SQ22

Re: Top Gun 2: Maverick - Aircraft, filming, production & rumors thread

Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:25 pm

I have moved this thread to Non-Av, for a movie this seems to be the better place for further discussions.

bmartino99

Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:59 pm

CHRISBA35X wrote:
Cant wait for this.

Items to note -

1 - Maverick's own P-51 makes an appearance.
2 - there is a Tomcat after all, right in the end of the trailer.
3 - its mostly filmed and not CGI according to reports I've read so the flying sequences should be incredible
4 - Mav has a high altitude flight suit and helmet in one of the sequences, and appears to have the collar for one on when he is talking to Ed Harris earlier. Its not a cockpit I recognise - not an F-22 or F-35, not a U2 either...

Looks like something stealthy. We know they are making this movie for children and young adults of the 1980's, maybe they're going to throw in something like the rumored Aurora / SR-91 for fun.

estorilm
Topic Author

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:05 pm

CHRISBA35X wrote:
Cant wait for this.

Items to note -

3 - its mostly filmed and not CGI according to reports I've read so the flying sequences should be incredible
4 - Mav has a high altitude flight suit and helmet in one of the sequences, and appears to have the collar for one on when he is talking to Ed Harris earlier. Its not a cockpit I recognise - not an F-22 or F-35, not a U2 either...

Yup - BUT I've talked to a few navy pilots and they all seem to be in agreement that the desert sequence as well as the diamond formation are all real, and most likely performed by current or former Blue Angels Navy hornet drivers. They were pretty shocked at the footage and are psyched for the movie also, which is good to hear - sounds like they done the USN justice so far.

The F-14 at the end looked really good FWIW.

Mortyman wrote:
Surprised / Dissepointed that they chose to use the F-18 for this. Should have gone for the F-35C

It will, I'm 99.99% sure - there were multiple reports of film crews working on active carriers during the exact same timeframe when F-35C test/eval/training units deployed to the same carrier. This was also a huge part of the delay in filming for the movie (lack of operational / test F-35 units they could get footage with).

This isn't just a small change in direction for the USN, the F-35 represents the future for every branch of our (and many others') military. Considering the cost/hr of flying these things, I'd imagine the USN REQUIRED the film to feature their new plane in the film (again - part of the delays.)

cjg225

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:12 pm

So... does the F-14 at the end mean that there will be a fight with Iran in this?
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

Tugger

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:16 pm

I couldn't not see them using Tom in the back seat of a tandem as if it were supposed to be a single seater. The canopy space felt wrong so that was distracting to me.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

bmartino99

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:21 pm

estorilm wrote:
CHRISBA35X wrote:
Cant wait for this.

Items to note -

Yup - BUT I've talked to a few navy pilots and they all seem to be in agreement that the desert sequence as well as the diamond formation are all real, and most likely performed by current or former Blue Angels Navy hornet drivers. They were pretty shocked at the footage and are psyched for the movie also, which is good to hear - sounds like they done the USN justice so far.

The desert sequence looks good. Reminds me of this:
https://youtu.be/SEzrWnMQ040

They do show the airspeed indicating 600 knots. That might be a little too fast for a high G pull up, you'd have to ask those Navy pilots you know.

estorilm
Topic Author

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:29 pm

bmartino99 wrote:
estorilm wrote:
CHRISBA35X wrote:
Cant wait for this.

Items to note -

They do show the airspeed indicating 600 knots. That might be a little too fast for a high G pull up, you'd have to ask those Navy pilots you know.

Actually I watched a video from the Fighter Pilot Podcast this morning who mentioned that (I think he was an instructor at Top Gun) and said it looked like it would over-stress the plane, but either way.. I'm pretty sure it was real. I think the super hornet won't let you over stress will it?

Pretty sure he also mentioned that exact 'Blues run in the video you posted haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6aAhfyWwNc

bmartino99

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:39 pm

estorilm wrote:
bmartino99 wrote:
estorilm wrote:

Actually I watched a video from the Fighter Pilot Podcast this morning who mentioned that (I think he was an instructor at Top Gun) and said it looked like it would over-stress the plane, but either way.. I'm pretty sure it was real. I think the super hornet won't let you over stress will it?

Pretty sure he also mentioned that exact 'Blues run in the video you posted haha.

Looks like its limited to 7.5 G.

estorilm
Topic Author

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:46 pm

bmartino99 wrote:
estorilm wrote:
bmartino99 wrote:

Looks like its limited to 7.5 G.

On paper sure, but we'd assume it was empty so 7.5 minimum - I don't think that graph takes into account instantaneous vs. sustained G either, this was obviously a quick maneuver.

I wasn't convinced it was 100% real - even with the perfect dust flow from the wake vortex, but the way the vapes form off the chines of the F-18 the second he loads it up and pulls kinda push me over the edge into convincing territory.

redzeppelin

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:51 pm

bmartino99 wrote:
Why is he in a high altitude flight suit? Any one have any ideas?

HALO jump to steal an F-14 from Iran? Crossover with the Mission Impossible franchise.

slider

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:55 pm

estorilm wrote:
bmartino99 wrote:
estorilm wrote:

That was a good video--the guy just banged through it, didn't drag it out, shared his thoughts. Pretty cool.

And good geographical notation that Fightertown looks like it was filmed at North Island NAS...given where the water is, Point Loma, etc.

Loved the trailer. Can't wait for this!

Tugger

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:55 pm

estorilm wrote:
I wasn't convinced it was 100% real - even with the perfect dust flow from the wake vortex, but the way the vapes form off the chines of the F-18 the second he loads it up and pulls kinda push me over the edge into convincing territory.

Oh, I am pretty sure it is real. No need to fake as they have been doing it for years at airshows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSsXnFw8JLs

The question is the actual speed at which it was performed. I agree with others that it is not 600kts.... (more like 200?)

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

casinterest

Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:29 pm

Looking around the internet, I found this funny audition for Rob Riggle Comedian and USMC Reserve.

Wonder if he will be in the movie or not :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8zhQpU2mtQ
Where ever you go, there you are.

estorilm
Topic Author

Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:29 pm

Tugger wrote:
estorilm wrote:

Oh, I am pretty sure it is real. No need to fake as they have been doing it for years at airshows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSsXnFw8JLs

The question is the actual speed at which it was performed. I agree with others that it is not 600kts.... (more like 200?)

Tugg

Exactly - I fly to a lot of the air shows in a WWII Avenger and drag all my camera equipment out each time, Oceana especially (last year it was humid and the entire Air Power Demo plus the Tac Demo, as well as the Blues.. were all "vaping" like crazy!)

I just wasn't sure if it could do it structurally the way they portray the speed in the shot, but probably just a good job editing. Likely a high-speed shot followed by a lower speed max-performance pull-up shot edited together. Pretty badass either way. :twisted:

LMP737

Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:45 am

I noticed part of it's set and in San Diego at NAS North Island as NAS Miramar is now MCAS Miramar. Hornets are not actually based at North Island, NAS Lemoore however just plain sucks. ;)
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

Alfons

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:26 am

by the talks with Harris in the trailer, looks like there will be a lot of CGI shots with some kind of latest generation airplane flying together with autonomous unmanned wingmen. Or I'm completely wrong. :-)

DL717

Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:49 pm

scbriml wrote:
Oh dear. Some things are best left in the past.

Yeah, if that trailer is any indicator, this has Velveeta written all over it.

Not to be outdone by Star Wars, they include a shot of the fighter 10 feet off the deck in the desert. Doesn’t appear to be anyone with a lightsaber in the way though. :rotfl:
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

flyingturtle

Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:56 pm

DL717 wrote:
Not to be outdone by Star Wars, they include a shot of the fighter 10 feet off the deck in the desert.

I honestly expected the red flashy thingy we all know from KITT.
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

tomcat

Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:30 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
Mortyman wrote:
Surprised / Dissepointed that they chose to use the F-18 for this. Should have gone for the F-35C

For the previous film, they haven't used the newest metal, too. (Top Gun was released in 1986, the F-18 entered USN service in 1984.)

The F-18 would have run out of fuel before they could have shot any scene.

morrisond

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:46 pm

My thought on the Helmet - They need to shoot down a satellite (that controls the enemy drones) and they bring an F14 out of retirement as the F18 doesn't have enough performance to zoom climb and make the shot with an ASAT weapon.

checksixx

Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:01 am

estorilm wrote:

Former Blue Angel in the seat, 30ft AGL, multiple passes over the desert for the shots, no photo shop or tricks.

DIRECTFLT

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:08 am

Conan O'Brien talks with Tom Cruise about the upcoming Top Gun movie:

https://youtu.be/XM2wOZ4f5Ts
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

MGC1191

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:51 am

LMP737 wrote:
Having been in the Navy I can't help but smile when I see the captains insignia on his shoulder. Given the time frame involved "Maverick" would have around thirty five years, if not more, behind him in his Naval career. Which means he should have Admirals stars on his shoulder by now and be flying a desk. As an officer if you don't make promotions in a certain time frame you retire. But, it's Hollywood and there's money to be made.

A more realistic movie would be Mav flying for an airline on his second or possibly third marriage. ;)

I feel like somebody working on the film read this comment and made sure to point it out in the trailer.

estorilm
Topic Author

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:03 pm

checksixx wrote:
estorilm wrote:

Former Blue Angel in the seat, 30ft AGL, multiple passes over the desert for the shots, no photo shop or tricks.

Awesome - yeah that's what the hornet driver in the link I posted above figured, most of the shots were current/former 'Blues. The low/sneak pass and the diamond especially. Why not? Perfect use of some of the most impressive aviator skill sets out there and they lend themselves to cinema very well in this case. Plus the back story is a double bonus for the Navy - "yeah, they were real shots.. yeah, they were real naval aviators, the best - Blue Angels pilots" 8-)

slider

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:55 pm

LMP737 wrote:
I noticed part of it's set and in San Diego at NAS North Island as NAS Miramar is now MCAS Miramar. Hornets are not actually based at North Island, NAS Lemoore however just plain sucks. ;)

I saw that too and someone commented about that on another site I visited. They put up a Miramar sign at North Island...clear as day too because you can see Point Loma off to the right of that shot.

LMP737

Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:09 am

slider wrote:

I saw that too and someone commented about that on another site I visited. They put up a Miramar sign at North Island...clear as day too because you can see Point Loma off to the right of that shot.

Having spent a week at NAS Lemoore back in the day I can attest to the fact that North Island is much more scenic. lol
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

ArchGuy1

Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:24 am

It has already been filmed at a number of naval bases in the United States.

gunsontheroof

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:06 am

This looks much cooler than the version I had in mind where Maverick is going through his third divorce, fighting the VA and flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong...
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.