einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Smart House Owners

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:43 pm

Sound off.

Do you have a smart home appliance? How has it changed the living space?

So far, I have Google Home Mini (with another on the way), Amazon Echo Dot, Phillips Hue, and a Nest Thermostat E (on the way).

So far, with the Hue, I have a lightbulb in my bedroom and another in the living room. I eventually would like to change all the ceiling lights with Hue lights. It'll be especially nice during winter when I can get home and not worry about finding a dark house, but also not leave lights on all day. The problem is that I need flood bulbs and those cost a pretty penny...EACH. I use GHM to turn off the lights and wake me up in the morning. The speaker is pretty darn good.

Eventually, I'd also like to get a wifi capable garage door opener, the Ring Doorbell (or Nest Doorbell), and indoor cameras to monitor my cat.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

steveinbc

Re: Smart House Owners

Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:52 am

I have an Amazon echo plus and an echo with a couple of lights. While I appreciate the novelty of them....I'm not yet blown away by what they can and can not do. Obviously they learn and when I can ask what the next bus is and for it to perform bank transactions and the like then I think it will be a more useful tool.
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

Aesma

Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:52 am

I have nothing yet but plan on building a new home, that would at least be "smart ready". I have no plan to use a Google Home (just launched in France) or similar as to me these devices are way too intrusive. I'll wait for something that can provide similar services while not sending anything to anybody, especially US based companies.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

northstardc4m

Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:05 am

Google Home Mini (living room)
Alexa Dot (bedroom)
Logitech Harmony
Chromecast x2
Several outlet controllers
3 light switches
Ecobee thermostat

We had a Hue setup but it's easier to do the wall switches if you can with the house wiring... I am fortunate that despite the age of the house the switches could be retrofitted with a little modification at the breaker box but no rewiring.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Freakysh

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:00 am

None. No plan to.

At this stage turning on a light is still achievable whilst I'm able bodied.

mham001

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:31 am

Aesma wrote:
I have nothing yet but plan on building a new home, that would at least be "smart ready". I have no plan to use a Google Home (just launched in France) or similar as to me these devices are way too intrusive. I'll wait for something that can provide similar services while not sending anything to anybody, especially US based companies.

Someday, maybe an EU company will finally innovate something new you can buy.

Jouhou

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:53 am

I'm concerned about security. I modernize, like using led lighting, but I'm worried that smart appliances and "the internet of things" is too insecure. I don't want to be an early adopter for this reason, maybe later.

Channex757

Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:02 am

I'm a bit behind the curve here, but I do have one TP-Link smart bulb in one room. It's very similar to Philips Hue (which I have in the lounge) but operates without the need for a hub. It also uses the Wi-Fi in the house and a smartphone app.

I do like the Hue, but don't like the cost of expanding it and the bulbs. TP-Link seem to be trying to undercut Philips quite a bit on price.

DLFREEBIRD

Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:24 am

yes, we have a smart home, but we did this several years ago, when it was very new, and we spent a lot of money getting it set up. I think it's a lot cheaper now.
i won't say how much money was spent, but way to much. i can shut lights off on the top floor or bottom floor all at once. when i walk into the bathroom the light
automatically turns on, this also happens in the garage. I can tell on my ap what the temperatures is on my phone and unlock it, for people staying there to turn it up or down,
and i can turn it up or down on the ap. I can talk to people in the home if i want to, but try not to because it freaks them out. i can tell the coffee machine to make coffree
i can tell when someone smoked in my home, i can tell if a door is unlocked or locked. I can see on camera who is in my house or outside my house. i was broken into and i could tell by my motion detection system, what room they were in, and when they left. we got to the house 10 minutes after they left. also my motion detection shuts down everything after 30 minutes. that is the big savings, off goes air condition system, or furnace, also the lights turn off. finally all i have to say is ok google goodbye and she says goodbye and automatically shuts off all the lights.

Kiwirob

Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:03 am

mham001 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

There’s a Norwegian company called ELKO who do a complete smart home set up, it’s all Norwegian designed and manufactured.

Zeppi

Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:59 am

Jouhou wrote:
I'm concerned about security. I modernize, like using led lighting, but I'm worried that smart appliances and "the internet of things" is too insecure. I don't want to be an early adopter for this reason, maybe later.

This. I'd never ever trust google, amazon, facebook et al with any of my private data, let alone allowing them gather data from my home. Solution: Autonomous management.
We use a mix of KNX framework with 1-wire sensory and various actuators that are KNX compatible. Basically the house manages itself fully autonomous, non-networked to the outside. It knows the room temperatures everywhere as well as the outside temperature, wind speed, humidity and pressure. That data is used to make a rough 48h prediction and adjust the heating/ventilation/cooling accordingly. It knows how many hours of daylight there will be, so power intensive tasks like making hot water or running the washing machine is done during a peak phase on the photovoltaik system. Excess energy is stored in the battery matrix for nighttime use, if the batteries are fully charged excess energy is fed into the grid.
The house knows where people are through infrared presence detectors and thus enables lights there once the ambient light reaches a threshold. It also shades the windows if sunlight is excessive so illumination and temperature are always constant whilst requiring minimum energy.
The possibilities with this system are pretty much limitless, the limit is the users' creativity and will to fiddle around with it. Currently I'm programming a drone that'll be activated by outside presence detectors, fly a search grid and follow a potential intruder whilst recording in visible light and infrared. It works using my wife as a "test target" already, but I'm not happy with the recovery sequence yet. Yesterday I had to pick it from a tree :D

FabDiva

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:59 am

mham001 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

There is Hive in the UK who've been doing home automation. It seems for the most part though EU companies have been working on the hardware side (Philips with Hue, Hive with Heating etc etc)

FabDiva

Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:00 pm

Channex757 wrote:
I'm a bit behind the curve here, but I do have one TP-Link smart bulb in one room. It's very similar to Philips Hue (which I have in the lounge) but operates without the need for a hub. It also uses the Wi-Fi in the house and a smartphone app.

I do like the Hue, but don't like the cost of expanding it and the bulbs. TP-Link seem to be trying to undercut Philips quite a bit on price.

Ikea's bulbs are Hue compatible - and much cheaper then the Philips ones

DL717

Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:56 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Sound off.

Do you have a smart home appliance? How has it changed the living space?

So far, I have Google Home Mini (with another on the way), Amazon Echo Dot, Phillips Hue, and a Nest Thermostat E (on the way).

So far, with the Hue, I have a lightbulb in my bedroom and another in the living room. I eventually would like to change all the ceiling lights with Hue lights. It'll be especially nice during winter when I can get home and not worry about finding a dark house, but also not leave lights on all day. The problem is that I need flood bulbs and those cost a pretty penny...EACH. I use GHM to turn off the lights and wake me up in the morning. The speaker is pretty darn good.

Eventually, I'd also like to get a wifi capable garage door opener, the Ring Doorbell (or Nest Doorbell), and indoor cameras to monitor my cat.

Plenty of smart home features, but I draw the line at things like the Home Pod and a talking refrigerator. That’s too much for me. I often debate if I will keep my iPhone after I stop working, but I have a feeling to will be a necessity to function. The other items I mention not so much.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Channex757

Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:08 pm

FabDiva wrote:
Channex757 wrote:

Ikea's bulbs are Hue compatible - and much cheaper then the Philips ones

I thought they were just white ones like the Vue bulbs. What I actually want is another 3 or more Hue colour ones.

Then I can have the place lit up like a cheap Salford brothel

zkojq

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:46 pm

I'm sceptical of most of this autonomous stuff. It opens up the risk of intrusions/being hacked and I'm not convinced of their redundancy. Case in point: in 2016 South Australia had a state-wide power-cut. It started at around 1530. A friend had one of those rfid entry systems at their home. By the time they got home (took much longer than normal due to traffic lights not working, petrol stations not being able to pump fuel, trams not working and most of the public transit system in disarray etc) the rfid reader system's backup battery had gone flat and thus he was locked out. Apparently this new home was much too advanced to use "stone-age tech" like "physical keys" (his words, not mine).

With a lot of the systems they are dependant on your WiFi router, no? So again, a single point of failure. If the router fails you might lose control of your lights, AC, access and more until you can replace it and reprogram the new one? :scratchchin: It's not like lightswitches are that hard to use anyway, is it?

Zeppi wrote:
This. I'd never ever trust google, amazon, facebook et al with any of my private data, let alone allowing them gather data from my home.

Me also.

Zeppi wrote:
Solution: Autonomous management. We use a mix of KNX framework with 1-wire sensory and various actuators that are KNX compatible. Basically the house manages itself fully autonomous, non-networked to the outside. It knows the room temperatures everywhere as well as the outside temperature, wind speed, humidity and pressure. That data is used to make a rough 48h prediction and adjust the heating/ventilation/cooling accordingly. It knows how many hours of daylight there will be, so power intensive tasks like making hot water or running the washing machine is done during a peak phase on the photovoltaik system. Excess energy is stored in the battery matrix for nighttime use, if the batteries are fully charged excess energy is fed into the grid.

Now that is the kind of stuff that I like!
First to fly the 787-9

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:41 pm

zkojq wrote:
It's not like lightswitches are that hard to use anyway, is it?

No...but if you know you'll be home when it's dark, tell me you wouldn't mind the ability to turn on the lights before you get there but not leave them on all day. Tell me that you truly don't mind leaving lights on at night because you went up to your bed and remembered there was a light left on. Tell me you wouldn't like the convenience to light up the rooms you'll be going to before you do.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Richard28

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:37 pm

I have three echo's (standard one, an echo and a spot), Tado Thermostat, SomfyProtect House alarm (with two internal cameras), Hue Lights in one room (only the gym currently), Nestcam IQ Outdoor camera and a few Wemo switches.

I link things together with IFTTT, to automatically switch off certain lights and switches, for example when the house alarm is set to night mode or fully armed mode.

The wemo switches I got before I invested in Hue, and find them helpful for activating certain lights and having automation whilst we are away. They are also handy for programming outside Christmas lights to come on at sunset and switch off automatically at a set time.

I love the echos, especially for music, and the spot makes a fantastic bedside clock that can also show the nestcam outside security camera onto our driveway, and all our devices are Alexa compatible.

I have a manual light switch with the Hue lights, which is what we use most of the time (rather than through the echo), however it is helpful to be able to dim them/change colour whilst on the spin bike for example so voice activation is used most days. Alexa is also perfect for selecting and changing music whilst in the gym.

The Tado thermostat whilst linking to IFTTT works fine in isolation - its selling point is that you should not need to interact with it - and works very well.

Quite happy with the set up, seems to work well and not had many problems, in particular the Somfy internal cameras are excellent as they have physical camera shutters on them, so you know they are off and not recording to the cloud whilst at home.

Over time I will possibly increase the number of rooms with Hue lights, but am in no rush, as don't need the different colours or automation in most rooms.

DLFREEBIRD

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:53 pm

zkoiq wrhote: [[u]i] [u]I'm skeptical of most of this autonomous stuff. It opens up the risk of intrusions/being hacked and I'm not convinced of their redundancy. Case in point: in 2016 South Australia had a state-wide power-cut. It started at around 1530. A friend had one of those rfid entry systems at their home. By the time they got home (took much longer than normal due to traffic lights not working, petrol stations not being able to pump fuel, trams not working and most of the public transit system in disarray etc) the rfid reader system's backup battery had gone flat and thus he was locked out. Apparently this new home was much too advanced to use "stone-age tech" like "physical keys" (his words, not mine). [[/i]

The battery can be a problem, it warns you by talking to you, when it's low. however, it has gone completely dead several times from people not paying attention or not understanding the warning. we have a back up system to get into the house. everyone should have a backup system.
if the power is off, your screwed, but then so is everyone without power. This recently happened and the Eco system battery backup system switched on, because of that i didn't know
the power was off, and assumed a breaking went off. i had to go outside and flip all the breakers before figuring we had a power outage. i've also had problems with the wiring system wearing out, this has happened several times in three years, now i know to cut the wires and replace them, when it first happened, i bought a new Eco system, which was a waste of money, and unnecessary. I now know how to trouble shoot all the problems, i swear any glitch you have you can find the solution on youtube. which walks you step by step to fix everything,
and it can take literally minutes to fix, no need to call a expert.

TWA772LR

Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:00 pm

I have an echo dot in my bathroom. Its great to listen to music with while taking a shower. Except its built in speaker is pretty weak so i got some cheap Logitech speakers at Best Buy and it works very well!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Zeppi

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:46 am

zkojq wrote:
With a lot of the systems they are dependant on your WiFi router, no? So again, a single point of failure.

True. That's why I don't regard such networked system, especially if they are directly connected to google or amazon, as "smart" in its very sense. If you need user interaction anyway, e.g. on your smartphone/tablet you might as well just flick a switch the old school way. At least you don't have the man in the middle and multiple vulnerable points then.

Now that is the kind of stuff that I like!

And that's really just the tip of the iceberg. Energy management is the #1 priority with such a system which makes sense to save money and resources, a lot actually. Since just about a year my house is running fully energy autonomous, hasn't drawn a single watt hour from the grid, but fed it around 3500kWh.
But of course you can also fool around with it, like with the drone. Or have humidity sensors in the lawn and flowers so the sprinklers come on when it's too dry. You could even have a laser photocell detecting when the lawn reaches a certain length so the system tells the mower to go out and cut it :D

Redd

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:33 am

One of my friends have just finished the inside of her new flat, everything from the lights, TV, coffee machine, radio, environmental systems, oven etc,. can be controlled from her phone. It was all her husband's idea, she hates it. lol. They have a house in the suburbs where she stays and she refuses to stay in the flat. Needless to say husband is pissed off as it cost them north of 7 digits in the euros.

Personally, I prefer simple traditional homes and flats with high end fixtures. Not a big fan of the smart home revolution.