seb146
Topic Author

The Correct Transit System

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:17 pm

Is UTA. Tri-Met is a very close second.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

2122M

Re: The Correct Transit System

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:25 pm

I have a lot of love for the London Rail/Underground/Bus system. Very clean and seems to run on time. To fair, I've only had limited exposure to it, but compared to the NYC/NJ network, the London system is a dream.

akiss20

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:57 pm

Oslo has the best transit system by far that I’ve seen
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

BlueberryWheats

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:16 pm

London Underground for sure, but then that's only part of a wider network. It l8nks with National Rail, London Buses, Trams, London Overground etc etc.

Specifically... London Underground Victoria Line is the correct one.

Aeroflot777

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:41 pm

Been to very many parts of the globe, but for me the Moscow Metro is up high on the list. Consistent service with super low intervals between trains (30 seconds during peak hours), very rare disruptions and barely any closures compared to other systems.

af773atmsp

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:33 pm

Out of the transit systems I have the most experience with Oslo is number 1 for me. Easily accessible, and reliable.

Copenhagen is great too, just wish the Metro was already more than just two lines.

In terms of rail transit I like Munich, but besides one bus route I haven’t tried their bus system.

I’ll give Los Angeles an A for effort. Everyone I know seems to assume their transit system would be garbage, but they’ve made great progress.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

Jouhou

Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:15 am

I enjoyed Taipei quite a bit.

PanzerPowner

Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:20 am

Singapore, Greater Tokyo Area with JR East, Subways and Private Railways and Vancouver are my favorites mainly because aside from Planes I am into Trains.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

fr8mech

Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:35 am

The correct transit system is the one that gets you where you want to go in the most efficient manner.

The London Underground is not the correct transit system if I'm in London, KY.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Airstud

Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:23 am

fr8mech wrote:
The correct transit system is the one that gets you where you want to go in the most efficient manner.

When I lived in California my Sprint bill was mailed to me with a return address of London, KY.

Which is incorrect because a) London is in England or Ontario, and 2) towns in Kentucky are called Louisville, Frankfort, or Lexington.
Pancakes are delicious.

fr8mech

Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:33 am

Airstud wrote:
Which is incorrect because a) London is in England or Ontario, and 2) towns in Kentucky are called Louisville, Frankfort, or Lexington.

Don't forget about Covington, Paducah and Bowling Green...and London.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Airstud

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:51 am

fr8mech wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Don't forget about Covington, Paducah and Bowling Green...and London.

Well no, I said Louisville, Frankfort, or Lexington.

However, I will grant Covington, since I have in fact been in the CVG airport.

So that is four towns, that Kentucky has.
Pancakes are delicious.

tommy1808

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:33 am

Jouhou wrote:
I enjoyed Taipei quite a bit.

Excellent system and one of the easiest to get around in as a new user. Taipei's Bus system however took me a really long time to figure out. ...

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Cadet985

Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:27 pm

I know very few people would agree with me, but I really like New York’s Subway. It’s not the most visually appealing, parts of it aren’t maintained as well as they could be, but you can get to almost anywhere in Manhattan that you might need to go.

I can’t really comment on many other cities. I live in Philadelphia, and our public transit SUCKS. I rode the subway in Montreal once, and buses in Israel a few times, so I can’t reallt comment on them.

Marc

BlueberryWheats

Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:47 pm

Honorary mention for the Glasgow Subway, Britain's other tube.

Really simple, it forms a complete circle and your only two choices are the inner line and outer line (depending on whether you wish to go clockwise/anti-clockwise).

Revelation

Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:59 pm

I kinda like the DC Metro, even more considering it managed to rise from the sewer that is DC area politics.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

seb146
Topic Author

Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:56 pm

Airstud wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

When I lived in California my Sprint bill was mailed to me with a return address of London, KY.

I thought it was Loudon KY? I had Sprint for like five minutes and went, faster than lightning, back to Verizon. But, that is for another thread....

Jouhou

Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:46 pm

Cadet985 wrote:
I know very few people would agree with me, but I really like New York’s Subway. It’s not the most visually appealing, parts of it aren’t maintained as well as they could be, but you can get to almost anywhere in Manhattan that you might need to go.

I can’t really comment on many other cities. I live in Philadelphia, and our public transit SUCKS. I rode the subway in Montreal once, and buses in Israel a few times, so I can’t reallt comment on them.

Marc

NYC has by far the most extensive system in the US. It's just that we abandoned our transit systems for far too long and let them decay. If you haven't seen the subway in another country, you might not be aware of how they tend to be light years ahead of us.

Bostrom

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:14 pm

af773atmsp wrote:
Copenhagen is great too, just wish the Metro was already more than just two lines.

They are working on it.

Moose135

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:22 pm

Jouhou wrote:
NYC has by far the most extensive system in the US. It's just that we abandoned our transit systems for far too long and let them decay. If you haven't seen the subway in another country, you might not be aware of how they tend to be light years ahead of us.

The NYC transit system can get almost anywhere in the city at almost any time of the day or night. And more often then not, there's someone playing music or singing in the station or on the train. Where else can you get a train ride and a concert for $2.50?
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

Jouhou

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:42 pm

Moose135 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

The NYC transit system can get almost anywhere in the city at almost any time of the day or night. And more often then not, there's someone playing music or singing in the station or on the train. Where else can you get a train ride and a concert for $2.50?

Boston? ;)

Bongodog1964

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:57 pm

Presently in New York, the state of the Metro makes me appreciate the London Underground so much more than I have previously !!

Flighty

Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:32 am

Cadet985 wrote:

Marc

That's why I struggle with this topic. The most useful networks are also the most decayed.

Ones that impressed me were Tokyo, Beijing, Kiev, NYC, London, Paris. Ones that kind of impressed me were DC, Toronto, Helsinki, Amsterdam, Montreal, Portland

Pi7472000

Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:45 am

Madrid and London are amazing!!! I like portland for the US. I also enjoyed BKK.

BART is my least favorite along with Miami which has barely anything expect for the people move and a train to up to Ft. Lauderdale. SFO really needs to improve BART and lower its price!!

af773atmsp

Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:40 am

I forgot Amsterdam. Seeing their tram system kind of gives me a sense of what we (Minneapolis/St. Paul) had before we obliterated ours and are now slowly picking up the pieces.

compensateme

Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:35 am

af773atmsp wrote:
I’ll give Los Angeles an A for effort. Everyone I know seems to assume their transit system would be garbage, but they’ve made great progress.

NYC, Chicago, Washington D.C., etc. have viable public transportation systems that will get you around efficiently, no matter where you’re at. Los Angeles isn’t even close. Routes are often limited, usually centered around hub areas, as are hours. Most cities in the US extend hours during events, but not here. I would happily take a bus to/from a Lakers game rather than spending an hour hunting for a parking spot... but the service just isn’t viable after hours... won’t stop a few billion more tosses at it..
We don’t care what your next flight is.

af773atmsp

Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:51 am

compensateme wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:

NYC, Chicago, Washington D.C., etc. have viable public transportation systems that will get you around efficiently, no matter where you’re at. Los Angeles isn’t even close. Routes are often limited, usually centered around hub areas, as are hours. Most cities in the US extend hours during events, but not here. I would happily take a bus to/from a Lakers game rather than spending an hour hunting for a parking spot... but the service just isn’t viable after hours... won’t stop a few billion more tosses at it..

Like I said, I'll give them an A for EFFORT. Of course they're not on par with NYC, and I don't know about Chicago and Washington since I've only used their subways. I do agree that service hours are limited, I arrived into LAX at midnight and the Metro system was already shut down for the night so I had to take Uber. However even in Boston I had this problem with an early morning flight leaving at 7:30. Even on a weekday the earliest Green Line train wouldn't have me at BOS on time. And yet in Minneapolis/St. Paul our light rail lines pretty much run 24/7 (very light frequency after midnight but it still runs).

Bostrom

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:38 am

Berlin, they might not do a great job of building airports but BVG provides very nice public transport.

Sorry US friends, but your public transport is not even close to European systems.

FatCat

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:55 am

...is your own car
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

vikkyvik

Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:32 pm

af773atmsp wrote:
However even in Boston I had this problem with an early morning flight leaving at 7:30. Even on a weekday the earliest Green Line train wouldn't have me at BOS on time.

I imagine that's because the Green Line doesn't go to the airport. :biggrin:
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

sturmovik

Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:57 pm

af773atmsp wrote:
compensateme wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:

Like I said, I'll give them an A for EFFORT. Of course they're not on par with NYC, and I don't know about Chicago and Washington since I've only used their subways. I do agree that service hours are limited, I arrived into LAX at midnight and the Metro system was already shut down for the night so I had to take Uber. However even in Boston I had this problem with an early morning flight leaving at 7:30. Even on a weekday the earliest Green Line train wouldn't have me at BOS on time. And yet in Minneapolis/St. Paul our light rail lines pretty much run 24/7 (very light frequency after midnight but it still runs).

Boston is really just a town pretending to be a city, and the T behaves accordingly. :duck:

I do love the T though, NYC transit reminds me of Bombay local trains sometimes.
'What's it doing now?'

seb146
Topic Author

Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:35 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:
Madrid and London are amazing!!! I like portland for the US. I also enjoyed BKK.

BART is my least favorite along with Miami which has barely anything expect for the people move and a train to up to Ft. Lauderdale. SFO really needs to improve BART and lower its price!!

BART is actually reasonably priced if you are not going to SFO or OAK. We found it was cheaper to park in El Cerrito and ride BART to the city than paying the bridge toll and paying for parking. Muni Rail is a bother because it is at the mercy of cars and trucks. Some of the Muni Rail lines are on the street with traffic.

af773atmsp

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:39 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:
However even in Boston I had this problem with an early morning flight leaving at 7:30. Even on a weekday the earliest Green Line train wouldn't have me at BOS on time.

I was waiting for someone to say this.

What I mean is the earliest Green Line train to make a connection with the Silver Line or Blue Line to BOS wasn't early enough to be on time for my morning flight.

Airstud

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:49 pm

af773atmsp wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:

What I mean is the earliest Green Line train to make a connection with the Silver Line or Blue Line to BOS wasn't early enough to be on time for my morning flight.

Which, is what I said basically.
Pancakes are delicious.

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:13 am

The Singapore MRT system isn't half bad, although I'm surprised they don't have a direct connection to Changi, only a feeder train service.

And Google Maps is no help since it tells me I need to take a bus to get into town.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

DIRECTFLT

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:43 am

Revelation wrote:
I kinda like the DC Metro, even more considering it managed to rise from the sewer that is DC area politics.

Yes the DC Metro is my choice. Particularly if we are under a nuclear attack...
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

vikkyvik

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:10 pm

af773atmsp wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:

And I was waiting for this response.

I knew what you meant - that's why I put the smiley in there (which I generally hate doing).

sturmovik wrote:
I do love the T though

Me too, despite its faults. But I grew up in metro BOS, so there you go.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

af773atmsp

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:46 pm

I can't speak for the whole Boston transit system, but the Green Line is ancient and shows it. High-floor cars that are far under capacity for rush hour and Red Sox games, crawling speed under Boston where all the lines meet, old underground stations with no air conditioning, and the screeching of steel wheels on steel rails will make your ears bleed. How about another Big Dig, this time for the Green Line?

Airstud

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:00 am

af773atmsp wrote:
How about another Big Dig?

Say that in Boston sometime.

Publicly.

:tombstone:
Pancakes are delicious.

DL717

Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:37 pm

One which can be built from scratch in the modern era and is not hindered by decades of poor design and therefore one with huge compromises in efficiency. I mean think about it. How many transit systems these days are largely a failure of old design concepts that barely worked in the first place that we’re then expanded in ways that created more problems?

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Revelation wrote:

I don’t know man. I’ve seen some pretty big cracks in the ceiling and they don’t replace the vehicles frequently enough and they do a piss poor job of maintaining the tracks.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Airstud

Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:03 pm

DL717 wrote:
One which can be built from scratch in the modern era and is not hindered by decades of poor design and therefore one with huge compromises in efficiency. I mean think about it. How many transit systems these days are largely a failure of old design concepts that barely worked in the first place that we’re then expanded in ways that created more problems?

Gross.
Pancakes are delicious.

DIRECTFLT

Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:59 am

DL717 wrote:

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Revelation wrote:

I don’t know man. I’ve seen some pretty big cracks in the ceiling and they don’t replace the vehicles frequently enough and they do a piss poor job of maintaining the tracks.

The last time I used the Metro was in the 1990's...
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

DL717

Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:08 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
DL717 wrote:

DIRECTFLT wrote:

The last time I used the Metro was in the 1990's...

I think it’s held together with duct tape and tie down straps now.

One of many stories about the status:

https://www.washingtonian.com/2015/12/0 ... r-outages/
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

BlueberryWheats

Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:39 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Revelation wrote:

If this is in reference to Fallout 3, then it was that game that introduced me to the amazing architecture of the Washington Metro stations.

Aesma

Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:03 am

In London I noticed that tube stops are quite far apart. Compared to Paris, where they're very close to each other (a bit too much in fact). So the Paris metro gets you really close to where you want to go, but maybe not as fast as it could do with less stops.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

BlueberryWheats

Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:23 am

Aesma wrote:
In London I noticed that tube stops are quite far apart. Compared to Paris, where they're very close to each other (a bit too much in fact). So the Paris metro gets you really close to where you want to go, but maybe not as fast as it could do with less stops.

I dunno, in central London I feel that there is a tube station quite near to wherever I want to be, maybe not so much when you move out from the centre. I think the only place that required a bit of a walk recently was from Elephant & Castle station to the Imperial War Museum.
Last edited by BlueberryWheats on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Airstud

Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:26 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:
Aesma wrote:

I dunno, in central London I feel that there is a tube station quite near to wherever I want to be, maybe not so much when you move out from the centre. I think the only place that required a but of a walk recently was from Elephant & Castle station to the Imperial War Museum.

When I visited London, the station closest to our hotel was Queensway on the Central line.

Slightly farther away was Bayswater on the District & Circle lines.

That is all.
Pancakes are delicious.

apodino

Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:44 am

af773atmsp wrote:
I can't speak for the whole Boston transit system, but the Green Line is ancient and shows it. High-floor cars that are far under capacity for rush hour and Red Sox games, crawling speed under Boston where all the lines meet, old underground stations with no air conditioning, and the screeching of steel wheels on steel rails will make your ears bleed. How about another Big Dig, this time for the Green Line?

If another big dig happens in BOS, the North-South rail link to me is a much more needed project than replacing the Green Line. The only real part of the green line that is problematic is the part below the common, specifically near Boylston station and that 90 degree turn approaching it. If this was straightened up a bit (Which would also require a reconstruction of the station) it would help immensely. Once the Green Line north is finished, all the Green Line infastructrure north of Haymarket is pretty much brand new (Save for the one small stretch near Science Park). There really isnt much of an issue with the infastructure west of Arlington either.

The North South rail link though would be far more beneficial. People from the north can commute closer to where the jobs actually are. Amtrak can run trains from Penn Station all the way to Maine. The MBTA would need less cars than today, allowing Keolis more time to actually fix stuff. The benefits are endless. Too bad the cost is high.

As for my favorite transit system (Correct is a subjective term), the Tokyo Metro has been my favorite. Its clean, extremely efficient, and very easy to navigate. I also like the London Underground, though like the MBTA, it also shows it age.