jetero
Topic Author

Supremely Screwed

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:15 pm

Thanks a bunch Anthony Kennedy ... !

910A

USSC Justice Kennedy announces retirement.

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:16 pm

Oh boy, get ready for a fight. I assume the Republicans will want a far right nominee, despite the numbers the Democrats will pull for someone closer to the center.

Dutchy

Re: Supremely Screwed

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:19 pm

Tuff luck, body.

(not everybody is from the US and understands who this is and what happens)
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

KFLLCFII

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:24 pm

Here's hoping Ruth isn't far behind.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

VTKillarney1

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:26 pm

I wonder if Hillary thinks that she should have visited more battleground states now?

In all seriousness, while this is not a surprise, it is definitely huge in terms of impact.

VTKillarney1

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:36 pm

mbmbos wrote:
Frankly, I'm not sure the United States exists anymore. We're just NAZIs waving a different colored flag.

Holy false equivalence! It also trivializes the horror of the millions of Jews that were slaughtered just for being Jewish, not to mention the millions of innocent citizens that were killed in World War II.

jetero
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:37 pm

You give these people an inch they’ll take 500 miles is all I’m going to say. Trump’ll get another Thomas or Alito, no doubt. Maybe Roberts will moderate.

mbmbos

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm

KFLLCFII wrote:
Here's hoping Ruth isn't far behind.

So...you're in favor of overturning Roe v. Wade? How about revoking gay marriage? Shall we give corporations even more leverage in elections? How about we remove more people from the voter registration records? How about we bust unions so that the minimum wage falls even lower, so the disparity between "middle class" is even greater than the rail barons of our day? How about we separate children from their parents and label their parents criminals and rapists? How about we ban Muslims from our country?

Frankly, I'm not sure the United States exists anymore. We're just NAZIs waving a different colored flag.

Here's hoping you don't get your wish.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

Casobs

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm

This is going to have gigantic repercussions for the next 30 years. The court will be solidly in the right for a long time.

Not to mention RBG is close behind.

jetero
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:39 pm

I’m sure Mitch will agree to delay any hearings until the next Senate is seated in January.

VTKillarney1

Re: USSC Justice Kennedy announces retirement.

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:42 pm

Brick wrote:
Republicans are going to want a nominee that is a scholar of the Constitution and will uphold the rule of law. I guess this seems to be "far right" to Democrats.

I think that both sides genuinely respect the Constitution. The difference boils down to whether or not you believe that it should be interpreted as the author's likely intended or whether you should treat it as a living, breathing document. Both sides have their merit.

Brick

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:43 pm

Republicans are going to want a nominee that is a scholar of the Constitution and will uphold the rule of law. I guess this seems to be "far right" to Democrats.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

Tugger

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:46 pm

This can't all be laid at the feet of one person. He can and could retire whenever he wants and needs to. The battle will be pretty intense and we will see what happens. But the USA is and must be defined by far more than just one person on the Supreme Court.

And no, I don't like what is at risk either and have real concerns.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

VTKillarney1

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:47 pm

ER757 wrote:
All the Bernie-bots who stayed home in the general election in those swing states that Trump carried because they were butt-hurt can just go look in the mirror if they are upset about the makeup of the SCOTUS these days. They unwittingly set the tone of the court for the next generation - the repercussions will last far longer than the current presidential administration.

You know, I've yet to meet a Bernie supporter who stayed home. Is there any actual evidence that this swung the election? I hear the claim a lot, which is why I was hoping to see some actual evidence in support of it.

That said, if some did stay home, doesn't Hillary bear some responsibility since she was complicit with the DNC rigging the nomination process? That would not have motivated me to vote for her if I was a Bernie supporter.

ER757

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:49 pm

All the Bernie-bots who stayed home in the general election in those swing states that Trump carried because they were butt-hurt can just go look in the mirror if they are upset about the makeup of the SCOTUS these days. They unwittingly set the tone of the court for the next generation - the repercussions will last far longer than the current presidential administration.

Casobs

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:54 pm

ER757 wrote:

All the name calling, finger wagging and "there's no way" crowd never learn.

Turns out calling people idiots and Nazis makes them come to the polls.

jetero
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:56 pm

Casobs wrote:
ER757 wrote:

All the name calling, finger wagging and "there's no way" crowd never learn.

Turns out calling people idiots and Nazis makes them come to the polls.

That’s very moderate of you

jetero
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:57 pm

Took him a week but he realized he could sign in on separate devices to keep the ruse up :thumbsup:

#WINNING

tommy1808

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:59 pm

VTKillarney1 wrote:
mbmbos wrote:

Holy false equivalence! It also trivializes the horror of the millions of Jews that were slaughtered just for being Jewish, not to mention the millions of innocent citizens that were killed in World War II.

Because there was no time passing between the beginning of flag waving and all of the horrors you've listed?

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

910A

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:03 pm

VTKillarney1 wrote:
Brick wrote:

I think that both sides genuinely respect the Constitution. The difference boils down to whether or not you believe that it should be interpreted as the author's likely intended or whether you should treat it as a living, breathing document. Both sides have their merit.

I agree with that. I see as a problem with the "author's likely intended" that so much as changed in the 240 years since the Constitution was approved, there are issues today, that there isn't a direct answer found in the document.

OA412

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:05 pm

Thank god we saved this country from those blasted emails...
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

VTKillarney1

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:07 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
VTKillarney1 wrote:
mbmbos wrote:

Because there was no time passing between the beginning of flag waving and all of the horrors you've listed?

Best regards
Thomas

Because there was time and ACTIONS that took place. Actions that have not remotely happened here, especially with a President who has always completely and unequivocally subjugated himself to restrictions placed upon him by the courts.

If flag waiving was the only criteria, then pretty much the entire planet would be comprised of Nazis - which is obviously not the case. "There is a Nazi under every rock," is not going to work in November,.

jetero
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:14 pm

VTKillarney1 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
VTKillarney1 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Because there was time and ACTIONS that took place. Actions that have not remotely happened here, especially with a President who has always completely and unequivocally subjugated himself to restrictions placed upon him by the courts.

If flag waiving was the only criteria, then pretty much the entire planet would be comprised of Nazis - which is obviously not the case. "There is a Nazi under every rock," is not going to work in November,.

Oh boy

His MO is becoming clearer by the day

VTKillarney1

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:14 pm

jetero wrote:

Oh boy

His MO is becoming clearer by the day

Are you suggesting that Trump has done anything other than abide fully with court restrictions that have been placed upon him - even from low level judges appointed from Obama? Because that is some SERIOUS evidence that Trump if far from acting like a Nazi.

If you have some actual evidence that I am wrong, now would be the time...

VTKillarney1

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:15 pm

bgm wrote:
How utterly depressing. The US is edging closer and closer to a fascist state.

How so?

VTKillarney1

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:17 pm

A little dose of reality. The absolute hysteria from the left and the unrelenting personal attacks against Trump are going to result in Trump nominating yet another much more conservative judge than he probably would have been inclined to nominate. Trump wasn't extremely conservative prior to entering the presidential race. Actions have consequences, and the left's actions are definitely going to result in a more conservative court.

bgm

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:21 pm

How utterly depressing. The US is edging closer and closer to a fascist state.
OK boomer.

VTKillarney1

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:21 pm

I'll just leave this right here:
https://www.cnbc.com/video/3000561939

jetero
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:24 pm

Don’t forget to get a word in for Casobs, VTK

VTKillarney1

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:00 pm

Hillary Clinton must be coming out of her back brace right about now.

MikeDrop

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:05 pm

jetero wrote:

To quote president Obama - "Elections have consequences"

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/ ... g-that-now

Its a great day for America

Mike Drop

jetero
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:07 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
jetero wrote:

Mike Drop

And a bad day for apostrophes.

(Who knew elections had consequences? Thanks for that teaching moment, Mikey D ... I imagine you’re familiar with the letter D from your youth.)

dmg626

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:14 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
jetero wrote:

Mike Drop

Hopefully Ginsburg next then Breyer in Trumps next term!

DIRECTFLT

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:18 pm

Brick wrote:

Jay Sekulow

Mark Levin

David Barton
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

LMP737

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:18 pm

MikeDrop wrote:

Mike Drop

So how is this going to benefit you?
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

LMP737

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:23 pm

Brick wrote:
Republicans are going to want a nominee that is a scholar of the Constitution and will uphold the rule of law.

How so?

MikeDrop

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:24 pm

LMP737 wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:

Mike Drop

What makes you think that I'm happy about it because of some personal benefit?

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:25 pm

Clearly he's only happy because liberals will bitch about it and I doubt he even knew who the guy was or could name most SC justices in the first place. He's happy because he's told to be happy and vindictive.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

Casobs

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:27 pm

jpetekyxmd80 wrote:
Clearly he's only happy because liberals will bitch about it and I doubt he even knew who the guy was or could name most SC justices in the first place. He's happy because he's told to be happy and vindictive.

Just like the other side who hates all things republican. It's a sad state of affairs all around.

What happened to civility? The amazing thing is even though it's contentious it's still peacefully done.

Hopefully we can all move beyond this.

LMP737

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:30 pm

MikeDrop wrote:

It's a legitimate question. I'll add what benefits do you see for the country? In your view. So there you go, how does it benefit you and how does it benefit the country?
Last edited by LMP737 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VTKillarney1

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:33 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
LMP737 wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:

Mike Drop

Definitely a strange question. Failing to look beyond one's self interests is not conducive to a prosperous society.

seb146

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:41 pm

More theological rulings and fewer rulings based on the Constitution. How is this any good for America? The land that goes to war with other countries to fight theocracies?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

VTKillarney1

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:42 pm

seb146 wrote:
More theological rulings and fewer rulings based on the Constitution. How is this any good for America? The land that goes to war with other countries to fight theocracies?

Huh? I'm not following that one. Strict constructionism is the domain of the conservatives. It's the liberals who are more prone to adopt a loose interpretation.

VTKillarney1

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:45 pm

Serious question to the liberals here. What is the end game? While I understand that you may be very disappointed that Trump will be able to nominate a conservative justice, what are you actually proposing? The last time I checked, Trump has the constitutional authority to do so. The Senate has a constitutional role in this process as well.

So even if you are upset, so what? Are you suggesting that we should not follow the path forward as contained in the Constitution? If so, just come out and say it. Or is this really just a matter of being upset and wanting to vent about it?

VTKillarney1

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:53 pm

Casobs wrote:

That and the "stolen seat" thing.

I'm sympathetic on that one.

VTKillarney1

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:53 pm

Casobs wrote:

I'm sympathetic on that one.

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:54 pm

I am unconvinced the 2018 senate races will make a whole lot of difference in composition, but it could,... but how could you not admit that a rush to confirm before the midterms is 100% blatant hypocrisy on their part from the bullshit they pulled 2 years ago and should hold themselves to. How can that be denied?
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

VTKillarney1

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:55 pm

jpetekyxmd80 wrote:
I am unconvinced the 2018 senate races will make a whole lot of difference in composition, but it could,... but how could you not admit that a rush to confirm before the midterms is 100% blatant hypocrisy on their part from the bullshit they pulled 2 years ago and should hold themselves to. How can that be denied?

Of course it's hypocrisy. Welcome to modern day politics. But not delaying the Senate proceedings in more respectful of the Constitution. So while it is hypocritical, it is the right thing to do in terms of the Constitution.

Put another way, it is hypocritical of the Democrats to complain that the proceedings are NOT being delayed.

Casobs

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:55 pm

VTKillarney1 wrote:
Serious question to the liberals here. What is the end game? While I understand that you may be very disappointed that Trump will be able to nominate a conservative justice, what are you actually proposing? The last time I checked, Trump has the constitutional authority to do so. The Senate has a constitutional role in this process as well.

So even if you are upset, so what? Are you suggesting that we should not follow the path forward as contained in the Constitution? If so, just come out and say it. Or is this really just a matter of being upset and wanting to vent about it?

Because it's not their guy making the pick. The Republicans would be equally as annoyed. It's always the end of the world every time this happens.

VTKillarney1

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:05 pm

jpetekyxmd80 wrote:
So you are saying I am hypocritical by saying the republicans should abide by the precedence they attempted to set? That is how those things happened, they just pushed the envelope to a ridiculous level. So you're basically saying the self appointed protectors of the constitution attained a majority by pissing on the constitution?

I was talking generally, not about you specifically.

Here is what I will say: If you advocated that the nomination should not have been delayed for political reasons during the end of the Obama administration, it is hypocritical to argue that the nomination should be delayed for political reasons now.

That said, I have no idea what you have ever advocated.

It may not "feel" fair, but two wrongs don't make a right.
Last edited by VTKillarney1 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.