Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dcajet
Topic Author

Is this a first? One guy asks another guy to marry him on board an Argentina domestic flight

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:33 pm

A guy asking a girl to marry him on a plane hardly makes the news today, but this may well be the first one between two guys - or at the very least, something we don't hear about often.

On July 2nd, on a LATAM Argentina flight between AEP and SLA, Carlos asked Gabriel to marry him in front of 170 cheering passengers of an A320.

https://tn.com.ar/sociedad/le-pidio-cas ... lta_882491

A great story and fantastic to see how liberal and accepting a society Argentina has become. Equal marriage has been the law of the land there since 2010.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

IslandRob

Re: Is this a first? One guy asks another guy to marry him on board an Argentina domestic flight

Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:46 pm

dcajet wrote:
A great story and fantastic to see how liberal and accepting a society Argentina has become. Equal marriage has been the law of the land there since 2010.

Indeed, a great story. Nice reaction from the crowd too. Thanks. -ir
If you wrote me off, I'd understand it
'Cause I've been on some other planet
So come pick me up, I've landed

matias380ar

Re: Is this a first? One guy asks another guy to marry him on board an Argentina domestic flight

Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:25 am

dcajet wrote:

This is an aviation topic? Is offtopic. I'm argentinian and I live in Argentina and your last phrase is only your personal opinion. This a forum, not a personal blog. Sorry the moderators my offtopic message too.

Salutes.

Matías

F27500

Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:23 am

As a gay man I love hearing a great story like that!

Unfortunately I hate to think of the reaction had that happened here in 'Murica now that all the homophobes, haters and hillbillies have crawled out from under their rocks and feel empowered after this past presidential election.

Airstud

Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:37 am

F27500 wrote:

Unfortunately I hate to think of the reaction had that happened here in 'Murica now that all the homophobes, haters and hillbillies have crawled out from under their rocks and feel empowered after this past presidential election.

The reaction on nine out of ten flights here in America would have been the same.

We already have 1,200 threads dedicated to Trump h8, why bring it here?
Pancakes are delicious.

CitizenJustin

Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:47 am

Beautiful moment. As an aviation nerd, this would be perfect in my mind ❤️

CitizenJustin

Re: Is this a first? One guy asks another guy to marry him on board an Argentina d

Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:55 am

F27500 wrote:

I really think the reaction would have been more or less the same. I was born and raised in a far right environment and even here things have substantially calmed down. Unfortunately, the extremists have the loudest voices, which leads people to think things are much worse than they truly are. Now I am not in any way dismissing the tragic incidents of the past. But overall, at least where I’m from, homosexuality isn’t an automatic death sentence. What scares me are there are men and women in power who want it to be.

OA412

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:20 am

matias380ar wrote:
dcajet wrote:

This is an aviation topic? Is offtopic. I'm argentinian and I live in Argentina and your last phrase is only your personal opinion. This a forum, not a personal blog. Sorry the moderators my offtopic message too.

Salutes.

Matías

This is the non aviation forum where users are permitted to post on topics that are not aviation related.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

stratosphere

Re: Is this a first? One guy asks another guy to marry him on board an Argentina d

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:48 am

CitizenJustin wrote:
F27500 wrote:

I really think the reaction would have been more or less the same. I was born and raised in a far right environment and even here things have substantially calmed down. Unfortunately, the extremists have the loudest voices, which leads people to think things are much worse than they truly are. Now I am not in any way dismissing the tragic incidents of the past. But overall, at least where I’m from, homosexuality isn’t an automatic death sentence. What scares me are there are men and women in power who want it to be.

Well I was a Trump or T rump voter and of course I am KKK and a racist you know because I have to be just cuz we all are painted with that broad brush. But I am a single guy never met that right woman but I really am happy for anyone straight or gay that does meet that right person and I am happy for this guy. You know we are not all homophobes. I am happy for anyone that can find happiness in this dark world. Good for him I wish him a happy life. Life is too short for all this hate.

Derico

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:41 am

matias380ar wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Salutes.

Matías

I'm thinking this was posted in Gen Av when Matias commented.

It indeed may be his personal opinion or impressions, but I'm glad to read one like this for a change. Considering what is usually peddled here in non aviation about Argentine society. It always boils down to three things: we are Nazi huggers, love going on Indian ear hunts on weekends, and Las Falklands. Usually the ones pointing fingers at us for those three stains, are people from countries that accepted Nazi criminals and scientists with open arms and open wallets if it benefited them (and turned away more than a few Jewish refugees ships, Argentina never did), have some extensive pages of bloody murder and extermination of natives in their own closets, and have gone on wars of aggression themselves. And the best part is they have tried to claim to me they are not being hypocritical.

So it's good to see some acknowledgment that we have been trying to change, from handicap facilities to blind assistance, refugee and immigration policy being so tolerant (maybe too much), women representation, Gay and transgendered, Ausistic living, even animal rights. Though for sure we are not yet at the full vanguard due to society and budget restraints. And as the World Cup sadly proved still too many vulgar, uneducated lowbrows out there.

Now if the Senate could get inspired when the Abortion bill comes up in a few weeks like the Deputies were in that crazy 24 hour marathon session tied 124 to 124 well into 3am in the morning, hopefully the bill will pull through all the way. And I am morally against abortion, but not for criminalizing it.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

seb146

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:56 am

I wish them every happiness.

That being said: I don't get why people insist on putting on a huge show like this. Call me old fashioned, but a marriage proposal should be romantic and intimate. New Years Eve or a waterfront picnic or something like that.

Good for them. Enjoy your life together. Don't forget to talk to each other. I hope their holiday was as good as the flight!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

flydude380

Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:35 am

I hate attention seekers advertising their love for each other in public - including on flights!

Dutchy

Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:07 am

That is beautiful and nice.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Berevoff

Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:25 pm

I'd be mortified if my spouse did this in such a public way.

VTKillarney

Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:56 pm

flydude380 wrote:
I hate attention seekers advertising their love for each other in public - including on flights!

Agreed. I’ve never understood these types of proposals. It places showmanship over intimacy.

As for America, the reaction would likely have been no different. We are an extremely open and tolerant society.

CitizenJustin

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:39 pm

stratosphere wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
F27500 wrote:

Well I was a Trump or T rump voter and of course I am KKK and a racist you know because I have to be just cuz we all are painted with that broad brush. But I am a single guy never met that right woman but I really am happy for anyone straight or gay that does meet that right person and I am happy for this guy. You know we are not all homophobes. I am happy for anyone that can find happiness in this dark world. Good for him I wish him a happy life. Life is too short for all this hate.

Oh I know not all heterosexual men are homophobic and in fact the majority of my friends are heterosexual.

dcajet
Topic Author

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:54 pm

matias380ar wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Salutes.

Matías

Welcome to your first post on A.net. Does it bother you so much that we have reached a point where pretty much everyone is entitled to express their love for a fellow human being - regardless of gender without fears of any kinds? Considering where Argentina was during the last military dictatorship (1976-1983) I'll say this is progress and we should be extremely proud of it. And yes, that is my opinion. Deal with it, or you can always choose to ignore it.

seb146

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:59 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
flydude380 wrote:

Agreed. I’ve never understood these types of proposals. It places showmanship over intimacy.

As for America, the reaction would likely have been no different. We are an extremely open and tolerant society.

http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilo ... story.html
https://nypost.com/2016/12/06/friend-sa ... being-gay/
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bullying-l ... -epidemic/

So tolerant....

VTKillarney

Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:11 pm

seb146 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
flydude380 wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilo ... story.html
https://nypost.com/2016/12/06/friend-sa ... being-gay/
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bullying-l ... -epidemic/

So tolerant....

Anecdotes are not evidence.

F27500

Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:32 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
flydude380 wrote:

WRONG. Picture this having been done on a Southwest flight half full of Texan rednecks on a flight between Dallas and Oklahoma City -- there would NOT have been any cheering ….. .

dcajet
Topic Author

Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:50 pm

F27500 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
flydude380 wrote:

WRONG. Picture this having been done on a Southwest flight half full of Texan rednecks on a flight between Dallas and Oklahoma City -- there would NOT have been any cheering ….. .

When it comes to social mores, America is many countries stitched into one. If this had happened on a intra CA flight, or a West Coast-East Coast non stop, the reaction would have been the same, pretty much. Now, in other parts of the US, I am not so sure.

Berevoff

Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:11 pm

dcajet wrote:
F27500 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

When it comes to social mores, America is many countries stitched into one. If this had happened on a intra CA flight, or a West Coast-East Coast non stop, the reaction would have been the same, pretty much. Now, in other parts of the US, I am not so sure.

You would have this same reaction on any flight in the USA. Contrary to what most people think the vast majority of Americans are tolerant and pleasant. Everyone needs to stop looking to be victimized. For every bad story there's 100 good ones.

This is a positive story.

Airstud

Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:19 pm

F27500 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
flydude380 wrote:

Well you just said yourself the flight was full of Texan rednecks

I.e., not gay fiancés.
Pancakes are delicious.

AtomicGarden

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:35 am

seb146 wrote:

That being said: I don't get why people insist on putting on a huge show like this. Call me old fashioned, but a marriage proposal should be romantic and intimate. New Years Eve or a waterfront picnic or something like that.

Good for them. Enjoy your life together. Don't forget to talk to each other. I hope their holiday was as good as the flight!

I think it should be more like planning vacations. "Hey honey, should we get married?" "yeah, why not?".

I actually know a lovely couple that did it this way, kinda. Even better, she proposed to him (more like pitched the idea).
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

seb146

Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:11 am

AtomicGarden wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I think it should be more like planning vacations. "Hey honey, should we get married?" "yeah, why not?".

I actually know a lovely couple that did it this way, kinda. Even better, she proposed to him (more like pitched the idea).

Everyone is different. I don't get making such a public display, but if that is what they want, do it.

eielef

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:29 am

I liked the story. It is not clear if the couple is from SLA or from BUE, as people in SLA is more conservative than those from BUE. Holding hands or kissing in a bar in SLA is a no-go, while in BUE is the thing to do right now... I'm also from NW Argentina, conservative places, losing pretty fast those old traditions and getting into new ones. Some of them, I approve. Some others, I don't. But again, is a personal point of view.
Even if they needed such a large audience, if it made them happy, why not? I doubt passengers got angry or disturbed with them...

I mean, in an AR flight, international one, in an A330, the captain did on PA a 90 seconds announcement thanking passengers to choose AR than other airlines (FO he meant) where they prefer profit than safety. I wouldn't like to be on a flight where the captain speaks of safety (which is a concern to everyone), saying that the other airline (which I could have a connection with) is not safe... Let people be as happy as they can...

slider

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:02 pm

F27500 wrote:

Yup= here we go with the bigotry projection.

Can't even enjoy a legitimately wonderful moment because of your derangement. Live and let live. Relax.

VTKillarney

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:14 pm

As the saying goes:
I came out as gay to my conservative friend and nobody shunned me.
I came out as conservative to my gay friends and now they won’t speak to me.

dcajet
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:08 am

VTKillarney wrote:
As the saying goes:

Well, if the conservative movement hadn't spent the last 50 years being blind to the gay movement, ignoring it at best, fighting it at worst, a different one altogether would be the reaction of the gay & lesbian community.

VTKillarney

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:15 am

The religious right has been losing power for quite some time.

seb146

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:30 am

eielef wrote:
I liked the story. It is not clear if the couple is from SLA or from BUE, as people in SLA is more conservative than those from BUE. Holding hands or kissing in a bar in SLA is a no-go, while in BUE is the thing to do right now... I'm also from NW Argentina, conservative places, losing pretty fast those old traditions and getting into new ones. Some of them, I approve. Some others, I don't. But again, is a personal point of view.
Even if they needed such a large audience, if it made them happy, why not? I doubt passengers got angry or disturbed with them...

Sounds a lot like the United States. There are some cities where two men could hold hands and no one would bat an eye but other areas where they would be beaten for it. The biggest difference, as you point out, is change. Many rural areas, which also vote conservative, resist such change. It sounds as though Argentina is quicker to accept change.

RetroRoo

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:18 am

How lovely for them.

If, however, my boyfriend ever tried to pull a stunt like this I would bolt for the nearest emergency exit.
A public proposal places an extreme amount of pressure on the proposee. I don't think it's fair.

F27500

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:27 pm

slider wrote:
F27500 wrote:

Yup= here we go with the bigotry projection.

Can't even enjoy a legitimately wonderful moment because of your derangement. Live and let live. Relax.

OMG that was SO sassy and b*tchy! You're good at this, aren't ya? <wink>

2122M

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:33 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
As the saying goes:

Gays have never persecuted conservatives.....

VTKillarney

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:55 pm

2122M wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
As the saying goes:

You missed the point. They most definitely shun them.

alfa164

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:05 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
2122M wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
As the saying goes:

You missed the point. They most definitely shun them.

That is the second most-stupid comment you have made here. Apparently you have never heard of the Log Cabin Republicans.

VTKillarney wrote:
Anecdotes are not evidence.

And that is the most stupid comment. Apparently you know nothing about the Laws of Evidence; anecdotes are most often used as evidence.Any factual situation is an "anecdote".

You really, really need for school to start again... :roll:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

VTKillarney

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:26 pm

I didn’t think that I needed to spell it out, but here it goes: Anecdotes of the type provided herein are not evidence.

alfa164

Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:38 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
I didn’t think that I needed to spell it out, but here it goes: Anecdotes of the type provided herein are not evidence.

Are you not intelligent enough to understand that those "anecdotes" are the exact evidence to support the poster's statement? You need to get back to junior high now!
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

VTKillarney

Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:53 pm

alfa164 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

Are you not intelligent enough to understand that those "anecdotes" are the exact evidence to support the poster's statement? You need to get back to junior high now!

Wrong. Just wrong.

RetroRoo

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:15 am

VTKillarney wrote:
As the saying goes:

Yeah, come out as gay to a conservative family and get back to me.

:roll:

2122M

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:22 am

VTKillarney wrote:
RetroRoo wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
As the saying goes:

I know a couple of people who have. They had absolutely no problems.

Anecdotes aren’t evidence..... Or so I’ve been told.

VTKillarney

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:22 am

RetroRoo wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
As the saying goes:

Berevoff

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:44 am

RetroRoo wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
As the saying goes:

I know a couple gay folks from very conservative families and they're loved and supported like anyone else.

Sure there are some bad stories but don't pre-judge an entire group of people.

Support for LGBT in the African American community is lower than Whites, Asians, and Latinos and they're overwhelmingly Democrat. Its not cut and dry like you think.

RetroRoo

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:10 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
RetroRoo wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
As the saying goes:

Ah well, that's that problem solved. *dusts off hands*

Honestly, you don't know what you're talking about. The number of families I have seen absolutely torn apart by social conservatism towers over the number of families I've seen torn apart by social liberalism... i.e. none.

Denying there is a problem is a major part of the problem.

VTKillarney

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:28 pm

RetroRoo wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
RetroRoo wrote:

Honestly, you don't know what you're talking about. The number of families I have seen absolutely torn apart by social conservatism towers over the number of families I've seen torn apart by social liberalism... i.e. none.

You are conflating religion with conservatism. And, frankly, most religious people don’t really care anymore. Times have changed.

Berevoff

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:56 pm

RetroRoo wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
RetroRoo wrote:

That's not a political affiliation argument. How do you explain the larger lack of support for the LGBT community in African American and Latino communities who are often very conservative but largely vote Democrat? It has very little to do with politics.

DIRECTFLT

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:12 am

I'm going to guess that the consummation of a gay union aboard a commercial jetliner has already occurred.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

RetroRoo

Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:24 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
RetroRoo wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

You are conflating religion with conservatism. And, frankly, most religious people don’t really care anymore. Times have changed.

Ah... not quite. If you'd been in Australia during the incredibly divisive postal survey on marriage equality last year you heard almost nothing about Jesus and an awful lot about "morality", "virtue signalling" and "protecting parental rights". I wish times had changed completely. The situation is better today than it was in past years, but families are still ripped apart and gay kids are still being kicked out onto the street for being themselves. You're absolutely deluding yourself by turning a blind eye to this incredibly serious problem.