estorilm
Topic Author

Top Gun 2: Maverick - Aircraft, filming, production & rumors thread

Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:56 pm

I know it's cheesy to some, but I was 2 years old when this came out in '86 - and with my dad being a retired air force pilot (and taking me on business trips nonstop around the country/world as I grew up) I was obsessed with aviation from the start. Having said that, the original Top Gun has always been entertaining for me.

Watching a sequel take shape after such a long period of time (and all the endless banter about how "old" these guys are now) certainly makes me realize that I'm not a kid anymore either, but I'd have to imagine that's probably a theme within the movie - and a big draw for the target audience.

In any event, I figured I'd make a thread for us to contribute tidbits of information into, as production continues. I'm personally very interested in what they're going to show, and how they'll show it - and no, I have zero expectations as far as accuracy is going to be concerned. :)

Tom Cruise has specifically said that they're going to shoot / allow it to flow in much the same way as the original.

I'll just put these in here to pique your interest a bit more, and to remissness on how much of a beast the Tomcat was in its day. :hypnotized:
Last edited by estorilm on Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

estorilm
Topic Author

Re: Top Gun 2: Maverick - Aircraft, filming, production & rumors thread

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:00 pm

The Virginia Pilot (pilotonline.com) reports that "'Top Gun' sequel filming aboard Norfolk-based aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln" has begun this week. This is interesting for me, as the carrier is based in my home state only 200mi away.

They say no actors are on-board, and that they're filming b-roll footage of the super hornet.

https://pilotonline.com/news/military/local/article_23811e14-a53a-11e8-a333-73aec78d8ae9.html

A few months ago, it was established that the F/A-18 Super Hornet would be the featured aircraft in the film, not the purported F-35C which seemed logical for JSF PR reasons. The Super Hornet's role has since been confirmed a few times now.

However the interesting thing is that a full squadron of F-35C's also arrived on the USS Abraham Lincoln for carrier training ops on Wednesday. Hmmmm. :scratchchin:

LMP737

Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:48 am

Having been in the Navy I can't help but smile when I see the captains insignia on his shoulder. Given the time frame involved "Maverick" would have around thirty five years, if not more, behind him in his Naval career. Which means he should have Admirals stars on his shoulder by now and be flying a desk. As an officer if you don't make promotions in a certain time frame you retire. But, it's Hollywood and there's money to be made.

A more realistic movie would be Mav flying for an airline on his second or possibly third marriage. ;)
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

LMP737

Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:53 am

estorilm wrote:

A few months ago, it was established that the F/A-18 Super Hornet would be the featured aircraft in the film, not the purported F-35C which seemed logical for JSF PR reasons. The Super Hornet's role has since been confirmed a few times now.

However the interesting thing is that a full squadron of F-35C's also arrived on the USS Abraham Lincoln for carrier training ops on Wednesday. Hmmmm. :scratchchin:

With the F/A-18F you have the two man crew angle like you did with the F-14

flyingturtle

Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:49 am

Wait? No Folland Gnats?

I'm disappointed.

I've seen "Top Gun" only once, in contrast to that other film.. but I'm curious how it will turn out.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

scbriml

Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:14 am

Oh dear. Some things are best left in the past.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

GST

Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:41 am

LMP737 wrote:
A more realistic movie would be Mav flying for an airline on his second or possibly third marriage. ;)

I'm now kinda hoping that all the Navy stuff is just a trolling subterfuge (and generating footage for an equally subterfuge-y trailer), and this is the actual sequel in the works.

LMP737

Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:14 pm

GST wrote:

I'm now kinda hoping that all the Navy stuff is just a trolling subterfuge (and generating footage for an equally subterfuge-y trailer), and this is the actual sequel in the works.

The first five minutes are his last flight as a Naval Aviator. The next hour and fifty five minutes is him flying the flights at an airline no one else wants because he's the bottom guy on the seniority list. LOL!

KFLLCFII

Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:01 am

estorilm wrote:
In any event, I figured I'd make a thread for us to contribute tidbits of information into, as production continues. I'm personally very interested in what they're going to show, and how they'll show it - and no, I have zero expectations as far as accuracy is going to be concerned. :)

Predictions?

1) Knowing the current atmosphere of Hollyweird, they will manage to show as much bashing of the Commander-in-Chief (who will probably remain unnamed in the film) as they can fit in 2 hours.

2) Val Kilmer's beach scene:

"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

flyingturtle

Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:00 pm

KFLLCFII wrote:
1) Knowing the current atmosphere of Hollyweird, they will manage to show as much bashing of the Commander-in-Chief (who will probably remain unnamed in the film) as they can fit in 2 hours.

Well-informed sources have told me that Trump himself appears.

The scenario is the White House being under attack.

Maverick lands with his F-14 on the White House lawn. He stole one in Iran because the Navy isn't flying them anymore. Stupid Navy.

"Climb aboard, Mr. President!"

The President waddles over the lawn. Falls. Repeatedly.

"Climb aboard!"

The President tries so, but has to give up.

Maverick zooms away, with the terrorists raining missiles on the White House.

"I always thought he's unfit for office."

David

PC12Fan

Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:51 pm

estorilm wrote:
I know it's cheesy to some, but I was 2 years old when this came out in '86

Oh shut up. :old:

:tongue2:

estorilm wrote:
I'm personally very interested in what they're going to show, and how they'll show it - and no, I have zero expectations as far as accuracy is going to be concerned. :)

I hear ya, but it's Hollywood. I'm thankful that I have the approach towards movies that it is what it is - a story. Even if accuracy is bordering on the ridiculous, I always try to just focus on the storyline and try to enjoy it. It's not a documentary, you know? Although it would have been cool to CG these in as the "new Tomcat".

estorilm wrote:
just put these in here to pique your interest a bit more, and to remissness on how much of a beast the Tomcat was in its day. :hypnotized:

And we thank you for that. :bigthumbsup:
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

Moose135

Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:43 pm

estorilm wrote:
I'll just put these in here to pique your interest a bit more, and to remissness on how much of a beast the Tomcat was in its day.

The plane that made Tom Cruise famous!
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

checksixx

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:28 am

estorilm wrote:

Curious as to your source for that...we didn't see any. ;)

ThePointblank

Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:14 am

checksixx wrote:
estorilm wrote:

Curious as to your source for that...we didn't see any. ;)

Well, VFA-101 did arrive in NAS Jacksonville from Eglin AFB, and are scheduled to be at Jacksonville until August 31st...

USNFalconCraft

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:33 pm

I'm just here to see them Super Hornets/Rhinos in action, otherwise the movie will probably be full cheese.

F-14 Tomcat will always remain a classic though.

Tugger

Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:21 pm

USNFalconCraft wrote:
I'm just here to see them Super Hornets/Rhinos in action, otherwise the movie will probably be full cheese.

F-14 Tomcat will always remain a classic though.

I am sure the video game will have the option to fly as the F-14....

Ahh the modern world...

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

FlyHossD

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:50 pm

LMP737 wrote:

Thank you.

This made me recall a nearly 70 year old DC-10 flight engineer who admitted to me that he had 3 ex-wives and was paying alimony to each. When I reminded him that he could probably end that if he just retired, he said, "Yes, I know. But I still kind of like all three of them."

Oh well.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

trpmb6

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:18 pm

Ed Harris and Jon Hamm are joining the team. http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/23 ... -top-gun-2

Anyone who just wrapped up watching Westworld Season 2 knows how awesome Ed Harris still is.

Kilmer better work on that gut. But I guess I should work on mine too before criticizing him.

Ozair

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:03 pm

estorilm wrote:

However the interesting thing is that a full squadron of F-35C's also arrived on the USS Abraham Lincoln for carrier training ops on Wednesday.

A photo from the Lincoln.

estorilm
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:51 pm

Ozair wrote:
estorilm wrote:

However the interesting thing is that a full squadron of F-35C's also arrived on the USS Abraham Lincoln for carrier training ops on Wednesday.

A photo from the Lincoln.

I saw that! Full cyclic F-35C operations with an air wing on a Nimitz supercarrier.. HUGE moment for the Navy - I just can't imagine that footage doesn't get into the movie.

Got to be vindicating for the crews, test pilots, LM, engineers, etc to finally see them being "thrown around" at full speed carrier ops doing what they're meant to do. Sounds like they're doing well too (minus the helmet glow thing). Pretty awesome.

scbriml

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:00 am

Film release has been delayed by a year. I'm trying to hide my disappointment. :wink2:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45353866
Top Gun: Maverick's release date has been delayed by a year because of "logistical reasons".

Paramount had the date originally set for July 2019, but fans will now be waiting until June 2020 to see the film.

Teaser?

The time will be used to work on film sequences using new technology and planes according to the studio.

At least Kilmer gets another year to lose half his body weight.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

estorilm
Topic Author

Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:44 pm

scbriml wrote:
Film release has been delayed by a year. I'm trying to hide my disappointment. :wink2:

Top Gun: Maverick's release date has been delayed by a year because of "logistical reasons".

Paramount had the date originally set for July 2019, but fans will now be waiting until June 2020 to see the film.

Teaser?

The time will be used to work on film sequences using new technology and planes according to the studio.

Wow - that came out of nowhere.

Although July '19 seemed impossible when they're just getting out there looking at some of these planes this month.

I think it's safe to say that the F-35's role just became a little larger as well. ;)

Tugger

Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:56 pm

Plot:
Old school Maverick, grew up on the F-14, moved to the F-18, now challenged by young whippersnappers who fly tech... the F-35
The tech flyers think new and technology solves all and kill off the old and the old has no chance.
You know classic young/new vs old/tested theme.
Conflict ensues.
In the end Mav is saved by the tech boys but in turn then saves the day and others in the F-35 (sacrificing himself? :scratchchin: At least one of the "old guys" has to die, probably Ice who Mav now loves like a brother).
By the end they all learn mutual respect for each other.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

WIederling

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:08 pm

Tugger wrote:
By the end they all learn mutual respect for each other.

Cumbaja around Aretha's grave?
Murphy is an optimist

Devilfish

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:45 am

scbriml wrote:
Teaser?

I had read that the adversary aircraft was not quite ready yet. :wink2:

https://media.mehrnews.com/d/2017/04/15/4/2431555.jpg
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

estorilm
Topic Author

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:49 pm

This is pretty cool...
Tom cruise flew his personal P-51 to Lockheed's plant for a tour this week. 8-)

aumaverick

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:14 pm

PhotoShop, or perhaps a good "leak" of information as an appetizer while we wait an extra year? Anyone want to bite on if this is really the jet Maverick will fly?
https://theaviationist.com/2018/09/13/i ... un-sequel/
I'm just here so I won't get fined. - Marshawn Lynch

estorilm
Topic Author

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:25 pm

aumaverick wrote:
PhotoShop, or perhaps a good "leak" of information as an appetizer while we wait an extra year? Anyone want to bite on if this is really the jet Maverick will fly?

I was so caught up in the P-51 and the delay that I forgot to post that. Most don't seem to like it - it might look okay on film though. Seems legit to me, although a few people think it could be for promo-purposes only and not really what will be in the film.

They're also curious why it's shot down three of their own F-18s under the canopy. :lol:

RJMAZ

Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:23 am

Like the original poster I was 2 years old when Top Gun came out.

My Dad made a childrens edit cutting out the romance which went for around an hour.

What aircraft will be acting as the enemy this time? Any privately owned mig-29's?

Devilfish

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:31 pm

estorilm wrote:

I guess damage to the Rose Garden is inconsequential during a siege, but this rules out the White House lawn landing scenario in #10. But then again, where would Mav sit his charge in an F-35C...in the bomb bay :confused:

RJMAZ wrote:
What aircraft will be acting as the enemy this time? Any privately owned mig-29's?

That could mean the action will be outside CONUS as it would be stretching incredulity that MiG-29s managed to penetrate U.S. air defenses without being blown into smithereens over the sea. Unless a handful of aggressor frames on training sorties fell into the hands of rogue pilots and somehow fitted with live munitions. :scratchchin: Besides, wonder about the appeal of 4th Gen fighters to the masses of Millenial moviegoers weaned on joysticks and remote buttons as opposed to us dodgy old farts. :old:

Fulcrums vs Super Bugs is a bit unsporting. OTOH, stealth on stealth promises to be a humdinger :!: :hyper:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

LMP737

Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Here's some pictures of "Mavericks" personalized Hornet.

Can't help but notice the victory silhouettes look an awfully like a Hornet. Maybe a nod to the F-14? ;)

777PHX

Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:49 am

scbriml wrote:

Teaser?

He lost the weight a while ago while he was fighting throat cancer.

Max Q

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:01 pm

Dont forget Toms booster seat
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

aumaverick

Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:38 pm

Looks like Maverick himself and his doppelganger pilot stopped by NAS Fallon with Mav's own F-18.
http://www.tmz.com/2018/09/17/tom-cruis ... -maverick/

aumaverick

Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:29 pm

A few more additional pieces of intel, including Mav's new motorcycle and a few new shots of Mav's F-18.
https://theaviationist.com/2018/09/20/i ... e-we-cant/

FlyingSicilian

Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:04 am

Top Gun 2 - Maverick fights the V.A. for benefits
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

Mortyman

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:24 pm

Surprised / Dissepointed that they chose to use the F-18 for this. Should have gone for the F-35C

Ozair

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:16 pm

TheF15Ace wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ade7YuZYk6M

We have a trailer 8-)

I'm excited. Looks less A2A than number one.

Mortyman wrote:
Surprised / Dissepointed that they chose to use the F-18 for this. Should have gone for the F-35C

Kind of makes sense though given the F-35C won't be on a carrier for its first cruise until 2021.

flyingturtle

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:50 pm

Mortyman wrote:

For the previous film, they haven't used the newest metal, too. (Top Gun was released in 1986, the F-18 entered USN service in 1984.)

jupiter2

Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:00 pm

Can we just have 2 hours of aircraft footage and no Tom ?

bmartino99

Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:12 pm

Why is he in a high altitude flight suit? Any one have any ideas?

TheF15Ace

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:49 am

Ozair wrote:
TheF15Ace wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ade7YuZYk6M

We have a trailer 8-)

I'm excited. Looks less A2A than number one.

Maybe Mav will fly the strike mission trench run style while the new hotshot pilot(s?) provide top cover :D

jupiter2

Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:32 am

bmartino99 wrote:
Why is he in a high altitude flight suit? Any one have any ideas?

It was just a casual shot of Tom getting ready for the Hubbard space craft to arrive and whisk Tom off to a better place far away from the rest of us.

Armadillo1

Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:14 am

any movie about air combat constrainedly has very stupid plot and air combat itself, because real air combat cant be shown in movie.
just like this:
https://imgur.com/gallery/hpW5KVc

and holliwood has been outmatched in this special olimpic times ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wOjyJr51z8

may be this one will be more funny:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5YM3aj6qww

Max Q

Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:19 am

Is little Tom still dangerous ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

flyingturtle

Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:49 am

Armadillo1 wrote:
and holliwood has been outmatched in this special olimpic times ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wOjyJr51z8

Oh, sweet buttery baby jesus... :eyepopping: :eyepopping: :eyepopping:

I like this shit.

dragon-wings

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:37 am

It looks like they didn't over do it with the CGI stuff which is a good thing.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

CHRISBA35X

Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:09 pm

Cant wait for this.

Items to note -

1 - Maverick's own P-51 makes an appearance.
2 - there is a Tomcat after all, right in the end of the trailer.
3 - its mostly filmed and not CGI according to reports I've read so the flying sequences should be incredible
4 - Mav has a high altitude flight suit and helmet in one of the sequences, and appears to have the collar for one on when he is talking to Ed Harris earlier. Its not a cockpit I recognise - not an F-22 or F-35, not a U2 either...

casinterest

Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:18 pm

Being an aviation enthusiast, and having watched this movie as a kid, and still have soft spot for it's entertainment value, I loved the original.

Initially I thought "Why the Hell are they doing this?"

After watching the trailer, I am actually interested in seeing it. The fighter scenes are Amazing, and are we sure that Tom Cruise is not a vampire?
Where ever you go, there you are.