Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aesma
Topic Author

Flip flops aren't shoes

Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:39 pm

I was in CDG the other day and saw several times families, including children aged 4-5-6, all wearing flip-flops, while taking escalators, with luggage, having to walk long distances, take people movers, busses, stairs, etc.

What could go wrong ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

cgnnrw

Re: Flip flops aren't shoes

Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:01 pm

Flip-flops are the most vile form of footwear available to mankind. Ooops JustinT , I mean "peoplekind"-
A330 man.

LockheedBBD

Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:30 pm

Flips flops have been around since the Stone age. What else is new?

Kiwirob

Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:34 pm

Aesma wrote:

What could go wrong ?

Nothing could go wrong that couldn’t go wrong in other kinds of footwear.

I’m a jandals guy, been wearing them since I could walk. Nothing better than jandals on a hot summer day.

flyingclrs727

Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:40 pm

I wear flip flops year round at home due to the mild climate. The ones I have have built in arch supports, because my podiatrist wants me to wear arch supports in all my footwear. I'm not even supposed to go barefoot around the house.

Still I would never wear flip flops at the airport. I normally dress "office casual" clothes to the airport. I'll wear either a polo shirt or buttoned shirt with khakis and comfortable walking shoes. I don't like to wear jeans, because they can be constricting both when sitting in aircraft seats and while walking.

Aesma
Topic Author

Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:57 pm

Flip-flops have a use of course. At home, in your garden, at the pool, at the beach, at the sauna, spa, etc. they're fine. Another kind of thing you wear home are slippers, which aren't shoes either.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Kiwirob

Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:05 pm

Aesma wrote:
Flip-flops have a use of course. At home, in your garden, at the pool, at the beach, at the sauna, spa, etc. they're fine. Another kind of thing you wear home are slippers, which aren't shoes either.

People wear UGGs which are slippers everywhere.

Jouhou

Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:28 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Aesma wrote:

People wear UGGs which are slippers everywhere.

I wear ugg slippers... as slippers at home.
情報

Max Q

Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:49 pm

Living in Florida the only time I put on ‘shoes’ these days is when I go to the gym

Otherwise I’m a flip flop aficionado,
easy on / off and in this heat they’re all you want

Tricky when they get wet though

I have a pair of Tevas that are closing in on 20 years old

The Boeing of flip flops !
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

dtw2hyd

Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:27 pm

Flip flops are TSA certified.
All posts are just opinions.

ltbewr

Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:24 pm

Flip-flops are not shoes, they are for the beach, for around the house, a shower, not for general walking as give minimal protection of the feet. I do understand why they are popular going through airports due to the ease of taking off and putting on at security checkouts and on the plane. If there is an emergency on a plane where have to evacuate, flip flops won't give much protection to your feet in the escape away from the plane on the ground. Plus there are some people with ugly feet that flip-flops show too much of.

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:13 am

Flipflops aren't shoes, but they're footwear so I don't see what's all the fuss is about.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

NIKV69

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:21 am

Standard footwear southern California
I am the Googlizer!!!

TWA772LR

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:55 am

Only on airliners.net can people bitch about flip flops.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

dragon-wings

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:57 am

During the summer time I wear flip flops all the time. But when I go out to the store or where ever I put on socks and shoes.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

seb146

Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:05 am

If people get their flip flops and/or toes ripped off on an escalator or on the metro, that is their own fault. Flip flops are for the pool, public shower, garden, around the house. C'est la vie. What I feel is the most extreme and vile is flip flops with khakis or jeans. If you don't want people seeing your nasty legs, why would people want to see your nasty feet?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

trpmb6

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:27 pm

What I wear in an airport now is 100% due to security. Flip flops because they are easy to slip on and off. I won't wear cargo shorts through security anymore because the body scanners have trouble penetrating cargo pockets and it seemed like every time I wore them I'd get pegged for a secondary screening. So now I wear athletic shorts. Bonus is that's more comfortable on the aircraft anyways.

This is of course assuming a warm climate. If it's winter I am clearly dressed for the weather. But most of my air travel occurs in the summer months anyways. (Flying to MSP this thursday!)

I do wish the days of flying in a suit were still around. But that would be a security nightmare - no thanks.

vikkyvik

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:16 pm

I don't personally wear flip flops, as I've never been able to get used to the feeling that they're about to fall off my feet. But I don't care if others wish to do so.

trpmb6 wrote:
I won't wear cargo shorts through security anymore because the body scanners have trouble penetrating cargo pockets and it seemed like every time I wore them I'd get pegged for a secondary screening

An extra layer of fabric causes trouble for the body scanners?

I've worn cargo shorts hundreds of times, never had an issue.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

casinterest

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:23 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
I don't personally wear flip flops, as I've never been able to get used to the feeling that they're about to fall off my feet. But I don't care if others wish to do so.

trpmb6 wrote:
I won't wear cargo shorts through security anymore because the body scanners have trouble penetrating cargo pockets and it seemed like every time I wore them I'd get pegged for a secondary screening

I get nailed all the time when my khakis have a double lining. Usually shows up around my ankles, but sometimes other sensitive areas.

I stopped wearing shorts on flights though as sometimes the plane cabins are just too cold.

As for flip flops, they aren't shoes, and I can't stand them on me. It is a functional issue. The toe guard hurts my foot. I prefer sandals.
Where ever you go, there you are.

desertjets

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:42 pm

I believe the pedantic thread is over there ---->

That said I don't like flips flops as they are uncomfortable for me. Teva sandals all the way. I wear them all the time, even with socks (!) until my cat tossed his cookie on mine the other week.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

trpmb6

Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:51 pm

casinterest wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:

trpmb6 wrote:

I get nailed all the time when my khakis have a double lining. Usually shows up around my ankles, but sometimes other sensitive areas.

I stopped wearing shorts on flights though as sometimes the plane cabins are just too cold.

As for flip flops, they aren't shoes, and I can't stand them on me. It is a functional issue. The toe guard hurts my foot. I prefer sandals.

You're right about temperatures, which can also cause me to rethink my choice of flip flops on occasion.

As for the body scanner issue. With cargo shorts specifically, the ones with bulky pockets, they get flagged. I'm very diligent about clearing everything out and on at least 5 separate occasions the tech giving me the courtesy reach around admitted that cargo shorts are their biggest headache (or some variation of that opinion).

eastafspot

Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:40 pm

The problem is not flip-flops!
The real issue is people wearing flip-flops with socks... :roll:
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

FatCat

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:41 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Only on airliners.net can people bitch about flip flops.

Not be pedantic, but we don't "bitch", we just express our pedantic opinions.
BTW bare men feet should not be allowed in public places, I do not wear flip flops anywhere apart from the beach or swimming pool. Not even Birkenstock sandals - not with bare feet, only with withe socks to annoy my gf.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

offloaded

Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:01 pm

They aren't legal to drive in here (Portugal) either...
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

FatCat

Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:23 pm

offloaded wrote:
They aren't legal to drive in here (Portugal) either...

Same here, same for bare foot IIRC
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

trpmb6

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:10 pm

I can understand why flip flops / sandals would be illegal to drive in. Quite easy to get stuck to the pedal. But Bare feet? I LOVE driving bare footed. It's the best form of driving. I have so much more control.

offloaded

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:37 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
I can understand why flip flops / sandals would be illegal to drive in. Quite easy to get stuck to the pedal. But Bare feet? I LOVE driving bare footed. It's the best form of driving. I have so much more control.

Again, illegal here. Not sure where you live, but during the summer here, with temps that can hit the 40s Celcius, even if you have decent a/c, bare feet can get sweaty and therefore slippery. Potentially highly dangerous if you need to brake hard.

Sorry to take this thread off to a slight tangent.
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

ChrisKen

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:54 pm

Flip-flops are a type of sandal.
Sandals are a type of shoe.
Ergo Flip-flips ARE shoes.

/end of thread

N14AZ

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:28 pm

eastafspot wrote:

In China and Vietnam they even have a special type of socks to do this...

slider

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:47 pm

Flip-flops are awesome.

But I'd never wear them whilst traveling at all. No way on an airplane, from purely a safety standpoint. Nor shorts for that matter, personally, onboard. But to each their own.

And I love my Keen sandals....perfect for outdoors, light hiking, longer walks, and durable as hell.

Kno

Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:41 pm

I wear flip flops pretty much anytime it's above 65 and I'm not going somewhere formal. They are extremely comfortable. I don't think it's inappropriate as there are many parts of the world where flip flops are the norm for all activities and have historically been so. The idea that they are dangerous is mostly nonsense as long as you wear quality flip flops such as Rainbows or Havianas or Tevas.

I do think one should practice good hygiene of they are going to expose their feet, just like anybody part you are choosing to share publicly, and a lot of men who wear flip flops do not take care of their feet. I am comfortable doing so because I wear quality flip flops, make sure my toe nails are clean and cut, and my feet are clean, just as I would my hands - but I would never share them with the public if I had dirt under my nails or crusty feet or any kind of odors, diseases or unsightly issues. Since I love wearing my flip flops I'm grateful to not have any reason for insecurity such as flat feet or hobbit feet, weirdly shaped toes and nails, etc.

trpmb6

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:21 pm

Kno wrote:
I wear flip flops pretty much anytime it's above 65 and I'm not going somewhere formal. They are extremely comfortable. I don't think it's inappropriate as there are many parts of the world where flip flops are the norm for all activities and have historically been so. The idea that they are dangerous is mostly nonsense as long as you wear quality flip flops such as Rainbows or Havianas or Tevas.

I do think one should practice good hygiene of they are going to expose their feet, just like anybody part you are choosing to share publicly, and a lot of men who wear flip flops do not take care of their feet. I am comfortable doing so because I wear quality flip flops, make sure my toe nails are clean and cut, and my feet are clean, just as I would my hands - but I would never share them with the public if I had dirt under my nails or crusty feet or any kind of odors, diseases or unsightly issues. Since I love wearing my flip flops I'm grateful to not have any reason for insecurity such as flat feet or hobbit feet, weirdly shaped toes and nails, etc.

I'd even argue that wearing flip flops in the summer is what keeps away a lot of those toe nail fungi and nastiness. Let the dogs breathe!

Kno

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:50 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
I'd even argue that wearing flip flops in the summer is what keeps away a lot of those toe nail fungi and nastiness. Let the dogs breathe!

Agreed, unless I'm hiking or doing something particularly athletic I find my feet are less nasty after a day of wearing flip flops vs shoes.

727LOVER

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:47 pm

DELETE....too gross
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

sierrakilo44

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:29 am

I hope no one on this thread who’s complaining about flip flops ever comes to Australia or New Zealand.

We wear them year round, even in winter (it doesn’t get too cold in winter down under) to restaurants, bars, and when flying.

I’d say I’m summer walking around the streets, shopping centres etc a minimum 90% of people are wearing flip flops. Even in winter in some parts I’d say up to 25% are wearing them. Seriously some people just need to chill out.

N14AZ

Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:23 am

In future there will be even robots with flip flops, if Ridley Scott’s vision comes true… ;-)
Source: https://1630revellodrive.wordpress.com/ ... that-poop/

N14AZ wrote:
eastafspot wrote:

amendment: here is an example...

FatCat

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:00 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Seriously some people just need to chill out.

Or some people just need to wear decent shoes.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

cranberrysaus

Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:27 pm

All aboard the Chaco train

BlueberryWheats

Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:53 pm

Flip flops are horrendously impractical. I can't walk more than 5 steps without one of them falling off.

Hell, I'd rather wear a pair of crocs than flip flops!
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

trpmb6

Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:01 pm

Just walked through TSA 10 minutes ago in flip flops. A couple behind us told me I was a genius as they were fighting with their velcro newbalances.

Kent350787

Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:44 am

Kiwirob wrote:

I’m a jandals guy, been wearing them since I could walk. Nothing better than jandals on a hot summer day.

I've never been able to take to flip-flops or jandals. But thongs are perfect for the beach. :P
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

JJJ

Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:19 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
I’d say I’m summer walking around the streets, shopping centres etc a minimum 90% of people are wearing flip flops. Even in winter in some parts I’d say up to 25% are wearing them. Seriously some people just need to chill out.

That's if they're wearing any footwear at all.

I wish people would stop looking at me when I'm doing things barefoot, as if it wasn't the most natural thing. Massive props to Kiwis and Australians for doing footwear the right way.

stratclub

Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:17 am

ChrisKen wrote:
Flip-flops are a type of sandal.
Sandals are a type of shoe.
Ergo Flip-flips ARE shoes.

/end of thread

The sign said "Feed The Bears" Does anyone know who Don T is? Does that mean he is the only person that can feed the bears?
And breathing is a gateway to marijuana and heroin addiction and water is a gateway to alcoholism. Thread resumed.............

....................................................................................................................................................................................

I was never issued an opinion on foot wear. I just can't find a reason for judging someone for what is on their feet.
Last edited by stratclub on Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:47 am, edited 4 times in total.

flipdewaf

Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:27 am

I wear flipflops a lot in the summer, infact pretty much im in safety boots or flip flops mainly because my wife says it is unacceptable to have bare feet while out in the street.

Fred

stratclub

Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:56 am

flipdewaf wrote:
I wear flipflops a lot in the summer, infact pretty much im in safety boots or flip flops mainly because my wife says it is unacceptable to have bare feet while out in the street.

Fred

I hate to break it to you Fred, but your wife is confused. Best course of action? Let her have her emotionally fueled opinion. I'm sure she has other qualities that you find endearing. :bigthumbsup:

trpmb6

Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:51 pm

I would go barefoot if it weren't for the temperature gradients of pavement to tile inside buildings. Not to mention it's nice to have at least some sort of barrier between the foot and filth of the street.

If I'm at home I am barefoot. Not unusual to be barefoot the whole weekend if I dont go anywhere.

Max Q

Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:53 am

ltbewr wrote:
Flip-flops are not shoes, they are for the beach, for around the house, a shower, not for general walking as give minimal protection of the feet. I do understand why they are popular going through airports due to the ease of taking off and putting on at security checkouts and on the plane. If there is an emergency on a plane where have to evacuate, flip flops won't give much protection to your feet in the escape away from the plane on the ground. Plus there are some people with ugly feet that flip-flops show too much of.

When I’m riding in the back I never take my
shoes off until we’re airborne and always have them on before landing for that very reason

Never travel in flip flops, that’s ridiculous
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

usflyer msp

Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:45 am

I loathe flip-flops as does my wife. She has actually fired people for wearing them to the office commenting that "They looked so nice but only from the ankles up"

Aesma
Topic Author

Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:48 pm

I wear skateboard shoes and they're easy enough to remove and put back again at airports. You could wear slip ons, no need to go all the way to naked feet and flip flops. It also means you're walking barefoot at security ?

BTW in France if you get stopped by cops driving with flip-flops you can get a fine for driving with unsuitable footwear...

eastafspot

Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:58 pm

N14AZ wrote:
eastafspot wrote:

Jeez, unbelievable!!
Thanks for the suitable illustration.
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !