Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FTMCPIUS
Topic Author

The last time you looked at someone with incredulity

Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:25 pm

For me it was in a building's lobby this morning. It has four elevators (lifts), all of which were in use at the time. Nobody was waiting to go up as I approached so I pressed the up request button which dutifully lit to confirm my request. A few seconds later someone walked up to the already lit (arrow-up) request button and pressed it. I was so tempted to assure him the elevator knew we both were there awaiting its service.

People often press the already-lit lobby button in descending elevators. Apparently, they want to be sure it also lets them off there.

Maddening!

readytotaxi

Re: The last time you looked at someone with incredulity

Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:40 pm

When the Trump last opened his mouth. :rotfl:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Quantos

Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Every single day on my commute to work
Quantos,

I maintain the Airbus A220 (formerly Bombardier C Series) Aircraft Status sheet: https://goo.gl/HZshto
Feel free to comment on the sheet with any improvement suggestions and data update requests! Thanks to Paolo92 for his advice!

BlueberryWheats

Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:00 pm

FTMCPIUS wrote:
For me it was in a building's lobby this morning. It has four elevators (lifts), all of which were in use at the time. Nobody was waiting to go up as I approached so I pressed the up request button which dutifully lit to confirm my request. A few seconds later someone walked up to the already lit (arrow-up) request button and pressed it. I was so tempted to assure him the elevator knew we both were there awaiting its service.

People often press the already-lit lobby button in descending elevators. Apparently, they want to be sure it also lets them off there.

Maddening!

Oh my, this REALLY grinds my gears. I see it all the time. In the hospital where I work people will 99% of the time press both the up and down button as if they think it'll hurry the lift along.

I did have a moment of incredulity not long ago. A very normal looking lady in her 20's entered the lift I was in, looked at the buttons for a while and then asked everyone present "so what do I do? Do I just press the floor number I want?"
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

trpmb6

Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:59 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
I did have a moment of incredulity not long ago. A very normal looking lady in her 20's entered the lift I was in, looked at the buttons for a while and then asked everyone present "so what do I do? Do I just press the floor number I want?"

I'm going to have to clean my keyboard and monitor now.. thanks. :rotfl:

Last time I was in MSP my wife and I + 2 kiddos used a couple elevators (mainly due to all the crap we had with us). One elevator everyone was forced to use because the escalators were down for maintenance and well, nobody wants to carry luggage up two flights. In this elevator we had a lady and a gentleman (separate travelers) come on. I instructed them (because I know how this elevator works and how the terminal is laid out) that they need to get off at the second stop, not the first. Well, they got off at the first. We continued on up to the Second and walked to our gate. They came up shortly behind us, apparently flying out of the same gate. They looked at us confused. I laughed.

There was a second elevator incident on the same trip. This one involved an elevator that you loaded from one side and exited the other. Lady comes on and turns around, notices we already pressed the button for the departures level (we were leaving the underground tram area that you can use to get to parking/rental cars) and stands there. We get to the top and she's waiting for the doors she's facing to open as we exit the "back" door. I turn around and notice she's still waiting there. I managed to block the doors before they closed all the way and said "ma'am, this way." She was quite embarrassed sadly. I tried to make her feel better and say "it happens all the time." Don't really know if that's true. I'm sure it happens more often than you'd think.

bhill

Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:14 pm

Every time I flip to Fox News to see what they are airing compared to MSNBC...or any other main stream media channel...
Carpe Pices

casinterest

Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:21 pm

Not sure it counts as looked, but have you seen the recent post in the cohen thread?

Michael cohen, who please guilty to a FELONY, did not commit a crime.
Where ever you go, there you are.

trpmb6

Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:37 pm

casinterest wrote:
Not sure it counts as looked, but have you seen the recent post in the cohen thread?

Michael cohen, who please guilty to a FELONY, did not commit a crime.

Yeah even I had a "sigh really, he's looking at 3 to 5 years of jail time..."

ER757

Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:49 pm

FTMCPIUS wrote:

Maddening!

Somewhat related are the people who press the "walk" button at a traffic signal repeatedly. I've seen folks pressing it twenty times in rapid fire machine gun fashion like that's going to make the light change sooner.

Aesma

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:14 pm

The Genoa bridge collapse. I have taken this bridge many times, and one or another of my family members are taking it very regularly especially at this period. An uncle of mine did in fact take it the day before the collapse.

Aside from that, also an elevator incident a few days ago, showing US influence here in France. I was at work early checking visio systems in one of the buildings of the campus where I work at. It's quite extensive so I have to hurry. I got into an elevator with a cleaning lady, it went up one floor and stopped, without opening. I'm not claustrophobic so wasn't worried about that, I was worried that I was losing time, but most importantly I started to think that being stuck with that woman in an elevator was not a great position to be in.

Fortunately the elevator fixed itself after a couple minutes.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

trpmb6

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:22 pm

If you don't look like Stanley, you aren't doing it right.

Airstud

Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:48 pm

FTMCPIUS wrote:

Maddening!

The elevator knew nothing.
Pancakes are delicious.

trpmb6

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:05 am

My wife just sent me a video on facebook of a night club in the UK playing the baby shark song. Palm meet face

WarRI1

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:33 am

Everyday when I use the new traffic circles near my home.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Airstud

Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:43 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:

Possibly she had been accustomed to elevators that use destination dispatch.
Pancakes are delicious.

BlueberryWheats

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:52 am

Airstud wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:

Or she wasn't playing with a full deck.

vrbarreto

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:24 am

Airstud wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:

She was/is/will be a time traveller from the future..she was waiting for it to ask her "what level please?"

meecrob

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:42 pm

WarRI1 wrote:

YES! If you are already in the roundabout and I am entering it, I have to yield to you. Stop stopping for me!

casinterest

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:55 pm

When someone with more than 20 items goes to the Express Checkout line
Where ever you go, there you are.

Airstud

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:40 pm

Driving in to work just now, I had to slow down on 4th Street for a jaywalker.

A casually traffic-law-breaking, jaywalker, forcing me to slow from 35 mph to a near total stop, right the hell in the middle of 4th Street is where he was.

He was a cop.

(A 350℔ cop.)
Pancakes are delicious.

WarRI1

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:28 am

meecrob wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

YES! If you are already in the roundabout and I am entering it, I have to yield to you. Stop stopping for me!

Exactly right, the learning curve is endless, this is not rocket science, or is it? :banghead:

MassAppeal

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:26 am

A guy blocked the box a few days ago and I started right in his eyes the whole time as my light was green but he was blocking me and the other lane from going. I didn't break contact once- and he knew it.

How can you drive in New York City and be such an idiot? And it happens every day smh

WarRI1

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:50 am

MassAppeal wrote:
A guy blocked the box a few days ago and I started right in his eyes the whole time as my light was green but he was blocking me and the other lane from going. I didn't break contact once- and he knew it.

How can you drive in New York City and be such an idiot? And it happens every day smh

It seems to be worse every year, more and more selfish Idiots out there.

BlueberryWheats

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:34 am

WarRI1 wrote:
meecrob wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

Exactly right, the learning curve is endless, this is not rocket science, or is it? :banghead:

I find the bemusement of some Americans at the concept of a roundabout chucklesome, they must be really rare over there. We're infested with the things, on my 4 mile drive to work I encounter 5 roundabouts.

Although I was totally bewildered when I had a go driving on an American interstate. The exit slip lane could be on the left OR right of the carriageway!? That surprised me when I expected to exit to the right but it was on the left... 4 lanes away.

Airstud

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:43 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
meecrob wrote:

I find the bemusement of some Americans at the concept of a roundabout chucklesome, they must be really rare over there. We're infested with the things, on my 4 mile drive to work I encounter 5 roundabouts.

Although I was totally bewildered when I had a go driving on an American interstate. The exit slip lane could be on the left OR right of the carriageway!? That surprised me when I expected to exit to the right but it was on the left... 4 lanes away.

O? Since the majority of exit lanes are on the right, signs alerting you to left exits are found well in advance (exiting to US 212 westbound from Minnesota 62 is one such example; of course neither of those are interstates :D )
Last edited by Airstud on Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pancakes are delicious.

BlueberryWheats

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:01 am

Airstud wrote:
O?

Yeah... there probably was a sign to be honest. I was just feeling way out of my comfort zone, I may have missed it. First day let loose on American roads, driving a huge Ford Expedition which made my Ford Fiesta back home feel like a rollerskate.

Also... I find it so hard to drive an automatic! I kept stamping down on the brake while looking for the non-existant clutch pedal. I probably was on the receiving end of incredulous looks.

Kiwirob

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:14 am

I saw Hafþór Björnsson and his micro tiny girlfriend in Copenhagen airport this year. The difference in size between him and everyone else in the airport was incredulous. 206cm tall and 200kg, a monster of a man.

Last edited by Kiwirob on Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueberryWheats

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:16 am

That relationship must require some, uhm... yoga or something on her part.

DLFREEBIRD

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:29 am

when i was a flight attendant, i was amazed at how people struggled with finding their seat assignment. It would literally drive me bonkers. I had to bite my tongue so many
times. But my attitude quickly changed when my own mother became confused on where to sit on a plane.

my mother is extremely intelligent she was valedictorian of her high school then graduated summa cum laude in college so it just floored me when i saw her
struggling to find her seat. I realized that there is a learning curve to everything.

ChrisKen

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:08 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:
The exit slip lane could be on the left OR right of the carriageway!? That surprised me when I expected to exit to the right but it was on the left... 4 lanes away.

Can happen here in the UK too. Obviously the exit slips are normally on the correct left hand side but there are places it's on the right. M8 J18 (Westbound) in central Glasgow for example
https://www.google.com/maps/@55.8696859 ... 312!8i6656
Viewed from proceeding signage. Click through for actual junction on the curve ahead.

Aesma

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:30 am

meecrob wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

I was in Casablanca the other day and there, the one with the loudest klaxon has priority.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

DL717

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:29 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
That relationship must require some, uhm... yoga or something on her part.

Yeah, I think he might actually break her under the wrong circumstances.

For me it happened just yesterday in the express line at the grocery store. Woman two people up is checking out, talking on her phone the entire time. Puts her card in the machine to pay, then stops and starts digging into her purse, still on the phone. She pops up after about two minutes with some cash and says to the clerk. I want to pay with some cash, then put the rest on the card. Clerk says, okay, put your card back in to need to clear it. Starts arguing with the clerk. Finally puts her card back in, clerk clears it. Then she starts digging for a bunch of change, still on the damn phone completely oblivious to the people behind her. Pulls out change, gives to clerk, then asks clerk, do I need to put my card back in? Forgets the effing PIN! Remembers it after three tries. Finally gets the hell out of everyone’s way. Lady was in her late 30s, early 40s at best. How do these people manage to get through life?
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

WarRI1

Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:54 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
meecrob wrote:

Near my home, we have five roundabouts in one small area, it is a small commercial area where many roads meet. Two of the circles are about 200 hundred feet apart. There are 13 exits and entrances in the five circles plus side roads, a busy place for Idiot drivers.

WarRI1

Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:56 am

Aesma wrote:
meecrob wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

I was in Casablanca the other day and there, the one with the loudest klaxon has priority.

It is starting to sound like that here more and more. Only emergency vehicles get any respect during rush hour.

meecrob

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:24 am

Aesma wrote:
meecrob wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

Haha, nice one!

Thankfully it only gets that bad here during the World Cup.

Jouhou

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:39 am

WarRI1 wrote:
meecrob wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

You sure you're from New England? Around here you have to dive into traffic aggressively to get in. Maybe it's Boston and to the North where we become the world's most aggressive drivers.

And my last moment was today, where I was working with a former air force guy and tried striking up a conversation about the recent q400 incident at seatac. That was a mistake. I got to hear all about the QAnon version of what happened.
情報

WarRI1

Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:46 am

Jouhou wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
meecrob wrote:

You sure you're from New England? Around here you have to dive into traffic aggressively to get in. Maybe it's Boston and to the North where we become the world's most aggressive drivers.

And my last moment was today, where I was working with a former air force guy and tried striking up a conversation about the recent q400 incident at seatac. That was a mistake. I got to hear all about the QAnon version of what happened.

I have worked and lived and driven in Boston many times, you guys are Pussy Cats up there. :rotfl: :rotfl:

EstherLouise

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:33 am

You're in a hurry at Walmart and have one item. The lady at the service counter waves you over to quickly check out. Just as you get close, a guy with a partially-used box of Nicorette wants to try to exchange it for two pairs of socks. So much for getting out of there in a couple of minutes.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

vhqpa

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:57 am

Last year I was flying home from Christchurch. Just before the emigration control point there was about five of us at the desk filling out our departure cards. One middle aged woman blurts out "does anyone know how to spell Australia?" At that moment everyone stopped filling out their cards and looked at her. Then someone pointed out that it was written on the cover of her passport.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

Aesma

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:47 pm

Another elevator one today. I'm going towards the elevator in a three floor glass building, I'm on the top floor. It has a large atrium at the center so from the bottom floor you can see all levels, also glass bridges across, and glass elevators.

Two young women are waiting for the elevator, one wearing a short skirt, the other a short dress. The first one, while she saw I was coming, so I wasn't eavesdropping, says to the other :

- "don't stand that close to the glass balustrade"
- "why ?"
- "Michel told me earlier that from below, people could see my knickers !"

Me arriving at the same time, a bit puzzled.