Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bhill

Re: What’s something you remember that if you told a younger person they wouldn’t understand?

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:29 pm

...and modem handshaking....
Carpe Pices

crazyplane1234

Re: What’s something you remember that if you told a younger person they wouldn’t understand?

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:09 am

aviationaware wrote:
crazyplane1234 wrote:
aviationaware wrote:
A childhood without a broken bone can't have been a very good childhood.

I'm sorry, what?

You're trying to argue that severe injuries are an improvement on childhood?!

Using your logic, I could say that your childhood was only good if you got measles. :banghead:

Can't believe people are really too thick to get what I mean by that without an explanation

*sigh*

Alright, here we go. A good childhood (by me) is one where you do a lot of fun activities and try many new things, adventures and not just sit at home and play video games. Maybe at 30 I am already too old and you people all sat on your Playstation all day. Who knows.
Anyway, when you go out and have fun as a kid there is a very good likelihood that you will break a bone somewhere along the way. If you didn't that means either you were insanely lucky or you just had a plain old boring childhood without much happening.
As an example, normal kids want to ride their bicycle free-handed somewhere along the way. Any kid that doesn't has my sympathy because it's a sign it has terrible parents that discourage trying new things. When I first tried free-handed cycling when I was little, I fell off and shattered my chin bones. When I tried to dislodge a stuck bowling ball one time I broke a finger because another ball came up and smashed into my hand. When I rode the bike to school during a blizzard I fell and broke my arm. This kind of stuff happens to any kid unless your parents are terribly overprotective.

I would venture to say that at least 99% of all people who have never had a bone fracture are ghastly boring people.

I still don't buy it.

Broken bones are still a negative experience, in the minds of most people.

And you don't seem to be comfortable with the idea that broken bones is something that kids might want to avoid? And what is all this about a "war on boys?" Are you implying that girls can't participate in a tug-o-war?

THS214

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:52 am

crazyplane1234 wrote:
aviationaware wrote:
crazyplane1234 wrote:

I'm sorry, what?

You're trying to argue that severe injuries are an improvement on childhood?!

Using your logic, I could say that your childhood was only good if you got measles. :banghead:

Can't believe people are really too thick to get what I mean by that without an explanation

*sigh*

Alright, here we go. A good childhood (by me) is one where you do a lot of fun activities and try many new things, adventures and not just sit at home and play video games. Maybe at 30 I am already too old and you people all sat on your Playstation all day. Who knows.
Anyway, when you go out and have fun as a kid there is a very good likelihood that you will break a bone somewhere along the way. If you didn't that means either you were insanely lucky or you just had a plain old boring childhood without much happening.
As an example, normal kids want to ride their bicycle free-handed somewhere along the way. Any kid that doesn't has my sympathy because it's a sign it has terrible parents that discourage trying new things. When I first tried free-handed cycling when I was little, I fell off and shattered my chin bones. When I tried to dislodge a stuck bowling ball one time I broke a finger because another ball came up and smashed into my hand. When I rode the bike to school during a blizzard I fell and broke my arm. This kind of stuff happens to any kid unless your parents are terribly overprotective.

I would venture to say that at least 99% of all people who have never had a bone fracture are ghastly boring people.

I still don't buy it.

Broken bones are still a negative experience, in the minds of most people.

And you don't seem to be comfortable with the idea that broken bones is something that kids might want to avoid? And what is all this about a "war on boys?" Are you implying that girls can't participate in a tug-o-war?

I hear you and 100% agree. My childhood did not have video games etc. We were always outside running, playing hockey but we did also a lot of other things. Can't remember bones broken and we did everything that kids dis then. Lucky or whatever, I don't know.

meecrob

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:06 pm

casinterest wrote:

No younger person will ever know the urge to sneak to the projector while in use and turn it upside down on the floor to see if it will work just like a motorcycle. They got rid of them by the time I was tall enough to reach it on top of those trolleys they were always on.

Can anyone confirm/deny that old timey projectors are just motorcycle factory seconds? I mean they left the headlamp and everything!

FTMCPIUS

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:55 pm

Sitting in a booth at a bar or hamburger joint and being able to select your music right there, at a cost of course (remote jukebox)

Revelation
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:58 pm

Some day in the (near?) future: gender specific pronouns.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

casinterest

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:01 pm

Getting access to the cockpit of a passenger plan while in flight as a kid.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Revelation
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:05 pm

casinterest wrote:

Or an airport observation deck, or an arrival and/or departure point without being a traveler.

Or being able to spot planes without being harassed.

Or public web cams (my company was asked to turn theirs off because 'terrorism').

Or lack of police web cams, or police with license plate scanners, or lack of traffic light cameras.

Or paying toll at a toll booth.

casinterest

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:34 pm

Revelation wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Or an airport observation deck, or an arrival and/or departure point without being a traveler.

Or being able to spot planes without being harassed.

Or public web cams (my company was asked to turn theirs off because 'terrorism').

Or lack of police web cams, or police with license plate scanners, or lack of traffic light cameras.

Or paying toll at a toll booth.

Or smoking sections on planes
Where ever you go, there you are.

DL717

Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:01 am

casinterest wrote:

What’s a cockpit? LOL

Over Christmas I watched Close Encouters with my 24 year old nephew who’d never seen it. He couldn’t believe they made that movie without computers. Nice job Spielberg. Still holds up!
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

Revelation
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:24 pm

Cathode Ray Tubes instead of flat screens.

Vacuum tubes / valves.

Channex757

Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:37 am

Outlook Express.
Usenet (not the Dejanews/Google Groups interface, the news servers)

Both huge parts of the Internet experience that are largely forgotten nowadays

KentB27

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:30 am

Revelation wrote:
Some day in the (near?) future: gender specific pronouns.

Man, I hope you're wrong about that.

N14AZ

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:45 am

(1) Posting pictures from myaviation.net here in all forums in the same way you still can post the pictures of a.net‘s database... instead of „photoid“ the code was something like „myid“... The quality of those pictures was sometimes lower but I found some rarities there which I couldn’t find in a.net‘s database.

viewtopic.php?t=1379847

(2) And now the ultimate thing: RR - respected user rating. ;-)

Channex757 wrote:

Good one. I remember using a different search engine than google but I cannot remember the name...

Thunderboltdrgn

Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:38 am

casinterest wrote:

To continue on the image projection road, reversal film

In Sweden we call(ed) them diabilder (dia = latin prefix = through, bilder = images) and diabildsprojektor.

Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

Channex757

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:27 am

N14AZ wrote:
Channex757 wrote:

Good one. I remember using a different search engine than google but I cannot remember the name...

Yahoo was huge, but the daddy of the search engines was AltaVista

Revelation
Topic Author

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:20 pm

Channex757 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
Channex757 wrote:

Yahoo was huge, but the daddy of the search engines was AltaVista

:checkmark:

Yep, I spent the 90s working at DEC, the company that invented AltaVista. I worked on the code running on the AlphaServers it ran on. I used to use a PMIN workstation (12 MHz CPU, 8MB of memory) to run Mosaic to surf the web and the 'tin' newsreader to read misc.transport.air-industry which was the closest thing I could find to a.net back in the 90s.

I think the main lasting impact of that time was that DEC gave a 64 bit Alpha workstation to Linus Torvalds and helped him get Linux running on it in 1995. I think the fact that it happened so early on in the Linux life cycle really enabled all the Linux ports to all the different architectures with different word sizes.

In turn, that is a key reason why the majority of the world's smart phones are running Linux, as are most of the world's embedded systems, IOT devices, etc.

But, yeah, I don't think kids today know anything about what goes on inside their smart phones.

N14AZ wrote:
(2) And now the ultimate thing: RR - respected user rating.

The quoting system from the "old site" has never been surpassed, IMHO. I use a lot of forums and have never run in to something so easy to use. Just mark the text as you read a thread, and when you get to the end, it's all there in the text window, ready for you to edit. I miss it every time I use this site. I wasn't a big fan of the RR, but I think this site could use some simple thumbs up/down system to provide feedback.

MD80Ttail

Wed May 01, 2019 4:06 pm

NDB approaches. Water injection. Flying Nosh. Sir Freddy Laker. No TSA...walk on and board...even buy your ticket onboard after take off. Quad and tri-jets. (More or less give me a pass ykwim by this). Commercial plane crashes in the US. Space Shuttle. Sexy, good looking and trim / fit flight attendants. Huffing O2 before before pushback. Reverse thrust pushbacks.

MD80Ttail

Wed May 01, 2019 4:08 pm

Oh and boys were boys. Girls were girls. Men were men. Women were women. Political correctness didn’t exist and HR was a non factor. A layover was a “lay” over. Ah the good ole days.

MD80Ttail

Wed May 01, 2019 4:10 pm

No STDs that a round of antibiotics couldn't fix. No such thing as HIV or AIDS. Doctors, nurses and dentists never used gloves except for surgery and didn’t need to.

seb146

Wed May 01, 2019 5:54 pm

Five pages deep so I don't know if these have been mentioned:

Overhead projectors
Mimeograph machines (and the smell of worksheets!)
Classified ads
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!