Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

Does "Papa John" Schnatter really deserve this fallout?

Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:04 am

Evidently the real-life Colonel Sanders used the n-word.

It is also reported that John Schnatter was referring to that fact when he "used" the n-word a few days ago on a conference call.

And now it seems every sports entity that ever had a sponsorship deal with Papa John's is severing all ties, universities are taking his name off of facilities he paid for...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/papa-johns ... -comments/

The guy has pointed out the context in which he "used" the word and has said he feels sick about it. I get there would be a few days of reproach saturating the Twitterverse, as there were when Kathy Griffin said hooray-for-human-decapitation, but it seems to me that there is just a mass failure of cognition here; failure to understand that the guy a) wasn't actually calling anyone an n-word, 2) isn't actually, nor remotely, a Klansman.

Why are people so comfortable with such assumptions, that severely steer them away from reality?

Max Q

Re: Does "Papa John" Schnatter really deserve this fallout?

Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:25 am

Yes he does

Colonel Sanders was a different era

He could have made his point without actually saying the N word

The use of that word is unacceptable

He has to go (and count his millions)

Who cares anyway, they make shitty pizza

And sanders wasn’t a colonel

ltbewr

Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:32 am

This is also the same CEO who bashed the protests of Black NFL players during the National Anthem at games saying it hurt sales of product to his company. He already had one foot out the door to his exit from the company, in fact they had stopped using his voice and appearance in ads earlier this year. One cannot say certain things anymore as some will not cover them up for them as used to be done, indeed they will likely publicize it to protect themselves, their customers and just out of personal beliefs that are higher than making money. Compare 'Papa John's' behavior with that of the family that founded and owns Little Ceaser's Pizza with their charity works, especially in the Detroit area and respecting the Black residents there.

I live in Northern NJ so have the options of real pizza made by Italians, not this commercial stuff called pizza. What is really bad from this will be the damage from this dumb comment really hurting sales. For sure he will lose a lot of business from Black persons, affecting 100's of franchised owners and their life's savings and assets being ruined. They may have to change the name of the business. The parent company may just go bankrupt and disappear. All because of the use of one word.

Berevoff

Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:23 pm

I think he's shown over time he lacks the judgement of how a CEO and Chairman should behave.

I totally get what he was trying to accomplish during the famous call but its just dumb behavior. Super tone-deaf. His whole obamacare idiocy didn't help the image. The board has to look after the business before defending some toxic chairman.

At some point a company has to just say enough. These PR scandals just don't have to happen and it seems like this guy is always linked to them.

Revelation

Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:33 pm

The man has been using his dog whistle for years now.

His own stupidity has finally caught up with him.

Who needs his company anyway?

Chic-Fil-A goes down next.

VTKillarney

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:39 pm

Revelation wrote:

Shutting down a secular business because of the owner’s religion. Now what era does that remind me of?

And let’s forget that they offer the best schedule and some of the best wages in the industry. When their employees can no longer spend time with their children on Sundays, you will have really shown them!

einsteinboricua

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:13 pm

While I agree that it was tasteless, this just reminds me of Paula Deen's admission of using the N-word back in her days. John Schnatter has gone on free fall since his whole Obamacare debacle (poor customers will be forced to pay 14 cents so his employees can have decent health coverage...woe is us). I think he hit peak insanity when he blamed falling sales on kneeling NFL players.

But for this, yes, I believe it's going a bit too extreme.

When Paula Deen admitted to using the N-word, she was immediately dumped. I often wondered why would someone be punished for coming clean about using derogatory terms in the past (though the bigger question is why is the N-word derogatory only if uttered by non-Blacks, regardless of the context)?

I like his pizza. I've avoided it since I really want to eat healthy, but if I'm feeling I'm up for pizza, his is always the first option.

einsteinboricua

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:17 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
And let’s forget that they offer the best schedule and some of the best wages in the industry. When their employees can no longer spend time with their children on Sundays, you will have really shown them!

Which serves as evidence that you CAN pay employees more than minimum wage, close for an entire day every week (and holidays), and still be profitable. If they can do it, why not others?

If anything, you can tell that Chick Fil A employees are genuinely eager to serve and I wouldn't be surprised that a higher pay is behind it. Compare that to McDonald's employees who treat you with disdain most of the time.

VTKillarney

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:20 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

Which serves as evidence that you CAN pay employees more than minimum wage, close for an entire day every week (and holidays), and still be profitable. If they can do it, why not others?

If anything, you can tell that Chick Fil A employees are genuinely eager to serve and I wouldn't be surprised that a higher pay is behind it. Compare that to McDonald's employees who treat you with disdain most of the time.

All good points. And yet people want this to end just because of their disdain for the owner’s religion. It’s a crazy world we live in.

seb146

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:51 pm

Maybe someone on the board finally wanted him out? Maybe this is part of a larger power struggle? The guy is a jerk. We already knew that. I just wonder if there is more to this story.

Berevoff

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:57 pm

Revelation wrote:

There's no way Chick-Fil-A is going anywhere.

The food is too good.

Berevoff

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:59 pm

seb146 wrote:
Maybe someone on the board finally wanted him out? Maybe this is part of a larger power struggle? The guy is a jerk. We already knew that. I just wonder if there is more to this story.

The only story here is company valuation. That's the only thing that matters. He's a liability to the bottom line so he's gone.

If they were selling a billion pizzas a week he'd still have a job.

einsteinboricua

Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:52 pm

Berevoff wrote:
He's a liability to the bottom line so he's gone.

He's still not completely gone. He still sits on the board; he just resigned as chairman of the board (after earlier resigning as CEO). And as he is the company's largest shareholder (about 30%), it's quite impossible for him to be "gone".

The company's gonna have to go through a rebranding phase, akin to how Facebook, SeaWorld, Subway, and Wells Fargo have been doing. The problem is: how do you rebrand when your pizza is named after the guy you don't want to associate yourself with anymore?

DocLightning

Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:03 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
Shutting down a secular business because of the owner’s religion. Now what era does that remind me of?

It's not a secular business. They have made that very clear.

If you'd like an example of a secular business with religious Christian owners, look at In-N-Out.

Berevoff

Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:48 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Berevoff wrote:
He's a liability to the bottom line so he's gone.

He's still not completely gone. He still sits on the board; he just resigned as chairman of the board (after earlier resigning as CEO). And as he is the company's largest shareholder (about 30%), it's quite impossible for him to be "gone".

The company's gonna have to go through a rebranding phase, akin to how Facebook, SeaWorld, Subway, and Wells Fargo have been doing. The problem is: how do you rebrand when your pizza is named after the guy you don't want to associate yourself with anymore?

I think he's done as the face of the brand. Short of his ovens being somehow involved in WW2 how much more damage can the guy do?

I think they'll stop advertising for a few weeks and then come back as Papa's Pizza or something. They'll do a recipe reinvention like Dominoes. I think they needed to redo the recipe anyway it was always gross.

VTKillarney

Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:33 pm

DocLightning wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

A) This still doesn’t justify shutting them down.
B) Other then giving their employees Sundays off (the horrors!), what has the business done that gives rise to your claim?

Berevoff

Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:40 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

B) Other then giving their employees Sundays off (the horrors!), what has the business done that gives rise to your claim?

I don't know if they still do but they used to give out veggie tales books and media in their kids meals. Those were openly teaching Christianity.

That and their official mission statement is "To glorify God by being a faithful steward of all that is entrusted to us. To have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A.”"

Atlwarrior

Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:45 pm

Revelation wrote:

Chic Fil A , I don’t think so.

DocLightning

Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:55 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/chick ... -marriage/
"Chick-fil-A is “very much supportive of the family,” according to Dan Cathy, president of the popular fast food chain. That is, “the biblical definition of the family unit,” he said. And that doesn’t include Adam and Steve, suggests Cathy, whose father S. Truett Cathy founded the Atlanta-based company."

The company's official Statement of Corporate Purpose starts with "...to glorify God..." I think that's pretty explicit.

Now, as I said, there are plenty of businesses out there run by Christians. But Chick-fil-a seems to have an identity crisis between being a fast food chain and Christian outreach organization.

Certainly, they've done some good things. They jumped in during the ATL power outage and helped stranded travelers with free meals. The idea of giving employees a day off isn't all that horrible, either. But when a large part of their internal efforts go into trying to block basic civil rights for people who are just minding their own business, that's a problem.

It's also just bad business practice. As I said, In-N-Out is also run by a very religious Christian family. They have Bible verses stamped in subtle places on some of their packaging. And yet, I have no problem ordering a Double-Double Animal-Style (well, leaving aside the health ramifications). This is because they keep their politics out of their business for the most part and because they don't spend money and time trying to hurt other people.

I don't have a specific issue with Christianity, per se. Of course, I think all religion is ridiculous and I don't think Christianity is worse or better than any other. However, when *any* religion is weaponized against another group, then I have a problem.

VTKillarney

Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:58 pm

You still haven’t given an example of why they should be shut down. What have they actually done?

If they are supportive of the family, what have they done that has been unsupportive on non-traditional families? “When did you stop beating your wife” doesn’t cut it.

The only thing I’ve seen is that they released a couple of Vegie Tale items. This is the America we live in? Shut them down over that? Vegie Tales isn’t even overtly Christian.

How about you just don’t eat there if you can’t handle that?

F27500

Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:05 pm

Airstud wrote:

It is also reported that John Schnatter was referring to that fact when he "used" the n-word a few days ago on a conference call.

And now it seems every sports entity that ever had a sponsorship deal with Papa John's is severing all ties, universities are taking his name off of facilities he paid for...

The guy has pointed out the context in which he "used" the word and has said he feels sick about it. I get there would be a few days of reproach saturating the Twitterverse, as there were when Kathy Griffin said hooray-for-human-decapitation, but it seems to me that there is just a mass failure of cognition here; failure to understand that the guy a) wasn't actually calling anyone an n-word, 2) isn't actually, nor remotely, a Klansman.

Why are people so comfortable with such assumptions, that severely steer them away from reality?

Interesting, You defending this racist Repuglican. Hmmmm. After your reply to my post about the gay wedding.

Airstud
Topic Author

Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:21 pm

F27500 wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Interesting, You defending this racist Repuglican. Hmmmm. After your reply to my post about the gay wedding.

I would never defend racism; thanks for wondering. Instead I am pointing out that I'm unconvinced that he is racist, and am alarmed at people concluding that he is, based on the fact that he himself pointed out use of the n-word by someone else. As others in this thread have pointed out, Schnatter is tone-deaf and PR-unsavvy, but I think racism is a serious charge and one that in the national conversation is too often hurled without substantiation.

What on Earth do gay weddings have to do with any of this?

VTKillarney

Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:21 pm

F27500 wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Are we not allowed to debate issues here? Why don’t you refute the argument rather than attacking the poster as a person.

F27500

Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:56 pm

Airstud wrote:
F27500 wrote:
Airstud wrote:

He is (and has been) a staunch Trump supporter … so that ALONE makes him a racist, a homophobe and a mysoginist (among other things). And it makes you that as well if you still support this unstable degenerate "man" as our president … and you did say you voted for him, right ?

I would never defend racism; thanks for wondering. Instead I am pointing out that I'm unconvinced that he is racist, and am alarmed at people concluding that he is, based on the fact that he himself pointed out use of the n-word by someone else. As others in this thread have pointed out, Schnatter is tone-deaf and PR-unsavvy, but I think racism is a serious charge and one that in the national conversation is too often hurled without substantiation.

What on Earth do gay weddings have to do with any of this?

Airstud
Topic Author

Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:02 pm

On multiple threads, I've stated that I did not vote for Trump. What exactly is your research methodology?

Flighty

Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:30 pm

Huh I don’t think it is acceptable for a white person to say the n-word under any circumstances.

But, he was using it under a somewhat understandable premise. He was making a factual cultural statement that can’t really be made without resorting to “n-word.” Should we be unable to discuss history? If so, who will remember it? Should white people be able to discuss history?

Can a white professor pronounce the n-word in context during a lecture about civil rights? Who is really hurt by that? What other words are unacceptable for a professor to say? Is there another one or just that one? What makes it different from things like the Holocaust? Does saying a certain word make you a KKk member? Does it make you into a boogeyman?

These are all question I have knowing that white people must never say the n-word, but without being able to strongly support that rule using logical moral argument.

Berevoff

Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:09 pm

Flighty wrote:
Huh I don’t think it is acceptable for a white person to say the n-word under any circumstances.

But, he was using it under a somewhat understandable premise. He was making a factual cultural statement that can’t really be made without resorting to “n-word.” Should we be unable to discuss history? If so, who will remember it? Should white people be able to discuss history?

Can a white professor pronounce the n-word in context during a lecture about civil rights? Who is really hurt by that? What other words are unacceptable for a professor to say? Is there another one or just that one? What makes it different from things like the Holocaust? Does saying a certain word make you a KKk member? Does it make you into a boogeyman?

These are all question I have knowing that white people must never say the n-word, but without being able to strongly support that rule using logical moral argument.

Its part of the way things are in the world today. Just saying the word: "The N word" is crazy. What are you thinking of when someone says the substitute "The N-Word?" You're thinking of that word. You're saying it in your head. I don't even know if its safe to say here on this site in a historical or academic way without being banned. That's how rediculous its become. We can't have an honest discussion about race without tiptoeing around it because we might upset someone even thought we're all trying to learn and understand. Its bizarre.

NIKV69

Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:51 pm

seb146 wrote:

Papa Johns did seem to be going south before this happened. We can argue did he deserve this? The N word has been made to be the end of any career whether that is fair or not it's the norm now. Fair or not you use it you are going to lose it all. I hope the company survives because their pizza is better than that crap at dominoes.

LMP737

Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:59 pm

I have to hand it to the guy. He became very wealthy selling ,at best, mediocre pizza. Even after this he will still be rather wealthy.

WarRI1

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:02 am

Berevoff wrote:
Revelation wrote:

There's no way Chick-Fil-A is going anywhere.

The food is too good.

Politics and religion aside, I went to one Chik- Fil- A with my Grandson by his recommendation. I was amazed, it was God Awful, sorry, I could not resist. My wife hated it and so did I. To me it was teen age food, cold half cooked fries and greasy chicken. Give me In and Out any day. I also hate Five Guys food.

Aesma

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:09 am

VTKillarney wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Nobody is shutting anyone down, it's a free market, if people stop going because of the actions of the owner, there is nobody to blame, customers are free to go or not go aren't they ?

VTKillarney

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:56 am

Aesma wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Nobody is shutting anyone down, it's a free market, if people stop going because of the actions of the owner, there is nobody to blame, customers are free to go or not go aren't they ?

What did “Chick Fil A is next” mean?

I suppose it could have been referring to ousting the ownership. But again, doing so because of their religious belief is genuine Nazism.

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:24 am

VTKillarney wrote:
Aesma wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

I suppose it could have been referring to ousting the ownership. But again, doing so because of their religious belief is genuine Nazism.

But the folks here who are opposed to Chick Fil A aren't opposed to the mere fact of the Cathy family's Christianity. They're opposed to the company's aggressive anti-gay-marriage efforts.

seb146

Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:16 am

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Papa Johns did seem to be going south before this happened. We can argue did he deserve this? The N word has been made to be the end of any career whether that is fair or not it's the norm now. Fair or not you use it you are going to lose it all. I hope the company survives because their pizza is better than that crap at dominoes.

He will land on his feet.

And, if we are going to debate pizza, I hate national chains and will always go for local, such as Pagliacci's or Pegasus in Seattle or Schmizza in Portland.

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:21 am

seb146 wrote:
And, if we are going to debate pizza

...which we're not; this is a thread about the actual context of John Schnatter's remarks and how measured or disproportionate the reactions have been.

seb146

Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:28 am

Airstud wrote:
seb146 wrote:
And, if we are going to debate pizza

...which we're not; this is a thread about the actual context of John Schnatter's remarks and how measured or disproportionate the reactions have been.

try to lighten the mood....

Anyway, I still think there were enough people in the company think he was a drain and wanted him out. Just a theory, so I am not sticking by that.

VTKillarney

Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:18 am

Airstud wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
Aesma wrote:

But the folks here who are opposed to Chick Fil A aren't opposed to the mere fact of the Cathy family's Christianity. They're opposed to the company's aggressive anti-gay-marriage efforts.

The company has done no such thing.

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:38 am

VTKillarney wrote:
Airstud wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

O?

VTKillarney

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:37 am

Airstud wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
Airstud wrote:

O?

Absolutely.

Revelation

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:58 am

VTKillarney wrote:
You still haven’t given an example of why they should be shut down. What have they actually done?

I guess exaggeration is your strong suite?

Papa John's isn't shut down, right?

Saying Chic-Fil-A goes down next means they too will do something to damage their brand as PJ just did, just wait.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if their executives toss around the N word casually.

Many a person claiming to be Christian has done so, and worse.

VTKillarney wrote:
How about you just don’t eat there if you can’t handle that?

Never have, never will.

They've chosen to politicize their brand and identify with their kind of theology, not me, and I don't want any part of them.

For God so loved the earth, he gave us high calorie oil-sodden fried chicken and potato products?

I think they're missing the Message.

I guess this is why Republicans hate social security, they're not going to live long enough to benefit from it.

Revelation

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:59 am

LMP737 wrote:
I have to hand it to the guy. He became very wealthy selling ,at best, mediocre pizza. Even after this he will still be rather wealthy.

All greed is good, eh?

VTKillarney

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:23 pm

Revelation wrote:

They've chosen to politicize their brand and identify with their kind of theology, not me, and I don't want any part of them.

Actually, that’s not true. It’s the anti-Christians liberals who have politicized Chic Fil A’s brand. The owner’s have always kept their business separate from their political activities.

The liberals have taken a page out of the Nazi playbook.

blueflyer

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:46 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
Actually, that’s not true. It’s the anti-Christians liberals who have politicized Chic Fil A’s brand. The owner’s have always kept their business separate from their political activities.

• Chick-fil-A (not the owners of) donated over $1 million to a foundation controlled by the founders of Chick-fil-A, which foundation redistributes the donation to, among others, groups promoting heterosexual marriages on biblical grounds.
  • Chick-fil-A is “very much supportive of the family,” according to Dan Cathy, president of the popular fast food chain. That is, “the biblical definition of the family unit,” he said.

All of it traced back to source documents here: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/chick ... -marriage/

The owners of the company have the right to insert the company into the political discourse. They should be prepared to accept a certain degree of backlash as a result though. Interestingly enough, I don't think they've once complained about the backlash. They've responded to it, as is their right, but they've never tried to stamp it out, that I know of. Only some of their more... rabid fans.

VTKillarney wrote:

Shall I get you a mirror?

VTKillarney

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:51 pm

They ceased those donations many years ago.

NoTime

Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:42 pm

Does he "deserve" the fallout? No, of course not. Should he have expected it? Absolutely.

Considering today's culture of recreational outrage, he should've known better... and that's why it's probably best for him to step down. Any CEO of such a large company should know better.

But, does it not strike anyone else as odd that we have a word in our world that is forbidden to certain groups, but perfectly fine for others? I mean, in this case, it's a word that is used in some of today's most popular songs, it's used as a term of endearment in certain segments of society, but only people of a certain race are allowed to use it without fallout... so, we're saying some people can't do something because of their race... gee, what does that sound like?

No, I'm not advocating for everyone to start using it, I'm advocating for attaching the same stigma on it no matter who uses it.

Berevoff

Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:11 pm

blueflyer wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

• Chick-fil-A (not the owners of) donated over $1 million to a foundation controlled by the founders of Chick-fil-A, which foundation redistributes the donation to, among others, groups promoting heterosexual marriages on biblical grounds.
  • Chick-fil-A is “very much supportive of the family,” according to Dan Cathy, president of the popular fast food chain. That is, “the biblical definition of the family unit,” he said.

All of it traced back to source documents here: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/chick ... -marriage/

The owners of the company have the right to insert the company into the political discourse. They should be prepared to accept a certain degree of backlash as a result though. Interestingly enough, I don't think they've once complained about the backlash. They've responded to it, as is their right, but they've never tried to stamp it out, that I know of. Only some of their more... rabid fans.

VTKillarney wrote:

Shall I get you a mirror?

People are by and large hypocritical. The newsmedia plays these outrages and fears more than reality.

Which politician does Southwest Airlines give the most money to? Ted Cruz

United Airlines? Republicans at a 3:1 radio.

Delta? Ted Cruz, Jeff Flake and republicans.

A lot of people here work for and love the accepting culture of the airlines they support while they donate money to people who are trying to deny them their right to live as they please. Where's the outrage at Southwest or United? Crickets......

VTKillarney

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:15 pm

Because that would actually inconvenience them. It’s much easier to merely virtue signal.

DIRECTFLT

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:38 pm

Max Q wrote:
Who cares anyway, they make shitty pizza

That's the point, isn't it.

GoodBye Papa J!

Bty, why haven't the thread Nazis already closed down this thread. It went off topic with the Chick Fil A references.

Oh wait, but that was attacking a Christian owned company. :checkmark:

seb146

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:44 am

NoTime wrote:
Does he "deserve" the fallout? No, of course not. Should he have expected it? Absolutely.

Considering today's culture of recreational outrage, he should've known better... and that's why it's probably best for him to step down. Any CEO of such a large company should know better.

But, does it not strike anyone else as odd that we have a word in our world that is forbidden to certain groups, but perfectly fine for others? I mean, in this case, it's a word that is used in some of today's most popular songs, it's used as a term of endearment in certain segments of society, but only people of a certain race are allowed to use it without fallout... so, we're saying some people can't do something because of their race... gee, what does that sound like?

No, I'm not advocating for everyone to start using it, I'm advocating for attaching the same stigma on it no matter who uses it.

There are two different words that sound similar. The one John whatshisname used is now in the category of "Words that can not be said on broadcast TV or basic cable." The other word is either a word used between friends like "brah" or "dude" or it can be used out of frustration. I have a Black friend I know I can use the second word with. Only him. I don't use it often with him because that is not me. It sounds strange coming from a middle aged white guy, anyway. I don't have any use for either word, so I don't use them.

NoTime

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:14 am

seb146 wrote:
NoTime wrote:

There are two different words that sound similar. The one John whatshisname used is now in the category of "Words that can not be said on broadcast TV or basic cable." The other word is either a word used between friends like "brah" or "dude" or it can be used out of frustration. I have a Black friend I know I can use the second word with. Only him. I don't use it often with him because that is not me. It sounds strange coming from a middle aged white guy, anyway. I don't have any use for either word, so I don't use them.

Yeah, agreed, as a (near) middle aged white guy, I can't think of many more words that would make me sound more ridiculous than that one. But, I just don't like the idea of having standards of acceptability based on the race of whoever is speaking at the moment.

But, I doubt Papa John would be in any better shape if he had used the word that is "used between friends" vs. the more vulgar one. But, as I said, he should've known better than to use either one.