pretending that recorded games from last week were on live again this morning. Wifey went to VAR and slammed me with toilet duty.

scbriml

Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:42 pm

This makes England's victory over a nasty Colombian team even sweeter:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44716774
England committed a "monumental robbery" in beating Colombia in the last 16 at the World Cup, according to Argentina legend Diego Maradona.

Colombia captain Radamel Falcao also accused referee Mark Geiger of bias towards England, calling the American's performance "shameful".

I agree that the ref was poor. If he'd have been stronger, Colombia would likely have been down to nine men by the end of the game.

Olddog

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:15 pm

France 2 Uruguay 0

Good job boys. I hope semi will be against Brazil as we have nice memories against them and there play is more convenient for us.

scbriml

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:01 pm

Olddog wrote:
France 2 Uruguay 0

Good job boys. I hope semi will be against Brazil as we have nice memories against them and there play is more convenient for us.

Very professional job by France against a stubborn and niggly Uruguay team who never had enough quality in the final third to threaten France.

Shocker of a mistake by Muslera to gift France their second goal. As soon as that went in, it was all over for Uruguay.

Scorpio

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:55 pm

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

That is all.

Gonzalo

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:09 pm

scbriml wrote:
Olddog wrote:
France 2 Uruguay 0

Very professional job by France against a stubborn and niggly Uruguay team who never had enough quality in the final third to threaten France.

Shocker of a mistake by Muslera to gift France their second goal. As soon as that went in, it was all over for Uruguay.

I'm from Uruguay but you are correct. France did a very good job and Griezman managed the timing of the game very well. Belgium was fantastic in the game against Brazil.
The better teams won.
With all my Uruguayan and South American heart I only have one word for France and for Belgium : Congratulations !

Rgds.

G.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / Fairchild-227 / Ab318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:12 pm

Well done to all the Belgian A.netters, some performance by your team. Belgium put everything into that and are going to be very tired for the next game but their winning goal was a beauty. France vs Belgium is going to be epic.

Now the 'It's Coming Home' brigade can start to brick themselves suitably about tomorrow.

alfa164

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:23 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
Well done to all the Belgian A.netters, some performance by your team. Belgium put everything into that and are going to be very tired for the next game but their winning goal was a beauty. France vs Belgium is going to be epic.
Now the 'It's Coming Home' brigade can start to brick themselves suitably about tomorrow.

The Brazilians are going home... now all the Russian hookers will be out of work until Trump shows up... ;)

sabenapilot

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:27 pm

Every match in the knockout by Belgium is EPIC!
That match against Japan, wow, won in the last minute from a 0-2 position and now finishing off world ranking leading Brasil...
Belgium may very well be the next world champion, as it is currently number 3 on the world ranking. Who's going to stop them from the other teams?
What irony if the English are forced to play Belgium again in the final, after the non-match in which they refused to play, and winning goals by Hazard, De Bruyne, Lukaku or Fellaini are scored???

scbriml

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:46 pm

Another really enthralling game. Well played Belgium, just about shaded it and De Bruyne's goal deserved to win a quarter-final. Brazil just didn't have enough, but made it a very nervous last 10 minutes for Belgium. They had several good chances to take the game to extra time.

Is it just me, or does anyone else want to give Neymar a damn good slapping? For god's sake man, stop throwing yourself around like you've just been hit by a sniper.

Next up Sweden vs England. Excited and nervous at the same time. :bouncy: :worried:

scbriml

Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:03 pm

On England vs Sweden...

We like them, but we want to beat them. How can we get under their skin? How about pranking IKEA?

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/10 ... 7834496000

Brilliantly British humour! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

LDLT

Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:03 pm

Hahaha Neymar
Maybe if he didn't fake it every damn time he could have gotten a penalty today

So, fourth time in a row that South America did not get the World Cup. In fact out of the last four times, this will be the third that no team from South America even made it to the finals. Europe is boss, the gap to everyone else is getting bigger

NIKV69

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:57 pm

alfa164 wrote:
MrHMSH wrote:

The Brazilians are going home... now all the Russian hookers will be out of work until Trump shows up... ;)

Neymar is so overrated not a shock

planewasted

Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:00 pm

Time to make the Englishmen cry. Go Sweden!!

If Sweden loses it is not a big deal. If England loses? Oh my....

Scorpius

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:01 pm

Today the Russian national football team will reach the semi-finals. Or lose. This, however, is no longer important, it is important that they show everything they are capable of - as in the match with Spain.

tu204

Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:24 pm

alfa164 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Don't forget about the Novichok we are slipping in the water of all the favourites ;)
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

jetwet1

Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:56 pm

I really hope that wasted chance doesn't come back to haunt England

seahawk

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:09 pm

tu204 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Don't forget about the Novichok we are slipping in the water of all the favourites ;)

Like in real life, this was planted by the Brits obviously.

alfa164

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:24 pm

Whether he scores or not in today's game, Harry Kane has to be the leading candidate for the Golden Boot.

Neymar, on the other hand, already is a shoo-in for the Golden Ass award.

Revelation

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:58 pm

Reminds me of a.net World Cup threads of old:

https://twitter.com/airlinerart/status/ ... 6410563584
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has it's beaches, it's homeland and thoughts of it's own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has it's seasons, it's evenings and songs of it's own

Kestrel333

Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:00 pm

planewasted wrote:
Time to make the Englishmen cry. Go Sweden!!

If Sweden loses it is not a big deal. If England loses? Oh my....

Not so fast! ;)

scbriml

Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:39 pm

That was a really solid performance by England. Get in there!

Only England's third WC semi-final in my lifetime and I was a bit too young to remember 1966. The pain of 1990 is still seared into my heart.

OMG, is it coming home?