Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VTKillarney
Topic Author

Trump's button pushing

Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:33 pm

While there is plenty to be critical of in regard to Trump, I've always felt that he knows when he has a winning issue that suckers the Democrats into taking an unpopular position. When he thinks that he does, he sinks his teeth hard into it.

An example is the NFL national anthem kneeling. Trump criticized the kneeling, and the liberal response was to say, "You don't like kneeling during the national anthem, well watch us kneel now!" This resonated with their base in Brooklyn, but just solidified Trump's base in the more important middle part of the country.

And now... Trump at his finest.

The White House has announced that they will be hosting a “Salute to the Heroes of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Customs Border Protection” event that will take place on August 20th.

And of course the Democrats will cry from the rooftops about how horrible this is. And middle America will just gravitate more toward Trump.

The Democrats really need to learn how to pick their battles.

2122M

Re: Trump's button pushing

Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:38 pm

Lets see, democrats are polling at +7 on the generic polls right now and have swung +18 on average in senate races this year compared to presidential results last year. Meanwhile the president is polling at -9.

source is realclearpolitics.com

Trump isn't winning anyone over. VTK really needs to learn how to pick his battles.

VTKillarney
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:40 pm

2122M wrote:
Lets see, democrats are polling at +7 on the generic polls right now and have swung +18 on average in senate races this year compared to presidential results last year. Meanwhile the president is polling at -9.

Trump isn't winning anyone over. VTK really needs to learn how to pick his battles.

The polling was quite clear that the public sided with Trump on the kneeling issue. I was discussing this on a micro level and you went macro. Who is to say what the polls would be overall if Trump didn't score some wins with a couple of these issues.

trpmb6

Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:43 pm

2122M wrote:

Trump's current polling tracks pretty well with Obama's polling at the same time in his presidency.

Unfortunately for Trump the 2010 midterms were one of the worst midterms for any president in history. Granted the map was quite unfavorable for Democrats, but this was compounded by the republican base getting fired up about obamacare. The similarities do not escape me. Democrats are fired up. The map is unfavorable for Republicans (in the house - not the senate). Quite likely we'll have another speaker pelosi again, if she can keep everyone in line.

2122M

Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:43 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
2122M wrote:

The polling was quite clear that the public sided with Trump on the kneeling issue. I was discussing this on a micro level and you went macro. Who is to say what the polls would be overall if Trump didn't score some wins with a couple of these issues.

So your argument is that he is doing so well on the micro issues that he's now polling 16 points worse than democrats on a macro level? That's his big success? A 16 point deficit?

VTKillarney
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:44 pm

No. My argument is that the Democrats will be foolish enough to protest this event. And Trump knows it.

MikeDrop

Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:45 pm

2122M wrote:

We will see how this plays out in about 3 months. I predict a replay of the mass triggering at the Javits Center on election night. But OPs basic point is correct - Trump is a master at trolling, perhaps the best ever. He is consistently forcing the left to respond to him rather than creating their own message, and never, ever, backs away from a fight.

One could write a book titled "How Donald Trump lived rent free in the heads of the collective left and changed a nation" or something like it..

Cheers,

Mike Drop

VTKillarney
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:52 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
2122M wrote:

Trump's current polling tracks pretty well with Obama's polling at the same time in his presidency.

Unfortunately for Trump the 2010 midterms were one of the worst midterms for any president in history. Granted the map was quite unfavorable for Democrats, but this was compounded by the republican base getting fired up about obamacare. The similarities do not escape me. Democrats are fired up. The map is unfavorable for Republicans (in the house - not the senate). Quite likely we'll have another speaker pelosi again, if she can keep everyone in line.

If I recall correctly, 60 seats were lost in 2010. It will be interesting to compare 2018 to that.

trpmb6

Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:59 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
If I recall correctly, 60 seats were lost in 2010. It will be interesting to compare 2018 to that.

It won't be anywhere close to that. If Democrats pick up 30 that would be a good win for them. They need 23. The map was extremely favorable to Republicans in 2010. 2006 and 2008 was rough on republicans because Bush was unpopular and thus very little enthusiasm. Then 2008 you had a lot of candidates ride in on Obama's coat tails.

No doubt Trump and his team have already crafted responses to whatever happens that night. If Democrats retake the house they'll point out that this is nowhere close to the number of seats Obama lost in his first midterm. If Republicans hold the house, well that response is rather obvious.

2122M

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:03 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
2122M wrote:

We will see how this plays out in about 3 months. I predict a replay of the mass triggering at the Javits Center on election night. But OPs basic point is correct - Trump is a master at trolling, perhaps the best ever. He is consistently forcing the left to respond to him rather than creating their own message, and never, ever, backs away from a fight.

One could write a book titled "How Donald Trump lived rent free in the heads of the collective left and changed a nation" or something like it..

Cheers,

Mike Drop

What you do is trolling. When you have the power of the presidency, its no longer trolling. Its divisive, its dangerous, it diminishes the US on the world stage, it empowers the kind of people Americans once fought to defeat and its sad.

Trump, by your own admission, has no interest in doing right by all Americans, just looking after his own and triggering the left. It's anti-American, its unpatriotic and you love every second of it.

VTKillarney
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:06 pm

How is holding a Salute to the Heroes event dangerous?

2122M

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:10 pm

VTKillarney wrote:

Last person I saw him salute was a North Korean soldier. If he's planning on bringing a bunch of them over for more salutes, that could be a pretty volatile situation.

trpmb6

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:13 pm

FWIW - Trump knows triggering the left is what fires up his base. Worked well for him on the campaign trail.

VTKillarney
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:16 pm

2122M wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

Last person I saw him salute was a North Korean soldier. If he's planning on bringing a bunch of them over for more salutes, that could be a pretty volatile situation.

So you just made up the "dangerous" claim. Gotcha.

2122M

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:18 pm

Did I say that rally in particular was dangerous? No. Did I say his 'trolling' in general is dangerous. Yes.

Your reading comprehension needs work.

VTKillarney
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:44 pm

2122M wrote:
Did I say that rally in particular was dangerous? No. Did I say his 'trolling' in general is dangerous. Yes.

So his trolling is not dangerous. Except that his trolling is dangerous. Gotcha.

wingman

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:45 pm

Well he just released his latest trigger tweet accusing the press of colluding in defense of freedom. So the man has just skipped all degenerative steps and gone directly to full vegetable or he realley just took a giant shit on the constituion, the founding fathers and a core value of our nation’s basic belief in free speech. It’s an absolutely indefensible statement and a quick glance shows Fox is still working on the spin. Anyway, let’s see which Trump fluffer in here doubles down first on Supreme Sunkist God over country.

Really his best tweet ever, practically interchangeable with “I’m so stupid I sometimes forget which country i be the president over of”.

2122M

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:49 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
2122M wrote:

So his trolling is not dangerous. Except that his trolling is dangerous. Gotcha.

Do you think being intentionally divisive (aka, trolling) is dangerous or not?

EstherLouise

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:35 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
While there is plenty to be critical of in regard to Trump, I've always felt that he knows when he has a winning issue that suckers the Democrats into taking an unpopular position. When he thinks that he does, he sinks his teeth hard into it.

An example is the NFL national anthem kneeling. Trump criticized the kneeling, and the liberal response was to say, "You don't like kneeling during the national anthem, well watch us kneel now!" This resonated with their base in Brooklyn, but just solidified Trump's base in the more important middle part of the country.

The White House has announced that they will be hosting a “Salute to the Heroes of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Customs Border Protection” event that will take place on August 20th.

And of course the Democrats will cry from the rooftops about how horrible this is. And middle America will just gravitate more toward Trump.

The left is very knee-jerk in their reactions and are malignantly attracted to shiny objects.

LMP737

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:38 pm

MikeDrop wrote:

Cheers,

Mike Drop

You're being played for a fool as well, you just don't know it.

In a post on the non-av you said you were a proud dues paying union member. Do you know what HR 785 is? Why don't you look it up and then tell me how as a union member it's good for you. My point being is that you hare being triggered as well. the fact that you are talking about it proves this to be true. There are so many other examples of things that this administration is doing that will have a much more serious affect on your life than football players kneeling.

But if you want to spend your time talking about that instead of more important stuff knock yourself out.

P.S. I could write a book entitled "How guys like Mike Drop will vote to cut their own throats."

LMP737

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:42 pm

VTKillarney wrote:

Read post number twenty. it applies to you as well, maybe not the union part, but the rest does.

LMP737

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:44 pm

EstherLouise wrote:

The left is very knee-jerk in their reactions and are malignantly attracted to shiny objects.

LOL. So are you.

Tugger

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:56 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
And middle America will just gravitate more

It's not "middle America" really, as a moderate you should understand that. The "middle" that is gravitating is maybe "heartland America" i.e. the "middle states" but for people it is the middle right and moderate conservatives that gravitate when things like this pop up. And it is just an emotional movement, these same moderate conservatives then are annoyed by the stupidity Trump displays on other topics.

Tugg

MaverickM11

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:01 pm

Opponents opposed to politician. Another groundbreaking observation from VTK.

I don't think immigration is nearly as important an issue as Trump makes it out to be. He'll have his meaningless circle jerk with ICE, the Dems will oppose it, and we'll be exactly in the same spot as before.

casinterest

Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:45 pm

Trump pushes buttons because he can't lead. He appeals to the worst of his base and thinks it is a grand. The immature and ignorant slop it up like pigs at a trough,

WarRI1

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:15 am

casinterest wrote:
Trump pushes buttons because he can't lead. He appeals to the worst of his base and thinks it is a grand. The immature and ignorant slop it up like pigs at a trough,

Bluntly put, but right on the money. I do not consider myself overly intelligent, but damn I look like a star compared to this man's base. I know when I am being screwed over by the wealthy, the corporations and the congress. How come they do not? It puzzles the shit out of me. I had a good job, made good money, had every opportunity a manufacturing based economy could provide. I ask, what has the Walmart Generation have???? Try living on SS, if it is still there. Try buying a home on minimum wages. Try buying a vehicle on these type of jobs available now. I am speaking of course of the ordinary person, not in the 1% class, or even in the upper 10 %.
Last edited by WarRI1 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

VTKillarney
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:17 am

Why should someone be able to buy a home on minimum wage?

MikeDrop

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:36 am

EstherLouise wrote:

Get this person a cigar!

Mike Drop

WarRI1

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:38 am

MikeDrop wrote:
EstherLouise wrote:

Get this person a cigar!

Mike Drop

Speaking of shiny objects, have you see the Gold Room in the tower in NY.?

MikeDrop

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:45 am

LMP737 wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:

Cheers,

Mike Drop

In a post on the non-av you said you were a proud dues paying union member. Do you know what HR 785 is? Why don't you look it up and then tell me how as a union member it's good for you. My point being is that you hare being triggered as well. the fact that you are talking about it proves this to be true. There are so many other examples of things that this administration is doing that will have a much more serious affect on your life than football players kneeling.

But if you want to spend your time talking about that instead of more important stuff knock yourself out.

P.S. I could write a book entitled "How guys like Mike Drop will vote to cut their own throats."

True, I don't cross picket lines, because I respect hard working people who are trying to make their lives better. And, I've not crossed picket lines when Ive disagreed with the reasoning behind the action.

And true, I've paid a lot of union dues during my time on this planet.

It is also true that I also think that people should not be forced to join a union.

it is also true I also believe that public employees should not be able to unionize.

None of these truths are in conflict.

Whats your point?

Mike Drop

MikeDrop

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:46 am

WarRI1 wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:
EstherLouise wrote:

Get this person a cigar!

Mike Drop

I have to admit, I'd love to use the gold plated facilities...

MikeDrop

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:47 am

casinterest wrote:

This post made me smile.

Mike Drop

WarRI1

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:50 am

MikeDrop wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:

Get this person a cigar!

Mike Drop

I have to admit, I'd love to use the gold plated facilities...

And there hangs a tale as they say. I most certainly would not. Pretentious is the word I would use for such adornments. As my Wife would say, you are most certainly not a pretentious guy. I take that as a compliment. Must be my simple upbringing.

WarRI1

Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:03 am

MikeDrop wrote:
LMP737 wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:

Cheers,

Mike Drop

True, I don't cross picket lines, because I respect hard working people who are trying to make their lives better. And, I've not crossed picket lines when Ive disagreed with the reasoning behind the action.

It is also true that I also think that people should not be forced to join a union.

it is also true I also believe that public employees should not be able to unionize.

Whats your point?

Mike Drop

I must say that I agree with you on some points, I also compliment you on not being a human Scab, the lowest of the low. Some on here may have noticed I am not too fond of people from a certain section of the country, due South is close enough. They are the worst for crossing picket lines and jumping into a strikers job. The lowest of the low. I dealt with them too many times in my career. We just had it happen again during a Nurses strike here two weeks ago. I would be admonished if I really expressed my opinion about these folks on here.

casinterest

Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:13 am

Someone forgot to give Trump his Adderall tonight.

He is all over the place.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump

Why do Trumpers expect a person that watches the Russian backed Fox news and Golfs 99% of the time to actually lead?

Ken777

Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:47 am

VTKillarney wrote:

The Dems are the suckers? Let's look at the NFL issue. The kneeling (historically a reverent position) is in protest of the mass of police shootings of blacks. Like the guy who was selling single cigarettes in a New York City sidewalk. A group of police ganged up on him, gave him a choke hold to the point that he said he couldn't breathe. Cops must have kept that choke hold up because soon he would never breathe again. Then there are the famous cops who shoot unarmed men who do not represent a danger to any person. Like the black guy who was stopped for a taillight - as soon as he stopped his car he started running. Cop followed, but not for long - he simply started shooting the black guy in the back, which saves a lot of running for an out of shape cop.

So we now have both selling single cigs on the street and a broken taillight Capital Offenses? Especially when an out of shape cop is too lazy to' catch the guy running.

Kneeling is something that demonstrates how bad the situation is for blacks. Trump is too much of a racist to care about improving the situation, but then so is the legal system when it comes to delivering justice for these killings of unarmed blacks.

So which side are you on? You're not bothered by the killings? That is not a Demo or GOP issue. Which side are you on?

VTKillarney
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:30 am

A) The polling clearly indicates that Trump picked the right side of the issue.
B) I’m on the side of facts. The kneeling movement has repeatedly lied about the data. It’s very hard for me to back a movement that routinely lies to make its points. It’s also a logical fallacy to appeal to emotion, which is exactly what you are doing.
C) Caring about the plight of African Americans and respecting the national anthem are not mutually exclusive. I choose to do both.

casinterest

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:52 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
B) I’m on the side of facts. The kneeling movement has repeatedly lied about the data. It’s very hard for me to back a movement that routinely lies to make its points. It’s also a logical fallacy to appeal to emotion, which is exactly what you are doing.
C) Caring about the plight of African Americans and respecting the national anthem are not mutually exclusive. I choose to do both.
im

Trump is only on the right side of Fascists that don't believe in what this country stands for. if you believe strongly enough in the frreedoms granted under that flag, then you better believe in people's abilities to protest when there are wrongs committed under that flag.

2122M

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:54 pm

VTKillarney wrote:

How do you figure?

VTKillarney
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:31 pm

2122M wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

How do you figure?

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/ ... hem-630380

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spo ... 3037f45662

2122M

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:39 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
2122M wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

How do you figure?

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/ ... hem-630380

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spo ... 3037f45662

So, by your logic, polls are the deciding factor in what the 'right side on the issue' is.

Then I'm sure you'll concede that Trump is a bad president that democrats are better than republicans. After all, that's what the polls say.

VTKillarney
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:06 pm

False analogy.

2122M

Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:15 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
False analogy.

Care to elaborate? I'd love to watch these logic gymnastics.

To Recap, you claimed that polling proved the Trump was correct in his criticism of athletes kneeling during the anthem. Then you provided two links. One was behind a paywall (Washington Post), and the other you clearly didn't read because it came to the exact opposite conclusion.

Putting aside the fact that its hilarious that you would make a point, then post a link as evidence that comes to the opposing conclusion, lets focus on your main thesis that was:

Polls show people support Trump's view, therefore Trump is on the 'right side of the issue'.

QED

Polls show people support democrats views, there for democrats are on the 'right side of the issues'

Now you go.

LMP737

Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:47 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
LMP737 wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:

Cheers,

Mike Drop

Whats your point?

Mike Drop

My point? You are guilty of the same thing you accuse others of being guilty of.

I'm still waiting for you to answer how things like HR 785 benefit you. I'm guessing you've never heard of incrementalism. That's what exactly is going on right now when it comes to unions. First right to work laws are passed in the states. Then states start banning public sector unions. Then a national right to work law is passed. While this is going on "conservative" justices are appointed to the federal courts. Then one day someone files a suit that labor unions are unconstitutional. And if you don't think that are powerful business interests who would like nothing more for that to happen you are incredibly naive.

But hey, as long as you've got your three g's right?

seb146

Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:44 am

trpmb6 wrote:
FWIW - Trump knows triggering the left is what fires up his base. Worked well for him on the campaign trail.

Unfortunately, that is all he knows how to do. And golf. When presented with actual facts and links as to why he is so bad, the stock response is "but Hillary!"

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/08/russia ... U.facebook

This could be the reason the base is so pro-Russia....

DL717

Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:49 pm

VTKillarney wrote:

They shouldn’t, but some people think they should be able to. Minimum wage has always meant high school pocket money or a cheap apartment and top ramen to get through school so you could get a better job. Not a mansion and steak.

MaverickM11

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:32 pm

VTKillarney wrote:

You demand utmost accuracy and "facts" from the "kneeling movement", and yet when Trump lies, by the minute, you're laser focused on punching out pages and pages of pedantry justifying it. Interesting.

Here's a timely reminder of the time people lost their mind because of Aretha's rendition of the anthem. Gee. What. Could. It. Have. Been.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/when-aret ... cial-abuse

DL717 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

They shouldn’t, but some people think they should be able to. Minimum wage has always meant high school pocket money or a cheap apartment and top ramen to get through school so you could get a better job. Not a mansion and steak.

If someone else pays for your school/food/housing? :confused: "Minimum wage has always meant..." ...nothing, because the purchasing power of it has steadily cratered.

WarRI1

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:26 am

DL717 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

That theory about starter jobs worked until about 40 years ago, when our glorious corporations sent the jobs overseas. It is time to stop the obfuscation and admit, the minimum wage jobs are the most available for the unwashed masses which were imported by who else? Why our minimum wage corporations who just love and adore illegal laborers. Time for a new theory about buying houses on minimum wages when that is all there is available, at least in my low rent neighborhood. Not low taxes, not low housing costs, nor any other cost of living of course, but certainly low wage jobs to support it all. Around here, it takes about 4 minimum wage jobs to consider buying a shack. That is why so many people are doubling up, haven't you guys read about that????

BawliBooch

Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:50 am

IMO, Trump's "button pushing" is with a purpose - keep news cycles busy and divert attention from some other issue.

He has that in common with other morons in power today from Erdogan to Putin to the other guy who shall not be named (i like my morning walks).

DL717

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:56 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

That theory about starter jobs worked until about 40 years ago, when our glorious corporations sent the jobs overseas. It is time to stop the obfuscation and admit, the minimum wage jobs are the most available for the unwashed masses which were imported by who else? Why our minimum wage corporations who just love and adore illegal laborers. Time for a new theory about buying houses on minimum wages when that is all there is available, at least in my low rent neighborhood. Not low taxes, not low housing costs, nor any other cost of living of course, but certainly low wage jobs to support it all. Around here, it takes about 4 minimum wage jobs to consider buying a shack. That is why so many people are doubling up, haven't you guys read about that????

My kids have minimum wage jobs to get them through college. Both understand it’s not a career. So do their coworkers.

People think they deserve a high paying desk job. Jobs like working for the phone company or being a plumber is considered below them or a fall back position. That is the problem.