Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Airstud
Topic Author
Posts: 4934
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

The correct Australian city

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:29 am

is Perth.
 
User avatar
RetroRoo
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:29 pm

Re: The correct Australian city

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:44 am

if you're extremely easily impressed.
 
User avatar
vhqpa
Posts: 1766
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:21 pm

Re: The correct Australian city

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:51 am

As a visitor I'm partial to Adelaide. Good food, good wine, good weather most of the time.

To live Brisbane suits me fine. The only thing I don't like are the humid summers.
 
User avatar
RetroRoo
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:29 pm

Re: The correct Australian city

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:57 am

And before people pipe up with talk of coffee and laneways in the world's second-most liveable city (the flat plain that hosts Victoria's capital city), Sydney is clearly Australia's primo metropolis.

*Mods: Please close thread. Question answered.
 
Ken777
Posts: 10184
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:39 am

Re: The correct Australian city

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:40 am

Really a difficult choice. I lived in Perth for 8 years with the family and consider it a pretty spectacular city. Adelaide is just about the perfect town (too small to be a city IMO). Canberra is fine if you don't like the beach, love politics and small towns, etc.

Sydney IS spectacular, but at that price it should be. The Harbour is incredible, the train system is actually pretty good. The road system is antiquated and overpriced.

All in all, I'll take Perth. Living a mile and a half from the beach, easy commuting to the CBD 6 days a week and affordable housing (in the old days) made it perfect for us,
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 11341
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: The correct Australian city

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:44 am

Melbourne.

Tugg
 
Airstud
Topic Author
Posts: 4934
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: The correct Australian city

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:46 am

RetroRoo wrote:
Sydney


Beaten path much? :sarcastic:

Ken777 wrote:
I lived in Perth...and consider it a pretty spectacular city.


Which, is what I said basically.
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2654
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: The correct Australian city

Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:33 am

RetroRoo wrote:
And before people pipe up with talk of coffee and laneways in the world's second-most liveable city (the flat plain that hosts Victoria's capital city), Sydney is clearly Australia's primo metropolis.

*Mods: Please close thread. Question answered.


Yes Mods, please close this thread. It's nonsense. Every answer is correct. Every answer is incorrect. IT's Evil.
 
Airstud
Topic Author
Posts: 4934
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: The correct Australian city

Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:59 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Yes Mods, please close this thread. It's nonsense. Every answer is correct.


Well no, really just the first one - and Ken's.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23891
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: The correct Australian city

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:00 am

Broken Hill. There is a K-Mart in Broken Hill. At least they know what a frock is.
 
User avatar
RetroRoo
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:29 pm

Re: The correct Australian city

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:12 am

Airstud wrote:
RetroRoo wrote:
Sydney


Beaten path much? :sarcastic:


People tend to beat a path to somewhere worth travelling to, so...
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 13578
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: The correct Australian city

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:27 am

There’s isn’t one, the correct Australasian City is Auckland!
 
User avatar
FlightMode
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:45 am

Re: The correct Australian city

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:02 am

As a resident of Perth, I might be seen as biased. So I'll suggest Canberra.

It has a wonderful road system. You can drive around the city for days and never get to see it. :wink2:
 
JJJ
Posts: 4108
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Re: The correct Australian city

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:39 am

vhqpa wrote:
As a visitor I'm partial to Adelaide. Good food, good wine, good weather most of the time.


And we have a winner.
 
bunumuring
Posts: 2555
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Re: The correct Australian city

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:17 pm

1. Sydney
2. Adelaide
3. Canberra
4. Hobart
5. Melbourne
6. Townsville
7. Perth
8. Newcastle
9. Darwin
10. Brisbane

Cheers
Bunumuring
 
Nicoeddf
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:13 am

Re: The correct Australian city

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:30 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
There’s isn’t one, the correct Australasian City is Auckland!


As in the most boring place in Australasia, surely.
 
Nicoeddf
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:13 am

Re: The correct Australian city

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:30 pm

Double post
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 3018
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: The correct Australian city

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:41 pm

The correct location to be in Australia is Lake Disappointment. There's a couple ways to get to it. But I think the best route is probably flying into the strip mine at Telfer and driving south. Have to commandeer a vehicle of course... Suppose you could probably just land on the salt flat with a bush plane really.
 
LGAviation
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:14 am

Re: The correct Australian city

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:48 pm

As some one who has only lived in Sydney for a couple of months but who has visited VIC, ACT, WA, NT and QLD.

Perceived liveability

Sydney - except for the prices and the buses
Melbourne - way too cold, plus not too much of a fan of those little alleyways and coffee culture
Perth - really loved the city and its beaches only that three hours flight to anywhere is probably a bit too much for me
Cairns - the reef, the weather
Canberra - too provincial, too car-dependant, too sterile, too cold
Gold Coast - too touristy and not even properly for a supposed beach destination warm year round
Darwin - if only they built a proper lagoon in the shade, there was one fella from the outback who walked straight in with all his bush gear on
Brisbane - no real coastal access, riverwalk is kinda nice but it always be in the shadow of Sydney and Melbourne
in that order


I'd love to visit Adelaide the next time I go
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 13578
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: The correct Australian city

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:13 pm

Nicoeddf wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
There’s isn’t one, the correct Australasian City is Auckland!


As in the most boring place in Australasia, surely.


That’s Tasmania
 
User avatar
FlightMode
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:45 am

Re: The correct Australian city

Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:47 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
There’s isn’t one, the correct Australasian City is Auckland!


As in the most boring place in Australasia, surely.


That’s Tasmania



I kid you not, we actually have a place in Western Australia called Damboring ! (although it's pronounced more like Dambring) :smile:
 
aviationaware
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: The correct Australian city

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:14 am

Only Sydney has City Gym, so there can be only one choice.
 
User avatar
DL717
Posts: 2373
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: The correct Australian city

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:43 am

Nicoeddf wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
There’s isn’t one, the correct Australasian City is Auckland!


As in the most boring place in Australasia, surely.


Wanna be Aussies.

Brisbane is my answer, but Perth is nice too. Sydney’s nice with some pretty cool experiences, but it feels like any other large city. I really can’t think of anyplace in a Australia that could be deemed a dripping bag. Maybe Uluru/Ayers. Hot as effing hell out there when we went, but cool to see.

Nicoeddf wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
There’s isn’t one, the correct Australasian City is Auckland!


As in the most boring place in Australasia, surely.


Too much time on the island. They also like to stick their noses in other peoples shit. Pretencious as hell. It’s the biggest small town I’ve ever visited. Christchurch is alright though. Kiwirob is alright, but I think he’s been staring across the pond trying to see Australia for too long.
 
bunumuring
Posts: 2555
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Re: The correct Australian city

Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:46 pm

aviationaware wrote:
Only Sydney has City Gym, so there can be only one choice.


Hey mate,
As a famous/infamous Aussie once said.... "please explain!"
Cheers
Bunumuring
 
aviationaware
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: The correct Australian city

Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:14 pm

bunumuring wrote:
aviationaware wrote:
Only Sydney has City Gym, so there can be only one choice.


Hey mate,
As a famous/infamous Aussie once said.... "please explain!"
Cheers
Bunumuring


https://www.citygym.com.au

That wasn't too difficult to google though was it?
 
bunumuring
Posts: 2555
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Re: The correct Australian city

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:40 pm

Lol mate, but what's its significance to YOU?
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 22230
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: The correct Australian city

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:16 pm

Airstud wrote:
is Perth.


You misspelled "Melbourne."
 
bunumuring
Posts: 2555
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Re: The correct Australian city

Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:45 pm

DocLightning wrote:
"Melbourne."


I grew up in Sydney but most of my relatives lived in Melbourne. I hated Melbourne because ALL of our holidays were spent there visiting relatives until I was old enough to be left at home alone. I always longed to go to Queensland or Tasmania or ANYWHERE other than Melbourne for a holiday.
As a result of my extensive trips over a long time to Melbourne I did a major research paper at university on Sydney-Melbourne rivalry....
Now, as an adult, I appreciate Melbourne. I love it's cafe culture and arts scene which are both better than Sydney. And I truly enjoy plane-spotting at Tullamarine, Essendon Fields and the wildly inconsistent Avalon.
However, I am firm in the belief that Sydney Is THE Australian city, no competition and no correspondence to be entered into, lol.
Cheers
Bunumuring
 
melpax
Posts: 2167
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:13 am

Re: The correct Australian city

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:30 pm

The correct Australian city has to be Melbourne!
Our coffee rocks (there is a reason why Starbucks were virtually run out of town here...) Virtually every cuisine is represented by multiple resturants.
Sport. You would be hard pressed to find another city that has as much major sporting events spread out during the year. Multiple international Cricket matches in the summer (Boxing Day test). Aus Open tennis, F1 Grand Prix, Superbikes, A league Soccer, the AFL season, culminating in the AFL grand final, major horse races during the year, with the Spring Racing Carnival including the Melbourne Cup & Oaks Day - Cup week is a big party week here. There is a major sporting event virtually every weekend, usually multiple events happening.
Lots of cool, funky small bars. If you don't like the bar you're at, there'll usually be a better one around the corner!
As much as we like to diss them, the road & train networks are very good, and money is finally starting to be spent on these.

There are no real 'no go zones', even though the media likes to scaremonger about the crime rate. We are now a city of 5 million, and a lot of folks (my parents included) are having trouble coming to terms that we're now a major world city, and no longer a provincial backwater. If you want the quiet, unrushed & uncrowded Melbourne of the 80's & 90's, there is Adelaide for that!!
 
Airstud
Topic Author
Posts: 4934
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: The correct Australian city

Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:03 pm

See, I said PERTH over here, people...
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 4654
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: The correct Australian city

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:27 pm

It's not Sydney:

    - Too expensive.
    - Too much traffic.
    - Airport has a curfew.
    - Too crowded.
    - I can't think of any adjectives that can accurately describe Western Sydney.
    - The harbour is nice though; like a slightly better/smaller version of Auckland. Bondi, Coogee and Maroubra are all really nice though.

It's not Melbourne:
    -Too expensive (nearly as bad as Sydney).
    - Too many smokers (the difference between SYD and MEL is quite noticeable).
    - Too far between the CBD and airport.
    - Thunderstorm Asthma.
    - Most of the CBD on the North Bank between Southern Cross, Fitzroy and Federation Square gives off really bad vibes.
    - I've been assaulted, spat at, had bottles thrown at me far too many times. The frequency that stuff like this occurs after dark in Melbourne is just crazy - this never happens in Sydney.
    - Too much influence from Crown and The Packers.
    - Way too many homeless people along Swanston Street and outside Flinders Street Station is crazy.
    - Too much influence from Crown Casino.
I do really like Docklands, St Kilda, Albert Park and Port Phillip Bay. All are really, really pleasant places to be. On its own, I think St Kilda might be the best place in Australia. I really like Formula One being there too!


It's not Brisbane:
    - Too hot in summer.
    - They have billboards with Pauline on them (symptomatic of a wider problem that Queensland has)!
    - Too many dangerous animals due to the heat. Brisbane is actually a really, really nice place however waking up one morning and discovering a Brown Snake on your garden path (happened to a friend) is not something that I'm willing to risk.

It's not Adelaide, because Adelaide is boring, too hot in Summer and the half hour timezone change is a pain.

The correct Australian City is Gold Coast....right up until you meet the locals #bogans. Maybe the correct Australian city is Adelaide afterall?

melpax wrote:
The correct Australian city has to be Melbourne!
Our coffee rocks (there is a reason why Starbucks were virtually run out of town here...) Virtually every cuisine is represented by multiple resturants.
Sport. You would be hard pressed to find another city that has as much major sporting events spread out during the year. Multiple international Cricket matches in the summer (Boxing Day test). Aus Open tennis, F1 Grand Prix, Superbikes, A league Soccer, the AFL season, culminating in the AFL grand final, major horse races during the year, with the Spring Racing Carnival including the Melbourne Cup & Oaks Day - Cup week is a big party week here. There is a major sporting event virtually every weekend, usually multiple events happening.
Lots of cool, funky small bars. If you don't like the bar you're at, there'll usually be a better one around the corner!
As much as we like to diss them, the road & train networks are very good, and money is finally starting to be spent on these.

All such good points!

melpax wrote:
There are no real 'no go zones', even though the media likes to scaremonger about the crime rate. We are now a city of 5 million, and a lot of folks (my parents included) are having trouble coming to terms that we're now a major world city, and no longer a provincial backwater.

Maybe not 'no go zones' but Southbank and the CBD are filled with rowdy drunks who do loads of stupid shit from about 9PM onwards.

melpax wrote:
If you want the quiet, unrushed & uncrowded Melbourne of the 80's & 90's, there is Adelaide for that!!

:lol: So true, but that's part of Adelaide's character, right?
 
cpd
Posts: 6791
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: The correct Australian city

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:49 pm

RetroRoo wrote:
And before people pipe up with talk of coffee and laneways in the world's second-most liveable city (the flat plain that hosts Victoria's capital city), Sydney is clearly Australia's primo metropolis.

*Mods: Please close thread. Question answered.


Agreed, support locking thread.

zkojq wrote:
It's not Sydney:

    - Too expensive.
    - Too much traffic.
    - Airport has a curfew.
    - Too crowded.
    - I can't think of any adjectives that can accurately describe Western Sydney.
    - The harbour is nice though; like a slightly better/smaller version of Auckland. Bondi, Coogee and Maroubra are all really nice though.

It's not Melbourne:
    -Too expensive (nearly as bad as Sydney).
    - Too many smokers (the difference between SYD and MEL is quite noticeable).
    - Too far between the CBD and airport.
    - Thunderstorm Asthma.
    - Most of the CBD on the North Bank between Southern Cross, Fitzroy and Federation Square gives off really bad vibes.
    - I've been assaulted, spat at, had bottles thrown at me far too many times. The frequency that stuff like this occurs after dark in Melbourne is just crazy - this never happens in Sydney.
    - Too much influence from Crown and The Packers.
    - Way too many homeless people along Swanston Street and outside Flinders Street Station is crazy.
    - Too much influence from Crown Casino.
I do really like Docklands, St Kilda, Albert Park and Port Phillip Bay. All are really, really pleasant places to be. On its own, I think St Kilda might be the best place in Australia. I really like Formula One being there too!


It's not Brisbane:
    - Too hot in summer.
    - They have billboards with Pauline on them (symptomatic of a wider problem that Queensland has)!
    - Too many dangerous animals due to the heat. Brisbane is actually a really, really nice place however waking up one morning and discovering a Brown Snake on your garden path (happened to a friend) is not something that I'm willing to risk.

It's not Adelaide, because Adelaide is boring, too hot in Summer and the half hour timezone change is a pain.

The correct Australian City is Gold Coast....right up until you meet the locals #bogans. Maybe the correct Australian city is Adelaide afterall?

melpax wrote:
The correct Australian city has to be Melbourne!
Our coffee rocks (there is a reason why Starbucks were virtually run out of town here...) Virtually every cuisine is represented by multiple resturants.
Sport. You would be hard pressed to find another city that has as much major sporting events spread out during the year. Multiple international Cricket matches in the summer (Boxing Day test). Aus Open tennis, F1 Grand Prix, Superbikes, A league Soccer, the AFL season, culminating in the AFL grand final, major horse races during the year, with the Spring Racing Carnival including the Melbourne Cup & Oaks Day - Cup week is a big party week here. There is a major sporting event virtually every weekend, usually multiple events happening.
Lots of cool, funky small bars. If you don't like the bar you're at, there'll usually be a better one around the corner!
As much as we like to diss them, the road & train networks are very good, and money is finally starting to be spent on these.

All such good points!

melpax wrote:
There are no real 'no go zones', even though the media likes to scaremonger about the crime rate. We are now a city of 5 million, and a lot of folks (my parents included) are having trouble coming to terms that we're now a major world city, and no longer a provincial backwater.

Maybe not 'no go zones' but Southbank and the CBD are filled with rowdy drunks who do loads of stupid shit from about 9PM onwards.

melpax wrote:
If you want the quiet, unrushed & uncrowded Melbourne of the 80's & 90's, there is Adelaide for that!!

:lol: So true, but that's part of Adelaide's character, right?


What exactly is wrong with Western Sydney? Why don't you spend some time there and see what the news and internet doesn't tell you about.

I'm fortunate to live about 20 minutes away from my work, I can ride a bicycle there and usually have people I know joining me along the way. That's a nice way to start or end the day.

I'm very glad to not be working in the Sydney CBD nowadays. Sure I don't see Sydney Harbour anymore- but I DO see three hours of my day returned back to me. That makes a huge difference.
 
benjjk
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:29 am

Re: The correct Australian city

Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:52 am

I’ve just moved to Western Sydney and the best thing about it is you don’t have to put up with snobs looking down their nose on the suburbs :)

Seriously though it does have its problems but I get the impression that it has come a long way in the last decade or so. It's very multicultural with some nice restaurant strips as a result, and from where I am getting to work in the CBD only takes about 40 minutes on the train. However there does seem to be an oversupply of bogans being rude to service people...

Having grown up in Canberra I think it is definitely an underrated city especially if you have a young family:

- Good roads
- Most places are only ever 20 minutes away
- Very safe
- Lots of nature activities, plus day trips to the beach or ski fields
- Cold winter mornings aside, the weather is pretty good, usually clear still skies with decent enough temperatures.

But of course:

- There's just really nothing happening...
 
bunumuring
Posts: 2555
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Re: The correct Australian city

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:39 pm

Hey guys,
I totally agree with cpd and benjjk.... Western Sydney may not be perfect but zkojq is SO wrong. I am a proud product of south-west Sydney and while it's not perfect, it doesn't deserve the insults of zkojq.
He/she has lost all credibility in my eyes.
I am currently spending the week in Adelaide, and with every visit, I am more impressed with the city. Stunning weather today, a forward thinking government and commercial sector plus real care and concern for the environment ... And a 'human-scale' inclusive and highly liveable city. Way to go, Adelaide!
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
 
User avatar
Flyingdevil737
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:26 pm

Re: The correct Australian city

Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:06 pm

Hobart

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dobilan and 39 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos