Airstud
Topic Author
Posts: 4628
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:03 am

is sour cream & onion.



(And it's obviously like waaaayyyyyyyy correct, because I know it's the correct flavor, and I don't even like potato chips.)
Pancakes are delicious.
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 7689
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:13 am

Airstud wrote:
is sour cream & onion.


Absolutely...when I was 12. Wise Sour-Cream and Onion. Yummy...when I was 12.

Now, Jalapeño or Salt & Vinegar.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
seb146
Posts: 20248
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:15 am

Tim's Cascade limited edition flavors. This time, it is Parmesan garlic.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
skyservice_330
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2000 6:50 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:21 am

Ketchup ... and don’t even try to pretend I am not 100% right
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 9278
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:27 am

The correct potato chip flavor

Is POTATO!

Image

If you must have more then salt and pepper is an option.

But it is not more correct than POTATO/regular lightly salted chips.

And then if you need more then you may add either ranch or sour cream and onion dip.


Tugg
And I apologize to any others that wish to post but that's it. The thread is done. Fini. Over. No more posts needed. Thank you
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin
 
acjbbj
Posts: 310
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:06 pm

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:45 am

I would like to know how a hybrid of Sour cream/onion, Ranch, and Cheese would turn out...
Douglas Aircraft Company
Born: 22 July 1921 (Santa Monica, CA)
Died: 23 May 2006 (Long Beach, CA), age 84 years 10 months 1 day
You will be missed.
 
Airstud
Topic Author
Posts: 4628
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:49 am

fr8mech wrote:
Salt


Gross.
Pancakes are delicious.
 
nwadeicer
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:17 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:10 am

Lays Ketchup. However seeing that the US can’t seem to figure that out then we will go with Lays all dressed, at least they have them here. Screw your barbecue and sour cream/onion.
I miss the Red Tail
 
jetwet1
Posts: 2862
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:24 am

Worcester sauce, Marmite, Roasted chicken or beef and onion, sorry America, when it comes to crisps you need to look to the UK.
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 2797
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:03 am

You are all incorrect and appear to be posting flavours of crisps, chips however just need a little bit of salt and if they are being consumed with fish a drizzle of malt vinegar.

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
 
BlueberryWheats
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:46 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:11 am

I agree, flipdewaf.

A.net... know your potato products.

Chips:
Image

Crisps (the correct flavour of which):
Image
 
ThePointblank
Posts: 3182
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:54 am

Image

Says it all.
 
Bongodog1964
Posts: 3542
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:29 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:07 am

Tugger wrote:
The correct potato chip flavor

Is POTATO!

Image

If you must have more then salt and pepper is an option.

But it is not more correct than POTATO/regular lightly salted chips.

And then if you need more then you may add either ranch or sour cream and onion dip.


Tugg
And I apologize to any others that wish to post but that's it. The thread is done. Fini. Over. No more posts needed. Thank you


Have just wolfed down a packet of Lays classic as described, which seemed to stow away in my bag on the way back from Orlando, I have to concur, the problem here in the UK is that all the emphasis now is on "hand cooked" "kettle" etc and wierd/exotic flavours. It took the packet of Lays classic to remind me of how crisps (chips to those over the pond) were when I was a kid.
 
jetwet1
Posts: 2862
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:40 am

Bongodog1964 wrote:
It took the packet of Lays classic to remind me of how crisps (chips to those over the pond) were when I was a kid.


And for me it was a pack of Roasted Chicken flavour Walkers I had a month ago that had the memories flooding back.
 
Airstud
Topic Author
Posts: 4628
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:42 am

jetwet1 wrote:
Roasted Chicken flavour Walkers


:boggled:
Pancakes are delicious.
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 2613
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:08 pm

Ruffles Cheddar and Sour Cream. Hands down.

Image
 
aviationaware
Posts: 2812
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:11 pm

The correct potato chip flavor is no potato chips, because they are an unhealthy load of trans fat cancer.

But if you insist. Yes, Sour Cream and Onion all the way. Although I was kind of into Salt and Vinegar when I was a kid.

flipdewaf wrote:
You are all incorrect and appear to be posting flavours of crisps, chips however just need a little bit of salt and if they are being consumed with fish a drizzle of malt vinegar.


Yea, this thread is for real people. British please stay out.
 
User avatar
Erebus
Posts: 1002
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:40 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:23 pm

The weird thing about potato chips and me is that I don't like it and it is very difficult for me to bring myself to eat one at first. But if I do pop one in my mouth, I seem to carry on for a bit.
 
ChrisKen
Posts: 752
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:57 pm

aviationaware wrote:
Yea, this thread is for real people. British please stay out.


Except the 'inventor', William Kitchiner, called them 'crisps', as they are thin slices or shavings of potato. They are not chips of potato.
Kitchiner was most definitely British and a person. A person whose recipe was regularly credited in early US cookery books. Those US cookery books also called them crisps

The correct answer for crisps, is a light sprinkling of (sea) salt.
The same holds true for their thicker chunked cousins, chips. Although these may be adorned with Garlic Mayonnaise.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2685
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:15 pm

skyservice_330 wrote:
Ketchup ... and don’t even try to pretend I am not 100% right


Canadian? (I personally hate Ketchup so I cannot stand it, my wifey adore it, though).

And come on, Salted Egg Flavor Chips FTW. Americans/Europeans/Canadians are missing that out :scratchchin: (Not saying it's "correct", though. "Correct" Chips is Salt only IMO)
 
BlueberryWheats
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:46 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:19 pm

aviationaware wrote:
Yea, this thread is for real people. British please stay out.


Well I never! This calls for the strongest weapons in our arsenal... a stern glance, a tut and being indignant.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 9278
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:25 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
aviationaware wrote:
Yea, this thread is for real people. British please stay out.


Well I never! This calls for the strongest weapons in our arsenal... a stern glance, a tut and being indignant.

And perhaps you could look at the person with incredulity!

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 2613
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:28 pm

Tugger wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:
aviationaware wrote:
Yea, this thread is for real people. British please stay out.


Well I never! This calls for the strongest weapons in our arsenal... a stern glance, a tut and being indignant.

And perhaps you could look at the person with incredulity!

Tugg



Image

You had best report your experience in this thread!
 
VSMUT
Posts: 2813
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:14 pm

Airstud wrote:
is sour cream & onion.



(And it's obviously like waaaayyyyyyyy correct, because I know it's the correct flavor, and I don't even like potato chips.)


You really don't want to know what goes into those...

Hint: It's not sour cream, and there is no onion about it either.
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 2613
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:24 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Airstud wrote:
is sour cream & onion.



(And it's obviously like waaaayyyyyyyy correct, because I know it's the correct flavor, and I don't even like potato chips.)


You really don't want to know what goes into those...

Hint: It's not sour cream, and there is no onion about it either.


It's not this?

potatoes, vegetable oil (sunflower, corn, and/or canola oil), sour cream & onion seasoning (skim milk, salt, sour cream [cultured cream, skim milk], onion powder, whey, whey protein concentrate, canola oil, natural flavor, parsley, gum arabic, maltodextrin [made from corn], sunflower oil, citric acid, and buttermilk).
 
ACDC8
Posts: 7758
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:32 pm

Funny-Frisch Paprika

Seasoned perfectly, not too little and not to overpowering like most other chips.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut
 
Bongodog1964
Posts: 3542
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:29 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:37 pm

aviationaware wrote:
The correct potato chip flavor is no potato chips, because they are an unhealthy load of trans fat cancer.

But if you insist. Yes, Sour Cream and Onion all the way. Although I was kind of into Salt and Vinegar when I was a kid.

flipdewaf wrote:
You are all incorrect and appear to be posting flavours of crisps, chips however just need a little bit of salt and if they are being consumed with fish a drizzle of malt vinegar.


Yea, this thread is for real people. British please stay out.


Perhaps that's the difference between Potato chips and potato crisps - trans fats. Here in the UK we would not sully our crisps by frying them in trans fats, we leave that to the "real people" and use pure sunflower oil or pure rapeseed oil.
 
User avatar
northstardc4m
Posts: 3228
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2000 11:23 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:45 pm

All this thread and not a single one for Dill Pickle? I weep for humanity... you all fail at correct potato chip flavors.

Also Walkers Potato Crisps and Lays Potato Chips are basically the same according the nutritional information so I wouldn't bet on British crisps being healthier.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
 
ChrisKen
Posts: 752
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:47 pm

Despite the similar branding these days, the actual product in a Lays packet is a poor relative* to it's UK Walkers counterpart. (*Unless there's been significant improvement in lays since I last had the misfortune to try them).
Thankfully one of the few American take overs that hasn't messed around and ballsed up the product/brand they wanted to get their hands on.
 
meecrob
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:15 pm

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:55 pm

Sorry, a bit off topic, but there is no current correct flavour in my neck of the woods. It seems that due to the semi-recent health craze, all manufacturers put a sprinkling of colour rather than flavour.They all taste like regular. If I wanted to be healthy, I would not be eating chips.

My decade old vote goes to Doritos Ketchup, but even that has been watered down nowadays.
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 21480
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:35 am

Airstud wrote:
is sour cream & onion.


Mark this one on the calendar. We agree on what is correct. Although cool ranch is up there. (You unamericans won't understand, I suspect). BBQ is also up there (ditto for the unamericans).
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan
 
ltbewr
Posts: 14179
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:59 am

Most of the time if I am having potato chips (USA), I prefer your basic salted ones. The UK brand chips are decent, I have tried salt, salt and vinegar, prawn cocktail, bacon, cheese. In the USA we are seeing more exotic flavors and there are some regional favorites. One of the best are crab seasoning flavored ones. A salty, spicy favor with a bite, the best ones are made by Pennsylvania based Utz brand.
 
VSMUT
Posts: 2813
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:24 am

trpmb6 wrote:
It's not this?

potatoes, vegetable oil (sunflower, corn, and/or canola oil), sour cream & onion seasoning (skim milk, salt, sour cream [cultured cream, skim milk], onion powder, whey, whey protein concentrate, canola oil, natural flavor, parsley, gum arabic, maltodextrin [made from corn], sunflower oil, citric acid, and buttermilk).


Some of them are. Apart from potatoes, the primary ingredient is this, fur and all. Note, this isn't the good kind of penicillin mold, but the toxic kind that isn't safe for human consumption. I asked some experts in the laboratory, and they admitted that the toxins aren't removed in the melting process.

Image

Onion powder, whey, whey protein, skim milk, buttermilk and maltodextrin also go in. Then there is a ton of artificial cheese flavouring, the most disgusting vile liquid I have ever worked with. There are also a bunch of taste enhancers that are also carcinogens, which is the reason why full-protection suits and a breathing apparatus had to be worn during the mixing of the batch.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 11657
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:24 am

I discovered vinegar flavor on a middle school UK trip and found it horrible. Now I suspect I would like it. However not long after that I discovered tortilla chips and since then I have stopped eating potato crisps entirely. I don't like their taste as much, and they feel too oily.

As for flavors, I like sour cream & onion, hot & spicy, and BBQ. Or just salt.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
SmithAir747
Posts: 1888
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:30 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:19 pm

My favourite potato chips I have ever had were made by Seyferts, in Fort Wayne, IN (my hometown). They had their factory in Fort Wayne. They provided the chips for the Zoo-Loo-Au zoo members' family picnic at Fort Wayne Children's Zoo every summer during my childhood. Seyferts is going out of business very soon, the end of a Fort Wayne icon.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)
 
emperortk
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:01 pm

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:32 pm

The correct answer is:

Image

Sadly, they were too beautiful for this world and are no longer produced.
 
User avatar
EstherLouise
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:16 pm

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:01 pm

Old Dutch Onion and Garlic.

Image
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83
 
User avatar
cjg225
Posts: 1798
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:18 pm

Um, none?

Just an original red and white bag of Utz original potato chips. Nothing is better.

Image

But if I HAVE to select a flavor, it's Utz Crab Chips.

Image
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 6764
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:56 pm

Onion blossom Pringles. Fight me.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
ChrisKen
Posts: 752
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:33 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Onion blossom Pringles. Fight me.

Pringles aren't potato crisps/chips. Less than half of their content is potato.
 
Cadet985
Posts: 2143
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 6:45 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:01 pm

cjg225 wrote:
Um, none?

Just an original red and white bag of Utz original potato chips. Nothing is better.

Image

But if I HAVE to select a flavor, it's Utz Crab Chips.

Image


Herr’s makes A Chickie’s and Pete’s crab fry chip that’s amazing.

Marc
 
User avatar
cjg225
Posts: 1798
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:54 am

Cadet985 wrote:
Herr’s makes A Chickie’s and Pete’s crab fry chip that’s amazing.

Marc

It's very good, yes. But, for me personally, I still give the edge to Utz Crab Chips. They're actually pretty intense.

I was in a Primo's Hoagies the other night, and I saw what, if I recall correctly, was Herr's Kettle Corn but also with Chickie's and Pete's crab spice. I didn't buy a bag, but was intrigued.

My friends from PSU who live closer to Philly say that P.J. Whelihan's crab fries are actually better than Chickie's and Pete's.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...
 
ThePointblank
Posts: 3182
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:22 am

cjg225 wrote:
Cadet985 wrote:
Herr’s makes A Chickie’s and Pete’s crab fry chip that’s amazing.

Marc

It's very good, yes. But, for me personally, I still give the edge to Utz Crab Chips. They're actually pretty intense.

I was in a Primo's Hoagies the other night, and I saw what, if I recall correctly, was Herr's Kettle Corn but also with Chickie's and Pete's crab spice. I didn't buy a bag, but was intrigued.

My friends from PSU who live closer to Philly say that P.J. Whelihan's crab fries are actually better than Chickie's and Pete's.

I got a feeling you might like this:
Image
 
User avatar
cjg225
Posts: 1798
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:01 pm

ThePointblank wrote:
*cut for size*

I wonder if they have those in the US...

For me, 2nd place in the "seafood spice" category goes to:

Image
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...
 
B0pp0
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:35 pm

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:20 pm

ThePointblank wrote:
Image

Says it all.


This thread is over. Lock it up mods. :P
 
NIKV69
Posts: 12647
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:24 pm

Airstud wrote:
is sour cream & onion.



(And it's obviously like waaaayyyyyyyy correct, because I know it's the correct flavor, and I don't even like potato chips.)


Cheddar and sour cream close second
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die,
 
Georgetown
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:50 pm

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:42 am

Hawaiian Sweet Maui Onion. Period. Full Stop.
Let's go Hoyas!
 
Airstud
Topic Author
Posts: 4628
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:46 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:
aviationaware wrote:
Yea, this thread is for real people. British please stay out.


Well I never! This calls for the strongest weapons in our arsenal... a stern glance, a tut and being indignant.


Looks like you've been surreptitiously wielding stronger weapons than that:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/26/europe/r ... index.html
Pancakes are delicious.
 
BlueberryWheats
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:46 am

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:41 am

Airstud wrote:
Looks like you've been surreptitiously wielding stronger weapons than that:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/26/europe/r ... index.html


Ah yes, the boys in Q branch have been working hard on that one.
 
User avatar
neutrino
Posts: 1536
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: The correct potato chip flavor

Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:56 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
And come on, Salted Egg Flavor Chips FTW. Americans/Europeans/Canadians are missing that out :scratchchin: (Not saying it's "correct", though. "Correct" Chips is Salt only IMO)


This takes the cake.....err chips, hands down,up, left, right & center. All other flavors fall out.
Image

However, fishskin is definitely superior to any potato chips or crisps. But be warned; its bloody addictive.
Image
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dutchy, L410Turbolet, Mani87, N1611B, Reinhardt, Scorpio and 52 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos