Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kaitak
Topic Author

Damage repair in the post Trump era

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:24 pm

Just imagine it: the current administration has come to an end and you are in the White House. What are your first steps, both for the presidency itself and the United States.

Go ...

My personal priorities:
1. Bring dignity back to the office. Firstly, that means no Twitter or - to the greatest extent possible - everything to issue through the WH Press Office. The language needs to change. The President is not just the head of government, but the head of state as well. The language of the WH and the President needs to reflect that. A clear standard needs to be set - no personal attacks; use positive language, affirm, build, be measured and careful with language and communication.
2. There can't/should not be a close relationship between the Press and the Government, but the current poisonous relationship has got to stop. The use of terms such as "fake news" and the press as "enemy of the people" needs to end.
3. Rebuild international relations; this needs to be proactive. The legacy of the current administration, if it runs its full course, is that many countries, particularly in the EU and ME (apart from Israel, of course), will question whether American involvement in the Middle East generally brings anything positive. It will be up to America to prove that (a) it can and (b) that its foreign policy as far as the ME is concerned is clearly distinguishable from that of Israel. Also, build relationships with the closest allies, particularly those to the northern and southern borders. Apologise to Mexico for the wall nonsense and meet the Mexican President and the Canadian PM asap. Some might well argue that it's beneath the US to apologise for anything, but good relationships with neighbours are more important than pride.
4. Religion and society. Abandon efforts to bring in religious conscious exceptions which have the effect of permitting discrimination, particularly where these may have the effect of people losing employment. Make it perfectly clear; the separation of Church and State is real. The state exists for the good of the people, not for the good of any religion, nor indeed do the people exist for the good of any religion. LGBTQ people have as much right to participate in and benefit from society as anyone else, and to be protected from discrimination.
5. Education: make this the education presidency. Review of syllabi, costs, changes to tax legislation to facilitate return to and payment for education. Expansion of military colleges & academies; American education - at its best - is the best in the world, but there needs to be improvement at every level, from discipline, to teacher conditions/pay/morale, to investment in school equipment & facilities, as well as other issues across the board.
6. Taxation: everybody benefits, not just the wealthiest 1%. Everyone benefits from society, everybody contributes to society. The tax system needs to reflect this.

There are no doubt many other areas - infrastructure, healthcare, nuclear policy, climate change, etc. However, the most important focus will be to bring dignity back to the presidency and the White House. Focusing on this rather than specific policy areas (which I admit I've done here), what would your priorities be?

sccutler

Re: Damage repair in the post Trump era

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:58 am

Agree as to 1 and 2; my biggest complaint about the President is his Tweeting habit. Others disagree, but that's how I see it. NB: on item 2, it is a two-way street, and the press needs to do its part. The working press are allowing themselves (or, perhaps, choosing affirmatively, the effective difference being functionally irrelevant) to become advocates, rather than serving as reporters of fact. It is difficult to have a functionally literate electorate with so little untainted reportage (although I'm cynical about the ability of an increasingly-passive populace as it is).

Item 3, meh; I believe history will treat most of what President Trump is doing now as well-played, and appropriate. I absolutely agree that Mexico could be better approached, but the essential problem there is that Mexico has become so utterly riddled in corruption and crime-rule that I doubt any approach could really much help. They have to get their house in order.

Item 4? Not sure what you're getting at here. Be specific. There has been no reversal of any human rights undertaken by the administration.

As for 5, this is absolutely an opportunity for improvement, but I suspect we will fundamentally disagree as to the means and methods. The best thing we could do for education improvement and reform is to defund and shutter the Department of Education, and allow the states to conduct education in the way that best suits their respective citizens' needs. One size does not fit all, and the single greatest contributor to mediocrity in education has been increased federal involvement and interference.

Lastly, 6 - you surely must be joking! The way the tax system is made to benefit everyone, is to have less tax being collected, full stop. Even the limited changes made thus far have had very substantial benefits to working people down the line (and I say this being fully mindful that many tax treatments which previously helped me are now gone). A claim that the tax changes benefit "only the wealthiest 1%" is simply and utterly hogwash.

Tax less, spend less, allow people (at all strata) to keep more of what they earn, and unleash the amazing productivity potential the country has, while it still has it.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

tommy1808

Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:33 am

kaitak wrote:
3. Rebuild international relations; this needs to be proactive.

That will be hard because of

The legacy of the current administration,

is not just that the current administration did a lot to damage international relation, the problem is that US citizens voted someone with policies like that into office. The President can be removed, but the voters will remain. Hence each and every country has to consider the possibility of treaties and agreement becoming null and void just one election cycle later.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

cpd

Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:53 am

Who says there is going to be a post Trump era? I think the Republican supporters here will agree with me, it's time to do away with Democracy and make trump the eternal leader.

Let's have a show of hands among Republican supporters here for that!

tommy1808

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:26 am

cpd wrote:
Who says there is going to be a post Trump era? I think the Republican supporters here will agree with me, it's time to do away with Democracy and make trump the eternal leader.!

No matter how conservative the supreme court is stacked, that ain´t gonne fly.

best regards
Thomas

DIRECTFLT

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:34 am

cpd wrote:
Who says there is going to be a post Trump era? I think the Republican supporters here will agree with me, it's time to do away with Democracy and make trump the eternal leader.

The very title of this thread is clickbait. Poor form. :thumbsdown:
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

sccutler

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:43 am

cpd wrote:

Joking is all well and good, but you can't mean this seriously... can you?

Be real: his opponent in the general election was the spouse of a prior president. Had she been elected, we'd have had the potential of sixteen years of one family in the chief executive role within one generation. And, just to double down on the lunacy, we had twelve years of another single family (albeit different generations) within a similar time frame, AND the serious possibility that a third member of that same immediate family would be the nominee.

So the best we could do was selecting from a minuscule list of career politicians, and suddenly you think someone wants an "eternal leader"? When the president issues from outside the political mainstream?

Get a grip.

Cite, if you will, to any meaningful and credible calls for the declaration of an "eternal leader."

If we fear for the republic (and we should), it is rhetoric like yours that proves the failure.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:52 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
cpd wrote:

The very title of this thread is clickbait. Poor form. :thumbsdown:

It wasn't intended to be. Damage has been done. The question was : how should it be repaired and what should be done by a president succeeding DT. I don't see anything resembling clickbait in that.

ltbewr

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:26 am

It is interesting to speculate on the post-Trump era, but hopefully believe it will lead to significant reforms, much like in the aftermath of Nixon.

After the fall of Nixon, significant reforms occurred as to campaign finance, ethics as to all politicians, transparency in government including 'open meetings' and Freedom of Information Acts on the Federal and State levels. Citizens United needs to be reversed and mandate control of any monies from non-party groups by the candidates. The laws created in the 1970's should be returned to what we need and 'loopholes' closed. Further we need laws requiring detailed public disclosures of tax returns and financial investments information of political candidates and officeholders including Judges and high level Cabinet positions. I would also like to see a strict ban on post-office money making/bribes on all such officials, no more $100,000 speech fees, huge book advances and no more 'Presidential Libraries' as nothing but dirty money pits.
As to taxes, we need to discourage short term speculation on stocks, bonds, real property with high short-term capital gains rates, stronger and better structured personal and corporate AMT laws.
We need comprehensive immigration reform and enforcement including stricter penalties on those that hire and exploit illegals, a well run foreign worker permit program, deal with the 'dreamers', enforce laws on visa violators. As other countries do, mandate visitors have a pre-paid return ticket and own financing. We also need to have polices with the countries where many illegal immigrants come from so they won't have to leave them for their personal and financial security.
We will need to revise with some balance our trade and tariff policies to create and keep jobs in the USA.
A new voting rights act to end gerrymandering, improve voter access like mandating voting by mail as an option, fair ID requirements, limit felony disenfranchisement.
For sure we need to return to reasonable and fairly applied regulations and laws as to business, finance, our enviroment and so on, not letting corporations control the responsible agencies.
We need a comprehensive structure of access to affordable healthcare.

einsteinboricua

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:28 am

Disagree with "No Twitter". Social media is an excellent outreach tool when used properly. The fact that the current Oval Office occupant can't help himself is a different story. Normal people would heed advice about what to post; Trump listens to no one but himself (unless it's praise; then he's all ears).

Elected officials use social media with the understanding that everything they post can be considered official communication. The onus is on them to make wise decisions.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

cpd

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:32 am

sccutler wrote:
cpd wrote:

Joking is all well and good, but you can't mean this seriously... can you?

Be real: his opponent in the general election was the spouse of a prior president. Had she been elected, we'd have had the potential of sixteen years of one family in the chief executive role within one generation. And, just to double down on the lunacy, we had twelve years of another single family (albeit different generations) within a similar time frame, AND the serious possibility that a third member of that same immediate family would be the nominee.

So the best we could do was selecting from a minuscule list of career politicians, and suddenly you think someone wants an "eternal leader"? When the president issues from outside the political mainstream?

Get a grip.

Cite, if you will, to any meaningful and credible calls for the declaration of an "eternal leader."

If we fear for the republic (and we should), it is rhetoric like yours that proves the failure.

Consider it exasperation with politicians today.

Name any of them who are really in it to help you or me? They are supposed to serve the people.

DL717

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:30 pm

cpd wrote:

Post fail.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Dutchy

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:53 pm

cpd wrote:

Heil Trump.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

aviationaware

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:01 pm

kaitak wrote:
Just imagine it: the current administration has come to an end and you are in the White House. What are your first steps, both for the presidency itself and the United States.

Go ...

1. Survey all the progress that has been made. Wall built, jobs and prosperity created, American greateness and dominance restored.
2. And the President saw every thing that Trump had made, and, behold, it was very good.
3. Call it a day. Continue this great work tomorrow.

kaitak wrote:
1. Bring dignity back to the office. Firstly, that means no Twitter or - to the greatest extent possible - everything to issue through the WH Press Office. The language needs to change. The President is not just the head of government, but the head of state as well. The language of the WH and the President needs to reflect that. A clear standard needs to be set - no personal attacks; use positive language, affirm, build, be measured and careful with language and communication.

Good, if the media stops their relentless and largely phony attacks, there will be no reason for the President to bypass the media.

kaitak wrote:
2. There can't/should not be a close relationship between the Press and the Government, but the current poisonous relationship has got to stop. The use of terms such as "fake news" and the press as "enemy of the people" needs to end.

Refer to 1. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If the media can't be impartial, then they can not expect any respect.

kaitak wrote:
3. Rebuild international relations; this needs to be proactive. The legacy of the current administration, if it runs its full course, is that many countries, particularly in the EU and ME (apart from Israel, of course), will question whether American involvement in the Middle East generally brings anything positive. It will be up to America to prove that (a) it can and (b) that its foreign policy as far as the ME is concerned is clearly distinguishable from that of Israel. Also, build relationships with the closest allies, particularly those to the northern and southern borders. Apologise to Mexico for the wall nonsense and meet the Mexican President and the Canadian PM asap. Some might well argue that it's beneath the US to apologise for anything, but good relationships with neighbours are more important than pride.

Reverting to the old days when everyone took advantage of America. What a great idea. Let's nominate you for the Nobel Peace Prize, you'd have good prospects.

kaitak wrote:
4. Religion and society. Abandon efforts to bring in religious conscious exceptions which have the effect of permitting discrimination, particularly where these may have the effect of people losing employment. Make it perfectly clear; the separation of Church and State is real. The state exists for the good of the people, not for the good of any religion, nor indeed do the people exist for the good of any religion. LGBTQ people have as much right to participate in and benefit from society as anyone else, and to be protected from discrimination.

Translation: Let's abandon freedom and force a collective will on everybody! Another great idea. Separation of church and state has never been questioned by anyone in the Trump administration. Liberty is being questioned by liberals every day.

kaitak wrote:
5. Education: make this the education presidency. Review of syllabi, costs, changes to tax legislation to facilitate return to and payment for education. Expansion of military colleges & academies; American education - at its best - is the best in the world, but there needs to be improvement at every level, from discipline, to teacher conditions/pay/morale, to investment in school equipment & facilities, as well as other issues across the board.

America is a federal republic. Education is primarily a state task. Your "Education Presidency" ends right there, and rightly so.

kaitak wrote:
6. Taxation: everybody benefits, not just the wealthiest 1%. Everyone benefits from society, everybody contributes to society. The tax system needs to reflect this.

That's interesting. So the top 1%, who pay 38% of all income taxes but make only 20% of all income would get a nice tax cut. Hey, it's all about equality I guess!

tommy1808

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:14 pm

aviationaware wrote:
kaitak wrote:

Go ...

1. Survey all the progress that has been made. Wall built, jobs and prosperity created, American greateness and dominance restored.

and now the fact check:

- Wall ain´t build, Mexiko ain´t paying for it.
- Job growth slowed down https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1KO0HD
- real wages in decline. https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/realer.pdf
- US internationally pretty much ignored

best regards
Thomas
Last edited by tommy1808 on Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DL717

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:16 am

tommy1808 wrote:
aviationaware wrote:
kaitak wrote:

Go ...

and now the fact check:

best regards
Thomas

Lowest unemployment rate in nearly 20 years. Sounds terrible? Okie dokie.

stl07

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:24 am

DL717 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
aviationaware wrote:

and now the fact check:

best regards
Thomas

When will people understand that employment rate isn't really to do with the president, it's a separate trend. I said it during Obama and I'll say it during Trump.

Stop cherrypicking statistics
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

MikeDrop

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:34 am

We will find out starting in January 2025.

Mike Drop

tommy1808

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:01 am

stl07 wrote:

You have to direct that comment at aviationaware.

DL717 wrote:

Yes, it actually looks pretty terrible, since real wages should really get in gear at that point, but those are not moving, especially not in the direction they should. They do everywhere else where employment numbers are good, aside of the UK, that has Brexit related wage influences and is just like the US wage development and both fare more on the level of Spain or Italy, both with unemployment well in the double digits.
The Job numbers under Obama also where the best in a long long time, no one cared about that, and those numbers where not in the wage boost full employment region.

best regards
Thomas

stl07

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:34 am

tommy1808 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

You have to direct that comment at aviationaware.

DL717 wrote:

Yes, it actually looks pretty terrible, since real wages should really get in gear at that point, but those are not moving, especially not in the direction they should. They do everywhere else where employment numbers are good, aside of the UK, that has Brexit related wage influences and is just like the US wage development and both fare more on the level of Spain or Italy, both with unemployment well in the double digits.
The Job numbers under Obama also where the best in a long long time, no one cared about that, and those numbers where not in the wage boost full employment region.

best regards
Thomas

That comment wasn't directed at you
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

tommy1808

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:01 am

stl07 wrote:
That comment wasn't directed at you

ah.. ok. And you are of course correct, the President can not effect the economy much, the White Houses biggest tool is probably to inspire confidence, but policy wise....... not really.

best regards
Thomas

Kiwirob

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:28 am

sccutler wrote:
[

Better get ready for Ivanka to take over from dad after his second term ;)

Dutchy

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:15 am

stl07 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

and now the fact check:

best regards
Thomas

When will people understand that employment rate isn't really to do with the president, it's a separate trend. I said it during Obama and I'll say it during Trump.

Since this president - and I use the term loosely - is dead set on trade wars, I would say that effect is on this president and you can see this effect.

Aesma

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:12 am

To turn things around you'd need someone truly exceptional, and even then that exceptional character would still have to deal with the same politicians and the same people, so it seems very unlikely to happen.

Here in France with elections staggered (presidential then legislative one month later) there is an opportunity for someone new to take power and for his/her party to beat many incumbents, allowing for fresh air, which is exactly what happened with Emmanuel Macron, but in the US that can't happen.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

DL717

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:34 pm

stl07 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

and now the fact check:

best regards
Thomas

It’s but a small component of the overall health of the economy, which is doing exceptionally well I might add. That is a result of policy.

Aesma

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:37 pm

As long as you don't look at the debt, of course.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

WIederling

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:29 pm

DL717 wrote:

Raises the question on how they changed the counting, doesn't it?

Most Trump Activity has that whiff of a Potemkin Front.
Murphy is an optimist

tommy1808

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:32 pm

Aesma wrote:
As long as you don't look at the debt, of course.

Yup.. spending 5% more than you make is not sustainable. And just ask Greece how little it takes to turn high, but manageable, debt turns into a killer problem real quick when something big happens somewhere.

Best regards
Thomas

Dutchy

Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:46 pm

If you want to answer this question, perhaps the best approach would be to split it in two:
- domestically
- international

Domestic
The people whom were rightfully unhappy with their situation, will still be in the same situation or perhaps even worse off because of the Trump administration. Healthcare: ACA has been dismantled, taxes for the poor and middle-class will have gone up, the economy will have taken a hit with these unnecessary trade wars and thus unemployment has gone up. I don't know how the social mobility will be impacted by this presidency.
If the next administration would like the meant this, well good luck. Because you have to undo all of Trump's policies which have impacted the well-being of the poor and middle-class plus you have to truly invest in social programmes for these classes and give them hope to improve their lives, beyond the point after 8 years Obama. Quite a leap to make for American politics.

Internationally
I think this will be much easier. In the end: "Nations have no permanent friends or allies, they only have permanent interests." - Lord Palmerston
In the end, the interest of the US lines up with the EU/Japan/Australia/New Zealand and the like. So those relationships should easily resort to Obama levels. You could see it after the Bush administration, all was quite fast forgotten and we could start building up the relationship again.

Super80Fan

Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:46 am

Well, it's a complicated topic considering we have the mess of Trump's presidency combined with the mess of Obummer's presidency. How I long for the Clinton/Bush days.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

NIKV69

Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:32 am

kaitak wrote:
It wasn't intended to be. Damage has been done. The question was : how should it be repaired and what should be done by a president succeeding DT. I don't see anything resembling clickbait in that.

What damage exactly?
I am the Googlizer!!!

WarRI1

Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:43 am

DL717 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
DL717 wrote:

It’s but a small component of the overall health of the economy, which is doing exceptionally well I might add. That is a result of policy.

As a died in the wool Republican friend of mine said today, they are lying about the economy and the jobs, the jobs being created are low wage, non-career jobs. I was surprised, she spent her career in finance, and she hates the banks and corporations, along with Wall Street
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Jouhou

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:53 am

1. Codify traditions that presidents are expected to follow. Write legislation clarifying what the constitution doesn't say anything about: the president isn't above the law.

2. Campaign Finance reform. Get money out of politics.

3. Re-staff the department of state and start apologizing to allies. Kill off the damn tariffs.

4. Fix "tax reform" by closing tax loopholes that corporations and wealthy people use to evade paying taxes. The corporate rate doesn't need to be brought back up if loopholes are closed. This should fix the deficit issue we currently have.

5. Spank Russia and any other country that interfered in our elections. Hard.

6. Bring back pro-democracy propaganda. People are too stupid to not be constantly reminded of what actually makes America "great"
情報

Dutchy

Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:32 am

Super80Fan wrote:
Well, it's a complicated topic considering we have the mess of Trump's presidency combined with the mess of Obummer's presidency. How I long for the Clinton/Bush days.

What damage of the Obama years? Or do you mean the economic meltdown of the 2007 financial crisis? Bush did a lot of damage to the international standing of the US, invading Iraq against the will of the vast majority of the international community among it. Clinton did relax a lot of laws, including the partly repeal of the Glass–Steagall Act of 1933. In part, it made the financial crisis of 2007 possible.

WIederling

Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:43 am

Dutchy wrote:
What damage of the Obama years? Or do you mean the economic meltdown of the 2007 financial crisis? Bush did a lot of damage to the international standing of the US, invading Iraq against the will of the vast majority of the international community among it. Clinton did relax a lot of laws, including the partly repeal of the Glass–Steagall Act of 1933. In part, it made the financial crisis of 2007 possible.

Watch the lobbying and warmongering personnel continuity of the group formed during the Bush 41 and probably a bit earlier too.
Rumsfeld, Bolton, <long list> behind the "New American Century" doctrine.
Murphy is an optimist

DL717

Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:34 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

As a died in the wool Republican friend of mine said today, they are lying about the economy and the jobs, the jobs being created are low wage, non-career jobs. I was surprised, she spent her career in finance, and she hates the banks and corporations, along with Wall Street

The economy is fine and she sounds like a Bernie supporter.

MassAppeal

Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:18 pm

Dutchy wrote:
If you want to answer this question, perhaps the best approach would be to split it in two:
- domestically
- international

Domestic
The people whom were rightfully unhappy with their situation, will still be in the same situation or perhaps even worse off because of the Trump administration. Healthcare: ACA has been dismantled, taxes for the poor and middle-class will have gone up, the economy will have taken a hit with these unnecessary trade wars and thus unemployment has gone up. I don't know how the social mobility will be impacted by this presidency.
If the next administration would like the meant this, well good luck. Because you have to undo all of Trump's policies which have impacted the well-being of the poor and middle-class plus you have to truly invest in social programmes for these classes and give them hope to improve their lives, beyond the point after 8 years Obama. Quite a leap to make for American politics.

Internationally
I think this will be much easier. In the end: "Nations have no permanent friends or allies, they only have permanent interests." - Lord Palmerston
In the end, the interest of the US lines up with the EU/Japan/Australia/New Zealand and the like. So those relationships should easily resort to Obama levels. You could see it after the Bush administration, all was quite fast forgotten and we could start building up the relationship again.

Just a couple of nitpicky points.

The ACA isn't dismantled. You can still get very cheap insurance through the marketplace. I do and I love it. Congress has to repeal the bill and they're not going to do that because its too popular.

Taxes for the poor and middle classes have not gone up. "The poor" don't even pay income tax. In fact, 48% of Americans pay no federal income tax at all. The 1%ers pay almost 40% of the total income taxes collected in the USA. Yes, they make lots of money but they also pay lots of money. They fund the majority of the governments budget.

And with the social programs I don't think they're as popular here as they are in Europe. We just don't have the same feelings towards them as you do. Of course some people want them but most Americans look at being on social welfare as a negative, temporary thing and not a good thing to have to do.

Your other points do have merit. I've always been a believer in the country is stronger than its leader. Just like we've seen big changes since Trump we will see big changes the other way. We're too unified and strong to bend too much to the will of one man. We will be fine in the long run.
Last edited by MassAppeal on Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tommy1808

Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:21 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

What damage of the Obama years? .

Fictional.... ever got anything solid and concrete?

Best regards
Thomas

Dutchy

Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:54 pm

MassAppeal wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
- domestically
- international

Domestic

Internationally

Just a couple of nitpicky points.

The ACA isn't dismantled. You can still get very cheap insurance through the marketplace. I do and I love it. Congress has to repeal the bill and they're not going to do that because its too popular.

Taxes for the poor and middle classes have not gone up. "The poor" don't even pay income tax. In fact, 48% of Americans pay no federal income tax at all. The 1%ers pay almost 40% of the total income taxes collected in the USA. Yes, they make lots of money but they also pay lots of money. They fund the majority of the governments budget.

And with the social programs I don't think they're as popular here as they are in Europe. We just don't have the same feelings towards them as you do. Of course some people want them but most Americans look at being on social welfare as a negative, temporary thing and not a good thing to have to do.

Your other points do have merit. I've always been a believer in the country is stronger than its leader. Just like we've seen big changes since Trump we will see big changes the other way. We're too unified and strong to bend too much to the will of one man. We will be fine in the long run.

We are talking about the 2021 or 2025 time frame, so Trump still has room to do all those things. As far as I understand the current tax breaks for everyone will be gone by the end of his first term, except for the rich.

The main point I was trying to make is that you need to listen to people fom the rust belt, they are the ones whom put Trump into power, how are you going to bring them back.

As for social security, welfare is viewed quite the same way in the EU, it should be temporary, but also if society doesn't pay you enough, this is a form of redistribution of wealth so everyone can maintain a certain level of living. In the Netherlands minimum wage is something like € 1.594,20, but someone needs something like € 2.000 a month to live. So the difference need to come from somewhere.

Ken777

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:31 pm

aviationaware wrote:

2. And the President saw every thing that Trump had made, and, behold, it was very good.
3. Call it a day. Continue this great work tomorrow.

What about all the failures?
So how much infrastructure would the Post Trump/Pence President actually see. How much has Trump moved into construction these days?

Good, if the media stops their relentless and largely phony attacks, there will be no reason for the President to bypass the media.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If the media can't be impartial, then they can not expect any respect.

Are you talking about Britefart? What about the National Enquirer?

The legitimate media are taking big time hits because they are not the lapdogs Trump wants. Plus he is getting pretty desperate these days - Meuller gets closer and he calls legitimate journalists "the enemy of the state". That doesn't worry you at least a little bit?

Reverting to the old days when everyone took advantage of America. What a great idea. Let's nominate you for the Nobel Peace Prize, you'd have good prospects.

One of the problems with Trump's Isolationism is that it moves the country away from a position of international leadership, and to a position where Trump dances to Putin's Tune. I liked the old days where we demonstrated leadership AND developed important relationships, like NATO.

I've also been fortunate enough to have spent time overseas - thanks to the US Navy and subsequent travel. That exposure makes strongly against isolating the US from the rest of the world. The really queer part is Trump personally making a lot of money from other countries. He's obnoxious to the UK but does like to play golf on his courses in Scotland.

Translation: Let's abandon freedom and force a collective will on everybody! Another great idea. Separation of church and state has never been questioned by anyone in the Trump administration. Liberty is being questioned by liberals every day.

The Trump Administration crawls on their knees to keep the evangelicals in his court. He would not be President without them.

Wrong. America is, down the list of excellence these days, especially. below the university levels. The worst examples are in the conservative states. I like in Oklahoma and our right wing dumb broad of a governor has dragged the state towards last place Mississippi. We just hired over 1,000 non-teachers because the Conservatives were too cheap to pay a competitive salary. There has now been an increase - just $10K below Texas now.

In the general area of Education I believe we need the Federal level participating closely to ensure "Equal Protection" for students. When the Constitution was written people liven in their one state and loyalty was to the state, not the country. Today state loyalty is only important in athletics, like the OU - Texas annual game in October. These days people move from state to state at a level that the Founders could never envision. Look at folks in the military as those in large companies, like the oil industry. My Dad worked for an oil company for 43 years and had multiple transfers - all to a different state. He had a right to expect the educational systems to be at a consistent standard.

America is a federal republic. Education is primarily a state task. Your "Education Presidency" ends right there, and rightly so.

Equal protection under the law. That diminishes the love of state rights.

That's interesting. So the top 1%, who pay 38% of all income taxes but make only 20% of all income would get a nice tax cut. Hey, it's all about equality I guess!

The top 1% keeps the minimum wage below the poverty level so they can become even richer. When all taxes are considered the poor pay a higher percentage of their income than Trump's Billionaires. There is no "equality" in the Trump Administration. There is just more poverty in America. Pathetic IMO.

anrec80

Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:56 pm

Jouhou wrote:
1. Codify traditions that presidents are expected to follow. Write legislation clarifying what the constitution doesn't say anything about: the president isn't above the law.

Agree - but not overdo. What you have here now is that law enforcement and prosecution is being used by those who lost against those who won, and vice versa. This just causes dysfunction in the whole political system. Will a competent and able individual be willing to run for an office position knowing that his former competitor won't accept his defeat? And that from that point on he won't be able to work and every one of his supporters and team members will have to defend himself against some stupid allegations - such as "sexual harassment", some "meddling" "Russia ties", etc.?

Jouhou wrote:

This - I agree fully. Strong and reasonable limit for every person and entity as to how much in total can donate. Require that such person can be only a US citizen, and a commercial entity is controlled by US citizens.

Jouhou wrote:
3. Re-staff the department of state and start apologizing to allies. Kill off the damn tariffs.

Re-staffing and apologies won't do it at this point, I afraid. Not only you imposed tariffs, you've been threatening sanctions to the whole world, including closest allies. Who yet a year ago did not believe this is possible. And rest assured, Putin and Xi Jinping are taking full advantage of this when working with Turkey and Europe. You can't un-grind a pack of ground sirloin back into chunks. What has a chance - re-negotiate trade agreements and explicitly renounce such things as sanctions, agree to not use them. And not only against allies, but also Russia, China and maybe even Iran.

Jouhou wrote:
4. Fix "tax reform" by closing tax loopholes that corporations and wealthy people use to evade paying taxes. The corporate rate doesn't need to be brought back up if loopholes are closed. This should fix the deficit issue we currently have.

The deficit now is about $800 billion. Way too large for an easy fix. You need to re-assess everything, every program. Can you afford 700+ billion defense, more than the rest of the world combined? Subsidized Section 8 housing, the way it is? Food-stamps for 50 million people? Medicare the way it is and with network rates the way they are? I am not even mentioning things like "green energy" tax breaks and subsidies - all that needs to get onto the chopping block. I understand what I am saying is cynical, but the question is - can the country afford this?

Jouhou wrote:

You are still itching about this "interference"? Keep in mind 2 things. First - now China and North Korea are added to the ranks of those responsible. Spanking hard - do you have enough hands for all that? Second - besides a failed case of some "Internet Research Agency" worth about $1 mil there is nothing proven at all. Whatsoever. Now they have 12 or so Russians being accused, but that case is yet to be won. And spanking thus far hasn't given any results. If you noticed - in private, nobody from American officials says anything to their Russian counterparts about this at all. Even Bolton did not raise this matter with Patrushev - perhaps he knows as well that this matter is a BS not worth wasting precious time together with just as high-ranking Russian official?

This matter just poisons the US political system. Those who blew it out of nothing should be spanked hard at best And those are Dems who lost.

Jouhou wrote:
6. Bring back pro-democracy propaganda. People are too stupid to not be constantly reminded of what actually makes America "great"

There is no shortage of "pro-democracy" propaganda - CNN, Fox and the likes still dominate the news market. Perhaps improve in quality, and stop advertising competition like RT?

WarRI1

Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:02 am

DL717 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
DL717 wrote:

She is a Republican who has the intelligence to know who is screwing us over, I find that rarely on here or anywhere else. I might ask what is fine? Are wages going up, are the tax cuts helping the regular workers? They sure are for the corporations who are the ones who sent the jobs overseas and are not giving out living wages, now that the economy is doing fine as you state. You sound like a apologist for the Buffoon and his band of thieves and liars.

Jouhou

Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:58 am

anrec80 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Agree - but not overdo. What you have here now is that law enforcement and prosecution is being used by those who lost against those who won, and vice versa. This just causes dysfunction in the whole political system. Will a competent and able individual be willing to run for an office position knowing that his former competitor won't accept his defeat? And that from that point on he won't be able to work and every one of his supporters and team members will have to defend himself against some stupid allegations - such as "sexual harassment", some "meddling" "Russia ties", etc.?

Jouhou wrote:

This - I agree fully. Strong and reasonable limit for every person and entity as to how much in total can donate. Require that such person can be only a US citizen, and a commercial entity is controlled by US citizens.

Jouhou wrote:

Re-staffing and apologies won't do it at this point, I afraid. Not only you imposed tariffs, you've been threatening sanctions to the whole world, including closest allies. Who yet a year ago did not believe this is possible. And rest assured, Putin and Xi Jinping are taking full advantage of this when working with Turkey and Europe. You can't un-grind a pack of ground sirloin back into chunks. What has a chance - re-negotiate trade agreements and explicitly renounce such things as sanctions, agree to not use them. And not only against allies, but also Russia, China and maybe even Iran.

Jouhou wrote:

The deficit now is about $800 billion. Way too large for an easy fix. You need to re-assess everything, every program. Can you afford 700+ billion defense, more than the rest of the world combined? Subsidized Section 8 housing, the way it is? Food-stamps for 50 million people? Medicare the way it is and with network rates the way they are? I am not even mentioning things like "green energy" tax breaks and subsidies - all that needs to get onto the chopping block. I understand what I am saying is cynical, but the question is - can the country afford this?

Jouhou wrote:

You are still itching about this "interference"? Keep in mind 2 things. First - now China and North Korea are added to the ranks of those responsible. Spanking hard - do you have enough hands for all that? Second - besides a failed case of some "Internet Research Agency" worth about $1 mil there is nothing proven at all. Whatsoever. Now they have 12 or so Russians being accused, but that case is yet to be won. And spanking thus far hasn't given any results. If you noticed - in private, nobody from American officials says anything to their Russian counterparts about this at all. Even Bolton did not raise this matter with Patrushev - perhaps he knows as well that this matter is a BS not worth wasting precious time together with just as high-ranking Russian official?

This matter just poisons the US political system. Those who blew it out of nothing should be spanked hard at best And those are Dems who lost.

Jouhou wrote:

There is no shortage of "pro-democracy" propaganda - CNN, Fox and the likes still dominate the news market. Perhaps improve in quality, and stop advertising competition like RT?

Reducing the corporate rate was always feasible only if we closed loopholes. The loopholes in this country are MASSIVE.

I think your views on interference were a given. No point in debating that yet again.

And propaganda implies something state sponsored. We only have state sponsored military and foreign propaganda now. We used to have propaganda that instilled pride in democracy and hatred of fascism domestically.
情報

tommy1808

Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:06 am

anrec80 wrote:
The deficit now is about $800 billion. Way too large for an easy fix.

Increase taxes by an average 3% on all incomes is a pretty easy fix. Not a popular one for sure, but easy and effective.
Despite all the propaganda, there is no correlation between tax rate and economic growth, let alone a causation, outside of extremes. Reducing social security however does have negative impact on growth.
There isn't enough to cut to safe 800 billion and the expected rise in interest rate payments on the debt.

Best regards
Thomas

seb146

Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:02 pm

stl07 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

and now the fact check:

best regards
Thomas

Interesting there is also no talk from righties about the real unemployment rate.

Much of the damage today can be traced back to Reagan when he did away with the Fairness Doctrine. That put the foot in the door for propaganda. Righties will scream and cry that is an attack on Fox or something about free speech and then go on to attack CNN and MSNBC with zero irony whatsoever.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

DL717

Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:11 pm

seb146 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
DL717 wrote:

Interesting there is also no talk from righties about the real unemployment rate.

Much of the damage today can be traced back to Reagan when he did away with the Fairness Doctrine. That put the foot in the door for propaganda. Righties will scream and cry that is an attack on Fox or something about free speech and then go on to attack CNN and MSNBC with zero irony whatsoever.

You make it so easy:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.market ... 0FA6EDB264

anrec80

Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:42 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
anrec80 wrote:
The deficit now is about $800 billion. Way too large for an easy fix.

Increase taxes by an average 3% on all incomes is a pretty easy fix. Not a popular one for sure, but easy and effective.
Despite all the propaganda, there is no correlation between tax rate and economic growth, let alone a causation, outside of extremes. Reducing social security however does have negative impact on growth.
There isn't enough to cut to safe 800 billion and the expected rise in interest rate payments on the debt.

Best regards
Thomas

Total income tax receipts are about 3.2-3.4 trillion per year. You need to boost those by a quarter - 7-10 percentage points of income across the board, not only 1%. And this is a lot. 3% won’t do it. And this is a lot of increase, which doesn’t fly in 21st century. Those in 1% will be thinking even more about using other jurisdiction, lobby for loopholes, and simply move themselves and their capital elsewhere. There are many nations with tax rates in 5-15% range, who will be happy to snap American 1 percenters (engineers, business people, etc.), with all their competencies and experience. Those are Russia, China, Singapore, many others. 40 years ago such moves could work, but not in 21st century.

Super80Fan

Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:34 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

She is a Republican who has the intelligence to know who is screwing us over, I find that rarely on here or anywhere else. I might ask what is fine? Are wages going up, are the tax cuts helping the regular workers? They sure are for the corporations who are the ones who sent the jobs overseas and are not giving out living wages, now that the economy is doing fine as you state. You sound like a apologist for the Buffoon and his band of thieves and liars.

This has been happening under both GOP and Democratic presidents since the 1970's, your anger is pointed in the wrong direction.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

seb146

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:06 am

DL717 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

You make it so easy:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.market ... 0FA6EDB264

You are the first one just now to bring this up. It has been going down since the Republican Great Recession. And, still, low wage jobs will not help anyone.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

WarRI1

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:41 am

Super80Fan wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
DL717 wrote:

This has been happening under both GOP and Democratic presidents since the 1970's, your anger is pointed in the wrong direction.

My anger and hers is pointed at the right people, see above, I neither blamed Democrats or Republicans, I blame them both along with the Corporations, Banks and Wall Street. Now show me who is to blame in your fantasy world. I love these statements without any substance.