Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Revelation
Topic Author

“Millennial” is no longer a synonym for “young person”

Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:35 pm

Interesting article from https://www.theringer.com/pop-culture/2 ... -young-old

If we can get past quibbles about exactly who is a millennial and who his not, it's interesting to read the angst of this 31-year-old in this piece.

The main theme:

When we’re no longer able to be stereotyped as lazy, entitled, iPhone-lobotomized kids, how, exactly, will we be seen? What will we be known for? What happens when a generation infamous for its anxiety about “adulting” starts approaching (gulp) middle age?

To me, the punchiest section:

Maybe we’ve been so distracted by our millennial-pink aesthetics and avocado punch lines because it’s too depressing to think of what defines us on a deeper level. Uncertainty. Collapse. The feeling that we’re cosmically screwed.

There's a lot of truth in that. I'm a tail-end baby boomer. My parents generation talked a lot about wanting the world to be a better place for their kids than it was for them. Being raised by parents who lived through WW1 and the Great Depression and themselves living through WW2 and its aftermath (both my parents grew up in post-WW2 refugee camps and immigrated to the US as penniless paupers) can do that to a person. But to my generation and the one following, it's almost completely been "greed is good", "once I get mine", etc. Why fund schools when we can keep the money ourselves?

And there's also a lot of truth to the idea that it was the parents of millennials who invented participation trophies, put the iPhones in to their hands, and perfected helicopter parenting, so maybe all of us are "cosmically screwed".
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

bgm

Re: “Millennial” is no longer a synonym for “young person”

Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:39 pm

What does this have to do with civil aviation?

FlyHappy

Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:44 pm

forgive this non-millennial for asking, but why is this an aviation topic?
is my millennial pilot currently angst-ing over his cosmic non-relevance or something?

DL717

Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:54 pm

Revelation wrote:
Interesting article from https://www.theringer.com/pop-culture/2 ... -young-old

If we can get past quibbles about exactly who is a millennial and who his not, it's interesting to read the angst of this 31-year-old in this piece.

The main theme:

When we’re no longer able to be stereotyped as lazy, entitled, iPhone-lobotomized kids, how, exactly, will we be seen? What will we be known for? What happens when a generation infamous for its anxiety about “adulting” starts approaching (gulp) middle age?

To me, the punchiest section:

Maybe we’ve been so distracted by our millennial-pink aesthetics and avocado punch lines because it’s too depressing to think of what defines us on a deeper level. Uncertainty. Collapse. The feeling that we’re cosmically screwed.

There's a lot of truth in that. I'm a tail-end baby boomer. My parents generation talked a lot about wanting the world to be a better place for their kids than it was for them. Being raised by parents who lived through WW1 and the Great Depression and themselves living through WW2 and its aftermath (both my parents grew up in post-WW2 refugee camps and immigrated to the US as penniless paupers) can do that to a person. But to my generation and the one following, it's almost completely been "greed is good", "once I get mine", etc. Why fund schools when we can keep the money ourselves?

And there's also a lot of truth to the idea that it was the parents of millennials who invented participation trophies, put the iPhones in to their hands, and perfected helicopter parenting, so maybe all of us are "cosmically screwed".

Millennials are going to be a lost generation. My kids are the next silent generation. What’s beyond that, who knows. Things are quite a mess and they have been getting progressively worse since WWI.
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

Aesma

Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:16 pm

If "adulting" means stopping doing things we like to only concentrate on "chores" then I don't see the point. Millenials who haven't learned a skill are screwed, just like everyone else without a skill, nothing new there. Plenty of millenials have degrees and will be fine.

Also, it's very American to want to put people in little boxes. Who cares ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Revelation
Topic Author

Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:44 pm

Aesma wrote:
If "adulting" means stopping doing things we like to only concentrate on "chores" then I don't see the point.

I think adulting is more about taking on responsibilities vs avoiding taking on responsibilities.

Millenials who haven't learned a skill are screwed, just like everyone else without a skill, nothing new there. Plenty of millenials have degrees and will be fine.

Having a degree (at least here in the US) doesn't necessarily correlate to being fine or even having a (useful) skill. So many leave school deeply in debt only to be offered a chance to work for free or for bus fare, and if they get a job it's as a contractor and without benefits.

As for parenting across the generations, I think my dad in particular did a bad job of passing on useful skills. Men of his generation thought of kids as the woman's problem. My dad had a lot of (real life, practical) skills and really never tried to pass them on. I'm not too impressed with much of the parenting I now see going on. In retrospect it's pretty sad how few examples of really good parenting I've witnessed in my life. Many current parents seem to think it's good enough to put food on the table and teach the kid to not soil themselves and not very much more. Electronic devices are used to babysit the kids and then they wonder why the kids end up having little initiative or creativity after a childhood of pre-formed content has been streamed into their brains.

Also, it's very American to want to put people in little boxes.

A perhaps overly optimistic way of looking at this is as a poor but better than nothing attempt to better understand others.

seb146

Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:16 pm

I think Millennials are smarter than we give them credit for. They may look lazy but what are their choices? They see money in tech, so many of them are trying hard to do something in tech or tech adjacent. Boomers and GenX have made things more and more difficult for them, IMO. They don't want to work at Wal-Mart or McDondalds forever, so they are trying to do anything else. Like being YouTube stars or writing code for apps. Good for them.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

DL717

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:33 pm

seb146 wrote:
I think Millennials are smarter than we give them credit for. They may look lazy but what are their choices? They see money in tech, so many of them are trying hard to do something in tech or tech adjacent. Boomers and GenX have made things more and more difficult for them, IMO. They don't want to work at Wal-Mart or McDondalds forever, so they are trying to do anything else. Like being YouTube stars or writing code for apps. Good for them.

Maybe smart, but having no common sense and unable to handle criticism.
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

Jouhou

Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:28 pm

DL717 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Does unable to handle criticism mean we object to stupid boomer memes that aren't in the least bit accurate? When boomers say we are lazy and "entitled" when they are the ones with the sense of entitlement? The older generations who rig the system so that they'll be dead by the time anyone has to actually pay for the debts they've racked up (think "tax cuts")?
情報

Revelation
Topic Author

Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:24 pm

Jouhou wrote:
When boomers say we are lazy and "entitled" when they are the ones with the sense of entitlement? The older generations who rig the system so that they'll be dead by the time anyone has to actually pay for the debts they've racked up (think "tax cuts")?

The tax cuts thing isn't ageist, it's classist.

There's far younger and far wealthier people than myself that are reaping the windfalls of the tax cuts thing whereas I'm not.

I'm not sure where I go with the "entitled" criticism.

I see a lot of young people who don't seem to have needed to work as hard as I did as a youngster but I also recognize the world was a very different place when I was a young person.

I also see elderly people living at a far higher standard than did the elders of my youth.

Jouhou

Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:26 pm

Revelation wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
When boomers say we are lazy and "entitled" when they are the ones with the sense of entitlement? The older generations who rig the system so that they'll be dead by the time anyone has to actually pay for the debts they've racked up (think "tax cuts")?

There's far younger and far wealthier people than myself that are reaping the windfalls of the tax cuts thing whereas I'm not.

I see a lot of young people who don't seem to have needed to work as hard as I did as a youngster but I also recognize the world was a very different place when I was a young person.

I also see elderly people living at a far higher standard than did the elders of my youth.

My early adulthood i worked 3 jobs to afford the "rent" my parents imposed upon me, they took every penny I made to make the prospect of moving out impossible. I was beaten and yelled at about how "good" I had it. I don't think my resentment goes unfounded.

My parents still think they "spoiled" me. I think they accidentally had a baby they didn't want and think I owe them everything for their choice to have it.
情報

DarkSnowyNight

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:12 pm

DL717 wrote:
Things are quite a mess and they have been getting progressively worse since WWI.

In what way? Millenials and the generation behind them have the lowest rates of teen pregnancy, drug use/misuse and engagement in violent crime in literally all of western history.

They also have the highest rates of high school graduation and entrance/completion of secondary education and are more likely to participate in extra curriculars than we were.

Best of all, they seem to have a better understanding of the world at large than older members of society who increasingly rely on pictures with captions to tell them what to be outraged about.

Jouhou wrote:

My early adulthood i worked 3 jobs to afford the "rent" my parents imposed upon me, they took every penny I made to make the prospect of moving out impossible. I was beaten and yelled at about how "good" I had it. I don't think my resentment goes unfounded.

My parents still think they "spoiled" me. I think they accidentally had a baby they didn't want and think I owe them everything for their choice to have it.

Yeah, unfortunately this seems to be more typical of older generations' disposition toward the kids these days. To me, it's thinly veiled resentment of their own lost youth coupled with the inability to address their own failures in life. I have, FWIW, noticed that these attitude problems from older generations don't seem as common among the more successful classes.

To wit, it's easier to punch down on someone else than actually do enough heavy lifting to fix one's own problems.
Well, you know what they say. Whatever doesn't kill you...
... Must not be an MD-11.

Jouhou

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:38 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
DL717 wrote:
Things are quite a mess and they have been getting progressively worse since WWI.

In what way? Millenials and the generation behind them have the lowest rates of teen pregnancy, drug use/misuse and engagement in violent crime in literally all of western history.

They also have the highest rates of high school graduation and entrance/completion of secondary education and are more likely to participate in extra curriculars than we were.

Best of all, they seem to have a better understanding of the world at large than older members of society who increasingly rely on pictures with captions to tell them what to be outraged about.

Jouhou wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately this seems to be more typical of older generations' disposition toward the kids these days. To me, it's thinly veiled resentment of their own lost youth coupled with the inability to address their own failures in life. I have, FWIW, noticed that these attitude problems from older generations don't seem as common among the more successful classes.

To wit, it's easier to punch down on someone else than actually do enough heavy lifting to fix one's own problems.

Eh, at retirement my parents combined income was over 200k a year and they both had college degrees. I don't mean to be broadly hating boomers, it's just that such a high proportion of them seem so dead set on not only demonizing their own children, but actually rejecting them as a lost cause.

Look, if you knew you didn't want kids and you were going to hate them, why did you have them?

Also this:

https://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/money ... most-debt/
情報

seb146

Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:18 pm

Jouhou wrote:
DL717 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Does unable to handle criticism mean we object to stupid boomer memes that aren't in the least bit accurate? When boomers say we are lazy and "entitled" when they are the ones with the sense of entitlement? The older generations who rig the system so that they'll be dead by the time anyone has to actually pay for the debts they've racked up (think "tax cuts")?

Look at it this way: boomers got good paying jobs with low cost education and good housing cheap and low cost health care. Now, Millennials want that exact same thing but can not afford school, can not get a good paying job because school is too expensive, can not afford health care, and can not afford housing. Gee... I wonder.... Maybe it is not "entitlement" so much as "I really want to do what they did but they moved the goal posts so far it is impossible." Even as a GenX'er, I struggle. I have an education but it cost too much and, now, health care is too expensive and the rent is going up. But, I suppose that is all my fault? Because... I don't know... my family does not have billions?

Jouhou

Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:20 pm

seb146 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
DL717 wrote:

Look at it this way: boomers got good paying jobs with low cost education and good housing cheap and low cost health care. Now, Millennials want that exact same thing but can not afford school, can not get a good paying job because school is too expensive, can not afford health care, and can not afford housing. Gee... I wonder.... Maybe it is not "entitlement" so much as "I really want to do what they did but they moved the goal posts so far it is impossible." Even as a GenX'er, I struggle. I have an education but it cost too much and, now, health care is too expensive and the rent is going up. But, I suppose that is all my fault? Because... I don't know... my family does not have billions?

Yeah, genx got the shaft too, but at least the generation is too small for anyone to directly scapegoat like what happens to "millenials".
情報

Pellegrine

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:39 am

I'm 32 and I never considered myself a"millennial". The breadth of that category is ridiculous. I am solidly generation Z, born in the mid 80s.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

seahawk

Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:25 am

Read the articles about generation X from the 1980ies/1990ies and compare them to articles today. This has no meaning apart from sharing some defining common experiences. Every generation grew up to shoulder the responsibility.

Thunderboltdrgn

Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:41 am

Revelation wrote:

IMO, the answer is easy. A "millennial" is someone born in the 21st century.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

Aesma

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:17 pm

The word millenial was coined before anyone born in the 21st had had the opportunity to do anything significant (I put a low bar on that term, obviously) so that doesn't really work.

It seems people born in the 21st are actually not millenials but what comes after.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Revelation
Topic Author

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:07 pm

Jouhou wrote:

Sounds like some poor parenting to me.

Hopefully you can come to grips with resentment. It can really be a drag on a person mentally. I've seen people in my age group not talk to their parents for 30 years and cling to resentment like a badge of honor. Well, my bet is if the parents are as lousy as they think they are, they aren't feeling any pain due to the resentment of the child, and the only thing that's going on is the child is just drowning themselves in a sea of negative energy. It'd be better to just keep the distance from the parents to avoid re-triggering yourself and let go of the resentment. They are their own people who did things their own way, and now that you're an adult you can decide what part if any they have in your life.

seb146 wrote:

As discussed here and elsewhere, this is a side effect of the GOP's decisions in the 70s/80s to "drain the swamp" of academia. They viewed universities as hotbeds of liberalism and thus focused on de-funding them. They didn't seem to care that the end result would be a generation or more of under-educated Americans. They viewed themselves as already being wealthy enough to take care of their own, or unable to admit they aren't wealthy enough to take care of their own, just like how today many poor people vote GOP for no apparent reason. They couldn't comprehend the impact on having generations of under educated kids all around them, in their own estimation they'd be OK, all they needed to do was build the moat and raise the drawbridge. Now, if anything else, things have gotten worse with the introduction of for-profit universities. A few fat-cats get rich by de-frauding what is left of public support for education, and their conservative clan mates applaud them for being good capitalists. Again, they don't seem to understand how vital good education is to the country as a whole. They're perfectly fine with a return of feudalism.

Aesma wrote:
The word millenial was coined before anyone born in the 21st had had the opportunity to do anything significant (I put a low bar on that term, obviously) so that doesn't really work.

It seems people born in the 21st are actually not millenials but what comes after.

Agree, being labeled a millennial is about coming of age in the new millennia, not being born in it.

The article makes the point that that kids 17 and younger see themselves as a different generation than millennials.

casinterest

Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:35 pm

Pellegrine wrote:
I'm 32 and I never considered myself a"millennial". The breadth of that category is ridiculous. I am solidly generation Z, born in the mid 80s.

You are a Millennial. Generation Z is for those born in the 90's after the Millennials.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Jouhou

Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:17 am

casinterest wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

You are a Millennial. Generation Z is for those born in the 90's after the Millennials.

I think he meant X. While firmly categorizing generations into a box is bs, the common major events each generation experiences in their formative years does give them distinctive characteristics. Meaning, the whole idea of generational behaviors is best explained as a gradient. Older Millennials as myself share a lot of common experiences with Gen X, and thus we tend to share characteristics with Gen X, whereas young Millennials share traits with Gen Z.

I'm pretty sure the Millennial/Gen X transitional generation are sometimes called the "oregon trail" generation because that IS definitely something we all remember from our youth.

I think Millennials are defined by knowing the USA before 9/11 and seeing how it all changed while still being in our youth. It was a generational trauma, not just by the incident itself but the subsequent wars, the difficulty getting through airports, and well, sort of seeing the government sign away our freedom for the sake of "security" (patriot act).

That and the advent of the internet during our youth. And with that, things like 4chan. Which is why I really find it insanely ironic how boomers call us snowflakes in the sense that we are too sensitive. Bitches, we invented being offensive for the sake of being offensive. If we protest, it's because we like the fight, and yes, offending boomers.
情報

JJJ

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:17 am

Jouhou wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Millennial/Gen X transitional generation are sometimes called the "oregon trail" generation because that IS definitely something we all remember from our youth.

If you are from the US, that is.

Jouhou

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:02 am

JJJ wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

If you are from the US, that is.

I almost added that disclaimer, but figured that went without saying. I don't think Europe was that interested in edutainment about 19th century pioneers in the americas.
情報

Aesma

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:04 am

What about Sid Meier's Civilization ?

tommy1808

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:15 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
DL717 wrote:

:checkmark:

So when complains like this come up:

DL717 wrote:

They are best translated as: Those damn kids know better than me and the have the audacity to actually tell me that.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

JJJ

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:40 pm

Aesma wrote:
What about Sid Meier's Civilization ?

Nowhere near as widespread. Played Street Fighter II on an arcade machine would be a closer worldwide phenomenon.

CitizenJustin

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:02 pm

All generations in history have said the same thing about younger generations. Even a prominent philosopher 2,000 years ago (can’t remember which one) said that he worries for the future because the youth of today no longer respect their parents authority and would rather engage in shallow pursuits. Sound familiar? So since we have evidence that this has been going on for at least two millennia, there’s no reason to think there’s any truth behind it, especially since the youth with “shallow pursuits” arguably made the world better and now here we are.

There’s nothing wrong with millennials or the younger generations period. People fall into a trap of romanticizing a past that never truly existed, which ultimately devalues your own existence. Before millennials it was people complaining about generation X and it will continue going on and on and on. It’s all complete BS.

casinterest

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:22 pm

Jouhou wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

I think he meant X. While firmly categorizing generations into a box is bs, the common major events each generation experiences in their formative years does give them distinctive characteristics. Meaning, the whole idea of generational behaviors is best explained as a gradient. Older Millennials as myself share a lot of common experiences with Gen X, and thus we tend to share characteristics with Gen X, whereas young Millennials share traits with Gen Z.

I think Millennials are defined by knowing the USA before 9/11 and seeing how it all changed while still being in our youth. It was a generational trauma, not just by the incident itself but the subsequent wars, the difficulty getting through airports, and well, sort of seeing the government sign away our freedom for the sake of "security" (patriot act).

That and the advent of the internet during our youth. And with that, things like 4chan. Which is why I really find it insanely ironic how boomers call us snowflakes in the sense that we are too sensitive. Bitches, we invented being offensive for the sake of being offensive. If we protest, it's because we like the fight, and yes, offending boomers.

I would argue that he is still a Millennial. Millennial are a generation, Not a set of traits. If you graduated High school after GWB became president in 2001, I would call you a millennial. Millennials receive grief rather unfairly for a lot of economic issue that were not there fault. 2 big recessions hit while they where finishing schooling and looking for jobs. Generation X, of which I landed in the middle of, is more of a generation that knew Pong/Star Wars(( where Solo shot first),)/Superman(Christopher Reeve)/A TEAM/Dukes of Hazard/ Dungeons and Dragons and not all of it knew the Oregon Trail. We did our Say No to Drugs marches,and can remember a Cold War that seemed always on the edge of nuclear war.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

CitizenJustin

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:30 pm

casinterest wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I would argue that he is still a Millennial. Millennial are a generation, Not a set of traits. If you graduated High school after GWB became president in 2001, I would call you a millennial. Millennials receive grief rather unfairly for a lot of economic issue that were not there fault. 2 big recessions hit while they where finishing schooling and looking for jobs. Generation X, of which I landed in the middle of, is more of a generation that knew Pong/Star Wars(( where Solo shot first),)/Superman(Christopher Reeve)/A TEAM/Dukes of Hazard/ Dungeons and Dragons and not all of it knew the Oregon Trail. We did our Say No to Drugs marches,and can remember a Cold War that seemed always on the edge of nuclear war.

I agree. I’ve always seen millennials defined as people between the ages of 18-34 in various publications and definitions. Of course that will keep going up. Do you know if the latest generation has been formally named yet?

casinterest

Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:28 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

I agree. I’ve always seen millennials defined as people between the ages of 18-34 in various publications and definitions. Of course that will keep going up. Do you know if the latest generation has been formally named yet?

Generation Z is that generation born in the era around 2000 until now. However most generations don't get defined until they are much older. Generation Z will have many of Generation X's Children in it, and some of the Millennials as well. I think sometime in the next few years there will be a new name for the 2015/2020 generation.

Tugger

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:30 pm

Revelation wrote:

I think it could be put like this: Of course they are living higher they had their parents pay for them and then voted for younger people to pay for the "far higher standard".

Basically the boomers voted tax cuts (Reagan, and on down the line) and didn't allow for budget cuts thereby driving up the debt which the younger generation would have to pay for.

It is not an exact or in depth argument but the elements are right. The boomers were the most powerful voting block for decades and decent chunk of the current US leadership are boomers and so have the same ideals. I am all for "keeping what is mine" but boomers are spending what isn't theirs (i.e. US budget debt) and not willing to change that, in fact they appear willing to bankrupt the nation with it. For decades we have known the "trust fund" for SS is going to run out, and for decades nothing has been done. There were two simple solutions for it (and others of course): Lift the cap and/or increase the withholding a a bit. But the boomers voted against doing anything. And then their is medicare.... There are other examples of "leaving for the youngers to pay" but this is a simple one.

So I am not actually laying all at the feet of boomers there is a lot more at play that just a simplistic answer like that. I am just offering the outlines for an argument that the boomers have taken advantage as does each generation if hey have control (and the boomers controlled longer than others). On the other side, one the greatest transfers of wealth in the history of humankind is now ongoing with the boomers dying and passing on their wealth to their children.

Tugg
Last edited by Tugger on Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Pellegrine

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:41 pm

casinterest wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

I meant Gen Y.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

Pellegrine

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:41 pm

casinterest wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

I meant Gen Y.

casinterest

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:13 pm

Pellegrine wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

I meant Gen Y.

Gen Y are the millennials.

Pellegrine

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:46 pm

casinterest wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I meant Gen Y.

According to some. According to others millenials are younger than Gen Y. I know sure as hell I don't have anything in common with young millenials. And I just hate that term. To each their own.

casinterest

Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:38 pm

Pellegrine wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

I meant Gen Y.

According to some. According to others millenials are younger than Gen Y. I know sure as hell I don't have anything in common with young millenials. And I just hate that term. To each their own.

According to all. You may not like the term, but it is what you are. You may have some things in common with young millenials, and you may have things in common with Old Gen Xers, but at the end of the day, your generation is defined by a timestamp.

LockheedBBD

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:13 pm

What comes after Generation Z? We've run out of letters. Maybe the world will end? :lol:

EA CO AS

Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:39 am

seb146 wrote:
They may look lazy but what are their choices? They see money in tech, so many of them are trying hard to do something in tech or tech adjacent. .

Texting, taking selfies, or posting on social media while they're supposed to be working is not what "doing something in tech or tech-adjacent" means. ;)
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Tugger

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:16 am

EA CO AS wrote:
seb146 wrote:
They may look lazy but what are their choices? They see money in tech, so many of them are trying hard to do something in tech or tech adjacent. .

Texting, taking selfies, or posting on social media while they're supposed to be working is not what "doing something in tech or tech-adjacent" means. ;)

Yes, but who are the idiots that are investing their 401k's and other retirements in all these high valued tech companies nowadays? Millennial's? Nope. Baby Boomers and... you? Better hope they keep taking selfies and posting on social media.... Its your future and retirement.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

seb146

Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:33 am

LockheedBBD wrote:
What comes after Generation Z? We've run out of letters. Maybe the world will end? :lol:

I recall a Dr. Seuss book "On Beyond Z"

Flaps

Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:55 am

I think we are too quick to criticize an entire generation. I look at the term millennial as derogatory. I hear that and think of clueless, lazy, entitled leftists. While there are certainly a frighteningly large number of those people in the millennial age group they most certainly aren't all that way. I employ a ton of millennial's and believe me the good ones are fantastic. In my observations I really don't see all that much difference between them and other generations as a whole. Perhaps the worst of the millennial's are indeed worse than their counterparts in previous generations but the best of the millennial's tend to be even better than their counterparts in previous generations too. I see it as a wash. The generation as a whole is far from doomed although some segments of it certainly seem to be. Lets not sell the whole generation short for the shortcomings of a segment of that population.

pauldeaver

Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:48 am

seb146 wrote:
LockheedBBD wrote:

I recall a Dr. Seuss book "On Beyond Z"

It's Generation Alpha, as suggested by a generational researcher, Mark McCrindle. Interestingly, he has predicted that this next generation will be "the most formally educated generation ever, the most technology-supplied generation ever, and globally the wealthiest generation ever. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Z

klm672

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:25 am

FlyHappy wrote:
forgive this non-millennial for asking, but why is this an aviation topic?
is my millennial pilot currently angst-ing over his cosmic non-relevance or something?

Yes.

1989worstyear

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:16 am

Pellegrine wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:
198q
I meant Gen Y.

Look at it this way - at least you were born in the REAL '80s and actually have memories of the 90s - which was apparently a good decade in the Western World to be a kid.

I missed it by only a year or two.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...