Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:04 pm

Pearl Jam.

Prove me wrong.

Dutchy

Re: The Correct 90's grunge band?

Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:04 pm

Nirvana

You have been proven wrong. :lol:
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

northstardc4m

Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:06 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Nirvana

You have been proven wrong. :lol:

I have to agree :checkeredflag:
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

TSS

Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:16 pm

I like Pearl Jam, I like Nirvana as well, but as far as "mainstream"/successful Grunge bands go, I gotta cast my vote for Alice In Chains.

In the semi-obscure category, in that they did have a radio hit or two and contributed a song to a major motion picture soundtrack yet no-one seems to remember them, probably because they were one of those bands who could stick together through anything except success, I cast my vote for Screaming Trees.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

jetwet1

Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:47 pm

STP

DL717

Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:25 pm

None. Grunge sucked, lasted a week and will never be heared from again. Pearl Jam only does we’ll because the rest are dead.

It can be argued that grunge actually destroyed rock. Name a band since then that has lasted more than a week. Now it Rappop and Chickpop. All sounds the same. Completely disposable music. Bands still kicking it from the 70s and 80s tour together because they can’t even find a halfway decent opening act. Thank God they are still around.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

vikkyvik

Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:28 pm

DL717 wrote:
None. Grunge sucked, lasted a week and will never be heared from again. Pearl Jam only does we’ll because the rest are dead.

:rotfl:

Well, "grunge" (kind of a silly term, since a lot of those bands are quite different from each other) bands are certainly still around. Alice in Chains, Soundgarden up until recently, STP, etc.

DL717 wrote:
It can be argued that grunge actually destroyed rock.

No. Grunge destroyed '80s hair-metal, thank the lord.

DL717 wrote:
Bands still kicking it from the 70s and 80s tour together because they can’t even find a halfway decent opening act.

No. Bands from the 70s and 80s tour together because 1.) they might not sell out arenas on their own, and 2.) they have very overlapping audiences anyway.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

MassAppeal

Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:35 pm

DL717 wrote:

It can be argued that grunge actually destroyed rock. Name a band since then that has lasted more than a week. Now it Rappop and Chickpop. All sounds the same. Completely disposable music. Bands still kicking it from the 70s and 80s tour together because they can’t even find a halfway decent opening act. Thank God they are still around.

They tour together because their fan base is rapidly dying off from diabetes, heart disease and old age so they have to in order to fill the country fair stadium all the way up.

ChrisKen

Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:57 pm

Butthole Surfers

ER757

Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:31 pm

Pearl Jam's stood the test of time, but I'll vote for Soundgarden.

stlgph

Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:21 am

No, bands/groups/singers of *all* genres tour together because people feel they get more value spending $100+ on tickets to see 2 names on the same night. There were plenty of double pairings on the road this summer across all genres

Poison/Cheap Trick
Journey/Def Leppard
Rod Stewart/Cyndi Lauper
Breaking Benjamin/Five Finger Death Punch
Kesha/Mackelmore
Lady Antebellum/Darius Rucker
Godsmack/Shinedown
Deep Purple/Judas Priest
Evanescence/Lindsey Stirling

and the answer is Hole.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

UltimateDelta

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:55 am

Pearl Jam is the only incorrect answer.

STP, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and early Smashing Pumpkins all the way.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

BlueberryWheats
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:12 am

UltimateDelta wrote:

Blasphemy!

UltimateDelta wrote:
early Smashing Pumpkins all the way.

This redeemed you.

For me, Pearl Jam will always be favourite. But this thread has put me in mood to build a new playlist for driving to. Starting with PJ's best song... Black. Then Smashing Pumpkins Zero.

whosee

Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:16 am

Who is Alice In Chains.

Alex Trebec: "You are correct!"

Layne Staley had amazing vocals!
Last edited by whosee on Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

airkas1
Head Screener

Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:25 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:
Pearl Jam.

:checkmark:

mad99

Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:21 am

Mudhoney

EstherLouise

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:26 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:
Pearl Jam.

Prove me wrong.

Eddie Vedder sings like he's constipated.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

DL717

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:19 am

stlgph wrote:
No, bands/groups/singers of *all* genres tour together because people feel they get more value spending $100+ on tickets to see 2 names on the same night. There were plenty of double pairings on the road this summer across all genres

Journey/Def Leppard

$100? LOL. Try $250 for this one.

The only ones legit on your list are these guys and Deep Purple/Judas Priest.

MassAppeal wrote:
DL717 wrote:

They tour together because their fan base is rapidly dying off from diabetes, heart disease and old age so they have to in order to fill the country fair stadium all the way up.

Wrong. Their tours are getting larger every year for several of them. They’ve been touring alone for years selling places out. A couple are still putting out new material. Some never stopped.

ChrisKen wrote:
Butthole Surfers

I don’t know if you can get away with this name today without someone getting triggered.

TSS

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:40 am

DL717 wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:
Butthole Surfers

I don’t know if you can get away with this name today without someone getting triggered.

That is the name of the band, a name I'm sure the Butthole Surfers chose because it would trigger some people.

If I was going to get triggered by them, it would be because Kurt Cobain met his downfall in the form of the ever-charming and delightful Courtney Love at a Butthole Surfers concert.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

DL717

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:50 am

TSS wrote:
DL717 wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:
Butthole Surfers

That is the name of the band, a name I'm sure the Butthole Surfers chose because it would trigger some people.

If I was going to get triggered by them, it would be because Kurt Cobain met his downfall in the form of the ever-charming and delightful Courtney Love at a Butthole Surfers concert.

Ouch.

AeroVega

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:30 am

Surprised nobody mentioned Mother Love Bone. My vote goes to Alice In Chains, though. Their Jar Of Flies album is fantastic, but not really grunge at all...

nwadeicer

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:02 pm

DL717 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Journey/Def Leppard

$100? LOL. Try $250 for this one.

The only ones legit on your list are these guys and Deep Purple/Judas Priest.

MassAppeal wrote:
DL717 wrote:

Wrong. Their tours are getting larger every year for several of them. They’ve been touring alone for years selling places out. A couple are still putting out new material. Some never stopped.

ChrisKen wrote:
Butthole Surfers

You paid 250.00 for that hot mess? No Steve Perry, no Journey. Def Lep should have called it quits years ago. Joe Elliott’ voice is shot, hell last years tour he was busted for using canned vocals. Unless you had absolutely nothing to do and were given free lawn seats you got scammed.
No Ritchie Blackmore, no Deep Purple. Ian Gillan? See Joe Elliott. Judas Priest is not Judas Priest without KK Downing and Glenn Tipton up there. Glenn left for health reasons and KK for financial. Halfords voice is gone and he meanders around the stage like a sloth. I’ll remember them when I saw them with Iron Maiden in 1982. THAT was Judas Priest.
If I pursed my mouth and put 20 marbles in there, I could sing like Eddie Vedder too! I’ll take AIC, Soundgarden in that category. Although I do like some Temple of the Dog.

Lastly, Steve Perry has a new cd out on Oct 5 titled No Erasin. Heard a few songs, the man still has the voice.
I miss the Red Tail

DIRECTFLT

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:22 pm

TSS wrote:
I like Pearl Jam, I like Nirvana as well, but as far as "mainstream"/successful Grunge bands go, I gotta cast my vote for Alice In Chains.

UltimateDelta wrote:

STP, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and early Smashing Pumpkins all the way.

whosee wrote:
Who is Alice In Chains.

Alex Trebec: "You are correct!"

Layne Staley had amazing vocals!

EstherLouise wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:
Pearl Jam.

Prove me wrong.

Eddie Vedder sings like he's constipated.

Tell me again why this site doesn't allow YouTube Preview Images...

The Layne Staley AIC gets my Vote.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

DL717

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:30 pm

nwadeicer wrote:
Joe Elliott’ voice is shot, hell last years tour he was busted for using canned vocals.

You're funny. He almost shredded his vocal cords so had to take time off, but they don't lip sync. Sorry.

nwadeicer

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:31 pm

No, not at all.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zd7M1Q6tMBE

Funny watching some of those clips. Almost like watching somebody and listening to the Mirrorball cd at the same time.
I miss the Red Tail

DL717

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:46 pm

nwadeicer wrote:
No, not at all.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zd7M1Q6tMBE

Funny watching some of those clips. Almost like watching somebody and listening to the Mirrorball cd at the same time.

You must have really searched hard for this one:

http://www.melodicrock.com/phorum52/rea ... 53,1034471

Is there a penalty for plagiarism in here:

http://www.melodicrock.com/phorum52/rea ... sg-1034453

nwadeicer

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:50 pm

DL717 wrote:
nwadeicer wrote:
Joe Elliott’ voice is shot, hell last years tour he was busted for using canned vocals.

but they don't lip sync. Sorry.

So, you’re wrong then.
I miss the Red Tail

nwadeicer

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:54 pm

Actually my main source for music info and entertainment is MetalSludge and to a lesser extent blabbermouth. I’ve heard of melodirock, never visited it before. From reading some of the input I think I’ll pass.
I miss the Red Tail

DL717

Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:49 am

nwadeicer wrote:
Actually my main source for music info and entertainment is MetalSludge and to a lesser extent blabbermouth. I’ve heard of melodirock, never visited it before. From reading some of the input I think I’ll pass.

Your choice. He doesn’t lip sync. His voice is decidedly hoarse and they play everything in a lower key to compensate for it. Feel free to browse YouTube.