Andre3K
Topic Author

If the internet shut down for 2 weeks........

Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:56 am

If the entire internet including mobile phone networks shut down for 2 weeks how would it affect you and what would you do? In today's society I could honestly see people killing themselves, maybe even some Airliners.net users(you never know).

I think besides the horrible business ramifications it would be a good thing, it would force people to interact in a way they haven't done in years.

What do you all say?

Aesma

Re: If the internet shut down for 2 weeks........

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:29 am

I couldn't work as my job is to help connect people through phones and teleconferencing. Aside from that I could manage, I have my own personal cloud at home that can last me a lifetime of entertainment. But you're right I'd probably want to connect with others "in real life".

It could cause many problems though, starting with the inability to get help when needed. Would radios still work ?

Main issue I see is that this could only happen if a catastrophe caused it, so it would certainly be awful.

There is a TV series where something similar happens BTW : https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2070791/
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Ken777

Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:56 am

No real impact on me as I'm retired.

Biggest impact for me is that I would need two go to the bank (main office) for cash as too much in the financial world is internet based and credit cards would be dead, as would ATMs.

While the internet may be dead smart phones would have limited use for games, calendars, apps. Same with iPads.

Biggest winner? Libraries.

BlueberryWheats

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:21 am

Andre3K wrote:
it would force people to interact in a way they haven't done in years.

When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. That pain is felt by others... the same thing happens when you're stupid.

Jouhou

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:31 am

For personal downtime, I guess I'd just read a book or wander around town.

In politics Trumps popularity might rise because no one's reading his insane tweets anymore.
情報

petertenthije

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:33 am

Ken777 wrote:
No real impact on me as I'm retired.

Everyone would be severely impacted, including you.

Every industry nowadays is dependant on the internet. The infrastructure to cope without internet has been largely dismantled.

Your supermarket and petrol station would run out of fast-movers in a day or two, everything else within a few days more. TV and most radio stations, except perhaps the local “radio pirates” would stop. Utilities are coordinated through the internet, so no more power and water.
Attamottamotta!

tommy1808

Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:42 am

petertenthije wrote:
Utilities are coordinated through the internet, so no more power and water.

Utilities have back up via VHF/UHF data-radio and/or Powerline communication, unless the operator is totally reckless.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Jouhou

Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:28 am

As a part of the national security apparatus, I can assure you all we are 100% capable of operating without internet connectivity (in the US anyways). We'd just lose some efficiency. We can be more prepared than you seem to think.
情報

Airstud

Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:30 am

Ken777 wrote:
credit cards would be dead, as would ATMs.

No, most ATM's connect to their hosts via leased lines; as do many credit card/POS terminals.
Pancakes are delicious.

fr8mech

Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:01 am

The world as we know it would come to a screeching halt, and then start moving again, albeit at a slower pace as back-ups and manual systems start to come online. The transition would take a lot less time than you'd expect. The average person may not have a back-up plan, but most major corporations and the government(s) most certainly do.

Though it will suck not getting my coffee water heated up on my fridge before headed downstairs.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Jouhou

Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:16 am

Andre3K wrote:
If the entire internet including mobile phone networks shut down for 2 weeks how would it affect you and what would you do? In today's society I could honestly see people killing themselves, maybe even some Airliners.net users(you never know).

I think besides the horrible business ramifications it would be a good thing, it would force people to interact in a way they haven't done in years.

What do you all say?

What inspired this thought for you anyways? A particular incident at work had me thinking about this when I saw this thread. You wouldnt happen to work in the defense sector would you?
情報

Channex757

Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:51 am

A lot, lot worse than you might think. Many TV channels now send broadcasts via fibre optic networks, ones that also carry internet traffic. This could mean radio and TV being turned off as well.

There has been so much convergence between networks and broadcast media that without the Internet, broadcast gets shut down too.

af773atmsp

Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:15 pm

Probably go on a lot of bike rides and walks. Visit my friends (assuming they're home since I don't have a way to contact them) and see how they're doing.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

tommy1808

Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:11 pm

Channex757 wrote:
A lot, lot worse than you might think. Many TV channels now send broadcasts via fibre optic networks, ones that also carry internet traffic. This could mean radio and TV being turned off as well..

Most of them do still operate sat equipment though, so if think it would take a lot of flexibility out, but wouldn't should them down. If all your TV comes via IP, you just wouldn't be able to see/hear their program anymore.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Andre3K
Topic Author

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:38 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Andre3K wrote:

What do you all say?

What inspired this thought for you anyways? A particular incident at work had me thinking about this when I saw this thread. You wouldnt happen to work in the defense sector would you?

Yes I do but that's not what inspired me. It was inspired by looking at how much people rely on the internet and social media to define themselves, living lavish on Facebook when they are really poor, looking happy when they are suicidal, being filled with the power to affect other people but how that power only exists online.

DocLightning

Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:49 pm

Most of us would die. Without modern communication, shipments of basic goods would not be able to get to their destinations. You would not be able to access your money. Nobody would. There would quickly be no medicine, no food, and soon after that no electricity and no water. Riots and looting would burgeon and law enforcement would struggle to respond...mostly because most of them would be half-starved.

Yes, there was civilization prior to the internet, but there was other infrastructure that allowed us to operate. Over time, as the internet expanded, the older infrastructure was dismantled. Remember those credit card clunker thingies that made triplicate receipts that business owners had to snail-mail to credit card companies? I haven't seen one in over 20 years. Many people don't have landlines anymore. We don't.

It would literally be an apocalypse. The internet isn't simply about cat videos.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

DocLightning

Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:25 pm

Airstud wrote:
As I said up-thread, ATM's - and nearly all the other bank equipment charged with maintaining demand-deposit accounts - communicate via leased lines, not via the Internet.

There wouldn't be enough cash around to suddenly take up the entire demands of society overnight.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Airstud

Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:28 pm

DocLightning wrote:
You would not be able to access your money. Nobody would.

This bit is untrue. (Trust me, I work in technology operations for a bank.)

As I said up-thread, ATM's - and nearly all the other bank equipment charged with maintaining demand-deposit accounts - communicate via leased lines, not via the Internet.

There would be a longer wait for your money, either at the ATM or the ol'-fashioned teller line, but the bank would still have record of your account and you would absolutely be able to access it.

Germane to this thread is the question, "what exactly is 'the Internet' - as distinct from other electronic communimacation auspices?" Because there is a difference.
Pancakes are delicious.

EstherLouise

Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:52 pm

I've gone a month without being online while in Europe. I could do it, but here at home? Difficult to say.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

Airstud

Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:04 am

DocLightning wrote:
Airstud wrote:

There wouldn't be enough cash around to suddenly take up the entire demands of society overnight.

But people wouldn't have to turn to cash exclusively, as credit card and point-of-sale terminals also frequently use leased lines instead of the 'Net.
Pancakes are delicious.

DocLightning

Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:59 am

Airstud wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
Airstud wrote:

But people wouldn't have to turn to cash exclusively, as credit card and point-of-sale terminals also frequently use leased lines instead of the 'Net.

But do the credit card companies maintain their own private networks? One would assume that transactions would be transmitted by the net because if I use my AmEx in Japan, their HQ back here in the US needs to find out about it.

But not only that, most of the medical supplies and medications we order at work at this point have to be ordered online. So we would run out of basic supplies like vaccines, medications, and suture by two weeks. Our wholesaler wouldn't be able to just set up a call center overnight. Also, our electronic medical record is internet based. Our X-ray system is internet-based. Airlines would be unable to operate. I also think that most grocery stores order their stock using internet-based systems. The same is true for pharmacies. They don't have leased lines directly to their wholesalers (there are two major wholesalers for pharmaceuticals in the US, Cardinal and McKesson).

There is too much infrastructure that relies on the internet for global outage of more than about 48 hours to not cause catastrophic effects.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

910A

Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:43 am

DocLightning wrote:
Most of us would die. Without modern communication, shipments of basic goods would not be able to get to their destinations. You would not be able to access your money. Nobody would. There would quickly be no medicine, no food, and soon after that no electricity and no water. Riots and looting would burgeon and law enforcement would struggle to respond...mostly because most of them would be half-starved.

Yes, there was civilization prior to the internet, but there was other infrastructure that allowed us to operate. Over time, as the internet expanded, the older infrastructure was dismantled. Remember those credit card clunker thingies that made triplicate receipts that business owners had to snail-mail to credit card companies? I haven't seen one in over 20 years. Many people don't have landlines anymore. We don't.

It would literally be an apocalypse. The internet isn't simply about cat videos.

Doc, just remember become friends with your closest LDS church member is that has six month of food stored at their house. :goodvibes: Anyways Ready.gov has planning tips in order to plan before a disaster happens.
Last edited by 910A on Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Airstud

Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:48 am

DocLightning wrote:
Airstud wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

But do the credit card companies maintain their own private networks?

This is what I was referring to in my previous post about how we need to more carefully define our terms & understand the distinction between a private network and The Net.

A leased line is ...well, leased... from the telco provider (AT&T, Verizon, Level 3, etc) by a company that wants constant connectivity between two sites. There are different technologies that might be selected, say frame relay, or ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode, nothing to do with cash machines), rickety ol' ISDN. In the case of frame relay the customer agrees to a CIR (Committed Information Rate) and they are charged accordingly; more dough for higher CIR's.

That's different from an Internet connection, where the customer pays a set rate for "Internet access," which - here is where I seriously risk the obvious - is a setup in which you send and receive TCP/IP traffic to and from globally routable IP addresses. In a leased-line situation, your addresses needn't - nay shouldn't - be globally routable, they should be private addresses as defined by RFC 1918, or a customer might even use a non-IP protocol (IS-IS, DECnet, or for all anyone cares, AppleTalk).

So what does the "Internet shutting down for 2 weeks" mean? I say it means telco's and ISP's not being able to route IP traffic between globally routable IP addresses within their own clouds and across each other's. Leased lines, operated entirely by one telco, and whose end systems aren't using global IP addresses, would not be included in such an event.
Pancakes are delicious.

seb146

Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:43 am

No Roku, no cable. It would bother me. I don't know who wins Drag Race! I wouldn't see the reunion with VANJIE!! I would not be able to pay my bills, but they might let it slide.

I would finally get to read the next chapter of "Little Women" and start reading "Phantom Of The Opera." Also, I would not be confronted with pictures of AN-148 or Dornier 328JET. Those high wing, twin engine jets really get me mad. But the BAe-146/AvroJet or Starlifters or Galaxy make me happy and calm.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Carp12c

Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:35 am

I've gone two weeks without the internet no problem.

Cadet985

Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:05 pm

If the Internet went down for even 24 hours, a lot of problems would happen, and I’m not even talking about people having to rediscover the nearly lost art of conversation. At a quick thought, banking and credit card systems and payments would be a problem. Airline travel would almost certainly come to a halt. Police would have a harder job because multiple radio and phone calls would have to be made on traffic stops to check for warrants, insurance, etc.

I could go on and on, but losing the aspects of the internet that have nothing to do with socializing would be nearly catastrophic.

Marc

Super80Fan

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:37 am

Uh, I wouldn't know what's in my bank account or get paid, or do my job for that matter so I probably would start robbing my local grocery store.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

Airstud

Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:21 am

Cadet985 wrote:
At a quick thought, banking and credit card systems and payments would be a problem.

Super80Fan wrote:
Uh, I wouldn't know what's in my bank account or get paid

I get the sense that I'm just not getting through to some people here...
Pancakes are delicious.

VSMUT

Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:16 pm

Andre3K wrote:
it would be a good thing, it would force people to interact in a way they haven't done in years.

What do you all say?

Why would interacting in old ways be good? I interact a lot more in 2018 through the internet than I would be able to do with out it.

ER757

Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:17 pm

DocLightning wrote:

I don't think "most of us" would die. A few, people who need those critical medications you refer to, might, but most of us? Nah - some folks might run out of gas and some folks' fridge might get emptied, but we're talking two weeks here, not an indefinite outage. The vast majority of people would certainly survive Doc. As for me. I would have two weeks off from work, that's a sure bet. I'd likely end up having to dig into my emergency kit for food after a week and a half or so but I'd definitely make it.

Airstud

Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:32 pm

ER757 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

some folks might run out of gas

Medically speaking, that would soooooooo never happen to me.
Pancakes are delicious.

texdravid

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:26 am

Urban liberals would have a harder time than conservative rural folk who store food and can hunt/fish. Rural people more often have diesel generators and are less tied to the online internet community so in survivor scenarios they would last longer.

I’m talking healthy people, not chronically ill people on medications and such.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.