zckls04

Re: Canada is perfect and never does anything wrong.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:39 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Much of the toxicity out there has been created by your side of the aisle. As far the rest. Well maybe you should read up on Sheldon Adelson. A boy born into a below average income family who didn't share your negative view on this country. I will leave you a quote.

Ah yes, the poor downtrodden boy who borrowed $100,000 from his uncle to start a business at the age of 16. What hardship!
Four Granavox Turbines!

zkojq

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:21 am

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Can't afford much secondary education, can't afford to get sick, can barely afford food and mortgage. Can't live openly for fear of being beaten or murdered. Have to be careful what stickers I put on my car for fear of vandalism and retaliation. What a glorious place to live!

There are other countries. But, that costs money to go there and apply for citizenship and, with the low wages we are paid in the United States and trying not to get sick, I can't really save up to immigrate.

Much of the toxicity out there has been created by your side of the aisle. As far the rest. Well maybe you should read up on Sheldon Adelson. A boy born into a below average income family who didn't share your negative view on this country. I will leave you a quote.

"An entrepreneur is born with the mentality to take risks, though there are several important characteristics: courage, faith in yourself, and above all, even when you fail, to learn from failure and get up and try again."
-Sheldon Adelson, 2013

This is probably going to rock your world but believe it or not there are self made billionaires outside of the USA. Hard to believe, I know.
Most recent aircraft flown: A318 F-GUGQ, A319 F-GRHR, A320ceo D-AIZH, A320neo D-AINE, A330-300 VH-QPD, A350-900 B-LRA, A380-800 D-AIMH, 717 VH-YQW, 737-600 LN-RPA, 737-700 OY-JTY, 737-800 LN-NGA, 767-300 ZK-NCI, 777-300 ZK-OKN, 787-9 VH-ZNA, CS100 HB-JBG

zkojq

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:23 am

zckls04 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Ah yes, the poor downtrodden boy who borrowed $100,000 from his uncle to start a business at the age of 16. What hardship!

People on foodstamps should learn from that guy. If they would only stop sitting around being lazy and take out a 100k loan from the extended family and make something of themselves. Poverty is a choice!
Most recent aircraft flown: A318 F-GUGQ, A319 F-GRHR, A320ceo D-AIZH, A320neo D-AINE, A330-300 VH-QPD, A350-900 B-LRA, A380-800 D-AIMH, 717 VH-YQW, 737-600 LN-RPA, 737-700 OY-JTY, 737-800 LN-NGA, 767-300 ZK-NCI, 777-300 ZK-OKN, 787-9 VH-ZNA, CS100 HB-JBG

einsteinboricua

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:29 am

zkojq wrote:
zckls04 wrote:

People on foodstamps should learn from that guy. If they would only stop sitting around being lazy and take out a 100k loan from the extended family and make something of themselves. Poverty is a choice!

"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

VTKillarney

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:43 pm

seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
I keep challenging you righties to go into any welfare office and simply say "give me welfare, please" and see what happens. You righties seem to think that "our side of the aisle" just hands stuff out with zero oversight or expectation of anything.

I'm not sure if the oversight is zero, but when over ten percent what is paid out in welfare is paid out improperly or due to fraud, I would say that the oversight is not terribly strict.

seb146

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:44 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Can't afford much secondary education, can't afford to get sick, can barely afford food and mortgage. Can't live openly for fear of being beaten or murdered. Have to be careful what stickers I put on my car for fear of vandalism and retaliation. What a glorious place to live!

There are other countries. But, that costs money to go there and apply for citizenship and, with the low wages we are paid in the United States and trying not to get sick, I can't really save up to immigrate.

"An entrepreneur is born with the mentality to take risks, though there are several important characteristics: courage, faith in yourself, and above all, even when you fail, to learn from failure and get up and try again."
-Sheldon Adelson, 2013

Having 40 billion dollars. Not bad for a college drop out huh?

One can continue to blame people that don't agree with you or can go out there and get it. I suggest you stop the propaganda and hate mongering and start working your butt off. You may find it works wonders.

I keep challenging you righties to go into any welfare office and simply say "give me welfare, please" and see what happens. You righties seem to think that "our side of the aisle" just hands stuff out with zero oversight or expectation of anything.

As far as the toxicity created by "our" side of the aisle, go read up on the media consolidation and take overs. Which side, "yours" or "ours" kept pushing political talk under the guise of "news" from the mid to late 1980s onward?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

yvr2018

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:21 pm

I am in British Columbia and here ambulance both air and ground for BC residents covered by MSP is $80 flat fee if transported to hospital. That is the max one will pay.

If not transported the fee is $50.

Now for non- BC residents not covered by MSP the cost is far higher.

$530 flat fee (ground service)
$2,746 per hour (helicopter)
$7 per statute mile (airplane)‎

I am USC married to a Canadian which is why I now live in Canada and have been here for 13 years but I spent 25 years in tye US in California so have experienced both systems.

I have no issues with our healthcare in BC.

I also pay less in taxes overall vs living in the US and while sales tax is higher the GST rebate every 3 months off sets that. And I pay $0 per month for healthcare.

So pay less taxes overall, no monthly healthcare premiums and no co payments to see the doctor.

I have yet to ever be denied medical care here for any reason.

VTKillarney wrote:
2122M wrote:
Its not a data point and its not 100% anecdotal. Would someone in Canada ever think for a moment about ambulance ride costs when there are standing there looking at the bone through their own leg while they risk bleeding out?

First, there is non evidence that she was at risk of bleeding out. That said, of course someone in Canada would think about ambulance ride costs. First, there is a co-pay. Second, if the ride is determined to be medically unnecessary, they have to pay for the ride. In a system with a very taxed budget, bureaucrats are happy to determine that a ride was not necessary. For a cut to the leg, this would have to be a genuine concern.

2122M wrote:
You can dismiss all the scientific evidence you want regarding medical outcomes, but I'm going to assume that the medical journals and the authors that write them know a thing or two more about this issue than you do.

Fantastic! I didn't realize that you could provide some journal citations for me since I was unaware that you had reviewed the medical literture. Please let me know what you have reviewed and I will pull it up on PubMed. I eagerly await your citations.

mham001

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:13 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
LockheedBBD wrote:
on average a software engineer in Canada would get paid around $56k USD /year, whereas it is $99k USD /year in the US.

But how's the cost of living? Taxation? ROI from those taxes? I'd gladly give up about $15k from my yearly salary if it meant I could have affordable healthcare, affordable college, and a progressive government willing to evolve with the times.

A lot of those jobs are going to include health care benefits and 401k opportunities as well.

mham001

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:17 pm

yvr2018 wrote:

I also pay less in taxes overall vs living in the US

Compared to California, I don't doubt that at all.

mham001

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:21 pm

zckls04 wrote:
Unintuitive hater? What a snowflake.

Anyway, here's an example study:

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/bri ... as-health/

"Finally, the study found that the mortality gap between the U.S. and both Finland and Austria is the widest after the first month of life (in the postneonatal period). In fact, the authors suggest that, in terms of understanding the U.S. disadvantage in infant mortality, the postneonatal period is at least equal in importance to health at the time of birth. They conclude that almost all of the U.S.’s underperformance in postneonatal mortality – infant deaths after the first month of life – may be explained by socioeconomic inequality."

And so? There is nothing new there except the admission that the OECD study is FLAWED and the US is unlikely to be last in the developed world. Where it sits, nobody actually seems to know or want to say but thanks for the lame try.

VTKillarney

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:58 pm

I generally think that it's unfair to say to someone, "If you don't like the USA, then why don't you leave?" We all know that leaving your home country is easier said than done for a multitude of reasons.

But if someone is genuinely complaining about Canada being so much better than the United States, I'm somewhat less sympathetic to those people who stay in the United States?

Why? First and foremost, Canada is VERY generous as to who they will let in. As I mentioned earlier, my score is plenty high enough to make me eligible.

Second, the transition to Canada just isn't that abrupt. The culture is extremely similar and the language in a huge part of the country is the same. Ninety percent of Canadians live within 100 miles of the United States border so it's not as if you would likely be that far from the United States if you had to return.

I say this with all sincerity. Life is too short to be miserable. For those of you that really believe that Canada is a northern Utopia, you really owe it to yourself to pursue moving to Canada. Why wouldn't you?

zckls04

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:52 pm

mham001 wrote:
And so? There is nothing new there except the admission that the OECD study is FLAWED and the US is unlikely to be last in the developed world.

The study actually says neither that the OECD study is flawed (OECD just presents the data; it doesn't interpret it), nor that the US is unlikely to be last in the developed world. Those are both things you made up.

thanks for the lame try.

Rad comeback dude!
Four Granavox Turbines!

Casobs

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:45 pm

seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

-Sheldon Adelson, 2013

Having 40 billion dollars. Not bad for a college drop out huh?

One can continue to blame people that don't agree with you or can go out there and get it. I suggest you stop the propaganda and hate mongering and start working your butt off. You may find it works wonders.

As far as the toxicity created by "our" side of the aisle, go read up on the media consolidation and take overs. Which side, "yours" or "ours" kept pushing political talk under the guise of "news" from the mid to late 1980s onward?

More nonsense with no facts at all.

You are the worst troll out there.

seb146

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:15 pm

mham001 wrote:
zckls04 wrote:
Unintuitive hater? What a snowflake.

Anyway, here's an example study:

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/bri ... as-health/

"Finally, the study found that the mortality gap between the U.S. and both Finland and Austria is the widest after the first month of life (in the postneonatal period). In fact, the authors suggest that, in terms of understanding the U.S. disadvantage in infant mortality, the postneonatal period is at least equal in importance to health at the time of birth. They conclude that almost all of the U.S.’s underperformance in postneonatal mortality – infant deaths after the first month of life – may be explained by socioeconomic inequality."

And so? There is nothing new there except the admission that the OECD study is FLAWED and the US is unlikely to be last in the developed world. Where it sits, nobody actually seems to know or want to say but thanks for the lame try.

Look at it this way:

The United States is supposed to be the most prosperous, greatest, and healthiest nation on Earth, yet, children are dying at a higher rate than other developed countries in Europe. Why would that be? ZCKLS gave a pretty good hint in the last line of the quote from the article.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

einsteinboricua

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:28 am

mham001 wrote:
A lot of those jobs are going to include health care benefits and 401k opportunities as well.

Not all jobs are made equal.

I had the opportunity to join another defense contractor company and one of the things that made me hesitate was their health care benefit: the lowest cost plan is a HDHP that costs $60/paycheck and has a high deductible (over $2500). The company does not contribute money to an HSA and contributions could only be made on an after-tax basis (even though the HSA is meant to have pre-tax savings).

My company, on the other hand, has a HDHP that costs me nothing (literally nothing...the company pays for it), has a fair deductible ($1400), the company contributes almost half of it to an HSA, AND allows me to make pre-tax contributions to my HSA.

This year was the first time I breached through the deductible. Now the plan pays for 90% of the total cost. Had I been with the other company, I probably would have also reached the deductible but after all is said and done $1400 is WAY better than $2500.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

luckyone

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:49 am

zckls04 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
2122M wrote:

Yes, I'm sure that's why infant mortality is the worst in the Western world as well. All those obese, lazy six-month-old babies.

There is another more radical possibility- for-profit healthcare is completely shit.

He’s not incorrect. Many people in this country don’t do themselves many favors by eating large quantities of the worst quality food—some of it is one quick chemical reaction from being plastic, look up “partially hydrogenated soybean oil,” which is in an alarming amount of processed food. One does not find that in large parts of the rest of the world, even those living in total squalor making less than $2/day. We can argue all day about the merits of one health care system versus the other, and many on both sides of the argument will have valid points. But as a physician, the unhealthy, particularly the sedentary American, play a large role in their own health.

tommy1808

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:26 am

luckyone wrote:
zckls04 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

Yes, I'm sure that's why infant mortality is the worst in the Western world as well. All those obese, lazy six-month-old babies.

There is another more radical possibility- for-profit healthcare is completely shit.

He’s not incorrect. Many people in this country don’t do themselves many favors by eating large quantities of the worst quality food—some of it is one quick chemical reaction from being plastic, look up “partially hydrogenated soybean oil,” which is in an alarming amount of processed food. One does not find that in large parts of the rest of the world.

Isn´t hat illegal in the US by now? https://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/16/heal ... trans-fat/ ?

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

zckls04

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:51 pm

luckyone wrote:
We can argue all day about the merits of one health care system versus the other, and many on both sides of the argument will have valid points. But as a physician, the unhealthy, particularly the sedentary American, play a large role in their own health.

Do the numbers actually back that claim up though? Obesity rates in the US are around 33%. In Canada and the UK it's around 28%. Sure, it's worse in the US, but not exponentially worse. And yet both those countries have half the healthcare costs per capita, and still have better outcomes.

Lifestyle is a factor in the overall health of a population, it's true. However it can't be used to completely explain away the flaws of a for-profit healthcare system, in my opinion anyway.
Four Granavox Turbines!

B0pp0
Topic Author

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:02 pm

zkojq wrote:
zckls04 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

He also had the advantage of being born into the right religion cum culture, one that instills hard work and shames failure. Perhaps all of those people on food stamps should call a rabbi and convert to Judaism because Christianity and Islam sure aren't helping bust poverty.

Earth would be so much better if the only Abrahamic religion was Judaism. It's like Christianity and Islam were made to keep people away from the good stuff.

Redd

Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:04 am

VTKillarney wrote:

The Prime Minister is a sexual abuser. So no matter what your thoughts are about Trump you aren't coming out better in that department.

Bourne is the 'victim' of this 'sexual assault'
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/06/amer ... index.html

Bourne said, "I would not classify it or qualify it as sexual assault." But she said that Trudeau's alleged actions were "definitely not welcome and definitely inappropriate."

I'm not a fan of Trudeau, but there is no need to streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch the truth. Your president on the other hand certainly falls into that category. Or are pussy grabbers exempted?